Subject: RE: [IFWP] Re: (!) Vint Cerf designing network for solar system ( !)

From: Ronda Hauben <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:59:09 -0500 (EST)

[email-masked] Fri Mar 12 11:32:02 1999 wrote:

>Ronda,
>I would not suggest squelching Bob if he would just stop his personal
>attacks on people instead of focusing on the issues.

Mike,

Good to get your comments. But maybe the problem isn't Bob commenting
about people, but rather that people need to own up to their
own "conflicts of interest" in the discussion so that it can
be carried own with the best interests of the Internet having
a chance to be considered, rather than a set of hidden agendas
and interests who are trying to divert the issuese.

I saw a post a while back where Vint Cerf suggested that people
participating in a discussion say what their biases and conflicts
with regard to the discussion wee. Yet I haven't seen him do
that nor most others in this ICANN discussion, where the 
conflicts of interest are being structured into the foundation
of the entity that is being created.

And hence there are those who are trying to divert or make the 
discusison impossible and have a material interest in doing that.

Is there any reason that the IETF hasn't taken this more seriously
in a more public way? There are very real issues to be clarified
in all this and that isn't happening. And the protocols are too
important to make them hostage to this secret jokeying for power
that is ICANN. (As are the IP numbers, domain names, root server
system etc.)

>Mike Finney
>[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

	>The Internet has been built on a principle
	>of welcoming all views. And this is for good
	><snip>

	>Let the debate begin in the tradition of the Internet, not
	>behind closed doors or in private email, but openly and 
	>welcoming of all into the fray.

	>Ronda
	>[email-masked]

Ronda

             Netizens: On the History and Impact
               of Usenet and the Internet
          http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/
            in print edition ISBN 0-8186-7706-6

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:05:49 -0500

> of the entity that is being created.

I can't speak for most of the others, as I've been admittedly ignoring
most of the ICANN discussion.  However, I think Vint Cerf is in the
category where, if you don't already know what his biases and conflicts
are, having them listed and/or explained may not be all that edifying...

Also, remember that many of those who complain the most about
percieved conflicts and biases are those who would not listen to
an itemizing of conflicts, preferring to believe whatever they
wanted to anyhow...

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:05:49 -0500

---

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:00:34 -0800 (PST)

> that is ICANN. (As are the IP numbers, domain names, root server

It seems to me that several IETF members have made their feelings
regarding ICANN quite public, not necessarily here, but on other
mailing lists (such as IFWP and ICANN's membership list).

--gregbo

---

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:00:34 -0800 (PST)

--gregbo