Subject: Fw: IAB actions concerning the IANA

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:36:28 -0500

Sascha,

Despite what Fred Baker claims, the IAB and IETF will
be getting more involved in these decisions. You can
probably direct the traffic to the POISSON Working Group.
Hopefully, the IFWP people will join that group.

@@@ http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/wg-dir.html
General Area
Area Director(s): 
Fred Baker <[email-masked]> 
Working Groups: 
Process for Organization of Internet StandardS ONg (poisson) 
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/poisson-charter.html
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
0:201 .COM

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce:; <IETF-Announce:;>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 1998 2:53 PM
Subject: IAB actions concerning the IANA

>
>On September 4, 1998 the IAB issued a statement in general support
>of the third published draft by laws for the "new IANA" corporation.
>The IAB has briefly reviewed the fifth draft published on September
>28, and finds it to be broadly compatible with the third draft. 
>However, since all the issues surrounding the new corporation have not
>yet been fully resolved, the IAB has decided under the terms of
>RFC 1601 to prolong for three months the current designation of the 
>team under Jon Postel at ISI as the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.
>We will work on an interim agreement with the IANA to define the
>specifics of this.
>
>Meanwhile the IAB will work with the IESG and the ISOC to prepare a
>proposal for the Protocol Supporting Organization likely to be required 
>by the new corporation. We will also work on a proposal for open
>procedures for the IETF appointments to this Organization and to the
>Board of the proposed new IANA corporation. Finally we will work on a
>proposal for a memorandum of understanding, or equivalent, between the
>IETF and the IANA. IETF consensus will be sought for these proposals, 
>most likely via the IETF process working group (the POISSON WG).
>
>    Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)
>    September 30, 1998
>
>

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:36:28 -0500

Sascha,

Jim Fleming