Subject: Protocol Action: Generic Packet Tunneling in IPv6 Specification to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 07:33:10 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Generic Packet Tunneling in
IPv6 Specification' <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-tunnel-08.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the IPNG Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
 This document specifies a method and generic mechanisms by which a
  packet is encapsulated and carried as payload within an IPv6 packet.
  The resulting packet is called an IPv6 tunnel packet. The forwarding
  path between the source and destination of the tunnel packet is called
  an IPv6 tunnel. The technique is called IPv6 tunneling. The document
  also discusses specific mechanisms for tunneling IPv6 and IPv4 packets.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.