Subject: Re: GSSAPI service registry update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 14:26:58 PST

Thanks for the updates.  They have been made and we have registered ftp
in the GSSAPI service registry as well.

Josh

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked]  Wed Feb 11 15:18:50 1998
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:19:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Subject: GSSAPI service registry update
To: [email-masked]
Cc: IETF Common Authentication Technology WG <[email-masked]>
Reply-to: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>,
        IETF Common Authentication Technology WG <[email-masked]>
Originator-Info: login-id=chris; server=THOR.INNOSOFT.COM

Can you please create a link to the GSSAPI service registry from the
top-level IANA registry web page?

IANA registry web page:
  <http://www.iana.org/div7/iana/descript.html>
GSSAPI service registry:
  <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/gssapi-service-names>

In addition, could you remove the second paragraph from:
  <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/service-names>
After a discussion on the cat WG mailing list there were no objections
to the observation that DNS WKS protocol name semantics are not
compatible with GSSAPI service names (the former are associated with a
specific port, while the latter are associated with a protocol or class
of related protocols regardless of the port used).

Finally, here's one more to register in the GSSAPI service registry:

Service Name      Usage                              Reference
------------      -----                              ---------
ftp               file transfer/FTP/TFTP             [RFC2228]

[RFC2228] Horowitz, M., Lunt, S., "FTP Security Extensions", RFC 2228,
          Cygnus Solutions, Bellcore, October 1997, Appendix I.

---
Thank you for all the hard work you do maintaining IANA registries.

		- Chris

----- End Included Message -----