Subject: [dnsproc-en] WIPO Domain Name Process - Washington, DC Report (fwd)

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 07:01:58 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:32:07 -0500
From: Process Moderator <[email-masked]>
To: Process Moderator <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [dnsproc-en] WIPO Domain Name Process - Washington, DC Report

se do not reply to this message.

French and Spanish translations are attached.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Washington, D.C,  Regional Consultation
 
The third regional consultation in the framework of the WIPO Internet
Domain Name Process was held in Washington, D.C. on October 1, 1998.
The consultation was hosted by Georgetown University.

The meeting was attended on behalf of WIPO by Francis Gurry, Legal
Counsel, and Christopher Gibson, Head, Electronic Commerce Section,
Office of Legal and Organization Affairs.  The panel of experts
assisting WIPO in its work was represented by Hisham El Sherif
(Chairman, Regional Information Technology & Software Engineering
Center, Ken Fockler (Former Chair and President, Canadian Association of
Internet Providers), Michael Froomkin (Professor, University of Miami
School of Law), Donald Heath (President, Internet Society), Frederick
Mostert (President, International Trademark Association), Mark Partridge
(Chair, Professional Programs Committee, American Intellectual Property
Law Association), and Phil Sbarbaro (Chief Litigation Counsel, Network
Solutions, Inc.).

Opening remarks on behalf of Georgetown University were presented by
Professor Michael Ryan of the School of Business.

The presentations and open discussions covered the four main topics to
be addressed by the WIPO Internet Domain Name Process: dispute
prevention, dispute resolution, protection of famous and well-known
marks, and introduction of new gTLDs.  The table below lists those who
made presentations or interventions during the course of the meeting.

Issues that attracted particular attention include requiring pre-payment
prior to the activation of a domain name registration; requiring
accurate and up-to-date contact information for domain name
registrations and subsequent renewals; alternative clearance mechanisms,
such as conditional registration during a preliminary period, prior to
activation of a domain name registration; the use of database
directories to obtain information about domain name registrations; the
use of the registrar as an agent for service of process and
corresponding payment of a deposit for such service; the desirability of
uniform alternative dispute resolution procedures for domain name
conflicts; the desirability of establishing separate and pre-emptive
protection mechanisms for famous and well-known trademarks; under what
circumstances should new gTLDs be added; and the overarching questions
of whether new measures, such as some of those listed in WIPO RFC-2,
should be left to be determined by private contract and will such
measures risk impeding the further development of the Internet.

A recording was made of the proceedings.  The transcript will shortly be
made available to the public on the WIPO website, at
http://wipo2.wipo.int, under the section "Consultations."

Name
Title
Organization

Susan Anthony
Associate Technology Counsel
MCI Worldcom

Marilyn Cade
Director, Internet and E-Commerce Advocacy
AT & T

Roger Cochetti
Program Director, Policy and Business Planning, IBM Internet Division
IBM

Robert Connelly
Member
Council of Registrars (CORE)

Sally Davis
Attorney
Coalition for Advertising Supported Information and Entertainment (CASIE)

Sarah Deutsch
Intellectual Property Counsel
Bell Atlantic Network Services Inc.

J. Scott Evans
Attorney
Adams Law Firm, P. A.

Harold Feld
Assist. General Counsel
Domain Name Rights Coalition (DNRC)

Griffith B. Price, Jr.
Chair, Trademark Law Committee
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)

Michelena Hallie
Vice President, Senior Counsel/Intellectual Property
Viacom,Inc.

Hugh Latimer
Partner
Wiley, Rein & Fieldins

Catherine McGuffy
Director Trademarks & Copyrights
MCI WorldCom

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Attorney
Arter & Hadden

Kristina Rosette
Trademark Attorney
Covington & Burling

John Wood
Consultant
Microsoft