Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fleischman-codec-subtree-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:51:28 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Codec Registration Tree
	Author(s)	: E. Fleischman
	Filename	: draft-fleischman-codec-subtree-00.txt
	Pages		: 66
	Date		: 09-Jan-98
	
Four top-level registration trees currently exist within the Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) as established by RFC 2048 [1]. These
trees are the
1) IETF Tree for registrations provided via RFCs,
2) Vendor Tree for vendor-initiated registrations,
3) Personal or Vanity tree for experimental registrations, and the
4)  ''Special X. Tree'' for unregistered values.
The MIME Registration Procedures, as outlined in Section 2.1.5 of RFC
2048, has also established a provision for IANA to create a new top-
level registration tree, with the consent of the IESG, for the rare
instances of registrations not fitting into one of these four
categories.
 
This document establishes a new top-level registration tree, the Codec
Tree. This tree exists to incorporate codec identifiers within the IANA
namespace for codecs that have been already registered by an
alternative (non-Internet) registry agency. Incorporating these
identifications within the Internet namespace permits Internet
protocols, e.g., RTP [2], to refer to these codecs in a standard
fashion.
 
The Codec Tree will initially be populated by codec identifiers that
have already been registered for WAVE and AVI files into the IANA
namespace. The initial registrar for WAVE and AVI codecs is Microsoft.
The tree may be subsequently populated by codec identifications coming
from additional registries (e.g., QuickTime). Specifically, this
document establishes that the already registered codecs will maintain
their current registered names when they populate the Codec Tree. For
example, a video codec with the FourCC identifier value of ''SCRN'' would
be known as ''video/codec-SCRN'' within the Codec namespace and an audio
codec with the WAVE Format ID value of 123 would be known as
''audio/codec-123'' in the Codec namespace. The identities of the codec
IDs that are taken from the Microsoft Codec Registry are given in
Appendix A (for audio codecs) and Appendix B (for video codecs).

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fleischman-codec-subtree-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-fleischman-codec-subtree-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fleischman-codec-subtree-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.