Subject: Internet Monthly Report for August, 1998

From: IMR Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 15:13:28 -0700

August 1998

INTERNET MONTHLY REPORTS
------------------------

   The purpose of these reports is to communicate to the Internet
   Research Group the accomplishments, milestones reached, or problems
   discovered by the participating organizations.

   Each organization is expected to submit a 1/2 page report on the
   first business day of the month describing the previous month's
   activities.   These reports should be submitted via network mail to
   "[email-masked]".

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

   The Internet Monthly Report mailing list is now managed by MajorDomo
   at ISI.EDU.  The announcements of new issues on the Internet Monthly
   Report are sent to the IETF-Announce list and to this IMR list.

   Requests to be ADDED or DELETED from the Internet Monthly report list
   should be sent to "[email-masked]" with the message body either
   "subscribe imr" or "unsubscribe imr".

   Details on obtaining the current IMR, or back issues, via FTP or
   EMAIL may be obtained by sending an EMAIL message to "rfc-
   [email-masked]" with the message body "help: ways_to_get_imrs".  For
   example:

           To: [email-masked]
           Subject: getting imrs

           help: ways_to_get_imrs

   or  URL: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/

Ramos                                                           [Page 1]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     IAB MESSAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3
     INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3

  Internet Projects

     INTERNIC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 22
       Network Solutions Report. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 22
       US Domain Registry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 23
     MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 25
     UCL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 25
     IANA REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 26
     RFC EDITOR REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 26

  CALENDAR OF EVENTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 28
    TERENA List of Meetings  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 30

Ramos                                                           [Page 2]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     The minutes of the IAB back to 1990 are available for anonymous ftp
     access on host ftp.isi.edu, directory /pub/IAB, or via the IAB
     World-Wide Web page with URL http://www.iab.org/iab/.

     Brian Carpenter IAB Chair

INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS
----------------------------

                Internet Monthly Report for August, 1998

  1. As I write this report, we are just returning from the IETF
     meeting in Chicago where we had over 2100 registered attendees!
     The final meeting of the year will be held in Orlando, Florida
     from December 7-11, 1998.

     Once all arrangements have been made, notifications will be sent
     to the IETF Announcement list. Remember that information on
     future meetng sites can always be found in the file
     0mtg-sites.txt, located on the IETF shadow directories. Of
     course, this information is provided on the Web. The IETF's URL
     is:

                          http://www.ietf.org/

  2. The minutes of the IESG teleconferences be found on all the IETF
     shadow directories in the /iesg directory.

     The following IESG minutes have been added:

     July 30, 1998 (iesg.98-07-30)

  3. The IESG approved or recommended the following 18 Protocol
     Actions during the month of August, 1998:

     o Inverse Address Resolution Protocol for publication as a Draft
       Standard.

     o Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax for
       publication as a Draft Standard.

     o Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification for
       publication as a Draft Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 3]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     o Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the Internet
       Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification for publication as a
       Draft Standard.

     o Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6) for publication as a
       Draft Standard.

     o IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration for publication as a
       Draft Standard.

     o IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the Transmission
       Control Protocol for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the User Datagram
       Protocol for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Generic Packet Tunneling in IPv6 Specification for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o Proposed TLA and NLA Assignment Rules for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Increasing TCP's Initial Window for publication as an
       Experimental Protocol.

     o Simulation Studies of Increased Initial TCP Window Size for
       publication as an Informational RFC.

     o When TCP Starts Up With Four Packets Into Only Three Buffers
       for publication as an Informational RFC.

     o IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp) for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o IP Payload Compression Using LZS for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o A MIME Content-Type for Directory Information for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o vCard MIME Directory Profile for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 4]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

  4. 16 Last Calls were issued by the IESG during the month of August,
     1998:

     o Message Submission <draft-gellens-submit-11.txt> for
       consideration as a Best Current Practices RFC.

     o Directory Schema Listing Procedures
       <draft-ietf-schema-proc-list-01.txt> for consideration as a
       Best Current Practices RFC.

     o A MIME Content-Type for WHOIS <draft-ietf-schema-whois-00.txt>
       for consideration as an Informational RFC.

     o A MIME Directory Profile for RWhois 1.5 Schema
       <draft-ietf-schema-rwhois-00.txt> for consideration as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Directory Schema Listing File Names
       <draft-ietf-schema-file-list-01.txt> for consideration as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Directory Schema Listing Meta Data
       <draft-ietf-schema-mime-metadata-01.txt> for consideration as
       an Informational RFC.

     o MIME Directory Profile for LDAP Schema
       <draft-ietf-schema-ldap-01.txt> for consideration as an
       Informational RFC.

     o MIME Directory Profiles for Listing Whois++ Schema
       <draft-ietf-schema-whoispp-00.txt> for consideration as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Requirements for the Initial Release of a Directory Schema
       Listing Service <draft-ietf-schema-rqmts-list-01.txt> for
       consideration as an Informational RFC.

     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL
       Profile <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part1-09.txt> for consideration
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o RTP Payload Format for BT.656 Video Encoding
       <draft-tynan-rtp-bt656-03.txt> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o The Network Access Identifier <draft-ietf-roamops-nai-11.txt>
       for consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 5]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     o Roaming Requirements <draft-ietf-roamops-roamreq-10.txt> for
       consideration as an Informational RFC.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for Extended Border Node
       <draft-ietf-snanau-ebnmib-02.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN TRAPS
       <draft-ietf-snanau-appntrapmib-02.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN
       <draft-ietf-snanau-appnmib-v2-02.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

  5. One new working group was created:

       Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)

     o and one working group concluded:

       IP Payload Compression Protocol (ippcp)

  6. There were 305 Internet-Draft Actions during the month of August,
     1998:

     (hubmib)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for the
                  Ethernet-like Interface Types
                  <draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-MIB-07.txt>
     (idmr)     o Protocol Independent Multicast-Sparse Mode
                  (PIM-SM): Motivation and Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-pim-arch-05.txt,.ps>
     (cat)      o Integrating Single-use Authentication Mechanisms
                  with Kerberos
                  <draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-passwords-03.txt>
     (idr)      o A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)
                  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-08.txt>
     (cat)      o Generic Security Service API Version 2 : C-bindings
                  <draft-ietf-cat-gssv2-cbind-07.txt>
     (rsvp)     o RSVP Cryptographic Authentication
                  <draft-ietf-rsvp-md5-06.txt>
     (none)     o Tunneling TCP based protocols through Web proxy
                  servers <draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt>
     (atommib)  o Definitions of Textual Conventions and
                  OBJECT-IDENTITIES for ATM Management
                  <draft-ietf-atommib-atm2TC-08.txt>
     (none)     o SONAR - A Network Proximity Service Version 1
                  <draft-moore-sonar-03.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 6]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (trunkmib) o Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS1, E1, DS2
                  and E2 Interface Types
                  <draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds1-mib-09.txt>
     (trunkmib) o Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS3/E3
                  Interface Type <draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds3-mib-09.txt>
     (drums)    o Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-08.txt>
     (idmr)     o A ''traceroute'' facility for IP Multicast.
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-traceroute-ipm-03.txt>
     (madman)   o Directory Server Monitoring MIB
                  <draft-ietf-madman-dsa-mib-1-07.txt>
     (mobileip) o Mobility Support in IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-06.txt>
     (trunkmib) o Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS0 and DS0
                  Bundle Interface Type
                  <draft-ietf-trunkmib-ds0-mib-08.txt>
     (dhc)      o Authentication for DHCP Messages
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-authentication-08.txt>
     (idmr)     o Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-07.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   o PPP LCP Extensions
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-lcpext-ds-03.txt>
     (rsvp)     o RSVP Diagnostic Messages
                  <draft-ietf-rsvp-diagnostic-msgs-04.txt>
     (atommib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for ATM Management
                  <draft-ietf-atommib-atm1ng-05.txt>
     (atommib)  o Textual Conventions for MIB Modules Using
                  Performance History Based on 15 Minute Intervals
                  <draft-ietf-atommib-perfhistTC-03.txt>
     (atommib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for the SONET/SDH
                  Interface Type <draft-ietf-atommib-sonetng-03.txt>
     (asid)     o vCard MIME Directory Profile
                  <draft-ietf-asid-mime-vcard-08.txt>
     (ipsec)    o Security Architecture for the Internet Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-07.txt>
     (issll)    o Providing integrated services over low-bitrate
                  links <draft-ietf-issll-isslow-04.txt>
     (rsvp)     o RSVP Operation Over IP Tunnels
                  <draft-ietf-rsvp-tunnel-01.txt>
     (roamops)  o Roaming Requirements
                  <draft-ietf-roamops-roamreq-10.txt>
     (ripv2)    o RIP Version 2 Carrying Additional Information
                  <draft-ietf-ripv2-protocol-v2-06.txt>
     (issll)    o The Multi-Class Extension to Multi-Link PPP
                  <draft-ietf-issll-isslow-mcml-04.txt>
     (none)     o Payload Format for HTTP Encoding in RTP
                  <draft-aboba-rtp-http-03.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 7]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (none)     o Interoperability Rules for Multicast Routing
                  Protocols <draft-thaler-multicast-interop-03.txt>
     (bmwg)     o Terminology for Cell/Call Benchmarking
                  <draft-ietf-bmwg-call-02.txt>
     (none)     o POP3 AUTHentication command
                  <draft-myers-sasl-pop3-05.txt>
     (none)     o Transmission of IPv6 over IPv4 Domains without
                  Explicit Tunnels
                  <draft-carpenter-ipng-6over4-04.txt>
     (ssh)      o Users' Security Handbook
                  <draft-ietf-ssh-users-08.txt>
     (rtfm)     o RTFM Working Group - New Attributes for Traffic
                  Flow Measurement
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-new-traffic-flow-04.txt>
     (drums)    o Internet Message Format Standard
                  <draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt-05.txt>
     (ippm)     o A One-way Delay Metric for IPPM
                  <draft-ietf-ippm-delay-04.txt>
     (dhc)      o DHCP Relay Agent Information Option
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-04.txt>
     (bmwg)     o Terminology for IP Multicast Benchmarking
                  <draft-ietf-bmwg-mcast-05.txt>
     (mmusic)   o SIP: Session Initiation Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-08.txt,.ps>
     (disman)   o Distributed Management Framework
                  <draft-ietf-disman-framework-02.txt>
     (idr)      o A Framework for Inter-Domain Route Aggregation
                  <draft-ietf-idr-aggregation-framework-03.txt>
     (calsch)   o Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object
                  Specification (iCalendar)
                  <draft-ietf-calsch-ical-10.txt>
     (none)     o Dublin Core Metadata for Simple Resource Discovery
                  <draft-kunze-dc-03.txt>
     (asid)     o LDAP Control Extension for Simple Paged Results
                  Manipulation
                  <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-simplepaged-03.txt>
     (cat)      o Kerberos Change Password Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-cat-kerb-chg-password-02.txt>
     (dhc)      o Multicast Address Allocation Configuration Options
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-multopt-03.txt>
     (ippm)     o A Packet Loss Metric for IPPM
                  <draft-ietf-ippm-loss-04.txt>
     (poisson)  o IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures
                  <draft-ietf-poisson-wg-guide-03.txt>
     (avt)      o Real-Time Transport Protocol Management Information
                  Base <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mib-02.txt>
     (secsh)    o SSH Transport Layer Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-secsh-transport-04.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 8]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (secsh)    o SSH Authentication Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-04.txt>
     (secsh)    o SSH Connection Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-secsh-connect-04.txt>
     (tcpimpl)  o Known TCP Implementation Problems
                  <draft-ietf-tcpimpl-prob-04.txt>
     (issll)    o PPP in a real-time oriented HDLC-like framing
                  <draft-ietf-issll-isslow-rtf-03.txt>
     (urn)      o URN Namespace Definition Mechanisms
                  <draft-ietf-urn-nid-req-05.txt>
     (avt)      o RTP Profile for Audio and Video Conferences with
                  Minimal Control
                  <draft-ietf-avt-profile-new-03.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   o PPP LCP CallBack
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-callback-ds-02.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Router Renumbering for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-router-renum-04.txt>
     (none)     o Sieve -- a Mail Filtering Language
                  <draft-showalter-sieve-04.txt>
     (disman)   o Event MIB <draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-04.txt>
     (disman)   o Expression MIB
                  <draft-ietf-disman-express-mib-05.txt>
     (disman)   o Notification Log MIB
                  <draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-03.txt>
     (ldapext)  o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
                  Extension for Transport Layer Security
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-tls-02.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Token Ring
                  Networks <draft-ietf-ipngwg-trans-tokenring-05.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Proposed TLA and NLA Assignment Rules
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-tla-assignment-05.txt>
     (tcpimpl)  o Some Testing Tools for TCP Implementors
                  <draft-ietf-tcpimpl-tools-04.txt>
     (ip1394)   o IPv4 over IEEE 1394
                  <draft-ietf-ip1394-ipv4-10.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   o PPP LCP Self Describing Padding
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-padding-ds-01.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Site prefixes in Neighbor Discovery
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-site-prefixes-02.txt>
     (issll)    o Integrated Service Mappings on IEEE 802 Networks
                  <draft-ietf-issll-is802-svc-mapping-02.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-discovery-v2-03.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-spec-v2-02.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 9]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
                  Representation of Key Exchange Algorithm (KEA) Keys
                  in Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
                  Certificates <draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-kea-02.txt>
     (idmr)     o Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP): Protocol
                  Specification <draft-ietf-idmr-gum-03.txt>
     (avt)      o An RTP Payload Format for Generic Forward Error
                  Correction <draft-ietf-avt-fec-03.txt>
     (fax)      o SMTP Service Extension for Immediate Delivery
                  <draft-ietf-fax-smtp-session-04.txt>
     (none)     o URLs for Telephone Calls
                  <draft-antti-telephony-url-06.txt>
     (nntpext)  o Network News Transport Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-nntpext-base-05.txt>
     (idr)      o Capabilities Negotiation with BGP-4
                  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-cap-neg-02.txt>
     (cat)      o Generic Security Service Application Program
                  Interface Version 2, Update 1
                  <draft-ietf-cat-rfc2078bis-06.txt>
     (none)     o ISO 7812/7816 Based Card Numbers and the Domain
                  Name System (DNS) <draft-eastlake-card-map-04.txt>
     (tcpsat)   o Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels using
                  Standard Mechanisms
                  <draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-05.txt>
     (pppext)   o Layer Two Tunneling Protocol 'L2TP' Management
                  Information Base
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-l2tp-mib-02.txt>
     (nntpext)  o Common NNTP Extensions
                  <draft-ietf-nntpext-imp-03.txt>
     (secsh)    o SSH Protocol Architecture
                  <draft-ietf-secsh-architecture-02.txt>
     (ldapext)  o Access Control Requirements for LDAP
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-acl-reqts-01.txt>
     (urlreg)   o Guidelines for new URL Schemes
                  <draft-ietf-urlreg-guide-03.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the
                  Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v2-01.txt>
     (iesg)     o Advancement of MIB specifications on the IETF
                  Standards Track <draft-iesg-odell-mibtest-01.txt>
     (smime)    o Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME
                  <draft-ietf-smime-ess-07.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Service Location Protocol, Version 2
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-protocol-v2-08.txt>
     (none)     o Gateways and MIME Security Multiparts
                  <draft-freed-gatesec-02.txt>
     (none)     o One Pass Multipart/Alternative Processing
                  <draft-lundblade-1pass-mult-alt-01.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 10]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (idmr)     o Domain Wide Multicast Group Membership Reports
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-membership-reports-01.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   o PPP over SONET/SDH
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-sonet-ds-01.txt>
     (conneg)   o Media Features for Display, Print, and Fax
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-media-features-01.txt>
     (ngtrans)  o Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers
                  <draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-01.txt>
     (smime)    o S/MIME Version 3 Message Specification
                  <draft-ietf-smime-msg-05.txt>
     (smime)    o S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
                  <draft-ietf-smime-cert-05.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP with Framing Conversion
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-conversion-01.txt>
     (dhc)      o DHCP Failover Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-failover-02.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP in Frame Relay
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-framerelay-ds-01.txt>
     (ippm)     o IPPM Metrics for Measuring Connectivity
                  <draft-ietf-ippm-connectivity-02.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP in X.25 <draft-ietf-pppext-x25-ds-01.txt>
     (avt)      o RTP Payload Format for JPEG-compressed Video
                  <draft-ietf-avt-jpeg-new-02.txt,.ps>
     (none)     o GSS Algorithm for TSIG (GSS-TSIG)
                  <draft-skwan-gss-tsig-02.txt>
     (http)     o HTTP Authentication: Basic and Digest Access
                  Authentication
                  <draft-ietf-http-authentication-02.txt>
     (malloc)   o The Multicast Address Set Claim (MASC) Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-malloc-masc-01.txt>
     (manet)    o Ad Hoc On Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing
                  <draft-ietf-manet-aodv-01.txt>
     (tcpsat)   o Ongoing TCP Research Related to Satellites
                  <draft-ietf-tcpsat-res-issues-04.txt>
     (iab)      o The Case for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-iab-case-for-ipv6-02.txt>
     (manet)    o Temporally-Ordered Routing Algorithm (TORA) Version
                  1 Functional Specification
                  <draft-ietf-manet-tora-spec-01.txt>
     (manet)    o An Internet MANET Encapsulation Protocol (IMEP)
                  Specification <draft-ietf-manet-imep-spec-01.txt>
     (calsch)   o CAP Requirements <draft-ietf-calsch-capreq-01.txt>
     (calsch)   o ICalendar Real-time Interoperability Protocol
                  (IRIP) <draft-ietf-calsch-irip-01.txt>
     (ldapext)  o Persistent Search: A Simple LDAP Change
                  Notification Mechanism
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-psearch-01.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 11]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (ldapext)  o LDAPv3 Triggered Search Control
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-trigger-01.txt>
     (none)     o The Batch SMTP Media Type
                  <draft-freed-bsmtp-01.txt>
     (none)     o BGP Security Analysis
                  <draft-murphy-bgp-secr-01.txt>
     (mboned)   o Multicast-Scope Zone Announcement Protocol (MZAP)
                  <draft-ietf-mboned-mzap-01.txt>
     (ngtrans)  o Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation
                  (NAT-PT] <draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-02.txt>
     (mpls)     o Use of Label Switching on Frame Relay Networks
                  Specification <draft-ietf-mpls-fr-01.txt>
     (disman)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling
                  Management Operations
                  <draft-ietf-disman-schedule-mib-05.txt>
     (avt)      o RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time
                  Applications <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-01.txt,.ps>
     (schema)   o MIME Directory Profile for LDAP Schema
                  <draft-ietf-schema-ldap-01.txt>
     (none)     o PGM Reliable Transport Protocol Specification
                  <draft-speakman-pgm-spec-02.txt>
     (rap)      o The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-rap-cops-02.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of
                  the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-usm-v2-01.txt>
     (mpls)     o VCID Notification over ATM link
                  <draft-ietf-mpls-vcid-atm-01.txt>
     (none)     o POP3 Extension Mechanism
                  <draft-gellens-pop3ext-07.txt>
     (mpls)     o Carrying Label Information in BGP-4
                  <draft-ietf-mpls-bgp4-mpls-01.txt>
     (dnsind)   o A New Scheme for the Compression of Domain Names
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-local-compression-02.txt>
     (printmib) o Printer Finishing MIB
                  <draft-ietf-printmib-finishing-04.txt>
     (tcpimpl)  o Simulation Studies of Increased Initial TCP Window
                  Size <draft-ietf-tcpimpl-poduri-02.txt>
     (nntpext)  o An NNTP Extension for Dynamic Feed Adjustment
                  <draft-court-dynfeed-01.txt>
     (mboned)   o IP Multicast and Firewalls
                  <draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-firewall-01.txt>
     (none)     o Hyper Text Caching Protocol (HTCP/0.0)
                  <draft-vixie-htcp-proto-02.txt>
     (dnsind)   o Extensions to DNS (EDNS)
                  <draft-ietf-dnsind-edns-03.txt>
     (ldapext)  o LDAP Control Extension for Server Side Sorting of
                  Search Results <draft-ietf-ldapext-sorting-01.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 12]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (conneg)   o An algebra for describing media feature sets
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-feature-algebra-03.txt>
     (urlreg)   o Registration Procedures for URL Scheme Names
                  <draft-ietf-urlreg-procedures-03.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Certificate Management Messages over
                  CMS <draft-ietf-pkix-cmc-01.txt>
     (none)     o IGMP Extension for Authentication of IP Multicast
                  Senders and Receivers
                  <draft-ishikawa-igmp-auth-01.txt>
     (iab)      o Architectural Implications of NAT
                  <draft-iab-nat-implications-01.txt>
     (none)     o An Abstract API for Multicast Address Allocation
                  <draft-ietf-malloc-api-03.txt>
     (fax)      o Extended Facsimile Using Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-eifax-03.txt>
     (adslmib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for the ADSL Lines
                  <draft-ietf-adslmib-adsllinemib-01.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o DNS Extension to Support IP Version 6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-01.txt>
     (ldapext)  o The C LDAP Application Program Interface
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-01.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure LDAPv2
                  Schema <draft-ietf-pkix-ldapv2-schema-01.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP LCP Language and Character Set Configuration
                  Option <draft-ietf-pppext-lcp-charset-02.txt>
     (bridge)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with
                  Traffic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual
                  LAN Extensions <draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-01.txt>
     (none)     o VPN Point to Multipoint Tunnel Protocol (VPMT)
                  <draft-pegrum-vmmt-01.txt>
     (none)     o Nothing Other Than A Simple Internet Phone
                  (NOTASIP) <draft-ohta-notasip-02.txt>
     (none)     o RTP Payload Format for PureVoice(tm) Audio
                  <draft-mckay-qcelp-01.txt>
     (disman)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote
                  Operations Using SMIv2
                  <draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-01.txt>
     (pkix)     o Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure ENHANCED
                  CRL DISTRIBUTION OPTIONS
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ocdp-01.txt>
     (none)     o SDP URL Scheme <draft-fujikawa-sdp-url-01.txt>
     (none)     o Requirements for Simple Workflow Access Protocol
                  <draft-sreddy-swap-requirements-01.txt>
     (ldapext)  o Signed Directory Operations Using S/MIME
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-sigops-02.txt>
     (diffserv) o Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS
                  Byte) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-header-02.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 13]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (none)     o NFS version 4 Strawman <draft-shepler-nfsv4-02.txt>
     (none)     o List-Id: A Structured Field and Namespace for the
                  Identification of Mailing Lists
                  <draft-chandhok-listid-01.txt>
     (diffserv) o An Architecture for Differentiated Services
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-arch-01.txt>
     (idr)      o Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4
                  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-multiprotocol-v2-01.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard
                  Network Management Framework
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-intro-01.txt>
     (none)     o SS7-Internet Interworking - Architectural Framework
                  <draft-greene-ss7-arch-frame-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Extensions to Message Disposition Notifications for
                  Reporting on Multipart/Alternative Messages
                  <draft-ietf-fax-mdn-multipart-01.txt>
     (none)     + IPDC Base Protocol <draft-taylor-ipdc-00.txt>
     (manet)    + Cluster Based Routing Protocol(CBRP) Functional
                  Specification <draft-ietf-manet-cbrp-spec-00.txt>
     (dhc)      + DHCP Option to Disable Stateless Auto-Configuration
                  in IPv4 Clients <draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-00.txt>
     (none)     + DIAMETER Mobile IP Extensions
                  <draft-calhoun-diameter-mobileip-00.txt>
     (none)     + IPDC Media Control Protocol
                  <draft-elliott-ipdc-media-00.txt>
     (snmpv3)   + View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for the
                  Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-vacm-00.txt>
     (none)     + Assured Forwarding PHB Group
                  <draft-heinanen-diffserv-af-00.txt>
     (none)     + XDR Extensions <draft-davis-xdr-ext-00.txt>
     (fax)      o Fax Offramp Extensions to DSN and MDN
                  <draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-01.txt>
     (ipcdn)    + Telephony-Return Interface (TRI) Management
                  Information Base for DOCSIS-compliant
                  Telephony-Return Cable Modems and Cable Modem
                  Termination Systems
                  <draft-ietf-ipcdn-tri-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + HTTP-ng Architectural Model
                  <draft-frystyk-httpng-arch-00.txt>
     (none)     + Simple Workflow Access Protocol (SWAP)
                  <draft-swenson-swap-prot-00.txt>
     (pppext)   + Applicability Statement for PPP over SONET/SDH
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-sonet-as-00.txt>
     (none)     + w3ng: Binary Wire Protocol for HTTP-ng
                  <draft-janssen-httpng-wire-00.txt>
     (none)     + The WebMUX Protocol <draft-gettys-webmux-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 14]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (none)     + HTTP-NG Web Interfaces
                  <draft-larner-nginterfaces-00.txt>
     (none)     + Proxy Mail Address Protocol
                  <draft-rfced-exp-coulter-00.txt>
     (madman)   + Network Services Monitoring MIB
                  <draft-ietf-madman-netsm-mib-00.txt>
     (diffserv) + Management of PHBs
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-phb-mgmt-00.txt>
     (none)     + Proxy Mail Address Protocol
                  <draft-coulter-pmap-00.txt>
     (none)     + Loss Metrics of Grouped Packets for IPPM
                  <draft-ono-group-loss-00.txt>
     (none)     + Framework for IP Multicast in MPLS
                  <draft-ooms-mpls-multicast-00.txt>
     (none)     + DES Applicability Statement for Historic Status
                  <draft-simpson-des-as-00.txt>
     (none)     + Reliable Signaling Gateway Protocol (RSGP)
                  <draft-ong-rsgp-ss7-info-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + A Framework for Group Key Management for Multicast
                  Security <draft-ietf-ipsec-gkmframework-00.txt>
     (pim)      + Protocol Independent Multicast Version 2 Dense Mode
                  Specification <draft-ietf-pim-v2-dm-00.txt>
     (none)     + PPP in Ether-like Framing
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-ether-00.txt>
     (idmr)     + DVMRPv1 Applicability Statement for Historic Status
                  <draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v1-as-00.txt>
     (hubmib)   + Definitions of Managed Objects for the
                  Ethernet-like Interface Types
                  <draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v2-00.txt>
     (none)     + IPDC Connection Control Protocol
                  <draft-dugan-ipdc-connection-00.txt>
     (snmpv3)   + An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management
                  Frameworks <draft-ietf-snmpv3-arch-00.txt>
     (ipp)      + Internet Printing Protocol Scheme
                  <draft-ietf-ipp-ipp-scheme-00.txt>
     (entmib)   + Entity MIB using SMIv2 (Version 2)
                  <draft-ietf-entmib-v2-00.txt>
     (none)     + Reverse Network Address Translators (RAT)
                  <draft-teoyeow-mip-rat-00.txt>
     (none)     + SOCKSv5 Protocol Extensions for IPv6/IPv4
                  Communication Environment
                  <draft-kitamura-socks-ipv6-00.txt>
     (urlreg)   + Some Alternatives to
                  draft-ietf-urlreg-procedures-03
                  <draft-ietf-urlreg-alternatives-00.txt>
     (none)     + Internet Cache Protocol Extension
                  <draft-lovric-icp-ext-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 15]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (none)     + PKCS 1: RSA Cryptography Specifications
                  <draft-kaliski-pkcs-pkcs1v2-00.txt>
     (none)     + IPDC Device Management Protocol
                  <draft-bell-ipdc-signaling-00.txt>
     (none)     + MPLS Mappings of Generic VPN Mechanisms
                  <draft-heinanen-generic-vpn-mpls-00.txt>
     (drums)    + Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF
                  <draft-ietf-drums-abnf-v2-00.txt>
     (dnssec)   + Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Dynamic Update
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-update2-00.txt>
     (none)     + Address utilization in the MASC/BGMP architecture
                  <draft-phillips-malloc-util-00.txt>
     (tcpimpl)  + TCP Congestion Control
                  <draft-ietf-tcpimpl-cong-control-00.txt>
     (dnssec)   + Intermediate Security Failures in DNSSEC
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-secfail-00.txt>
     (none)     + IDentity Infrastructure Protocol (IDIP)
                  <draft-fujimoto-idip-00.txt>
     (none)     + Extensions to RSVP for Traffic Engineering
                  <draft-swallow-mpls-rsvp-trafeng-00.txt>
     (none)     + Mobile IP Public Key Based Authentication
                  <draft-jacobs-mobileip-pki-auth-00.txt>
     (none)     + The MIME application/nntp8bit Content-type
                  <draft-codogno-mime-nntp8bit-00.txt>
     (none)     + Deliver By SMTP Service Extension
                  <draft-newman-deliver-00.txt>
     (iptel)    + Call Processing Language Requirements
                  <draft-ietf-iptel-cpl-requirements-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Requirements for Internet-Scale Accounting
                  Management <draft-arkko-acctreq-00.txt>
     (none)     + Introduction to Accounting Management
                  <draft-aboba-acct-00.txt>
     (iesg)     + On the use of HTTP as a Substrate for Other
                  Protocols <draft-iesg-using-http-00.txt>
     (pppext)   + L2TP Over AAL5 and FUNI
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-l2tp-atm-00.txt>
     (none)     + AMRoute: Adhoc Multicast Routing Protocol
                  <draft-talpade-manet-amroute-00.txt>
     (ipfc)     + Fibre Channel Interconnect MIB
                  <draft-ietf-ipfc-interconnect-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + Similarities and Differences between SWAP and IPP
                  <draft-swenson-swap-vs-ipp-00.txt>
     (ipngwg)   + The IPv6 Jumbo Payload Option
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-jumbo-00.txt>
     (none)     + Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): Schema
                  for Domain Name System (DNS)
                  <draft-miller-dns-ldap-schema-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 16]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (none)     + PPP Over Ethernet 'PPPOE'
                  <draft-carrel-info-pppoe-00.txt>
     (none)     + Network Access Server Requirements Next Generation
                  (NASREQNG) Operational Model
                  <draft-mitton-nasreqng-model-00.txt>
     (none)     + MATE: MPLS Adaptive Traffic Engineering
                  <draft-widjaja-mpls-mate-00.txt>
     (mpls)     o LDP Specification <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-01.txt>
     (nat)      + Implications of NATs on the TCP/IP architecture
                  <draft-ietf-nat-arch-implications-00.txt>
     (snmpv3)   + SNMPv3 Applications
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-appl-v2-00.txt>
     (none)     + The TEXT/PLAIN FORMAT Parameter
                  <draft-gellens-format-00.txt>
     (none)     + INTERNET KERMIT SERVICE
                  <draft-columbia-kermit-service-00.txt>
     (none)     + TELNET KERMIT OPTION
                  <draft-altman-telnet-kermit-server-00.txt>
     (none)     + MPLS Ships in the Night Operation with ATM
                  <draft-jamoussi-mpls-sin-00.txt>
     (mpls)     + Definitions of Managed Objects for the
                  Multiprotocol Label Switching, Label Distribution
                  Protocol (LDP) <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-mib-00.txt>
     (pint)     + The PINT Profile of SIP and SDP: a Protocol for IP
                  Access to Telephone Call Services
                  <draft-ietf-pint-profile-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Internet Routing Registry MIB
                  <draft-mansfield-irr-mib-00.txt>
     (pim)      + Protocol Independent Multicast Routing in the
                  Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)
                  <draft-ietf-pim-ipv6-00.txt>
     (none)     + Management Information Base
                  <draft-kajos-hmultimediamib-00.txt>
     (snmpv3)   + Coexistence between Version 1, Version 2, and
                  Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network
                  Management Framework
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-coex-00.txt>
     (none)     + Wireless Networking for the MNCRS
                  <draft-montenegro-mncrs-00.txt>
     (nat)      + IP Network Address Translator (NAT) Protocol
                  Issues. <draft-ietf-nat-protocol-issues-00.txt>
     (malloc)   + Multicast address allocation based on the Dynamic
                  Host Configuration Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-malloc-mdhcp-00.txt>
     (bmwg)     + Benchmarking Methodology for LAN Switching Devices
                  <draft-ietf-bmwg-mswitch-00.txt>
     (none)     + PGP authentication for RIPE database updates
                  <draft-zsako-ripe-dbsec-pgp-authent-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 17]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (none)     + MPLS VPN Architecture
                  <draft-jamieson-mpls-vpn-00.txt>
     (fax)      + Expressing Fax Capabilities in Internet Protocols
                  <draft-ietf-fax-t30-capabilities-00.txt>
     (none)     + Simplified Call Control Protocol - Etheric
                  <draft-toivanen-sccp-etheric-00.txt>
     (none)     + MPLS-VNS Interworking
                  <draft-jamoussi-mpls-vns-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Network Access Server
                  <draft-beadles-nas-00.txt>
     (webdav)   + WebDAV Access Control Goals
                  <draft-ietf-webdav-acl-reqts-00.txt>
     (none)     + Layer Two Tunnelling Protocol : ATM access
                  extensions.
                  <draft-tjoens-pppext-l2tp-atmext-00.txt>
     (none)     + Preliminary Simulation Evaluation of an Assured
                  Service <draft-ibanez-diffserv-assured-eval-00.txt>
     (none)     + MULTI_NETWORK DATAGRAM TRANSMISSION PROTOCOL
                  <draft-stewart-xie-mdtp-00.txt>
     (none)     + Versioning Extensions to WebDAV
                  <draft-kaler-webdav-versioning-00.txt>
     (none)     + RSVP Extensions for IPv6 Flow Label Support
                  <draft-schmid-rsvp-fl-00.txt>
     (none)     + MDN profile for IMAP
                  <draft-melnikov-imap-mdn-00.txt>
     (none)     + ACAP Mailbox Dataset Class
                  <draft-greenfield-acap-mbox-00.txt>
     (avt)      + RTP Payload for Redundant Audio Data
                  <draft-ietf-avt-redundancy-revised-00.txt>
     (none)     + Modifications to OCBT for Static Multicast
                  <draft-sola-ocbt-static-multicast-00.txt>
     (none)     + Structure of Management Information Version 2
                  (SMIv2) <draft-kzm-smiv2-smi-00.txt>
     (none)     + Textual Conventions for SMIv2
                  <draft-kzm-smiv2-tc-00.txt>
     (none)     + Conformance Statements for SMIv2
                  <draft-kzm-smiv2-conf-00.txt>
     (mmusic)   + A Message Bus for Conferencing Systems
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-mbus-transport-00.txt,.ps>
     (ipngwg)   + Reserved IPv6 Subnet Anycast Addresses
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-resv-anycast-00.txt>
     (none)     + A Design for Simple, Low-Overhead Multicast
                  <draft-perlman-simple-multicast-00.txt>
     (cat)      + Access Control Framework for Distributed
                  Applications <draft-ietf-cat-acc-cntrl-frmw-00.txt>
     (none)     + PIP-DEMO: An Interoperable Presence Information
                  Protocol <draft-mohr-pip-pipdemo-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 18]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (diffserv) + An Expedited Forwarding PHB
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-phb-ef-00.txt>
     (cat)      + Generic Security Service API Version 2 : Java
                  bindings <draft-ietf-cat-gssv2-javabind-00.txt>
     (none)     + Integrating SDP Functionality Into SMIL
                  <draft-hoschka-smilsdp-00.txt>
     (none)     + Modifications to PIM-SM for Static Multicast
                  <draft-sola-pim-static-multicast-00.txt>
     (none)     + Packet over Sonet/SDH
                  <draft-narten-packet-over-sonet-00.txt>
     (rap)      + COPS Usage for Differentiated Services
                  <draft-ietf-rap-cops-ds-00.txt>
     (none)     + The KeyNote Trust-Management System
                  <draft-blaze-trustmgt-keynote-00.txt>
     (avt)      + Issues with RTP Sampling
                  <draft-ietf-avt-rtpsample-00.txt,.ps>
     (cat)      + Generic Authorization and Access control
                  Application Program Interface C-bindings
                  <draft-ietf-cat-gaa-cbind-00.txt>
     (none)     + SCRAPI - A Simple 'Bare Bones' API for RSVP
                  <draft-lindell-rsvp-scrapi-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Presence Information Protocol Requirements
                  <draft-aggarwal-pip-reqts-00.txt>
     (none)     + UNITE: An Architecture for Lightweight Signaling
                  <draft-ramakrishnan-mpls-unite-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Terminology for describing network policy and
                  services <draft-strassner-policy-terms-00.txt>
     (none)     + An LDAP Schema for Dynamic Host Configuration
                  Protocol Service <draft-gu-dhcp-ldap-schema-00.txt>
     (none)     + Routing Policy Configuration Language (RPCL)
                  <draft-ardas-rpcl-00.txt>
     (snmpv3)   + Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple
                  Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-mpc-00.txt>
     (none)     + Aggregation of Internet Integrated Services State
                  <draft-berson-rsvp-aggregation-00.txt,.ps>
     (ipcdn)    + Cable Device IGMP Proxy MIB for DOCSIS compliant
                  Cable Modems
                  <draft-ietf-ipcdn-igmp-proxy-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + PPP Over SONET Applicability Statement for Historic
                  Status
                  <draft-narten-ppp-over-sonet-to-historic-00.txt>
     (ipcdn)    + Data Over Cable System Quality of Service
                  Management Information Base (DOCSIS-QOS MIB)
                  <draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-00.txt>
     (cat)      + The Kerberos Version 5 GSSAPI Mechanism, Version 2
                  <draft-ietf-cat-krb5gss-mech2-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 19]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     (dhc)      + DHCP Option for User Authentication Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-options-uap-00.txt>
     (none)     + IPDC Device Management Protocol
                  <draft-pickett-ipdc-management-00.txt>
     (none)     + Definition of the LZJU90 MIME Content Transfer
                  Encoding Type <draft-costanzo-lzju90-mime-00.txt>
     (none)     + Creating File System Object Attachments with MIME
                  <draft-costanzo-fs-mime-00.txt>
     (none)     + Anti-UBE and Anti-UCE Keywords in SMTP Banners
                  <draft-hoffman-legis-smtp-banner-00.txt>
     (none)     + ACK Spacing for High Delay-Bandwidth Paths with
                  Insufficient Buffering
                  <draft-rfced-info-partridge-00.txt>
     (avt)      + User Multiplexing in RTP payload between IP
                  Telephony Gateways <draft-ietf-avt-mux-rtp-00.txt>
     (none)     + Definitions of Managed Objects for Service Level
                  Agreements Performance Monitoring
                  <draft-white-slapm-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + ISAKMP Key Recovery Extensions
                  <draft-rfced-exp-markham-00.txt>

  7. 16 RFCs were published during this period:

     RFC2379 B  (issll)   RSVP over ATM Implementation Guidelines
     RFC2380 PS (issll)   RSVP over ATM Implementation Requirements
     RFC2381 PS (issll)   Interoperation of Controlled-Load Service
                          and Guaranteed Service with ATM
     RFC2382 I  (issll)   A Framework for Integrated Services and
                          RSVP over ATM
     RFC2383 I  (none)    ST2+ over ATM Protocol Specification - UNI
                          3.1 Version
     RFC2384 PS (none)    POP URL Scheme
     RFC2385 PS (idr)     Protection of BGP Sessions via the TCP MD5
                          Signature Option
     RFC2386 I  (qosr)    A Framework for QoS-based Routing in the
                          Internet
     RFC2387 PS (mhtml)   The MIME Multipart/Related Content-type
     RFC2388 PS (none)    Returning Values from Forms:
                          multipart/form-data
     RFC2389 PS (ftpext)  Feature negotiation mechanism for the File
                          Transfer Protocol
     RFC2391 I  (none)    Load Sharing using IP Network Address
                          Translation (LSNAT)
     RFC2392 PS (mhtml)   Content-ID and Message-ID Uniform Resource
                          Locators
     RFC2396 DS (none)    Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic
                          Syntax

Ramos                                                          [Page 20]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     RFC2397 PS (none)    The 'data' URL scheme
     RFC2398 I  (tcpimpl) Some Testing Tools for TCP Implementors

Ramos                                                          [Page 21]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

INTERNET PROJECTS
-----------------

INTERNIC
--------

     NETWORK SOLUTIONS REPORT

     ******************************************************
     *       gopher sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:        0
     Retrievals:        0
     ******************************************************
     *        wais sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     Retrievals: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     ******************************************************
     *        whois sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Client Queries:  28497840
     Server Queries:  49318145
     ******************************************************
     *         ftp sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   104171
     Retrievals:   156046
     ******************************************************
     *      telnet sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   155536
     ******************************************************
     *       mailserver sessions                          *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:        0
     ******************************************************
     *       http sessions                                *
     ******************************************************
     Retrievals:  30652380
     ops%
     Phones: 68,811
     Emails : 898,647
     Updates: 260,091

     by Ricardo A. Gonzalez <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 22]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

   THE US DOMAIN REGISTRY

   The US Domain registration information is available online at
   http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

   Much of the processing of the requests to the third level domain name
   is now automated. In particular, most requests to register names in
   localities already delegated are automatically forwarded to the
   administrator of that locality.

   US DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
   ====================================

           EMAIL/FAX            3177
           PHONE                 180
           ----------------------------
           Total Contacts       3357

           DELEGATIONS:           66
           FORWARDED REQUESTS:  1537
           OTHER US DOMAIN MSGS:1754
           ---------------------------
           Total                3357

   OTHER US DOMAIN MESSAGES include referrals to other subdomains or
   to/from the InterNic, phone calls, modifications, application
   requests, discussion and clarification of the requests, questions
   about names, resolving technical problems with zone files and name
   servers, and whois listings.

   MAJOR SUBDOMAINS DELEGATED
   ==========================

   K12     CC      TEC     STATE   LIB     MUS     GEN     DST     COG
   ===================================================================
   51      40      36      48      43      25      29      10      6
   ===================================================================

Ramos                                                          [Page 23]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

   THIRD LEVEL DELEGATIONS
   ========================

   LOCALITIES
   ==========

   UNIVERSITY-PARK.PA.US.
   SAN-BENITO.CA.US.
   ONEONTA.NY.US.
   LIB.AL.US.

   OTHER US DOMAIN DELEGATIONS THIS MONTH
   ======================================

   2PROGRESS.TAMPA.FL.US.                  CI.MOUNT-VERNON.IA.US.
   CI.GLASGOW.MT.US.                       OCF.VENETA.OR.US.
   PIC.KITSAP.WA.US.                       TANRU.LEAVENWORTH.KS.US.
   EZMAIL.LACKAWANNA.PA.US.                CI.JENKINS.KY.US.
   SALINAS.LIB.CA.US.                      TRIPWIRE.RICHMOND.CA.US.
   CI.ARLINGTON.MN.US.                     TOWN.WATERFORD.WI.US.
   CLU.THOUSAND-OAKS.CA.US.                RIVERLODGE.FORTUNA.CA.US.
   CLC.THOUSAND-OAKS.CA.US.                CI.AMERICAN-CANYON.CA.US.
   SOUTHERN.HUMBOLDT.CA.US.                CI.SALINE.MI.US.
   SCRUGGS.ASHBURN.VA.US.                  CO.DUCHESNE.UT.US.
   CI.SAGINAW.TX.US.                       CITY-HALL.CI.SAN-JUAN.TX.US.
   SHERIFF.CO.DAWSON.NE.US.                4999.LIB.CA.US.
   CI.CUCAMONGA.CA.US.                     UID0.LAS-VEGAS.NV.US.
   CI.ETIWANDA.CA.US.                      VIL.BENTLEYVILLE.OH.US.
   CI.ALTA-LOMA.CA.US.                     CI.ROCK-HILL.MO.US.
   CO.OSCEOLA.FL.US.                       COLONIALBEACH.K12.VA.US.
   CO.WAUPACA.WI.US.                       VILLAGE.PORT-JEFFERSON.NY.US.
   SYLWESTER.TUOLUMNE.CA.US.               CI.LYNCH.NE.US.
   VI.HOLLY.MI.US.                         MUN.BETHEL-PARK.PA.US.
   CI.WAUSA.NE.US.                         WEBIMAGING.TEMPLE-CITY.CA.US.
   GAMMANET.TEMPLE-CITY.CA.US.             JULES.LARGO.FL.US.
   CE.DIABLO.CA.US.                        CO.CHIPPEWA.WI.US.
   CI.FINDLAY.OH.US.                       CI.ELYRIA.OH.US.
   CI.TURLOCK.CA.US.                       CO.WESTMORELAND.VA.US.
   TOWNSHIP.READINGTON.NJ.US.              CI.WESTMINSTER.CA.US.
   CO.BRADFORD.FL.US.                      CI.BOW.NH.US.
   CHANCE.MERLIN.OR.US.                    CI.CLEVELAND.NC.US.
   CI.NORTH-SALT-LAKE.UT.US.               ACA.AMORY.MS.US.
   CRYSTAL-RIDGE.TUKWILA.WA.US.            CI.HALLANDALE.FL.US.
   CAROLINE.K12.VA.US.                     CO.FREMONT.ID.US.
   IN.WAUCONDA.IL.US.                      CI.MOUNT-ANGEL.OR.US.

Ramos                                                          [Page 24]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

   URL: http://www.isi.edu/us-domain/

   Sungita Patel <[email-masked]>

MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING
--------------------------

     This report summarizes August 1998 activities of Merit's Internet
     Engineering group.

     The latest public release of the Multi-Threaded Routing Toolkit,
     MRT-1.4.9, is stable and now serves as the production IPv6 software
     for a growing segment of the 6bone.  The new version adds support
     for RIP version 2 and includes several bug fixes.  The code and
     updated editions of the MRT Installation Guide, User/Configuration
     Guide, and Programmer's Guide are available on the Merit Web pages:

                          http://www.merit.edu/mrt/

     At the 42nd IETF in Chicago, Jerry Winters gave a presentation to
     the Routing Policy System Working Group on "Implementing Routing
     Policy Specification Language (RPSL) in IRRd."  IRRd, Merit's new
     stand-alone routing registry database and address allocation
     server, supports both RIPE-181 and RPSL whois and RAToolSet
     queries, as well as database management tasks, including mirroring
     and object submission.  We encourage IRRd fans to check the online
     IRRd Manual frequently, as it is updated often to reflect
     modifications to the software:

                       http://www.merit.edu/radb/irrd/

     Also at IETF, Sue Hares chaired the Inter-Domain Routing Working
     Group session and hosted an informational GateD meeting.  The GateD
     session included technical briefings, status reports, and
     administrative updates from Merit GateD staff members Bill Siadak,
     Al Rubens, Linda Place, Shane Wright, Chris Richardson, and Chris
     Hopps.  Hares is Director of the Merit GateD Consortium.

     by Susan R. Harris <[email-masked]>

UCL
----

     Perkins, White, Kausar and Kirstein attended the Chicago IETF and
     helped contribute to some lively working groups - AVT, IDMR and
     others

     J Crowcroft attended ACM SIGCOMM in Vancouver.

Ramos                                                          [Page 25]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     New releases of the shrimp toolset were made avaialble - see
     http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/ for details

     by John Crowcroft <[email-masked]>

IANA REPORT
-----------

     Ethernet Numbers of Interest                    1
     MIME Media Types                                3
     Multicast Addresses: Individual Assignments     5
     Multicast Addresses: Blocks                     2
     Private Enterprise Numbers                      89
     Port Numbers                                    53
     SMI Numbers                                     1
     SOCKS Methods                                   1
     Telnet Options                                  1

     by Josh Elliott <[email-masked]>

RFC EDITOR REPORT
-----------------

     This is a summary of Request for Comments Editor activity for the
     month of August, 1998:

                                  TIME IN QUEUE
     DOCUMENTS        New*   30 days     60 days      90 days      TOTAL
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     Beginning of       0       19          7           11        | 37
     month                                                        |
                                                                  |
     New               39        0          0            0        | 39
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
     Processed          3       14          1            4        | 22
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     End of month      36        5          6            7        | 54

     * New RFCs added to queue throughout the month

     The Requests for Comments (RFCs) are a series of notes, started in
     1969, about the Internet (originally the ARPANET). The notes
     discuss many aspects of computing and computer communication
     focusing in networking protocols, procedures, programs, and
     concepts, but also including meeting notes, opinion, and sometimes

Ramos                                                          [Page 26]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

     humor. The specification documents of the Internet protocol suite,
     as defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its
     steering group (the IESG), are published as RFCs.

     RFCs-to-be are edited by the RFC Editor.  RFCs enter the RFC
     Editor's work queue either by an action of the IESG or by
     independent submission.  Most independent submissions are referred
     to the IESG to check for overlap with IETF work.  The IESG might
     put a hold on a document to gather more input from its members.
     The wait for an RFC to be published varies as there can be
     unforeseen complications (typically editorial matters that need
     clarification from the author).  Documents can be removed from the
     publication queue if they are found to be insufficient or incorrect
     or if the IESG asks the author to join work already in progress in
     the IETF.

     by Alegre Ramos <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 27]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

CALENDAR
--------

Last update 9/25/98

The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat as a
means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are requested to
send in dates of events that are appropriate for this calendar section.
Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to:

                      <[email-masked]>

Please note: The Secretariat does not maintain on-line information for
the events listed below.

A copy of this calendar is available as follows:

VIA FTP
-------
IETF Information is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

        Northern Europe Address:   ftp.nordu.net (192.36.148.198)
        Southern Europe Address:   ftp.nis.garr.it (193.205.245.10)
        Pacific Rim Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)
        Africa Address:       ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.12)
        West Coast Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)
        US East Coast Address:  ftp.ietf.org

cd ietf
ls *0mtg*

WWW
-------
<http://www.ietf.org/home.html> Click on the link for "meetings" and
you should find an entry "listing of other Internet related events".

************************************************************************

1998
-----------

Oct. 4-9          ATM Forum                       Gold Coast, Australia
Oct. 6-8          NetWorld+Interop 98 Earls Court London, England
Oct. 5-8          TERENA (host by DFN) TNC'98     Dresden, Germany
Oct. 13-16        Intl Conf on Netw Protocols     Austin, TX
Oct 19-23         NetWorld+Interop 98 Atlanta     Atlanta, GA

Ramos                                                          [Page 28]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

Oct 19-23         CommUnity                       Atlanta, GA
Oct 20-22         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Oct 21-23         Networld+Interop '98            Atlanta, GA
Oct 25-30         MobiCom'98  4th Annual
                   ACM/IEEE                       Dallas, TX
Nov. 2-5          5th ACM Conf. on Computer &
                   Communications Security        San Francisco, CA
Nov. 2-6          NetWorld+Interop 98 Paris       Paris, France
Nov. 3-6          NetWorld+Interop 98 Brazil      Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nov. 8-10         NANOG 14                        Atlanta, GA
Nov. 9-13         IEEE 802 Plenary                Albuquerque, NM
Nov 24-26         Networld+Interop 98 Syndney     Sydney, Australia
Nov 25            TERENA Executive Committe       Amsterdam
Nov. 29-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Nashville, TN
Dec. 6-11         12th Systems Administration Conf.
                    (LISA '98)                    Boston, MA
Dec. 7-11         43rd IETF                       Orlando, FL

1999
-----
Feb. 7-13         ATM Forum                       Atlanta, GA
Feb. 22-25        USENIX - 3rd Sym. on
                   Oper. Sys Design and
                   Implementation (OSDI '99)      New Orleans, LA
Feb 23-25         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Mar/April         44th IETF (tentative)           TBA
Mar. 8-9          Electronic Payments Forum       San Francisco, CA
Mar. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Austin
Mar. 24-Apr 1     ITU Fax Standards Meeting       Geneva, Switzerland
Mar. 24-29        Electronic Messaging Assoc.
                  EMA '99                         Geneva, Switzerland
Apr. 5-9          Networld+Interop 99             Singapore
Apr. 18-24        ATM Forum                       Rome, Italy
Apr. 26-27        Ninth Int'l Packet Video Wrkshp New York, NY
May 10-14         IFIP/IEEE Int'l Symposium on
                   Integrated Network Mgmt        Boston, MA
May 11-14         Networld+Interop '99            Las Vegas, NV
May 11-May 14     8th International World Wide Web
                     Conference                   Toronto, Canada
May 31-Jun 4      Networld+Interop 99             Tokyo, Japan
Jun 4-6           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jul 5-9           IEEE 802                        Montreal, Canada
Jul 12-16         45th IETF                       Oslo, Norway
Jul. 18-24        ATM Forum                       New Orleans, LA
late Aug          SIGCOMM '99 (West Coast US)     Boston, tentative
Sep. 21-23         W3C Interest Group Mtg         TBA
Sep. 26-Oct 2     ATM Forum                       Bangkok, Thailand

Ramos                                                          [Page 29]

Internet Monthly Report                                      August 1998

Oct. 8-14         TELECOM '99                     Geneva, Switzerland
Oct. 13-17        Networld+Interop '99            Atlanta, GA
Nov. 3-4          Cross-Industry Working Team (XIWT) Crystal City, VA
Nov. 8-12         46th IETF                       Wash DC
Nov. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Kaui
Nov. 28-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Beverly Hills, CA

2000
----
Mar. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Albuquerque, NM
Mar. 10-14      IEEE 802                          San Diego, CA
MAR 27-31       47th IETF                         Adelaide, Australia
May 9-11        Networld+Interop '00              Las Vegas, NV
late Aug        SIGCOMM 2000                      Europe (tentative)
Sep 25-29       Networld+Interop '00              Atlanta, GA
Nov. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Tampa, FL

The TERENA Calendar for October 1998 may be found on URL:

http://www.terena.nl/news/calendar.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

       TERENA Secretariat

       Singel 466-468
       1017 AW Amsterdam
       the Netherlands

       email <[email-masked]>

       tel: +31 20 530 4488
       fax: +31 20 530 4499

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ramos                                                          [Page 30]