Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-mime-cdisp-metadata-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:54:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Metadata Content-Disposition Type
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-mime-cdisp-metadata-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 13-Nov-97
	
     The Content-Disposition [CDISP] header defines two disposition
     types:  ''inline'' and ''attachment'' which can affect presentation
     of a MIME [MIME-IMB] body part.  There have been a number of cases
     where one MIME body part contains metadata for another MIME body
     part and is neither suitable for inline display by itself, nor is
     it useful if treated as an independent attachment and saved to a
     file by itself.  If the recipient UA is not familiar with the
     specific media type, the user often is presented with a useless
     unrecognizable attachment.  This memo proposes a third disposition
     type, ''metadata'', to address this situation.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-mime-cdisp-metadata-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-newman-mime-cdisp-metadata-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-mime-cdisp-metadata-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.