Subject: RE: 44th IETF venue & Re: Vixie/BIND: Dangerous Combination

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:36:08 -0800

At 07:35 AM 11/17/98 -0800, Kevin Dunlap wrote:
>>social we could go view the St. Paul ice sculptures.
>
>What? Has the campaign to elect Vixie as Interim CTO for ICANN already 
>erected sculptures?  ;)	

:^)

St. Paul is a town, the capital of Minnesota, pretty close to Minneapolis
(they are locally referred to as the "twin cities"), and at least when I
lived there they had contests in January. They froze truly large ice cubes
and carved them into various and sundry things, and left them out for a few
weeks where revellers could run out and view them. Similar contests occur
in Quebec City, Quebec, and other places where the climate permits the sport.

Don't think about how cold it has to be for the stuff to remain Ice for
that long; it's not worth it. The reason it doesn't snow in January, in
Minnesota, is because it is too cold to form clouds. There is a three week
period during which the temperature goes below zero Farenheit and simply
doesn't come back up. My wife got to the point where she would wake up in
the morning, throw open the curtains, see a beautiful blue sky outside, and
just want to go back to bed for the rest of the day. I once changed a tire
when the temperature was ballpark -30F and the windchill was ballpark -70F.
That is an experience... After I moved to California, a friend used to
annually give me the first right of removal of the snow in his driveway. We
started writing an RFC to describe a protocol for the internet transfer of
precipitation, but he stopped emailing me about ti when I suggested we
prototype it in SNOBOL...

But we're not going in January. We're going in March, when cross-country
skiiing is a good thing to do on weekends before or after, when the snow is
heavy enough to make snowballs (in January, that's a lost cause, they
explode into powder as soon as you throw them), the spring thaw is just
around the corner, and the temperature is bracing, not cold. May showers do
indeed bring June flowers, and July mosquitos, which are the state bird -
or so my neighbors repeatedly assured me.

Aw, come on, guys. It's not that bad. And after all the griping we heard
about going to a boon-doggle town in December, I should think you'd be pleased.

---

From: Steve Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:36:50 -0600

Sculpture pix are at http://www.winter-carnival.com -- click on the Ice
Castles link.

--
Steve Peterson                               +1 612 948 9729
Principal Consultant                     FAX +1 612 677 3050
Virtation Technologies, Inc.            http://virtation.com

---

From: Steve Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:36:50 -0600