Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-abela-utf9-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 09:35:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: UTF-9, a transformation format of UCS
	Author(s)	: J. Abela
	Filename	: draft-abela-utf9-00.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 24-Dec-97
	
   ISO/IEC 10646 defines a multi-octet character set called the
   Universal Character Set (UCS) which encompasses most of the world's
   writing systems.  Multi-octet characters, however, are not compatible
   with many current applications and protocols, and this has led to the
   development of a few so-called UCS transformation formats (UTF), each
   with different characteristics.  UTF-9, the object of this memo, has
   the characteristic of preserving the full ISO-Latin1 range, providing
   compatibility with file systems, parsers and other software that rely
   on ISO-Latin1 values.
 
   ISO-Latin1 is almost as widespread as ASCII in many countries,
   especially in most of western Europe, and is the default character
   set for HTML.  A compatible encoding seems desirable, where possible.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-abela-utf9-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-abela-utf9-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-abela-utf9-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.