Subject: RE: .DE Rip off: .BRD for Free!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:14:18 -0500

I know that you run some kind of "free" service, but I have found that very
little, if anything, free is worthwhile.

I must pay expenses caused by having customers and a business, therefore I
must have revenue from somebody.  In my experience, most long term viable
businesses do - their shareholders prefer this sort of behavior.

Good luck,

Alan Maitland
President
NBCI.Net

Pay attention - stay alive

------------------------------------
Although I agree with what you have to say for the most part. There are
always expenses that require some sort of compensation, but sometimes
compensation and also expenses do not take the form of monetary units. I do
not think that the Internet community's primary purpose is "Business". Don't
get me wrong, the internet is how I make my money too, but the internet's
place on this earth is to provide a "central yet diverse" location to
research and archive all sorts of neat and interesting intellectual
material. Therefore, although expenses are incurred from providing these
services, I also believe that individuals and businesses providing these
services do not necessarily need to focus on making as much money as
possible. I use Linus Torvaldis and the Linux OS as an example. And just to
keep things in perspective, using a service such as Linux is not "free", you
will be paying in the form of taking the time to educate yourself in the way
the system works, and taking the time to design the system to be streamlined
for your applications.

Although you are right, nothing gotten free is worthwhile. I will add to
this that, giving something for free is MOST worthwhile.

Before I receive a retort to this statement...Please note that although I
may make a pretty good income, most of it is spent on those I love...My
family friends and neighbors... I receive much more in return than the value
of the money that is spent in kindness. I may be monetarily poor, but I make
sure I take care of MY responsibilities first. By being the person I am, I
am much richer as a result.

I would also like to add something addressed to everyone and not necessarily
you Alan...If you do a "reply to all" in an e-mail to a mailing list, please
remove the individual peoples' e-mail addresses from the header...Most
people don't need the frustration of having e-mails repeatedly sent in
duplicate.

-Scot Mc Pherson
-Applications Engineer
-Wave Wireless Networking
-Dev. of SPEEDCOM International

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:14:18 -0500

Good luck,

Alan Maitland
President
NBCI.Net

-Scot Mc Pherson
-Applications Engineer

---

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:09:35 -0500 (EST)

Not to come to Bob's defense or start yet another thread, but...

> little, if anything, free is worthwhile.

	Linux?

	The old song about "you get what you pay for" is bogus even at
face value.  Find some other angle, and this time make it legit...

> businesses do - their shareholders prefer this sort of behavior.

	No arguement there, and I agree with these.  Just dump the inane
"very little, if anything, free is worthwhile".  It detracts from your
legitimate arguements.

> NBCI.Net

	Mike
-- 
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email-masked]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
  NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
 PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

---

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:09:35 -0500 (EST)

Linux?

	Mike