Subject: The Fourth Web Caching Workshop, Second Call for Papers

From: John Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:41:23 +0100

The Fourth Web Caching Workshop
                  ----------------------------------------
                  http://www.ircache.net/Cache/Workshop99/

This is the fourth year for the Web Caching Workshop. Not unlike the
Internet itself, interest and participation in the Caching Workshops has
doubled every year since the first was held in 1996. The 1999 workshop is
being organized by NLANR and CAIDA, and will be held at the University of
California in San Diego.

All submitted papers will be formally refereed by a program committee. The
selected papers will be published in the workshop proceedings, and the
authors will be invited to make a 20-minute presentation of their work.
Papers which are not selected for publication may be invited for
presentation as posters or as "works in progress."

Subject Areas For the Workshop
-------------------------------

Papers are invited on all matters related to caching. The particular areas
of interest include, but are not limited to:

   * Legal, social, and economic issues.
   * Inter-cache communication techniques and protocols.
   * Tools and techniques for analyzing and improving cache performance.
   * Experiences in implementing caches on local, regional, or a national
     scale.
   * Algorithms for reducing end-user latencies; e.g. prefetching.
   * Caching software.
   * Caching hardware.
   * Benefits of caching, user experiences, views, requirements etc.

Information for Paper Submission
---------------------------------

Full papers, limited to 5000 words, are to be submitted by January 15, 1999.
All papers must be written in English. Manuscripts that have already been
published or are currently under review elsewhere, will be rejected. Papers
must be submitted electronically, in Postscript "US-Letter" format. Please see
the Workshop URL for specific submission instructions.

Exhibition & Demonstration Facilities
--------------------------------------

An exhibition area will be available for demonstrations and for companies
sponsoring the workshop.

Workshop Location & Accommodations
-----------------------------------

The workshop will be held at the Institute of the Americas, on the
University of California San Diego campus. We have reserved a number of
rooms for workshop attendees in area hotels. See the Workshop URL for
details.

Attendance
-----------

Attendance will be limited to approximately 250 attendees. If you would like
to attend without submitting a paper, please send us a brief note with your
interests and/or background to [email-masked] by the paper submission
date.

Important Dates
----------------

     January 15  Electronic paper submission due
    
     February 15 Notification of acceptance
    
     February 28 Hotel reservation deadline
    
      March 15   Registration cutoff
    
      March 31-  Workshop
       April 2   

Program Committee
------------------

     - Pei Cao, University of Wisconsin (co-chair)
     - John Martin, TERENA (co-chair)
     - Peter Danzig, Network Appliance
     - Fred Douglis, AT&T Laboratories
     - Barry Greene, Cisco Systems
     - Christian Grimm, University of Hanover and DFN Association, Germany
     - Martin Hamilton, Loughborough University, UK
     - Jaeyeon Jung, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
     - Wagner Meira, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil
     - Ingrid Melve, Uninett, Norway
     - George Michaelson, Distributed Systems Technology Center, Australia
     - Misha Rabinovich, AT&T Laboratories
     - Kathy Richardson, Compaq
     - Wayne Salamonsen, National University of Singapore
     - Wojtek Sylwestrzak, Interdisciplinary Center for Mathematical and
       Computational Modeling, Poland
     - Lixia Zhang, University of California Los Angeles

Contacts & Information
-----------------------

Local Organization:
     Duane Wessels ([email-masked])
     Amy Blanchard ([email-masked]) +1 (619) 534-8338
General Questions:
     [email-masked]
Program Committee:
     [email-masked]

Organizers
-----------

NLANR
     The National Laboratory for Applied Network Research--is a loose
     collaboration of networking researchers in the United States who are
     primarily based at the supercomputing centers. NLANR receives funding
     from the National Science Foundation.
CAIDA
     The Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis, is a
     collaborative undertaking among commercial, academic and government
     organizations seeking to promote greater cooperation in the engineering
     and maintenance of a robust, scalable global Internet infrastructure.

-------------------http://www.ircache.net/Cache/Workshop99/ ------------------