Subject: Re: Last Call: Anti-Spam Requirements on an SMTP MTA to BCP

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 98 10:13:30 -0500

From: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>

    a small-time spammer caused significant trouble for an ISP and a small
    company by using that company's domain name as a fake return address. The
    court found in favor of the small company ... The spammers can be slammed
    legally if the companies being abused will just do it.

Without taking any position on the technical anti-spam measures, let me point
out that going to court is an expensive and draining diversion of time and
effort from a company's primary goal. Saying "take spammers to court" is like
saying the right approach to handling house burglaries is to have home-owners
personally track down the miscreants.

I'm sort of tempted to advocate the death penalty for spamming. Once we gas a
few of them, the rest might find something more productive to do! :-)

	Noel

---

From: Sascha Ignjatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:36:08 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> effort from a company's primary goal. 

not if you have a online clearing mechanism :-)

also our courts have to take the (dis)advantage of information societys:-)

we need to put some intelligence and automatisation in our societys
management systems :-)

so hier we are again back to technologies

thanks
sascha

ps.my personal teaching i got out of this is that there is a need for
   very close cooperation between diferent parts of the society becouse 
   they could/should easyly make use one of each other 

   the people who are developing technologies have also a responsobilitys
   to help to aplly this technologies into the society and to teach other
   parts of the society on posible benefit and usefulnes of this
   technologie

   just to develope technologie without to care that it is used and 
   implemented in "real live/society" is like a company is making pruducts
   without doing some marketing and advertising on it :-)

   the socialisation of the technologie is the nechst stept where 
   a "technical" solution is needed wich means 
   intelligent society management systems :-)

   as a kind of "social enginering" 
 
   i think the technician hase to contribute hier a great deal 
   of course in cooperation with other parts of the society