Subject: Learning about IPv8 and IPv16

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 02:23:33 -0600

People sometimes write, asking how they can learn
more about IPv8 and IPv16. I am often surprised that
they do not know anything about IPv4 and are trying
to first learn IPv6. My first suggestion for anyone trying
to understand IPv8 and/or IPv16 is to learn IPv4...once
you do that, IPv8 and IPv16 are trivial...especially, if
you keep these things in mind as you learn IPv4...

1. The 4-bit version field tells a lot about a packet...
2. IPv4 packet HEADER can be viewed as a series of BITS...
3. The left 2 bits of the 4-bit version field tell a lot about the
version...as follows...

00 - ???
01 - IPv4 (or IPv6)
10 - IPv8
11 - IPv8 with options following header

4. In IPv16 we drop the entire 4-bit version field...it is not needed...it
is wasteful...

...the rest is easy...

JF

---

From: Mark Boolootian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:47:06 -0800

> 1. The 4-bit version field tells a lot about a packet...

Jim Fleming is trying to confuse you.  The IP version field
is 4 bits.  IP version 4 is the Internet Protocol as described
in RFC 791.  IP version 6 is described in RFC 1752.  IP version 8
is PIP and is described in RFC 1621.  IP version 16 can't
exist given a 4 bit field for version number.

What are Jim Fleming's motives?  Why does he rail against the
very processes that have made the Internet the incredible
success it is today?  Why hasn't he submitted an Internet Draft
describing his architectures?  Why does he believe that he must
work outside the system?  Who does he work for?  Who exactly is
Jim Fleming?

Jim Fleming is trying to confuse you.

---

From: Mark Boolootian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:47:06 -0800