Subject: Re: AD's

From: Gunnar Lindberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:40:22 +0100 (MET)

Fighting "real spam" - the spam that is to come - probably means a
zillion new problems, but as of today there are two major ones:

    o	Various SMTP sw, e.g. old sendmail distributed by some vendors,
	neither has anti-spam functionaily nor trace info (Received).

    o	The people operating those hosts usually don't have a clue; if
	they had, they'd get new sw and at least do something (e.g stop
	acting as unauthorized Mail Relay) and they'd probably start
	reading Postmaster mail.

Spammers have developed great skill in finding such hosts; how that
happens - and if it can be prevented - would be an interesting and
quite different view on spam fight. Anyone?

	Gunnar Lindberg

>From [email-masked]  Thu Jan 21 23:05:39 1999
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:38:40 +0000
>From: "A. Wik" <[email-masked]>
>To: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
>CC: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: AD's

> ...

>And an increasing amount of spam seems to be going via sites like this:
>Received: from there by sgu-ns1.sg-u.ac.jp (8.8.8+2.7Wbeta7/3.3W9-NEC)

>The sender can choose any "DNS" name he wants ("there" was my test) and
>what's really annoying is the lack of an IP address, not to mention the
>fact that all complaints to these sites' postmaster and root accounts seem
>to be going right to /dev/null.  These TCP wrappers we've heard so much
>about do nothing about it since the relay is fully DNS registered.