Subject: *** NOMINATION ***

From: "Marsh, Miles (Gene)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:02:46 -0400

I would like to nominate Mr. Tom Cappelli, Director of Services Marketing,
Diebold Incorporated.  Mr Cappelli has held several positions in the
industry, including with Wang and Data General.  He has the level of
experience and forward thinking this group needs to succeed.  He has not
been involved in any of the previous groups.

Mr. Cappelli would bring the energy and passion needed, with an open mind to
new ways of thinking.

Respectfully,

Gene Marsh
Diebold Incorporated
(330) 498-2670

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Postel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 1998 1:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: regarding potential new IANA initial board members

Hello.

There has been some discussion of candidates for the initial board for
the new IANA organization.  While the current suggestions being
circulated are appreciated, i don't think they provide the kind of
board that would be most desireable.

A key responsibility of the new IANA board is to see that policies and
procedures are developed in a fair and open manner, not to rehash all
the arguments and positions that go into developing those policies and
procedures.

Many of the current suggestions are people with strongly held views
about what the answers should be.  These people should be involved in
developing the policies and procedures in the various supporting
organizations and councils, particularly the domain names council.

We have been talking all along about finding people with senior
executive experience, to sit on a "blue ribbon" board, people who have
been "above the fray", and are "open minded on the issues".

The kind of people that make more sense to me for the board are
university presidents, retired CEOs of major corporations, well known
public interest advocates, or retired diplomats.  And remember, that of
the 9 initial board members at most 4 can be from north america, so
more top quality suggestions from the rest of the world are needed.

--jon.