Subject: we need a new mailing list

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Sep 1998 20:26:29 -0400

I would like to see a new mailing list, [email-masked], whose
charter is restricted to technical issues and discussion.  

What would it take to create such a mailing list?

I'd like to leave the [email-masked] list in place for other traffic.

		Marc

---

From: Sascha Ignjatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:41:20 +0200 (MET DST)

> What would it take to create such a mailing list?

or what or whom would take to create a serious list where 
scientifical political economical and social aspects of the internet 
can be discussed ?

 > I'd like to leave the [email-masked] list in place for other traffic.

and/or let the ietf list again to technical purporses as it was ment to be

i have asked several times on the ietf list to help creating such list but
it was not his job altough on the ietf list are many senior and
knowledgable internet people who represent many importend organisations
who could 

than i went to isoc and i still hope that isoc can invent and host such 
global internet isues discussion list/s
-i know only discussion is not inaf and there muss be also some 
 realisation/inforcement mechanisms/infrastructure too 
 
at least isoc is from its charter good suited for such tasks as it 
proposes dealing with internet in its entayerity and all its aspects 

there is a lack and need for such global infrastructure 

people are going to the ietf list for discussion and expression of
thougts and ideas becouse there is no other global forum to do this !
and where you can find already many internet proffesionals on it 

shure the danger ist that some "same people" may "take over" the list and
shay away others and prohibite serious participations and discussions 
from the begining 

this should be considered cearfully - wich would not be a problem if all
of us hase a "common sense selfcontrol mechanism" working well :-)

> 		Marc

thanks
sascha

---

From: Sascha Ignjatovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:41:20 +0200 (MET DST)

thanks
sascha

---

From: Vishal Dutta MCP 1/2 MCSE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:28:13 -0400 (EDT)

thank you... I was thinking the same thing

Vishal Dutta-MCP
 1/2 MCSE

---

From: Vishal Dutta MCP 1/2 MCSE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:28:13 -0400 (EDT)

Vishal Dutta-MCP
 1/2 MCSE

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:09:17 +0200

>scientifical political economical and social aspects of the internet 

Seriously, if you want another mailing list, CREATE ONE.
There are 2 main reasons for having open discussion lists:

- To get discussion done
- To fulfil some procedural purpose

The IETF list has a procedural purpose, and also hosts discussions.
What it is is what it is.

If you want a list for getting discussions done, nothing stops you.
If you want a list that has the "blessing of the Powers On High" (whoever
those might be), and is run on other people's hardware and software,
appropriate genuflections to those powers might be the Right Thing.

New lists with a procedural purpose have to be approached through the
IETF rule-setting process, currently the POISSON working group.
Other lists are better hosted by people who care, elsewhere.

               Harald A

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:09:17 +0200

- To get discussion done

               Harald A

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Sep 1998 23:20:58 -0400

>> appropriate genuflections to those powers might be the Right Thing.

This is what I want, and this is why I asked "what would it take"?  I
assume I need to genuflect to the IESG, and I intend to send Fred mail
if no better suggestion gets made.

>> Other lists are better hosted by people who care, elsewhere.

RFC2026 mentions only the IETF Announce mailing list.  Of course,
last-calls sent there do refer to the [email-masked] list.  Since this
latter list isn't part of any standards-track document I can find (I
admit to not having read the POISSON wg minutes), I think that it
would be reasonable to start using another list for this purpose after
giving people a month or two of notice. 

		Marc

---

From: Marc Horowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Sep 1998 23:20:58 -0400

Marc