Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-SA-revised-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 12:06:27 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Revised SA negotiation mode for ISAKMP/Oakley
	Author(s)	: B. Patel, M. Jeronimo
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-SA-revised-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 04-Dec-97
	
   ISAKMP/OAKLEY [2][3] is the key management protocol defined by IPSEC
   working to be a framework for authentication, security association
   negotiation and key management. The protocol defines two phases
   whereby, in the phase 1, the peers are authenticates, the security
   association (SA) for ISAKMP/Oakley, and keying material is agreed
   upon by the peers to secure ISAKMP messages. The phase 2 is used to
   negotiate security association for security applications (e.g.,
   IPSEC AH and ESP). When perfect forward secrecy is required, phase 2
   is also used to exchange keying material for the application.
   However, when perfect forward secrecy is not a requirement, the
   keying material from the phase 1 is used to generate session keys
   for the secure communication applications.
 
   The proposal in this document is based on the observation that when
   perfect forward secrecy is not a requirement, if application
   specific SA was negotiated during phase 1, the application can start
   immediately after phase 1. The phase 2 can be used subsequently for
   key refresh on per need bases in the future. Therefore, this
   proposal reduces startup time for communication and improves the
   efficiency of the protocol.
 
   Remark: This document is NOT self-contained, it is intended as an
   addendum to [2][3]. Thus, it is best read in conjunction with
   [2][3].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-SA-revised-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-SA-revised-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-SA-revised-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.