Subject: Future requirements for IETF hosts?

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:58:32 -0500

Thinking out load: wouldn't it be great to require future hosts
to use DHCP in the terminal room? Not having it is a real pain
in the neck.

Good morning,

- paul

---

From: "John W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:13:52 -0500

>to use DHCP in the terminal room? Not having it is a real pain

And what happened to routing AppleTalk for printers for us poor,
downtrodden Mac users?

john  w noerenberg, ii
[email-masked]
pager: [email-masked]
  ----------------- --------------------------- ----------------------
  "The great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps
   with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self Reliance", 1841
  ----------------- --------------------------- ----------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:31:35 -0500

> to use DHCP in the terminal room? Not having it is a real pain

Umm.. require *supporting* it, or require it as The Way To Do It?

The former seems a good idea.  The latter may cause hassles for
those unable to do DHCP (old laptops, firewall considerations, etc)...

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:21:38 -0500

>Umm.. require *supporting* it, or require it as The Way To Do It?

The former, of course.

- paul

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 00:31:50 +1030

Both of these things are mentioned in the draft that I (and my
cohorts) have been working on (although we don't mention DHCP by name
to avoid dating the document too quickly :-).

The current draft is draft-prior-future-host-guidelines-02 but -03
should be out relatively soon after the IETF.

Mark.

---

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 07:08:52 -0800 (PST)

I think what we need in addition to a document is a "standing committee"
of terminal room wizards, to record lessons learned, advise future hosts
and mainatin the institutional memory. 

Ole

------------------------------------------------
Ole J. Jacobsen, Internet Citizen
Phone:  +1 415-550-9427
Fax:    +1 415-826-2008
E-mail: [email-masked], [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------

---

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:59:31 -0500

>and mainatin the institutional memory. 

No disagreement here.  ;-)

- paul

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Weiss)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:21:53 -0500 (EST)

> >Umm.. require *supporting* it, or require it as The Way To Do It?

Actually, the DC terminal DID support DHCP - it was just an
unadvertised feature!  I did received an address on a sheet of paper
as I walked into the room, but my laptop was already configured to use
DHCP.  I thought that it would just bomb out the first time I tried
and then I'd have to configure it with the provided address. Nope,
DHCP worked everytime I connected.

Howie

-- 
 ___________________________________________________________________
|                                                                   |
|Howard Weiss                        phone (410) 381-9400 x201      |
|SPARTA, Inc.                              (301) 621-8145 x201 (DC) |
|9861 Broken Land Parkway, suite 300 fax:  (410) 381-5559           |
|Columbia, MD 21046                  email: [email-masked] |
|___________________________________________________________________|

---

From: Dave Crocker / Brandenburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:17:30 -0500

>and mainatin the institutional memory. 

Stellar suggestion.  Especially coming from someone with 10 years of
experience in a company that was able to to form and use exactly such a
volunteer network operations team, with considerable success.

d/
--------------------
Dave Crocker                                          +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                           fax: +1 408 249 6205  
675 Spruce Dr.                               [email-masked]
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                    http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium             [email-masked], http://www.imc.org

---

From: Tripp Lilley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:13:09 -0500 (EST)

> volunteer network operations team, with considerable success.

And still going strong...

As a modification/addition to this suggestion -- would it make sense to
build a web-based repository for this knowledge? That way, those who
*have* the knowledge don't have to show up to still contribute...

- t.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Tripp Lilley, Perspex Imageworks, Inc. ([email-masked])
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  "So if not exactly a *Tweed* bicycle, then surely a *treed* one..."
            Berkeley Breathed, _Red Ranger Came Calling_

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:29:05 -0500

Hi all,
	I would like to thank the Newbridge people for their work.  I think
everybody can agree that this is a lot of work. Yes, sometimes, some
network problems happen, but it happens to all of us, often.
	I would like to make a constructive comment:  As I see since 2 years going
regurlarly to the ietf meetings, their is a growing number of laptops.  It
seems to me not too complicated (and not very costly for the host) to have
much more ethernet drops for the laptops.  We don't necessarly need a
switch port for each drop.

Regards, Marc.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Marc Blanchet			| [email-masked]
Viagenie inc.			| http://www.viagenie.qc.ca
3107 des hotels		| tel.: 418-656-9254 
Ste-Foy, Quebec		| fax.: 418-656-0183
Canada, G1W 4W5		| radio: VA2-JAZ
------------------------------------------------------------
pgp: 57 86 A6 83 D3 A8 58 32 F7 0A BB BD 5F B2 4B A7
------------------------------------------------------------
Auteur du livre TCP/IP Simplifié, Editions Logiques, 1997
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "John W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:35:57 -0800

>should be out relatively soon after the IETF.

Documenting host guidelines is a very good idea, Mark.  Thank you!

john  w noerenberg, ii
[email-masked]

---

From: "John W. Noerenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:38:55 -0800

>and mainatin the institutional memory.

Did a group like this develop for InterOp (at least in the days before
NetWorld -- am  I dating myself too much?)

john  w noerenberg, ii
[email-masked]