Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idmr-gum-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 10:14:46 -0500

A Revised Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Multicast Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP): Protocol 
                          Specification
	Author(s)	: D. Estrin, D. Meyer, D. Thaler
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idmr-gum-01.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 31-Oct-97
	
This document describes BGMP, a protocol for inter-domain multicast
routing. BGMP builds shared trees for active multicast groups, and
allows receiver domains to build source-specific, inter-domain,
distribution branches where needed. Building upon concepts from CBT and
PIM-SM, BGMP requires that each multicast group be associated with a
single root (in BGMP it is referred to as the root domain).  BGMP
assumes that at any point in time, different ranges of the class D space
are associated (e.g., with MASC [MASC]) with different domains.  Each of
these domains then becomes the root of the shared domain-trees for all
groups in its range.  Multicast participants will generally receive
better multicast service if the session initiator's address allocator
selects addresses from its own domain's part of the space, thereby
causing the root domain to be local to at least one of the session
participants.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idmr-gum-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-gum-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-gum-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.