Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-srch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:45:56 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the NNTP Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: NNTP Full-text Search Extension
	Author(s)	: S. Waters, B. Hernacki, N. Ballou
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nntpext-srch-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 16-Jan-98
	
     This document describes a set of enhancements to the Network News
     Transport Protocol [NNTP-977] that allows full-text searching of
     news articles in multiple newsgroups.  The proposed SEARCH command
     supports functionality similar to the [IMAP4] SEARCH command,
     minus user specific search keys (i.e., ANSWERED, DRAFT, FLAGGED,
     KEYWORD, NEW, OLD, RECENT, SEEN) and minus search keys based on
     headers that do not exist in news (i.e., CC, BCC, TO).
 
     The availability of the extensions described here will be
     advertised by the server using the extension negotiation-mechanism
     described in the new NNTP protocol specification currently being
     developed [NNTP-NEW].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nntpext-srch-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-srch-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-srch-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.