Subject: RE: we need a new mailing list

From: "Flanigan, Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:10:37 -0400

I feel it's not so much a question of "(w)hat it would take to create such a
mailing list" as it would be to keep it on target--charter or no charter.
How do you folks envision that this could/would be done?  Bozo filters?
List moderator?  Periodic purges?  A progression of lists each with a life
of, say, six months?  Or...?

Bill

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
William F. Flanigan, Jr., Ph.D.       Voice:           (703) 681-2318
Defense Information Systems Agency      Fax:           (703) 681-2814 
Information Assurance Office (JED)      DSN:                      761      
5600 Columbia Pike, Room 632     Voice Mail:           (703) 681-2318   
Falls Church, VA 22041-2717        Internet:  <[email-masked]>
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% 

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Marc Horowitz [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, September 28, 1998 11:21 PM
> To:	Harald Tveit Alvestrand
> Cc:	Sascha Ignjatovic; [email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: we need a new mailing list
> 
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> >On 27 Sep 1998 [email-masked] wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> I would like to see a new mailing list, [email-masked],
> whose
> >> >> charter is restricted to technical issues and discussion.  
> >> > 
> >> >> What would it take to create such a mailing list?
> 
	[snip]

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Sep 1998 19:28:13 -0400

"Flanigan, Bill" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I feel it's not so much a question of "(w)hat it would take to
>> create such a mailing list" as it would be to keep it on
>> target--charter or no charter.  How do you folks envision that this
>> could/would be done?  Bozo filters?  List moderator?  Periodic
>> purges?  A progression of lists each with a life of, say, six
>> months?  Or...?

Well, the first problem as I see it is that [email-masked] has no
useful charter.  Once we have a list with a useful charter, then we
can see what happens.

If someone showed up at a physical meeting and kept making comments
which weren't on-topic for the meeting, I assume that eventually, that
person would be removed.  As practically anything internet-related is
on-topic for [email-masked], either we need to change the charter of
the list (hard), or create a new list (easier).  I'm personally not
against filters for people who post off-topic on the new list.

		Marc

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Sep 1998 19:28:13 -0400

Marc

---

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

Bill wrote:
> target-- charter or no charter. How do you folks envision 
> that this could/would be done?  Bozo filters? List 
> moderator? Periodic purges?  A progression of lists
> each with a life of, say, six months?  Or...?

 How about calling it "ietf-pithed"?

 Bob Allisat

 Free Community Network . [email-masked] . http://fcn.net

---

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

Bob Allisat