Subject: Re: AD's

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:52:01 +0000

At 08:28 AM 1/19/99 -0700, Michael T Kibbe wrote:
>since when were these discussion groups open field day for advertisements?

They're not open for such a field day. Now, the guy probably thinks he's
complying with the California law that says "you're allowed to SPAM
somebody if you put 'ADV:' in your subject line, because a recipient can
put a filter in to block your SPAM." Unfortunately, he didn't put "ADV:",
he put "AD:", and we have people we call ADs, so I can't put a filter on
the IETF list that says "delete anything with the letters 'AD:'".

Translation: he's a jerk for spamming the list, he's trying to be a good
little jerk by attempting to comply with the law, but he proved himself
either an uninformed jerk or a stupid jerk, in the he missed compliance by
one character, and he spammed a whole bunch of lists the same uninformed or
stupid way.

Recall that I can't use a filter of the form "drop all traffic that doesn't
originate with a list member" because the IETF list has a lot of local
exploders - most list recipients are not subscribers to the main list.

Your recommendation? 

I have a recommendation about the law. First, everybody who lives in
California should file a lawsuit against this idiot citing the law and
citing the SPAM. Second, everybody who lives in California should vote in a
manner consistent with what he thinks about a law that reads "it's OK to
SPAM people..."