Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dusse-smime-msg-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:31:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: S/MIME Version 2 Message Specification
	Author(s)	: S. Dusse, L. Lundblade, P. Hoffman, 
                          L. Repka, B. Ramsdell
	Filename	: draft-dusse-smime-msg-07.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 20-Nov-97
	
S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) provides a consistent
way to send and receive secure MIME data. Based on the popular Internet
MIME standard, S/MIME provides the following cryptographic security
services for electronic messaging applications: authentication, message
integrity and non-repudiation of origin (using digital signatures) and
privacy and data security (using encryption).
 
S/MIME can be used by traditional mail user agents (MUAs) to add
cryptographic security services to mail that is sent, and to interpret
cryptographic security services in mail that is received. However, S/MIME
is not restricted to mail; it can be used with any transport mechanism that
transports MIME data, such as HTTP. As such, S/MIME takes advantage of the
object-based features of MIME and allows secure messages to be exchanged in
mixed-transport systems.
 
Further, S/MIME can be used in automated message transfer agents that use
cryptographic security services that do not require any human intervention,
such as the signing of software-generated documents and the encryption of
FAX messages sent over the Internet.
 
Please note: The information in this document is historical material being
published for the public record. It is not an IETF standard. The use of the
word ''standard'' in this document indicates a standard for adopters of
S/MIME version 2, not an IETF standard.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dusse-smime-msg-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-dusse-smime-msg-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dusse-smime-msg-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.