Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-snego-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 14:38:19 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Common Authentication Technology Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: The Simple and Protected GSS-API Negotiation Mechanism
	Author(s)	: D. Pinkas, E. Baize
	Filename	: draft-ietf-cat-snego-08.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 05-Mar-98
	
This draft document specifies a Security Negotiation Mechanism for the
Generic Security Service Application Program Interface (GSS-API) which
is described in [1].
 
The GSS-API provides a generic interface which can be layered atop
different security mechanisms such that if communicating peers acquire
GSS-API credentials for the same security mechanism, then a security
context may be established between them (subject to policy). However,
GSS-API doesn't prescribe the method by which GSS-API peers can
establish whether they have a common security mechanism.
 
The Simple and Protected GSS-API Negotiation Mechanism defined here
is a pseudo-security mechanism, represented by the object identifier
iso.org.dod.internet.security.mechanism.snego (1.3.6.1.5.5.2) which
enables GSS-API peers to determine in-band whether their credentials
share common GSS-API security mechanism(s), and if so, to invoke
normal security context establishment for a selected common security
mechanism. This is most useful for applications that are based on
GSS-API implementations which support multiple security mechanisms.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-cat-snego-08.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-snego-08.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-snego-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.