Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-ess-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 14:31:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME
	Author(s)	: P. Hoffman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-ess-03.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 05-Mar-98
	
This document describes three optional security service extensions for
S/MIME. These services provide functionality that is similar to the Message
Security Protocol [MSP], but are useful in many other environments,
particularly business and finance. The services are:

  - signed receipts
  - security labels
  - secure mailing lists

The services described here are extensions to S/MIME version 3 [SMIME3],
and some of them can also be added to S/MIME version 2 [SMIME2]. The
extensions described here will not cause an S/MIME version 3 recipient to
be unable to read messages from an S/MIME version 2 sender. However, some
of the extensions will cause messages created by an S/MIME version 3 sender
to be unreadable by an S/MIME version 2 recipient.
 
The format of the messages are described in ASN.1:1988 [ASN1-1988] with the
modification that UTF8String from ASN.1:1994 [ASN1-1994] is used in the
descriptions.
 
This draft is being discussed on the ''ietf-smime'' mailing list. To
subscribe, send a message to:
     [email-masked]
with the single word
     subscribe
in the body of the message. There is a Web site for the mailing list at
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/>.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-ess-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-ess-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-ess-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.