Subject: Protocol Action: Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:13:18 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA
  delegation" <draft-ietf-dnsind-classless-inaddr-04.txt> as a Best
  Current Practices RFC. This document is the product of the DNS IXFR,
  Notification, and Dynamic Update Working Group. The IESG contact
  persons are Thomas Narten and Jeffrey Burgan.

Technical Summary
 
  This document describes a way to do IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation on
  non-octet boundaries for address spaces covering fewer than 256
  addresses. It also discusses operational considerations to provide
  some guidance in implementing this method.

  By utilizing this mechanism, it should thus remove one of the
  objections to subnetting on non-octet boundaries but perhaps more
  significantly, make it possible to assign IP address space in blocks
  smaller than 24-bit prefixes, without losing the ability to delegate
  authority for the corresponding IN-ADDR.ARPA mappings. The proposed
  method is fully compatible with the original DNS lookup mechanisms,
  thus there is no need to modify the lookup algorithm used, and there
  should be no need to modify any software which does DNS lookups.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.