Subject: Re: Official listing of "public" reference software for IETF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 14:42:42 -0500

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:41:49 EST, Scott Bradner said:
> I'd also be worried about the liability issues (people do throw lawyers
> at each other over lots of things and I can just see the incoming lawyers
> if some company finds out the reference implementation they 
> are relying on for some critical service is broken )

How did the X Consortium in all its incarnations avoid getting sued
for bugs in the X11Rwhatever sample code?  Obviously, it's possible
to write a suitable copyright statement.

Is the copyright statement on the X11R6 distribution itself copyrighted,
or are all the disclaimers sufficiently legal boilerplate that any attempt
to say the same thing would be phrased essentially the same, and thus
presumably not copyrightable?

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 14:42:42 -0500