Subject: ARINSIANA

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:16:43 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
<snip>
>
>What remains really quite puzzling is why a reporter who is ostensibly
>concerned with abuses of the public is so energetic in defending a monopoly
>that has a US government-provided captive, large revenue stream and which
>has so far succeeded in avoiding the experience of serious competition.
>

Dave,

One of the main reasons that NSI has "avoided" competition is
because Jon Postel (aka IANA) has not followed through with the
actions that you and others have claimed he would make. Jon Postel
and Don Heath signed legal documents and assisted others in making
promises to the 80+ CORE Registrars that have invested at least
$10,000 and probably much more with no hope of recovering their
investment. That is close to a million dollars. We are not talking about
$1,000 from Chris Ambler passed to Bill Manning in an envelope
here. Those financial transactions are well documented.

Jon Postel appointed you to the IAHC. Do you remember that ? When
Jon Postel reviewed the history of all of these matters at the Chicago
IETF meeting, he did not mention the IAHC or CORE. Why was that ?
How can those companies be forgotten at this point ?

During the IAHC and all of these debates for the past few years, you
have consistently tried to ignore some of the facts:

    1. Jon Postel and Joyce Reynolds were listed as subcontractors
    for NSI on the proposal that "won" NSI the InterNIC contract 5 years
    ago.

    2. NSI has admitted that they helped to fund the .US registry that
    Jon Postel has attempted to manage at USC/ISI.

Now, as the InterNIC agreement comes to an end, and as the U.S.
Postal Service prepares to take over the .US registry, we see Jon
Postel once again working closely with NSI, and its CEO Gabe Batista,
to structure a company that ensures NSI will be able to service the
.COM, .NET and .ORG TLDs in the IPv4 address space which Jon
Postel controls via ARIN (created by NSI), where Jon Postel is a Board
member. Furthermore, we find that Jon Postel and NSI provide no
mechanism for selecting the Directors for this new company or any
list of Directors. Do Jon Postel and/or NSI really care about whether
that new company is created ? What do they need it for ?

It is my opinion, that ARIN (Postel) and NSI (Batista) are all that is
really required to keep the IPv4 Internet moving forward. With the
rapidly growing participation of for-profit companies like Microsoft
and the numerous other organizations like http://www.gip.org, it seems
to me that the U.S. Government can walk away from the situation
and let the market forces prevail. It is clear where those forces will
be centered. It is a shame that it is not CORE. That seems to be
due to Jon Postel, Don Heath and yourself more than anyone.

http://www.isoc.org/isoc/media/releases/980915apr.shtml
http://www.arin.net/fall98meeting/index.html
http://www.east.isi.edu/ms/ms.html
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/glance_orlando.txt

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
End-2-End: VPC(Java)---C+@---<IPv8>---C+@---(Java)VPC
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://www.ddj.com/index/author/idx10133.htm