Subject: More nroff questions

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:47:01 +0000

I have recently come to some appreciation of the extent of work that is
applied to turn an Internet Draft into an RFC, and that being able to
submit an 'nroff' version to the RFC editor would probably ease the
publication process for both author and editor.

My questions are:

(1) Where can I get a version of nroff that runs under MS Windows,
including documentation?

(2) Are there any utilities for doing an (initial) conversion from other
formats (e.g. RTF or word processor formats) to nroff?

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:41:44 -0500

>(1) Where can I get a version of nroff that runs under MS Windows,

Try groff, in http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ -- you should be 
comfortable with Unix shell (bash) and know how to tweak your PATH in 
autoexec.bat.  I didn't find documentation there.

...Scott

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:41:44 -0500

...Scott

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:47:48 -0500

> formats (e.g. RTF or word processor formats) to nroff?

I have an automatic converter from LaTeX to nroff (l2x). Apparently, the
RFC editor doesn't like tbl and neqn, so you have to restrict your
LaTeX/nroff expressiveness, but it seemed to have worked ok for a
100-page RFC.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:47:48 -0500

---

From: Pete Loshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:07:17 -0500

> publication process for both author and editor.
[snip]

For these questions, try RFC 2223, "Instructions to RFC Authors." 
(http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/doc/standard/rfc/22xx/2223)
There is also an Internet-Draft on doing RFCs as XML documents,
(draft-mrose-writing-rfcs-00.txt) that includes XML code.

Hope this helps.
-pl

---

From: Pete Loshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:07:17 -0500

[snip]

Hope this helps.
-pl