Subject: Fwd: "La Loi de l'Internet" 19+20 Mars 1999

From: Casey Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:11:45 -0800 (PST)

note: forwarded msg attached.

==

Casey Farrell;
Information Designer
San Francisco

[email-masked]
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Subject: "La Loi de l'Internet" 19+20 Mars 1999
From: Casey Farrell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:32:13 -0800 (PST)

Casey Farrell;                       Feb. 25, 1999
Information Designer
San Francisco, California

Attn: Olivier Iteanu;        RE:"La Loi de l'Internet"
      Avocat a la Cour-
      Secretaire General
      ISOC, FRANCE

          Dear Olivier Iteanu,

    Bon Jour! I was struck with the combination of letters which
comprise your name! You must pardon me
but I really would like to explain my interest. The
vowels contained within your name follow this order...

  ....'O' 'I' 'E' 'A' 'U'....without repetition,

and to find this while looking for the ISOC so that I
might write announcing my designwork..."OIEAU!" If you
search the Internet you may find a reference here and there about this
"new" French word which I have made up
or invented, or coined, again; with all due respect-
I say that this word..."OIEAU!" is pronounced "WOW!"

  And further, when I had decided upon this idea for
a title for a children's book which would use French
as the 1st language, from which the other translations are based...and
that the idea would be to have the
story be based in Paris-and the narration would be by
"Five Girls" (Cincque Filles)each one would have their
first name initial as one of our title; 'O','I,' etc.
Thereby together as a team-the adventures of these five
would "WOW!" the audience.

  The reason for bringing this into French is that my
other current designwork in English, which is older,
is moving very slowly-and as I have a French heritage
(The French figured prominently in the establishment of
both San FRANCisco and California, and it is surmised
that the actual re-naming of the City was a token of
honor to the French, as there were previous names...!)
That story, which is the history of the state is titled
 "California Star" and the URL can be seen at;

    http://www.cam.org/home/Wcoprod/mmpro.htm

 I would like to work with the best writers and artists
that France has today to orchestrate a beautiful story
which is based in Paris and involves and is "playing"
on the Internet! The only thing todate which has led
linguists to supposing that French couldn't stand up to English as a
language is the lack of the word "WOW!"
That was the "secret" technological word!

 "OIEAU!" starts out with Five Girls in Paris...Annette
Iris, etc... who are from FRANCE, BELGIUM, SWITZERLAND
LUXEMBOURG and MONACO! They go out site-seeing, and
buy clothes, attend schools, see plays, visit the country-side! etc. (
In ALL the afore-named countries!)

  While reading the Feb.22, '99 dispatches and notes
from off the ISOC board-titles such as "Un espace de
citoyenne mondiale a conquerir"...this is the natural
graffitti of the Roman alphabet...but if we then take
the regular uses as found within written sentences-and
apply instead the principle that a "code" word might
be found in French that all of a sudden makes this
language with its wrting a form of decoration which 
spans history and geography from antiquity to now...
it is painting, architecture, travel, etc. All one
needs, all that is required, is the "magic" DECODER
ring...which in this case is just one exclamation in
joy & revelry of all that we call "French!" ("Oieau!")

 The whole school system in Paris could be spun off of
this one "catch" word..."OIEAU!" ( French for "Wow!"

  "Curriculum" being brought to Europe in French...?

  ....and they have not only an INTERNET "show"...
but a comic book, a clothing line, and other merchandise.  I would
like very much to "give" this
to the people of FRANCE, and would ask in exchange 
only that I be allowed to direct the production, at a
fair salary or in the positon of an artist who has a
grant or sponsor, or patron. I have already had this to
the attention of the former president of Apple Computer; Jean-Louis
Gassee ( BE,Inc.) & presented to
well-known localization expert here in San Francisco,
Mr. Normier; but both are busy in the non-"convergence"
arena of hi-tech and not really convinced of the true
advantage of "sticking" with the French language!

 Now because of fibreoptics, wireless, and a hundred other means and
methods in which to connect-up the
public with the Internet-ANY...language is viable!

  With the effort of a "John Houston" or "Orson Welles"
or two in the background, (locals, of course!) I could
right now...take all the "universality" of the 1st
production(California Star) and put this into "OIEAU!"
which will be also the "OFFICIAL" name of the NUMBER 1
FRENCH LANGUAGE SEARCH-ENGINE/PORTAL/GATEWAY/INTERNET!
Currently I have some experts lined up and ready to go
who are conversant with all forms of new technology-
but I also have some of the best writers one could find
and together we can put some "color" and "music" into
the Internet via the "French Technological Revolution!"

   Thank you for your time-if it is allowable under the
laws of France-I would like for you to consider both
taking this letter/proposal to the Committee which has
authority over the Internet Festival and it's Laws-and
see if the group might want to "hire" me as a composer
in order to pull together a Franco-phone company. Few
people in the world do not acknowledge the superiority
of French ideas on cultural innovation and while they
also appreciate deeply the genuine manner in which a
tradition can be maintained-we will make all that new!
The world doesn't have to be all English speaking!
Everyone... everywhere can participate! 

  ( I spoke French as a child and can easily bring
off a conversation once I get started-but I haven't been able to keep
it up these last several years!)

  Please let me know if ISOC can sponsor me-if you

 would know how to get these corporate enterprises

 founded within France and where to apply  in order to

  secure funding...but at least could we try having

 "OIEAU!" as the "Official CHEER!" this March?

  Merci Beaucoup,

 Casey Farrell

[email-masked]

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:18:20 -0700 (MST)

> Wow, are they now giving out free acid with those free Yahoo mail accounts?

Probably not, but consider that a free email account is the
InfoSuperHypeWay equivalent of a "rescue mission" or a "homeless shelter."

I often discard U.S.Postal Service junk mail unopened.  I wouldn't get
get excited about a delivery failure for paper mail with a return address
of J.Smith, General Delivery, New York, New York.  I've also found that
rejecting email from the free provders has reduced my spam load by more
than 60% according to my logs.

It would make sense for the IETF to direct all email submitted from or
with a free ISP return address to a human to discard unread, or optionally,
given spare time, to read and forward useful nugets to the list.  People
who use free email services cannot expect their readers to value their
email more than they do.

Yes, I realize the free services are not really free, that their users
pay for their priviledges by enduring junk and advertising.  That also
does not imply anything good about email sent from the free providers.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:01:24 -0800 (PST)

> who use free email services cannot expect their readers to value their

I think this would be a very bad idea!  There are people who use free
email services because they cannot afford the for-pay services, because
no for-pay services exist in their area, and for numerous other reasons.
It should not be assumed that these people's submissions should be treated
any differently than anyone else's.

--gregbo

---

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:01:24 -0800 (PST)

--gregbo

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:54:53 -0700 (MST)

I meant the proposal seriously.  It would help the list if it had weak
filtering.  Limiting automatic posting to those at ISP's that know their
subscribers plus a small list of those who have made special arrangements
would reduce the noise.  I'm not talking about libraries and the very few
other genuine free-nets, since you almost never seen anything from them.

The big free commercial ISPs are characterized by not knowing their
customers.  The others have credit card numbers or at least street
addresses for billing.  Thus, blocking could be imposed fairly, without
legitimate complaints of censorship by requiring that the ISP affirm it
has an identity at least as good as a credit card number for its customers.
(Yes, many people don't have credit cards, but there are also cash accounts
with billing addresses.)

Unfortunately, given the money involved at the so called free commercial
ISP's, I don't really expect such blocking to happen--for a few years.

> From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>

> any differently than anyone else's.

Who can afford to use a free commercial ISP but not $20/month?  How do
they afford the telephone, modem and computer?  Don't many people use
those free services by paying $20/month for a real account and then
"signing in over the web"?

I've been watching some IETF lists for years.  Several times in recent
months I've composed and discarded proposals to block the free outfits.
Meanwhile I've carefully watched for sane messages from them.  There are
only a very few authors who send from the free services and contribute to
any IETF list.  Almost all (but again not quite all) who write from the
free ISP's have "distinctive" voices.  The very few others who use the
free services could be provided for.

The nature of the traffic from the commercial free services is whatever
it is.  If it is impolitic to point out the nature of the free providers,
isn't it worse to see anything derogatory in the inescapable parallels
between free ISPs and homeless shelters?  Actually, homeless shelters have
far closer ties to and control of their customers than the free ISP's.
You don't see many people pushing pyramid frauds, gambling, stock frauds,
or pornography from homeless shelters.

] From: Carl Malamud <[email-masked]>

] ...
] While you're at it, perhaps you should institute a means test
] before accepting email.  This kind of elitist nonsense may
] make a lot of sense for rich standards professionals like
] yourself, but it is about as far away from the IETF ethos as
] possible.

There are legitimate reasons to use the free ISP's, but money is not one.
People who cannot afford $15-20/month, but have a computer and telephone
to use one of the commercial free email providers should sell the computer
to pay the rent or get some training to become a rich professional.  They
should not waste time writing treatises on the convergence of the net and
education.  While some of us "rich standards professionals" got that way
from well below the poverty line, it isn't done by spending time and money
on things like the surfing the web.

I've nothing against people out to make an honest buck including the free
ISP's, but saying the commercial free ISP's are charities supporting the
poor?--SHEESH!  Next we'll here that the commercial TV networks are
charities.  Those who know that the free commercial email services do not
subsidize the poor but imply the contrary have nothing to do with any
ethos I'd like to claim.

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:54:53 -0700 (MST)

] ...

---

From: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 8:28:01 MET

> Wow, are they now giving out free acid with those free Yahoo mail accounts?

Apparently free acid is a supplement to the basic service.

> Derrell

--Johnny

---

From: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 8:28:01 MET

--Johnny

---

From: John Ioannidis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 02:49:49 -0500 (EST)

> "signing in over the web"?

I was just composing a message with that same question.

More to the point, anyone in a position to contribute to the Internet
ENGINEERING process (which is presumably what this list should be
about) would be affiliated with a university, research organization,
vendor, consulting firm, or other corporate entity, with a real domain
name.  If this observation constitutes elitism, so be it!

I'm sure there are smart people on the net who do not fit this
profile; there also are lots of fora for them to express their
opinions -- it's just that the IETF happens NOT to be one of them!

/ji

PS: Just for kicks, grep through the I-D and RFC archives.  There
isn't a single one of them from bigfoot.com, hotmail.com,
rocketmail.com, or yahoo.com (to mention just four "free" email
providers).  I think any comments would be superfluous.

---

From: "Biggerstaff, Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:45:39 -0600

While not disputing the [dismal] track record of free mail contributors, I
would point out a couple of things:

1.	The IETF is supposedly "open to any interested individual", or says
as much at <http://www.ietf.org/overview.html>.  I don't see anything about
limiting input to research organizations.

If you're going to backtrack from this policy, you might as well start
charging thousands of dollars of yearly dues too.  But then, the ISO already
does this, so you might as well disband while you're at it.  The world
doesn't need yet another expensive, glacial standards organization.

2.	There are legitimate reasons for people with existing Internet
access to use the free mail accounts.  In particular, it gives people an
e-mail account that isn't tied to one's ISP, employer, or university.

If the existence of free mail accounts fills your box with the rantings of
kooks, well, you are free to killfile them yourself.  Please don't make this
an organizational issue.

-- Craig Biggerstaff
speaking for myself only, of course

> ----------
> From: 	John Ioannidis[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Reply To: 	[email-masked]
> Sent: 	Tuesday, March 09, 1999 1:49 AM
> To: 	[email-masked]
> Subject: 	Re: Fwd: "La Loi de l'Internet" 19+20 Mars 1999
>

---

From: "Biggerstaff, Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:45:39 -0600

-- Craig Biggerstaff