Subject: Re: Who owns this Internet thing anyhow...

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 21:08:06 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Masataka Ohta wr
ites:

>So, unless you are trying to have a large number of root servers,
>larger than can be contained in the entire IPv6 address space,
>propagation time is not a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked, the limit on the number
of root servers was set by the size of the maximum legal DNS packet.  Sure,
we can increase it, but it will take a long time till the old code dies off.

---

From: "Mathias Koerber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:56:51 +0800

Great, I just have a case where two organizations argue over who
owns a particular address block.

can I send their ICMB addresses (both parties!) to IANA and then keep the
block for myself ?

:-) for the humour impaired...

-----Original Message-----
From: Perry E. Metzger <[email-masked]>
To: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Cc: David R. Conrad <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Sunday, October 25, 1998 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: Who owns this Internet thing anyhow...

|
|Masataka Ohta writes:
|> Are you saying you, IETF, IESG, IAB or ISOC should attack those who
|> are using unregistered protocol numbers?
|
|What do you think the Secretariat does with all that money they get
|from the meetings?
|
|The IESG and IANA collectively control about three hundred megatons of
|tactical (not strategic) nuclear weapons. They are used exclusively to
|destroy installations using unregistered protocol numbers. The old
|methods of sending in demolitions crews or snipers just weren't
|sufficiently effective, as once the operation began the offending
|software was often sent out over the net itself before there was a
|chance to stop it. Nuclear weapons not only vaporize the offending
|installation, but also send out a nice EMP burst that knocks out all
|the routers in the area, preventing the spread of the contagion. They
|used to be hard to get a hold of, but now thanks to all the IETFers
|from the former Soviet block, its been much simpler.
|
|Generally, the IANA makes the request, with the IESG deciding on the
|final details of how the offending protocol is to be dealt
|with. There's a crack team from the Security Area Directorate that
|carries out most of the work in the field.  Unfortunately, the recent
|increase in workflow has necessitated the addition of a second
|Security Area Director.
|
|See RFC 715 for details, including the rules of engagement.
|
|Perry
|

---

From: "Mathias Koerber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:56:51 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Perry E. Metzger <[email-masked]>
To: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Cc: David R. Conrad <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]

|
|Masataka Ohta writes: