Subject: The IETF's "Next Step" ?

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 08:38:44 -0500

Fred,

Is the "protocol" work described below part of the IETF ?
If not, where would it fit ?

@@@@ http://www.wired.com/wired/6.08/jini.html

"On top is a directory service, based on a "lookup" mechanism
that allows different Jini-enabled devices and applications to
register and be seen on the network. The next-level service is
persistence, provided by JavaSpaces technology, which stores
objects so that other users or applications can retrieve them.
Below that, a set of protocols based on Java's Remote Method
Invocation enables objects to communicate and pass each other
code. And finally a boot, join, and discover protocol allows
Jini-compatible devices, users, and applications to announce
themselves to the network and register in a directory."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

In your recent meeting with Eric Schmidt of Novell, did
he mention this work ? I assume that you are aware that
Eric used to be with Sun.

http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/MeetingDisplay1/CSTB-L-97-05-A?OpenDocument
http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/MeetingDisplay2/CSTB-L-97-05-A?OpenDocument

How does the IETF and the IAB plan to keep up with
the pace in these areas ?....or does it care ?

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
0:201 .COM
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
End-2-End: VPC(Java)--<IPv4>--C+@---<IPv8>---C+@--<IPv4>--(Java)VPC
http://www.ddj.com/index/author/idx10133.htm

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:55:39 -0700

At 08:38 AM 10/5/98 -0500, Jim Fleming wrote:
>register and be seen on the network...

I don't believe that anyone has posted an Internet draft on the subject,
but there's nothing that would preclude them doing so. We have other
descriptions of ways to implement network directories as well.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:55:39 -0700