Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wasserman-ipv6-nd-division-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:43:30 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Division of IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Into Separable Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: M. Wasserman
	Filename	: draft-wasserman-ipv6-nd-division-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 14-Jan-98
	
This memo proposes a formal division of the existing IPv6 Neighbor
Discovery protocol into eight separable, related mechanisms: Address
Resolution, Duplicate Address Detection (DAD), Router Discovery,
Prefix/Parameter Discovery, Address Autoconfiguration, Router
Unreachability Detection (RUD), Neighbor Unreachability Detection
(NUD) and ICMPv6 Redirects.  These mechanisms all depend upon a common
set of ICMPv6 Neighbor Discovery messages, but can be enabled and
disabled independently, subject to the restrictions and
recommendations outlined in this draft.
 
It is not the intention of this memo to propose substantive changes to
the existing IPv6 Neighbor Discovery protocol, but to allow the
separate portions of IPv6 Neighbor Discovery to be unambiguously
identified, making it possible to specify or configure different
portions of IPv6 Neighbor Discovery for use on specific link-types,
links or interfaces.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wasserman-ipv6-nd-division-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-wasserman-ipv6-nd-division-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wasserman-ipv6-nd-division-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.