Subject: Re: Future of IANA

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:11:27 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> > Does this include the role of RFC editor?  Where does the IETF stand in
> > all this??
> 
> The RFC Editor function is separate from the IANA function today
> but happens to be carried out by the same institution (ISI). It will
> be the IAB's job to ensure that the RFC Editor function is funded
> in future.

You might want to make sure you secure that role now, especially if the
USG is currently funding the RFC Editor function.

I still think the IETF should be worried about this new organization still
controlling protocol assignments.  Is the IETF willing to relinquish its
controlling body (at least with respect to Internet protocols) to a new
-corporation-?

> 
>   Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)
> 
> 

--
Billy Biggs
Division 8 Networks
[email-masked]

---

From: Sascha Ignjatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 05:19:03 +0100 (MET)

> >   Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)

the technical standard making bodys could be the "next thing to privatize"
and placed in "trusted hands" of some companys

i dont see the reason why the us government/some parts of it are 
becomming the HIGHEST AUTORITY ON INTERNET ?

who give them this authority ?

THE MONEY ?

becouse we pay we rule !!??

the departement of commerce hase not established contacts to exsisting 
international internet organisations and respect them 

no one single word-except of iana was mentioned in the GP 

the existing internet community should be a strong partner and not 
a "nobody" to wich you have not to give any atention-altough they give 
them the basic seed of internet knowledge 

the internet is in fact a global matter and for this we should start to 
think to build up concepts for a global internet policy 

to "controling" the dns is not sufucient to "control" the internet

internet can be "controled" by global cooperation only !  

i ask again very humbly for a formation of a process at existing or new 
formed organisation wich dedicaites its self to the emergente chalenge of 
global internet policy and its resolving 

it would be the best that we have such effort hosted and moderated by the 
"best we have to offer" people and organisations 

thanks
sascha
ps.if we dont come up with some ideas the government could join up with 
some other governments to build up the "framework for a global internet 
policy" as already proposed by mr.bangeman of the EU-wich is not bad at 
all but posibly limites again the internet to inter/national interests 
rather than global 

i am shure the governmetns and politics would become valuable partners in 
the global internet as the science economie culture and work too
but the basic question is  who of this aspects should  be the 
"leading aspect" in the development of a planetar internet ?
or should there not be a meta level of where the best of al parts are 
asembled and be the leading development force 

this kind of metaorganisation is the internet itsself and the 
organisations who prefesionaly deals with internet with their hard and soul
in all his aspects