Subject: IETF PGP Key Signing announcement

From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:17:33 -0500 (EST)

Once again, we will be holding a PGP Key signing party at the IETF
meeting in Minneapolis. 

We have been scheduled to meet at 8:00pm on the evening of Thursday,
March 18, 1999.  (I know there have been some complaints about the time,
but given the new IETF scheduling, there isn't really a better time to
schedule this.  We could do it at 10:30 pm after the open plenary on
Wednesday evening, but I'm not convinced that would be any better....)

The procedure we will use is the following:

o People who wish to participate should email an ASCII extract of their
  PGP public key to <[email-masked]> by midnight on *Tuesday* of the week
  of the IETF meeting. Please include a subject line of "IETF PGP
  KEY".

  Sending your key to me before the IETF meeting is appreciated, since
  it reduces the number of keys that I have to collect during the
  meeting. (In fact, why don't you send me your key right now if you
  know will be attending, so you won't forget?)

o By 6pm on Thursday, you will be able to ftp a complete key ring
  from tsx-11.mit.edu with all of the keys that were submitted; it will
  be in the files /pub/tytso/ietf2.pgp and /pub/tytso/ietf5.pgp.  (For
  PGP 2.x and PGP 5.x, respectively).

o At 8:00pm, come prepared with the PGP Key fingerprint of your PGP
  public key; we will have handouts with all of the key fingerprints of
  the keys that people have mailed in.

o In turn, readers at the front of the room will recite people's keys;
  as your key fingerprint is read, stand up, and at the end of reading
  of your PGP key fingerprint, acknowledge that the fingerprint as read
  was correct.

o Later that evening, or perhaps when you get home, you can sign the
  keys corresponding to the fingerprints which you were able to verify
  on the handout; note that it is advisable that you only sign keys of
  people when you have personal knowledge that the person who stood up
  during the reading of his/her fingerprint really is the person which
  he/she claimed to be.

o Submit the keys you have signed to the PGP keyservers. A good one to
  use is the one at MIT: simply send mail containing the ascii armored
  version of your PGP public key to <[email-masked]>.

Note that you don't have to have a laptop with you; if you don't have
any locally trusted computing resources during the key signing party, 
you can make notes on the handout, and then take the handout home and
sign the keys later.

                                        - Ted