Subject: "potluck" terminal room

From: "William Allen Simpson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 99 12:25:43 GMT

> From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
> Sometimes I think we expect too much.
>...
> Perhaps, once every year or two, we should have a "potluck terminal room".
> The host would provide a pipe with adequate bandwidth, and a router with
> a sufficient number of Ethernet interfaces.  Either the host or the
> secretariat would provide a large room with tables and chairs, and
> coordination.  There would be a sign-up list for all remaining services
> and equipment.  ...
>                   Those who do would get a colored dot on their nametags.
> In the event of insufficient resources, folks with a dot on their nametags
> could pre-empt those who had not seen fit to contribute.

I think this is an excellent idea!

And, based on experience for bakeoffs and other meetings, it would
probably work just fine.  Many the time I've seen an experienced IETF'er
lend a hand, or a missing piece of equipment.  Let's try it for a couple
of IETFs in a row.

[email-masked]
    Key fingerprint =  17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26  DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32

---

From: John Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:43:46 +0100

>Let's try it for a couple
>of IETFs in a row.

Please, no. [Just in case this was not a joke.]

The formerly-silent majority are, I perceive, more than happy with the
progress that has been made over the last few IETFs in providing this facility.

John

---

From: John Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:43:46 +0100

John

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:58:20 -0500

> Please, no. [Just in case this was not a joke.]

[I was wondering if anyone would ask...]

It was not a serious proposal - more of a thought experiment.  

I really doubt that a potluck terminal room is practical on the scale 
that I described it, and most people wouldn't want to carry an extra 
Ethernet hub in their checked luggage.  Our current approach is much
easier.

I do like the idea of recruiting meeting attendees to show up early
and help out when needed (whether with the terminal room or something
else) and of having special dots on the nametags for those who do so.  
Not only might it reduce costs, such an exercise in cooperation might
also help to establish a more constructive attitude towards building 
standards that benefit us all.

Keith

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:58:20 -0500

Keith