Subject: One Address Space at a Time...

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:00:37 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Marsh, Miles (Gene) <[email-masked]>
To: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, September 28, 1998 3:19 PM
Subject: RE: regarding potential new IANA initial board members

>Bob,
>
>Exactly.  Unfortunately, many people look for a label to put on any
approach
>taken.  I use "democracy", as several others have, to imply an openness to
>assess a wide variety of views, opinions and ideas.  Sounds better than "an
>open, solicitous, structured bureaucratic oligarchy", which is in fact what
>it will end up being by pure definition.
>

It might help you put things in proper perspective if you look at the
following list. As you will note, the IPv4 address space is 0:0 and
the .ARPA TLD is the key to that kingdom. IN-ADDR.ARPA is also
key to controlling that space. Jon Postel and Vinton Cerf apparently
attended the same high school and have a long history of controlling
0:0. I think that it is clear that no one is going to convince them to give
up control of those resources. That appears to be between them, the
U.S. Government and the rest of the world, including http://www.gip.org.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

0:0  ARPA
    1. Jon Postel
    2. Vinton Cerf
0:1  NET
    1. Richard Sexton
    2. Tim Gibson
...

Other people, like Richard Sexton and Tim Gibson have decided to
help move forward and expand the Internet. They will be helping to
develop the 0:1 address space which is as large as the existing 0:0
address space. That space has the .NET "label" or "tribal name".
The IN-ADDR.S1.G0 zone can be used for reverse resolution. This
helps to distribute the load on the DNS. I am not sure if Richard and
Tim went to high school together but I have a feeling that they can
manage the 0:1 address space as well as Jon Postel and Vinton
Cerf. Only time will tell.

I hope that other people step forward to help manage the growing
Internet. There is now plenty of room in the IPv8 address space.
The IPv6 protocol can be used for transport. The 0:1 IPv8 address
space fits neatly inside ::8001:x.x.x.x, for legacy addresses. I am sure
that Richard and Tim will manage it well, and will develop new and
innovative approaches never before allowed on the 0:0 legacy Internet.

We can now have thousands of Internet clones. Getting past the first
couple of address spaces beyond 0:0 seems to be the hardest step.
Hopefully, Richard, Tim and others will show the way. Maybe we can
discuss this more in December in Orlando, Florida ? In the interim,
we have thousands more address spaces to add...one by one...if you
have a TLD, you have a full 32-bit address space to use, free of charge.
It is time to move forward and expand the potential...

http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-43.html

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
0:201 .COM

---

From: Eric Germann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:46:09 -0400

Hey Jim,

Run out of prozac again.  Your phony assertion that control of ARPA
connotates control of routing springs yet again.  IN-ADDR.ARPA (the PROPER
reverse delegation zone, not ARPA) is the most lamely delegated DNS zones,
yet we on the the "legacy" Internet continue to happily route packets of
real traffic, not IPv8 drivel.  Ever going to get around to publishing
coherent standards for IPv8 and submitting them to the IETF for
consideration, or will the fog burn off in the light?  Given that you have
never been allocated v8 of the IP protocol, you are again pandering snake oil.

t - 2 days and counting till unety.net migrates to the next IPv8 stargate.
Must be another comet coming for Jim to beam in to.  What a wonderful world
it would be.

For an entertaining look at Mr. Flemings statements exhibiting varying
degrees of lucidity and the accompanying refutations from a number of real
network operators, I invite you to
http://answerpointe.cctec.com/query/fleming.asp

Read it, ponder it, and judge Jim, et.al's credibility.

Fred, may we have a reminder to remove politics from the IETF list yet again?

Get the facts before you believe the vocal minority about substantive
technical issues.

Eric

>Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com

==========================================================================
  Eric Germann                                        CCTec
  [email-masked]                                 Van Wert, OH 45891
  http://www.cctec.com                                Ph: 419 968 2640
                                                      Fax: 419 968 2641
         Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services 
                     A Microsoft Solution Provider

---

From: Eric Germann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:46:09 -0400

Hey Jim,

Eric