Subject: Re: RFC 2468 on I REMEMBER IANA

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:45:16 -0500

Heh heh.  Was it chance or design that gave this RFC the number

			TWO FOUR SIX EIGHT

Bravo!

(Sorry if it's meaningless to non-US readers.  There's a standard
chant that goes, "Two four six eight, who do we appreciate?")

				Matt

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:45:16 -0500

TWO FOUR SIX EIGHT

Bravo!

				Matt

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:14:12 -0700

>Heh heh.  Was it chance or design that gave this RFC the number

Well, there are any number of RFCs that have interesting numbers; RFC 1984,
which is reminiscent of the title of a certain book, relates to
cryptography, to name one.

Jon always maintained that the numbers simply popped out, that the number
chosen was simply the next on the list. Others have wondered aloud whether
he ever chose when to look at the list...

I think this number just happened to be the next on the list, in true
Postel fashion, just like all the other interesting numbers :^)

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:14:12 -0700

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Oct 1998 16:43:46 -0700

> Postel fashion, just like all the other interesting numbers :^)

With Jon gone there is no longer any reason to hide the fact that the std
port number for HTCP (hypertext caching protocol; there's a draft in the
ICP wg archives) was chosen as the numeric DTMF codes for H-T-C-P.  A most
unusual man, whom I have already had occasion to miss on a professional
level twice today (I'm deliberately not counting the personal occasions.)
-- 
Paul Vixie
La Honda, CA
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Oct 1998 16:43:46 -0700