Subject: RFC 2270 on Dedicated AS

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:41:29 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         RFC 2270:

        Title:      Using a Dedicated AS for Sites  Homed to a Single
		    Provider
	Author(s):  J. Stewart, T. Bates, R. Chandra, E. Chen
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       January 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      6
        Characters: 12063
        Updates/Obsoletes:  None

        URL:        ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2270.txt

With the increased growth of the Internet, the number of customers
using BGP4 has grown significantly. RFC1930 outlines a set of
guidelines for when one needs and should use an AS. However, the
customer and service provider (ISP) are left with a problem as a
result of this in that while there is no need for an allocated AS
under the guidelines, certain conditions make the use of BGP4 a very
pragmatic and perhaps only way to connect a customer homed to a single
ISP.  This paper proposes a solution to this problem in line with
recommendations set forth in RFC1930.

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.