Subject: Agents of Perpetual Discord

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 05:44:41 -0500 (EST)

...and Network Solutions is but one relatively minor player
 among a few hundred predominantly American Corporations. These
 institutions are generating previously unimaginable profits
 from their various positions of dominance over the Internet.
 This fact, in combination with a national Manifest Destiny
 slash foriegn policy that demands aggressive defense of so
 called "US Interests" brings a far wider number of players
 to this game. In addition to "NSOL" we have to add Microsoft,
 AOL, Digital, Sun Systems, Cisco, YAHOO and on and on and on
 to the list of "US Interests". Naturally the USGOV represents
 these companies like any other USCORPS.

 As long as all of the above are generating gigantic profits
 from the status quo - no matter how broken that status quos is -
 no fundamental change to the infrastructure of this alleged
 International Network will occur. Change will be prevented at
 all levels by any means necessary. There are no holds barred,
 no moral or ethical barriers outside the US constitution which
 applies only to American Citizens by the way. Outside that no
 rule apply.  The Internet is simply viewed as a US Possetion
 the same as Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, the Kuwaiti/Saudi oil fields,
 and the Panama Canal. End of discussion.

 In these circular, fruitless discussions towards Internet
 Governance endless interuptions, disruptions and intrigues
 have marked our defeat. This is no coincidence. It is not
 just bad luck or the action of random chance. There is a
 concerted campaign to debilitate the possibility of reform.
 There are agencies and individuals who are working directly
 on this project in these discussions. They are very few and
 far between since so many of the participants have personal
 interests that parrallel USCORP/USGOV agendas. These agents
 work on all sides and internationally.

 These agents of perpetual discord have been wildly successful.
 The Postel-Higgs draft RFC, Alternic, eDNS, uDNS, Root 64,
 IPv8, Open-RSC all have been destroyed. Even the more lame
 and conventional attempts to offer change such as the gTLD
 MoU, CORE-POC and ICANN have been disrupted and discarded.
 The status quo rules and nothing will change anytime soon.

 My thesis is implausible. The spin surrounding all of these
 events is as huge as the direct money market stakes involved.
 These ideas will remain implausible, discounted, dismissed as
 ridiculous no matter how accurate. The confusion and chaos
 will continue fueled by critically placed individuals and the
 general level co-optation among key participants. The only
 thing citizens of conscience can do is to watch, comment from
 time to time and enjoy the spectacle. In that spirit I endure.

 Bob Allisat

 Free Community Network _ [email-masked]
 http://fcn.net _ http://fcn.net/allisat 
 [email-masked]