Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iesg-iana-considerations-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:51:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IETF Steering Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations 
                          Section in RFCs
	Author(s)	: H. Alvestrand, T. Narten
	Filename	: draft-iesg-iana-considerations-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 26-Nov-97
	
   Many protocols make use of identifiers consisting of constants and
   other well-known values. Even after a protocol has been defined and
   deployment has begun, new values may need to be assigned (e.g., a new
   option type in DHCP).  To insure that such quantities have unique
   values, their assignment must be administered by a central authority.
   In the Internet, that role is provided by the Internet Assigned
   Numbers Authority (IANA).
 
   In order for the IANA to manage a given numbering space prudently, it
   needs guidelines describing the conditions under which new values can
   be assigned. If the IANA is expected to play a role in the management
   of a numbering space, the IANA must be given clear and concise
   instructions describing that role.  This document discusses issues
   that should be considered in formulating an identifier assignment
   policy and provides guidelines to document authors on the specific
   text that must be included in documents that place demands on the
   IANA.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-iesg-iana-considerations-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-iana-considerations-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-iesg-iana-considerations-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.