Subject: RE: [IFWP] Re: (!) Vint Cerf designing network for solar system ( !)

From: "Finney, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:28:54 -0800

Ronda,
I would not suggest squelching Bob if he would just stop his personal
attacks on people instead of focusing on the issues.

Mike Finney
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Ronda Hauben [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Friday, March 12, 1999 9:42 AM
	To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
	Cc:	[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
	Subject:	Re:  [IFWP] Re: (!) Vint Cerf designing network for
solar system (!)

	The Internet has been built on a principle
	of welcoming all views. And this is for good
	<snip>

	Let the debate begin in the tradition of the Internet, not
	behind closed doors or in private email, but openly and 
	welcoming of all into the fray.

	Ronda
	[email-masked]

---

From: "Finney, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:28:54 -0800

Ronda,

Mike Finney

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Ronda Hauben [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Friday, March 12, 1999 9:42 AM
	To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
	Cc:	[email-masked]; [email-masked];

	Ronda
	[email-masked]

---

From: Ronda Hauben <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:59:09 -0500 (EST)

>attacks on people instead of focusing on the issues.

Mike,

Good to get your comments. But maybe the problem isn't Bob commenting
about people, but rather that people need to own up to their
own "conflicts of interest" in the discussion so that it can
be carried own with the best interests of the Internet having
a chance to be considered, rather than a set of hidden agendas
and interests who are trying to divert the issuese.

I saw a post a while back where Vint Cerf suggested that people
participating in a discussion say what their biases and conflicts
with regard to the discussion wee. Yet I haven't seen him do
that nor most others in this ICANN discussion, where the 
conflicts of interest are being structured into the foundation
of the entity that is being created.

And hence there are those who are trying to divert or make the 
discusison impossible and have a material interest in doing that.

Is there any reason that the IETF hasn't taken this more seriously
in a more public way? There are very real issues to be clarified
in all this and that isn't happening. And the protocols are too
important to make them hostage to this secret jokeying for power
that is ICANN. (As are the IP numbers, domain names, root server
system etc.)

	
Ronda

             Netizens: On the History and Impact
               of Usenet and the Internet
          http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/
            in print edition ISBN 0-8186-7706-6