Subject: Protocol Action: Using Domains in LDAP/X.500 Distinguished Names to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:40:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Using Domains in LDAP/X.500
Distinguished Names' <draft-ietf-asid-ldap-domains-02.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Access,
Searching and Indexing of Directories Working Group.  The IESG contact
persons are Harald Alvestrand and Keith Moore.

Technical Summary

   The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) uses X.500-compatible
   distinguished names for providing unique identification of entries.

   This document defines an algorithm by which a name registered with the
   Internet Domain Name Service can be represented as an LDAP
   distinguished name.

   This functionality was originally described in RFC 1279 (Experimental),
   and has seen wide usage in the LDAP community.
   There is now a need to have this on the standards track, for usage in
   LDAP deployment documents and in MIXER mapping table distribution.

Working Group Summary

   There was WG consensus on the solution described here.

Protocol Quality

   The spec has been reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand