Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rivest-rc2desc-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:18:37 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Description of the RC2(r) Encryption Algorithm
	Author(s)	: R. Rivest
	Filename	: draft-rivest-rc2desc-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 29-Dec-97
	
This draft is an RSA Laboratories Technical Note. It is meant for
informational use by the Internet community.
 
This memo describes a conventional (secret-key) block encryption
algorithm, called RC2, which may be considered as a proposal for
a DES replacement. The input and output block sizes are 64 bits
each. The key size is variable, from one byte up to 128 bytes,
although the current implementation uses eight bytes.
 
The algorithm is designed to be easy to implement on 16-bit
microprocessors. On an IBM AT, the encryption runs about twice as fast
as DES (assuming that key expansion has been done).

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rivest-rc2desc-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-rivest-rc2desc-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rivest-rc2desc-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.