Subject: Fred Baker and Ira Magaziner Meeting

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:22:10 -0500

Contact Name: Nicci T. Dowd
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: (202)334-2605
Fax: (202)334-2318

Can you please send a list of attendees at the following meetings ?

@@@@
http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/MeetingDisplay1/CSTB-L-97-05-A?OpenDocument

@@@@
http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/MeetingDisplay2/CSTB-L-97-05-A?OpenDocument

"12:00 Discussion: Standards and the IETF
Fred Baker"
...
2:00 p.m. Briefing: Administration View of the Internet
Ira Magaziner

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
0:201 .COM
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
End-2-End: VPC(Java)--<IPv4>--C+@---<IPv8>---C+@--<IPv4>--(Java)VPC
http://www.ddj.com/index/author/idx10133.htm

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 15:49:28 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Craig Partridge writes:
>
>Before more silliness occurs...
>
>The meeting Jim refers to is a meeting of the National Research Council's
>study committee on "The Internet in the Evolving Information Infrastructure."
>The committee is charged with giving advice on the long-term future of
>the Internet.
>
>Fred's on the committee (so am I).  Ira Magaziner came to brief the committee
>for an hour at its recent meeting on Monday.  At a different time, Fred
>led a discussion of the current state of the IETF.
>
>Incidentally, while some parts of NRC committee meetings are closed by law,
>these two discussions were during open session -- when anyone can attend and
>our chair (Eric Schmidt) welcomes visitors during open sessions.

If he hears that I was there, he'll get even more suspicious, even though
my presence is amply explained by other factors....

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:08:14 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
To: Jim Fleming <[email-masked]>
Cc: IFWP Discussion List <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, October 01, 1998 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: Fred Baker and Ira Magaziner Meeting

>At 03:49 PM 10/1/98 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>You're likely to get REAL suspicious when you find that Christine Varney
was there as well. You might also be interested in the names of other folks
who attended to listen, and in the fact that those who made presentations
didn't see or hear each other's presentations.
>
>You might be comforted to read http://www2.nas.edu/cstbweb/, and intrigued
to read http://www2.nas.edu/cstbweb/55a2.html. But you will be most
interested in http://www2.nas.edu/cstbweb/562a.html, which you will no doubt
interpret as a list of senior members of the Internet equivalent of the
Tri-lateral Commission.
>
>Sheesh. You know, my kids a few years back told my wife that they had
figured out what I do for a living. I punch buttons... What they don't know,
is which buttons I push. You see, there's this big RED one in the middle of
my desk, right under all that paper over there... So THAT's what happened to
the garage opener!
>
>Jim, I can tell you what the committee has to do with the technology of the
Internet - the web page kind of says it all - but to get very deeply into
it, I am required by US Law to make you wait for the production of the
report. But as to the fact that Ira Magaziner and I breathed the same air
for an hour - WHAT has this got to do with the technology of the Internet?
Can we PLEASE take this off-line?

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Fred,

You appear to be transmitting from the IPv4 legacy Internet.
From an IPv8 point of view, that is "off-line". In other words,
you have arrived and are where you want to be.

Don't worry, I will not tell your kids or wife that the buttons
you are pressing are not connected to anything.

;-)

Jim Fleming