Subject: Internet Monthly Report for September, 1998

From: IMR Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:05:15 -0800

September 1998

INTERNET MONTHLY REPORTS
------------------------

The purpose of these reports is to communicate to the Internet Research
Group the accomplishments, milestones reached, or problems discovered by
the participating organizations.

Each organization is expected to submit a 1/2 page report on the first
business day of the month describing the previous month's activities.
These reports should be submitted via network mail to "[email-masked]".

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The Internet Monthly Report mailing list is now managed by MajorDomo at
ISI.EDU.  The announcements of new issues on the Internet Monthly Report
are sent to the IETF-Announce list and to this IMR list.

Requests to be ADDED or DELETED from the Internet Monthly report list
should be sent to "[email-masked]" with the message body either
"subscribe imr" or "unsubscribe imr".

Details on obtaining the current IMR, or back issues, via FTP or EMAIL
may be obtained by sending an EMAIL message to "[email-masked]" with
the message body "help: ways_to_get_imrs".  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting imrs

        help: ways_to_get_imrs

or  URL: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/

Ramos                                                           [Page 1]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     IAB MESSAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3
     INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3

  Internet Projects

     INTERNIC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 16
       Network Solutions Report. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
       US Domain Registry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 16
     MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 18
     UCL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 19
     IANA REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 19
     RFC EDITOR REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 20

  CALENDAR OF EVENTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 21
    TERENA List of Meetings  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 23

Ramos                                                           [Page 2]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     The minutes of the IAB back to 1990 are available for anonymous ftp
     access on host ftp.isi.edu, directory /pub/IAB, or via the IAB
     World-Wide Web page with URL http://www.iab.org/iab/.

     Brian Carpenter IAB Chair

INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS
----------------------------

               Internet Monthly Report for September, 1998

  1. The final meeting of the year will be held in Orlando, Florida
     from December 7-11, 1998. This meeting is being hosted by
     Microsoft. Registration is scheduled to begin the first part of
     October.

     Once all arrangements have been made, notifications will be sent
     to the IETF Announcement list. Remember that information on
     future meetng sites can always be found in the file
     0mtg-sites.txt, located on the IETF shadow directories. Of
     course, this information is provided on the Web. The IETF's URL
     is:

                          http://www.ietf.org/

  2. The minutes of the IESG teleconferences be found on all the IETF
     shadow directories in the /iesg directory.

     The following IESG minutes have been added:

       August 13, 1998 (iesg.98-08-13)
       September 10, 1998 (iesg.98-09-10)

  3. The IESG approved or recommended the following 19 Protocol
     Actions during the month of September, 1998:

     o Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs
       for publication as a Best Current Practices RFC.

     o IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures for publication as
       a Best Current Practices RFC.

     o A Caution On The Canonical Ordering Of Link-Layer Addresses for
       publication as an Informational RFC.

Ramos                                                           [Page 3]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     o Multi-link Multi-node PPP for publication as an Informational
       RFC.

     o Microsoft PPP CHAP Extensions for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Terminology for IP Multicast Benchmarking for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o IP Version 6 over PPP for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Token Ring Networks for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o The PPP DES Encryption Protocol, Version 2 (DESE-bis) for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o The PPP Triple-DES Encryption Protocol (3DESE) for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o Voice Profile for Internet Mail - version 2 for publication as
       a Proposed Standard.

     o Toll Quality Voice - 32 kbit/s ADPCM MIME Sub-type Registration
       for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o VPIM Voice Message MIME Sub-type Registration for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o Content Duration MIME Header Definition for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o FTP Extensions for IPv6 and NATs for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL
       Profile for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o RTP Payload Format for BT.656 Video Encoding for publication as
       a Proposed Standard.

     o RTP Payload Format for the 1998 Version of ITU-T Rec. H.263
       Video (H.263+) for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Multiprotocol Interconnect over Frame Relay (Standard)

Ramos                                                           [Page 4]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

  4. 22 Last Calls were issued by the IESG during the month of
     September, 1998:

     o Advancement of MIB specifications on the IETF Standards Track
       <draft-iesg-odell-mibtest-01.txt> for consideration as a Best
       Current Practices RFC.

     o Media Feature Tag Registration Procedure
       <draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt> for consideration as a
       Best Current Practices RFC.

     o Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1
       <draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-05.txt> for consideration as a
       Draft Standard.

     o HTTP Authentication: Basic and Digest Access Authentication
       <draft-ietf-http-authentication-03.txt> for consideration as a
       Draft Standard.

     o The Batch SMTP Media Type <draft-freed-bsmtp-02.txt> for
       consideration as an Informational RFC.

     o Directory Server Monitoring MIB
       <draft-ietf-madman-dsa-mib-1-07.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Gateways and MIME Security Multiparts
       <draft-freed-gatesec-03.txt> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o OpenPGP Message Format <draft-ietf-openpgp-formats-07.txt> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o The ESP CBC-Mode Cipher Algorithms
       <draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-cbc-03.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o RTP Payload Format for the 1998 Version of ITU-T Rec. H.263
       Video (H.263+) <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-h263-video-02.txt> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Message Submission <draft-gellens-submit-12.txt> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o The One-Time-Password SASL Mechanism
       <draft-ietf-otp-sasl-02.txt> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 5]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     o Definitions of Textual Conventions and OBJECT-IDENTITIES for
       ATM Management <draft-ietf-atommib-atm2TC-08.txt> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for ATM Management
       <draft-ietf-atommib-atm1ng-05.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Accounting Information for ATM Networks
       <draft-ietf-atommib-atmacct-02.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Managed Objects for Controlling the Collection and Storage of
       Accounting Information for Connection-Oriented Networks
       <draft-ietf-atommib-acct-05.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Textual Conventions for MIB Modules Using Performance History
       Based on 15 Minute Intervals
       <draft-ietf-atommib-perfhistTC-04.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o IPv6 over Non-Broadcast Multiple Access (NBMA) networks
       <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-01.txt> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o IPv6 over ATM Networks <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-atm-02.txt> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Application Management MIB <draft-ietf-applmib-mib-10.txt> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for WWW Services
       <draft-ietf-applmib-wwwmib-09.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o SIP: Session Initiation Protocol <draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-09.txt>
       for consideration as a Proposed Standard.

  5. Two new working groups were concluded this period:

       Internet School Networking (isn)
       RWhois Operational Development (rwhois)

Ramos                                                           [Page 6]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

  6. There were 148 Internet-Draft Actions during the month of
     September, 1998:

     (atommib)  o Definitions of Supplemental Managed Objects for ATM
                  Management <draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-12.txt>
     (atommib)  o Definitions of Tests for ATM Management
                  <draft-ietf-atommib-test-04.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
                  Certificate and CRL Profile
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part1-11.txt>
     (atommib)  o Textual Conventions for MIB Modules Using
                  Performance History Based on 15 Minute Intervals
                  <draft-ietf-atommib-perfhistTC-04.txt>
     (atommib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for the SONET/SDH
                  Interface Type <draft-ietf-atommib-sonetng-04.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Finding Stuff (How to discover services)
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-discovery-09.txt>
     (none)     o Message Submission <draft-gellens-submit-12.txt>
     (ion)      o Multiprotocol Interconnect over Frame Relay
                  <draft-ietf-ion-fr-update-06.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Secret Key Transaction Signatures for DNS (TSIG)
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-tsig-06.txt>
     (none)     o A Method for the Transmission of IPv6 Packets over
                  ARCnet Networks.
                  <draft-souvatzis-ipv6-arcnet-04.txt>
     (ftpext)   o FTP Extensions for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-ftpext-ftp-over-ipv6-03.txt>
     (tls)      o Addition of Kerberos Cipher Suites to Transport
                  Layer Security (TLS)
                  <draft-ietf-tls-kerb-cipher-suites-03.txt>
     (rtfm)     o RTFM Working Group - New Attributes for Traffic
                  Flow Measurement
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-new-traffic-flow-05.txt>
     (radius)   o RADIUS Attributes for Tunnel Protocol Support
                  <draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-auth-06.txt>
     (lsma)     o Limitations of Internet Protocol Suite for
                  Distributed Simulation in the Large Multicast
                  Environment
                  <draft-ietf-lsma-limitations-03.txt,.ps>
     (applmib)  o Application Management MIB
                  <draft-ietf-applmib-mib-10.txt>
     (applmib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for WWW Services
                  <draft-ietf-applmib-wwwmib-09.txt>
     (none)     o Securing FTP with TLS
                  <draft-murray-auth-ftp-ssl-04.txt>
     (bmwg)     o Terminology for IP Multicast Benchmarking
                  <draft-ietf-bmwg-mcast-06.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 7]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     (mmusic)   o SIP: Session Initiation Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-09.txt,.ps>
     (calsch)   o Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object
                  Specification (iCalendar)
                  <draft-ietf-calsch-ical-12.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Advertising Services (Providing information to
                  support service discovery)
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-advertising-04.txt>
     (rtfm)     o Traffic Flow Measurement: Meter MIB
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-meter-mib-06.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
                  Operational Protocols - LDAPv2
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki2opp-08.txt>
     (none)     o DIAMETER Base Protocol
                  <draft-calhoun-diameter-05.txt>
     (none)     o SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over TLS
                  <draft-hoffman-smtp-ssl-08.txt>
     (poisson)  o IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures
                  <draft-ietf-poisson-wg-guide-04.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Router Renumbering for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-router-renum-05.txt>
     (none)     o Calendar attributes for vCard and LDAP
                  <draft-ietf-calsch-locating-01.txt>
     (none)     o Representing non-ASCII Characters in URIs and
                  Extended URIs <draft-masinter-url-i18n-02.txt>
     (calsch)   o iCalendar Message-based Interoperability Protocol
                  (iMIP) <draft-ietf-calsch-imip-08.txt>
     (mhtml)    o MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents, such as
                  HTML (MHTML) <draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-07.txt>
     (none)     o Key Management for Multicast: Issues and
                  Architectures <draft-wallner-key-arch-01.txt>
     (none)     o Path MTU discovery in the presence of security
                  gateways
                  <draft-richardson-ipsec-pmtu-discov-02.txt>
     (calsch)   o iCalendar Transport-Independent Interoperability
                  Protocol (iTIP) Scheduling Events, BusyTime, To-dos
                  and Journal Entries <draft-ietf-calsch-itip-07.txt>
     (ion)      o A Distributed MARS Service Using SCSP
                  <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-mars-02.txt>
     (ip1394)   o IPv4 over IEEE 1394
                  <draft-ietf-ip1394-ipv4-11.txt,.ps>
     (none)     o INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - VERSION 4rev1
                  <draft-crispin-imapv-06.txt>
     (fax)      o GSTN address element extensions in e-mail services
                  <draft-ietf-fax-fulladdr-04.txt>
     (cat)      o Generic Security Service Application Program
                  Interface Version 2, Update 1
                  <draft-ietf-cat-rfc2078bis-07.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 8]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     (rtfm)     o Traffic Flow Measurement: Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-architecture-04.txt>
     (tcpsat)   o Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels using
                  Standard Mechanisms
                  <draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-06.txt>
     (ipsec)    o The ESP CBC-Mode Cipher Algorithms
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-cbc-03.txt>
     (iesg)     o Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations
                  Section in RFCs
                  <draft-iesg-iana-considerations-06.txt>
     (http)     o Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1
                  <draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-05.txt,.ps>
     (pkix)     o X.509 Internet Public Key Infrastructure Online
                  Certificate Status Protocol - OCSP
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ocsp-06.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the
                  Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v2-02.txt>
     (none)     o Gateways and MIME Security Multiparts
                  <draft-freed-gatesec-03.txt>
     (openpgp)  o OpenPGP Message Format
                  <draft-ietf-openpgp-formats-07.txt>
     (mpls)     o MPLS Label Stack Encoding
                  <draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-03.txt>
     (manet)    o The Zone Routing Protocol (ZRP) for Ad Hoc Networks
                  <draft-ietf-manet-zone-zrp-01.txt>
     (none)     o The UDP Multicast Tunneling Protocol
                  <draft-finlayson-umtp-03.txt>
     (conneg)   o Media Features for Display, Print, and Fax
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-media-features-02.txt>
     (none)     o Authentication Scheme Extensions to NTP
                  <draft-mills-ntp-auth-coexist-01.txt>
     (http)     o HTTP Authentication: Basic and Digest Access
                  Authentication
                  <draft-ietf-http-authentication-03.txt>
     (radius)   o RADIUS Accounting Modifications for Tunnel Protocol
                  Support <draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-acct-02.txt>
     (fax)      o Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax
                  <draft-ietf-fax-goals-04.txt>
     (none)     o The Batch SMTP Media Type
                  <draft-freed-bsmtp-02.txt>
     (none)     o LDAP Schema Definitions for Intranet Mail Routing -
                  The mailRecipient Object Class
                  <draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-02.txt>
     (tn3270e)  o TLS-based Telnet Security
                  <draft-ietf-tn3270e-telnet-tls-01.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 9]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     (none)     o Provider Architecture for Differentiated Services
                  and Traffic Engineering (PASTE)
                  <draft-li-paste-01.txt>
     (printmib) o Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations for
                  the Job Monitoring MIB
                  <draft-ietf-printmib-job-protomap-04.txt>
     (none)     o Duplicate IP Address Detection Based on Gratuitous
                  ARP <draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-01.txt>
     (none)     o POP3 Extension Mechanism
                  <draft-gellens-pop3ext-08.txt>
     (dnssec)   o Secret Key Establishment for DNS (TKEY RR)
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-tkey-01.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Binary Labels in the Domain Name System
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-binary-labels-03.txt>
     (tn3270e)  o 5250 Telnet Enhancements
                  <draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-02.txt>
     (ipfc)     o IP and ARP over Fibre Channel
                  <draft-ietf-ipfc-fibre-channel-01.txt>
     (tls)      o TLS extensions for AttributeCertificate based
                  authorization <draft-ietf-tls-attr-cert-01.txt>
     (none)     o Hyper Text Caching Protocol (HTCP/0.0)
                  <draft-vixie-htcp-proto-03.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Non-Terminal DNS Name Redirection
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-dname-02.txt>
     (pint)     o Toward the PSTN/Internet Inter-Networking
                  --Pre-PINT Implementations
                  <draft-ietf-pint-pre-implement-02.txt>
     (rtfm)     o SRL: A Language for Describing Traffic Flows and
                  Specifying Actions for Flow Groups
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-ruleset-language-03.txt>
     (pppext)   o Microsoft Point-To-Point Encryption (MPPE) Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-mppe-02.txt>
     (none)     o Using IPv6 Addresses in URLs
                  <draft-masinter-url-ipv6-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Extended Facsimile Using Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-eifax-04.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure LDAPv2
                  Schema <draft-ietf-pkix-ldapv2-schema-02.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP LCP Internationalization Configuration Option
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-lcp-charset-04.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o DNS Extensions to Support IP Version 6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-02.txt>
     (fax)      o Extended MDN for Internet Fax Full Mode
                  <draft-ietf-fax-mdn-fullmode-02.txt>
     (disman)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote
                  Operations Using SMIv2
                  <draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-02.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 10]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     (none)     o The application/smil Media Type
                  <draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-02.txt>
     (snanau)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN TRAPS
                  <draft-ietf-snanau-appntrapmib-03.txt>
     (none)     o Simple Gateway Control Protocol (SGCP)
                  <draft-huitema-sgcp-v1-02.txt>
     (snanau)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN/HPR in IP
                  Networks <draft-ietf-snanau-hpripmib-01.txt>
     (dhc)      o DHCP Option to Disable Stateless Auto-Configuration
                  in IPv4 Clients <draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-01.txt>
     (diffserv) + Assured Forwarding PHB Group
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-af-00.txt>
     (none)     o XDR Extensions <draft-davis-xdr-ext-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Offramp Gateway Extensions to DSN and MDN
                  <draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-02.txt>
     (none)     o PKCS 1: RSA Cryptography Specifications Version 2.0
                  <draft-kaliski-pkcs-pkcs1v2-01.txt>
     (none)     o PPP Over Ethernet 'PPPOE'
                  <draft-carrel-info-pppoe-01.txt>
     (none)     o MULTI_NETWORK DATAGRAM TRANSMISSION PROTOCOL
                  <draft-stewart-xie-mdtp-01.txt>
     (none)     o RSVP Extensions for IPv6 Flow Label Support
                  <draft-schmid-rsvp-fl-01.txt>
     (none)     o Integrating SDP Functionality Into SMIL
                  <draft-hoschka-smilsdp-01.txt>
     (dhc)      o DHCP Option for User Authentication Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-options-uap-01.txt>
     (none)     o Definition of the LZJU90 MIME Content Transfer
                  Encoding Type <draft-costanzo-lzju90-mime-01.txt>
     (none)     o Anti-UBE and Anti-UCE Keywords in SMTP Banners
                  <draft-hoffman-legis-smtp-banner-01.txt>
     (none)     o Definitions of Managed Objects for Service Level
                  Agreements Performance Monitoring
                  <draft-white-slapm-mib-01.txt>
     (none)     o ISAKMP Key Recovery Extensions
                  <draft-rfced-exp-markham-01.txt>
     (dnsind)   + Extensions to DNS (EDNS1)
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-edns1-00.txt>
     (dnsind)   + Extension mechanisms for DNS (EDNS0)
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-edns0-00.txt>
     (dnsind)   + A DNS RR for specifying the location of services
                  (DNS SRV) <draft-ietf-dnsind-rfc2052bis-00.txt>
     (tn3270e)  + TN3270E Functional Extensions
                  <draft-ietf-tn3270e-extensions-00.txt>
     (usefor)   + Guidelines for the Generation of Message IDs and
                  Similar Unique Identifiers
                  <draft-ietf-usefor-msg-id-alt-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 11]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     (mhtml)    + The MIME Multipart/Related Content-type
                  <draft-ietf-mhtml-related-v2-00.txt>
     (none)     + Pluggable Authentication Modules
                  <draft-morgan-pam-00.txt>
     (none)     + Simple Commerce Messaging Protocol (SCMP)
                  <draft-arnold-scmp-00.txt>
     (none)     o DIRECTORY SUPPORTED CERTIFICATE STATUS OPTIONS
                  <draft-lloyd-dir-cert-stat-01.txt>
     (none)     + Basic Definition of Message Tracking
                  <draft-jones-msgtrk-def-00.txt>
     (none)     + MIME Types for Use with the ISO ILL Protocol
                  <draft-needleman-mime-ill-00.txt>
     (none)     + Admin Core - Administrative Container Metadata
                  <draft-iannella-admin-00.txt>
     (none)     + Multicast Manager (MCM): A Multipoint-to-Multipoint
                  Multicasting Protocol for ATM
                  <draft-seif-ion-mcm-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    o PKI Requirements for IP Security
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-01.txt>
     (nfsv4)    o NFS Version 4 Requirements
                  <draft-ietf-nfsv4-requirements-01.txt>
     (mpls)     + Use of Label Switching With ATM
                  <draft-ietf-mpls-atm-00.txt>
     (none)     + Notification - An extension to POP3
                  <draft-tornkvist-pop3-00.txt>
     (rtfm)     + RTFM: Applicability Statement
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-applicability-statement-00.txt>
     (fax)      + MIME content-type for Internet Fax Full Mode
                  <draft-ietf-fax-mime-fullmode-00.txt>
     (none)     + DIAMETER Proxy Server Extensions
                  <draft-calhoun-diameter-proxy-00.txt>
     (none)     + DIAMETER Device Configuration Extensions
                  <draft-greene-diameter-devconf-00.txt>
     (none)     + Requirements for A Telephony Gateway Device Control
                  Protocol <draft-taylor-ipdc-reqts-00.txt>
     (ospf)     + Multicast Extensions to OSPF
                  <draft-ietf-mospf-mospf-00.txt>
     (none)     o The Role of DMIF in Support of RTP MPEG-4 Payloads
                  <draft-balabanian-rtp-mpeg4-dmif-01.txt>
     (none)     + Requirements for DAV Searching and Locating
                  <draft-davis-dasl-requirements-00.txt>
     (none)     + IANA Address MIB
                  <draft-daniele-iana-addr-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + LDAP Replication Architecture
                  <draft-merrells-ldup-model-00.txt>
     (none)     + ACK Spacing for High Delay-Bandwidth Paths with
                  Insufficient Buffering
                  <draft-partridge-buffering-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 12]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     (none)     + List and Read Operations: LDAP-X.500 Alignment
                  <draft-lloyd-ldap-list-read-00.txt>
     (none)     + Service Controls: LDAP-X.500 Alignment
                  <draft-lloyd-ldap-svcs-00.txt>
     (none)     + Scenarios for DASL
                  <draft-henderson-dasl-scenarios-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Use of MPEG-4/DMIF and RSVP with Integrated
                  Services
                  <draft-balabanian-intserv-mpeg4-dmif-00.txt>
     (pppext)   + Deriving MPPE Keys From MS-CHAP V1 Credentials
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-mschapv1-keys-00.txt>
     (trade)    o Internet Open Trading Protocol - IOTP Version 1.0
                  <draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-01.txt>
     (none)     + Use of the Content-Disposition header with HTTP.
                  <draft-faerber-http-content-disp-00.txt>
     (tls)      + An Internet AttributeCertificate Profile for
                  Authorization <draft-ietf-tls-ac509prof-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Role of DMIF with RTSP and MPEG-4
                  <draft-balabanian-rtsp-mpeg4-dmif-00.txt>
     (ipngwg)   + Routing of Scoped Addresses in the Internet
                  Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoped-routing-00.txt>
     (calsch)   + iCalendar v2.0 Formal Public Identifier
                  <draft-ietf-calsch-icalfpi-00.txt>
     (pkix)     + Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Time Stamp
                  Protocols <draft-ietf-pkix-time-stamp-00.txt>
     (pkix)     + Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Data
                  Certification Server Protocols
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-dcs-00.txt>
     (dhc)      + Automaticly Choosing an IP Address in an Ad-Hoc
                  IPv4 Network
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + IPSec MIB <draft-ietf-ipsec-mib-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + IPv4 ICMP messages and IPsec security gateways
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-icmp-handle-v4-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + Options for handling ICMP messages that must be
                  forwarded <draft-ietf-ipsec-icmp-options-00.txt>
     (none)     + Distribution: LDAP server transition to X.500
                  <draft-lloyd-ldap-distribution-00.txt>
     (conneg)   + A syntax for describing media feature sets
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-feature-syntax-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Content feature schema for Internet fax
                  <draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Internet fax T.30 Feature Mapping
                  <draft-ietf-fax-feature-T30-mapping-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 13]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

  7. 20 RFCs were published during this period

     RFC2377 I  (ids)     Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled
                          Applications
     RFC2378 I  (ids)     The CCSO Nameserver (Ph) Architecture
     RFC2390 DS (ion)     Inverse Address Resolution Protocol
     RFC2400 S  (none)    INTERNET OFFICIAL PROTOCOL STANDARDS
     RFC2413 I  (none)    Dublin Core Metadata for Resource Discovery
     RFC2414 E  (tcpimpl) Increasing TCP's Initial Window
     RFC2415 I  (tcpimpl) Simulation Studies of Increased Initial TCP
                          Window Size
     RFC2416 I  (tcpimpl) When TCP Starts Up With Four Packets Into
                          Only Three Buffers
     RFC2417 PS (ion)     Definitions of Managed Objects for
                          Multicast over UNI 3.0/3.1 based ATM
                          Networks
     RFC2418 B  (poisson) IETF Working Group Guidelines and
                          Procedures
     RFC2419 PS (pppext)  The PPP DES Encryption Protocol, Version 2
                          (DESE-bis)
     RFC2420 PS (pppext)  The PPP Triple-DES Encryption Protocol
                          (3DESE)
     RFC2421 PS (none)    Voice Profile for Internet Mail - version 2
     RFC2422 PS (none)    Toll Quality Voice - 32 kbit/s ADPCM MIME
                          Sub-type Registration
     RFC2423 PS (none)    VPIM Voice Message MIME Sub-type
                          Registration
     RFC2424 PS (none)    Content Duration MIME Header Definition
     RFC2425 PS (asid)    A MIME Content-Type for Directory
                          Information
     RFC2426 PS (asid)    vCard MIME Directory Profile
     RFC2427 S  (ion)     Multiprotocol Interconnect over Frame Relay
     RFC2428 PS (ftpext)  FTP Extensions for IPv6 and NATs

Ramos                                                          [Page 14]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

INTERNET PROJECTS
-----------------

INTERNIC
--------

     NETWORK SOLUTIONS REPORT

     ******************************************************
     *       gopher sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:        0
     Retrievals:        0
     ******************************************************
     *        wais sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     Retrievals: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     ******************************************************
     *        whois sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Client Queries:  30038294
     Server Queries:  43942423
     ******************************************************
     *         ftp sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   105231
     Retrievals:   159007
     ******************************************************
     *      telnet sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   130589
     ******************************************************
     *       mailserver sessions                          *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:        0
     ******************************************************
     *       http sessions                                *
     ******************************************************
     Retrievals:  34615224
     ops%

Ramos                                                          [Page 15]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     Phones: 60,600
     Emails : 1,087,571
     Updates: 375,104

     by Ricardo A. Gonzalez <[email-masked]>

     THE US DOMAIN REGISTRY

     THE US DOMAIN
     =============

     The US Domain registration information is available online at
     http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     Much of the processing of the requests to the third level domain
     name is now automated. In particular, most requests to register
     names in localities already delegated are automatically forwarded
     to the administrator of that locality.

     US DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
     ====================================

             EMAIL/FAX            2633
             PHONE                  98
             ----------------------------
             Total Contacts       2731

             DELEGATIONS:           77
             FORWARDED REQUESTS:  1210
             OTHER US DOMAIN MSGS:1444
             ---------------------------
             Total                2731

     OTHER US DOMAIN MESSAGES include referrals to other subdomains or
     to/from the InterNic, phone calls, modifications, application
     requests, discussion and clarification of the requests, questions
     about names, resolving technical problems with zone files and name
     servers, and whois listings.

     MAJOR SUBDOMAINS DELEGATED
     ==========================

     K12     CC      TEC     STATE   LIB     MUS     GEN     DST     COG
     ===================================================================
     51      40      36      48      43      25      29      10      6
     ===================================================================

Ramos                                                          [Page 16]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     THIRD LEVEL DELEGATIONS
     ========================

     LOCALITIES
     ==========

     OBETZ.OH.US.                            MIDLOTHIAN.TX.US.
     AVALON.NJ.US.                           YARMOUTH.ME.US.
     SHIPPENSBURG.PA.US.                     OAK-GROVE.MN.US.
     WESTBROOK.ME.US.                        BOCA-RATON.FL.US.
     BUCHANAN.MI.US.                         BATH.PA.US.
     RANDOLPH.VT.US.                         STAMFORD.VT.US.
     GREENFIELD.NH.US.                       BLAIR.NE.US.
     AURORA.IL.US.                           WAKULLA.FL.US.
     ONONDAGA.NY.US.                         HANCOCK.NH.US.
     TRUMBULL.OH.US.                         TALLASSEE.AL.US.

     OTHERS
     ======

     GRIC.NSN.US.
     PGST.NSN.US.

     OTHER US DOMAIN DELEGATIONS THIS MONTH
     ======================================

     BOROUGH.SHIPPENSBURG.PA.US.             CO.OKLAHOMA.OK.US.
     CI.FRASER.MI.US.                        CI.TROY.MI.US.
     CO.FLATHEAD.MT.US.                      FLORENCE.CO.FLORENCE.WI.US.
     LOUIS.MILACA.MN.US.                     CBA.PVT.K12.VA.US.
     GUSTAVUS.LIB.AK.US.                     CI.KETCHUM.ID.US.
     BILL-LOEFFLER.PITTSBURGH.PA.US.         WNCNET.FRANKLIN.NC.US.
     CI.OLIVE-BRANCH.MS.US.                  CI.FORT-MYERS.FL.US.
     HANKS.BROOKEVILLE.MD.US.                CO.WALTON.GA.US.
     CO.GEAUGA.OH.US.                        PACIFICGROVE.LIB.CA.US.
     STATELIB.LIB.WA.US.                     SHERIFF.CO.WHITE.IN.US.
     CI.COLEMAN.WI.US.                       JBETTS.TAMPA.FL.US.
     CA.PVT.K12.VA.US.                       MENTOR.WILSONVILLE.OR.US.
     FORE.TALLAHASSEE.FL.US.                 FATCHOY.CHINATOWN.NY.US.
     BODIE.TAMPA.FL.US.                      CI.BLOOMFIELD.NE.US.
     BURR.OREM.UT.US.                        OKIE.BLANCHARD.OK.US.
     GEEKAZOID.LAS-VEGAS.NV.US.              ACORNOPRY.BENTON.IL.US.
     CI.CHOWCHILLA.CA.US.                    CONSUMER.WASHINGTON.DC.US.
     TOWNSHIP.SHIELDS.IL.US.                 TWP.LAKEWOOD.NJ.US.
     TANIS.LAS-VEGAS.NV.US.                  GIZMO.ARMONK.NY.US.

Ramos                                                          [Page 17]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

     PROVIDENCEUMC.GRAFTON.VA.US.            DHS.WASHINGTON.DC.US.
     CI.CLAWSON.MI.US.                       TWP.FERGUSON.PA.US.
     CO.PINAL.AZ.US.                         STGREGORY.PVT.K12.VA.US.
     SHERIFF.CO.MODOC.CA.US.                 COMMUNITY.EL-PASO.TX.US.
     CI.NEWPORT.ME.US.                       RIND.DETROIT.MI.US.
     ETHNET.PENNSAUKEN.NJ.US.                CI.LAPEER.MI.US.
     CI.OLDSMAR.FL.US.                       MARLYSWATSON.ZEBULON.GA.US.
     CI.SOUTH-PASADENA.CA.US.                STLEOSCHOOL.PVT.K12.VA.US.
     NANTICOKE.ELLICOTT-CITY.MD.US.

     URL: http://www.isi.edu/us-domain/

     by Brenna Guthrie <[email-masked]>

MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING
--------------------------

     This report summarizes September 1998 Internet engineering
     activities at Merit Network (www.merit.edu).

     Members of the Route Server Next Generation (www.rsng.net) team
     traveled to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, to provide training and
     consulting for the Route Servers at the Emirates Telecom
     Corporation's new exchange point, dubbed ETISALAT.  During the
     previous months, RSng had worked closely with the ETISALAT staff to
     design the exchange point and create a regional routing registry
     for the UAE.  Abha Ahuja, Jake Khuon, and Tom Spindler configured
     the Route Servers at Merit's facilities and shipped them to Dubai;
     while on site, the Merit team completed the installation and worked
     with ETISALAT engineers to ensure the systems were running
     smoothly.  Now that the RSs are in production, they are monitored
     and operated by the ETISALAT engineers themselves.

     Gerald Winters gave three presentations at the 31st RIPE meeting in
     Edinburgh, Scotland.  At the plenary session, he gave a talk titled
     "Post-Routing Arbiter Activities at Merit."  At the Routing Working
     Group, he presented talks on a proposed acceptable use policy for
     the Internet Routing Registry and deployment of the Routing Policy
     Specification Language in the RADB.  Craig Labovitz gave a talk
     titled "Route Flap Analysis" at the ISMA Backbone Engineering Data
     and Analysis conference, sponsored by the Cooperative Association
     for Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA).  Labovitz also attended ACM
     SIGCOMM '98.

     by Susan R. Harris <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 18]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

UCL
----

     We've been looking at providing protection to multicast data from
     re-multicast - there is a paper about one idea

     Watercasting: Discouraging Disclosure of Multicast Media

     This is a brief paper about a novel idea for providing some level
     of discouragement to deter recipients of a multicast stream from
     re-distributing it to further consumers. There is a relationship
     between the requirements for the scheme proposed here, and the
     requirements for reliable multicast protocols, and the need for
     mechanism to support layered delivery of streamed data.

     see ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/darpa/watercast.ps

     Meanwhile, we have also been working on alternate models for IP
     Multicast to the Internet Standard one devised by Steve Deering.
     This will be forthcoming in Internet Drafts for the next IETF, but
     the gist is to abandon the separation of intra and inter-domain
     multicast as a bad idea, and concentrate on scaling multicast
     through simple mechanisms.

     by John Crowcroft <[email-masked]>

IANA REPORT
-----------

     Domain System Parameters                        2
     MIME Media Types                                1
     Multicast Addresses: Individual Assignments     13
     PPP Numbers                                     1
     Private Enterprise Numbers                      72
     Port Numbers                                    54
     SMI Numbers                                     3
     Telnet Options                                  7

     by Josh Elliott <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 19]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

RFC EDITOR REPORT
-----------------

     This is a summary of Request for Comments Editor activity for the
     month of September, 1998:

                                  TIME IN QUEUE
     DOCUMENTS        New*   30 days     60 days      90 days      TOTAL
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     Beginning of       0       36          5           13        | 54
     month                                                        |
                                                                  |
     New               22        0          0            0        | 22
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
     Processed          6       11          4            4        | 25
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     End of month      16       25          1            9        | 51

     * New RFCs added to queue throughout the month

     The Requests for Comments (RFCs) are a series of notes, started in
     1969, about the Internet (originally the ARPANET). The notes
     discuss many aspects of computing and computer communication
     focusing in networking protocols, procedures, programs, and
     concepts, but also including meeting notes, opinion, and sometimes
     humor. The specification documents of the Internet protocol suite,
     as defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its
     steering group (the IESG), are published as RFCs.

     RFCs-to-be are edited by the RFC Editor.  RFCs enter the RFC
     Editor's work queue either by an action of the IESG or by
     independent submission.  Most independent submissions are referred
     to the IESG to check for overlap with IETF work.  The IESG might
     put a hold on a document to gather more input from its members.
     The wait for an RFC to be published varies as there can be
     unforeseen complications (typically editorial matters that need
     clarification from the author).  Documents can be removed from the
     publication queue if they are found to be insufficient or incorrect
     or if the IESG asks the author to join work already in progress in
     the IETF.

     by Alegre Ramos <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 20]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

CALENDAR
--------

Last update 10/22/98

The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat as a
means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are requested to
send in dates of events that are appropriate for this calendar section.
Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to:

               <[email-masked]>

Please note: The Secretariat does not maintain on-line information for
the events listed below.

A copy of this calendar is available as follows:

VIA FTP
-------
IETF Information is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

        Northern Europe Address:   ftp.nordu.net (192.36.148.198)
        Southern Europe Address:   ftp.nis.garr.it (193.205.245.10)
        Pacific Rim Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)
        Africa Address:       ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.12)
        West Coast Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)
        US East Coast Address:  ftp.ietf.org

cd ietf
ls *0mtg*

WWW
-------
<http://www.ietf.org/home.html> Click on the link for "meetings" and
you should find an entry "listing of other Internet related events".

************************************************************************

1998
-----------

Nov. 2-5          5th ACM Conf. on Computer &
                   Communications Security        San Francisco, CA
Nov. 2-6          NetWorld+Interop 98 Paris       Paris, France

Ramos                                                          [Page 21]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

Nov. 3-6          NetWorld+Interop 98 Brazil      Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nov. 8-10         NANOG 14                        Atlanta, GA
Nov. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Albuquerque, NM
Nov 24-26         Networld+Interop 98 Syndney     Sydney, Australia
Nov 25            TERENA Executive Committe       Amsterdam
Nov. 29-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Nashville, TN
Dec. 6-11         12th Systems Administration Conf.
                    (LISA '98)                    Boston, MA
Dec. 7-11         43rd IETF                       Orlando, FL

1999
-----
Feb. 3-5          1999 Network and Distributed System
                   Security (NDSS) Symposium
                   Catamaran Resort Hotel         San Diego, CA
Feb. 7-13         ATM Forum                       Atlanta, GA
Feb. 22-25        USENIX - 3rd Sym. on
                   Oper. Sys Design and
                   Implementation (OSDI '99)      New Orleans, LA
Feb 23-25         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Mar. 8-9          Electronic Payments Forum       San Francisco, CA
Mar. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Austin
Mar. 15-19        44th IETF                       TBA
Mar. 24-Apr 1     ITU Fax Standards Meeting       Geneva, Switzerland
Mar. 24-29        Electronic Messaging Assoc.
                  EMA '99                         Geneva, Switzerland
Apr. 5-9          Networld+Interop 99             Singapore
Apr. 18-24        ATM Forum                       Rome, Italy
Apr. 26-27        Ninth Int'l Packet Video Wrkshp New York, NY
May 10-14         IFIP/IEEE Int'l Symposium on
                   Integrated Network Mgmt        Boston, MA
May 11-14         Networld+Interop '99            Las Vegas, NV
May 11-May 14     8th International World Wide Web
                     Conference                   Toronto, Canada
May 31-Jun 4      Networld+Interop 99             Tokyo, Japan
Jun 4-6           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jun 7-10          TERENA-NORDUnet Networking 1999 Lund, Sweden
Jun 25-29         INET'99                         San Jose, CA
Jul 5-9           IEEE 802                        Montreal, Canada
Jul 12-16         45th IETF                       Oslo, Norway
Jul. 18-24        ATM Forum                       New Orleans, LA
Aug. 30-Sep 3     SIGCOMM '99 (West Coast US)     Cambridge, MA
Sep. 21-23         W3C Interest Group Mtg         TBA
Sep. 26-Oct 2     ATM Forum                       Bangkok, Thailand
Oct. 8-14         TELECOM '99                     Geneva, Switzerland
Oct. 13-17        Networld+Interop '99            Atlanta, GA
Nov. 3-4          Cross-Industry Working Team (XIWT) Crystal City, VA

Ramos                                                          [Page 22]

Internet Monthly Report                                   September 1998

Nov. 8-12         46th IETF                       Wash DC
Nov. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Kaui
Nov. 28-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Beverly Hills, CA

2000
----

Mar. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Albuquerque
Mar. 10-14      IEEE 802                          San Diego, CA
MAR 27-31       47th IETF                         Adelaide, Australia
May 9-11        Networld+Interop '00              Las Vegas, NV
late Aug        SIGCOMM 2000                      Europe (tentative)
Sep 25-29       Networld+Interop '00              Atlanta, GA
Nov. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Tampa, FL

The TERENA Calendar for November 1998 may be found on URL:

http://www.terena.nl/news/calendar.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

       TERENA Secretariat

       Singel 466-468
       1017 AW Amsterdam
       the Netherlands

       email <[email-masked]>

       tel: +31 20 530 4488
       fax: +31 20 530 4499

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ramos                                                          [Page 23]