Subject: RFC 2276 on Uniform Resource Name Resolution

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:45:04 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2276:

        Title:      Architectural Principles of Uniform Resource Name 
		    Resolution
	Author(s):  K. Sollins
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       January 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
	Pages:      24
        Characters: 64811
        Updates/Obsoletes:  None

        URL:        ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2276.txt

This document addresses the issues of the discovery of URN (Uniform
Resource Name) resolver services that in turn will directly translate
URNs into URLs (Uniform Resource Locators) and URCs (Uniform Resource
Characteristics).  The document falls into three major parts, the
assumptions underlying the work, the guidelines in order to be a
viable Resolver Discovery Service or RDS, and a framework for
designing RDSs.  The guidelines fall into three principle areas:
evolvability, usability, and security and privacy.  An RDS that is
compliant with the framework will not necessarily be compliant with
the guidelines.  Compliance with the guidelines will need to be
validated separately.

This document is a product of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.