Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-model-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:07:44 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics
	Author(s)	: P. Powell, T. Hasting, R. Herriot, S. Isaacson, R. deBry
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-model-07.txt
	Pages		: 144
	Date		: 10-Nov-97
	
         This document is one of a set of documents, which together describe
         all aspects of a new Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).  IPP is an
         application level protocol that can be used for distributed printing
         using Internet tools and technologies.  The protocol is heavily
         influenced by the printing model introduced in the Document Printing
         Application (DPA) [ISO10175] standard.  Although DPA specifies both
         end user and administrative features, IPP version 1.0 (IPP/1.0)
         focuses only on end user functionality.

         The full set of IPP documents includes:
 
           Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol [IPP-REQ]
           Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics (this document)
           Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol Specification [IPP-PRO]
           Rationale for the Structure and Model and Protocol for the Internet
           Printing Protocol [IPP-RAT]

         The requirements document, ''Requirements for an Internet Printing
         Protocol'', takes a broad look at distributed printing functionality,
         and it enumerates real-life scenarios that help to clarify the
         features that need to be included in a printing protocol for the
         Internet.  It identifies requirements for three types of users: end
         users, operators, and administrators.  The requirements document calls
         out a subset of end user requirements that MUST be satisfied in
         IPP/1.0.  Operator and administrator requirements are out of scope for
         version 1.0. This document, ''Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and
         Semantics'', describes a simplified model with abstract objects, their
         attributes, and their operations.  The model introduces a Printer and
         a Job.  The Job supports multiple documents per Job.  The model
         document also addresses how security, internationalization, and
         directory issues are addressed.  The protocol specification, ''
         Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol Specification'', is a formal
         mapping of the abstract operations and attributes defined in the model
         document onto HTTP/1.1.  The protocol specification defines the
         encoding rules for a new Internet media type called ''application/ipp''.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipp-model-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-model-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-model-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.