Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-crs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 09:35:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Certificate Request Syntax
	Author(s)	: H. Prafullchandra, B. Fox, X. Liu, 
                          M. Myers, J. Weinstein
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-crs-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 26-Nov-97
	
This document defines an Internet PKI Certificate Request Syntax (CRS).
It addresses a growing need within the Internet PKI community for an
interface to public key certification products and services based on
PKCS7 [PKCS7] and PKCS10 [PKCS10]. A small number of additional services
are defined to supplement the core certificate request service. Current
industry practice regarding the use of PKCS7 and PKCS10 is also
documented for the benefit of the Internet community.
 
In general, the use of PKCS7 in this document is aligned to the
Cryptographic Message Syntax [CMS] which provides a superset of the
PKCS7 syntax.  Throughout this document, the term CMS should be taken to
include the PKCS #7 document as defined in [PKCS7].  The term CRS refers
to this specification.
 
The chief differences between CRS and PKIXMGMT are:
 
- Use of PKCS7 for security encapsulation and transaction framework
- Use of PKCS10 as the certification request message content
- Certification of Diffie-Hellman Public Keys based on PKCS10 requests
- No assumption of reliable connectivity or persistent on-line operation
- Single request/response transaction model

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-crs-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-crs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-crs-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.