Subject: Internet Monthly Report for December, 1997

From: IMR Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 10:46:48 -0800

December 1997

INTERNET MONTHLY REPORTS
------------------------

The purpose of these reports is to communicate to the Internet Research
Group the accomplishments, milestones reached, or problems discovered by
the participating organizations.

Each organization is expected to submit a 1/2 page report on the first
business day of the month describing the previous month's activities.
These reports should be submitted via network mail to "[email-masked]".

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The Internet Monthly Report mailing list is now managed by MajorDomo at
ISI.EDU.  The announcements of new issues on the Internet Monthly Report
are sent to the IETF-Announce list and to this IMR list.

Requests to be ADDED or DELETED from the Internet Monthly report list
should be sent to "[email-masked]" with the message body either
"subscribe imr" or "unsubscribe imr".

Details on obtaining the current IMR, or back issues, via FTP or EMAIL
may be obtained by sending an EMAIL message to "[email-masked]" with
the message body "help: ways_to_get_imrs".  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting imrs

        help: ways_to_get_imrs

or  URL: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/

Ramos                                                           [Page 1]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     IAB MESSAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3
     INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3

  Internet Projects

     INTERNIC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       Registration Services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       Directory Services. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       US Domain Registry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
     MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 19
     UCL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 22
     IANA REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 22
     RFC EDITOR REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 23

  CALENDAR OF EVENTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 24
    TERENA List of Meetings . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 27

Ramos                                                           [Page 2]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     The minutes of the IAB back to 1990 are available for anonymous ftp
     access on host ftp.isi.edu, directory /pub/IAB, or via the IAB
     World-Wide Web page with URL http://www.iab.org/iab/.

     Brian Carpenter IAB Chair

INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS
----------------------------

  1. The IETF will meet in Los Angeles from March 30 - April, 3, 1998
     and then in Chicago August 24-28. We're still looking into the
     final meeting of 1998.

     Once all arrangements have been made, notifications will be sent
     to the IETF Announcement list. Remember that information on
     future meetng sites can always be found in the file
     0mtg-sites.txt, located on the IETF shadow directories. Of
     course, this information is provided on the Web. The IETF's URL
     is:

                          http://www.ietf.org/

  2. The minutes of the IESG teleconferences be found on all the IETF
     shadow directories in the iesg directory.

     The following IESG minutes have been added:

        November 20, 1997 (iesg.97-11-20)

  3. The IESG approved or recommended the following 19 Protocol
     Actions during the month of December:

     o Internet Nomenclator Project for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Simple Nomenclator Query Protocol (SNQP) for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL) for publication as
       a Proposed Standard.

     o RTP Payload Format for MPEG1/MPEG2 Video for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 3]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     o Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol Version 1 for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): Attribute Syntax
       Definitions for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): UTF-8 String
       Representation of Distinguished Names for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o The String Representation of LDAP Search Filters for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3) for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o The LDAP URL Format for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o A Summary of the X.500(96) User Schema for use with LDAPv3 for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Using Domains in LDAP/X.500 Distinguished Names for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o Mail Monitoring MIB for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Network Services Monitoring MIB for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network
       Management Protocol (SNMP) for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o SNMPv3 Applications for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of the Simple
       Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3) for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network
       Management Protocol (SNMP) for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 4]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

  4. Six Last Calls were issued by the IESG during the month of
     December:

     o Architectural Principles of Uniform Resource Name Resolution
       <draft-ietf-urn-req-frame-04> for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) <draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-06>
       for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled Applications
       <draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03> for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o SDP: Session Description Protocol <draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-05>
       for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o IP Version 6 over PPP <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-over-ppp-04> for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Token Ring Networks
       <draft-ietf-ipngwg-trans-tokenring-04> for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

  5. There were 183 Internet-Draft Actions during the month of
     December:

     (ion)      o NBMA Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP)
                  <draft-ietf-rolc-nhrp-13.txt>
     (idmr)     o Protocol Independent Multicast MIB
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-pim-mib-04.txt>
     (idmr)     o IP Multicast Routing MIB
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-multicast-routmib-06.txt>
     (cat)      o Independent Data Unit Protection Generic Security
                  Service Application Program Interface
                  (IDUP-GSS-API) <draft-ietf-cat-idup-gss-09.txt>
     (mobileip) o Route Optimization in Mobile IP
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-optim-07.txt>
     (dhc)      o Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6
                  (DHCPv6) <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-11.txt>
     (none)     o Photuris: Session Key Management Protocol
                  <draft-simpson-photuris-17.txt>
     (mmusic)   o SDP: Session Description Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-05.txt,.ps>
     (idmr)     o A ''traceroute'' facility for IP Multicast.
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-traceroute-ipm-02.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 5]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (madman)   o Mail Monitoring MIB
                  <draft-ietf-madman-mail-monitor-mib-06.txt>
     (madman)   o Network Services Monitoring MIB
                  <draft-ietf-madman-nsm-mib-07.txt>
     (http)     o PEP - an Extension Mechanism for HTTP
                  <draft-ietf-http-pep-05.txt>
     (ids)      o The CCSO Nameserver (Ph) Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-ids-ph-04.txt>
     (mobileip) o Mobility Support in IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-04.txt>
     (wts)      o Security Extensions For HTML
                  <draft-ietf-wts-shtml-04.txt>
     (dhc)      o Extensions for the Dynamic Host Configuration
                  Protocol for IPv6 <draft-ietf-dhc-v6exts-08.txt>
     (ion)      o Server Cache Synchronization Protocol (SCSP)
                  <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-03.txt>
     (rsvp)     o RSVP Diagnostic Messages
                  <draft-ietf-rsvp-diagnostic-msgs-03.txt>
     (none)     o Photuris: Extended Schemes and Attributes
                  <draft-simpson-photuris-schemes-04.txt>
     (issll)    o Interoperation of Controlled-Load and
                  Guaranteed-Service with ATM
                  <draft-ietf-issll-atm-mapping-04.txt>
     (asid)     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
                  Extensions for Dynamic Directory Services
                  <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-07.txt>
     (issll)    o SBM (Subnet Bandwidth Manager): A Proposal for
                  Admission Control over IEEE 802-style networks
                  <draft-ietf-issll-is802-bm-05.txt>
     (none)     o Internet Calendar Access Protocol (ICAP)
                  <draft-oleary-icap-03.txt>
     (ediint)   o Requirements for Inter-operable Internet EDI
                  <draft-ietf-ediint-req-04.txt>
     (stdguide) o Guide for Internet Standards Writers
                  <draft-ietf-stdguide-ops-05.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Secret Key Transaction Signatures for DNS (TSIG)
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-tsig-02.txt>
     (issll)    o A Framework for Providing Integrated Services Over
                  Shared and Switched IEEE 802 LAN Technologies
                  <draft-ietf-issll-is802-framework-03.txt>
     (ediint)   o MIME-based Secure EDI
                  <draft-ietf-ediint-as1-05.txt>
     (roamops)  o The Network Access Identifier
                  <draft-ietf-roamops-nai-08.txt>
     (ftpext)   o Extended Directory Listing and Restart Mechanism
                  for FTP <draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-03.txt>
     (ssh)      o Users' Security Handbook
                  <draft-ietf-ssh-users-04.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 6]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (ftpext)   o Internationalization of the File Transfer Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-ftpext-intl-ftp-03.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Service Templates and service: Schemes
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-06.txt>
     (ids)      o Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled
                  Applications <draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03.txt>
     (vrrp)     o Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-04.txt>
     (radius)   o RADIUS Attributes for Tunnel Protocol Support
                  <draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-auth-04.txt>
     (drums)    o Internet Message Format Standard
                  <draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt-03.txt>
     (none)     o MTP/SO: Self-Organizing Multicast
                  <draft-bormann-mtp-so-01.txt>
     (mmusic)   o Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-06.txt,.ps>
     (avt)      o Compressing IP/UDP/RTP Headers for Low-Speed Serial
                  Links <draft-ietf-avt-crtp-04.txt>
     (disman)   o Distributed Management Framework
                  <draft-ietf-disman-framework-01.txt>
     (none)     o Content Duration MIME Header Definition
                  <draft-ema-vpim-dur-02.txt>
     (calsch)   o Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object
                  Specification (iCalendar)
                  <draft-ietf-calsch-ical-05.txt>
     (fax)      o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - Application F for
                  Facsimile <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-07.txt>
     (spki)     o Simple Public Key Certificate
                  <draft-ietf-spki-cert-structure-04.txt>
     (fax)      o File Format for Internet Fax
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiffplus-05.txt>
     (ospf)     o The OSPF NSSA Option
                  <draft-ietf-ospf-nssa-update-03.txt>
     (qosr)     o A Framework for QoS-based Routing in the Internet
                  <draft-ietf-qosr-framework-02.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Router Renumbering for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-router-renum-02.txt>
     (none)     o Aggregation of Internet Integrated Services State
                  <draft-berson-classy-approach-01.txt,.ps>
     (urn)      o URI Resolution Services Necessary for URN
                  Resolution
                  <draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-04.txt>
     (ion)      o A Distributed NHRP Service Using SCSP
                  <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-nhrp-03.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management
                  Frameworks <draft-ietf-snmpv3-next-gen-arch-07.txt>
     (none)     o DHCP Options For Host System Characteristics
                  <draft-dittert-host-sys-char-01.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 7]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (none)     o IP Header Compression over PPP
                  <draft-engan-ip-compress-02.txt>
     (none)     + Distributed Registration Extension to Mobile IP
                  <draft-chuahli-mobileip-dremip-00.txt>
     (none)     o IMAP4 Namespace
                  <draft-gahrns-imap-namespace-07.txt>
     (calsch)   o iCalendar Message-based Interoperability Protocol
                  (iMIP) <draft-ietf-calsch-imip-03.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple
                  Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-v3mpc-model-07.txt>
     (find)     o MIME Object Definitions for the Common Indexing
                  Protocol (CIP) <draft-ietf-find-cip-mime-01.txt>
     (find)     o The Architecture of the Common Indexing Protocol
                  (CIP) <draft-ietf-find-cip-arch-01.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for the
                  Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-acm-05.txt>
     (none)     o A Description of the RC2(r) Encryption Algorithm
                  <draft-rivest-rc2desc-01.txt>
     (ipsec)    o IP Security Document Roadmap
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-doc-roadmap-02.txt>
     (ipsec)    o The ESP DES-CBC Cipher Algorithm With Explicit IV
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-des-expiv-01.txt>
     (mhtml)    o MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents, such as
                  HTML (MHTML) <draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-04.txt>
     (fax)      o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - image/tiff MIME
                  Sub-type Registration
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-reg-03.txt>
     (cat)      o The Kerberos Network Authentication Service (V5)
                  <draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-revisions-01.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Test and Example Top Level Domain Names
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-test-tlds-06.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of
                  the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-usm-04.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o TLA and NLA Assignment Rules
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-tla-assignment-02.txt>
     (ippcp)    o IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp)
                  <draft-ietf-ippcp-protocol-04.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o SNMPv3 Applications <draft-ietf-snmpv3-appl-05.txt>
     (calsch)   o iCalendar Transport-Independent Interoperability
                  Protocol (iTIP) Scheduling Events, BusyTime, To-dos
                  and Journal Entries <draft-ietf-calsch-itip-02.txt>
     (dnssec)   o Domain Name System Security Extensions
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-secext2-02.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Wide Area Network Service Location
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-wasrv-01.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 8]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (pppext)   o PPP Over FUNI <draft-ietf-pppext-funi-03.txt>
     (acap)     o ACAP Personal Addressbook Dataset Class
                  <draft-ietf-acap-abook-01.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-discovery-v2-01.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-addrconf-v2-01.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-spec-v2-01.txt>
     (lsma)     o Taxonomy of Communication Requirements for
                  Large-scale Multicast Applications
                  <draft-ietf-lsma-requirements-01.txt>
     (issll)    o Integrated Service Mappings on IEEE 802 Networks
                  <draft-ietf-issll-is802-svc-mapping-01.txt>
     (avt)      o An RTP Payload Format for Generic Forward Error
                  Correction <draft-ietf-avt-fec-01.txt>
     (2000)     o The Internet and the Millenium Problem (Year 2000)
                  <draft-ietf-2000-issue-01.txt>
     (none)     o An Internet Firewall Transparency Requirement
                  <draft-freed-firewall-req-02.txt>
     (avt)      o Options for Repair of Streaming Media
                  <draft-ietf-avt-info-repair-01.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Local DNS Names
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-03.txt>
     (ipsec)    o The ESP CBC-Mode Cipher Algorithms
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-cbc-01.txt>
     (none)     o Use of the IPv4 TOS Octet to Support Differential
                  Services <draft-heinanen-diff-tos-octet-01.txt>
     (none)     + Identification of messages delivered via both mail
                  and news <draft-zawinski-posted-mailed-00.txt>
     (grip)     o Security Expectations for Internet Service
                  Providers <draft-ietf-grip-isp-02.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet Public Key Infrastructure Online
                  Certificate Status Protocol - OCSP
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ocsp-01.txt>
     (urlreg)   o Guidelines for new URL Schemes
                  <draft-ietf-urlreg-guide-01.txt>
     (cat)      o User to User Kerberos Authentication using GSS-API
                  <draft-ietf-cat-user2user-02.txt>
     (pppext)   o L2TP Header Compression (''L2TPHC'')
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-l2tphc-01.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Service Location Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-protocol-v2-01.txt>
     (cat)      o Initial Authentication with Kerberos and the
                  GSS-API (IAKERB) <draft-ietf-cat-iakerb-01.txt>
     (none)     o Gateways and MIME Security Multiparts
                  <draft-freed-gatesec-01.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 9]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (none)     o Anti-Spam Requirements on an SMTP MTA
                  <draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-01.txt>
     (manet)    + The Zone Routing Protocol (ZRP) for Ad Hoc Networks
                  <draft-ietf-manet-zone-zrp-00.txt>
     (fax)      o Facsimile over Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-service-01.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP EAP KEA Public Key Authentication Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-eapkea-01.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP Fortezza Encryption Encapsulation Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-feep-01.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP EAP DSS Public Key Authentication Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-eapdss-01.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP Certificate Exchange Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-crtxchg-01.txt>
     (ipsec)    o A GSS-API Authentication Mode for ISAKMP/Oakley
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-gss-auth-01.txt>
     (manet)    + Ad Hoc On Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing
                  <draft-ietf-manet-aodv-00.txt>
     (mobileip) + Registration Keys for Route Optimization
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-regkey-00.txt>
     (mobileip) + Special Tunnels for Mobile IP
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-spectun-00.txt>
     (mobileip) + Tunnel Establishment Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-calhoun-tep-00.txt>
     (iab)      + The Case for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-iab-case-for-ipv6-00.txt>
     (manet)    + Temporally-Ordered Routing Algorithm (TORA) Version
                  1 Functional Specification
                  <draft-ietf-manet-tora-spec-00.txt>
     (manet)    + An Internet MANET Encapsulation Protocol (IMEP)
                  Specification <draft-ietf-manet-imep-spec-00.txt>
     (mobileip) + Rapid Authentication for Mobile IP
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-ra-00.txt>
     (tcpsat)   + Ongoing TCP Research Related to Satellites
                  <draft-ietf-tcpsat-res-issues-00.txt>
     (none)     + LDP Specification <draft-feldman-ldp-spec-00.txt>
     (dnsind)   + Larger Domain Name System UDP Replies
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-udp-size-00.txt>
     (none)     + Heuristics for utilizing ISSL Mechanisms for A/V
                  Streams Over Low Bandwidth Links in the absence of
                  Announcement Protocols
                  <draft-putzolu-heuristic-00.txt>
     (none)     + Persistent Search: A Simple LDAP Change
                  Notification Mechanism
                  <draft-smith-ldap-psearch-00.txt>
     (drums)    + The ''Message-ID'' header
                  <draft-ietf-drums-message-id-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 10]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (none)     + A Proposal for the Format and Semantics of the TOS
                  Byte and Traffic Class Byte in IPv4 and IPv6
                  Headers <draft-ellesson-tos-00.txt>
     (drums)    + Reply-To-Meaning Proposal
                  <draft-ietf-drums-replyto-meaning-00.txt>
     (none)     + Staged Refresh Timers for RSVP
                  <draft-pan-rsvp-timer-00.txt>
     (avt)      + New Results in RTP Scalability
                  <draft-ietf-avt-byerecon-00.txt,.ps>
     (calsch)   + CAP Requirements <draft-ietf-calsch-capreq-00.txt>
     (calsch)   + iCalendar Real-time Interoperability Protocol
                  (iRIP) <draft-ietf-calsch-irip-00.txt>
     (idmr)     + Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 3
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-v3-00.txt>
     (ipngwg)   + Reverse Address lookup in DNS for IPng.
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-reverse-lookup-00.txt>
     (radius)   + RADIUS Accounting Modifications for Tunnel Protocol
                  Support <draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-acct-00.txt>
     (ldapext)  + LDAP Extensions for Scrolling View Browsing of
                  Search Results
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-00.txt>
     (pkix)     + Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
                  Representation of Elliptic Curve Digital Signature
                  Algorithm (ECDSA) Keys and Signatures in Internet
                  X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificates
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-ecdsa-00.txt>
     (pppext)   + Securing L2TP using IPSEC
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-l2tp-security-00.txt>
     (none)     + Protocol for shopping over the Internet
                  <draft-reddy-ishop-00.txt>
     (none)     + Dynamic Tunnel Configuration Protocol
                  <draft-demizu-udlr-dtcp-00.txt>
     (drums)    + The ''Mail-Followup-To'' header
                  <draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00.txt>
     (radius)   + Salt-Encryption of RADIUS Attributes
                  <draft-ietf-radius-saltencrypt-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + Extended Authentication Within ISAKMP/Oakley
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-xauth-00.txt>
     (none)     + Stream Aggregation
                  <draft-fredette-mpls-aggregation-00.txt>
     (spki)     + SPKI Examples
                  <draft-ietf-spki-cert-examples-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + Dynamic remote host configuration over IPSEC using
                  DHCP <draft-ietf-ipsec-dhcp-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + Revised SA negotiation mode for ISAKMP/Oakley
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-SA-revised-00.txt>
     (none)     + DNSSEC Signature and Data Verification Semantics
                  <draft-lewis-dnssig-authorization-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 11]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (cat)      + Kerberos vs firewalls
                  <draft-ietf-cat-krb5-firewalls-00.txt>
     (none)     + User-Share Differentiation (USD) Scalable bandwidth
                  allocation for differentiated services
                  <draft-wang-diff-serv-usd-00.txt>
     (none)     + LDAPv3 Change Log Triggered Search Result Control
                  <draft-wahl-ldapv3-trigger-00.txt>
     (none)     + IP Multicast over ATM Networks with Cut-through
                  Forwarding <draft-bakre-mcast-atm-00.txt>
     (drums)    + Reply-To Personal Proposal
                  <draft-ietf-drums-replyto-personal-00.txt>
     (ippcp)    + IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE
                  <draft-ietf-ippcp-deflate-00.txt>
     (none)     + Protection of BGP Sessions via the TCP MD5
                  Signature Option
                  <draft-heffernan-bgp-tcp-md5-00.txt>
     (none)     + End to End Aggregation of Multicast Addresses
                  <draft-briscoe-ama-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + A Minimum LDAPv3 White Pages Schema
                  <draft-apple-ldapv3-schema-wp-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax
                  <draft-ietf-fax-goals-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Minimal PSTN address format in Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-minaddrgen-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Minimal FAX address format in Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-minaddrfax-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Some comments on the TIFF 'application' parameter
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-application-00.txt>
     (vrrp)     + Definitions of Managed Objects for the Virtual
                  Router Redundancy Protocol using SNMPv2
                  <draft-ietf-vrrp-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Batch SMTP Media Type
                  <draft-freed-bsmtp-00.txt>
     (none)     + Conversational Multimedia URLs
                  <draft-cordell-sg16-conv-url-00.txt>
     (none)     + A Two-bit Differentiated Services Architecture for
                  the Internet <draft-nichols-diff-svc-arch-00.txt>
     (none)     + UTF-9, a transformation format of UCS
                  <draft-abela-utf9-00.txt>
     (none)     o LDAP-based Routing of SMTP Messages: Approach Used
                  by Netscape
                  <draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-01.txt>
     (oncrpc)   + BGP Security Analysis
                  <draft-murphy-bgp-secr-00.txt>
     (none)     + Some Issues and Applications of Packet Marking
                  <draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt>
     (none)     + A Description of the MISTY1 Encryption Algorithm
                  <draft-ohta-misty1desc-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 12]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     (mboned)   + Multicast-Scope Zone Announcement Protocol (MZAP)
                  <draft-ietf-mboned-mzap-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Multicast Address Alloctation Protocol (AAP)
                  <draft-handley-aap-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Ukrainian Character Set KOI8-U
                  <draft-rfced-info-koi8-u-00.txt>
     (avt)      + Guidelines for writers of RTP payload format
                  specifications
                  <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-format-guidelines-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Requirements for protocol-independent content
                  negotiation
                  <draft-klyne-conneg-requirements-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Internet Multicast Address Allocation
                  Architecture <draft-handley-malloc-arch-00.txt,.ps>
     (ngtrans)  + Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation
                  (NAT-PT] <draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-00.txt>
     (none)     + Cell Switch Router - Architecture and Protocol
                  Overview - <draft-katsube-csr-arch-00.txt>
     (none)     + An SMTP URL Interface
                  <draft-earhart-url-smtp-00.txt>
     (none)     + Flow Attribute Notification Protocol Version 2
                  (FANPv2) Distributed Control Mode
                  <draft-nagami-csr-fanpv2-dcmode-00.txt>
     (mpls)     + Use of Label Switching on Frame Relay Networks
                  Specification <draft-ietf-mpls-fr-00.txt>
     (none)     + Flow Attribute Notification Protocol Version 2
                  (FANPv2) Ingress Control Mode
                  <draft-ohba-csr-fanpv2-icmode-00.txt>
     (none)     + VPN support for MPLS
                  <draft-heinanen-mpls-vpn-00.txt>
     (none)     + Definition of a Common Management Interface Format
                  <draft-liu-ipsec-vpn-management-00.txt>
     (tn3270e)  + TLS-based Telnet Security
                  <draft-ietf-tn3270e-telnet-tls-00.txt>
     (none)     + An Architecture and Protocols for Initiation and
                  Control of Telephone Calls From Terminals Connected
                  to a CallBroker over a TCP/IP Connection
                  <draft-burg-pint-framework-00.txt>
     (disman)   + Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling
                  Management Operations
                  <draft-ietf-disman-schedule-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + Flow Attribute Notification Protocol Version 2
                  (FANPv2) Neighbor Discovery
                  <draft-nagami-csr-fanpv2-nd-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 13]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

  6. Eight RFCs were published during this period

     RFC2244    PS        ACAP -- Application Configuration Access
                          Protocol
     RFC2245    PS        Anonymous SASL Mechanism
     RFC2251    PS        Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3)
     RFC2252    PS        Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
                          Attribute Syntax Definitions
     RFC2253    PS        Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
                          UTF-8 String Representation of Distinguised
                          Names
     RFC2254    PS        The String Representation of LDAP Search
                          Filters
     RFC2255    PS        The LDAP URL Format
     RFC2256    PS        A Summary of the X.500(96) User Schema for
                          use with LDAP3

Ramos                                                          [Page 14]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

INTERNET PROJECTS
-----------------

INTERNIC
--------

     REGISTRATION SERVICES

     Gopher Sessions: 29,564         Retrievals: 6,051
     WAIS Sessions: 7,896            Retrievals: 7,710
     FTP Sessions: 94,450            Retrievals: 152,797
     Telnet Sessions: 67,437
     HTTP: 12,997,628
     Whois Client Queries: 5,237,399
     Whois Server Queries: 21,441,429

     Updates: 150,656
     email: 547,615
     Phone: 39,218

     by Rich Landers <[email-masked]>

     INTERNIC DIRECTORY AND DATABASE SERVICES

     The Netfind seed database for December contained over 2.5 million
     entries.

     The parallel version of Nomenclator is now in operation on all of
     our production servers.  The parallel version searches multiple
     remote directory servers in parallel.  The new version of
     Nomenclator is available at:

         http://ds.internic.net/nomen/nomenclator.html

     by Rick Huber <[email-masked]>

     THE US DOMAIN REGISTRY

     The US Domain registration form is now available online at
     http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     The US Domain has the maps of all the delegated special domains
     online at http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

Ramos                                                          [Page 15]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     Some of the processing of the requests to the third level domain
     name is now automated. In particular, most requests to register
     names in localities already delegated are automatically forwarded
     to the administrator of that locality.

     Recent announcements:

     1. A new policy has been added to avoid several cases of
     misleading, erroneous, and outright false information provided on
     registration applications.

     One situation that occurs is that one individual represents himself
     as several distinct companies in order to bypass some limitations
     on the number of delegations allowed (e.g., the 50/500 rule).

     Another situation is that with the requirement to provide a
     government employee as the administrative contact for a locality
     delegation.  Some applications have been received with a government
     employee's contact information but that person has no idea that
     such an application has been submitted.  Some applications provide
     contact information for an individual that knows what is going on
     but is not an employee of the locality government.  Still other
     applications have been received where the administrative contact
     information is fictional.

     The US Domain Administration may choose to verify any or all of the
     information on registration applications (including the
     administrative contact) and if it is determined that the an
     application contains false of substantially misleading information
     that application may be denied, or if already acted on the
     delegation may be revoked, and in either case all other delegations
     made to the party submitting the false or misleading application
     may also be revoked.

     2. A total of about 2000 locality domains that were delegated to
     several domain name managers have been returned to the US Domain
     administrator.  These localities will be made available for
     redelegation in the coming months.

     3. For delegations made after 1-Jul-97, it is assumed by the US
     Domain Administrator that every applicant for the delegation (or
     redelegation) of a locality name has the written agreement of the
     legitimate government for that locality for the applicant to manage
     the domain name of that locality.

     Evidence of such an agreement does not need to be presented at the
     time of delegation (except that the administrative contact on the
     application template must be the government representative).

Ramos                                                          [Page 16]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     However, if the delegation is later challenged or contested, the
     manager of the locality domain must produce the agreement.  Failure
     to do so will most likely result in the transfer of the management
     of the locality domain to another manager that does have such an
     agreement.

     If there is a dispute as to what is the legitimate government for a
     locality is and who may act for it, the league of cities or
     association of municipalities that each state (as recognized by the
     National League of Cities) may be asked to assist in resolving such
     disputes.

     In some places there are overlapping jurisdictions with the same
     name (for example, the city of Los Angeles and the county of Los
     Angeles).  In such cases, the higher level government should have
     priority.  A new policy has been added regarding the charges for
     the domain name passed on during delegation.  The administrator of
     the locality has to notify one year in advance before charging for
     those domains.

     4. The US Domain administrator no longer makes direct registrations
     of hosts, and only makes delegations of third or fourth level
     domain names (such as localities).

     US DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
     ====================================

             EMAIL/FAX            2564
             PHONE                 500
             ----------------------------
             Total Contacts       3064

             DELEGATIONS:           91
             FORWARDED REQUESTS:  1096
             OTHER US DOMAIN MSGS:1877
             ---------------------------
             Total                3064

     OTHER US DOMAIN MESSAGES include referrals to other subdomains or
     to/from the InterNic, phone calls, modifications, application
     requests, discussion and clarification of the requests, questions
     about names, resolving technical problems with zone files and name
     servers, and whois listings.

Ramos                                                          [Page 17]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     MAJOR SUBDOMAINS DELEGATED
     ==========================

     K12     CC      TEC     STATE   LIB     MUS     GEN     DST     COG
     ===================================================================
     52      39      36      48      41      27      30      10      6
     ===================================================================

     THIRD LEVEL DELEGATIONS
     ========================

     There were no special domains delegated this month.

     LOCALITIES
     ==========

     SALINA.KS.US.                   MONROE.MI.US.
     MOJAVE.CA.US.                   CHAUTAUQUA.NY.US.
     LINN.OR.US.                     WESTFORD.VT.US.
     SEA-ISLE-CITY.NJ.US.            MOOREVILLE.NC.US.
     RUPERT.ID.US.                   HILL-CITY.KS.US.
     COLBY.KS.US.                    GOODLAND.KS.US.
     SALINE.KS.US.                   ELLSWORTH.KS.US.
     GARDEN-CITY.KS.US.              DODGE-CITY.KS.US.
     HUSDONVILLE.KS.US.              BROOMFIELD.CO.US.
     CRESCENT-SPRINGS.KY.US.         TOPEKA.KS.US.
     PLAINVILLE.KS.US.               STOCKTON.KS.US.
     TREGO.KS.US.                    OSBORNE.KS.US.
     HUTCHINSON.KS.US.               RENO.KS.US.
     RILEY.KS.US.                    CARLYLE.IL.US.
     CARPINTERIA.CA.US.              AYER.MA.US.
     BROWN.WI.US.                    CATAWBA.NC.US.
     WICHITA.KS.US.                  GARNETT.KS.US.
     AVON-BY-THE-SEA.NJ.US.          BRECKSVILLE.OH.US.

     We delegated 2 domains under NSN.US.

     GILA-RIVER.NSN.US.
     COWCREEK.NSN.US.

Ramos                                                          [Page 18]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     OTHER US DOMAIN DELEGATIONS THIS MONTH
     ======================================

     CI.TRACY.CA.US.                 CI.LONE-TREE.CO.US.
     CO.CALDWELL.NC.US.              PAINTCREEK.ROCHESTER.MI.US.
     HEALTH.CO.GREENE.NY.US.         STARTECH.KELLER.TX.US.
     CO.GILA.AZ.US.                  TMCA.GEN.AZ.US.
     OWNS.ORLANDO.FL.US.             CO.GENESEE.MI.US.
     CO.MIAMI-DADE.FL.US.            THE-PURITAN-PARTY.WASHINGTON.DC.US.
     CO.BOX-ELDER.UT.US.             CI.GREENFIELD.CA.US.
     NWRC.COG.WA.US.                 CARR.SOUTH-GATE.CA.US.
     INDIANLAKE.LOGAN.OH.US.         CO.ALLEN.OH.US.
     BADBRADLEY.TAMPA.FL.US.         COMMUNITY.JAMESPORT.MO.US.
     DEEDS.SALEM.MA.US.              CO.OUTAGAMIE.WI.US.
     TWSP.FAIRVIEW.PA.US.            TAXCOLLECTOR.CO.OKALOOSA.FL.US.
     CI.NEW-IBERIA.LA.US.            DAVENPORT.WAYNE.OH.US.
     SPRINGVILLE.FORTUNA.CA.US.      CI.IDAHO-FALLS.ID.US.
     OSU-EXT.KAY.OK.US.              GRNCSB.GEN.GA.US.
     CI.FLOWOOD.MS.US.               HOME.KANEOHE.HI.US.
     OSU-EXT.PITTSBURG.OK.US.        DIERKS.JOPLIN.MO.US.
     CI.LEHI.UT.US.                  CI.KING.NC.US.
     GOLDEN.PROSPERITY.WV.US.        CO.IREDELL.NC.US.
     DCRA.WASHINGTON.DC.US.          TODD.ALDEN.NY.US.
     AVALON.ALBUQUERQUE.NM.US.       SAWYERHS.SAWYER.WI.US.
     DEMENTIA.TRAFFORD.PA.US.        CI.MINNETRISTA.MN.US.
     BCEM.CO.BAY.FL.US.              BEARD.DECATUR.GA.US.
     KE4GFF.DAVIE.FL.US.             TOWN.GLEN-ECHO.MD.US.
     CI.INDEPENDENCE.OR.US.          CI.BOYNTON-BEACH.FL.US.
     UNIXNET.WYANDOTTE.MI.US.        ENIGMA.WHEATON.MD.US.

     URL: http://www.isi.edu/us-domain/

     Shanthi Ranganathan <[email-masked]>

MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING
--------------------------

     This report summarizes December 1997 activities of Merit's Internet
     Engineering group on behalf of the Routing Arbiter (RA) service and
     other projects.

     The Route Server Next Generation project (http://www.rsng.net/) has
     proposed a new mechanism for using Internet Routing Registry (IRR)
     Agreements (MLPAs) at the exchange points. MLPAs never gained wide
     acceptance at the IXPs.  The agreements can be somewhat cumbersome

Ramos                                                          [Page 19]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     to maintain:  even in cases where each organization at the exchange
     agrees to peer with all the others, each peer has to modify the
     routing policy in its aut-num object by hand in order to establish
     peering with new organizations as they join the IXP.

     Jake Khuon has proposed the use of a single as-macro object that
     would dynamically configure routing policy for all organizations at
     the exchange point.  The as-macro object would be referenced by
     each organization's aut-num object.  Each time a new organization
     joined the exchange, it would simply modify the macro object,
     automatically updating the 'as-in' and 'as-out' policy for all
     other organizations at the exchange.  The new procedure would
     greatly simplify the process of reconfiguring policy to accommodate
     new peers.

     Previously, such an approach could not be implemented because of
     security controls inherent in the Internet Routing Registry:  all
     objects in the IRR can either be modified only by their authorized
     maintainers, or by anyone.  Neither technique is practical for an
     IXP; ideally, each organization would be able to view all routing
     policies in the as-object, but would only be able to modify its own
     information.  In Khuon's new model, a secure, automated e-mail
     gateway gives authorized users (i.e., all peering organizations at
     the IXP) secure access to their own - and only their own - routing
     information in the macro object.

     The proposal is introduced in two drafts: "Specifying and
     Supporting a Layer-3 MLPA Using as-macros," for use with RIPE-181,
     and "Specifying and Supporting a Layer-3 MLPA Using as-sets," for
     RPSL.  The documents are available on the RSng Web pages:

                         http://www.rsng.net/papers/

     The schema was first presented at a December MREN (Metropolitan
     Research and Education Network) meeting in Chicago, and has been
     well received by the community.

     New documentation is available for the 1.4.2 snapshot release of
     MRT, the Multi-Threaded Routing Toolkit.  The publications include
     a revised User/Configuration Guide and Programmer's Guide, and a
     new Installation Guide.  See:

             http://www.merit.edu/net-research/mrt/html/mrt_doc/

     MRT uses novel approaches to routing architecture design, and
     incorporates features such as parallelized light-weight processes,
     multiple processor support, and shared memory.  The object-
     oriented, modular design of the software encourages the rapid

Ramos                                                          [Page 20]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     addition and prototyping of experimental routing protocol and
     inter-domain policy algorithms.

     You can use MRT to:

     -Serve as the backbone routing software for your IPv6 or IPv4
     network connection.

     -Simultaneously handle tasks such as routing policy communication,
     routing policy calculation, and maintenance of a RIB, and
     distribute these tasks over multiple processors or multiple
     machines

     -Generate and analyze route flap statistics

     -Generate real-time graphical maps of Internet routing

     -Capture a BGP peering session and monitor it in real time

     -Record and replay sequences of events, such as routing failures.

     The toolkit comprises two main categories of tools:  Routing and
     Network Performance measurement tools.  The MRT applications
     include:

ROUTING TOOLS
-------------

     -MRTd - A routing daemon supporting RIPng, BGP4+, multiple RIBs
     (route server), and RIP1/2.  MRTd reads Cisco Systems-like router
     configuration files and supports a Cisco Systems router-like telnet
     interface.

     -BGPsim - A BGP4+ traffic generator/simulator

     -SBGP - A simple BGP4+ speaker and listener

     -Route_BtoA - Converts binary MRT messages to ASCII

     -Route_AtoB - Converts ASCII descriptions of MRT messages to
     binary.

NETWORK PERFORMANCE/STATISTICS TOOLS
------------------------------------

     -NetNowd - Measures network performance (one-way latency/loss,
     ICMP, topology/traceroute and bulk file transfer metrics)

Ramos                                                          [Page 21]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

     -IRRd - An Internet Routing Registry database daemon. Supports
     RIPE-181 and RPSL routing database objects.

     -SalServerd-A "webcasting" server supplying Internet
     statistics/performance channels.

     MRT fans will be glad to hear that the code is now stable, in
     production use on the 6bone, and being used for statistics
     collection at several sites on the Internet.

     At the 40th IETF in Washington, D.C., Sue Hares chaired the Inter-
     Domain Routing Working Group session, and also hosted several GateD
     technical meetings. Abha Ahuja and Jake Khuon attended the December
     MREN (Metropolitan Research and Education Network) meeting in
     Chicago to discuss Route Server issues and Khuon's MLPA proposal.

     Susan R. Harris <[email-masked]>

UCL
----

     We've been testing a version of Vic that uses a semi-reliable
     multicast protocol to do layred congestion avoidance. This is
     running with SAIC and UCL over the CAIRN, and to other sites.  A
     paper describing the protocol was accepted for infocom98
     (ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/darpa/infocom98.ps)

     We are also testing the priced/adaptive TCP on the CAIRN (described
     in a paper in submission, at ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/darpa/multcp.ps)

     John Crowcroft <[email-masked]>

IANA REPORT
-----------

     Country Codes                                   1
     Machine Names                                   2
     Media Types                                     1
     Multicast Addresses: Blocks                     5
     Novell SAP Numbers                              1
     Private Enterprise Numbers                      63
     Port Numbers                                    24
     SMI Numbers                                     9

     by Josh Elliott <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 22]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

RFC EDITOR REPORT
-----------------

     This is a summary of Request for Comments Editor activity for the
     month of December, 1997:

                                  TIME IN QUEUE
     DOCUMENTS        New*   30 days     60 days      90 days      TOTAL
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     Beginning of      0         9           3            11      | 23
     month                                                        |
                                                                  |
     New               24        0           0             0      | 24
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
     Processed          8        2           2             0      | 12
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     End of month       16       7           1            11      | 35

     * New RFCs added to queue throughout the month

     The Requests for Comments (RFCs) are a series of notes, started in
     1969, about the Internet (originally the ARPANET). The notes
     discuss many aspects of computing and computer communication
     focusing in networking protocols, procedures, programs, and
     concepts, but also including meeting notes, opinion, and sometimes
     humor. The specification documents of the Internet protocol suite,
     as defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its
     steering group (the IESG), are published as RFCs.

     RFCs-to-be are edited by the RFC Editor.  RFCs enter the RFC
     Editor's work queue either by an action of the IESG or by
     independent submission.  Most independent submissions are referred
     to the IESG to check for overlap with IETF work.  The IESG might
     put a hold on a document to gather more input from its members.
     The wait for an RFC to be published varies as there can be
     unforeseen complications (typically editorial matters that need
     clarification from the author).  Documents can be removed from the
     publication queue if they are found to be insufficient or incorrect
     or if the IESG asks the author to join work already in progress in
     the IETF.

     Alegre Ramos <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 23]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

CALENDAR
--------

Last update 2/2/98

The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat
as a means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are
requested to send in dates of events that are appropriate for this
calendar section. Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to:

               <[email-masked]>

Please note: The Secretariat does not maintain on-line information
for the events listed below.

A copy of this calendar is available as follows:

VIA FTP
-------
IETF Information is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

        US East Coast Address:  ds.internic.net (198.49.45.10)
        US West Coast Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)
        Europe Address:  nic.nordu.net (192.36.148.17)
        Pacific Rim Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)
        Africa Address:       ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.12)

cd ietf
ls *0mtg*

WWW
-------
<http://www.ietf.org/home.html> Click on the link for "meetings" and
you should find an entry "listing of other Internet related events".

************************************************************************

1998
-----------

Feb. 4-7          Europen Telematics: Advancing
                   the Information Society        Barcelona, Spain
Feb. 8-10         NANOG 12                        Albuquerque, NM
Feb. 8-13         ATM Forum                       Anaheim, CA
Feb. 7-9          DCI'S Internet Expo             San Jose, CA

Ramos                                                          [Page 24]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

Feb. 12-13        IBC UK Conference on
                  TCP/IP based VPNs               London, UK
Feb. 15-20        IEEE/IFIP '98 Network Operations
                   and Mangement Symp             New Orleans, LA
Mar. 2-3          USENIX New Network
                   Technologies Symposium         Salt Lake City, UT
Mar. 2-3          Electronic Payments Forum (EPF) San Francisco, CA
Mar. 8-11         IEEE, 2nd Euromicro Working Conf. on
                   Soft. Maint. & Reeng.          Florence, Italy
Mar. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Irvine, CA
Mar. 11-13        Internet Society NDSS '98: Symposium on
                   Network & Distributed Sys. Security
                   Catamaran Resort Hotel         San Diego, CA
Mar. 16-18        APPN Implementers Workshop      Raleigh, NC
Mar. 29-Apr 2     IEEE INFOCOM '98 - Hotel Nikko  San Francisco, CA
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    41st IETF  (No Host)            Los Angeles, CA
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    NetWorld+Interop                Singapore
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    First Merged Symposium
                  IPPS/SPDP 1998, 1sth Intl
                  Parallel Processing Symposium &
                  9th Symposium on Parallel and
                  Distributed Processing          Orlando, FLA
Apr. 3-4          IEEE "OPENARCH '98"             San Francisco, CA

Apr. 6-7          IBC UK Conference on TCP/IP &   London, UK
                     ATM:  The Telco Strategy Summit
Apr. 6-10         wmATM'98  1st Int'l Workshop on
                   Wireless Mobile ATM Implementation
                                                  Hangzhou, China
Apr. 14-18        WWW7                            Brisbane, Australia
Apr. 18-23        CHI '98 (ACM SIGCHI)            Los Angeles, CA
Apr. 19-24        ATM Forum                       Berlin, Germany
Apr. 20-22         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Apr. 22-24        Third IEEE Int'l Workshop on
                    Systems Management            Newport, Rhode Island
Apr. 27-30        USENIX  4th Conf, COOTS         Santa Fe, Mexico
May               RIPE30                          Stockholm (tbd)
May 5-8           Networld+Interop '98            Las Vegas, NV
May 17-20         9th IEEE Workshop on Local and
                   Metropolitan Area Networks     Alberta, Canada
May 18-20         6th IEEE/IFIP Int'l Wkshp on
                   Quality of Service IWQos '98   Napa, CA
May 25-28         Interactive Multimedia
                   Service and Equipment          Zurich, Switzerland
SPRING 1998       TELECOM '97 Africa              Midrand, South Africa
Jun. 7-11         ENCOM '98 in conjunction with
                   ICC/SuperComm '98              Atlanta, GA
Jun 15-19         USENIX '98 Technical Conf.      New Orleans, LA

Ramos                                                          [Page 25]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

Jun 16-18         DCI's Internet Expo             Chicago, IL
Jul. 6-10         IEEE 802 Plenary                San Diego, CA
Jul. 21-24        INET '98
                  The Internet Society's 8th
                  Annual Networking Conference    Geneva, Switzerland
Jul. 26-31        ATM Forum                       Portland, OR
Aug. 3-5          USENIX 2nd Windows NT           Seattle, Washington
Aug. 5-7          USENIX 2nd Large Instal. Sys.
                   Admin of Windows NT(LISA NT)   Seattle, Washington
Aug. 23-29        15th IFIP World. Com. Conf.     Vienna, Austria and
                                                   Budapest, Hungary
Aug. 24-28        42nd IETF                       Chicago, IL
Aug. 29-Sep 4     SIGCOMM '98                     Vancouver, CANADA
Aug. 31-Sep 3     USENIX  2nd Workshop on
                        Electronic Commerce       Boston, MA
Aug. 31-Sep 4     SEC '98
                  14th Int'l Information
                  Security Conference             Vienna, Austria and
                                                  Budapest, Hungary
Sep 1-3           DCI's Internet Expo             Boston, MA
Sep. 14-18        USENIX - 6th TCL/TK Conf.       San Diego, CA
Sep. 17-18        Electronic Payments Forum
                   (EPF) Tentative                (TBD)
Oct. 4-9          ATM Forum                       Gold Coast, Australia
Oct. 5-8          TERENA (host by DFN)            Dresden, Germany
Oct. 13-16        Intl Conf on Netw Protocols     Austin, TX
Oct 20-22         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Oct 21-23         Networld+Interop '98            Atlanta, GA
Oct 25-30         MobiCom'98  4th Annual
                   ACM/IEEE                       Dallas, TX
Nov. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Albuquerque, NM
Nov 25            TERENA Executive Committe       Amsterdam
Nov. 29-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Nashville, TN
Dec. 6-11         12th Systems Administration Conf.
                    (LISA '98)                    Boston, MA
Dec. 7-11         43rd IETF (Tentative)           TBD

1999
-----
Feb. 7-13         ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
Feb. 22-25        USENIX - 3rd Sym. on
                   Oper. Sys Design and
                   Implementation (OSDI '99)      New Orleans, LA
Feb 23-25         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Apr. 18-24        ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
May 11-14         Networld+Interop '99            Las Vegas, NV
May 31-Jun 4      WWW8                            Toronto, CANADA

Ramos                                                          [Page 26]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1997

Jun 4-6           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jul 12-16         45th IETF (tentative)           Oslo, Norway
Jul. 18-24        ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
late Aug          SIGCOMM '99 (West Coast US)     Boston, tentative
Sep. 21-23         W3C Interest Group Mtg         TBA
Sep. 26-Oct 2     ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
Oct. 8-14         TELECOM '99                     Geneva, Switzerland
Oct. 13-17        Networld+Interop '99            Atlanta, GA
Nov. 8-12         46th IETF (tentative)           TBA
Nov. 28-Dec 4     ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA

2000
----
MAR 26-31       47th IETF                         Adelaide, Australia
May 9-11        Networld+Interop '00              Las Vegas, NV
late Aug        SIGCOMM 2000                      Europe (tentative)
Sep 25-29       Networld+Interop '00              Atlanta, GA

The TERENA Calendar for January 1998 may be found on URL:

http://www.terena.nl/news/calendar.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

       TERENA Secretariat

       Singel 466-468
       1017 AW Amsterdam
       the Netherlands

       email <[email-masked]>

       tel: +31 20 639 1131
       fax: +31 20 639 3289

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ramos                                                          [Page 27]