Subject: Re: Telnet Encryption Specification

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 98 13:15:48 EST

>     c) IETF-process: right now there's no Telnet WG active in the
> IETF.  How do these augmented RFC1416 drafts get approved?  How does
> the TN3270E WG, which is active (and of which I'm a co-chair) relate
> to these standards?  If the rfc1416 augmentations are really
> describing existing practice, what are our options for
> standardization process?

This is a big question for me as well.  I have two drafts which I am
getting ready to submit.  One of them is a new Telnet Option to 
automate the negotiation of Kermit Server mode in a new Internet 
Kermit Service (the second draft) we are developing.

The IKS is a replacement for FTP which is based on Telnet.  It uses
Kermit protocol for file transfer, Telnet Authentication/Encryption,
is firewall safe because it only requires a single socket, and may
also be used over mixed transports (tcp/ip and x.25 or dialup or SNA
or ...).

Anyway, reviving the Telnet Working Group I believe would be a good
idea.  There are other drafts in progress (3270Extended, ???) which 
could also be handled by that group.

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
       612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025 * (212) 854-1344
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html * [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Boe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:19:22 -0800 (PST)

> could also be handled by that group.

Uh, that's my working group (TN3270E, that is). Extra credit for enthusiasm,
though :-).

/msb