Subject: Re: OPEN LETTER TO ROOT NAME SERVER OPERATORS

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:12:10 -0500 (CDT)

I can't believe this.  We have a moron attacking people like Vixie, Mallamud,
and Postel, all people who actually built the network, and keep it stable.

If the "FreeNet" people had their way, the Internet would look like Fidonet,
at best.  Not a pretty picture.

What are we to think of an organization that willfully violates copyright?
http://www.fcn.net/IANA2/  (And no, Bob.  Thas isn't "satire" or "parody".)
Maybe the legal dept at henson.com will put a stop to that...

Jim

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:19:23 +0800

>and Postel, all people who actually built the network, and keep it stable.

Jim, it no longer remarkable that such people attack such people. The
Internet provides easy opportunity for silly attacks.  The growth of the
Internet has caused it to come to include participants who find
satisfaction in making the attacks.

What IS remarkable is that any of the rest us pay attention to that
silliness and consume valuable time and group bandwidth by responding.
That lends credibility to the attacks and credibility is exactly what the
attacks should not be given.

There is only one, reasonable response to these efforts and that is no
response at all.  If the truly naive among us show signs of taking the
attacks seriously, then it is sometimes appropriate to "set the record
straight".  Otherwise we should ignore them.  Completely.

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1(408)246 8253
<mailto:[email-masked]>                        675 Spruce Drive
                                                  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA
Brandenburg Consulting
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                         Tel: +60(19)3299 445
                                              Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
Fax: +1(408)246 8253                     Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:19:23 +0800

d/

---

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:10:15 -0400 (EDT)

Jim Thompson wrote:
> What are we to think of an organization that willfully violates 
> copyright? http://www.fcn.net/IANA2/  (And no, Bob.  Thas isn't
> "satire" or "parody".) Maybe the legal dept at henson.com will
> put a stop to that...

 What does any of this have to do
 with network infra-structures or
 protocols? However, since you did
 bring it up my personal favorite
 creation is at <http://fcn.net/xxx>.

 Bob Allisat

 Free Community Network _ [email-masked] . http://fcn.net
 http://fcn.net/allisat

---

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:10:15 -0400 (EDT)

Bob Allisat

---

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:32:53 -0400 (EDT)

> straight".  Otherwise we should ignore them.  Completely.

 Indeed. Let them eat cake...

 Bob Allisat

---

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:32:53 -0400 (EDT)

Bob Allisat