Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ferguson-pppsonet-selfsync-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 09:55:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Self-Synchronous Scramblers For
                          PPP Over Sonet/SDH: Some Analysis
	Author(s)	: D. Ferguson, R. Cherukuri
	Filename	: draft-ferguson-pppsonet-selfsync-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 03-Nov-97
	
   The use of a self-synchronous scrambler to minimize the possibility
   that a carefully chosen PPP over SONET/SDH payload can cause a long
   sequence of zero bits to be transmitted is examined.  It is pointed
   out that, while self-synchronous scramblers have some attractive
   properties for the application, the x^43 + 1 scrambler used by ATM
   for the same purpose has some unfortunate interactions with the
   16-bit CRC Frame Check Sequence which is the PPP default FCS.  It is
   suggested that adding a third term to the self-synchronous generator
   polynomial might improve its behaviour, and that inverting the
   scrambler bit ordering so it is applied to the data in the same bit
   order as the PPP CRC FCS algorithms are defined for may eliminate any
   remaining effect such scramblers have on either PPP FCS.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ferguson-pppsonet-selfsync-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ferguson-pppsonet-selfsync-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ferguson-pppsonet-selfsync-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.