Subject: Universal Logging Protocol (ULP) BOF

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 13:55:44 -0800 (PST)

I would like to announce a BOF we'll be holding in Washington, DC.

ULP BOF Description:

  Network based logging services provide system administrators with
  an important tool for diagnosing a variety of problems.  There is
  no standard way to do logging.   We propose a single very simple
  protocol which will allow interoperable logging for the Internet.
  This protocol will include features for structuring log entries
  with fields which have standard definitions.  We would like to 
  define a standard API, string based protocol and message format
  for log entries.  We also will address internationalization of
  logs, how to transmit log entries securely.  Another important
  topic is how a logging protocol should interact with network 
  management.

We have started an archived mailing list.  The archive is at
http://www.hsc.fr/gulp or retrievable via email by sending
"index gulp" in the body of email to [email-masked].  To subscribe,
please send "sub gulp" to the same address.

Erik Guttman
Sun Microsystems