Subject: global Project OXYGEN Super-Internet Network

From: Sascha Ignjatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 05:48:49 +0100 (MET)

http://www.oxygen.org

Project OXYGEN Network is a global optical fiber cable-based undersea
network with 265 landing points in 171 countries and locations, with 38
self-healing loops offering maximum restoration and redundancy. The
network will have a minimum throughput of 320 gigabits per second on
every link, rising to nearly 1 terabit per second on some segments. 
With a total Network construction cost of US$14 billion, the first loops
are scheduled to go into operation in 2000, with the entire Network ready
for operation in 2003. 

if they succeed that way does this mean that they would become 
"the backbone" and "control" the internet at that time ?

sascha
ps.of course this is a hypothetical asumption  the internet already exists
   and is constantly impruved in conectivity and bandwith with hunders
   tausends of networks  "owned" by hunderd thausends of companies 

   so what is the position of this oxygen effort 

   would other companies/consorita build similar networks