Subject: Re: ITU and IETF - Copyrights

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:31:20 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, September 21, 1998 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: ITU and IETF - Copyrights

>    From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
>
>    Will people be able to select the ITU or ISOC as the Copyright owner?
>
>As has been explained to you and others a zillion times: for all IETF
>submissions, the copyright on the basic document is *not* given to
*anyone*;
>it *remains* the property of the *original author*.
>
>ISOC does have *part* ownership of the intellectual property rights
>(copyright) on the document in its final IETF standard form (since it's a
>"derivative work"); that's *part* of the reason there's an ISOC copyright
>notice on RFC's.
>

I think people understand that. The question was whether
people will have a choice. What happens if a company
decides to work with the ITU first with knowledge that their
work will then obtain an RSP* from the IETF ? Is that going
to be the process ?

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com

* RSP - Rubber Stamped Protocol

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:20:38 -0400

> work will then obtain an RSP* from the IETF ? Is that going

Market Share.  Time To Ship.  Working Code versus Lots of Meetings.

I's sure that if a company ever emerges that wants to go the ITU route
*first*, and it still produces a usable product/protocol when the process
is completed, the IETF will be willing to look at a draft RFC.

Just Like Anything Else.

C'mon Jim.  Go read RFC804, RFC892, RFC905, RFC926, RFC941, RFC982,
RFC983, RFC986, RFC994, RFC995, RFC1006-1008, RFC1070, RFC1085-1087,
RFC1142, RFC1161, and a flock of others (I'm too tired to keep
searching).  We understand how to do this.

RFC1606 is also most enlightening.

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:20:38 -0400

Just Like Anything Else.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:23:50 -0700

>work will then obtain an RSP* from the IETF ? Is that going

Three comments:

(1) getting the IETF to rubber stamp a protocol is quite a process.
    I'd suggest you try it sometime to see what happens.
(2) There is no requirement for anybody to publish anything as an RFC.
    If they choose to do that, according to the result of the POISED
    process, the process which the community designed to manage itself,
    that "derivative works" assignment applies to all RFCs, and submission
    of a document for publication implies consent.
(3) Further discussion of this belongs in the POISED process.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:23:50 -0700

Three comments: