Subject: Re: Postel - FW: Flowers & Donations

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:59:15 -0400

At 05:13 PM 10/20/98 -0400, Steve Coya wrote:

>Jon's family has issued the following statement regarding flowers
>and donations:
>
>In lieu of flowers... 
>
>Two funds have been established by the Internet Society: one for an endowed
>chair at UCLA and  the other to endow an award for someone whose service to
>the Internet honors Jon's memory.  
>
>Checks can be sent to:
>	Jonathan B. Postel Endowed Chair Fund or
>	Jonathan B. Postel Service Award Fund
>	Internet Society
>	12020 Sunrise Valley Drive Suite 210 
>	Reston, VA 20191-3429 USA 
>	Tel: 703-648-9888
>	

Steve-o,

Would it be possible for you to explain what either of these funds
endow?

Thanks,

- paul

--
Paul Ferguson                                           ||        ||
Consulting Engineering                                  ||        ||
Internet Architecture                                  ||||      ||||
Herndon, Virginia   USA                            ..:||||||:..:||||||:..
mailto:[email-masked]                          c i s c o S y s t e m s

---

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:59:15 -0400

Steve-o,

Thanks,

- paul

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:40:44 -0400

The Endowed Chair would fund a full-time professorship at UCLA
in the area of networking. The fund would have to reach between
$1M and $2M to be reliably useful for that purpose in perpetuity.

The Service award would be offered by ISOC every second year and 
carry a $20K honorarium (assuming the fund has about $200K-250K in assets).

Vint Cerf

>Would it be possible for you to explain what either of these funds
=================================================================
If you are using any email address other than [email-masked],
please change your address book to use that address exclusively.

See you at INET'99, San Jose, CA, June 25-29,1999 
http://www.isoc.org/inet99/

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:40:44 -0400

Vint Cerf

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:04:49 -0700

>Would it be possible for you to explain what either of these funds

The Jonathan B. Postel Endowed Chair Fund endows a chair at USC/ISI in
Jon's memory. The Jonathan B. Postel Service Award Fund is intended to give
a scholarship or grant to someone who does something worthy of funding. The
former, as I understand it, is pretty well fleshed out with the folks at
ISI; the latter needs to be discussed with the family and made more
particular. The exact amount of money given each year through these funds
depends on the amount of money that finds its way into the appropriate
trust account.

You'll appreciate that we haven't been pressing the family to discuss
either of these. They have enough on their plate right now.

Details will be found at http://www.isoc.org/postel/ as they unfold. Right
now, there is information there about sending cards and flowers, and other
condolences, and timing of a memorial service at USC/ISI.

Specific questions can be sent to Martin Burack <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:04:49 -0700

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:57:07 -0700

I stand corrected. The endowed chair is at UCLA, where Jon started his work
as RFC editor and IANA, and did his PhD work. I missed something in my
exchange with Vint et al yesterday.

Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:57:07 -0700