Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosen-mpls-lan-encaps-compar-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:21:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Comparison of MPLS LAN Encapsulation Proposals
	Author(s)	: K. McCloghrie, T. Li, E. Rosen, A. Fredette, M. Merhar
	Filename	: draft-rosen-mpls-lan-encaps-compar-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 18-Nov-97
	
   [1] describes how to encode an MPLS label stack as a ''shim'' between
   the data link and network layer headers of a labeled frame, but [1]
   does not require that this encoding be used to encode the top of the
   label stack on LAN media.  This document examines the alternative
   encapsulations that have been proposed for LANs.  One alternative is
   to use the shim as the MPLS encapsulation on LAN interfaces [2].
   Another alternative is to encode the top label in the MAC header,
   rather than in the shim [3].  We describe the implications of each
   approach.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosen-mpls-lan-encaps-compar-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-mpls-lan-encaps-compar-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosen-mpls-lan-encaps-compar-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.