Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dittert-host-sys-char-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:58:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DHCP Options For Host System Characteristics
	Author(s)	: M. Henry, E. Dittert
	Filename	: draft-dittert-host-sys-char-01.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 30-Dec-97
	
   The interoperability of configuration services based on the Dynamic
   Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) [1] in an environment of
   heterogeneous clients depends on clients accurately identifying
   themselves and their relevant characteristics to configuration
   servers.  The class identifier provided through DHCP option 60 [2]
   helps in this regard, but such identifiers essentially only enable
   clients and servers that are ''good friends'' to find each other. This
   draft proposes the definition of two options that convey particular,
   generally useful information about the client system.  This enables
   all servers to recognize this information, and is a step toward a
   richer form of interoperability for configuration services.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dittert-host-sys-char-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-dittert-host-sys-char-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dittert-host-sys-char-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.