Subject: Internet Monthly Report for December, 1998

From: IMR Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:35:51 -0800

December 1998

INTERNET MONTHLY REPORTS
------------------------

The purpose of these reports is to communicate to the Internet Research
Group the accomplishments, milestones reached, or problems discovered by
the participating organizations.

Each organization is expected to submit a 1/2 page report on the first
business day of the month describing the previous month's activities.
These reports should be submitted via network mail to "[email-masked]".

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Details on obtaining the current IMR, or back issues, via FTP or EMAIL
may be obtained by sending an EMAIL message to "[email-masked]" with
the message body "help: ways_to_get_imrs".  For example:

         To: [email-masked]
         Subject: getting imrs

         help: ways_to_get_imrs

or  URL: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/

Ramos                                                           [Page 1]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     IAB MESSAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3
     INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3

  Internet Projects

     INTERNIC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 11
       Network Solutions Report. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 11
       US Domain Registry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 12
     MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 14
     UCL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
     IANA REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
     RFC EDITOR REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 16

  CALENDAR OF EVENTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 17
    TERENA List of Meetings  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 19

Ramos                                                           [Page 2]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     The IAB wants to express its appreciation for the value of the IMR
     over many years and for the efforts of its contributors and
     editors. However, we note that the Web is now widely used as an
     information service, and in particular that the IETF, IANA and RFC
     Editor now have very complete Web sites with current information.
     The IAB has therefore concluded that the IMR was consuming valuable
     resources that could be better directed elsewhere.  We thank you
     all for your dedication on this project over many years.

     The minutes of the IAB back to 1990 are available for anonymous ftp
     access on host ftp.isi.edu, directory /pub/IAB, or via the IAB
     World-Wide Web page with URL http://www.iab.org/iab/.

     Brian Carpenter IAB Chair

INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS
----------------------------

               Internet Monthly Report for December, 1998

  1. The next meeting of the IETF will be held in Minneapolis,
     Minnesota from March 15-19, 1999. This meeting is being hosted by
     Ascend Communications. Registration is scheduled to begin the
     first part of January.

     Following Minneapolis, the IETF meets in Oslo, Norway in July,
     and in Washington, DC in November. Once all arrangements have
     been made, notifications will be sent to the IETF Announcement
     list. Remember that information on future meeting sites can
     always be found in the file 0mtg-sites.txt, located on the IETF
     shadow directories. Of course, this information is provided on
     the Web. The IETF's URL is:

                          http://www.ietf.org/

  2. The minutes of the IESG teleconferences be found on all the IETF
     shadow directories in the /iesg directory.

     The following IESG minutes have been added:

       October 8, 1998 (iesg.98-10-08)
       October 22, 1998 (iesg.98-10-22)
       November 19, 1998 (iesg.98-11-19)

Ramos                                                           [Page 3]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

  3. The IESG approved or recommended the following six Protocol
     Actions during the month of December, 1998:

     o Compressing IP/UDP/RTP Headers for Low-Speed Serial Links for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o IP Header Compression for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o IP Header Compression over PPP for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o The Network Access Identifier for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Mobile Ad hoc Networking (MANET): Routing Protocol Performance
       Issues and Evaluation Considerations for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Users' Security Handbook for publication as an Informational
       RFC.

  4. Nine Last Calls were issued by the IESG during the month of
     December, 1998:

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): Extension for
       Transport Layer Security <draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-tls-04> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for the SONET/SDH Interface Type
       <draft-ietf-atommib-sonetng-05> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Mobility Support in IPv6 <draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-07> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Use of Language Codes in LDAP <draft-ietf-ldapext-lang-01> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Authentication Methods for LDAP
       <draft-ietf-ldapext-authmeth-03> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Using Digest Authentication as a SASL Mechanism
       <draft-leach-digest-sasl-01> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 4]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): Extensions for
       Dynamic Directory Services <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-08>
       for consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Reserved IPv6 Subnet Anycast Addresses
       <draft-ietf-ipngwg-resv-anycast-01> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Transmission of IPv6 over IPv4 Domains without Explicit Tunnels
       <draft-ietf-ipngwg-6over4-01> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

  5. One working group concluded:

            IP Payload Compression Protocol (ippcp)

  6. There were 104 Internet-Draft Actions during the month of
     December 1998:

     (ipngwg)   o IP Header Compression
                  <draft-degermark-ipv6-hc-08.txt>
     (ifmib)    o Definitions of Managed Objects for System and
                  Interface Testing <draft-ietf-ifmib-testmib-04.txt>
     (pppext)   o Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-07.txt>
     (asid)     o Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
                  Extensions for Dynamic Directory Services
                  <draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-dynamic-08.txt>
     (ediint)   o Requirements for Inter-operable Internet EDI
                  <draft-ietf-ediint-req-06.txt>
     (dhc)      o DHCP Options for Service Location Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-slp-06.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Transmission of IPv6 Packets over ARCnet Networks
                  <draft-souvatzis-ipv6-arcnet-05.txt>
     (ediint)   o MIME-based Secure EDI
                  <draft-ietf-ediint-as1-09.txt>
     (rmonmib)  o Remote Network Monitoring MIB Extensions for Switch
                  Networks Version 1.0
                  <draft-ietf-rmonmib-smon-06.txt>
     (ftpext)   o Extensions to FTP <draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-05.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Transmission of IPv6 over IPv4 Domains without
                  Explicit Tunnels <draft-ietf-ipngwg-6over4-01.txt>
     (find)     o A Tagged Index Object for use in the Common
                  Indexing Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-find-cip-tagged-07.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 5]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     (mmusic)   o SIP: Session Initiation Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-11.txt,.ps>
     (idr)      o A Framework for Inter-Domain Route Aggregation
                  <draft-ietf-idr-aggregation-framework-04.txt>
     (none)     o QoS Routing Mechanisms and OSPF Extensions
                  <draft-guerin-qos-routing-ospf-04.txt>
     (roamops)  o Proxy Chaining and Policy Implementation in Roaming
                  <draft-ietf-roamops-auth-09.txt>
     (disman)   o Notification Log MIB
                  <draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-05.txt>
     (ipvbi)    o THE TRANSMISSION OF IP OVER THE VERTICAL BLANKING
                  INTERVAL OF A TELEVISION SIGNAL
                  <draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-01.txt>
     (dnssec)   o Domain Name System Security Extensions
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-secext2-07.txt>
     (ip1394)   o IPv4 over IEEE 1394
                  <draft-ietf-ip1394-ipv4-12.txt,.ps>
     (acap)     o ACAP Personal Addressbook Dataset Class
                  <draft-ietf-acap-abook-03.txt>
     (ngtrans)  o Stateless IP/ICMP Translator (SIIT)
                  <draft-ietf-ngtrans-siit-04.txt>
     (none)     o Using TLS with IMAP4, POP3 and ACAP
                  <draft-newman-tls-imappop-06.txt>
     (nntpext)  o Network News Transport Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-nntpext-base-07.txt>
     (none)     o IMAP4 Implementation Recommendations
                  <draft-leiba-imap-implement-guide-08.txt>
     (dnssec)   o Storing Certificates in the Domain Name System
                  (DNS) <draft-ietf-dnssec-certs-04.txt>
     (cat)      o Generic Security Service Application Program
                  Interface Version 2, Update 1
                  <draft-ietf-cat-rfc2078bis-08.txt>
     (grip)     o Security Expectations for Internet Service
                  Providers <draft-ietf-grip-isp-07.txt>
     (none)     o URLs for GSM Short Message Service
                  <draft-antti-gsm-sms-url-03.txt>
     (smime)    o Cryptographic Message Syntax
                  <draft-ietf-smime-cms-10.txt>
     (smime)    o Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME
                  <draft-ietf-smime-ess-10.txt>
     (find)     o LDAPv2 client Vs the Index Mesh
                  <draft-ietf-find-cip-ldapv2-02.txt>
     (none)     o Japanese Character Encoding for Internet Messages
                  <draft-yamamoto-charset-iso-2022-jp-01.txt>
     (none)     o Anti-Spam Recommendations for SMTP MTAs
                  <draft-lindberg-anti-spam-mta-07.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 6]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     (mpls)     o The Assignment of the Information Field and
                  Protocol Identifier in the Q.2941 Generic
                  Identifier and Q.2957 User-to-user Signaling for
                  the Internet Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-mpls-git-uus-01.txt>
     (smime)    o S/MIME Version 3 Message Specification
                  <draft-ietf-smime-msg-06.txt>
     (smime)    o S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
                  <draft-ietf-smime-cert-06.txt>
     (conneg)   o Media Features for Display, Print, and Fax
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-media-features-03.txt>
     (ipsec)    o A GSS-API Authentication Mode for IKE
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-gss-auth-02.txt>
     (rap)      o The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-rap-cops-04.txt>
     (mpls)     o VCID Notification over ATM link
                  <draft-ietf-mpls-vcid-atm-02.txt>
     (acap)     o ACAP Media Type Dataset Class
                  <draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt>
     (acap)     o ACAP Bookmarks Dataset Class
                  <draft-ietf-acap-book-01.txt>
     (acap)     o ACAP Email Account Dataset Class
                  <draft-ietf-acap-email-01.txt>
     (acap)     o ACAP Email Personality Dataset Class
                  <draft-ietf-acap-pers-01.txt>
     (adslmib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for the ADSL Lines
                  <draft-ietf-adslmib-adsllinemib-04.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o DNS Extensions to Support IP Version 6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-03.txt>
     (none)     o Building Directories from DNS: Experiences from
                  WWWSeeker <draft-rfced-info-moats-03.txt>
     (disman)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote Ping,
                  Traceroute, and Lookup Operations Using SMIv2
                  <draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-03.txt>
     (dhc)      o Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server
                  MIB <draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-02.txt>
     (none)     o RADIUS Vendor Specific Attributes for ACC/Ericsson
                  Datacom Access <draft-ilgun-radius-accvsa-01.txt>
     (none)     o List-Id: A Structured Field and Namespace for the
                  Identification of Mailing Lists
                  <draft-chandhok-listid-03.txt>
     (none)     o The WWW Common Gateway Interface Version 1.1
                  <draft-coar-cgi-v11-01.txt>
     (smime)    o Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method
                  <draft-ietf-smime-x942-04.txt>
     (ipsec)    o A Hybrid Authentication Mode for IKE
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-hybrid-auth-01.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 7]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     (none)     o Reverse Network Address Translators (RAT)
                  <draft-teoyeow-mip-rat-01.txt>
     (tcpimpl)  o TCP Congestion Control
                  <draft-ietf-tcpimpl-cong-control-02.txt>
     (none)     o Simple Multicast: A Design for Simple, Low-Overhead
                  Multicast <draft-perlman-simple-multicast-01.txt>
     (ospf)     o Multicast Extensions to OSPF
                  <draft-ietf-mospf-mospf-01.txt>
     (ipsec)    o IPSec Monitoring MIB <draft-ietf-ipsec-mib-03.txt>
     (conneg)   o A syntax for describing media feature sets
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-feature-syntax-04.txt>
     (fax)      o Content feature schema for Internet fax
                  <draft-ietf-fax-feature-schema-04.txt>
     (conneg)   o W3C Composite Capability/Preference Profiles
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-W3C-ccpp-01.txt>
     (ion)      o Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation
                  Layer 5 <draft-ietf-ion-multiprotocol-atm-01.txt>
     (mboned)   + Scoped Address Discovery Protocol (SADP)
                  <draft-ietf-mboned-sadp-00.txt>
     (tcpimpl)  o The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery
                  Algorithm <draft-ietf-tcpimpl-newreno-01.txt>
     (none)     o UTF-16, an encoding of ISO 10646
                  <draft-hoffman-utf16-01.txt>
     (none)     o Registration for the 'widetext' Media Type
                  <draft-hoffman-widetext-01.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Initial IPv6 Sub-TLA ID Assignments
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-iana-tla-01.txt>
     (none)     o The iCalendar XML DTD
                  <draft-dawson-ical-xml-dtd-01.txt>
     (manet)    + On-Demand Multicast Routing Protocol (ODMRP) for
                  Ad-Hoc Networks <draft-ietf-manet-odmrp-00.txt>
     (none)     + SS7 to IP Signaling Gateway Transport Architecture
                  <draft-glaude-ss7-gw-00.txt>
     (none)     + A Simple SCCP Tunneling Protocol (SSTP)
                  <draft-sanchez-garcia-SSTP-v0r2-00.txt>
     (none)     + A framework for QoS support for open control
                  <draft-ranganathan-gsmp-qos-framework-00.txt>
     (nat)      + An SNMP Application Level Gateway for Payload
                  Address Translation
                  <draft-ietf-nat-snmp-alg-00.txt>
     (mboned)   + Multicast-Friendly Internet Exchange (MIX)
                  <draft-ietf-mboned-mix-00.txt>
     (none)     + Textual Conventions Extension 1
                  <draft-schoenw-snmp-tc-ext-00.txt>
     (none)     + Password Policy for LDAP Directories
                  <draft-vchu-ldap-pwd-policy-00.txt>
     (none)     + IP and ARP over HIPPI-6400 (GSN)
                  <draft-pittet-gsnlan-00.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 8]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     (none)     + Multicast Discovery of DNS Services
                  <draft-manning-multicast-dns-00.txt>
     (mmusic)   + SDP Extensions for Fax over IP Using T.38
                  <draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-t38-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Voice over Differentiated Services
                  <draft-naser-voice-diffserv-eval-00.txt>
     (svrloc)   + Definition of printer:raw-tcp: URLs for use with
                  Service Location
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-rawtcp-printer-scheme-00.txt>
     (none)     + INSIGNIA <draft-lee-insignia-00.txt>
     (idr)      + BGP Route Reflection An alternative to full mesh
                  IBGP <draft-ietf-idr-route-reflect-v2-00.txt>
     (none)     + PPP over SONET (SDH) at Rates from STS-1 (AU-3) to
                  STS-192c (AU-4-64c/STM-64)
                  <draft-merchant-pppext-sonet-sdh-00.txt>
     (none)     + SS7 Level Two over IP
                  <draft-bressler-sigtran-ipss7l2-00.txt>
     (none)     + Tree Delete Control
                  <draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-00.txt>
     (none)     + MTU discovery using TCP MSS and Discussion on MSS
                  value in SYN acknowledgment
                  <draft-bvenkat-mtu-tcpmss-00.txt>
     (ngtrans)  + Dynamic Tunneling: A new method for the IPv4-IPv6
                  Transition <draft-ietf-ngtrans-dti-00.txt>
     (none)     + Simpler and More Secure Architectures for SNMPv3
                  <draft-freeman-snmpv3-sec-00.txt,.ps>
     (mospf)    + MOSPF Prunes <draft-ietf-mospf-prunes-00.txt>
     (ldapext)  + Families of Entries
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-families-00.txt>
     (none)     + An Inter-Gateway Signalling Protocol For VoIP
                  Networks <draft-thomas-sigtran-igsp-00.txt>
     (none)     + Diffie-Helman Key Change Management Information
                  Base and Textual Convention
                  <draft-stjohns-snmpv3-dhkeychange-mib-00.txt>
     (none)     + Cabletron's SecureFast VLAN Operational Model
                  Version 1.8
                  <draft-rfced-info-cabletron-vlan-00.txt>
     (none)     + H.323 Firewall Control Interface (HFCI)
                  <draft-rfced-info-mercer-00.txt>
     (none)     + GUIDE TO ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES OF THE INTERNET
                  INFRASTRUCTURE <draft-rfced-info-iana-00.txt>
     (none)     + Cabletron's VlanHello Protocol Specification
                  Version 4 <draft-rfced-info-cabletron-hello-00.txt>
     (none)     + Cabletron's VLS Protocol Specification
                  <draft-rfced-info-cabletron-vls-00.txt>
     (svrloc)   + The LDAP Service Type
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-ldap-scheme-00.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 9]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     (svrloc)   + The Naming and Directory Service Abstract Type
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-naming-directory-scheme-00.txt>
     (none)     + The NIS Service Type
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-nis-scheme-00.txt>
     (svrloc)   + The NIS+ Service Type
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-nisplus-scheme-00.txt>

  7. 25 RFCs were published during this period

     RFC2355 DS (tn3270e) TN3270 Enhancements
     RFC2393 PS (ippcp)   IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp)
     RFC2394 I  (ippcp)   IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE
     RFC2395 I  (ippcp)   IP Payload Compression Using LZS
     RFC2450 I  (ipngwg)  Proposed TLA and NLA Assignment Rules
     RFC2452 PS (ipngwg)  IP Version 6 Management Information Base
                          for the Transmission Control Protocol
     RFC2454 PS (ipngwg)  IP Version 6 Management Information Base
                          for the User Datagram Protocol
     RFC2460 DS (ipngwg)  Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6)
                          Specification
     RFC2461 DS (ipngwg)  Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)

     RFC2462 DS (ipngwg)  IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
     RFC2463 DS (ipngwg)  Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6)
                          for the Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)
                          Specification
     RFC2464 PS (ipngwg)  Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Ethernet
                          Networks
     RFC2465 PS (ipngwg)  Management Information Base for IP Version
                          6: Textual Conventions and General Group
     RFC2466 PS (ipngwg)  Management Information Base for IP Version
                          6: ICMPv6 Group
     RFC2467 PS (ipngwg)  Transmission of IPv6 Packets over FDDI
                          Networks
     RFC2469 I  (none)    A Caution On The Canonical Ordering Of
                          Link-Layer Addresses
     RFC2470 PS (ipngwg)  Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Token
                          Ring Networks
     RFC2471 E  (ipngwg)  IPv6 Testing Address Allocation
     RFC2472 PS (ipngwg)  IP Version 6 over PPP
     RFC2473 PS (ipngwg)  Generic Packet Tunneling in IPv6
                          Specification
     RFC2474 PS (diffserv)Definition of the Differentiated Services
                          Field (DS Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6
                          Headers
     RFC2475 I  (diffserv)An Architecture for Differentiated Services
     RFC2476 PS (none)    Message Submission

Ramos                                                          [Page 10]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     RFC2478 PS (cat)     The Simple and Protected GSS-API
                          Negotiation Mechanism
     RFC2479 I  (cat)     Independent Data Unit Protection Generic
                          Security Service Application Program
                          Interface (IDUP-GSS-API)

Ramos                                                          [Page 11]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

INTERNET PROJECTS
-----------------

INTERNIC
--------

     NETWORK SOLUTIONS REPORT

     ******************************************************
     *       gopher sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Connections: cat: gopher-server*: No such file or directory
            0
     Retrievals: cat: gopher-server*: No such file or directory
            0
     ******************************************************
     *        wais sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     Retrievals: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     ******************************************************
     *        whois sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Client Queries:  39808638
     Server Queries: 44118164
     ******************************************************
     *         ftp sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   133003
     Retrievals:   181373
     ******************************************************
     *      telnet sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   284194
     ******************************************************
     *       mailserver sessions                          *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:        0
     ******************************************************
     *       http sessions                                *
     ******************************************************
     Retrievals:  41141864
     ops%
     Phones: 69,425
     Emails : 1,077,088

Ramos                                                          [Page 12]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     Updates: 320,764

     by Ricardo A. Gonzalez <[email-masked]>

     THE US DOMAIN REGISTRY

     THE US DOMAIN
     =============

     The US Domain registration information is available online at
     http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     Much of the processing of the requests to the third level domain
     name is now automated. In particular, most requests to register
     names in localities already delegated are automatically forwarded
     to the administrator of that locality.

     US DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
     ====================================

             EMAIL/FAX            2855
             PHONE                  50
             ----------------------------
             Total Contacts       2905

             DELEGATIONS:           61
             FORWARDED REQUESTS:  1431
             OTHER US DOMAIN MSGS:1413
             ---------------------------
             Total                2905

     OTHER US DOMAIN MESSAGES include referrals to other subdomains or
     to/from the InterNic, phone calls, modifications, application
     requests, discussion and clarification of the requests, questions
     about names, resolving technical problems with zone files and name
     servers, and whois listings.

     MAJOR SUBDOMAINS DELEGATED
     ==========================

     K12     CC      TEC     STATE   LIB     MUS     GEN     DST     COG
     ===================================================================
     51      40      36      48      43      25      29      10      6
     ===================================================================

Ramos                                                          [Page 13]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

     THIRD LEVEL DELEGATIONS
     ========================

     LOCALITIES
     ==========
     CLARKE.IA.US.                   BENTON.IA.US.
     KENNESAW.GA.US.                 CAYUGA-HEIGHTS.NY.US.
     HILLSDALE.MI.US.                SOMERVILLE.MA.US.
     MONTCALM.MI.US.                 WEST-GREENWICH.RI.US.
     MACUNGIE.PA.US.                 GLENDALE.CO.US.
     GLADSTONE.MO.US.                REMER.MN.US.
     SAULT-SAINTE-MARIE.MI.US.       ELK-GROVE-VILLAGE.IL.US.
     OCONEE.GA.US.                   FOX-CHAPEL.PA.US.

     OTHERS
     ======
     AKCHIN-TGA.NSN.US.

     OTHER US DOMAIN DELEGATIONS THIS MONTH
     ======================================
     RONNIE.GRANADA-HILLS.CA.US.     WCALC.KINGSTON.RI.US.
     JOES.ALPINE.NJ.US.              CI.AZLE.TX.US.
     CO.SUMTER.FL.US.                CORNELL.STOW.MA.US.
     PA.CADDO.LA.US.                 CI.WESTON.FL.US.
     COURTS.COG.KY.US.               CLERK.CO.CLAY.FL.US.
     PASCO-MOSQUITO.DST.FL.US.       CI.GLENWOOD-SPRINGS.CO.US.
     IN.SAN-QUENTIN.CA.US.           AOC.FRANKFORT.KY.US.
     CO.SHELBY.OH.US.                CI.TIBURON.CA.US.
     CO.JEFFERSON.ID.US.             CI.VERNON.CA.US.
     HARRIS.COCONUT-CREEK.FL.US.     OUTHOUSE.ESHBACH.PA.US.
     HEROINE.TAMPA.FL.US.            CHECK.GEN.KS.US.
     CI.GALESBURG.IL.US.             HOUSE.WINNETKA.CA.US.
     REDDING.SHASTA.CA.US.           TOWN.VERONA.WI.US.
     CI.HIGHLAND-BEACH.FL.US.        CI.EMORY.TX.US.
     DSS.CO.CLAY.NC.US.              AREA51.GROOM-LAKE.NV.US.
     CRESTWOOD.WASHINGTON.DC.US.     LEBLOND.SAINT-JOSEPH.MO.US.
     LCS.K12.VA.US.                  CI.CHEBOYGAN.MI.US.
     EGALLERY.OAKLAND.CA.US.         CI.EAST-PEORIA.IL.US.
     JIMJ.ALTON.NH.US.               WOODLANDACADEMY.K12.VA.US.
     CI.OAK-PARK.MI.US.              RC.RIPON.CA.US.
     POWHATAN.PVT.K12.VA.US.         CI.BELLEVUE.NE.US.
     CI.STROUD.PA.US.                CO.FAIRFIELD.OH.US.

     URL: http://www.isi.edu/us-domain/

     by Brenna Guthrie <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 14]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING
--------------------------

     This report summarizes December 1998 Internet engineering
     activities at Merit Network, Inc. (www.merit.edu).

     The MRT (Multi-Threaded Routing Toolkit) project has joined an
     international industry/university consortium led by NEC
     Corporation, the Furukawa Electric Co., and Sumitomo Electric
     Industries.  The new alliance will focus on development and
     dissemination of standards for QoS, integrated multimedia, priority
     routing, and other networking technologies.  Participating
     universities include the Tokyo Institute of Technology, Hokkaido
     University, Kyoto University, Kyushu University, Hiroshima
     University, Hiroshima City University, Teikyo University, and the
     University of Michigan, Merit's host institution.  For more
     information about MRT, see:

             http://www.merit.edu/mrt/

     At the 43rd IETF in Orlando, Sue Hares chaired the Inter-Domain
     Routing Working Group session and was co-leader of the
     Authentication, Accounting, and Authorization (AAA) BOF.  IETF was
     also the site of an informational GateD meeting that included
     technical briefings, status reports, and administrative updates.
     MRT was used to establish the IPv6 terminal connection at the
     Orlando IETF, and at the previous IETF meeting in Chicago.

     Sue Hares has been active in Internet2 activities in support of the
     QBone, an interdomain testbed for differentiated services.  The
     QBone seeks to provide the higher-education community with end-to-
     end services in support of emerging advanced networked applications
     (see http://www.internet2.edu/qos/qbone/). Hares attended the first
     meeting of the I2 QBone Interoperability Group, and also led the
     first meeting of the Internet2 QBone Bandwidth Broker Advisory
     Council.  Bandwidth Broker services make it possible for networks
     and providers to allocate bandwidth for optimum use of Quality of
     Service/differentiated service technologies.

     by Susan R. Harris <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 15]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

UCL
----

     UCL are now running IPv6 on the CAIRN link and on part of the
     LEARNET network. We are also comparing three different IP QoS/CoS
     queueing schemes - the AltQ, and one from CMU and CBQ - for their
     efficiency in supporting a particular service letvel with a
     particualr utilisation in the CAIRN router environment.

     A collaboration has started with Nortel and Sprint and Sun, on
     seeing if more and possibly simpler IP multicast service  models
     can be accomodated, particualry within an IPv6 addressing
     framework.

     We are working on the implementation details of our watercasting
     scheme (distributed digital watermakring for multicast realtime
     data).

     by John Crowcroft <[email-masked]>

IANA REPORT
-----------

     MIME Media Types                                3
     Multicast Addresses: Individual Assignments     4
     Multicast Addresses: Blocks                     1
     Private Enterprise Numbers                      78
     Port Number Assignments                         44
     SASL Mechanisms                                 1
     Telnet Options                                  6

     by Josh Elliott <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 16]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

RFC EDITOR REPORT
-----------------

     This is a summary of Request for Comments Editor activity for the
     month of December, 1998:

                                  TIME IN QUEUE
     DOCUMENTS        New*   30 days     60 days      90 days      TOTAL
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     Beginning of       0       27          4           24        | 55
     month                                                        |
                                                                  |
     New                7        0          0            0        |  7
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
     Processed          0        5          0           19        | 24
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     End of month       7       22          4            5        | 38

     * New RFCs added to queue throughout the month

     The Requests for Comments (RFCs) are a series of notes, started in
     1969, about the Internet (originally the ARPANET). The notes
     discuss many aspects of computing and computer communication
     focusing in networking protocols, procedures, programs, and
     concepts, but also including meeting notes, opinion, and sometimes
     humor. The specification documents of the Internet protocol suite,
     as defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its
     steering group (the IESG), are published as RFCs.

     RFCs-to-be are edited by the RFC Editor.  RFCs enter the RFC
     Editor's work queue either by an action of the IESG or by
     independent submission.  Most independent submissions are referred
     to the IESG to check for overlap with IETF work.  The IESG might
     put a hold on a document to gather more input from its members.
     The wait for an RFC to be published varies as there can be
     unforeseen complications (typically editorial matters that need
     clarification from the author).  Documents can be removed from the
     publication queue if they are found to be insufficient or incorrect
     or if the IESG asks the author to join work already in progress in
     the IETF.

     by Alegre Ramos <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 17]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

CALENDAR
--------

Last update 1/26/99

The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat as a
means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are requested to
send in dates of events that are appropriate for this calendar section.
Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to:

               <[email-masked]>

Please note: The Secretariat does not maintain on-line information for
the events listed below.

A copy of this calendar is available as follows:

VIA FTP
-------
IETF Information is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

        Northern Europe Address:   ftp.nordu.net (192.36.148.198)
        Southern Europe Address:   ftp.nis.garr.it (193.205.245.10)
        Pacific Rim Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)
        Africa Address:       ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.12)
        West Coast Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)
        US East Coast Address:  ftp.ietf.org

cd ietf
ls *0mtg*

WWW
-------
<http://www.ietf.org/home.html> Click on the link for "meetings" and
you should find an entry "listing of other Internet related events".

************************************************************************

1999
-----

Jan 31-Feb 2      NANOG 15                        Denver, CO

Ramos                                                          [Page 18]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

Feb. 3-5          1999 Network and Distributed System
                   Security (NDSS) Symposium
                   Catamaran Resort Hotel         San Diego, CA
Feb. 7-13         ATM Forum                       Atlanta, GA
Feb. 22-25        USENIX - 3rd Sym. on
                   Oper. Sys Design and
                   Implementation (OSDI '99)      New Orleans, LA
Feb 23-25         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Mar. 8-9          Electronic Payments Forum       San Francisco, CA
Mar. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Austin
Mar. 15-19        44th IETF                       Minneapolis, MN
Mar. 22-25        14th Int'l Unicode Conference   Boston, MA
Mar. 24-Apr 1     ITU Fax Standards Meeting       Geneva, Switzerland
Mar. 24-29        Electronic Messaging Assoc.
                  EMA '99                         Geneva, Switzerland
Mar. 29-31        USENIX                          Cambridge, MA
Apr. 5-9          Networld+Interop 99             Singapore
Apr. 7-10         USENIX                          Santa Clara, CA
Apr. 18-24        ATM Forum                       Rome, Italy
Apr. 26-27        Ninth Int'l Packet Video Wrkshp New York, NY
May 3-7           USENIX                          San Diego, CA
May 10-14         IFIP/IEEE Int'l Symposium on
                   Integrated Network Mgmt        Boston, MA
May 11-14         Networld+Interop '99            Las Vegas, NV
May 11-May 14     8th International World Wide Web
                     Conference                   Toronto, Canada
May 23-25         NANOG 16                        Eugene, OR
May 31-Jun 4      Networld+Interop 99             Tokyo, Japan
Jun 4-6           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jun 7-10          TERENA-NORDUnet Networking 1999 Lund, Sweden
Jun 25-29         INET'99                         San Jose, CA
Jul 5-9           IEEE 802                        Montreal, Canada
Jul 12-14         USENIX                          Seattle, WA
Jul 12-16         45th IETF                       Oslo, Norway
Jul. 18-24        ATM Forum                       New Orleans, LA
Aug. 23-26        USENIX  8th Security Symposium  Washington, DC
Aug. 30-Sep 3     SIGCOMM '99 (West Coast US)     Cambridge, MA
Sep. 21-23         W3C Interest Group Mtg         TBA
Sep. 26-Oct 2     ATM Forum                       Bangkok, Thailand
Oct. 3-6          USENIX  2nd Conf on
                       Domain-Specific Languages  Austin, TX
Oct. 8-14         TELECOM '99                     Geneva, Switzerland
Oct. 11-14        USENIX                          Boulder, CO
Oct. 12-15        IDMS'99                         Toulouse, FRANCE
Oct. 13-17        Networld+Interop '99            Atlanta, GA
Nov. 3-4          Cross-Industry Working Team (XIWT) Crystal City, VA
Nov. 7-12         USENIX Lisa '99                 Seattle, WA
Nov. 8-12         46th IETF                       Wash DC

Ramos                                                          [Page 19]

Internet Monthly Report                                    December 1998

Nov. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Kaui
Nov. 28-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Beverly Hills, CA

2000
----

Feb. 14-18      USENIX  7th TCL/TK Conference     Austin, TX
Mar. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Albuquerque
Mar. 10-14      IEEE 802                          San Diego, CA
MAR 27-31       47th IETF                         Adelaide, Australia
May 9-11        Networld+Interop '00              Las Vegas, NV
late Aug        SIGCOMM 2000                      Europe (tentative)
Sep 25-29       Networld+Interop '00              Atlanta, GA
Nov. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Tampa, FL

     The TERENA Calendar for February 1999 may be found on URL:

     http://www.terena.nl/news/calendar.html

     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

            TERENA Secretariat

            Singel 466-468
            1017 AW Amsterdam
            the Netherlands

            email <[email-masked]>

            tel: +31 20 530 4488
            fax: +31 20 530 4499

     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ramos                                                          [Page 20]