Subject: Protocol Action: The TLS Protocol Version 1.0 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:38:09 -0500

[Private Note to IESG: This is a re-issue of an old ballot. Version -05
addresses the concerns raised by the IESG and others during the first
balloting procedure. Specifically this version mandates that implementers at
least support a Diffie-Hellman (non-proprietary) cipher suite). The current
version on-line is version -04 which is not significantly different from
version -05 which has been sent in to Internet Drafts and I hope will be
on-line shortly.]

  The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "The TLS Protocol  Version 1.0"
  <draft-ietf-tls-protocol-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This document is
  the product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group. The IESG
  contact person is Jeffrey Schiller.

Technical Summary

  This  document specifies  Version 1.0 of  the Transport Layer Security
  (TLS) protocol. The TLS  protocol provides communications privacy over
  the Internet.   The  protocol allows   client/server  applications  to
  communicate  in a way    that  is designed to prevent    eavesdropping,
  tampering, or message forgery.

Working Group Summary

  This document reflects the consensus of the working group.  There were
  no issues raised during the last call.

Protocol Quality

  This document  was  reviewed by  for   the IESG by  Jeff Schiller.  It
  appears  to properly provide  the security services it claims. Perhaps
  more  importantly it is the  product of an  evolutionary process where
  implementations  have been coded  and tested  in the  real world. This
  protocol is based on the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), which is deployed
  in commercially available  Web  browsers from Netscape  and Microsoft.
  In  addition  several  toolkits  are  available  for  implementers  to
  incorporate into other Internet tools.