Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nichols-dsopdef-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:46:59 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Differentiated Services Operational Model 
                          and Definitions
	Author(s)	: K. Nichols, S. Blake
	Filename	: draft-nichols-dsopdef-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 11-Feb-98
	
   Differentiated services are intended to provide scalable service
   discrimination in the Internet without the need for per-flow state
   and signaling at every hop.  The differentiated services approach to
   providing quality of service in networks employs a small, well-
   defined set of building blocks from which a variety of services may
   be built.  The services may be either end-to-end or intra-domain.  A
   wide range of services can be provided by a combination of:
 
   - setting bits in the TOS octet at network edges and administrative
     boundaries,
   - using those bits to determine how packets are treated by the
     routers inside the network, and
   - conditioning the marked packets at network boundaries in accordance
     with the requirements of each service.
 
   A differentiated-services-capable network node includes a classifier
   that selects packets based on the TOS octet and is capable of
   delivering the treatment corresponding to that marking of the TOS
   octet.  Setting of the TOS octet and other conditioning of the
   dynamic behavior of marked packets need only be performed at network
   boundaries and may vary in complexity.  This draft presents a
   differentiated services definition of the TOS octet and the
   operational model behind that definition.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nichols-dsopdef-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nichols-dsopdef-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nichols-dsopdef-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.