Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-aft-mcast-fw-traversal-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:11:56 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SOCKS V5 UDP and Multicast Extensions 
                          to Facilitate Multicast Firewall Traversal
	Author(s)	: D. Chouinard
	Filename	: draft-ietf-aft-mcast-fw-traversal-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 18-Nov-97
	
   This proposal creates a mechanism for managing the ingress or egress
   of IP multicast through a firewall.  It does this by defining
   extensions to the existing SOCKS V5 protocol [RFC-1928], which
   provides a framework for doing user-level, authenticated firewall
   traversal of unicast TCP and UDP traffic.  However, because the
   current UDP support in SOCKS V5 has scalability problems as well as
   other deficiencies -- and these need to be addressed before
   multicast support can be achieved -- the extensions are defined in
   two parts: Base-level UDP extensions, and Multicast UDP extensions.
 
   Using the SOCKS framework for managing multicast flows in/out of an
   organization, offers numerous security advantages over what is
   possible with a conventional firewall approach.  These are spelled
   out in the draft.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-aft-mcast-fw-traversal-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-aft-mcast-fw-traversal-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-aft-mcast-fw-traversal-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.