Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mallery-urn-pdi-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:50:58 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Persistent Document Identifiers
	Author(s)	: J. Mallery
	Filename	: draft-mallery-urn-pdi-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 11-Nov-97
	
   This document specifies the syntax and semantics of the Persistent
   Document Identifier (PDI) namespace within the URN framework
   defined by RFC 2141 [17]. PDIs provide a means to refer to digital
   objects and fragments that does not depend their storage location
   or the protocol used to access them. Since 1994, several
   large-scale applications with these requirements have used PDIs
   [12] [21].
 
   PDIs are intended primarily as permanent identifiers for archival
   reference to long-lived documents.  PDIs have a fragment syntax to
   allow permanent references to parts of documents (within specific
   formats) as well as a citation syntax to allow references to
   appearances of such fragments in composite documents.
 
   PDIs are most useful for any document series that is distributed via
   multiple protocols, is available from multiple sources, migrates to
   new locations, needs fragment references, or participates in
   distributed assertion semantics related to collaboration or access
   control.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mallery-urn-pdi-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-mallery-urn-pdi-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mallery-urn-pdi-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.