Subject: IPv4, IPv8, and IPv16

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:17:44 -0600

IPv4, IPv8 and IPv16 are being developed to work together.
This requires architecture. A "flat-network" view of the world,
such as IPv6, does not require any architecture. That makes
life simple, and allows the IETF to avoid the hard problems,
which eventually have to be solved. In my opinion, the IETF
is largely the equivalent of a "street-gang" of technical "thugs"
who think they control the playground. Fortunately, more and
more people are seeing what they are all about, and just route
around them to and from other more interesting activities. I
suggest that people just route around the IETF...and maybe
they will all end up on Mars...those of us on planet Earth still
have a lot of work to do...and are not distracted by the noise
from Mars...or other parts of the IETF outerspace...

JF

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:52:33 -0800

At 01:17 AM 3/13/99 -0600, Jim Fleming wrote:
>In my opinion, the IETF
>around them to and from other more interesting activities.

Well, Mr. Fleming, welcome back. We missed you, no doubt. There was too
much signal on the list for a while, and we needed the additional noise.
You are welcome to your opinions, with my blessing; that fact that you
think ill of us probably means we're doing something right.

To help you route around us, I will instruct the Executive Director of the
IETF to disable your posting privileges on [email-masked] for the coming week.

I will do this not because I have something against you or against your
commentary - which is very appropriate to a list specified for that topic -
but because your commentary is off-topic in this forum (the appropriate
topic being the engineering of the Internet, and of the policies and
procedures of the IETF), is ad hominem, and lacks both technical content
and content related to the policies and practices of the IETF. The only
mention of the topic you propose in the subject line is in the first two
sentences of your note - you're not even on your own topic.

And, I suppose, because of your stated desire to be rid of us. We do try to
cooperate with the desires of our contributors in these things.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:52:33 -0800