Subject: RE: regarding potential new IANA initial board members

From: "Marsh, Miles (Gene)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:42:33 -0400

Bob,

Exactly.  Unfortunately, many people look for a label to put on any approach
taken.  I use "democracy", as several others have, to imply an openness to
assess a wide variety of views, opinions and ideas.  Sounds better than "an
open, solicitous, structured bureaucratic oligarchy", which is in fact what
it will end up being by pure definition.

Perception being 90% of the reality most people hold, I would lean more
toward the use of "democracy" than many others.

Gene Marsh
Diebold Incorporated

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stewart [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 28, 1998 10:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: regarding potential new IANA initial board members

At 10:37 AM 9/28/98 -0400, Marsh, Miles (Gene) wrote:
>Any new governing structure must be open to the opinions and views of all,
>including the great masses which, while technically immature, represent the
>greatest growth potential for the Internet.

We agree.  A good leader must solicit and consider a broad range of input,
then make a decision based not on noise level or polls but on a broad view
and sound principles.

>I believe this is EXACTLY the time to invoke "democracy", but in a fashion
>which provides the opportunity for the Internet "community" members to
>contribute in manners consistent with their knowledge and experiences.

When I hear "democracy" I hear the foolish concept that all opinions are of
equal value and that the sum of ignorance is better than ignorance standing
alone.  I believe what both of us are really talking about is simply good
leaders who listen and consider all points of view.

	Bob

---

From: Einar Stefferud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:52:52 -0700

Actually, in this "international" discusion, it is terribly important
to avoid the "Alice In Wonderland Effect" where "A word means whatever
I say it means" regardless of what it means to others.  Too many
people in the discussion already have to strain to understand what we
say when we are being careful to say what we mean, and mean what we
say.

What we need is clarity of meaning, not imprecise use of language.

I disagree that the process should be democratic in the normal meaning
of "democratic", but I do demand the the processes be open and fair to
all stakeholders.  And, you should note well, that being "closed"
offers no hope of convincing the masses of stakeholders that they or
their issues are being fairly treated.  But, being oepn to public
scrutiny does offer such hope.

Therefore I object to using the term "democratic" in some special
meaning which has never been carefully defined in this discussion
before now.  And I obejct to injecting it now with new and different
meaning.  That way there be dragons!

Cheers...\Stef

From Miles's message Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:42:33 -0400:
}
}Bob,
}
}Exactly.  Unfortunately, many people look for a label to put on any approach
}taken.  I use "democracy", as several others have, to imply an openness to
}assess a wide variety of views, opinions and ideas.  Sounds better than "an
}open, solicitous, structured bureaucratic oligarchy", which is in fact what
}it will end up being by pure definition.
}
}Perception being 90% of the reality most people hold, I would lean more
}toward the use of "democracy" than many others.
}
}Gene Marsh
}Diebold Incorporated
}
}-----Original Message-----
}From: Bob Stewart [mailto:[email-masked]]
}Sent: Monday, September 28, 1998 10:50 AM
}To: [email-masked]
}Subject: RE: regarding potential new IANA initial board members
}
}
}At 10:37 AM 9/28/98 -0400, Marsh, Miles (Gene) wrote:
}>Any new governing structure must be open to the opinions and views of all,
}>including the great masses which, while technically immature, represent the
}>greatest growth potential for the Internet.
}
}We agree.  A good leader must solicit and consider a broad range of input,
}then make a decision based not on noise level or polls but on a broad view
}and sound principles.
}
}>I believe this is EXACTLY the time to invoke "democracy", but in a fashion
}>which provides the opportunity for the Internet "community" members to
}>contribute in manners consistent with their knowledge and experiences.
}
}When I hear "democracy" I hear the foolish concept that all opinions are of
}equal value and that the sum of ignorance is better than ignorance standing
}alone.  I believe what both of us are really talking about is simply good
}leaders who listen and consider all points of view.
}
}	Bob
}

---

From: Einar Stefferud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:52:52 -0700

Cheers...\Stef