Subject: Re: 44th IETF venue

From: Ari Ollikainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:37:14 -0800

At 5:12 PM 11/16/98, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>In my opinion, the worse the weather, the better. Why?
>
>To discourage tourism. People should not be going to an IETF casually
>-- they should only be going if they are actively contributing -- and
>if holding meetings at the north pole in January will help with that,
>I'm all for it.
>
>The multi-thousand attendee IETFs we are facing these days, with 90%
>of the participants in a room of 150 simply making it difficult for
>the fifteen people in the room actually involved with the work to see
>each other, are not something to encourage. IETFs in pleasant places
>(Orlando in December) are not a good thing for this reason.
>

        So...Chicago in late August was a tourist Mecca?

      OLTECO                    Ari Ollikainen
      P.O. BOX 3688             Networking Technology and Architecture
      Stanford, CA              [email-masked]
      94309-3688                415.517.3519

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:48:04 -0800

>        So...Chicago in late August was a tourist Mecca?

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the architectural tour, which I took by
boat the afternoon before the plenary. I also enjoyed the social, and
enjoyed walking over to the pier where the social occurred later in the
week, where I listened to a live band for an hour or so.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:48:04 -0800