Subject: Re: hourglass model

From: Ari Ollikainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:12:47 -0800

Earlier I wrote
>>
>
>        TCP Version 3 spec was published in January 1979
>
>        references in IEN 151:
>
>2.   Cerf. V., "Specification of Internet Transmission Control Program -
>     TCP (Version 2)", March 1977
>
>3.   Cerf. V., J. Postel (eds), "Specification of Internetwork
>     Transmission Control Program - TCP (Version 3)", January 1978.
>
>4.   J. Postel (ed), 'Transmission Control Protocol - TCP (Version 4)",
>     February 1979.
>
>6.   "Specification of Internetwork Transmission Control Program - TCP
>     (Version 3.1)", July 1978.
>
>7.   DARPA, "Transmission Control Protocol, Version 4", August 1979
>     [edited by J. Postel].
>
>

        I left out the original IP spec:

 IEN 28     Postel          Feb-78   Draft Internetwork Protocol
                                     Specification

      OLTECO                    Ari Ollikainen
      P.O. BOX 3688             Networking Technology and Architecture
      Stanford, CA              [email-masked]
      94309-3688                415.517.3519

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:01:15 -0500

there is of course an even earlier set of papers about the ARPANET
protocols which established layering (probably SJCC or FJCC 1972).
The IP split came with v3 TCP, I think, and was indeed motivated by
real-time communication. Danny Cohen and Jon Postel were very much 
involved in that work. Pictures of the TCP/IP protocol suite
had IP as the common layer (not necessarily drawn in hour-glass format)
in the 1976-1977 period. I probably could dredge up some old hand-drawn
viewgraphs with the layered structure with IP in the middle if anyone
is interested.

vint

>      Stanford, CA              [email-masked]
=================================================================
If you are using any email address other than [email-masked],
please change your address book to use that address exclusively.

See you at INET'99, San Jose, CA, June 22-25,1999 
http://www.isoc.org/inet99/

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:01:15 -0500

vint