Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-putzolu-heuristic-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 14:30:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Heuristics for utilizing ISSL Mechanisms
                          for A/V Streams Over Low Bandwidth Links 
                          in the absence of Announcement Protocols
	Author(s)	: D. Putzolu
	Filename	: draft-putzolu-heuristic-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 03-Dec-97
	
   The ISSLOW subgroup of the ISSL working group has defined a set of
   mechanisms for providing integrated services over low bandwidth
   links [1]. These mechanisms rely on an announcement protocol
   (typically RSVP [2]) to determine which streams require other than
   best-effort service and to determine what level and type of service
   to provide for such streams. It is anticipated that at least some of
   the mechanisms defined by the ISSLOW subgroup, specifically
   Compressed RTP [3] (CRTP) [4] and Multi-Channel Multi-Link PPP
   (MCML) [5], will be available well before RSVP has been widely
   deployed.
 
   Given the proliferation of applications streaming audio and video
   using the mechanisms defined in the AVT working group (e.g., RTP), a
   means of utilizing these mechanisms in the absence of an
   announcement protocol would be beneficial. Such means have been
   proposed in [6], but they require changes to applications so as to
   be able to indicate the need for special treatment. This document
   describes a set of heuristics for use with the mechanisms defined in
   the ISSLOW subgroup that provide an enhanced degree of service for
   audio/video streaming applications without requiring that changes be
   made to applications. The approach taken is to provide a default set
   of heuristics that implementations of MCML and CRTP can use to
   provide enhanced service over PPP links for audio and video streams
   without requiring any application or infrastructure changes.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-putzolu-heuristic-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-putzolu-heuristic-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-putzolu-heuristic-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.