Subject: Re: [URN] URI documents -- "# fragment"

From: "Sam Sun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:29:58 -0500

From: Foteos Macrides <[email-masked]>
>The #fragment was specified as a way of providing instructions to a
>client via a URI-reference, is positional, and is not considered part
>of the URI.

I think it might help to address the terminology first.

If we don't call

http://www.ietf.org/filename.html#section

a URI or URL, what do we call it?  The draft
(http://ringer.etl.go.jp/net/ftp/internic/internet-drafts/draft-fielding-uri
-syntax-01.txt)
call it a URI-reference. But I think most people will call it a URI
(actually URL).

And the mere different between having "#..." or not  is that:

http://www.ietf.org/filename.html

      identifies the file 'filename.html' at 'www.ietf.org'.

http://www.ietf.org/filename.html

     identifies the section 'section' at 'www.ietf.org/filename.html'.

They are both used to location a (portion) of web resource by location.
And I don't see the benefit of defining the additional term 'URI-Reference'
vs 'URI' here.

Further, I think it would help if we address the question that whether the
generic URI parser (which handles URI-Reference, as in HTParse.c
in libwww) should handle the portion "#......" regardless of the URI
scheme or not.

While it makes sense for 'http' URL or 'ftp' URL to cut the "#..." off
at the client side, it's not so appropriate for other kind of URI
schemes (eg. mailto, telnet, ldap, ... ... ... ... ... ... and new ones
are keep coming :).

Regards,
Sam
[email-masked]

---

From: "John C. Mallery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 00:27:02 -0500

Fragment URNs are now live.

See bottom of http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/

Nota Bene: the delimiter is $ per Ryan Moats suggestion.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:57:01 -0500 (EST)

To put this in a bit more context...

> Nota Bene: the delimiter is $ per Ryan Moats suggestion.

This is fragments in a particular namespace, which has a more
constrained world-view than the general URN case (e.g., documents
have declared media types).

Leslie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "_Be_                                           Leslie Daigle
             where  you                           
                          _are_."                 Bunyip Information Systems
                                                  (514) 875-8611
                      -- ThinkingCat              [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------