Subject: Updating boilerplate on Official Internet Standards (STD 1)

From: Dan Kohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 20:06:50 -0700

Is there work underway to update the "boilerplate" text of STD 1
(currently, RFC 2400) to remove some of the obsolete references?  I
notice that the definitive statement of Internet standards has been
correctly updated from RFC 1602 to RFC 2026.  However, the same
paragraph references RFC 1160 to describe the IAB, IETF, and IESG when
the definition of those organizations has of course changed
significantly with BCP 11, RFC 2028.

There are many similar anachronisms (my personal favorite, regarding
TP-TCP: "As OSI protocols become more widely implemented and used, there
will be an increasing need to support interoperation with the TCP/IP
protocols.")  Additionally, it would seem worthwhile to list the BCPs
and FYIs at the same time as the other kinds of RFCs.  Would it make
sense to have an informal working group (i.e., a mailing list) propose
some replacement text to the RFC Editor?

On a related topic, are there any plans to update STD 2, RFC 1700,
Assigned Numbers?  There have clearly been a lot of new parameters
published in the last 4 years, perhaps enough to warrant replacing STD 2
for good with a document that explains that the registry should now be
consulted directly at <http://www.iana.org/numbers.html> and
<ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments>.

		- dan
--
Daniel Kohn <[email-masked]>
Teledesic LLC
+1-425-602-6222 (voice)   602-0002 (fax)
http://www.teledesic.com