Subject: Notice - Scam Alert

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10/23/98 11:06:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time

!!!!!!!!!SCAM ALERT!!!!!!!!

FlimFlam.com is a non-profit (labor of love) web site dedicated to exposing fraud and deceptive marketing practices. This email is a public service announcement. If you receive email purporting to come from FlimFlam.com which tries to sell you something or asks for any money at all, please report it to us immediately. If you do not wish to receive any more Scam Alert email notices, please reply to this message with REMOVE as the email subject and you will be immediately removed from our notification lists.

If you are receive an offer you think is meant to defraud a large number of people, please email us with the particulars of the offer. If we can determine it is obviously fraudulent or grossly deceptive, we will list it on our web site. Also, if you receive an offer that seems too good to be true, please check our web site to see if there is more information regarding the offer.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A FlimFlam Scam: World Currency Cartel a.k.a. World Conference Cartel a.k.a. EBSN a.k.a. Diamond International a.k.a. TLU a.k.a. NBT. This flimflam scam has been received as an email by some of our readers. Those who sent money received nothing of significant value for their money. This scam asks for cash or money order. The following postal addresses have been reported to us: 

EBSN
PO BOX 66
ROSELLE PARK, NJ 07204

DIAMOND  INTERNATIONAL
9903  SANTA  MONICA  BLVD.
SUITE #   405
BEVERLY  HILLS,  CA 90212
U.S.A.

NBT
PO BOX 1129
UNION, NJ 07083-1129

TLU 
PO BOX 824 
Lone Pine, CA 93545 

Sincerely,

The Editor, FlimFlam.com

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:24:46 -0400

Dear editor,

I looked at your web site and while I agree this is a good idea
and it was nice to see some of the well-known scams listed,
your message is considered spam and is considered improper on
the ietf mailing list and, more generally, on the mail service 
through which it was sent. 

Your business plan may be in jeopardy if you are prosecuted
for spamming, no matter how noble the intent. The fact that
you are flimflam.COM makes it clear you hope to bring enough
eyes to the site to justify advertising revenue (so much for
the labor of love), for example.

On behalf of the Internet Engineering Task Force, kindly cease
sending email to this list which is NOT on the technical topic
of engineering the Internet.

Thanks,

Vint Cerf
Chairman, Internet Society
>A FlimFlam Scam: World Currency Cartel a.k.a. World Conference Cartel a.k.a. EBSN a.k.a. Diamond International a.k.a. TLU a.k.a. NBT. This flimflam scam has been received as an email by some of our…
=================================================================
If you are using any email address other than [email-masked],
please change your address book to use that address exclusively.

See you at INET'99, San Jose, CA, June 25-29,1999 
http://www.isoc.org/inet99/

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:24:46 -0400

Dear editor,

Thanks,

Vint Cerf