Subject: Re: Official listing of "public" reference software for IETF specs

From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 00:57:47 -0500 (EST)

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
   Date: 30 Jan 1999 12:21:08 -0500

   Peter Dawson <[email-masked]> writes:
   > Out of academic interest.. What would be the definition of
   > "open source" ?

   www.opensource.org has a definition that is widely accepted. look
   there if you are interested.

Note that Open Source (tm) is a trademarked term.  As such,
www.opensource.org contains the *only* definition of Open Source that
may be used if you wish to mark your software as meeting the
requirements of Open Source.  (Note that all of the different styles of
licenses discussed to date: BSD-style, apache-style, GPL-style, etc. all
qualify under the Open Source(tm) definition.)

						- Ted

---

From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 00:57:47 -0500 (EST)

- Ted