Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:24:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate HTML Documents Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents, such as 
			  HTML (MHTML)
	Author(s)	: N. Shelness, A. Hopmann, J. Palme
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-05.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 16-Feb-98
	
HTML [RFC 1866] defines a powerful means of specifying multimedia
documents. These multimedia documents consist of a text/html root
resource (object)and other subsidiary resources (image, video clip,
applet, etc. objects) referenced by Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs)
within the text/html root resource. When an HTML multimedia document is
retrieved by a browser, each of these component resources is
individually retrieved in real time from a location, and using a
protocol, specified by each URI.
 
In order to transfer a complete HTML multimedia document in a single e-
mail message, it is necessary to:- a) aggregate a text/html root
resource and all of the subsidiary resources it references into a
single composite message structure, and b) define a means by which URIs
in the text/html root can reference subsidiary resources within that
composite message structure.
 
This document does both. It a) defines the use of a MIME
multipart/related structure to aggregate a text/html root resource and
the subsidiary resources it references, and b) specifies two MIME
content-headers (Content-Base and Content-Location) that allow URIs in
a multipart/related text/html root body part to reference subsidiary
resources in other body parts of the same multipart/related structure.
 
While initially designed to support e-mail transfer of complete multi-
resource HTML multimedia documents, these conventions can also be
employed by other transfer protocols such as HTTP and FTP to retrieve a
complete multi-resource HTML multimedia document in a single transfer
or for storage and archiving of complete HTML-documents.
 
Differences between this and a previous version of this standard, which
was published as RFC 2110, are summarized in chapter 13.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-05.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-05.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.