Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-pipr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:27:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Presence Information Protocol Requirements
	Author(s)	: L. Dusseault, M. Calsyn
	Filename	: draft-dusseault-pipr-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 10-Feb-98
	
Online users have demonstrated a desire to know instantly whether
another individual is online, to be notified when another
individual arrives online, and to send instant messages.  These
applications currently use independent, non-standard and usually
non-interoperable protocols.  The goal is to define a standard
protocol so that independently written client and server
implementations can participate in a global network of ''online''
users.
 
This draft outlines requirements for a Presence Information
Protocol to support these applications.

Distribution of this document is unlimited. Please send comments
to the RVP discussion list at [email-masked], which may be
joined by sending a message with subject ''subscribe'' to rvp-
[email-masked]. Archives of past messages are available.
Send the single word \021help\022 to [email-masked] for more
information.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dusseault-pipr-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-pipr-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-pipr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.