Subject: Last Call: Requirements for Inter-operable Internet EDI to Experimental

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:51:05 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the Electronic Data
Interchange-Internet Integration Working Group to consider publication
of the following two documents as Experimental RFCs:

 o Requirements for Inter-operable Internet EDI
	<draft-ietf-ediint-req-04.txt>

 o MIME-based Secure EDI
	<draft-ietf-ediint-as1-05.txt>

The following IESG NOTE is to be inserted at publication:

NOTE: These documents were developed in the IETF standards process, and
      are destined for the IETF standards track. 

      However, given that we do not at present have a standards-track
      message security technology that we wish to see specified as
      mandatory-to-implement in Internet standards, we are issuing
      these documents as Experimental, so that experience can be gained
      with the protocols they describe in advance of standardization.
      The eventual standards-track version of these documents will
      include a mandatory-to-implement message security technology, so
      that interoperability between conforming implementations is
      assured.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by March 2, 1998.

Files can be obtained via
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ediint-req-04.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ediint-as1-05.txt