Subject: Final Program - 8 Maryland Workshop on High Speed Networks

From: Account of Maryland Center for Telecommunications Research <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:52:30 -0500 (EST)

FINAL PROGRAM
              8th Maryland Workshop on Very High Speed Networks

                            November 12-13, 1997
                   at the University Center Ballroom, UMBC

                                Organized by
               Maryland Center for Telecommunications Research
          Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
                   University of Maryland Baltimore County

                                Supported By
        Cisco Systems, NASA,  CESDIS and College of Engineering/UMBC

                                   Agenda
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DATE           NAME/ORGANIZATION                      TOPIC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 WEDNESDAY

            Keynote Speech
9:00-9:45   Joseph Berthold                 Optical Networking: The Next
            Ciena                           Generation

9:45-10:30  Deepinder Sidhu                 Emerging Network Technologies -
            MCTR/UMBC                       An Overview
                      Cofee break

10:45-11:15 Magda El Zarki,                 Video over IP using RSVP and
            University of Pennsylvania      RTP

             D. Reininger and D.
11:15-11:45 Raychaudhuri,                   Soft QoS Control in High-Speed
            NEC C&C Laboratories            Multimedia Networking Scenarios

11:45-12:15 Raj Jain,                       Current Issues in ATM Traffic
            Ohio State University           Management
                      Lunch break
                                            Design-Assisted Routing and
1:30-2:00   Debasis Mitra                   Resource Management in
            Lucent Technologies
                                            Broadband Networking
                                            IP Switching: Technical
2:00-2:30   Tom Lyon                        Underpinnings and Practical
            IPsilon
                                            Applications
            George Swallow and Mike Lavender
2:30-3:00                                   Multi-Protocol Label Swapping:
            Cisco                           An IETF Update
                      Cofee break

3:15-3:45   Atul Bansal                      Building the Intelligent ATM
            Fore Systems                    Infrastructure

3:45-4:15   Jian Li and Vab Goel            IP over SONET
            Sprint

4:15-4:45   Terry Rolon                     Gigabit Ethernet
            Foundry Networks

4:45-5:15   <TBD>                           <TBD - Gigabit Ethernet>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
THURSDAY
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                            Models and Algorithms for
9:00-9:30   Hui Zhang,                      Hierarchical Resource
            Carnegie Mellon University      Management In Integrated
                                            Services Networks

9:30-10:00  Zygmunt Haas,                   Routing Protocols for Highly
            Cornell University              Reconfigurable Ad-Hoc Networks

            Arvind Krishna, P. Bhagwat, P.
10:00-10:30 Bhattacharya and R.O. LaMaire    Proxy-Based Networking for
            IBM Watson Research Center      Mobile Devices

                      Cofee break
                                            
10:45-11:15 George Strawn, NSF, and         Overview of the Federal Next
            Dick desJardins, NSA            Generation Internet (NGI)
                                            Initiative
                                            
                                            The Internet2 Project of the
11:15-11:45 Javad Boroumand, ISI, and       University Consortium for
            Guy Almes, UCAID                Advanced Internet Development
                                            (UCAID), and its Relationship
                                            to NGI

11:45-12:15 John Steedman, NASA, and        NASA Earth Science Applications
            Andy Germain, Swales Aerospace  Prototyping over NGI

                      Lunch break

1:30-2:00   Craig Labovitz,                 Internet Routing Instability
            MERIT                           and  Network Performance

            Allison Mankin and Hilary
2:00-2:30   Orman                           Research Perspectives on
            ISI                             DARPA's CAIRN Testbed

            Guru Parulkar+, Fred Kuhns+,
            Hari Adiseshu+, John DeHart+,
            Bernhard Plattner*, Dan
2:30-3:00   Decasper*, Marcel Waldvogel*    Scalable Integrated Services
            +Washington University, St.     Router over Cell Switched IPv6
            Louis, Missouri
            * Swiss Federal Institute of
            Technology, Zurich

                      Cofee break

3:15-3:45   Russell Doyen                   Sailor II: High Bandwidth
            Sailor Network                  Networking in Maryland

                                            Global Optical Undersea
3:45-4:15   Casem Majd,                     Networks for Transporting
            AT&T Submarine Systems          Heterogeneous Bitrates and Data
                                            Formats

4:15-4:45   Arun Welch and Dave Beering,    Experimental Results of Running
            NASA Lewis                      TCP/IP over ATM on ACTS HDR
------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: <> denotes to be confirmed.

Maryland Center for Telecommunications Research
Last modified: Thu Oct 29 12:59:49 EDT 1997