Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:46:43 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols
	Author(s)	: R. Herriot, T. Hastings, N. Jacobs, J. Martin
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-02.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 24-Nov-97
	
     This Internet-Draft specifies the mapping between (1) the commands
     and operands of the ''Line Printer Daemon (LPD) Protocol'' specified
     in RFC 1179 and (2) the operations and parameters of the Internet
     Printing Protocol (IPP).  One of the purposes of this document is
     to compare the functionality of the two protocols.  Another purpose
     is to facilitate implementation of gateways between LPD and IPP.
 
     This document is an informational document that is not on the
     standards track.  It is intended to help implementors of gateways
     between IPP and LPD.  It also provides an example,  which gives
     additional insight into IPP.
 
     WARNING:  RFC 1179 was not on standards track.  While RFC 1179 was
     intended to record existing practice, it fell short in some areas.
     However, this specification maps between (1) the actual current
     practice of RFC 1179 and (2) IPP.  This document does not attempt
     to map the numerous divergent extensions to the LPD protocol that
     have been made by many implementers.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.