Subject: 44th IETF venue

From: Dhaval Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:49:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I happened to noticed that the 44th IETF is scheduled to be in 
Minnesota in March when Minnesota is usually buried in thick snow!
(I've personally observed that) 

Probably there are good reasons why this is so that I don't know about.
But just wanted to make a suggestion that would'nt it be better to hold 
it in a warmer place?

Thanx,
Dhaval

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 98 16:27:11 EST

> But just wanted to make a suggestion that would'nt it be better to hold 

You are not the only one who has made this observation.  I personally
think that Minnesota is beautiful in the Summer time.  However, how
often do we get to go ice fishing?  

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025
  http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html * [email-masked]

---

From: David Borman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:03:47 -0600 (CST)

> From: Dhaval Shah <[email-masked]>
> Subject: 44th IETF venue
> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:49:04 -0800 (PST)
> ...
============
This information is extracted from
http://www.wcco.com/cgi-bin/weather/weatherguide

March is the snowiest month of the year.  Average snowfall for
the month is 9.6 inches, and average rainfall is 1.43 inches.
The average temerature is 28 degrees.

Minnesota Record & Average temps, March 15 - 19

		 15	   16	     17	       18	     19
Record High	 69(1927)  71(1930)  76(1894)  73(1842)  72(1910)
Average High	 35	   36	     37	       38	 39
Average Mean	 26	   27	     28	       29	 30
Average Low	 17	   19	     19	       20	 20
Record Low	-14(1876) -18(1843) -17(1867)  -8(1923) -15(1875)
============

So, March can be very cold, or shirt-sleeve weather. (Over 50 in
Minnesota in March is shirt-sleeve weather!)  If the sun is
shining, it can be a beautiful day.  If it snows and blows, it
can get a bit nasty.  Bottom line, weather-wise you can't count
on anything one way or the other until next March.

> But just wanted to make a suggestion that would'nt it be better to hold 

I'd bet there's not much chance of changing it at this point in
time.  Besides, doesn't everyone spend the whole time indoors at
WG sessions? ;-)  And if it is held in downtown Minneapolis, in
case of bad weather there is an extensive skyway system allowing
you to go all over without ever going outside.

		-David Borman, [email-masked]

---

From: David Borman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:03:47 -0600 (CST)

============

		 15	   16	     17	       18	     19

---

From: Ari Ollikainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:37:14 -0800

At 5:12 PM 11/16/98, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>In my opinion, the worse the weather, the better. Why?
>
>To discourage tourism. People should not be going to an IETF casually
>-- they should only be going if they are actively contributing -- and
>if holding meetings at the north pole in January will help with that,
>I'm all for it.
>
>The multi-thousand attendee IETFs we are facing these days, with 90%
>of the participants in a room of 150 simply making it difficult for
>the fifteen people in the room actually involved with the work to see
>each other, are not something to encourage. IETFs in pleasant places
>(Orlando in December) are not a good thing for this reason.
>

        So...Chicago in late August was a tourist Mecca?

      OLTECO                    Ari Ollikainen
      P.O. BOX 3688             Networking Technology and Architecture
      Stanford, CA              [email-masked]
      94309-3688                415.517.3519

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:33:15 -0800

*> From [email-masked] Mon Nov 16 13:33:18 1998
  *> From: Dhaval Shah <[email-masked]>
  *> Subject: 44th IETF venue
  *> To: [email-masked]
  *> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:49:04 -0800 (PST)
  *> Cc: [email-masked] (Dhaval Shah)
  *> X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25]
  *> MIME-Version: 1.0
  *> Content-Type  *> :   *> text/plain  *> ;   *> charset=US-ASCII  *> 
  *> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
  *> Content-Length: 354
  *> X-Lines: 14
  *> 
  *> Hi,
  *> 
  *> I happened to noticed that the 44th IETF is scheduled to be in 
  *> Minnesota in March when Minnesota is usually buried in thick snow!
  *> (I've personally observed that) 
  *> 

From my viewpoint, the only real problem with snow is travel.  I hope
the Minnesotans can tell us that their airport almost never closes due
to snow during December.

Bob Braden

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:54:27 -0800

> 3. Alternative was Thule, Greenland

No need to go that far. Duluth is much closer and nearly as cold. 

> 5. Questions of honor resolved with snowballs at two paces

When I lived in Duluth as a kid, we preferred more paces cuz otherwise we'd 
just end up socking each other in the face with frozen mittens. 'course, we 
were wearing ski masks, which were also frost-coated (from our breath) and 
thus were kinda like having helmets on.

Oh, and often it was too cold to make snowballs -- the snow was too dry (we'd 
either have to breath on it, or make 'em bare handed). But Minneapolis in 
march is pretty comparatively warm, so we'll probably be ok. But I dunno if 
they'll have enough snow there to have a snow-fort-building contest...

Jeff

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:54:27 -0800

Jeff

---

From: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:29:39 MET

> No need to go that far. Duluth is much closer and nearly as cold. 

Closer to what?   :-)

> Jeff

--Johnny

---

From: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:29:39 MET

Closer to what?   :-)

--Johnny

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:14:22 +0100

>> I happened to noticed that the 44th IETF is scheduled to be in
.....
>Sorry, I just can't resist...
>
>Top 10 List of Reasons to Hold 44th IETF in Minneapolis in March
......
>3. Alternative was Thule, Greenland

Even more irresitible....

Thule doesn't need to be that bad this time of year, with luck you can
have foehn winds and +10C and there is (has been) a golf course on top
of the table mountain near the base. Problem is lodgings. I would opt
on Hotel Hvide Falk (White Falcon) i Ilulissat/Jacobshavn. Since I did
run e-mail and Netnews over Datapac/satellite and through Jacob Palmes
old KOM-system in Stockholm for a combined high school/college there
-85/-87, Internet really has quite some history in Greenland, but thats
another story.

Lars M

- Lars G Magnusson, Internet Infrastructure, Saab Automobile, Sweden -
-----------                 www.abc.se/~m8827              -----------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:14:22 +0100

.....
......

Lars M

-----------                 www.abc.se/~m8827              -----------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:49:02 -0800

*> 
  *> It's probably true in this case.  At any rate, airport closure is probably
  *> not something you have to worry about.
  *> 
  *> S
  *> 

Great!  Let's get on with the show (or snow).

Bob

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:49:02 -0800

*> 

Bob

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:24:48 +0100

It looks like the smuggler exploded over Stockholm, and I 
think Greenland is closer, and might be warmer. At lest closer.

/Loa

Matt wrote:

-----Original Message-----

San Francisco, I'm sure, has no term for it at all.  In Orlando they'd
probably think that a smuggler's plane exploded overhead.

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:24:48 +0100

/Loa

Matt wrote: