Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:47:11 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LDAP-based Routing of SMTP Messages:  Approach 
                          Used by Netscape
	Author(s)	: H. Lachman
	Filename	: draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 29-Dec-97
	
   Directory services based on the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
   (LDAP) [1] and X.500 [2] provide a general-purpose means to store
   information about users and other network entities.  One of the many
   possible uses of a directory service is to store information about
   users' email accounts, such as their email addresses, and how
   messages addressed to them should be routed.  In the interest of
   interoperability, it is desirable to have a common schema for such
   email-related information.
 
   This document defines an object class called 'mailRecipient' to
   support SMTP [3] message transfer agents (MTAs) in routing RFC 822-
   based email messages [4] within an organization.  The intent is to
   suggest a model for MTA interoperability via the directory, to
   provide information about a solution that has been implemented and
   deployed, and to stimulate discussion about whether and how to
   standardize the functionality in question.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.