Subject: RE: complex extensions attacking IETF protocols

From: "Marsh, Miles (Gene)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:40:20 -0500

Scott,

You wrote:
"Lastly, Steve Deering just gave a talk at UCLA wrt keeping the IP
stack's waistline thin. Active Networks adds an inner tube to this
waistline."

Thank you for the endorsement to the IPv8 methodology.

Gene Marsh
Diebold Incorporated

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Michel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 1998 11:13 PM
To: Brant Knudson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: complex extensions attacking IETF protocols 

> A possible solution to this problem is Active Networks.

No! No! No! No!

It's hard enough understanding and controlling Java security
issues on the desktop in an isolated browser. You want to open
routers to the same set of problems? And given the rate at
which security bulletins propagate and software updates are
installed (or can't be installed), security issues are paramount.

The largest failing of AN is that it has lots of trouble migrating
OS type security to the network. Follow me here: the router should
be something analogous to the kernel. You don't allow random code
to get into kernels, the Exokernel and other nano/microkernels
notwithstanding. You use interfaces. In the network work, the
interfaces are protocols.

Sure, you can take a router down by sending bad protocol messages
the same way you can take down your home machine with bad system
call parameters. But those are the exception, not the rule. The
same is applies to Active Nets.

Of course, if you really want a nice hostile applet to crash
Mae-East or Mae-West or take replicate along the MCI routers,
the Active Nets is probably a good idea.

Lastly, Steve Deering just gave a talk at UCLA wrt keeping the IP
stack's waistline thin. Active Networks adds an inner tube to this
waistline.

-scooter

---

From: Scott Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 17:52:20 -0800

Unwittingly, perhaps. Actually, I really would like to endorse
the IPv6 wineglass look-n-feel.

---

From: Scott Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 17:52:20 -0800