Subject: The IETF's "Next Step" ?

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 08:38:44 -0500

Fred,

Is the "protocol" work described below part of the IETF ?
If not, where would it fit ?

@@@@ http://www.wired.com/wired/6.08/jini.html

"On top is a directory service, based on a "lookup" mechanism
that allows different Jini-enabled devices and applications to
register and be seen on the network. The next-level service is
persistence, provided by JavaSpaces technology, which stores
objects so that other users or applications can retrieve them.
Below that, a set of protocols based on Java's Remote Method
Invocation enables objects to communicate and pass each other
code. And finally a boot, join, and discover protocol allows
Jini-compatible devices, users, and applications to announce
themselves to the network and register in a directory."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

In your recent meeting with Eric Schmidt of Novell, did
he mention this work ? I assume that you are aware that
Eric used to be with Sun.

http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/MeetingDisplay1/CSTB-L-97-05-A?OpenDocument
http://www4.nas.edu/webcr.nsf/MeetingDisplay2/CSTB-L-97-05-A?OpenDocument

How does the IETF and the IAB plan to keep up with
the pace in these areas ?....or does it care ?

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
0:201 .COM
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
End-2-End: VPC(Java)--<IPv4>--C+@---<IPv8>---C+@--<IPv4>--(Java)VPC
http://www.ddj.com/index/author/idx10133.htm