Subject: Re: [ifwp] regarding potential new IANA initial board members

From: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:12:47 -0400

so  jon postel has spoken.......

I have one very simple question.......  who is going to take the time to
educate these august folk?  To say they can make meaningful policy without
*SOME* knowledge is absurd.

what we have is a recipe to leave the IANA technical staff and ISOC in full
control.  Yes by all means t hey should control the implimentation of the
bits....[a la vixie and malamud's complaint] but someone who understands
the politics and econmics and commerce has to control the technical folk
from the board.  When jon puts forth criteria that would exclude someone
like einar stefferud who was one of the builders of the internet, is a
senior retired individual, is perhaps the best diplomat in the internet and
has devoted huge amounts of time over the past year to help craft a process
that would preserve the integrity and independence of the net from special
interests, the process is totally broken.

Ray Smith CEO of bell Atlantic, is a name given to me by an insider as a
for example.  I would hope to hell not.  We don't need a board of RBOC, or
IXC, or  executives from the GIP member companies.  Jon's criteria do leave
open room for  senior executives from the telecom industry to wreak havoc.
That should not be allowed.

I understand the reasoning behind jon's description.  The unanswered
question is that,  under those conditions, how is a non knowledgable board
educated such that the board comes to serve as anything other than a puppet
role for the wishes of the IANA CTO and CEO?  Of  course one additional
small problem is that we have as yet no nomination for IANA CEO....anyone
notice that?
BTW, to paul garrin as someone for whom i have yet to have an approving
word.  I would support Joichi Ito whom I first got to know and respect back
in 1986-87. But joey is too young and too internet knowledgable to met
postel's criteria..... oh yeah he has also never run a billion dollar
company.... too bad joey.  you're out of luck.  Tells you something about
how badly screwed this process is.

>Mr Postel,
>
>It would be of great interest to the entire internet community
>to see the current list of candidates for the board of the new
>corporation that has come as a result of your behind closed
>doors activities.
>
>Please post the list of your candidates and their qualifications.
>
>In response to your call for top quality suggestions from the
>"rest of the world" I respectfully submit the following nomination:
>
>Nomination: JOICHI ITO <[email-masked]>
>
>Joichi Ito from Japan has not been involved in the DNS wars
>at all, although he has been quietly following it all along.
>He is highly qualified in many aspects of internet technology,
>security and business and is a supreme choice for the Board.
>(and an incredibly thoughtful and nice person as well!).
>
>http://domino.garage.co.jp/jito/joihome.nsf/webpages/bio
>
>Some of his positions and experience:
>
>  board member of PSINet Japan, Inc. (http://www.jp.psi.net/);
>
>  board member of the Japanese Ministry of Posts and Telecom
>  study group on E-Money;
>
>  board member of the Japanese National Police Agency study groups
>  on Network Security Vision and Unauthorized Access Countermeasures;
>
>  board member of the Foundation for Global Education and
>  Communication (Japan).
>
>  board member of Energy
>  Conversion Devices Inc. (NASDAQ:ENER http://www.ovonic.com/);
>
>  Current positions include: founder and president of Digital Garage
>  (http://www.garage.co.jp/) an Internet advertising, event production,
>  creative design and electronic commerce company which (among other
>  things) represents and operates in Japan, @Tower.jp
>  (http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/); Infoseek (http://www.infoseek.co.jp/),
>  and Sonicnet Japan (http://www.sonicnet.co.jp/);
>
>
>Mr. Ito is willing to accept the nomination to the Board.
>
>
>--Paul Garrin
>
***************************************************************************
The COOK Report on Internet            New Special Report: Building Internet
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA  Infrastructure ($395) available. See
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)           http://www.cookreport.com/building.html
[email-masked]                    Index to 6 years of COOK Report, how to
subscribe, exec summaries, special reports, gloss at http://www.cookreport.com
***************************************************************************

---

From: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:12:47 -0400

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:48:37 -0500

> senior retired individual, is perhaps the best diplomat in the internet and

Einar's not a bad guy, but if he's "the best diplomat in the
internet" then Gordon Cook is the best journalist.

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:48:37 -0500