Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-calsyn-rvp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 10:04:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Rendezvous Protocol
	Author(s)	: M. Calsyn
	Filename	: draft-calsyn-rvp-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 26-Nov-97
	
          A  new  kind of application is emerging on the Internet, driven
          by the desire of individuals to know instantly whether another
          individual is online,  to be notified when another individual
          arrives online, and to send messages in `real time'.  These are
          all special cases of the more general problem of Internet-wide
          notification.
 
          This protocol for facilitating rendezvous between users, known
          herein as the Rendez-Vous Protocol (RVP), is  designed  to enable
          such notifications and messages across a loosely coupled
          (federated) constellation of servers.  RVP is designed to address
          the need for notification in a secure, reliable and scaleable
          fashion.  RVP encompasses the client-server and server-server
          interactions.
 
          The authors recognize that there is significant overlap with
          between RVP and HTTP, though there are also significant
          differences.  We expect this draft to evolve and either converge
          or diverge with HTTP and/or other existing protocols.  The
          protocol described in this document represents a very viable
          starting point for a discussion of a standardized solution to the
          problem.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-calsyn-rvp-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-calsyn-rvp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-calsyn-rvp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.