Subject: Re: Two modest proposals (make that three)

From: "Alan J. Maitland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:14:34 -0700

Mr. Malis,

I concur with your thoughts on this rather copious deluge of drafts and your
suggestions.

I make yet an additional proposal.  Perhaps the keepers of such things might
consider creating a weekly listing of current drafts rather than the
issuance of individual draft messages.  

The report might be contained in a simple format of:
Date - Draft ID.txt - One line description
- FTP Address

Yet another though...

Best,

Alan Maitland
President
NBCI.Net

At 08:11 PM 11/24/98 -0500, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
>As I watch the endless stream of drafts still coming in almost a week past
>the submission deadline, I have two modest proposals to make:
>
>1. Move the submission deadline further back (at least a week).  It's
>obvious that people are deadline-driven; the drafts will get done no matter
>what the deadline is, since people plan their work to meet the deadline.
>With the huge number of drafts now showing up just before each meeting,
>moving the deadline back gives people more time to read the drafts of
>interest in order to be able to discuss them intelligently.
>
>2. Make it easier to get everything.  There are two ways to make this happen:
>
>2a: Once all of the drafts have been processed and announced, tar or zip up
>all of the drafts into one big file that can be downloaded in one step
>(gzip the tar file, of course).
>
>2b: Produce a CD-ROM that is handed out during registration that contains
>all of the current drafts and RFCs.  The ATM Forum now does this very
>successfully with incoming contributions to each meeting, and it works
>great both for getting everything and having a permanent archival store.  I
>would happily pay $10 for such a CD-ROM.
>
>Comments?
>
>Andy
>
>________________________________________________________________________
>Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-2074
>Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886
>

---

From: "Alan J. Maitland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:14:34 -0700

Mr. Malis,

Yet another though...

Best,

Alan Maitland
President
NBCI.Net