Subject: RE: internet engineering task force - internet society task force ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:42:52 -0500

Sascha,
	This sounds like a good idea on the cover. This would be called a Steering
Committee by definition. The problem with a steering committee is that is
becomes a governing force which will develop its own ideas on where the
internet should be led, and often where others tell them to lead. This often
is not in the best interest of the masses.

	I believe that it is best to leave the IETF to administer "Best Current
Practices" and leave the social aspect of the internet to the individuals
who participate. I certainly don't want someone telling me the protocols I
should be using on a social level. Do you?

I Imagine the OSI Stack would evolve into something like this, you know the
bottom seven already (keep in mind this is totally abstract):

Social Interaction Layer

(would contain information on whether the information contained within the
datagram is "politically or socially correct" or not, or possibly a "cookie"
that checks a "Socially Acceptable Domain Name Server" and makes sure that
the source user is a regulated and socially acceptable individual)

Application Layer

Presentation Layer

Session Layer

Transport Layer

Network Layer

Data Link Layer

Physical Layer

Analogously this is the same as having a dictionary that not only tells us
how to communicate, but what we should communicate (often without the answer
to "Why?"). Remember, a formal language is a structure through which we can
communicate, but communication relies on our ability to say what we feel we
need to say within the conforms of the language. If the language starts
squashing ideas, there is a great loss of communication, because we aren't
able to talk about what we feel is important.

	Remember that we are all individuals. We do not always agree on what is
appropriate, but more importantly we also seem to disagree on what is
important. People learn for themselves much quicker if you let them make
their own mistakes. Discipline is self taught. It cannot be taught by
another, otherwise it will only be a mere shadow of discipline and more
likely end up being anger that is misdirected.

Communication requires freedom, **BUT** Remember that to practice your own
freedom means that you are often and usually taking it away from another.

Basically I am saying I disagree with your suggestion. It is a good idea on
the cover as I said. I hope you don't think I slammed you either, that is
not my intent. I am only trying to communicate "why" I think it is a bad
idea.

Please take no offense because none is intended.

Best Wishes,
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Applications Engineer
-Wave Wireless Networking
-Dev. of SPEEDCOM International
-Phone: 941-358-9283 ext. 327
-Fax: 941-359-0219
-E-mail: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Sascha Ignjatovic [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 11:43 AM
To: ISOC Members Discussion
Cc: [email-masked]; Open discussionlist for ISOC European Coordination
Council
Subject: internet engineering task force - internet society task force ?

internauts !
-sorry ietf folks  but i tought it may be of random interest to you
 as it deals with the complex and not well covered aspect of
 Internet and wholle Society.. and if offers some posible solutions..
 wich means it could be a kind of "sister/brother organisation" to ietf..

i "got" a really great idea-actualy it may be it is a genious idea :-)

as there is the internet engineering task force
for the technical standardisation of the internet technogie

and there is no organised dealing with the non strictly technical aspect
of the Internet network and its influence on society and vice versa..

and for some time there is a "demanded" for such organisation ..

now the time is comming where the "solution" is visible..

INTERNET SOCIETY TASK FORCE

means a international task force wich deals with societal aspects of the
Internet .. :-)

it describes perfect what it is about-and it is very needed..
and also the name "coincidence" with "internet society" is also very
desayarable as we always wanted to make the internet society
the basis for such international organisation with enough creadibility and
know how to take such dificult aspect of broather internet matters and
society ...

maybe that somebody else haved this same thoughts but i am really
excited to have it now and i would like to share it with you

becouse for me this is the "solution"

having isoc developing further its leading position on global internet
matters and also having a organised infrastructure and competence for
dealing with such complex matters as "non-technical" Internet aspect..

wow ..!:-)

in that light it is easy to understand that similar to technical topics
of the internet wich are developed by many working gropus within the
internet engineering task force   similar we may develope

scientific  political  economical  cultural = societal.. topics

wich we may discuss and work about  in this

internet society task force..

what do you think..?

thanks
sascha
ps.i am really sorry if i have done something "wrong" ..:-)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:42:52 -0500

Sascha,

Social Interaction Layer

Application Layer

Presentation Layer

Session Layer

Transport Layer

Network Layer

Data Link Layer

Physical Layer

Best Wishes,
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Applications Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: Sascha Ignjatovic [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 11:43 AM
To: ISOC Members Discussion
Cc: [email-masked]; Open discussionlist for ISOC European Coordination
Council

internauts !

wow ..!:-)

what do you think..?

thanks
sascha