Subject: Technical question

From: "Raides J." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:24:32 +0000

Dear sirs:

	What port or protocol should I use to discover if a given standard
protocol (like HTTP, SMTP or wathever else) have been implemented on a
different port than the standard? I have tried direct telnet to the
usual port but no reply (not even a "port service changed to port xx")
has been given to me. I thinks this shall have some relationship to the
"Service Location Protocol", but I've seen how my browser goes to a
non-standard port using the usual DNS string (without port number) after
trying first with the usual standard port, and I will like to know how
to implement this behaviour by myself. I need it to implement a
proprietary protocol for a multiplayer game that allows different
communication ports to be opened on the server, but with a standard port
defined by the basic implementation to be used.

	Raides J.

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:37:50 +0100

At 09.24 +0000 98-10-29, Raides J. wrote:
>different port than the standard?

You can use the SRV record in DNS. See RFC 2052. The person allocating the 
non-standard port do though have to register that in DNS. It's not an 
automatic protocol you can use to query a host about what services run on 
what ports.

    Patrik

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:37:50 +0100

Patrik