Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-sasl-plaintrans-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:57:14 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Plaintext Password SASL Mechanism for Transitioning
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-sasl-plaintrans-04.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 13-Nov-97
	
     Unencrypted plaintext passwords are the biggest single risk to
     Internet application protocol security.  Unfortunately, they are
     widely deployed, often tightly integrated into operating system
     services and very difficult to replace in an interoperable fashion.
 
     This specification discusses some methods which can be used to
     eliminate unencrypted plaintext passwords.  It also defines a SASL
     mechanism [SASL] which may be used by newer protocols such as ACAP
     [ACAP] to transition away from a legacy authentication database.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-sasl-plaintrans-04.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-newman-sasl-plaintrans-04.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-sasl-plaintrans-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.