Subject: Re: Internet Companies Welcome Idea of Global Charter (fwd)

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Wolff)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:44:30 -0500

>I agree.... We all know Vint Cerf :) and we all know when the Internet
>started....Remember 300-1200 baud dialup to get mail from a host

Have a care; some of us also remember that Claudio was there too.  -s

---

From: Sascha Ignjatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 03:50:18 +0100 (MET)

> Have a care; some of us also remember that Claudio was there too.  -s

yes dr.cerf and many others have together build up the internet we today 
know with the help of the companys  some of them members of the
global internet project

taken from http://www.gip.org
"The Global Internet Project is an international group of senior executives
 committed to spurring the growth of the Internet worldwide. The founder
 of the group is Dr. James Clark, Chairman of Netscape Communications
 Corporation. The Chairman is John Gerdelman, President of networkMCI
 Services. The fifteen member companies are primarily from the software
 and telecommunications segments of the Internet industry."

basicaly is what they are saying very positive beside the fact that they 
want the leading rolle in the global internet for them self

also the "cooperation" with the governments is also positive beside the 
fact that they "together" want to "govern" the internet-its easier to 
say it than to do :-)

so hier again we have dr.cerf "helping out":-)

becouse the chairman of the global internet project is a gentlemen from 
mci we hope very much that there will be a posible cooperation between 
the gip and other historical and funktional internet standardisation and    
management organisations like ietf etc....

it is very needed to have industry and policy participaiting in the 
"internet governance" but i doubt they can doit without 
isoc iab iana ietf irtf poc core ..

we need a model for a strategic participation of all parts of the society 
-religion  science  policy  economie  culture  work in the internet 
governance

when it comes to policy i would like to see the (future)united nations as 
the platform and way the individual countries can participate as a part of 
the internet "selfgovernance"  rather to have the european union be the 
"leader" in "governing" the internet 

the internet is leaded by visions and not by "grabing the power" or 
"screaming very loud" 

those one who hase the brigthest vision should lead not one who thinks he 
hase to "control" the internet becouse beeing the "smartest" on earth 
-"hey i should control the internet - god i am so smart!  i should do it 
  definitely "  

so many of us may think so 

mr.bangemans ideas of a "global charter for the internet" and with this 
asociated governance of the internet leaded by the governments was not 
apreciated very much by mr.magaziner and also the rest of the american 
administration  the government of the united states of america having at 
most to say in the matters of global internet governance should be the 
garant that no one single unqulifide entitiy like mr.bangeman and 
consortia can "take over" the internet wich vuew years ago they dont even 
know that it exists or better to say they rejected it and wanted to do 
samthing "better" than internet - today they want to "govern" it !

of having no involvment of governments-american position and 
leting the governments rulle the internet-european position 
asia hase no position at the moment :-)

maybe a good middle thing can be:

policy and government involvments YES but true a global platform like 
united nations-or a future developed version of it :-)

also the busines and industry participation is higly wellcome and needed 
but hier again they allone can not "govern" the internet by them allone 
-becouse always having the "self interest" problem :-) 

there musst be a model for a coalition of 
religion science policy economie culture work aspects of the society 
for governing the internet wich belongs to all of us on this planet

if the internet community can develope such a model and vision-who else 
should do it :-)  than there is no doubt that they will have the lead 

thank you very much
sascha 

ps.i write this mail in the honor of dr.cerf and many others who build up 
the internet and who also protect the internet in his growth and give the 
internet the direction it deserves 

thank you all very much

pps.we should definitely search for a dialog with all parties who claims 
to be "competent" to "govern" the global internet-and incorporate them 
in our "global/planetary internet governance model" :-)
(beeing planetar is the only thing they dont have-they may have local 
regional continental or even global aproaches or competence but global is 
not inaf to capture the state of the art of internet development

dr.cerf is already working of the ip2-interplanetary internet protocol :-)
and this is no joke !

---

From: Sampo A Syreeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:55:14 +0200 (EET)

>want the leading rolle in the global internet for them self

Precisely. For companies, the Net is scarcely more than a simple business
asset. For us 'little people', it's a lot more.

>fact that they "together" want to "govern" the internet-its easier to 

The problem is that once many enough governments jump into the bandwagon,
they _can_ do it. Or said in another way, we can't do anything about it.

>samthing "better" than internet - today they want to "govern" it !

Well, that's just sensible strategy, again. If you can't compete something,
assimilate it.

Sampo Syreeni <[email-masked]>, Decoy/Dawn, Student (Math, Helsinki University)
Only gods and gurus like doing math. We, we just kinda like having it around.

---

From: "Rick H. Wesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:51:02 -0800 (PST)

> asset. For us 'little people', it's a lot more.

Correct, the 'little people' need to start working togther and making
decisions togther. I think the IETF used to work this way.

=============================================================================
Rick H. Wesson	 	Internet Business Services	[email-masked]
Deputy Director, PAB	http://www.gtld-mou.org/	[email-masked]