Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:47:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: UUIDs and GUIDs
	Author(s)	: P. Leach, R. Salz
	Filename	: draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 05-Feb-98
	
  This specification defines the format of UUIDs (Universally Unique
  IDentifier), also known as GUIDs (Globally Unique IDentifier). A UUID
  is 128 bits long, and if generated according to the one of the
  mechanisms in this document, is either guaranteed to be different
  from all other UUIDs/GUIDs generated until 3400 A.D. or extremely
  likely to be different (depending on the mechanism chosen). UUIDs
  were originally used in the Network Computing System (NCS) [1] and
  later in the Open Software Foundation's (OSF) Distributed Computing
  Environment [2].
 
  This specification is derived from the latter specification with the
  kind permission of the OSF.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.