Subject: Al Gore 'created the internet'

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:16:39 +0000 (GMT)

http://www.wired.com/news/print_version/politics/story/18390.html?wnpg=all

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
 initiative in creating the Internet." 
   -- Al Gore.

Boy, does the IETF and the US political process have problems here, or
what?

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Ari Ollikainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:33:07 -0800

>Boy, does the IETF and the US political process have problems here, or
        No...

        Vice President Gore's active role in National Information
        Infrastructure policy can be traced to his days as a Senator.
        In 1986 he introduced legislation to enable the Office of Science and
        Technology Policy to provide Congress with an analysis of U.S.
        networking needs. Some of us out here actually provided significant
        input to that analysis. As a result, in 1988 he introduced the
        National High Performance Computing and Communications Act that was
        signed by President Bush into Public Law 102-194 in 1991. His
        commitment within the current Administration is a continuation of
        these efforts.

      OLTECO                    Ari Ollikainen
      P.O. BOX 3688             Networking Technology and Architecture
      Stanford, CA              [email-masked]
      94309-3688                415.517.3519

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:59:56 -0500

Before this becomes a tempest in a teapot, it is fact that while
a senator, VP Gore was instrumental in legislation that followed
the NSFNET to create what was called the High Performance Computing
and Communication initiative (HPCC/NREN) which later led to the Next 
Generation Internet program. I don't know that the quote shown is accurate,
but it is fair to say that VP Gore has been a very strong proponent
of the development and use of Internet-based technologies for at
least 12 years, and continues to be a strong advocate to this day.

I'm grateful for his support and that of the administration in the
development and use of Internet.

Vint

><[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>
=================================================================

See you at INET'99, San Jose, CA, June 22-25,1999 
http://www.isoc.org/inet99/

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:31:38 +0000

At 13:46 12/03/99 +0000, Lloyd Wood wrote:

>Would you mind also telling us who, during their service in the United
>States Congress, took the initiative in creating the hot potatoe that
..........................................................^^^^^^^
>is DNS?

That must have been Dan Quayle!

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:31:38 +0000

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: "Michael Little" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:37:33 EST

Kill this thread... there is no valid point to continuing it...

>From: Graham Klyne 
>To: Lloyd Wood 
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Al Gore 'created the internet'
>Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:31:38 +0000
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>From [email-masked] Fri Mar 12 10:01:26 1999
>Received: from [132.151.1.176] by hotmail.com (1.2) with SMTP id 
MHotMailB8B2A16E6BEB5D1017081849701B0A34A0; Fri Mar 12 10:01:26 1999
>Received: by ietf.org (8.9.1a/8.9.1a) id MAA07662for 
[email-masked]; Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:40:01 -0500 (EST)
>Received: from pegasus.group5.co.uk (mailhost.group5.co.uk 
[193.128.238.226])by ietf.org (8.9.1a/8.9.1a) with ESMTP id MAA07356for 
; Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:30:35 -0500 (EST)
>Received: from GK-Portable (unverified [204.179.134.11]) by 
pegasus.group5.co.uk(Rockliffe SMTPRA 2.1.5) with SMTP id ;Fri, 12 Mar 
1999 17:22:07 +0000
>Message-Id: 
>X-Sender: [email-masked]
>X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0 (32)
>

Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: "Michael Little" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:37:33 EST