Subject: RE: Internet Companies Welcome Idea of G

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 12:17:08 +0000

Vint

I think we are talking at cross purposes.

I completely accept that the GIP has business motives.  (Whether these   
commercial motivations are foreign to the IETF i'm not in a position to   
comment on.)

However, my point is that, however laudable the sentiments of the GIP and   
its members, it will continue to be regarded with suspicion in some   
quarters so long as its public utterances come from people who are also   
working within large companies which obviously have a vested interest.   
That's why I suggested having some sort of neutral, nominal head who   
could present the GIPs arguments and be completely above the claim they   
are biased.

For instance, when I first reported on the GIP, the reaction I received   
was sceptical. Top Microsoft employees in Europe poured scorn on it just   
because of the involvement of Clark. Telco employees questioned BT's   
motives, especially given its semi-protected position in the UK and the   
inclusion of MCI within the GIP membership. I'm not saying these people   
are right, far from it, but in such a competitive world, I can understand   
their reactions. That's why a neutral spokesperson seems to me to be   
needed.

Finally, I don't agree with your comment - 'my view is distorted by my   
interest in commercial
use of Internet.'

I don't believe this to be true, and your long experience and input has   
proved this. But I think its important to recognise that because oyu are   
representative of MCI in oyur official position, then some will make this   
point.

cheers

m

Mike Bracken
Deputy Editor
Internet Magazine
(t) 44 171 208 5058
pager - 01523 120720

 -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [SMTP:MIME @INTERNET [email-masked]}]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 1997 11:33 AM
To: Mike Bracken; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Internet Companies Welcome Idea of G

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------  
 --
Mike,

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:53:16 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Bracken
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 1997 12:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: Internet Companies Welcome Idea of G

Vint

cheers

m

Mike Bracken
Deputy Editor
Internet Magazine
(t) 44 171 208 5058
pager - 01523 120720

---

From: "Ngamani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:58:52 +0100

unsubscribe