Subject: The "new IANA"...

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:50:15 -0600

On Monday, February 23, 1998 12:44 PM, William Allen Simpson[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
<snip>
@
@The Rule explicitly places the new corporate entity above the IAB
@(now relegated to a minor consulting role) and the IETF, and
@considerably expands its powers outside the current IANA scope.   This
@is not a "new IANA" folks, this is much more!
@

It appears as if the ISOC is already in the position of being
above the IETF, IESG and IAB. The "new IANA" will be independent
of that hierarchy.

@@@ http://www.isoc.org/whatsnew/hr_testimony_written_970930.html

"Since no one owns the Internet (nor should anyone), no one can
dictate what new standards and protocols must run on the Internet.
ISOC is the organizational home of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG), and
the Internet Architecture Board (IAB), the groups responsible for
developing the Internet's technical underpinnings. What they create
becomes the standard, not because of any club ISOC wields, but
because there is such widespread industry involvement in their
deliberations that a broad based consensus is achieved."

@@@@@

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI