Subject: The IANA MoUvement

From: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:47:39 -0600

On Monday, February 23, 1998 12:44 PM, William Allen Simpson[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
<snip>
@
@I recommend moving IANA out of the US as quickly as possible.
@
@We need to take nominations for its location.  Finland?  New Zealand?
@

You might be too late...

[1] @@@@@ http://info.internet.isi.edu/IAB/IABmins.971111

MINUTES FOR NOVEMBER 11, 1997 IAB TELECONFERENCE

PRESENT:
Steve Bellovin
Brian Carpenter
Jon Crowcroft
Steve Deering
Robert Elz
Erik Huizer
Cyndi Jung
John Klensin
Keith Moore
Robert Moskowitz
Radia Perlman
Jon Postel
Abel Weinrib

...

7. IAB charter revision
-------------------------------
Potential changes to IANA:
The US government is not going to be supporting the IANA after 1998.  Jon
Postel is putting together a proposal to create a new non-profit
organization to do the work, with a board of trustees, a salaried Executive
Director, etc.  Funding might be from corporations who will sit on an
advisory council.  IANA will form liaisons with other organizations
(registries, engineering orgs., etc.).  RFC Editor role is very tied in
with IANA role.  Proposal is to include RFC Editor job in IANA organization.
===============================

@@@@@@@@@

[2] @@@@ http://www.isoc.org/isoc/general/trustees/mtg13.html

6. Advisory Council Report

Stefano Trumpy reported to the Board on ISOC Advisory Council
Activities and outcomes from the Advisory Council Meeting held
on December 11, 1997.

As the voice of the organizational members of ISOC the ISOC
Advisory Council is expending effort to engage more directly in
the efforts of ISOC. The current areas of activity focus towards the
evolution of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) and
the gTLD activity, where effort will be undertaken to provide
Advisory Council members with timely updates of developments
in these areas.

@@@@@@@@@

[3] @@@@ http://www.isoc.org/isoc/general/trustees/mtg13.html

Resolution 97-27 INET'98 Bank Account

RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees authorizes the President
of ISOC to establish a Swiss Franc account and a U.S. dollar account,
as needed, with a Swiss bank...

@@@@@

[4] @@@@@@ http://www.isoc.org/isoc/general/trustees/mtg13.html

11.4 IANA report

The Board noted the report circulated by IANA concerning the potential
evolution of this body.

Jon Postel reported to the Board on these proposals, noting the existing
functions of IANA within the areas of IP address management, top level
domain name allocation, protocol parameter assignment, editing RFC
documents and managing the domain root zone. A model of incorporation
of IANA was described which included aspects of hierarchical organization
within these IANA functions and drawing on a general model of base level
participation as an instance of industry-based self-regulation, and input
from the Board was solicited. The relative level of current financial support
required to maintain each of these functions was noted.

The Board expressed its appreciation to Jon Postel for briefing the Board,
and adopted Resolutions 97-37 and 97-38 to continue the dialogue with IANA.

Resolution 97-37 IANA Evolution

RESOLVED, that the ISOC Executive Committee take an active role
in the evolution of the IANA proposals and inform the Board on progress
of this activity on a regular basis.
 
Resolution 97-38 IANA Briefing 

RESOLVED, that various IANA evolutionary models be presented
to the ISOC membership for discussion by the membership and for
note by the Board and IANA.

It was recorded as the sense of the Board that the Board would like
ISOC to be involved in the evolution of IANA, and to also express
that ISOC is specifically not interested in the control of top level domains.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
IBC, Tortola, BVI

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:17:38 -0500 (EST)

> as needed, with a Swiss bank...

INET '98 is the annual ISOC convention.  It's in Geneva, Switzerland, this
year.  See <http://www.isoc.org/inet98/>.  I would assume that when INET was
in Malaysia recently, ISOC opened a Malaysian checking account.  I can't see
why anyone would read any other significant into this. 

Donald
=====================================================================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 978-287-4877(tel)     [email-masked]
   318 Acton Street        +1 978-371-7148(fax)     [email-masked]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.privacy.org/ipc