Subject: Source Format of RFCs

From: "Stephen L. Favor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:14:53 -0600

Could someone tell me what source formats are in use for writting RFCs?
Is it a DTD?  Are any standard tools/editors used? Etc.  Any info would
be helpful.  I'm in the midst if setting up a standards creating body
with a small company and I'd like to draw from IETF as much as possible
as I know it works.

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:51:01 -0600

> be helpful.

I may be hopelessly old-fashioned, but I use nroff to write
internet-drafts.  I reckon the RFC editor is proficient at converting
that format to the required RFC format.

I have developed quite a few nroff macros and supporting perl and C
programs for use with i-d's.  You can get them all, in fair-to-
middling states of documentation, at
ftp://berserk.fnal.gov/pub/id-tools/id-tools.tar.

No promises, but they work for me.

			Matt Crawford

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:51:01 -0600

Matt Crawford

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:55:53 -0500

> that format to the required RFC format.

Nearly as old-fashioned, but I use a (Tcl-based) LaTeX-to-nroff
converter I wrote a while ago. See http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/l2x/

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:55:53 -0500

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:28:03 -0500

Yet another set of rodent-free "as is" tools for producing Internet
Drafts.

Two examples, both encoded as unix makefiles.  The first is a trivial
example using the nroff -ms macros, as described in the edition of
"Instructions to RFC Authors" that was current at the time that I
wrote this.  The second is for a more complicated pair of documents,
using the nroff -me package to generate and format-check both .mib and
.txt output from the nroff source.  Portions of the second are
specific to the documents I was working on at the time, but some of
the code to check the output format may be useful, particularly for
MIB authors.

  ftp://ftp.epilogue.com/pub/sra/dns-idpr/
  ftp://ftp.epilogue.com/pub/sra/dns-mib/

Your milage may vary.

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:28:03 -0500

Your milage may vary.