Subject: RE: A Third Option

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:58:12 -0600

On Monday, February 16, 1998 6:02 AM, John Charles Broomfield[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
<snip>
@
@Jim,
@	You seem to be missing a simple detail. Who/what/how decides what
@TLD should be managed by what organisation, and why should it be done in
@such & such a way?

You are missing a detail...there are NOW people and
companies ACTIVE in the Registry Industry...let them
make these decisions via a light-weight governance plan.

All you have to do is provide some simple structure
at the root. The current people that control the root do
not want to do this. They have structured everything
else under the sun, why not the root ?

The IPv8 Plan creates such a structure. It is very simple
and requires no central dictator. All it requires is that
the participants in the industry understand where they
sit at a huge round table. Is that so hard ?

=======

Given this structure, people ask, "How does one start a
TLD registry ?". My answer is...follow these 6 simple steps
that are not easy but will help guide people that are serious
about the Registry Industry.

1. SOCIALIZATION - The first step begins when a company
decides to enter the Registry Industry and socializes their
intentions. This could be as simple as, "XYZ company is
interested in starting a new Top Level Domain Registry to
support one of the following three names....XYZ, ZZY, XXX.
This phase is intended to generate early feedback and to
allow new people to find out how wide-spread the Registry
Industry is and where they should seek support, etc.

2. INITIAL NOTIFICATION PHASE - If a company whethers
Step #1, they should take some steps to notify the various
Root Name Server Confederations in a semi-formal way.
This step is intended to say, "We are serious and moving
forward based on the mostly positive feedback from Step #1".
During this phase, some have suggested that lists like
DOMAIN POLICY and RSCTALK be used to notify the world.
Also, some have suggested that ads be placed in publications
like the Wall Street Journal.

3. SERIOUS DISCUSSION PHASE - This phase is intended
to encourage wide-spread public discussion. The NEW
registry is expected to respond to the various comments
and to summarize the results for the Root Name Server
Confederations. Some people feel the RSCs should try to
refrain from commenting during this phase, so as not to
bias the discussions.

4. RSC DELEGATE DISCUSSION PHASE - After all of the
public comments are summarized, the RSCs are expected
to give brief (yes/no) opinions, feedback, etc. The purpose
of this phase is to have the delegates of the RSCs give their
final opinion, pending the result of the real vote which occurs
in Phase #5

5. VOTING (APPLICATION) PHASE - If the registry has
made it this far, then Steps #5 and #6 should be viewed
as the point of no return. In this step, the Registry should
make sure prototype infrastructure is in place and make
sure that they start applying to the various Root Name
Server Confederations for entry. The results of all of these
applications and deployments should be summarized. If
things still do not go well, there should be a chance to
back out. Each of the RSCs has their own criteria for entry,
their own application forms, etc. It is up to the NEW registry
to do all of the work to get their TLD visible in each of the
RSCs.

6. DEPLOYMENT - The Registry is going to make it.
There is no turning back. Customers are brought into the
process and the Registry takes its place in the Registry
Industry with the confidence that they will not be denied
entry from 100% of the Root Name Server Confederations
and the Registry Industry can welcome the NEW Registry
with the knowledge that they did not walk in, slap $10,000
on the table and claim they are a registry. They have
endured 5 previous stages of industry comments, public
comments, industry comments, voting, etc.

=====

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI

---

From: Kent Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:22:45 -0800

> make these decisions via a light-weight governance plan.

Jim, just yesterday I saw an article in the San Francisco Chronicle
about an enterprising individual who will sell you 1800 acres of lunar
real estate for $15.99, plus the "lunar tax" (whatever that is).  I
suppose this means that there is a lunar real estate "industry", as
well. 

-- 
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
[email-masked]			the thief he kindly spoke...
PGP fingerprint:   B1 8B 72 ED 55 21 5E 44  61 F4 58 0F 72 10 65 55
http://songbird.com/kent/pgp_key.html