Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-conneg-requirements-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 14:43:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Content Negotiation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for protocol-independent 
                          content negotiation
	Author(s)	: G. Klyne
	Filename	: draft-ietf-conneg-requirements-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 29-Dec-97
	
  A number of Internet application protocols have a need to provide
  content negotiation for the resources with which they interact.
  MIME media types [1, 2] provide a standard method for handling one
  major axis of variation, but resources also vary in ways which
  cannot be expressed using currently available MIME headers.  The
  case for a cross-protocol negotiation framework is set out in [4].
 
  This draft sets out terminology, an abstract framework and
  requirements for protocol-independent content negotiation, and
  identifies some technical issues which may need to be addressed.
 
  The abstract framework does not attempt to specify the content
  negotiation process, but gives an indication of the anticipated
  scope and form of any such specification. The requirements set out
  the desired properties of a content negotiation mechanism.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-conneg-requirements-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conneg-requirements-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conneg-requirements-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.