Subject: TERENA-NORDUnet Networking Conference 1999

From: John Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:39:10 +0200

TERENA-NORDUnet Networking Conference 1999

                           First Announcement and

                               CALL FOR PAPERS

                                 Lund, Sweden
                                7-10 June 1999

                     "The Challenge of Gigabit Networking"

The 1990s have seen the transition from networks connecting
discrete communities of researchers, to networks connecting people from
every sector of society. The fact that networking has become truly
global should be welcomed, but at the same time, the exponential growth
currently being experienced brings many challenges.

The academic world has always been at the forefront of networking
developments, and this remains the case today. Many exciting network
applications were first developed in European academic and research
institutions and we can expect this proud tradition to continue. Gigabit
technology is now starting to become available and will be introduced on
research networks first.

At the same time, users are increasingly expecting certain standards of
service and the problems of scalability, Quality of Service and billing
need to be addressed. Furthermore, there are still many regulatory and
policy issues that need to be resolved by governments or through
self-regulation.

Following on from the well established JENC and NORDUnet conferences,
the "TERENA-NORDUnet Networking Conference 1999" will address these and
related issues with particular reference to the education and research
community. The presentations will take the form of panel debates and
discussions as well as invited and reviewed papers, and short presentations
on recent results. Topics covered will include Gigabit technologies,
Quality of Service developments, network security with special emphasis on
electronic commerce, advanced applications; and government policy and
regulatory issues. Sessions will highlight new Internet initiatives in
Europe, the Nordic area and North-America. The conference will be essential
for technology innovators, policy and decision makers as well as Internet
service providers and their users.

The conference is jointly organised by TERENA, the Trans-European Research
and Education Networking Association, and NORDUnet, the Nordic networking
association, and is hosted by the University of Lund with support from
SUNET, the Swedish University Network.

                   --------------------------------------

Subject areas for the conference include:

   * Gigabit technologies
   * Security, Electronic commerce
   * Quality of Service developments
   * Advanced applications
   * New forms of electronic content via high-bandwidth networks
   * Government policy and regulatory issues

Information for Paper Submission:

Full papers or extended abstracts (maximum of 4000 words) are to be
submitted. The official language of the conference is English. All papers
must be submitted in English.

   * Paper submissions must contain the following: paper title, full
   name of author(s), organisational affiliation(s), addresses,
   telephone and fax numbers, e-mail addresses, and subject area relating
   to your submission. If more than one author is listed please identify
   a single point of contact.

Electronic submission of HTML documents submitted via FTP is highly
recommended and should take place as follows:

HTML or ASCII:

     HTML documents:

Please use only elementary HTML commands and minimise the number of
files (one main HTML file, plus essential figures in a general format
such as GIF, referenced by relative URLs).

Send by anonymous FTP to (ftp.terena.nl) into directory
"pub/tnnc/submit". Please note that files deposited in this directory
can only be written once and cannot be deleted afterwards.

     ASCII documents:

ASCII submission via FTP or e-mail will also be accepted. E-mail
submissions should be made to [email-masked]. FTP submissions to
(ftp.terena.nl) into directory "pub/tnnc/submit".

Should electronic submission be impossible, please submit 4 copies of
double-spaced full paper manuscript / extended abstract (maximum of 4000
words) with a separate abstract to the TERENA Secretariat at the address
given below.

   * Accepted papers must be re-submitted in the format required for
     publication in the  Proceedings. Submission instructions will
     be supplied to authors of accepted papers.

Nearer the date of the conference, TERENA intends to publish a Call for
Short Papers providing an opportunity to present late breaking news in
sessions catering to recent results in research. These papers will not
be published in the conference proceedings.

Demonstrations

There will be an opportunity for participants from academia and industry
to present exciting applications of networking services, etc. in the
form of a demonstration. Proposed demonstrations should be documented
with a description not exceeding one page.

Demonstration submissions should be sent to:

    [email-masked]

Tutorials

A number of tutorials are planned in conjunction with the conference.
Proposals for tutorials should be documented by a description not
exceeding one page.

Tutorial submissions should be sent to:

    [email-masked]

Exhibition Facilities

An exhibition area will be available for international and national
companies and institutions sponsoring the conference. Please contact
the TERENA Secretariat for information on exhibition facilities or
consult the conference Web site at:

    http://www.terena.nl/tnnc/

Publications

Conference proceedings containing full papers will be published by
TERENA. These papers will also be published on the TERENA Web server.

TERENA Technical Meetings

TERENA Task Forces and participants in TERENA Projects will hold meetings
during
the conference week to discuss the latest results of their
activities. Most of these meetings will be open.

Conference Venue

Reputedly established in 990 by a Danish Viking king, Lund was formerly
the religious, political, cultural and commercial centre for the whole
of Scandinavia. The city is located just a short distance from Malmo,
and is conveniently located for both Malmo and Copenhagen airports; and
various ferry services. Amidst the city's enchanting tapestry of cobbled
streets, picturesque buildings are proud remainders of Lund's prominence
past and present. A centre for old architecture, folk culture, fine
modern art and close to Scania's many attractive beaches.

Lund University, founded in 1666, has eight faculties and a number of
research centres and specialised institutes, and is one of the largest
units for research and higher education in Scandinavia. The main part of
the University is situated in Lund, but a number of departments for
research and education are located in Malmö and Helsingborg. At present,
nearly 37,000 students are enrolled at Lund University and altogether
some 6,000 people are employed.

IDEON, Sweden's first and Scandinavia's biggest research village, is
also situated in Lund. The village will promote high-tech research and
development work in Swedish industry in close co-operation with Lund
University, the location for this conference.

Important Dates

 27 November 1998: Full Manuscript and Abstract due
 27 November 1998: Proposals for demonstrations due
 27 November 1998: Proposals for tutorials due

 31 January 1999:  Notification of acceptance to authors and proposers
                   of tutorials and demonstrations
 16 March 1999:    Final papers due
 30 April 1999:    Cut-off date for early registration
 7-10 June 1999:   TERENA-NORDUnet Networking Conference 1999

Relevant Contacts:

Programme Committee Chair
Peter Villemoes <[email-masked]>

TERENA VP Conferences
Michael Walsh <[email-masked]>

Local Organisation
Arne Sundström  <[email-masked]>

Conference Support
Bert van Pinxteren <[email-masked]>

General Information:

     TERENA Secretariat
     Singel 468
     1017 AW Amsterdam
     The Netherlands
     Tel: +31 20 530 4488
     Fax: +31 20 530 4499
     E-mail: [email-masked]
     http://www.terena.nl/tnnc/