Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:42:38 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Integrated Directory Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled Applications
	Author(s)	: S. Kille, R. Huber, S. Sataluri, A. Grimstad, M. Wahl
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 15-Dec-97
	
   Application of the conventional X.500 approach to naming has
   heretofore, in the experience of the authors, proven to be an
   obstacle to the wide deployment of directory-enabled applications on
   the Internet.  We propose a new directory naming plan that leverages
   the strengths of the most popular and successful Internet naming
   schemes for naming objects in a hierarchical directory.  This plan
   can, we believe, facilitate the creation of an Internet White Pages
   Service (IWPS) and other directory-enabled applications by overcoming
   the problems encountered by those using the conventional X.500
   approach to naming.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.