Subject: Re: [ifwp] No More Central Authority: Not NSI/ICAN! Not ORSC!

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:43:36 -0800 (PST)

Bob Allisat <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Once upon a time I had my software pointed at so-called
> "alternative" root name servers. The service was spotty,
> prone to failure and, finally, disappeared without notice.
> Depending on *any* authority external to my computer is
> something I would prefer to avoid. Thus my call for an
> entirely de-centralized Domain Name Services, IP addressing
> and Internet Givernance structure. Every citizen should
> hold the authority in their own hands (so to speak).

But you don't need a decentralized DNS structure to do this; you need
only to configure your DNS to do what you want it to.

More to the point, however, as long as the NSI/IANA roots continue to
be a reliable service, I don't see that the majority of net users
would choose something else.  The only possibility is that someone who
registers in an alternative service, or chooses not to register in DNS
at all, comes up with some outstanding content that draws lots of
eyeballs.  This might tip the scales a bit; it might encourage more
people to explore the alternatives.

--gregbo

---

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:43:36 -0800 (PST)

--gregbo