Subject: An unhappy innovation in IETF hotel policy

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:17:47 -0600

I just made a reservation for the Minneapolis meeting.  Near the
conclusion of the protocol, the Hilton reservation person said my
credit card would be charged for one night on *January 30*.

I said that was absurd and I'd never heard of such a thing before.
She said it was the hotel's policy.  I objected again and was
planning to take it up quietly with the secretariat's hotel liaison,
but after consultation with her supervisor she changed the story.
She said it wasn't the hotel's policy -- it was the sponsoring
organization's requirement!

Since the charge will be made six weeks before the meeting, I'll have
to pay it long before being reimbursed, and I suppose that will be
true for many of us.

I recall the statement that one or more previous meetings had room
blocks that filled up with reservations that were later cancelled.
That's a problem that calls for some response, but I'm not very happy
about this proposed solution.

In general, the secretariat is to be applauded for innovating.  In
this instance, I'm sitting on my hands.

				Matt Crawford

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 1999 13:10:41 -0500

> credit card would be charged for one night on *January 30*.

Same here.

> organization's requirement!

What!

> to pay it long before being reimbursed, and I suppose that will be

It is a fairly inconvenient policy.

> about this proposed solution.

Given that they say they will refund the money if one later cancels, I 
doubt it is going to fix things, either.

I'm not very happy about the idea.

Perry

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 1999 13:10:41 -0500

Same here.

What!

Perry

---

From: "David W. Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:41:46 -0800 (PST)

There are those who suspect that the IETF makes decisions in private, but
surely the announcement of the HOTEL arrangements would include some
word of this policy.  The policy announced says 72hour cancelation and
50 for early departure.

There does seem to be a conflict here

????????

Dave Morris

---

From: "David W. Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:41:46 -0800 (PST)

????????

Dave Morris

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:25:42 -0500

> this instance, I'm sitting on my hands.

You've never been to a B&B, have you?   A lot of them charge you your
first night's stay when you make the reservation!

Here's the deal: if you don't want to be charged on the 30th, don't
make an early reservation.  Of course, you might not get a room at the
hotel, but it depends on what's important to you.  I personally think
this is a very rational policy - there should be some cost associated
with making an early reservation, so that people who aren't sure
they're going to make it to the conference *don't* reserve early and
then cancel when their plans firm up.

I liked the suggestion that somebody had of not allowing you to
reserve until you'd registered for IETF, but I am sure that's
administratively unworkable.  This isn't as good, but it's
administratively workable, and that counts for a lot.

As far as the hotel bill goes, why don't you just submit the expense
report and see what happens?   I usually buy my airplane tickets in
advance and submit the expense report when I'm billed, not after the
trip.   Nobody's ever complained to me about it.   I suppose it's
possible that you'll have trouble, but it seems to me that if you
explain the situation, your accounting department ought to
understand.   If they don't, maybe they need some talking to...

			       _MelloN_

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:25:42 -0500

_MelloN_

---

From: Marcia Beaulieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:15:31 -0500

Matt, Perry,

>credit card would be charged for one night on *January 30*.

Thank you for letting me know about this situation. This charge policy
is incorrect. I have been in contact with the hotel and it has been rectified.

>organization's requirement!

It is not our requirement that this charge be made. It apparently was
a glitch in the hotel's reservation system.  Both of your accounts have 
been changed and you will not be charged for one night on January 30.

This problem should not occur again. If anyone else calls the 800 number 
and encounters this situation, please ask the reservationist to transfer you 
directly to the Minneapolis Hilton hotel where they will be able to assist
you.  

Thanks,

Marcia

**********************************************************************
Marcia Beaulieu <[email-masked]>
Meeting Coordinator
Voice: 703-620-8990 ext. 210
Fax: 703-620-9071

---

From: Marcia Beaulieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:15:31 -0500

Matt, Perry,

Thanks,

Marcia

---

From: Frank Kastenholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:02:01 -0500

At 11:17 AM 1/20/99 -0600, Someone wrote:
	...
	...

And several others joined in the fray.

Within 4 hours, Marcia Beaulieu of the secretariat responded

	Thank you for letting me know about this situation. This charge policy
	is incorrect. I have been in contact with the hotel and it has been 
	rectified.
	...
	It is not our requirement that this charge be made. It apparently was
	a glitch in the hotel's reservation system. 

I suppose the next time something odd happens,
you all will take the trouble to find out what's happening
before whining in public and recklessly casting aspersions.

Right?

Frank Kastenholz

---

From: Frank Kastenholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:02:01 -0500

Right?

Frank Kastenholz

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:41:09 -0800

> I'm not very happy about the idea.

I am. Too many people book rooms in case they decide to go they the IETF.
They can put off this decision until 24 hours before the meeting.
If you are concerned about getting reimbursed quickly by your
employer, then get your employer to issue you a company credit card.

There are precious few guest rooms at the primary hotel.  Now more
people will be able to use the IETF discount rate and stay in
the primary hotel.

> Perry

Andy

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:41:09 -0800

Andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Uber, Chet)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:15:36 -0600

I am sorry to here that there seems to be elective cc charging going on.
I registered at the Hilton in 5 minutes, was not asked or notified about
the "January 30th charge." After reading some of the mail and calling
back, their SOP is to book the room using a cc# to hold it. Upon
checking in they need to imprint or scan your card, and at that time
"block" the necessary funds to stay for your visit. These are not the
actual charges; these are just blocks to reduce your available credit
balance to ensure they get paid. When you check out, the block comes
off, and they charge you the appropriate rate.

Regards,
Chet

---

From: [email-masked] (Uber, Chet)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:15:36 -0600

Regards,
Chet