Subject: Re: OPEN LETTER TO ROOT NAME SERVER OPERATORS

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:12:10 -0500 (CDT)

I can't believe this.  We have a moron attacking people like Vixie, Mallamud,
and Postel, all people who actually built the network, and keep it stable.

If the "FreeNet" people had their way, the Internet would look like Fidonet,
at best.  Not a pretty picture.

What are we to think of an organization that willfully violates copyright?
http://www.fcn.net/IANA2/  (And no, Bob.  Thas isn't "satire" or "parody".)
Maybe the legal dept at henson.com will put a stop to that...

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 98 11:54:11 -0400

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>

    There is only one, reasonable response to these efforts and that is no
    response at all.

Oh, I dunno, I still like the idea of having the IETF mail forwarder tweaked to
preface all messages from Allisat, Phlegming, etc with something like:

	The IETF membership has decided (by a vote of 12,379 to 12) that this
	person is a complete, utter, nitwit who produces specious rants full
	to the brim with "a premium assortment of half-truths, semi-facts,
	quasi-logic, outright falsehoods, simple balderdash", and zany
	conspiracy theories, and we bring you this message only the interests
	of free speech. We recommend that you discard it immediately, without
	reading it, since historical analysis indicates that the probability
	that it contains anything useful is .0027%.

Except I'd make it a little stronger, actually.

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Deutsch)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:32:23 -0400

[ You wrote: ]

> preface all messages from Allisat, Phlegming, etc with something like:

An ad hoc group of us discussed what a system like this
should look like and about 10 days ago I promised to write
up the conclusions as a spec and, if acceptable, to have
it programmed. Since then, I came down with a nasty virus
and have barely kept my head above water. I do still plan
to finish the write up now I'm on the mend.

It was felt on the list that I shouldn't circulate
something half-baked, for the obvious reason that this
would be yet another distraction. I beg the list's
indulgence for just a few days more...

				- peterd

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Peter Deutsch,                                 (514) 875-8611  (phone)
  Bunyip Information Systems Inc.                   (514) 875-8134  (fax)
    <[email-masked]>                             http://www.bunyip.com

   "The right of belligerents to adopt means of injuring the enemy is
    not unlimited"
                      Hague Convention (IV) respecting the Laws and Customs
                      of War on Land, Annex to the Convention, 1907.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Deutsch)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:32:23 -0400

[ You wrote: ]

				- peterd