Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-burg-pint-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:55:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Architecture and Protocols for Initiation and 
                          Control of Telephone Calls  From Terminals Connected 
                          to a CallBroker over a TCP/IP Connection
	Author(s)	: T. DeSimone, K. Tewani, F. Burg, R. Vishwanathan
	Filename	: draft-burg-pint-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 30-Dec-97
	
This Internet Draft describes a framework, consistent with the model defined
in the PINT group in the IETF, for controlling voice and voice-band data
(e.g., FAX) calls on the PSTN from an IP Client. As such, it is solely
concerned with call control and associated functions. It is not concerned
with how to convert packetized voice into a form suitable for carriage over
the PSTN.
 
We introduce a logical entity (called CallBroker) that initiates and manages
calls on the PSTN and controls the session on behalf of an IP Client to
establish a telephone connection between two or more end points specified by
the customer (i.e., IP Client). By way of this session, as mediated by the
Call Broker, the customer can set up calls and receive notifications
regarding the status of the calls and its participants.
 
The interface between the CallBroker and the Service Control Function (as
defined in the work on Intelligent Network Standards in ITU-T) in the
Service Node (SN) in the PSTN will be defined and standardized as part of
this activity. The interface between the IP client and the CallBroker also
nees to be defined and standardized as part of this activity.
 
This Internet Draft further advances the discussion on the issues involved in interconnecting the Internet and the Public Switched Telephone Networks (PSTNs), focusing on potential interfaces between Internet-based entities
and Intelligent Network (I.N.) entities. The services identified and
discussed earlier (e.g., Click-to-Dial, Click-to-FAX, etc.) can be provided using the architecture identified here.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-burg-pint-framework-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-burg-pint-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-burg-pint-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.