Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-howard-nis-schema-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:04:37 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Approach for Using LDAP 
                          as a Network Information Service
	Author(s)	: L. Howard
	Filename	: draft-howard-nis-schema-01.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 18-Nov-97
	
This document describes an experimental mechanism for mapping
   entities related to TCP/IP and the UNIX system into X.500 [X500]
   entries so that they may be resolved with the Lightweight Directory
   Access Protocol [LDAPV3]. A set of attribute types and object classes
   are proposed, along with specific guidelines for interpreting them.
 
   The intention is to assist the deployment of LDAP as an
   organizational nameservice. No proposed solutions are intended as
   standards for the Internet. Rather, it is hoped that a general
   consensus will emerge as to the appropriate solution to such
   problems, leading eventually to the adoption of standards. The
   proposed mechanism has already been implemented with some success.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-howard-nis-schema-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-howard-nis-schema-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-howard-nis-schema-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.