Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-asid-ldap-dynatt-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:57:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Access, Searching and Indexing of Directories Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol:  Dynamic Attributes
	Author(s)	: T. Genovese, M. Wahl, Y. Yaacovi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-asid-ldap-dynatt-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 21-Nov-97
	
This document defines dynamic attributes and the fashion in which they
   are being set and used on entries in the directory.  This document
   builds heavily on the dynamic extensions to LDAP infrastructure as
   defined in [1].
 
   The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) [2] supports
   lightweight access to static directory services, allowing relatively
   fast search and update access.  Static directory services store
   information about people that persists in its accuracy and value over
   a long period of time.

   The dynamic extension to LDAP as defined in [1] added the concept of
   dynamic entries that only persist in the directory, when they are
   periodically refreshed.  This document takes this approach one step
   farther and defines how dynamic attributes can be used, on either
   static or dynamic entries, to handle up-to-date and dynamic
   information about an entry in the directory.  An example use will be a
   client or a person that has a static entry in the directory and
   sometimes goes online, which is reflected in the 'online' attribute
   for the entry.  To specify whether this person is online or offline -
   an attribute that changes frequently, a client application will have
   to modify this attribute relatively frequently.  The current location
   of a person is another attribute that may change frequently.
 
   Dynamic attributes must be periodically refreshed.  Otherwise, they
   will disappear from the directory over time.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-asid-ldap-dynatt-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-asid-ldap-dynatt-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-asid-ldap-dynatt-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.