Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gahrns-imap-namespace-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:04:35 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IMAP4 Namespace
	Author(s)	: C. Newman, M. Gahrns
	Filename	: draft-gahrns-imap-namespace-07.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 22-Dec-97
	
   IMAP4[RFC-2060] does not define a default server namespace. As a
   result, two common namespace models have evolved:
 
   The ''Personal Mailbox'' model, in which the default namespace that is
   presented consists of only the user's personal mailboxes. To access
   shared mailboxes, the user must use an escape mechanism to reach
   another namespace.
 
   The ''Complete Hierarchy'' model, in which the default namespace that
   is presented includes the user's personal mailboxes along with any
   other mailboxes they have access to.
 
   These two models, create difficulties for certain client operations.
   This document defines a NAMESPACE command that allows a client to
   discover the prefixes of namespaces used by a server for personal
   mailboxes, other users' mailboxes, and shared mailboxes.  This
   allows a client to avoid much of the manual user configuration that
   is now necessary when mixing and matching IMAP4 clients and servers.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gahrns-imap-namespace-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-gahrns-imap-namespace-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gahrns-imap-namespace-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.