Subject: RE: Question about: The IETF+Censored list

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:02:33 -0500

Harald,
	Thanx for the list. I just have a usage question. Do I still have to post
to the [email-masked] list, or can we send directly to yours?

	Scot

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 1999 7:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FAQ: The IETF+Censored list

                        The IETF+Censored mailing list

   At times, the IETF list is subject to debates that have little to do
   with the purposes for which the IETF list was created. Some people
   would appreciate a "quieter" forum for the relevant debates that take
   place, but the IETF's policy of openness has so far prevented the IETF
   from imposing any censorship policy on the [email-masked] list.

   To give people an alternative, there is a list called
   "[email-masked]".

   This list is a sublist (that is, it gets the same messages as) the
   open IETF discussion list. However, this list will not forward all
   messages; in particular, the filters have been set so that persons and
   discussions that are, in the view of Harald Alvestrand, irrelevant to
   the IETF list are not forwarded.

   Because this filter is automated, the criteria include:
     * Well known troublemakers
     * Well known crosspostings
     * Subjects that have led to recent non-conclusive exchanges
     * Some ways to say "unsubscribe"

   To join the list, [1]send the word "subscribe" in the BODY of a
   message to [email-masked] (the URL here is an RFC
   2368 mailto URL that does the Right Thing).

   For fun, there is a special list for the rejected messages:
   [email-masked] - subscribe in the same fashion,
   by [2]mail to [email-masked]

   By public request, the current set of filters are listed at
   [3]http://www.alvestrand.no/cgi-bin/hta/ietf+censored-filters

   Some statistics on postings, which may be useful in getting a
   perspective on the effects of the filter, are at
   [4]posting-counts.html (started Oct 14, 1998).

   This page is http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf+censored.html, and is
   posted monthly in text form to [email-masked]
     _________________________________________________________________

   Harald Tveit Alvestrand [5]< [email-masked]>

References

   1. mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe
   2. mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe
   3. http://www.alvestrand.no/cgi-bin/hta/ietf+censored-filters
   4. http://www.alvestrand.no/posting-counts.html
   5. mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:02:33 -0500

Harald,

	Scot

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 1999 7:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FAQ: The IETF+Censored list

References

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:15:43 -0800

>to the [email-masked] list, or can we send directly to yours?

I would suggest you post to the IETF list. The "censored" list is Harald's
select subset of IETF list messages; to the extent that the list content
further diverges, I believe that is a dis-service to the community.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:15:43 -0800