Subject: Re:Al Gore 'created the internet'

From: Ari Ollikainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:33:07 -0800

>http://www.wired.com/news/print_version/politics/story/18390.html?wnpg=all
>
>"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
> initiative in creating the Internet."
>   -- Al Gore.
>
>Boy, does the IETF and the US political process have problems here, or
>what?
>
        No...

        Vice President Gore's active role in National Information
        Infrastructure policy can be traced to his days as a Senator.
        In 1986 he introduced legislation to enable the Office of Science and
        Technology Policy to provide Congress with an analysis of U.S.
        networking needs. Some of us out here actually provided significant
        input to that analysis. As a result, in 1988 he introduced the
        National High Performance Computing and Communications Act that was
        signed by President Bush into Public Law 102-194 in 1991. His
        commitment within the current Administration is a continuation of
        these efforts.

      OLTECO                    Ari Ollikainen
      P.O. BOX 3688             Networking Technology and Architecture
      Stanford, CA              [email-masked]
      94309-3688                415.517.3519

---

From: Mike Truskowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:15:07 -0800 (PST)

So are you saying that the Internet was created in 1986?
That is "certainly" NOT what history tells us and not 
what I taught my students...before 1986.

So what are you saying?

Mike

---

From: Mike Truskowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:15:07 -0800 (PST)

So what are you saying?

Mike