Subject: Re: Complaints Against The IESG and The RFC-Editor About Publicat

From: "Marshall Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 10:22:21 -0800

i enjoy personalizing an argument as much as the next fellow. however, it's
not clear to me how such a strategy will result in any positive results.
although Carl and Perry are long-time contributors to the Internet
community, neither of them have held a position on the IESG or IAB. Perry
chairs (or perhaps chaired) a working group, i don't recall.

as a disinterested party (haven't been on the IESG for a few years), i'll
tell you my call:

1. posting an 80k complaint is a sure-fire recipe for failure. maybe the
american legal system (where lawyers are paid by the hour, and judges are
former lawyers) have the patience for such things, engineer-managers do not.

2. i haven't read your draft, nor do i particuarly intend to (no offence,
the topic doesn't interest me). however, the fault i assign to the "power
conspiracy" in the IETF is simple: they should have told you "yes" or "no"
sooner, like within 6 weeks. if they'd said "no", well, you'd have a
different complaint, but it wouldn't be for lack of timeliness.

3. publication of rfcs is upto the rfc editor, with the caveat that on
matters that deal with ongoing on near-term IETF standardization matters,
the IESG gets to advise. if you want a document series with a different
editorial policy, go start one of your own. if you establish credibility
with an interested community of consumers, they you too can be a successful
publisher.

4. i think the IAB should look into the matter, not because i think anyone
did anything purposefully or willfully wrong, but simply because it will
give us closure. i think you'd have been a lot happier had you gotten
closure on the matter in a timely fashion.

/mtr

ps: if you think i am part of the system, then you haven't been around long
enough to appreciate the delicious irony of that statement.

---

From: "Marshall Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 10:22:21 -0800

/mtr