Subject: Fwd: US Government Extends Network Solutions Cooperative Agreement through September 2000 (fwd)

From: "Rick H. Wesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:21:51 -0700 (PDT)

hi,

My question is simple, whom is going to design the "shared" interface
to this system, and is this design going to be going through the IETF
process. or will it be designed wholesale by NSI?

-Rick

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:15:47 -0400
From: Nick Patience <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Fwd: US Government Extends Network Solutions Cooperative             
    Agreement through September 2000

>From: "Huddleston, Nancy" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: US Government Extends Network Solutions Cooperative Agreement thr
>       ough September 2000
>Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:43:40 -0400
>Importance: high
>X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2232.9)
>Apparently-To: <[email-masked]>
>
>US Government Extends Network Solutions
>Cooperative Agreement through September 2000
>
>Herndon, Va., October 6, 1998 - Network Solutions, Inc. (NASDAQ: NSOL) and
>officials from the Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications and
>Information Administration (NTIA) have agreed to a two-year extension of the
>Cooperative Agreement between the US Government and Network Solutions with
>provisions to transition relevant US Government authority to a new
>non-profit corporation for coordination of some domain name system
>functions.  As part of the agreement, Network Solutions and NTIA have agreed
>to a plan for the transition to a shared registration system in a phased
>approach beginning March 31, 1999 with full implementation by June 1, 1999.
>Network Solutions will build a shared registration system to support
>multiple licensed, accredited registrars offering registration services.
>Network Solutions and other domain name registrars will function as
>retailers of domain name registration services through Network Solutions'
>shared registration system.  Network Solutions will also continue in its
>role as the registry -- or wholesaler -- of .com, .net and .org domain name
>registrations.  Network Solutions has registered more than 2.3 million
>domain names, or Web addresses, in .com, .net , .org and .edu.
>Network Solutions has worked with the US Government pursuant to a five year
>Cooperative Agreement to develop and maintain some of the key administrative
>functions of the Internet including the domain name registration system.
>This new amendment extends the Cooperative Agreement through September 30,
>2000.
>
>
>
>Other highlights from the extension include the following:
>*      Network Solutions will submit a copy of all software and data
>generated under the Cooperative Agreement through September 30, 1998 to the
>US Government.
>*      Once a shared registration system is implemented, pricing for
>Network Solutions' shared registry services for .com, .net, .org and .edu
>will be a specific dollar amount per registration, per year, and will be
>specified in a further amendment reflecting Network Solutions' costs and a
>reasonable return on its investment.
>*      Following the finalization of the US Government's agreement with a
>new non-profit corporation - also known as Newco -- that will act as a
>coordinating body for domain name system administrative functions, Network
>Solutions will negotiate a contractual relationship with Newco.
>*      Network Solutions will continue to function as the administrator for
>the primary root server  -- known as root server A -- for the root server
>system and as a root zone administrator until such time as the US Government
>instructs Network Solutions to transfer either or both of these functions to
>Newco or a specific alternate entity.
>Founded in 1979, Network Solutions, Inc. (NASDAQ: NSOL) pioneered the
>development of registering Web addresses ending in .com, .net, .org and
>.edu.  Network Solutions also provides enterprise network consulting
>services, focusing on network engineering, network security and network
>management solutions for commercial customers.  For more information, see
>the www.networksolutions.com Web site.
>
>Contact: For Media, Christopher Clough, [email-masked] (703) 742-4706,
>for Investor Relations,
>Bob Korzeniewski, [email-masked], (703) 742-4741.
>
>
>###
>
______________________________________
Nick Patience
Internet Editor, ComputerWire Inc
928 Broadway, Suite 800, New York NY 10010
[email-masked]
Ph: 212 677 0409 x18          Fx: 212 677 0463
http://www.computerwire.com

-- 
DOMAIN-POLICY administrivia should be sent to <[email-masked]>
To unsubscribe send a message with only one line "SIGNOFF DOMAIN-POLICY"
For more help regarding Listserv commands send the one line "HELP"

---

From: "Rick H. Wesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:21:51 -0700 (PDT)

hi,

-Rick

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 18:33:00 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, "Rick H. Wess
>process. or will it be designed wholesale by NSI?

That's a very good question.  Note that the IETF per se does not, in general,
decide to design protocols.  Rather, individuals bring proposals for working
groups to the IETF, per our usual process.  This strikes me as clearly
relevant to the IETF, and I personally (and speaking for myself, not the
IAB) see no reason why a properly-crafted charter would be rejected.

Getting the relevant players to buy in is another matter, of course.
And the schedule -- starting shared operation in about 6 months -- is
quite aggressive, and almost certainly too tight for our usual process.
It might be worth everyone's while to look at what CORE built, and use
the intervening time to adapt their server side to NSI's back-end processes.