Subject: duplicate multicast address allocation

From: Mahnhoon Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:39:13 +0900

Dear all,

Some IP addresses are reserved for multicasting groups.
These multicast addresses are allocated to groups statically or
daynamically.
It makes that two groups with duplicate multicast address can exist
separately at the same time.
When a host joins to one group of them, 
it should exprience some difficulty for selecting which group
because two groups have the same multicast address.
Does this make any confusion?
Why can we not have any right answer to give distinguished mulitcast
addresses to
different groups?
Some people have been pursuing to solve this problem with a protocol
which allocates possible different multicast addresses to different
groups.
But there exits still some possiblity that two groups have same
multicast address.

Are there any different ongoing or old efforts for this problem?

Thanks,

Mahnhoon

[email-masked]