Subject: Fw: Mandatory controls for optional lists

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

What a great idea, Dave.

I suggest this thing be called "The decrocker".

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, October 12, 1998 8:40 AM
Subject: Mandatory controls for optional lists

>(since this attempts to focus on a legitimate IETF issue, I've pruned the
>non-ietf addresses.)
>
>At 01:01 PM 10/12/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>Noel Chiappa writes:
>>> Oh, I dunno, I still like the idea of having the IETF mail forwarder
>>> tweaked to preface all messages ...
>>
>>Wouldn't be too hard to do that, technically. It might actually make
>>some sense.
>
>I believe that Harald Alvestrant has shown us the right way to pursue these
>sorts of mailing list variants.  That is, leave the main list open and
>unfettered.  It is the official list of the relevant IETF activity.
>
>Create a subsidiary re-distribution list that is under non-IETF (i.e.,
>unofficial) control and exercises whatever filtering rules its operator
>wishes to impart.  One could imagine a small tie-in to the official list,
>such as an offer to list all open-subscription redistributors on the
>relevant IETF page, so that those wishing to subscribe to a controlled
>redistributor can find out about it.
>
>There might also be merit in formal specification of a list-member feedback
>mechanism which permits the feedback to be used for modifying the filtering
>behavior.  This is worth a standard because the list members need a
>standard way to provide the feedback to the list control engine.  That's a
>protocol.
>
>d/
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1(408)246 8253
-- 
[email-masked]             "It's all just marketing"
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, CANADA, K0K 1Y0

---

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

What a great idea, Dave.