Subject: Protocol Action: Mail Monitoring MIB to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 11:55:59 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of:

o Mail Monitoring MIB <draft-ietf-madman-mail-monitor-mib-06.txt> as a
  Proposed Standard. This document will replace RFC1566

o Network Services Monitoring MIB <draft-ietf-madman-nsm-mib-07.txt> as
  a Proposed Standard. This document will replace RFC1565

These documents are the product of the Mail and Directory Management
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Harald Alvestrand and
Keith Moore.

Technical Summary

 The Mail Monitoring MIB is intended for monitoring mail servers
 (MTAs), including multiprotocol mail servers such as X.400 MTAs,
 Internet mail servers and mail gateways.
 The Network Services Monitoring MIB abstracts out features that
 are common between mail servers and directory servers, attempting
 to provide an object set that is useful for several server-based
 applications that provide network services.

Working Group Summary

 The updates from RFC 1565 and 1566 are minor, most having to
 do with the provision of more information about various items,
 including room for URLs to point to further info.
 Feedback from the Electronic Mail Association's TSC group has
 been incorporated.

Protocol Quality

 The spec was reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.