Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 09:50:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Minimal PSTN address format in Internet Mail
	Author(s)	: C. Allocchio
	Filename	: draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-01.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 06-Jan-98
	
   Since the very first e-mail to PSTN services gateway appeared, a
   number of different methods to specify a PSTN address as an e-mail
   address have been used by implementors. Two major objectives for
   this were
 
     - enable an e-mail user to access these services from his/her
       e-mail interface;
 
     - enable some kind of ''PSTN over e-mail service'' transport, to
       reduce the costs of PSTN long distance transmissions, and use
       the existing e-mail infrastructure.
 
   This memo describes the MINIMAL addressing method to encode PSTN
   addresses into e-mail addresses and the standard extension mechanism
   to allow definition of further standard elements. The opposite problem,
   i.e. to allow a traditional numeric-only PSTN device user to access
   the e-mail transport service, is not discussed here.

   All implementations supporting this PSTN over e-mail service MUST
   support as a minimum the specification described in this document.
   The generic complex case of converting the whole PSTN addressing
   into e-mail is out of scope in this minimal specification: there
   is some work in progress in the field, where also a number of
   standard optional extensions are being defined.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.