Subject: Re: DRUMS procedural problems: a case study

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:03:30 +0100

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999, D. J. Bernstein <[email-masked]> wrote:

>In cases where the rest of us disagree with the editor, the burden is on
>us to (1) continue raising objections until the DRUMS management agrees
>to allow the issue at an in-person meeting, (2) prove consensus at the
>meeting, and (3) object again when the editor ignores the consensus.

    So, according to Dan logic, "the rest of us" == 1, namely you.  With
math logic like that, it's a wonder your crypto code compiles at all,
much less actually protects anything.

    It seems to me that you are the one who is bound and determined to
define molehill == mountain, and not just any mountain, but Mount Everest.

    Yes, there has actually now been one person who has stepped forward
and said that they preferred the old logic.  And if we get another person
or two to step forward and say something along the same lines, then maybe
this is something we need to revisit.  Myself, I would much prefer being
extremely explicit in the grammar, but that's just my personal preference.

    However *no* one has stepped forward to say one word about the way
that the consensus was reached, especially that there is some sort of
cabal whereby certain people guarantee that they get what they want in
the standard, and that you (poor little helpless defenseless child that
you are) can't get your own temper-tantrums satisfied by having your own
way on everything.

    If there were wide agreement with your ideas, we would certainly hear
about them from the other members.  In fact, if there were even sparse
agreement, I'm sure we'd hear about them.  Hell, every once in a blue
moon, I actually find myself agreeing with you, although God only knows why.

    The fact that no one has stepped forward to confirm your Oliver
Stone-esque conspiracy theories would tend to indicate that they are just
the ravings of a lunatic, a fact about your behaviour which I doubt is
likely to surprise any of us.

-- 
  These are my opinions -- not to be taken as official Skynet policy
 ____________________________________________________________________
|o| Brad Knowles, <[email-masked]>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                The Sky is no longer the limit

---

From: Tim DiLauro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:15:40 -0500 (EST)

> likely to surprise any of us.

And thank you, Brad, for another useless and uninformative personal attack
message.

-timmo

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim DiLauro                          Milton S. Eisenhower Library
Library Systems Jack                 Johns Hopkins University
(410) 516-5263                       3400 N. Charles Street
[email-masked]                        Baltimore, MD  21218
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim DiLauro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:15:40 -0500 (EST)

-timmo