Subject: Re: [URN] URI documents -- "# fragment"

From: Foteos Macrides <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:44:31 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>to follow up on what John C. Mallery said:
>
>> Might be worth noting that #fragment is utterly bogus.  It is a
>> positional identifier and cannot be recycled for server-side
>> fragments because it has been consumed by legacy web
>> applications.
>
>I can't grok your claim.  The way I interpret current practice
>the 'fragment' is not positional at all but reference to a name
>in a namespace.  So the client positions the cursor at the start
>of the named item which is a text range in this kind of document.
>But the URL usage is namewise, not positionwise.

	It is positional for the URI syntax in the sense that
it must be the right-most field in a URI-reference, and the URI,
itself, is to the left of the delimiter.  You are thinking about
one type of fragment instruction which applies to text/html, but
there is another, for seeking a MAP element associated with a
client-side image map.  Nothing in the URL -> URI draft precludes
formulation of other instructions, and use of lists in the format:

	#name1=value1;name2=value2[;...]

although perhaps the fragment = *uric in Section 3 needs a statement
that '=' and ';' are reserved, homologous to that following the
query = *uric in Section 4.3.3.

	How about this:
	
	smtp:[email-masked]#subject=Backward%20Compatibility

Hmm... Is that fragment an instruction to the client, the server, or both?
Or how about this:

	smtp:;to=[email-masked];subject=Backward%20Compatibility

That's a URI, and maybe some useful instruction could be added via a
fragment to make it a URI-reference. :)

	In any case, a fragment need not be an instruction concerning an
HTML/XML/SGML NAME -- but the first thing a parser must do is separate it
from the URI in a URI-reference (and then further separate components of
the URI, or invoke some resolver).

				Fote

=========================================================================
 Foteos Macrides            Worcester Foundation for Biomedical Research
 [email-masked]         222 Maple Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA 01545
=========================================================================

---

From: Al Gilman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:17:03 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what Foteos Macrides said:

> itself, is to the left of the delimiter.  

As distinguished from ;qualifier that can refine the parse tree
almost anywhere.

OK I get that.

Al

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:29:00 PST

>      smtp:[email-masked]#subject=Backward%20Compatibility

The revised 'mailto' scheme used ?, not #, to delimit client
side modifications of the basic locator.

Larry
-- 
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter