Subject: Re: * A Revelation *

From: "Simon Spero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:18:19 -0500

I've had that epiphany too, and to me it leads to an obvious solution. There
are enough multi-millionaires reading this list that it should take about a
day to raise enough money to endow a trust to fund operations in perpetuity.
This trust would not operate the registry itself, but would contract with a
separate non-profit body which would have limited assets of its own to
protect against lawsuits.

Something like the "Ronald H. Brown Foundation For Information
Infrastructure" might be appropriate.

Simon

---

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:50:03 -0600

On Tuesday, February 24, 1998 11:18 AM, Simon Spero[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
@I've had that epiphany too, and to me it leads to an obvious solution. There
@are enough multi-millionaires reading this list that it should take about a
@day to raise enough money to endow a trust to fund operations in perpetuity.
@This trust would not operate the registry itself, but would contract with a
@separate non-profit body which would have limited assets of its own to
@protect against lawsuits.
@

Why would more money be needed to put out the current money blaze ?
This sounds like throwing oil on an oil well fire to put it out ?

If technical people around the world simply cooperated on light-weight
governance solutions firmly based in technical reality, the show is over.

This later approach is more like using dynamite to put out the oil well fire.
Only the technologists can make that happen. Unfortunately, many of
the technologists now seem to mostly interested in world travel and
the conference circuits. This requires money so they are now beholding
to some group that pays them. The U.S. Government is still one such
group. The annual NSF budget is over $3.5 billion dollars per year. With
that amount of money, the NSF can dominate standards activities as
they do with the IETF. That is how IPv6 came to be...

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI