Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-mime-textpara-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:17:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Text/Paragraph Media Type
	Author(s)	: N. Freed, C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-mime-textpara-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 12-Feb-98
	
The text/plain media type is defined to represent plain text where
     the CRLF sequence represents a line break [MIME-IMT].  Many modern
     computer systems have a different concept of ``plain text'' from
     the systems where the text/plain media type originated.  These
     modern systems usually use a proportional-spaced font and use CRLF
     to represent paragraph breaks.  Numerous software products have
     erroneously labelled this media type as text/plain.  In order to
     correct this interoperability problem, the text/paragraph media
     type is defined.
 
     [NOTE: This proposal may be discussed publicly on the ietf-
     [email-masked] mailing list.  The subscription address is ietf-822-
     [email-masked].]

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-mime-textpara-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-mime-textpara-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-mime-textpara-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.