Subject: GIP and ICANN (and NSI)

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:44:34 -0500

Vint,

As you might have noticed, the U.S. Government is boiling
things down to the so-called, ICANN proposal. NSI appears
to be prepared to operate under that name and has registered
various forms of it. ICANN.ORG is shown below.

Will the funding that http://www.gip.org is assembling be
used to fund the ICANN ?

Will NSI be one of the companies providing funding to GIP ?

@@@ http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/press/dns93098.htm

"The U.S. Department of Commerce announced today that the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
has provided notice that it will submit a proposal for an agreement..."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Registrant:
INTERNET CORP. FOR ASSGD NAMES & NUMBERS (ICANN3-DOM)
   505 Huntmar Park Drive
   HERNDON, VA 20170
   US

   Domain Name: ICANN.ORG

   Administrative Contact:
      INTERNET CORP. FOR ASSGD NAMES & NUMBERS  (IC250-ORG)
[email-masked]
      703 742 0400
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      WorldNIC Name Host  (HOST-ORG)  [email-masked]
      1-888-642-9675
...
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
0:201 .COM
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

---

From: John Curran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 03:38:20 -0400

Jim,
 
   Interesting questions.  I expect that these can be answered by 
   reading the GIP press pages <http://www.gip.org/pressctr.htm>.
   (My particular take is that the GIP initial funding will be 
   used to fund whatever organization emerges from consensus,
   and that NSI is not currently participating, but you should 
   feel free to interpet the information there as you see fit).

Enjoy,
/John

p.s.  You should fix your email agent, it appears to be adding 
      the "ietf" list to the cc field of outgoing messages, making 
      you look rather foolish for posting seemingly random messsages 
      having nothing to do with documents or actions of the IETF.

---

From: John Curran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 03:38:20 -0400

Jim,

Enjoy,
/John