Subject: Well Actually the Big 3 & 1/2

From: Thomas Dineen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:41:48 -0700 (PDT)

Jim:

>Leland Stanford, Collis P. Huntington, Charles Crocker
>and Mark Hopkins were the "Big Four"

   Actually if you study the capitol structure you will discover
that the newly rich Mr. Crocker was brought into the venture in
the latter half of the project and only received a one half share.

   Thus becoming the big three and one half!
   
Thomas Dineen

Fred,

The IETF has the potential to bring Leland Stanford's
vision to reality. It might be useful for the IAB and IETF
leaders to study that vision...here are some notes from
another forum...

>
>
>Most of the Internet's resources are controlled by a few people.
>I will continue to draw comparisons to the Big Four. It is interesting
>to study Leland Stanford's solution. He had a vision which advocated
>that workers can work for themselves which prevents the concentration
>of wealth and power which comes from controlling the workers.
>The Internet is an excellent vehicle to test Stanford's visions. It is
>interesting that people who control the resources on the Internet
>spend a lot of time trying to control the human resources via
>working groups, lists, etc. When people think for themselves,
>they are chastised.
>
>
>http://www.csrmf.org/big_four.html
>@@@@@ http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist1/rail.html
>Leland Stanford, Collis P. Huntington, Charles Crocker
>and Mark Hopkins were the "Big Four"
>@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>
>
>@@@@ http://montana.mhpcc.edu/~altenber/PAPERS/BCLSFV/
>
>"Stanford's own words can serve to introduce the basic ideas of the
>cooperative movement. In Hubert H. Bancroft's biography of Stanford,
>we read Stanford's explanation for the basic problem of the capitalist
>economy:
>
>In a condition of society and under an industrial organization which places
>labor completely at the mercy of capital, the accumulations of capital
>will necessarily be rapid, and an unequal distribution of wealth is at
>once to be observed. This tendency would be carried to the utmost
>extreme, until eventually the largest accumulations of capital would not
>only subordinate labor but would override smaller aggregations.
>
>Stanford then describes his prescription for halting this monopolization
>of capital:
>
>The one remedy for this tendency, which to all appearances has been
>ineradicable from the industrial system, is the cooperation and intelligent
>direction of labor.
>
>What I believe is, the time has come when the laboring men can perform
>for themselves the office of becoming their own employers; that the
>employer class is less indispensable in the modern organization of
>industries because the laboring men themselves possess sufficient
>intelligence to organize into co-operative relation and enjoy the entire
>benefits of their own labor.
>
>With a greater intelligence, and with a better understanding of the
>principles of cooperation, the adoption of them in practice will, in
>time I imagine, cause most of the industries of the country to be
>carried on by these cooperative associations."
>
>@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>
>
>
>Jim Fleming
>Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
>End-2-End: VPC(Java)---C+@---<IPv8>---C+@---(Java)VPC
>http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
>http://www.ddj.com/index/author/idx10133.htm
>