Subject: Need Information Urgently

From: "R.S.Arkesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:08:13 +0500 (GMT+0500)

Hi
	We have started work on a project "Internet Access via Satellite".
The basic architecture is that of a TDM/TDMA, with the interface to the
Internet at the Hub being a standard Router and a Internt Server(a
Workstation).
	I have the following doubts regarding TCP/IP implementation over
the Satellite :
1. Why is TCP/IP implemented over the Satellite ? Cannot something like a
"Store and Forward" policy be adopted, i.e., all the Internet datagrams
which land at the Hub are buffered by the server, and it itself generates
the ACK packet to the source.  The server will then encapsulate the data
in a proprietary format and sends it to the appropriate VSAT(remote
terminal).  Any data lost in the satellite link will be taken care by the
server at the Hub by retransmission independent of the original source.
The same policy is used for the IP datagrams generated by the VSAT.
	Wouldn't the above method be a better implementation, rather than
running TCP/IP over the satellite ?
	Can the same TCP/IP Protocol stack as used for terrestrial
networks be used in this case ?

b. Is a back channel of 64 kbps which will be shared by a number of VSATs
on a TDMA be sufficient for the ACK packets generated by TCP ? Will a
smaller data rate affect the overall throughput ? Where will I get more
details in this regard ?

c. Can a Router be configured for a network MTU manually ? / How does a
Router learn the MTU of a connected network ?  

Reply ASAP,
With regards,
Arkesh
###############################################

R. S. ARKESH KUMAR
RESEARCH ENGINEER
SATELLITE COMMUNICATION
CENTRE FOR DEVELOPMENT OF TELEMATICS
71/1, MILLER ROAD
BANGALORE - 560 052

Other E-Mail address : [email-masked]

PHONE : 91-80-2261529
FAX:91-80-2263256

################################################

---

From: "Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:39:09 +0000

This url may help: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/tcpsat-charter.html

> Date:          Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:08:13 +0500 (GMT+0500)
> From:          "R.S.Arkesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
> To:            [email-masked]
> Subject:       Need Information Urgently 

> Internet at the Hub being a standard Router and a Internt Server(a
Sincerely
Russ Pollanen
[email-masked]
"Member, International Webmasters Association http://iwanet.org"

---

From: "Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:39:09 +0000

Sincerely
Russ Pollanen