Subject: Protocol Action: Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:48:30 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Augmented BNF for Syntax
Specifications: ABNF' <draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Detailed Revision/Update
of Message Standards Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Harald Alvestrand and Keith Moore

Technical Summary
 
 This document specifies a revised version of "ABNF", the notation
 created in RFC 822 and later used by many Internet standards to
 specify their protocols.

 It is believed to be more rigorous and clearer than its predecessor,
 without sacrificing much expressive power or readability.

Working Group Summary

 Almost every aspect of this document has been heavily scrutinized by
 the DRUMS group, and the DRUMS group has consensus on the specification.

Protocol Quality

 The protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.