Subject: Re: Intelligent Networking and CORBA workshop

From: Zoely Canela <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:47:49 +0100

Dear Telecom Industry Leaders,

Sorry for the missing address, its coming up in the OMG server.
Enclosed is the CFP in text.
Best Regards
Zoely

> 
> Dear Telecom Industry Leaders,
> 
> Attached is a call for paper for IN CORBA workshop.
> We apologize if you received multiple copies.
> You can access this information on-line on the web
> "http://www.omg.org"
> 
> Best regards
> Zoely
> 
                                   ________________
______________________________________\              /______
Zoely Canela	                       \   ALCATEL  /
                                        \  ALSTHOM /
email: [email-masked]      RECHERCHE
phone : +33 1 69.63.12.71                 \      /
fax: 33 1 69 63 17 89		Route de Nozay, 91460 MARCOUSSIS,	
                                            FRANCE
____________________________________________\  /____________ 
                                             \/

            Call for Presentations/Papers for a 1-day Workshop on

                     Intelligent Networking using CORBA

                            Monday, 30 March 1998

           on the occasion of the OMG TC Meetings in Manchester,

                       UK, 30 March 3/4 3 April, 1998

The application of distributed object technologies, in particular CORBA, for
the development and deployment of network-based Intelligent Network services
is rapidly becoming recognized by network operators and telecommunications
equipment manufacturers. The Telecom Domain Task Force of the Object
Management Group (OMG) is pioneering the search for practical solutions in
this area through Requests for Information and Requests for Proposals.

To seek the involvement of a wider community of experts in developing
solutions in this area, a full-day, strategic workshop on the application of
CORBA technology to Intelligent Networking is being planned for Monday, 30
March, 1998, on the occasion of the OMG TC Meeting in Manchester, UK, March
30 ? April 3, 1998.

The workshop will be divided into four sessions,

of 1 1/2 hours each, starting at 8:30 AM and concluding with a panel
discussion at 6:30 pm. The aims of this workshop are

      [Image] to learn about research and prototyping experiences for IN
     service creation and deployment using CORBA;

      [Image] to learn about current implementation and deployments of
     CORBA-based Intelligent Networking solutions within telecom networks;

      [Image] to learn about tools and development environments for service
     creation and management using CORBA and other distributed object
     technologies, including the adequacy of the CORBA infrastructure for
     building distributed IN systems;

      [Image] to identify future OMG Telecom DTF RFPs (leading to OMG
     specifications) regarding CORBA-based IN systems

      [Image] to identify projects in standards organizations and industry
     fora that seek to provide distributed computing based architectures for
     future intelligent networking services.

The four sessions will be:

      [Image] Session 1: Tools and Development Environments for Service
     Creation and Management

     This session focuses on the application of software components and
     scripting for the development of services and their management for
     rapid service delivery.

      [Image] Session 2: Distributed Architectures for Intelligent
     Networking

     There is a recognition that there is a need to evolve beyond the
     traditional IN software architecture to provide complex multi-media
     services. Traditional standards bodies such as the ITU-T as well as
     industry fora are studying open signalling architectures for the next
     generation of intelligent network services. This session will provide a
     forum for discussing the motivations, timetables and functionalities of
     these alternative architectures and where CORBA might contribute to the
     solution.

      [Image] Session 3: Research Activities and Prototyping Experiences

     This session will provide an opportunity to learn from research and
     prototyping activities in the area of service creation and management,
     as well as control of switching fabrics via open interfaces that use
     CORBA technology. In particular focus will be placed on how such
     proofs-of-concept can lead to products answering the requirements of
     scale and performance.

      [Image] Session 4: Intelligent Networking Products and Services in
     the Marketplace: Present and Future

     This sessions seeks experiences of network operators, and service
     providers in deploying CORBA-based technologies to provide
     network-based intelligent network services.

Prepared presentations and/or papers are requested for any of these four
areas. The mail should indicate which session, in the author's opinion, the
paper/presentation should be directed to. It is expected that three talks
for each of the above areas will be selected from among the papers or
proposals for talks received. The talks should be 20 minutes each, with 10
minutes for questions. The talks will be chosen on the basis of relevance to
the subject area, as well as the ability to demonstrate real solutions to
problem areas. The ability to provide demonstrations will be a plus. A
program committee (shown below) will make the determination. All talks and
papers that are accepted will be available at a publicly accessible web
site.

Deadlines:

Call for Presentations: December 15, 1997

Proposal for Presentations received: January 30, 1998

Acceptance of Presentations: February 27, 1998

Final Presentations due: March 20, 1998

The papers should be forwarded to:

 Nilo Mitra             AT&T, co-chair OMG        [email-masked]
                        Telecom DTF
 Zoely Canela           Alcatel Alsthom Recherche [email-masked]

Registration

Registration to this workshop will be through registering for the OMG TC
meeting in Manchester. See http://www.omg.org/library/tcform.htm for
registration procedures.

Don't forget to put an "X" to the appropriate meeting "Intelligent
Networking using CORBA Workshop" on Monday, 3/30/98 .

Program Committee

 Jon Siegel             OMG Director of Domain   [email-masked]
                        Technologies
 Ross Mayne             Broadcom, co-chair OMG   [email-masked]
                        Telecom DTF
 Nilo Mitra             AT&T, co-chair OMG       [email-masked]
                        Telecom DTF
 Zoely Canela           Alcatel Alsthom          [email-masked]
                        Recherche
 Declan O'Sullivan      Iona Technologies        [email-masked]
 Jeff Mishkinsky        Visigenic Software       [email-masked]
 Lincoln Osunkoya       Softwire, Inc.           [email-masked]
 Subrata Mazumdar       Lucent Technologies      [email-masked]