Subject: RE: Last Call: DHCP Option to Disable Stateless Auto-Configuratio n in IPv4 Clients to Proposed Standard

From: Art Shelest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 05:28:50 -0800

It is not clear from the draft if the "DoNotAutoConfig" option is
"sticky" or not.

For example, if a client has received the "DoNotAutoConfig" option,
should it remember for all future DHCP transactions not explicitly 
overriding this option?

More specifically, if my computer received "DoNot" option and later
fails to renew the lease because DHCP server is unavailable, 
will it honor the option or will it autoconfigure?

Draft: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-02.txt

---
Art Shelest              Tel: (425) 703-5666
Microsoft Corporation    www.microsoft.com/windows

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:29:01 -0500

> will it honor the option or will it autoconfigure?

No, it'll revert to the INIT state and do a DHCPDISCOVER, at which
point the server will respond again with the Do Not Autoconfigure
option.   If the DHCP server doesn't respond, then it's probably
reasonable for it to conclude that it's on a different network,
assuming that it gave the server a reasonable number of chances to
respond.

I think it's reasonable that this be clarified, though, although I
wish you'd brought it up sooner - if you're interested in DHCP
protocol issues, you should consider subscribing to the working group
mailing list.

			       _MelloN_

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:29:01 -0500

_MelloN_