Subject: Additional info on Oslo and Norway

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:50:25 -0800 (PST)

Following Harald's intro last night, let me just add a few items that
IETFers may find useful.

1. If you can't find a telephone adapter plug for Norway, try using
   one from either Italy, Finland or Turkey. They all work, but don't
   ask me why it came to be so.

2. Peppe's Pizza. You have to try it, it's really the best in the world.
   There are several outlets in Oslo and in other major cities in Norway.
   This could be the least expensive way to eat in Norway, actually.

3. Fresh peel-and-eat shrimp off the boats in front of the Town Hall
   (Raadhuset).

4. Renting a car is expensive, gasoline is expensive, speeding is very
   expensive and don't even think about having more than one beer before
   driving. (Hint: the limit is 0.05% in Norway, beyond that it's more
   than expensive).

5. Take the train heading to  Bergen, get off at Flam and take the side
   line down to the fjord and the ferry to Bergen if you have an extra
   day or two.

6. As Harald said: bringing duty free for the Norwegians is a good thing
   :-) It could also save you some money if you're planning to have a
   drink. The duty on alcohol in Norway is about 150% and anything
   stronger than beer is only available from Vinmonopolet, the state
   monopoly which has inconvenient opening hours by design.

7. Climb to the top of the ski-jump (Holmenkollen) and enjoy the view.

8. Enjoy the fjord, the beaches, and clean air and water.

See you in Oslo!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen 
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Tel: +1 408-527-8972
e-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

VP for Chapters, The Internet Society.
See you @ INET'99, San Jose, CA, June 22-25. http://www.isoc.org/inet99/

---

From: "Herman R. Silbiger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:06:00 -0500

You may also encounter RJ11s in Norway.  They use a different pinout from the
US and most other countries: Pins 1 and 2 are tip and ring.

Herman

---

From: "Herman R. Silbiger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:06:00 -0500

Herman

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:15:13 +0100

>US and most other countries: Pins 1 and 2 are tip and ring.

Newer RJ11s (post -87 or so) are normal.
The deviant RJ11s are usually found on the phone end of phone cords
to a certain generation of touch-tone phones.

The telephone plug insanity is slowly dying off....

                Harald

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:15:13 +0100

Harald