Subject: RE: regarding potential new IANA initial board members

From: "Marsh, Miles (Gene)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:49:23 -0400

Karl,

While I agree with your "open approach", I smell danger.  Any "electoral
college" type system would have to be VERY CAREFULLY  engineered.  The
process by which individuals would be selected would have to be truly open.
This brings us back to the core of the issue, which is appropriate, fair and
equitable representation by all interested INDIVIDUALS.  I'm still coming to
grips with the best way to accomplish that.  It's certainly not a simple
issue.

Gene Marsh
Diebold Incorporated

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Auerbach [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 1998 9:37 PM
To: Michael Ridley
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: regarding potential new IANA initial board members

> > The word of the day is "inclusion".

By-the-way, it was an oversight, I also think all members of ISOC should
be included in the initial membership.

> Sounds good to me, but, how do we weigh votes?  Do I get the same vote
> as the CEO of AT&T?  Is it a generic representative democracy type 
> community, or is there some electoral college?

Yes, your vote would have the same weight as that of the CEO of AT&T. Your
vote would count as much as mine.  Why shouldn't it?

People should gain influence through the intercourse of ideas and reasoned
debate and persuasion, not through mere position.  What matters is how
many people you can convince to follow your ideas.

(It should not be discounted that people in large entities have
significant means by which to persuade people to the merits of their
ideas.  We need not add to that advantage by giving those same people a
built-in additional voting power.)

Regarding an electorial college type system, which I interpret as having a
body of representatives who we elect, who in turn do the final election
for the members of the Initial Board: 

I'm easy, I'd go with either approach long as the body of representatives
was sufficiently large so that there could be a reasonable diversity of
points of view regarding who would be selected for the Initial Board.

		--karl--

---

From: Karl Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:15:58 -0700 (PDT)

We probably ought to take this off the IETF list and into a more private
discussion (unless people want their mailboxes filled with these things.
;-)

> grips with the best way to accomplish that.  It's certainly not a simple

Any process has danger, no system is immune to abuse and manipulation.

As a consequence, I personally believe that we have to start with a
baseline that as a fundamental premise permits everyone to participate
rather than to say that such is impossible and blindly establish what we
hope will be a benign and enlightened oligarchy.

At that, let's take the continued discussion of this off the IETF list...

		--karl--

---

From: Karl Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:15:58 -0700 (PDT)

--karl--