Subject: Re: [URN] development track for "where-it-says"

From: [email-masked] (David G. Durand)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:31:41 -0800

The XLL linking language has a very simple literal string match in its
locator language (whose expressions _can_ be placed in the fragment
identifier of a URL). It also has a lot of structural operations that
don't make much sense for non-XML documents, of course.

The current URL architecture forces you to decide if things are server
side (in the URL) or client-side (in the fragment ID). At one point
XML had added an additional delimiter ("|", I believe) to express that
the application is free to decide.

I'm behind on the drafts, so this may have changed -- and the drafts
may not currently reflect the editor's most recent thinking, but I'm
not aware that this aspect has changed from what I'm describing.

   -- David
xvip
------------------------------------------+----------------------------
David Durand                 [email-masked]| [email-masked]
Boston University Computer Science        | Dynamic Diagrams
http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/dgd/  | http://dynamicDiagrams.com/
                                          | MAPA: mapping for the WWW

---

From: Dan Connolly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:03:56 -0600

David G. Durand wrote:
> The XLL linking language

http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-link-970731

-- 
Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
Always cite a source!
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/#cite