Subject: Re: Future of IANA (and IETF)

From: Gunther Schadow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 22:11:50 +0100 (MET)

Hi, just my 0.2 Pfennig's oppinion (I am a German) ...

> We (especially those of us outside the US)
> should be arguing hard against that - we should be lobbying our governments
> to tell the US govt that US control of the internet is not acceptable, and
> that international control is required.

I would not care about US government of the internet, as long as it
would be the engineers who ruled it, not the commercialists or
capitalists. In a claim for international body BEWARE not to involve
the ISO or any such standards body! Keep that management lean, and
don't allow any civil government (whether US, Europe or UN) to make
any technical decisions. Let them do juridical things, let them set up
treaties that facilitate international use of the Internet, its all
fine. But I would be much more confident in a presbyocracy of Internet
architects like J. Postel or D. Crocker et al. even if supervised in
some way by the US Govt. rather than submitting it to such standards
bodies.

-Gunther

---

From: Andy Grosser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 16:33:45 -0500 (EST)

> Hi, just my 0.2 Pfennig's oppinion (I am a German) ...

Is that the exchange rate these days?  ;-)

> capitalists. 
> [...]

I concur: a nice idea, but let's not forget that it's largely the 
'commercialists and capitalists' who (for better or worse) run things 
in the US.  :-P

Andy

---
Andy Grosser
[email-masked]

"Education is... hanging around until you've caught on."
			- Robert Frost, 1963
---