Subject: Internet Monthly Report for September, 1997

From: IMR Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 15:49:05 -0800

September 1997

INTERNET MONTHLY REPORTS
------------------------

The purpose of these reports is to communicate to the Internet Research
Group the accomplishments, milestones reached, or problems discovered by
the participating organizations.

Each organization is expected to submit a 1/2 page report on the first
business day of the month describing the previous month's activities.
These reports should be submitted via network mail to "[email-masked]".

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The Internet Monthly Report mailing list is now managed by MajorDomo at
ISI.EDU.  The announcements of new issues on the Internet Monthly Report
are sent to the IETF-Announce list and to this IMR list.

Requests to be ADDED or DELETED from the Internet Monthly report list
should be sent to "[email-masked]" with the message body either
"subscribe imr" or "unsubscribe imr".

Details on obtaining the current IMR, or back issues, via FTP or EMAIL
may be obtained by sending an EMAIL message to "[email-masked]" with
the message body "help: ways_to_get_imrs".  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting imrs

        help: ways_to_get_imrs

or  URL: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     IAB MESSAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3
     INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3

  Internet Projects

     INTERNIC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       Registration Services . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       Directory Services. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       US Domain Registry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 16
     MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 19
     UCL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 21
     IANA REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 22
     RFC EDITOR REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 22

     CALENDAR OF EVENTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  page 23
       TERENA List of Meetings. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  page 27
       SOFTBANK Forums. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  page 28

INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     The minutes of the IAB back to 1990 are available for anonymous ftp
     access on host ftp.isi.edu, directory /pub/IAB, or via the IAB
     World-Wide Web page with URL http://www.iab.org/iab/.

     Brian Carpenter IAB Chair

INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS
----------------------------

               Internet Monthly Report for September, 1997

  1. The final meeting of the year will be held in Washington, DC from
     December 8-12, 1997. Our local host is Newbridge Networks.
     Registration is scheduled to begin on October 6.

     The IETF will meet in Los Angeles from March 30 - April, 3, 1998
     and then in Chicago August 24-28. We're still looking into the
     final meeting of 1998.

     Once all arrangements have been made, notifications will be sent
     to the IETF Announcement list. Remember that information on
     future meetng sites can always be found in the file
     0mtg-sites.txt, located on the IETF shadow directories. Of
     course, this information is provided on the Web. The IETF's URL
     is:

                          http://www.ietf.org/

  2. The minutes of the IESG teleconferences be found on all the IETF
     shadow directories in the iesg directory (iesg.YY-MM-DD). They
     may also be accessed via the Web (ftp://ftp.ietf.org/iesg/)

     The following IESG minutes have been added:

       August 28, 1997
       September 8, 1997

  3. The IESG approved or recommended the following 16 Protocol
     Actions during the month of September, 1997:

     o Telnet Com Port Control Option for publication as an
       Experimental Protocol.

     o Network Element Service Specification Template for publication
       as an Informational RFC.

     o Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP) -- Version 1 Message
       Processing Rules for publication as an Informational RFC.

     o Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP) Version 1 Applicability
       Statement Some Guidelines on Deployment for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Humanities and Arts: Sharing Center Stage on the Internet for
       publication as an Informational RFC.

     o Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP) -- Version 1 Functional
       Specification for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Specification of Guaranteed Quality of Service for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o General Characterization Parameters for Integrated Service
       Network Elements for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o A Common Schema for the Internet White Pages Service for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o RSVP Management Information Base for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Integrated Services Management Information Base for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o Specification of the Controlled-Load Network Element Service
       for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o RSVP Extensions for IPSEC Data Flows for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Integrated Services Management Information Base Guaranteed
       Service Extensions for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o RPCSEC_GSS Protocol Specification for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o The Use of RSVP with IETF Integrated Services for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

  4. 18 Last Calls were issued by the IESG during the month of
     September, 1997:

     o Guide for Internet Standards Writers
       <draft-ietf-stdguide-ops-04> for consideration as a Best
       Current Practices RFC.

     o Hobbes' Internet Timeline <draft-rfced-info-hobbes-00> for
       consideration as an Informational RFC.

     o Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 2
       <draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-v2-06> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): Attribute Syntax
       Definitions <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-attributes-07> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): UTF-8 String
       Representation of Distinguished Names
       <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dn-03> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o The String Representation of LDAP Search Filters
       <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-filter-02> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3)
       <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-protocol-07> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o The LDAP URL Format <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-url-04> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o A Summary of the X.500(96) User Schema for use with LDAPv3
       <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3schema-x500-02> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): Extension for
       Transport Layer Security <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-tls-02> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o The Use of URLs as Meta-Syntax for Core Mail List Commands and
       their Transport through Message Header Fields
       <draft-baer-listspec-01> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o OTP Extended Responses <draft-ietf-otp-ext-04> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o ACAP -- Application Configuration Access Protocol
       <draft-ietf-acap-spec-06> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Anonymous SASL Mechanism <draft-ietf-acap-anon-01> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o ATM Signalling Support for IP over ATM - UNI Signalling 4.0
       Update <draft-ietf-ion-sig-uni4.0-04> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Netware/IP Domain Name and Information
       <draft-ietf-dhc-netware-options-00> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o DHCP Options for Service Location Protocol
       <draft-ietf-dhc-slp-02> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o DHCP Options for Novell Directory Services
       <draft-provan-dhcp-options-dir-serv-01> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

  5. One new working group was created

       An Open Specification for Pretty Good Privacy (openpgp)

  6. There were 157 Internet-Draft Actions during the month of
     September, 1997:

     (ion)      o Management Information Base for Frame Relay DTEs
                  <draft-ietf-iplpdn-frmib-dte-11.txt>
     (idmr)     o Core Based Trees (CBT version 2) Multicast Routing
                  -- Protocol Specification --
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-cbt-spec-10.txt>
     (none)     o Routing Aspects Of IPv6 Transition
                  <draft-ietf-ngtrans-routing-aspects-03.txt>
     (none)     o Photuris: Session Key Management Protocol
                  <draft-simpson-photuris-16.txt>
     (none)     o The Auto-Submitted, Supersedes and Expires E-mail
                  Headers <draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-10.txt>
     (mmusic)   o SDP: Session Description Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-04.txt,.ps>
     (none)     o SMTP Service Extension for Authentication
                  <draft-myers-smtp-auth-07.txt>
     (idmr)     o Core Based Trees (CBT) Multicast Routing
                  Architecture <draft-ietf-idmr-cbt-arch-06.txt>
     (ssh)      o Site Security Handbook
                  <draft-ietf-ssh-handbook-05.txt>
     (none)     o Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
                  <draft-myers-auth-sasl-12.txt>
     (grip)     o Expectations for Computer Security Incident
                  Response <draft-ietf-grip-framework-irt-08.txt>
     (pktway)   o Proposed Specification for the End-to-End (EEP)
                  PacketWay Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-pktway-protocol-eep-spec-01.txt>
     (http)     o Transparent Content Negotiation in HTTP
                  <draft-ietf-http-negotiation-04.txt>
     (drums)    o Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF
                  <draft-ietf-drums-abnf-04.txt>
     (none)     o IANA Charset Registration Procedures
                  <draft-freed-charset-reg-03.txt>
     (avt)      o RTP Payload Format for H.263 Video Streams
                  <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-payload-04.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Finding Stuff (How to discover services)
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-discovery-03.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet Public Key Infrastructure Certificate
                  Management Protocols
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki3cmp-04.txt>
     (none)     o Quality of Service Extensions to OSPF or Quality Of
                  Service Path First Routing (QOSPF)
                  <draft-zhang-qos-ospf-01.txt,.ps>
     (asid)     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
                  Extensions for Dynamic Directory Services
                  <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-06.txt>
     (avt)      o RTP Payload for Redundant Audio Data
                  <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-redundancy-01.txt,.ps>
     (none)     o SMTP Service Extension for Command Pipelining
                  <draft-freed-smtp-pipeline-02.txt>
     (none)     o Requirements for IETF Mailing Lists
                  <draft-moore-maillist-req-01.txt>
     (none)     o VENUS - Very Extensive Non-Unicast Service
                  <draft-armitage-ion-venus-03.txt>
     (asid)     o Using Domains in LDAP/X.500 Distinguished Names
                  <draft-ietf-asid-ldap-domains-02.txt>
     (bmwg)     o Benchmarking Terminology for LAN Switching Devices
                  <draft-ietf-bmwg-lanswitch-07.txt>
     (roamops)  o Review of Roaming Implementations
                  <draft-ietf-roamops-imprev-04.txt>
     (otp)      o OTP Extended Responses <draft-ietf-otp-ext-04.txt>
     (none)     o A Method for the Transmission of IPv6 Packets over
                  ARCnet Networks.
                  <draft-souvatzis-ipv6-arcnet-03.txt>
     (none)     o IMAP URL Scheme <draft-newman-url-imap-10.txt>
     (none)     o MIME Parameter Value and Encoded Word Extensions:
                  Character Sets, Languages, and Continuations
                  <draft-freed-pvcsc-04.txt>
     (none)     o The Safe Response Header Field
                  <draft-holtman-http-safe-03.txt>
     (rmonmib)  o Remote Network Monitoring MIB Extensions for Switch
                  Networks Version 1.0
                  <draft-ietf-rmonmib-smon-03.txt>
     (tip)      o Transaction Internet Protocol
                  <draft-lyon-itp-nodes-02.txt>
     (none)     o Internet Cache Protocol (ICP), version 2
                  <draft-wessels-icp-v2-03.txt>
     (none)     o Network Data Management Protocol
                  <draft-stager-pdc-netapp-backup-04.txt>
     (roamops)  o The Network Access Identifier
                  <draft-ietf-roamops-nai-07.txt>
     (none)     o Uniform Resource Locators (URL): Generic Syntax and
                  Semantics <draft-fielding-url-syntax-07.txt>
     (none)     o NNTP Full-text Search Extension
                  <draft-ballou-nntpsrch-04.txt>
     (ipsec)    o The Internet IP Security Domain of Interpretation
                  for ISAKMP <draft-ietf-ipsec-ipsec-doi-04.txt>
     (none)     o Transmission of IPv6 over IPv4 Domains without
                  Explicit Tunnels
                  <draft-carpenter-ipng-6over4-03.txt>
     (none)     o PF_KEY Key Management API, Version 2
                  <draft-mcdonald-pf-key-v2-04.txt>
     (urn)      o Architectural Principles of Uniform Resource Name
                  Resolution <draft-ietf-urn-req-frame-04.txt>
     (ion)      o Definitions of Managed Objects for Multicast over
                  UNI 3.0/3.1 based ATM Networks
                  <draft-ietf-ion-mars-mib-03.txt>
     (ids)      o Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled
                  Applications <draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-02.txt>
     (rmonmib)  o Remote Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifiers
                  <draft-ietf-rmonmib-rmonprot-v2-02.txt>
     (applmib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for WWW Services
                  <draft-ietf-applmib-wwwmib-05.txt>
     (mmusic)   o Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-04.txt,.ps>
     (find)     o A Tagged Index Object for use in the Common
                  Indexing Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-find-cip-tagged-03.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Negative Caching of DNS Queries (DNS NCACHE)
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-ncache-06.txt>

     (none)     o AT&T/Neda's Efficient Short Remote Operations
                  (ESRO) Protocol Specification Version 1.2
                  <draft-rfced-info-banan-esro-01.txt>
     (otp)      o A One-Time Password System <draft-ietf-otp-02.txt>
     (fax)      o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - Application F
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-04.txt>
     (none)     o Dublin Core Metadata for Simple Resource
                  Description <draft-kunze-dc-01.txt>
     (none)     o Communicating Presentation Information in Internet
                  Messages: The Content-Disposition Header Field
                  <draft-moore-mime-cdisp-02.txt>
     (webdav)   o Requirements for a Distributed Authoring and
                  Versioning Protocol for the World Wide Web
                  <draft-ietf-webdav-requirements-03.txt>
     (rmonmib)  o Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
                  Base for High Capacity Networks
                  <draft-ietf-rmonmib-hcrmon-02.txt>
     (rtfm)     o Traffic Flow Measurement: Meter MIB
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-meter-mib-02.txt>
     (none)     o Reliable Multicast Transport Protocol
                  <draft-shiroshita-rmtp-spec-01.txt>
     (http)     o The User Agent Hint Response Header
                  <draft-ietf-http-uahint-01.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet Public Key Infrastructure Operational
                  Protocols - LDAP <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki2opp-03.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over FDDI Networks
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-trans-fddi-net-03.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet Networks
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-trans-ethernet-03.txt>
     (poisson)  o IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures
                  <draft-ietf-poisson-wg-guide-01.txt>
     (none)     + Test Cases for HMAC-MD5 and HMAC-SHA-1
                  <draft-cheng-hmac-test-cases-00.txt>
     (none)     o S/MIME Message Specification
                  <draft-dusse-smime-msg-04.txt>
     (none)     o S/MIME Certificate Handling
                  <draft-dusse-smime-cert-03.txt>
     (none)     o RIDE classes <draft-kessens-ride-classes-01.txt>
     (none)     + Age Header Field in HTTP/1.1
                  <draft-fielding-http-age-00.txt>
     (roamops)  o Guidelines for the Operation of RADIUS Proxies in
                  Roaming <draft-ietf-roamops-auth-03.txt>
     (ipp)      o Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics
                  <draft-ietf-ipp-model-05.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Separating Identifiers and Locators in Addresses:
                  An Analysis of the GSE Proposal for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-esd-analysis-01.txt>
     (asid)     o A Summary of the X.500(96) User Schema for use with
                  LDAPv3 <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3schema-x500-02.txt>
     (none)     o UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646
                  <draft-yergeau-utf8-rev-01.txt>
     (none)     + An Approach for Using LDAP as a Network Information
                  Service <draft-howard-nis-schema-00.txt>
     (urn)      o Using Existing Bibliographic Identifiers as Uniform
                  Resource Names <draft-ietf-urn-biblio-02.txt>
     (none)     o Application of Internet Cache Protocol (ICP),
                  version 2 <draft-wessels-icp-v2-appl-03.txt>
     (printmib) o Job Monitoring MIB - V0.85
                  <draft-ietf-printmib-job-monitor-06.txt>
     (none)     o IMAP4 Namespace
                  <draft-gahrns-imap-namespace-02.txt>
     (none)     o A Protocol for the Transmission of Net News
                  Articles over IP multicast
                  <draft-rfced-exp-rupp-03.txt>
     (calsch)   o iCalendar Message-based Interoperability Protocol
                  (iMIP) <draft-ietf-calsch-imip-01.txt>
     (none)     o PKCS 7: Cryptographic Message Syntax Version 1.5
                  <draft-hoffman-pkcs-crypt-msg-02.txt>
     (none)     o IMAP4 Login Referrals
                  <draft-gahrns-imap-login-referrals-01.txt>
     (none)     + IMAP4 Mailbox Referrals
                  <draft-gahrns-imap-mailbox-referral-00.txt>
     (asid)     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
                  Extension for Transport Layer Security
                  <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-tls-02.txt>
     (tn3270e)  o Base Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E
                  Using SMIv2 <draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn3270-mib-03.txt>
     (none)     o The IP Network Address Translator (NAT)
                  <draft-rfced-info-srisuresh-03.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Token Ring
                  Networks <draft-ietf-ipngwg-trans-tokenring-02.txt>
     (none)     o IETF Policy on Character Sets and Languages
                  <draft-alvestrand-charset-policy-01.txt>
     (mhtml)    o MIME E-mail Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents,
                  such as HTML (MHTML) <draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-01.txt>
     (none)     o Transaction Internet Protocol - Requirements and
                  Supplemental Information
                  <draft-evans-tip-functions-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - image/tiff MIME
                  Sub-type Registration
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-reg-02.txt>
     (none)     o Telnet Remote Serial Port (RSP) Option
                  <draft-barnes-telnet-rsp-opt-01.txt>

     (ipcdn)    o Cable Device Management Information Base for MCNS
                  compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination
                  Systems <draft-ietf-ipcdn-cable-device-mib-01.txt>
     (ipcdn)    o Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management
                  Information Base for MCNS compliant RF interfaces
                  <draft-ietf-ipcdn-rf-interface-mib-01.txt>
     (none)     o ODETTE File Transfer Protocol
                  <draft-rfced-info-nash-01.txt>
     (none)     o A Dictionary Server Protocol
                  <draft-rfced-info-faith-02.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Test and Example Top Level Domain Names
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind
     (webdav)   o Extensions for Distributed Authoring and Versioning
                  on the World Wide Web -- WEBDAV
                  <draft-ietf-webdav-protocol-02.txt>
     (none)     o HTTP X-Connfrom header
                  <draft-harada-http-xconnfrom-01.txt>
     (entmib)   o Entity MIB Extesions for Persistent Component
                  Identification <draft-bierman-entmib-compid-01.txt>
     (ptopomib) o Physical Topology MIB
                  <draft-ietf-ptopomib-mib-01.txt>
     (ptopomib) o Physical Topology Discovery Protocol and MIB
                  <draft-ietf-ptopomib-pdp-01.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Local DNS Names
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names-01.txt>
     (none)     + Network Address Translation issues with IPsec
                  <draft-moskowitz-ipsec-vpn-nat-00.txt>
     (none)     o URLs for Telephony
                  <draft-antti-telephony-url-01.txt>
     (none)     o SPKI: ShrinkWrap
                  <draft-simpson-spki-shrinkwrap-01.txt>
     (none)     + Short Port Commands for FTP
                  <draft-metz-sport-00.txt>
     (snanau)   + Definitions of Managed Objects for Extended Border
                  Node <draft-ietf-snanau-ebnmib-00.txt>
     (none)     + Test Cases for HMAC-RIPEMD160 and HMAC-RIPEMD128
                  <draft-kapp-test-cases-00.txt>
     (nntpext)  o Network News Transport Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-nntpext-base-02.txt>
     (none)     + P_Mul: An Application Protocol for the Transfer of
                  Messages over Multicast Subnetworks and under EMCON
                  Restrictions
                  <draft-riechmann-multicast-mail-00.txt>
     (none)     + Labels for MPLS over LAN Media
                  <draft-srinivasan-mpls-lans-label-00.txt>
     (mhtml)    + The MIME Multipart/Related Content-type
                  <draft-ietf-mhtml-rel-v2-00.txt>

     (mmusic)   + The Internet Multimedia Conferencing Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-confarch-00.txt>
     (none)     o IMAP4 Implementation Recommendations
                  <draft-leiba-imap-implement-guide-01.txt>
     (idr)      o Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4
                  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-multiprotocol-01.txt>
     (idr)      + Capabilities Negotiation with BGP-4
                  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-cap-neg-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Use of DES-MAC within ESP and AH
                  <draft-bitan-auth-des-mac-00.txt>
     (none)     o How to find LDAP servers
                  <draft-moats-finding-01.txt>
     (none)     + Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism
                  (SCRAM) <draft-newman-auth-scram-00.txt>
     (dnssec)   + DSA KEYs and SIGs in the Domain Name System
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-dss-00.txt>
     (none)     + Confirmation of Mail Message Reception
                  <draft-rfced-exp-steinberg-00.txt>
     (none)     + The 'news' URL scheme
                  <draft-gilman-news-url-00.txt>
     (none)     + Pulse-Per-Second API for UNIX
                  <draft-mogul-pps-api-00.txt>
     (none)     + Avoiding the TCP TIME_WAIT state at Busy Servers
                  <draft-faber-time-wait-avoidance-00.txt>
     (idmr)     + Protocol Independent Multicast-Sparse Mode
                  (PIM-SM): Protocol Specification
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-pim-sm-specv2-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Extending POP Version 3 To Do Mailbox Compression
                  <draft-pillay-pop3-ext-00.txt>
     (none)     + The SRP Authentication and Key Exchange System
                  <draft-wu-srp-auth-00.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Token Ring
                  Networks <draft-ietf-ipngwg-tokenring-01.txt>
     (dnssec)   + Storing Certificates in the Domain Name System
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-certs-00.txt>
     (dnssec)   + Indirect Keys in the Domain Name System
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-indirect-key-00.txt>
     (none)     o INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - VERSION 4rev1
                  <draft-crispin-imapv-01.txt>
     (none)     + Generation of the Age header field in HTTP/1.1
                  <draft-mogul-http-age-00.txt>
     (http)     + Format and Example of HTTP/1.1 Requirements Summary
                  <draft-ietf-http-req-sum-00.txt>
     (manet)    + Mobile Ad hoc Networking (MANET): Routing Protocol
                  Performance Issues and Evaluation Considerations
                  <draft-ietf-manet-issues-00.txt>
     (none)     + Internet Protocol Multicast Problem Statement
                  <draft-bradner-multicast-problem-00.txt>
     (none)     + Internet Protocol Quality of Service Problem
                  Statement <draft-bradner-qos-problem-00.txt>
     (http)     + The Alternates Header Field
                  <draft-ietf-http-alternates-00.txt>
     (none)     + Use of Label Switching With Frame Relay
                  Specification <draft-conta-mpls-fr-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Application/MARC Content-type
                  <draft-rfced-info-guenther-00.txt>
     (none)     + Telnet Authentication: SRP
                  <draft-wu-telnet-auth-srp-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Fax address format in e-mail services
                  <draft-ietf-fax-addressing-00.txt>
     (none)     + RIDE referencing
                  <draft-kessens-ride-referencing-00.txt>
     (none)     + RIDE functional requirements
                  <draft-kessens-ride-requirements-00.txt>
     (none)     + IPv6 over Point-to-Point ATM Link
                  <draft-yamamoto-ipv6-over-p2p-atm-00.txt>
     (none)     + Communicating Information for External Program Use
                  in Internet Messages: The Process
                  Content-Disposition Type
                  <draft-rfced-exp-whalen-00.txt>
     (none)     + VC-ID, VC Pool, and ATM SVC Support for ATM-LSRs
                  <draft-demizu-mpls-vcid
     (cat)      + Anonymous Credentials in Kerberos
                  <draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-anoncred-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - image/tiff-f MIME
                  Sub-type Registration
                  <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-f-reg-00.txt>
     (pkix)     + Internet Public Key Infrastructure Operational
                  Protocols: FTP and HTTP
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-opp-ftp-http-00.txt>
     (cat)      + Generic Security Service Application Program
                  Interface, Version 2
                  <draft-ietf-cat-rfc2078bis-00.txt>
     (none)     + Automated Digital Network System Description
                  <draft-rfced-info-buddenberg-00.txt>
     (rtfm)     + Traffic Flow Measurement: Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-architecture-00.txt>
     (none)     + Using LDAP for SMTP Mailing Lists & Aliases
                  <draft-steinback-ldap-mailgroups-00.txt>
     (none)     + SDP syntax for H.263 options
                  <draft-koskelainen-sdp263-00.txt>
     (none)     + Mapping Financial Transaction Card Numbers into the
                  Domain Name System <draft-eastlake-card-map-00.txt>

  7. 20 RFCs were published during this period

     RFC2115 DS (ion)     Management Information Base for Frame Relay
                          DTEs Using SMIv2
     RFC2148 B  (ids)     Deployment of the Internet White Pages
                          Service
     RFC2183 PS (none)    Communicating Presentation Information in
                          Internet Messages: The Content-Disposition
                          Header Field
     RFC2184 PS (none)    MIME Parameter Value and Encoded Word
                          Extensions: Character Sets, Languages, and
                          Continuations
     RFC2185 I  (ngtrans) Routing Aspects of IPv6 Transition
     RFC2186 I  (none)    Internet Cache Protocol (ICP), version 2
     RFC2187 I  (none)    Application of Internet Cache Protocol
                          (ICP), version 2
     RFC2188 I  (none)    AT&T/Neda's Efficient Short Remote
                          Operations (ESRO) Protocol Specification
                          Version 1.2
     RFC2189 E  (idmr)    Core Based Trees (CBT version 2) Multicast
                          Routing -- Protocol Specification --
     RFC2190 PS (avt)     RTP Payload Format for H.263 Video Streams
     RFC2191 PS (none)    VENUS - Very Extensive Non-Unicast Service
     RFC2192 PS (none)    IMAP URL Scheme
     RFC2193 PS (none)    IMAP4 Mailbox Referrals
     RFC2194 I  (roamops) Review of Roaming Implementations
     RFC2195 PS (none)    IMAP/POP AUTHorize Extension for Simple
                          Challenge/Response
     RFC2196 PS (ssh)     Site Security Handbook
     RFC2197 DS (none)    SMTP Service Extension for Command
                          Pipelining
     RFC2198 PS (avt)     RTP Payload for Redundant Audio Data
     RFC2201 E  (idmr)    Core Based Trees (CBT) Multicast Routing
                          Architecture
     RFC2203 PS (oncrpc)  RPCSEC_GSS Protocol Specification

INTERNET PROJECTS
-----------------

INTERNIC
--------

     REGISTRATION SERVICES

     Gopher Sessions: 92,524         Retrievals: 8,921
     WAIS Sessions: 12,921           Retrievals: 10,118
     FTP Sessions: 105,137           Retrievals: 170,842
     Telnet Sessions: 72,951
     HTTP: 13,145,095
     Whois Client Queries: 4,860,001
     Whois Server Queries: 20,577,554

     Updates: 614,154
     email: 614,154

     Rich Landers <[email-masked]>

     INTERNIC DIRECTORY AND DATABASE SERVICES

     The Netfind Seed Database topped 2 million entries for the first
     time in September.

     Netfind version 5.1 went into production use in September.  It
     includes updates to the lookup and the search code.  The new
     support for Boolean queries allows the user to give more detailed
     specifications of a search than the previous version.  The latest
     version of Webfinder (version 2.0) is also in production and
     supports the new search features.

     Netfind is available at:

          http://ds.internic.net/wp/netfind.html

     The URL for Webfinder is:

          http://ds.internic.net/cool/WebFinder.html

     A reminder - if you would like to help the Internet community find
     a resource that you offer, send mail to [email-masked] and
     we will send information about listing your resource in the

     Directory of Directories.  If you prefer, you can enter information
     about your resource in our WWW suggestion form.  The form can be
     reached through our Directory of Directories Web page at:

          http://ds.internic.net:80/ds/dsdirofdirs.htm

     by Rick Huber <[email-masked]>

     THE US DOMAIN REGISTRY

     THE US DOMAIN
     =============

     The US Domain registration form is now available online at
     http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     The US Domain has the maps of all the delegated special domains
     online at http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     Some of the processing of the requests to the third level domain
     name is now automated. In particular, most requests to register
     names in localities already delegated are automatically forwarded
     to the administrator of that locality.

     Recent announcements:

     1. A new policy has been added to avoid several cases of
     misleading, erroneous, and outright false information provided on
     registration applications.

     One situation that occurs is that one individual represents himself
     as several distinct companies in order to bypass some limitations
     on the number of delegations allowed (e.g., the 50/500 rule).

     Another situation is that with the requirement to provide a
     government employee as the administrative contact for a locality
     delegation.  Some applications have been received with a government
     employee's contact information but that person has no idea that
     such an application has been submitted.  Some applications provide
     contact information for an individual that knows what is going on
     but is not an employee of the locality government.  Still other
     applications have been received where the administrative contact
     information is fictional.

     The US Domain Administration may choose to verify any or all of the
     information on registration applications (including the
     administrative contact) and if it is determined that the an
     application contains false of substantially misleading information
     that application may be denied, or if already acted on the
     delegation may be revoked, and in either case all other delegations
     made to the party submitting the false or misleading application
     may also be revoked.

     2. A total of about 2000 locality domains that were delegated to
     several domain name managers have been returned to the US Domain
     administrator.  These localities will be made available for
     redelegation in the coming months.

     3. For delegations made after 1-Jul-97, it is assumed by the US
     Domain Administrator that every applicant for the delegation (or
     redelegation) of a locality name has the written agreement of the
     legitimate government for that locality for the applicant to manage
     the domain name of that locality.

     Evidience of such an agreement does not need to be presented at the
     time of delegation (except that the administrative contact on the
     application template must be the government representative).
     However, if the delegation is later challenged or contested, the
     manager of the locality domain must produce the agreement.  Failure
     to do so will most likely result in the transfer of the management
     of the locality domain to another manager that does have such an
     agreement.

     If there is a dispute as to what is the legitimate government for a
     locality is and who may act for it, the league of cities or
     association of municipalities that each state (as recognized by the
     National League of Cities) may be asked to assist in resolving such
     disputes.

     In some places there are overlapping jurisdictions with the same
     name (for example, the city of Los Angeles and the county of Los
     Angeles).  In such cases, the higher level government should have
     priority.  A new policy has been added regarding the charges for
     the domain name passed on during delegation.  The administrator of
     the locality has to notify one year in advance before charging for
     those domains.

     4. The US Domain administrator no longer makes direct registrations
     of hosts, and only makes delegations of third or fourth level
     domain names (such as localities).

     US DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
     ====================================

             EMAIL/FAX            3203
             PHONE                 500
             ----------------------------
             Total Contacts       3703

             DELEGATIONS:           76
             FORWARDED REQUESTS:  1639
             OTHER US DOMAIN MSGS:1988
             ---------------------------
             Total                3703

     OTHER US DOMAIN MESSAGES include referrals to other subdomains or
     to/from the InterNic, phone calls, modifications, application
     requests, discussion and clarification of the requests, questions
     about names, resolving technical problems with zone files and name
     servers, and whois listings.

     MAJOR SUBDOMAINS DELEGATED
     ==========================

     K12     CC      TEC     STATE   LIB     MUS     GEN     DST     COG
     ===================================================================
     52      39      36      47      41      27      29      10      6
     ===================================================================

     THIRD LEVEL DELEGATIONS
     ========================

     MUS.OK.US.                      Museums, Oklahoma.

     LOCALITIES
     ==========

     LINCOLN.NE.US.                  SEDGWICK.KS.US.
     REIDSVILE.NC.US.                SUGAR-CREEK.MO.US.
     HARVARD.MA.US.                  MONON.IN.US.
     STERLING.IL.US.                 WINSTED.MN.US.
     MORRO-BAY.CA.US.                RIVERSIDE.OH.US.
     BRANCHBURG.NJ.US.               OSAWATOMIE.KS.US.
     EUREKA.MO.US.                   HAMILTON.IN.US.
     BROWARD.FL.US.                  ARLINGTON.MA.US.

     OTHER US DOMAIN DELEGATIONS THIS MONTH
     ======================================

     IAS.LAS-VEGAS.NV.US.            MCLN.LIB.AL.US.
     CO.PIMA.AZ.US.                  ACID.PALM-BEACH.FL.US.
     BOE.SEVIER.TN.US.               PAPERPOSSIBILITIES.VICTORVILLE.CA.US.
     TWSP.LITTLE-EGG-HARBOR.NJ.US.   BUTTERNUT.CLIFTON.VA.US.
     CO.CHESHIRE.NH.US.              CO.CAMBRIA.PA.US.
     24THST.WASHINGTON.DC.US.        ERICF.MIAMI.FL.US.
     TWP.JACKSON.OH.US.              HIGHWAY-24.UTAH.UT.US.
     GREEEN-RIVER.UTAH.UT.US.        NS.MIAMI.FL.US.
     CO.CAMPBELL.TN.US.              LIBERTY.JURUPA.CA.US.
     ONLINE.MILILANI.HI.US.          INFO.FORT-MYERS.FL.US.
     INFO.NAPLES.FL.US.              CO.CALAVERAS.CA.US.
     CI.FAIRVIEW.TN.US.              CI.PORTLAND.TX.US.
     CI.OPELIKA.AL.US.               TOWN.DARTMOUTH.MA.US.
     CI.SARASOTA.FL.US.              CO.BUENA-VISTA.IA.US.
     PAINTCREEK.ROCHESTER.MI.US.     QUAKE.PITTSBURGH.PA.US.
     CI.AUBURN.ME.US.                GCI.LAS-VEGAS.NV.US.
     GLOBAL.LAS-VEGAS.NV.US.         NORWAY.SOUTH-PARIS.ME.US.
     CI.ATKINSON.NE.US.              CI.HOLDREGE.NE.US.
     SWMD.CO.PERRY.IN.US.            MLH.DST.CA.US.
     SULPHUR.CISCO.UT.US.            CI.CRAIG.CO.US.
     JAVATERRA.RAYMOND.ME.US.        CI.HARRISVILLE.UT.US.
     IWCC.MIAMI.FL.US.               STCRPDB.DST.NY.US.
     HASENTALER.THOUSAND-OAKS.CA.US. UNITEDWAY.ESCAMBIA.FL.US.
     DRIVEN.SOUTHGATE.MI.US.         PANTS.JOPLIN.MO.US.
     LSD.TAKILMA.OR.US.              LVMWD.DST.CA.US.
     CO.CENTRE.PA.US.                CI.QUEEN-CREEK.AZ.US.
     DODGER.HORNELL.NY.US.           POLICE.EAST-WINDSOR.NJ.US.
     CO.HOWARD.IN.US.                CI.FLOWER-MOUND.TX.US.
     CO.OTTAWA.MI.US.                PROPERTY-APPRAISER.CITRUS.FL.US.

     URL: http://www.isi.edu/us-domain/

     Shanthi Ranganathan ([email-masked])

MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING
--------------------------

     This report summarizes September 1997 activities of
     Merit's Internet Engineering group on behalf of the Routing Arbiter
     (RA) service and other projects.

     New tools and statistical reports on the Merit Web pages provide a
     variety of useful information about the current status of the Internet
     Routing Registry (IRR).  A new Java applet known as RODAN, the Route
     Object Duplicate and aggregation ANalyzer, makes it possible to
     display:

       -  All IRR routes originating from an AS.

       -  Duplicate objects, i.e., routes registered with the same
          origin AS in more than one registry, or registered more than
          once in a single registry.

       -  Routes that could be aggregated  to less specific prefixes.

     The reports also include monthly counts of:

       -  Updates of IRR Route objects, AS objects, and Maintainer
          objects.

       -  Routes registered in more than one IRR database.

       -  All queries to RAWhoisd, the RADB whois server, and whois
          queries to RAWhoisd.

       -  IRR Route objects with multiple AS origins.  In many cases,
          network operators choose to multihome their routes to ensure a
          redundant connection to the Internet. Other such routes are
          duplicates that have been mistakenly left in the registry.

     The new Web pages are available from:

             http://www.ra.net/RADB.tools.docs/stats/

     Jake Khuon attended the 28th RIPE meeting in Amsterdam. At the Routing
     Working Group, he gave a presentation on the Policy Analysis of
     Internet Routing (PAIR) project, which makes it possible to compare
     prescribed policy, i.e., policy registered in the Internet Routing
     Registry, with policy actually being configured in the Internet.  (See
     (http://www.rsng.net/pair/). At the Database Working Group, Khuon gave
     a talk on privacy extensions to RIPE-181 in the Routing Arbiter
     Database.

     Craig Labovitz presented a paper titled "Internet Routing Instability"
     at the ACM SIGCOMM '97 conference.  Co-authored with student Robert
     Malan and Professor Farnam Jahanian of the University of Michigan
     Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, the paper
     won the SIGCOMM '97 Best Conference Paper award.  The monograph
     examines the backbone inter-domain routing information exchanged
     between network service providers at the major U.S. public Internet
     exchange points. The authors describe several unexpected trends in
     routing instability, and examine a number of anomalies and pathologies
     observed in the exchange of inter-domain routing information.  The
     researchers show that the volume of these routing updates is several
     orders of magnitude more than expected, and the majority of this
     routing information is shown to be pathological. Furthermore, the
     analysis reveals several unexpected trends and ill-behaved systematic
     properties in Internet routing.  Several explanations for these
     anomalies are posited and evaluated with regard to their potential
     impact on the Internet infrastructure.  The paper is available from:

             ftp://ftp.merit.edu/statistics/ipma/html/docs/lmjSigcomm97.ps.gz

     Sue Hares attended the first "TRAIL (Testbed Routers for Advanced
     Internet Labs) Workshop on IPv6 Hands-On Network Research," sponsored
     by the National Science Foundation.  The goal of the workshop was to
     advance hands-on IP networking, and especially IP Next Generation,
     research.

     Susan R. Harris ([email-masked])

UCL
----

     Jon Crowcroft, Isidor Kouvelas, Colin Perkins, Panos Gevros and
     Lorenzo Vicisano from UCL attended the ACM SIGCOMM '97 Conference in
     Cannes, France , and also attended the NS and RM workshops. The UL
     work on relaible multicast was presented at the RM workshop by our
     collaborator from Pisa, Luigi Rizzo.

     We are working on switching over to the FreeBSD router on the CAIRN
     link.

     The 16 Wavelength WDM net between UCL, Essex, Cambridge and BT
     Research Labs is about to go live - Initial IP on SDH deployment is
     currently being tested. See http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/jon/pearl
     for some details.

     John Crowcroft ([email-masked])

IANA REPORT
-----------

     Country Codes                           1
     DHCP Options                            1
     Multicast Addresses: Individual         2
     PPP Field Assignments                   1
     Private Enterprise Numbers              64
     Port Numbers                            38
     Protocol Numbers                        1
     SMI Numbers                             6

RFC EDITOR REPORT
-----------------

This is a summary of Request for Comments Editor activity for the
month of September, 1997:

                             TIME IN QUEUE
DOCUMENTS        New*   30 days     60 days      90 days      TOTAL
------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                             |
Beginning of      0        10          15            16      | 41
month                                                        |
                                                             |
New               24        0           0             0      | 24
                                                             |
                                                             |
Processed         16       10           9             6      | 41
------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                             |
End of month       8        0           6            10      | 24

* New RFCs added to queue throughout the month

Processed documents include those that are "Do Not Publish" as well
as published RFCs.  This month a few RFCs were published that
had previously been "Do Not Publish".  For this reason the "Beginning
of Month" numbers, for RFCs that have been in the queue for 60 and
90 days, are not the same numbers as the "End of Month" numbers from
last month.  Documents added back to the queue include:

        60 Days
                draft-cheng-hmac-test-cases-00.txt
                draft-rfced-info-nash-01.txt
        90 Days
                draft-rfced-info-banan-esro-00.txt

The Requests for Comments (RFCs) are a series of notes, started in
1969, about the Internet (originally the ARPANET). The notes discuss
many aspects of computing and computer communication focusing in
networking protocols, procedures, programs, and concepts, but also
including meeting notes, opinion, and sometimes humor. The
specification documents of the Internet protocol suite, as defined by
the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its steering group (the
IESG), are published as RFCs.

RFCs-to-be are edited by the RFC Editor.  RFCs enter the RFC Editor's
work queue either by an action of the IESG or by independent
submission.  Most independent submissions are referred to the IESG to
check for overlap with IETF work.  The IESG might put a hold on a
document to gather more input from its members.  The wait for an RFC
to be published varies as there can be unforeseen complications
(typically editorial matters that need clarification from the author).
Documents can be removed from the publication queue if they are found
to be insufficient or incorrect or if the IESG asks the author to join
work already in progress in the IETF.

Alegre Ramos ([email-masked])

CALENDAR
--------

Last update 09/30/97

The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat
as a means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are
requested to send in dates of events that are appropriate for this
calendar section. Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to:

               <[email-masked]>

Please note: The Secretariat does not maintain on-line information
for the events listed below.

A copy of this calendar is available as follows:

VIA FTP
-------
IETF Information is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

        US East Coast Address:  ds.internic.net (198.49.45.10)
        US West Coast Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)
        Europe Address:  nic.nordu.net (192.36.148.17)
        Pacific Rim Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)
        Africa Address:       ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.12)

WWW
-------
<http://www.ietf.org/home.html> Click on the link for "meetings" and
you should find an entry "listing of other Internet related events".

************************************************************************

1997
----

Oct. 6-10         NetWorld+Interop                Atlanta, GA
Oct. 6-10         ANSI X3T11  (host by FSI)       Tucson, AZ
Oct. 7-10         COMDEX Internet '97 and Object World '97
                  Internet Forum Europe (IFE) & Object
                     World Frankfurt (OWF)        Frankfurt, Germany
Oct. 15-17        USENIX Conf. on Domain-Specific
                     Languages (DSL)              Santa Barbara, CA
Oct. 20-23        NetWorld+Interop                Paris, France
Oct. 23-24        TERENA General Assembly         Madrid
Oct. 24-26        1st Int'l Enterprise Distributed
                   Objected Computing Wrkshop
                   EDOC '97                       Gold Coast, Australia
Oct. 23-25        ETSI                            Nice, France
Oct. 26-31        11th USENIX Sys. Admin
                    Conference (LISA '97)         San Diego, CA
Oct. 27-28        NANOG 11 Meeting                Phoenix, AZ
Oct. 27-28        Mobile Agents & Security Wrkshp Baltimore, MD
Oct. 27-30        NetWorld+Interop                London
Oct. 27-31        EWOS Workshops                  Brussels
Oct. 28-31        IEEE Int'l Conf. on
                      Network Protocols           Atlanta, GA
Nov. 3-5          APPN Implementers Workshop      Raleigh, NC
Nov. 3-5          Int'l Test Conference 1997
                  Sheraton Washington Hotel       Washington, DC
Nov. 3-7          ANSI X3T10 '97
Nov. 3-7          SPIE Int'l Symposium
                   Voice, Video & Data Communications
                   Conf. on Performance & Control of
                   Network System - Special Session on
                   Switching & Traffic Mgmt in
                   High Speed Networks            Dallas, TX
Nov. 3-7          2nd French/Brazilian Symposium
                  on Distributed System Architectures:
                  Telecommunication Multimedia Architectures
                                                  Ceara, Brazil
Nov. 8-14         ACM MULTIMEDIA '97              Seattle, WA
Nov. 10-14        IEEE 802 Plenary  Queen Elizabeth, Montreal
Nov. 12-13        8th Maryland Workshop on
                   Very High Speed Networks       Baltimore, MD
Nov. 12-13        CEN/CENELEC/ETSI                Brussels
Nov. 19-21        ICCC'97                         Cannes, France
Nov. 24-26        PROMSMmNet '97
                   Multimedia Networking          Santiago, Chile
Nov. 27-28        NetWorld+Interop                Sydney, Australia
Nov. 30-Dec 5     ATM Forum                       Singapore
Dec. 1-3          30th IEEE/ACM Int'l Symposium
                   on Microarchitecture           RTC, NCA
Dec. 1-5          ANSI X3T11 (host by DPT)        Orlando, FL
Dec. 2-3          EWOS Assembly                   Brussels
Dec. 8-12         40th IETF (Host: Newbridge)     Washington, DC
Dec. 8-12         OIW (Firm)
Dec. 8-11         USENIX Symposium on Internet Technology
                      and Systems)                Monterey, CA
Dec. 8-11         GigNet                          San Jose, CA
Dec. 17-19        97 Int'l Sym. on Communications Hsinchu, Taiwan

TBA               TELECOM '97 Asia                TBA

1998
-----------
Jan 6-8           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jan.              RIPE29                          Amsterdam (tbd)
Jan 26-29         7th USENIX Security Symposium   San Antonio, TX
Feb. 8-13         ATM Forum                       Anaheim, CA
Feb 7-9           DCI'S Internet Expo             San Jose, CA
Mar. 2-3          USENIX New Network
                   Technologies Symposium         Salt Lake City, UT
Mar. 9-11         2nd Euromicro Working Conf. on
                   Soft. Maint. & Reeng.          Florence, Italy
Mar. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Irvine, CA
Mar. 11-13        Internet Society NDSS '98: Symposium on
                   Network & Distributed Sys. Security
                   Catamaran Resort Hotel         San Diego, CA
Mar. 16-18        APPN Implementers Workshop      Raleigh, NC
Mar. 29-Apr 2     IEEE INFOCOM '98 - Hotel Nikko  San Francisco, CA
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    41st IETF  (No Host)            Los Angeles, CA
Mar. 30-Apr. 3    NetWorld+Interop                Singapore
Apr. 3-4          IEEE "OPENARCH '98"             San Francisco, CA

Apr. 6-10         wmATM'98  1st Int'l Workshop on
                   Wireless Mobile ATM Implementation
                                                  Hangzhou, China
Apr. 12-17        WWW7                            Brisbane, Australia
Apr. 18-23        CHI '98 (ACM SIGCHI)            Los Angeles, CA
Apr. 19-24        ATM Forum                       Berlin, Germany
Apr 20-22         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
May               RIPE30                          Stockholm (tbd)
May 5-8           Networld+Interop '98            Las Vegas, NV
SPRING 1998       TELECOM '97 Africa              Midrand, South Africa
Jun. 7-11         ENCOM '98 in conjunction with
                   ICC/SuperComm '98              Atlanta, GA
Jun 13-17         USENIX '98 Technical Conf.      New Orleans, LA
Jun 16-18         DCI's Internet Expo             Chicago, IL
Jul. 6-10         IEEE 802 Plenary                San Diego, CA
Jul. 21-24        INET '98                        Geneva, Switzerland
Jul. 26-31        ATM Forum                       Portland, OR
Aug. 23-29        15th IFIP World. Com. Conf.     Vienna, Austria and
                                                   Budapest, Hungary
Aug. 24-28        42nd IETF                       Chicago, IL
Aug. 29-Sep 4     SIGCOMM '98                     Vancouver, CANADA
Sep 1-3           DCI's Internet Expo             Boston, MA
Oct. 4-9          ATM Forum                       Gold Coast, Australia
Oct 20-22         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Oct 21-23         Networld+Interop '98            Atlanta, GA
Oct. 26-29        TERENA (host by DFN)            Dresden, Germany
Nov. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Albuquerque, NM
Nov. 29-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Nashville, TN
Dec. 6-11         12th Systems Administration Conf.
                    (LISA '98)                    Boston, MA
Dec. 7-11         43rd IETF (Tentative)           TBD

1999
-----

Feb. 7-13         ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
Feb 23-25         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Apr. 18-24        ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
May 11-14         Networld+Interop '99            Las Vegas, NV
May 31-Jun 4      WWW8                            Toronto, CANADA
Jun 4-6           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jul. 18-24        ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
late Aug          SIGCOMM '99 (West Coast US)     TBA
Sep. 21-23         W3C Interest Group Mtg         TBA
Sep. 26-Oct 2     ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA
Oct. 8-14         TELECOM '99                     Geneva, Switzerland
Oct. 13-17        Networld+Interop '99            Atlanta, GA
Nov. 28-Dec 4     ATM Forum (tentative)           TBA

2000
-----

May 9-11        Networld+Interop '00              Las Vegas, NV
late Aug        SIGCOMM 2000                      Europe (tentative)
Sep 25-29       Networld+Interop '00              Atlanta, GA

The TERENA Calendar for October 1997 may be found on URL:

http://www.terena.nl/news/calendar.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+                                           +
+       TERENA Secretariat                  +
+       Singel 466-468                      +
+       1017 AW Amsterdam                   +
+       the Netherlands                     +
+                                           +
+       email <[email-masked]>       +
+                                           +
+         tel: +31 20 639 1131              +
+         fax: +31 20 639 3289              +
+                                           +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SOFTBANK FORUMS
---------------

SOFTBANK Forums
303 Vintage Park Drive
Foster City, CA  94404
(650) 578-6900
Fax: (650) 525-0194
http://www.sbforums.com

1998 Future Event Calendar

Business Conferences & Expositions

Seybold Seminars New York
Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
New York, NY
http://www.seyboldseminars.com
Customer Service
(888) 800-8922 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 372-7072 (International)
Conference:             Mar 16-20, 1998
Exposition:             Mar 17-19, 1998

Networld+Interop 98 Singapore
Singapore International Convention
and Exhibition Centre
Singapore
http://www.interop.com/events
Information
011 (65) 227 5755
Conference:             Mar 30-Apr 3, 1998
Exhibition:             Apr 1-3, 1998

Comdex Japan
Makuhari Messe
Tokyo, Japan
Information
011 (81) 3 5642 8433
Conference:             Apr 6-9, 1998
Exposition:             Apr 6-9, 1998

Support Services Conference & Expo 98
Washington DC Convention Center
Washington DC
http://www.sbforums.com/ssce
Customer Service
(800) 801-1354 (U.S. only)
(719) 531-5138 (International)
Housing
(800) 754-8378 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 378-6643 (International)
Conference:             Apr 20-22, 1998
Exposition:             Apr 19-22, 1998

Networld+Interop 98 Las Vegas
Las Vegas Convention Center
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.interop.com/events
Customer Service
(800) 944-4629 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 372-7090  (International)
Conference:             May 4-8, 1998
Exhibition:             May 5-7, 1998

Networld+Interop  98 Tokyo
Makuhari Messe
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.interop.com/events
Information
011 (81) 3 5642 8433
Conference:             June 1-5, 1998
Exhibition:             June 3-5, 1998

Learning Technology
Georgia World Congress Center
Atlanta, GA
http://interactive.sbforums.com
Registration (SOFTBANK Knowledge Interact)
(800) 909-9848 (U.S. only)
(719) 531-6522 (International)
Housing
(888) 611-2189 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 372-7084 (International)
Conference:             June 14-17, 1998
Exhibition:             June 14-17, 1998

Seybold San Francisco
Moscone Convention Center
San Francisco, CA
http://www.seyboldseminars.com
Customer Service
(888) 473-9265 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 372-7078 (International)
Conference:             Aug 31-Sept 4, 1998
Exposition:             Sept 1-3, 1998

Support Service Conference & Expo West
Moscone Convention Center
San Francisco, CA
http://www.sbforums.com/ssce
Registration (SOFTBANK Knowledge Interact)
(800) 801-1354 (U.S. only)
(719) 531-6522 (International)
Housing
(800) 754-8378 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 378-6643 (International)
Conference:             Sept 8-11, 1998
Exposition:             Sept 8-10, 1998

Windows NT Intranet Solutions
Moscone Convention Center
San Francisco, CA
http://www.wintis.com
Customer Service
(888) 800-8920 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 372-7071 (International)
Conference:             Sept 8-10, 1998
Exposition:             Sept 8-10, 1998

Networld+Interop 98 London
Earls Court 2
London, England
http://www.interop.com/events
Information
011 (44) 0181 261 4415
Conference:             Oct 13-15, 1998
Exhibition:

Networld+Interop 98 Atlanta
Georgia World Congress Center
Atlanta, GA
http://www.interop.com/events
Customer Service
(800) 962-6513 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 372-7079 (International)
Conference:             Oct 19-23, 1998
Exhibition:             Oct 21-23, 1998

Windows NT Intranet Solutions Japan
Makuhari Messe
Tokyo, Japan
Information
011 (81) 3 5642 8433
Conference:             Nov 4-6, 1998
Exhibition:             Nov 4-6, 1998

Networld+Interop 98 Paris
Porte de Versailles
Paris, France
http://www.interop.com/events
Information
011 (33) 1 46 39 5656
Conference:             Nov 4-6, 1998
Exhibition:

Networld+Interop 98 Sydney
Sydney Convention Center
Sydney, Australia
http://www.interop.com/events
Information
011 (61) 2 9369 1242
Conference:             TBA
Exposition:             Nov 23-27, 1998

Java Internet Business Expo *
Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
New York, NY
http://www.javaexpo.sbforums.com
Customer Service
(888) 528-2397 (U.S. & Canada)
(650) 372-7069 (International)
Conference:             Dec 7-10, 1998
Exposition:             Dec 8-10, 1998

Seybold Seminars Tokyo
Makuhari Messe
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.seyboldseminars.com
Information
011 (81) 3 5642 8433
Conference:             Dec 8-11, 1998
Exposition:             Dec 9-11, 1998

Strategic Networks Seminars

Strategic Networks offers one-day seminars for Interop Remote Access,
Interop NetSwitch, Interop WAN, and Interop Secure ManageNet
periodically throughout the year in various locations in the United
States.  For registration information, please call Strategic Networks
at 800-898-7488. For sponsor opportunities, please call Strategic
Networks at 800-999-7624.

Help Desk Institute Regional Seminar and Expo Series

Help Desk Institute offers several seminar series periodically
throughout the year in various locations across the United States.
For registration information, please call (800) 248-5667 or (719)
531-5138 .

Software Support Professionals Association (SSPA)

SSPA offers a variety of support programs throughout the year which
include executive forums, software support conferences, and monthly
on-line roundtable and executive sessions. For a description of the
events and for registration information, please call SSPA at (800)
801-1354 or (719) 531-6522.

SOFTBANK Knowledge Interact Seminars

SOFTBANK Knowledge Interact offers SkillTech Professional Seminars
periodically throughout the year in various locations throughout the
United States.  For a calendar of 1997 events and registration
information, please call SOFTBANK Knowledge Interact at 800-34-TRAIN.

All dates are subject to change
Revision date: 9/25/97
*Indicates an addition or correction