Subject: Re: Minneapolis terminal room post-mortem

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:56:40 -0600

In message <3.0.5.32.19990318171849.009e3d70@porky>, Matt Holdrege writes:
>We aren't actually ready to kill the terminal room yet, but I wanted to get
>this out now rather than later.

Other than the dhcp problems one evening, I thought things worked fairly
well.  I had to get a static address at one point; soon thereafter,
dhcp started giving me an address on a different subnet, and all was fine.

Here's a suggestion for the future, though:  let IETF members sign up
for permanent domain names under meetings.ietf.org or some such.  Then
couple the dhcp server with a dynamic dns update.  It's always fun to
eat your own dog food...

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:20:22 -0600

>couple the dhcp server with a dynamic dns update.  It's always fun to

We'll my suggestion would be a BOF in Oslo on standardizing the whole log
in procedure for Terminal Room type operations.  This is not such a silly
idea as it might sound. Every time I stuck my head in the Terminal Room I
muttered under my breath .. gee ..how much would I pay to get that kind of
access in my hotel room. I've been tracking a number of vendors who are
looking at designing systems that could Ethernet Frame IP on the standard
twisted pair running into hotel rooms. I'm sure someone out there is
looking at doing the same thing with the co-ax cable that delivers the TV
signal as well. Same thing goes for airports as well. I don't even want to
think of how many times I've been stuck in an airport with my laptop,
ethernet card installed and would have gladly paid good money to plug it in
to a RJ-45 connection.

If the general principal of terminal room operations were simplified with a
stupid proof protocol.. a little AAA, VPN support etc....then all we would
need is an IETF meeting, some interested vendors and some poor Hotel
willing to be a beta test site. 

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
eFAX 815.333.1237  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:20:22 -0600

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC