Subject: Fw: IANA Proposal to NTIA

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 19:57:09 -0500

Fred,

The IETF may want to follow along with the recent developments.

With the recent events, people may want to consider
the American Indian Model to better understand what
is going on. Imagine that ALL active users of the
Internet are like American Indians. We now see that
well meaning people are going to enter the scene to
care for the netizens and make sure they are herded
into reservations. I do not think that netizens (Indians)
can expect that any of the people called upon to oversee
these reservations will be drawn from the Indian
population. These people obviously think that we are
too stupid to manage ourselves and the world we live in.
I bet that most of them have never been on a "reservation"
or slept in a teepee. It will be interesting to see them
display their arrogance to tell everyone how to manage
the Internet. Why not sit back and enjoy the show ?

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
0:201 .COM
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
End-2-End: VPC(Java)--<IPv4>--C+@---<IPv8>---C+@--<IPv4>--(Java)VPC
http://www.ddj.com/index/author/idx10133.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, October 02, 1998 7:48 PM
Subject: IANA Proposal to NTIA

>
>Hi.
>
>IANA submitted the following proposal to NTIA today.  The supporting
>documents can be found on the IANA web site.
>
>___________________________________________________________________________
>
>                              October 2, 1998
>
>
>
>Honorable William M. Daley
>Secretary of Commerce
>c/o Karen Rose
>Office of International Affairs
>Room 471
>National Telecommunications and
>   Information Administration
>United States Department of Commerce
>14th and Constitution Avenue, N.W.
>Washington, D.C.  20230
>
>              Re:  Management of Internet Names and Addresses
>
>Dear Secretary Daley:
>
>     On  June  5,  1998,  the  National  Telecommunications and Information
>Administration  ("NTIA") of the United States Department of Commerce issued
>a  policy  statement,  commonly  known  as the "White Paper," in which NTIA
>called  on  private  sector  Internet stakeholders to form a not-for-profit
>corporation  to administer policy for the Internet name and address system.
>Since  that time, people all over the world have been working diligently to
>meet  NTIA's  challenge, and I believe we have now reached that goal.  This
>accomplishment  is  the  result  of an extensive process of discussions and
>negotiations  among  a large number of interested people and organizations.
>The  process has included meetings, conferences, and most appropriately for
>this purpose, extensive use of the Internet.  I am very pleased to say that
>we have reached a successful conclusion.  Enclosed are documents reflecting
>this  consensus,  including  copies  of  the  Articles of Incorporation and
>proposed  Bylaws  for  this  new  non-profit  organization,  which has been
>incorporated  in  California.**While  the  organization  has  been formally
>incorporated,  it  has  not  yet  elected  a  board of directors or adopted
>bylaws, and currently intends to refrain from doing so until the completion
>of  your  review  of  the  enclosed materials.  These documents reflect the
>consensus  judgment  of  the  global Internet community as to how to form a
>corporation  that  will  include the IANA function, and in addition take on
>other  coordination  and  administrative responsibilities necessary for the
>continued operational stability and growth of the Internet.
>
>
>     The  organization that these documents will create is fully responsive
>to  the criteria and specific recommendations set forth in the White Paper.
>In particular:
>
>          Global  Internet  Stakeholder  Consensus.   The White Paper urged
>that  the new corporation's organizers include "representatives of regional
>Internet  number  registries,  Internet  engineers and computer scientists,
>domain   name   registries,   domain   name   registrars,   commercial  and
>noncommercial  users,  Internet  service providers, international trademark
>holders  and Internet experts highly respected throughout the international
>Internet  community."   All  of  those  and  more have participated in this
>process,  and achieving consensus among such a broad group has proven to be
>both an exciting and difficult task.  While there is probably no one who is
>entirely  satisfied  with  the  enclosed  documents,  including myself, the
>essence  of  consensus  is compromise, and it is in that spirit that almost
>all  participants  in  this  process have labored.  IANA's role in this has
>primarily  been as the scribe, recording to the best of our ability what we
>understood  to be the community consensus as it developed.  There have been
>five  iterations of draft documents, each more refined and benefitting from
>comments  and  suggestions  from  throughout  the  community.   These final
>documents  are  the  cumulative reflection of those efforts, and we believe
>that  they  do in fact command the support of a broad consensus of Internet
>stakeholders, private and public.
>
>          Interim  Board.   The White Paper proposed the appointment, on an
>          interim  basis, of a diverse Initial Board of Directors who would
>          serve  for a short period of time, and then could not again serve
>          on  the  Board  for  a fixed period following the election of the
>          first  permanent  Board.   As  was  the  case with respect to the
>          organizational  documents  that  are attached to this submission,
>          recommendations  and  suggestions  for Initial Board members have
>          been  received from around the world.  The following persons, who
>          bring a range of skills and experience that will be invaluable in
>          continuing   the   work   of   creating   this  global  consensus
>          organization, have agreed to serve on the Initial Board:
>
>               --    Geraldine  Capdeboscq,  Executive  Vice  President for
>                    Strategy,  Technology  and  Partnerships,  BULL.   Mrs.
>                    Capdeboscq  has  been  with  BULL  since  1988, serving
>                    previously  as  President  of the Smartcards, Terminals
>                    and Securization Division.
>
>               --    George H. Conrades, Partner, Polaris Venture Partners.
>                    Mr.  Conrades  is the former Chief Executive Officer of
>                    BBN  Corporation,  and most recently GTE Executive Vice
>                    President and President, GTE Internetworking, since the
>                    acquisition  of  BBN  by  GTE  in  July  1997.  He is a
>                    director  of  several  companies,  and a trustee of The
>                    Scripps   Research  Institute  and  the  Committee  for
>                    Economic Development.
>
>               --    Gregory  L.  Crew, Chairman, Australian Communications
>                    Industry  Forum  Ltd.   Mr.  Crew  is  the former Chief
>                    Executive   Officer  of  Mercury  Communications  Ltd.,
>                    Chairman   of  the  Australian  Information  Technology
>                    Engineering   Centre   Ltd.,   and   a  Fellow  of  the
>                    Institution  of  Electrical Engineers.  The ACIF is the
>                    organization established by the communications industry
>                    in Australia to manage its self-regulatory processes.
>
>               --    Esther Dyson, Chairman, EDventure Holdings.  Ms. Dyson
>                    co-chaired   the  United  States  National  Information
>                    Infrastructure Advisory Council Information Privacy and
>                    Intellectual  Property subcommittee, sits on the boards
>                    of  several  business organizations, is a member of the
>                    board  of  the Electronic Freedom Foundation, the Santa
>                    Fe  Institute  and the Institute for East-West Studies,
>                    and  serves  on  the  advisory  board  of  the Software
>                    Entrepreneurs Forum and the Poynter Institute for Media
>                    Studies.   She  is  the author of Release 2.0: A design
>                    for living in the digital age.
>
>               --     Frank   Fitzsimmons,   Senior  Vice  President-Global
>                    Marketing,   Dun   &   Bradstreet   Corporation.    Mr.
>                    Fitzsimmons  has been with Dun & Bradstreet since 1987,
>                    and  is currently responsible for the implementation of
>                    new global marketing initiatives in the areas of access
>                    systems, software, Internet applications and electronic
>                    commerce.
>
>               --    Hans  Kraaijenbrink,  Chairman of the Executive Board,
>                    ETNO (Association of European Public Telecommunications
>                    Network  Operators).   Mr.  Kraaijenbrink  is  Manager,
>                    European  Policy  and  Regulation  for  Royal KPV N.V.,
>                    responsible  for  European and international regulatory
>                    strategic affairs.
>
>               --     Jun   Murai,   Professor,  Faculty  of  Environmental
>                    Information,  Keio University.  Professor Murai is also
>                    the   General  Chairperson  of  the  WIDE  Project  (an
>                    Internet   research  consortium),  President  of  Japan
>                    Network   Information   Centre   (JPNIC),   an  Adjunct
>                    Professor  at the Institute of Advanced Studies, United
>                    Nations  University,  and  a  member  of  the  Board of
>                    Trustees of the Internet Society.
>
>               --    Dr.  Eugenio  Triana,  Internet Management Consultant.
>                    Dr. Triana was formerly Secretary General of Industrial
>                    Promotion  and  Technology  in  the Spanish Ministry of
>                    Industry  and  Energy,  and  President of the Licensing
>                    Executive  Society  (LES-Spain).   He recently left the
>                    European Commission staff, where he was Deputy Director
>                    General  of  DG  XIII, responsible for the Commission's
>                    relations    with    information   and   communications
>                    technology  user  interests and for coordinating policy
>                    for space and satellite development.
>
>               --    Linda  S.  Wilson,  President, Radcliffe College.  Dr.
>                    Wilson  was  previously  Vice President for Research at
>                    the  University of Michigan, and is a charter member of
>                    the       National       Academy      of      Sciences'
>                    Government-University-Industry   Research   Roundtable.
>                    She  is  a  member  of the Institute of Medicine of the
>                    National  Academy  of  Sciences  and  a  fellow  of the
>                    American Association for the Advancement of Science.
>
>          This  distinguished  group  of individuals is both geographically
>          diverse   and  possesses  the  mixture  of  technical  expertise,
>          management experience and consensus-building skills called for by
>          the  White  Paper  and  required  to  move  this process forward.
>          Additional  biographical  information  for  each  of the proposed
>          Initial  Board  members is attached to this submission.  Finally,
>          in  response  to  the  White  Paper,  Article  V.1  of the Bylaws
>          provides  that  the  members  of  the Initial Board may not serve
>          again on the Board until two years have elapsed following the end
>          of their terms.
>
>          Supporting Organizations.  The White Paper suggested that the new
>          corporation could rely on "separate, diverse, and robust name and
>          number   councils  responsible  for  developing,  reviewing,  and
>          recommending  for  the Board's approval policy related to matters
>          within  each  council's  competence."   Article  VI of the Bylaws
>          accomplishes   this   objective   by  creating  three  Supporting
>          Organizations  --  for  Addresses, Protocols, and Domain Names --
>          which are delegated the primary responsibility for developing and
>          recommending  substantive policies and procedures regarding those
>          matters within their individual scope.
>
>          Bottom-up  Governance.   The White Paper recommended a system for
>          electing the permanent Board of Directors that preserves, as much
>          as  possible,  the  tradition  of  bottom-up  governance  of  the
>          Internet.   To this end, Article V.4 of the Bylaws provides for a
>          Board  that  will  have a total of nineteen members:  three to be
>          selected  by  the  Address  Supporting  Organization; three to be
>          selected  by the Domain Name Supporting Organization; three to be
>          selected  by  the  Protocol  Supporting  Organization; nine to be
>          elected  "At  Large"; and the president of the corporation.  Each
>          of  the  Supporting Organizations is required by the Bylaws to be
>          an  open,  inclusive  and  transparent organization, and to allow
>          broad participation in both its substantive activities and in the
>          process  for choosing the directors that will be selected by that
>          Supporting  Organization.  At Large Board members will be elected
>          through  a  process  that  will rely on nominations from Internet
>          users  and  other participants.  Thus, the Board will be entirely
>          made  up  of individuals selected by the persons that operate and
>          use  the  Internet, fully reflecting the policies advanced by the
>          White Paper.
>
>          Geographic  and  Functional Diversity.  The White Paper suggested
>          that  the  Initial  Board  be directed "to establish a system for
>          electing  a  Board  of  Directors  for  the  new corporation that
>          insures  that  the  new corporation's Board of Directors reflects
>          the geographical and functional diversity of the Internet, and is
>          sufficiently  flexible  to permit evolution to reflect changes in
>          the  constituency of Internet stakeholders."  As described above,
>          directors  will  be  elected  by  a  combination  of  specialized
>          Supporting  Organizations and directly by an at large membership;
>          this  structure  is directly responsive to the White Paper's call
>          for  functional  diversity  and  evolutionary  flexibility.  With
>          respect  to  geographical  diversity,  Article  V.6 of the Bylaws
>          provides  that  no  more  than  one-half  of the directors may be
>          residents  of  any one geographic region, and no more than two of
>          the  directors  nominated  by each Supporting Organization may be
>          residents of any one geographic region.  To ensure that the Board
>          reflects  the  likely evolution of the Internet, Article V.6 also
>          requires  the  Board  to  revisit this issue at least every three
>          years so as to preserve the principle of geographic diversity.
>
>          Transparent  Decision-Making.  The White Paper urged that the new
>          corporation  should  be  governed  on  the  basis of a "sound and
>          transparent   decision-making  process,  which  protects  against
>          capture by a self-interested faction."  In response, Article 4 of
>          the  Articles  of  Incorporation  requires  that  the corporation
>          "operate  for  the benefit of the Internet community as a whole,"
>          and  also contains a broad commitment of the corporation to "open
>          and  transparent processes."  Article III of the Bylaws, entitled
>          "Transparency  and  Procedures,"  adds  to this commitment with a
>          requirement  that  the  corporation  and its subordinate entities
>          "operate   to   the  maximum  extent  feasible  in  an  open  and
>          transparent  manner  and  consistent  with procedures designed to
>          ensure  fairness."   In  addition,  Article III requires that the
>          activities  of  the  corporation  be broadly disclosed and widely
>          publicized  on  the  Internet and otherwise, including the prompt
>          publication  of  minutes  of all meetings.  In addition, prior to
>          the  adoption  of  any  policies  that  substantially  affect the
>          operation  of  the  Internet  or  third  parties,  the Board will
>          provide  public  notice on its Web site explaining the nature of,
>          and  inviting  comment on, the proposed policies, and is required
>          to publish the reasons supporting any such action that it takes.
>
>          Governmental Participation.  The White Paper stated that official
>          government  representation  on  the  Board of Directors should be
>          restricted  without  precluding governments and intergovernmental
>          organizations  from  participating.   Accordingly, Article V.5 of
>          the   Bylaws  precludes  officials  of  national  governments  or
>          multinational   entities  from  serving  as  directors;  however,
>          Article  7.3  provides for a Governmental Advisory Committee that
>          will  consist of representatives of governments and multinational
>          entities  and  will  have  the  ability  to consider, and provide
>          advice  to the Board concerning, activities of the corporation as
>          they relate to concerns of governments.
>
>          Location  and  Continuity.  The White Paper proposed that the new
>          corporation  be  headquartered  and  incorporated  in  the United
>          States  as  a  not-for-profit corporation, with arrangements made
>          with  current IANA staff to provide continuity and expertise over
>          the course of the transition.  In order to maintain the stability
>          of  the  Internet,  the new corporation has been established as a
>          California  not-for-profit  corporation with its principal office
>          in  Los  Angeles,  although  the  Bylaws contemplate that offices
>          might  be  opened  outside  the  United  States  in  the  future.
>          Arrangements  are in place with current IANA staff to provide for
>          the  transition, and discussions are underway with the University
>          of Southern California, where the IANA function has been located,
>          that  would facilitate that transition and maintain the stability
>          of current operations.
>
>          New  Substantive  Policies.   Consistent  with  the White Paper's
>          recommendations,  these incorporating documents do not attempt to
>          make  policy  with  respect  to  the  controversial  issues  that
>          prompted  the  issuance of the White Paper in the first instance.
>          For  example,  issues  such  as  creating  new  generic top-level
>          domains,   establishing   a  competitive  registrar  system,  and
>          addressing trademark controversies are deferred for consideration
>          by the new corporation.
>
>   This  organization  will  be unique in the world -- a
>   non-governmental organization  with significant
>   responsibilities for administering what  is becoming an
>   important global resource.  This is fully in keeping  with
>   the historical roots and character of the Internet, but  it
>   obviously  presents real challenges if it is to function
>   effectively.   The  experience  of  creating these
>   organizational documents,   which   required   an  extremely
>   diverse  group  of stakeholders  to  put  aside their
>   differences and concentrate on the job at hand -- recognizing
>   that debate over those differences was  merely  being
>   postponed  -- is instructive and encouraging.  The  success
>   of this effort is something about which all who were involved
>   can be proud, but more importantly it bodes well for the
>   future  work that must yet take place before this
>   organization is fully  functional.   There  are many
>   challenges left for the days and  years to come, but the
>   consensus that developed around these documents provides
>   considerable promise that those challenges can also be
>   overcome.
>
>   Should  you  agree  that the enclosed materials satisfy the
>   conditions set forth in the White Paper, as I am confident
>   you will, I would welcome  the  opportunity  to  facilitate
>   contacts  between your office  and  the new organization to
>   discuss the beginning of the transition process.
>
>                                   Sincerely,
>
>
>
>
>                                   Jon Postel
>
>
>
>
>Enclosures
>
>cc (w/encs.):   Ira C. Magaziner
>                R.J. Beckwith Burr
>
>
>___________________________________________________________________________
>
>