Subject: New email list for discussion of GSMP

From: "avri doria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:22:29 -0500

A new email discussion list has been setup for discussing the Generalized
Switch Management Protocol (GSMP).

The creation of this list at this time is prompted by the recent
distribution of a new GSMP protocol specification:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-ipsilon-00.txt.

I have spoken to a few people and find that there is at least a mild level
of interest in looking at the GSMP protocol, both  as expressed in RFC1987
and  in the current I-D, as a candidate for the IETF standardization
process.  I contacted the AD of the Internet area about setting up a BOF,
and received the recommendation that first I should create a mail list to
gauge interest.  Hence, the list and this announcement.

I considered asking the Routing I-D for the BOF as I think that GSMP is an
excellent candidate for controlling a remote L2 switch in a LSR.  However,
since I thought a 'general'  GSMP was perhaps useful beyond MPLS, I decided
that the Internet area was more appropriate.  I would not be adverse,
however, to a BOF in the Routing area, or any other area for that matter,
if anyone else thought that was a better alternative.

As far as the list itself goes, in addition to techno-political discussions
on whether it is appropriate to have a BOF, the shape of a WG and charter
etc..., I am hoping we can discuss the recent draft.  I am especially
interested in discussing the protocol's utility for handling multicast
switching and the newly added TOS/QoS  capabilities.  I would also like to
discuss adding other features to the protocol.

Truth in advertising:  I care about GSMP not only because I like the
protocol and think it would be a valuable addition to the IETF protocol
collection.  I also care because I am involved in building a GSMP controlled
switch and would very much like for the GSMP protocol it uses to be a
standard - or at least in the process of being standardized.

Regards,

avri