Subject: RFC 2278 on Charset Registration

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:37:04 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 19:
        RFC 2278:

        Title:      IANA Charset Registration Procedures
	Author(s):  N. Freed, J. Postel
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       January 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      10
        Characters: 18881
        Updates/Obsoletes:  None

        URL:        ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2278.txt

MIME [RFC-2045, RFC-2046, RFC-2047, RFC-2184] and various other modern
Internet protocols are capable of using many different charsets. This
in turn means that the ability to label different charsets is
essential. This registration procedure exists solely to associate a
specific name or names with a given charset and to give an indication
of whether or not a given charset can be used in MIME text objects. In
particular, the general applicability and appropriateness of a given
registered charset is a protocol issue, not a registration issue, and
is not dealt with by this registration procedure.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.