Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-failover-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:58:43 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Failover Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Droms, A. Kapur, G. Rabil, M. Dooley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-failover-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 21-Nov-97
	
DHCP [RFC 2131] allows for multiple servers to be operating on a
   single network. Some sites are interested in running multiple servers
   in such a way so as to provide redundancy in case of server failure.
   In order for this to work reliably, the servers must maintain a
   consistent database of the lease information.  This implies that
   servers will need to coordinate any and all lease activity so that
   this information is synchronized in case of failover.
 
   This document defines a protocol to provide this synchronization
   between two servers.  One server is designated the ''primary'' server,
   the other is the ''secondary'' server.  Additionally, this document
   describes a protocol for the automatic transfer of control from the
   primary to the secondary in the case of failure (failover), as well
   as the re-establishment of control by the primary server.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-failover-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.