Subject: acronym expansions?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 15:05:25 -0800

Where might one find expansions for these acronyms..

APNIC
ARIN
NANOG
PAB

?

thanks,

Jeff

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 17:47:11 -0800

>Where might one find expansions for these acronyms..

Asia Pacific Nic

ARIN is the north american nic, but i don't remember the acronym

North American Network Operators Group

Policy Advisory Body

d/
--------------------
Dave Crocker                                          +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                           fax: +1 408 249 6205  
675 Spruce Dr.                               [email-masked]
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                    http://www.brandenburg.com

---

From: Kim Hubbard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 21:40:49 -0500 (EST)

> ARIN is the north american nic, but i don't remember the acronym

American Registry for Internet Numbers - www.arin.net

Kim Hubbard
ARIN

---

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 18:03:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I think the best way to find acronym expansions these days is to search the 
web, e.g., AltaVista. That's what I did recently when I compiled the latest
edition of the Interop Pocket Glossary of Networking terms. It should be
available online at (www.interop.com), if not call them and ask if they have
any paper copies left.

The PAB did not exists when I did the latest revision, but it stands for
"Policy Advisory Board" and you can find out more at: www.gtld-mou.org.

The others are:

APNIC: Asia Pacific Network Information Center. A Non-profit Internet 
Registry Organisation for The Asia Pacific Region. The other Internet
Registries are currently IANA, RIPE NCC and InterNIC. (see www.apnic.net)

ARIN: American Registry for Internet Numbers. A non-profit organization 
established for the purpose of administration and registration of Internet 
Protocol (IP) numbers to the geographical areas currently managed by 
Network Solutions (InterNIC). Those areas include, but are not limited to, 
North America, South America, South Africa and the Caribbean. (see 
www.arin.net)

NANOG: North American Network Operator's Group. The primary forum for 
information exchange among U.S. exchange point participants, Internet 
Service Providers, and end users. NANOG meetings offer updates on federal 
and industry network initiatives, network routing and operations, Internet 
growth and performance, registry and allocation issues, and emerging 
technologies and protocols. (see www.nanog.org)

Exactly why NANOG is in .org and the others are in .net is a question I
cannot answer ;-)

Hope this helps.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen                            |       ||        ||        |
Editor and Publisher                       |       ||        ||        |
Business Development Group                 |      ||||      ||||       |
Tel: +1 408-527-8972                       |  ..:||||||:..:||||||:..   |
e-mail: [email-masked]                      |  C i s c o S y s t e m s  |

See you at APRICOT, Manila, 16-20 Febr, 1998  http://apricot.net
See you at INET'98, Geneva, 21-24 July, 1998  http://www.isoc.org/inet98