Subject: Re: RoamAbout unit? (was "Re: ietf hosts")

From: Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:19:31 -0500

They can be purchased via normal DEC channels, or is it Cabletron?

They can also be purchased from assorted resellers.  I bought my
RoamAbout about a year ago, shortly before San Jose -- a reseller
quoted me a cheaper price and faster delivery then Digital could
offer directly.

---

From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:42:04 -0500

>quoted me a cheaper price and faster delivery then Digital could

DEC is one of several companies that make hardware based on the
WaveLAN design from Lucent (previously AT&T, previously NCR).
The base station hardware used at IETF meetings has been from DEC
since DEC is kind enough to let us use it (thanks!), but I've 
used Lucent WaveLAN PC Cards on my laptops at IETF meetings.
Lucent's WaveLAN pages are at http://www.wavelan.com.  Other
companies that make compatible hardware include Solectek (used to
make PC stuff but seem to now focus only on bridges; I haven't
used them) and Digital Ocean (for Macs; some people at CMU use
them).

					Dave

---

From: Einar Stefferud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 00:33:20 -0800

Just to clarify;-)...

Do I correctly infer from this thread that people who buy their own
RoamAbout can take it to IETF meetings and (as long as DEC provides
their boxes at IETF) use their own RoamAbout in place of those taps on
over crowded tables?

Sounds like a reasonable choice for lots of people, if they can be
assured of the service being continued at IETF meetings.

Cheers...\Stef

>From your message Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:42:04 -0500:
}
}>	 They can be purchased via normal DEC channels, or is it Cabletron?
}>
}>They can also be purchased from assorted resellers.  I bought my
}>RoamAbout about a year ago, shortly before San Jose -- a reseller
}>quoted me a cheaper price and faster delivery then Digital could
}>offer directly.
}
}
}DEC is one of several companies that make hardware based on the
}WaveLAN design from Lucent (previously AT&T, previously NCR).
}The base station hardware used at IETF meetings has been from DEC
}since DEC is kind enough to let us use it (thanks!), but I've 
}used Lucent WaveLAN PC Cards on my laptops at IETF meetings.
}Lucent's WaveLAN pages are at http://www.wavelan.com.  Other
}companies that make compatible hardware include Solectek (used to
}make PC stuff but seem to now focus only on bridges; I haven't
}used them) and Digital Ocean (for Macs; some people at CMU use
}them).
}
}					Dave
}

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:46:06 -0500

There is no way we can force everybody to buy these wireless units (even if
they seem quite nice), so we need ethernet drops.  BUT, as I said in my
first message that began this thread, I think we need more ethernet drops
for the next meetings, since ethernet drops cost much less (actual $$ and
installation&packaging time) for the host (compared to a full PC or unix
wstn), and laptops users are increasing.

Regards, Marc.

>}used them) and Digital Ocean (for Macs; some people at CMU use

-----------------------------------------------------------
Marc Blanchet			| [email-masked]
Viagenie inc.			| http://www.viagenie.qc.ca
3107 des hotels		| tel.: 418-656-9254 
Ste-Foy, Quebec		| fax.: 418-656-0183
Canada, G1W 4W5		| radio: VA2-JAZ
------------------------------------------------------------
pgp: 57 86 A6 83 D3 A8 58 32 F7 0A BB BD 5F B2 4B A7
------------------------------------------------------------
Auteur du livre TCP/IP Simplifié, Editions Logiques, 1997
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 97 07:01 PST

> their boxes at IETF) use their own RoamAbout in place of those taps
> on over crowded tables?

Works for me.  And, if you have a second at home that will not be in
use while you are at IETF, bring it to loan to a friend.

> assured of the service being continued at IETF meetings.

Assured?  I doubt it.  It is being done pro bono in the spirit of the
internet-as-it-was by engineers too nice to look up and smell the crass
greed.  Well,maybe more like ignoring it in the hope that, if we all
sing "Yellow Submarine" together, it will go away.

So, if we want to *assure* it, we need to pay for it (est. four access
points at $1,200 each).  Or maybe add "Radio Free IETF courtesy of ..."
to the credits.  Welcome to the new internet.  <sigh/2>

randy

---

From: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:26:08 -0500

Or four of us bring an access point from home. I can probably bring one...

                        -Jeff