Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gellens-on-demand-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 09:45:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: On-Demand Mail Relay
	Author(s)	: R. Gellens
	Filename	: draft-gellens-on-demand-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 04-Nov-97
	
With the spread of low-cost computer systems and Internet
connectivity, the demand for local mail servers had been rising.
Many people now want to operate a mail server on a system which has
only an intermittent connection to a service provider.  If the
system has a static IP address, the [ESMTP] [ETRN] command can be
used.  However, systems with dynamic IP addresses (which are very
common with low-cost connections) have no good solution.
 
This memo proposes a new service, On-Demand Mail Relay, which is a
profile of [ESMTP], providing for a secure, extensible, easy to
implement approach to the problem.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gellens-on-demand-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-on-demand-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gellens-on-demand-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.