Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:06:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the HyperText Transfer Protocol Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1
	Author(s)	: J. Mogul, T. Berners-Lee, L. Masinter, 
                          P. Leach, R. Fielding, H. Nielsen, J. Gettys
	Filename	: draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-01.txt
	Pages		: 165
	Date		: 26-Nov-97
	
       The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is an application-level protocol
       for distributed, collaborative, hypermedia information systems. It is a
       generic, stateless, object-oriented protocol which can be used for many
       tasks, such as name servers and distributed object management systems,
       through extension of its request methods. A feature of HTTP is the
       typing and negotiation of data representation, allowing systems to be
       built independently of the data being transferred.
 
       HTTP has been in use by the World-Wide Web global information initiative
       since 1990. This specification defines the protocol referred to as
       ''HTTP/1.1''.
 
       The issues list for HTTP/1.1 can be found at:
       http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Issues/.
 
       This draft does not resolve all open issues in the HTTP/1.1
       specification requiring closure before HTTP/1.1 goes to draft standard.
       It does, however, close most of them, and note where in the document
       there are still significant issues under discussion.  The best way to
       view this document is to get a copy of the Word 97 document found at:
       http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-
       01.doc; all issues are noted as comments in the source document, with
       hyperlinks to the Issues list.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.