Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-li-paste-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:53:37 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Provider Architecture for Differentiated Services and Traffic Engineering
	Author(s)	: T. Li, Y. Rekhter
	Filename	: draft-li-paste-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 14-Jan-98
	
This document describes the Provider Architecture for Differentiated
   Services and Traffic Engineering (PASTE) for Internet Service
   Providers (ISPs).  Providing differentiated services in ISPs is a
   challenge because the scaling problems presented by the sheer number
   of flows present in large ISPs makes the cost of maintaining per-flow
   state unacceptable.  Coupled with this, large ISPs need the ability
   to perform traffic engineering by directing aggregated flows of
   traffic along specific paths.
 
   PASTE addresses these issues by using Multiprotocol Label Switching
   (MPLS) [1] and the Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) [2] to create
   a scalable traffic management architecture that supports
   differentiated services.  This document assumes that the reader has
   at least some familiarity with both of these technologies.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-li-paste-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-li-paste-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-li-paste-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.