Subject: Re: One Address Space at a Time...

From: Jay Fenello <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:27:44 -0400

Hi Jim,

Based on the IPv8 technical specs that I've
seen, you have designed a system that offers
many advantages over the legacy system.

Unfortunately, the way you have promoted IPv8
on the lists has been more annoying than effective.  
IMHO, a little strategic marketing will go a long 
way towards making IPv8 a tremendous success ;-)

See you in Orlando . . .

Jay.

At 05:00 PM 9/28/98 , Jim Fleming wrote:
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Marsh, Miles (Gene) <[email-masked]>
>To: Bob Stewart <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
>Date: Monday, September 28, 1998 3:19 PM
>Subject: RE: regarding potential new IANA initial board members
>
>
>>Bob,
>>
>>Exactly.  Unfortunately, many people look for a label to put on any
>approach
>>taken.  I use "democracy", as several others have, to imply an openness to
>>assess a wide variety of views, opinions and ideas.  Sounds better than "an
>>open, solicitous, structured bureaucratic oligarchy", which is in fact what
>>it will end up being by pure definition.
>>
>
>
>It might help you put things in proper perspective if you look at the
>following list. As you will note, the IPv4 address space is 0:0 and
>the .ARPA TLD is the key to that kingdom. IN-ADDR.ARPA is also
>key to controlling that space. Jon Postel and Vinton Cerf apparently
>attended the same high school and have a long history of controlling
>0:0. I think that it is clear that no one is going to convince them to give
>up control of those resources. That appears to be between them, the
>U.S. Government and the rest of the world, including http://www.gip.org.
>
>http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
>
>0:0  ARPA
>    1. Jon Postel
>    2. Vinton Cerf
>0:1  NET
>    1. Richard Sexton
>    2. Tim Gibson
>...
>
>Other people, like Richard Sexton and Tim Gibson have decided to
>help move forward and expand the Internet. They will be helping to
>develop the 0:1 address space which is as large as the existing 0:0
>address space. That space has the .NET "label" or "tribal name".
>The IN-ADDR.S1.G0 zone can be used for reverse resolution. This
>helps to distribute the load on the DNS. I am not sure if Richard and
>Tim went to high school together but I have a feeling that they can
>manage the 0:1 address space as well as Jon Postel and Vinton
>Cerf. Only time will tell.
>
>I hope that other people step forward to help manage the growing
>Internet. There is now plenty of room in the IPv8 address space.
>The IPv6 protocol can be used for transport. The 0:1 IPv8 address
>space fits neatly inside ::8001:x.x.x.x, for legacy addresses. I am sure
>that Richard and Tim will manage it well, and will develop new and
>innovative approaches never before allowed on the 0:0 legacy Internet.
>
>We can now have thousands of Internet clones. Getting past the first
>couple of address spaces beyond 0:0 seems to be the hardest step.
>Hopefully, Richard, Tim and others will show the way. Maybe we can
>discuss this more in December in Orlando, Florida ? In the interim,
>we have thousands more address spaces to add...one by one...if you
>have a TLD, you have a full 32-bit address space to use, free of charge.

>It is time to move forward and expand the potential...
>
>http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-43.html
>
>
>Jim Fleming
>Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
>0:201 .COM
> 

Regards,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.  
404-250-3242  http://www.iperdome.com

---

From: Jay Fenello <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:27:44 -0400

Hi Jim,

See you in Orlando . . .

Jay.

Regards,

Jay Fenello