Subject: Re: Fwd: "La Loi de l'Internet" 19+20 Mars 1999

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:18:20 -0700 (MST)

> Wow, are they now giving out free acid with those free Yahoo mail accounts?

Probably not, but consider that a free email account is the
InfoSuperHypeWay equivalent of a "rescue mission" or a "homeless shelter."

I often discard U.S.Postal Service junk mail unopened.  I wouldn't get
get excited about a delivery failure for paper mail with a return address
of J.Smith, General Delivery, New York, New York.  I've also found that
rejecting email from the free provders has reduced my spam load by more
than 60% according to my logs.

It would make sense for the IETF to direct all email submitted from or
with a free ISP return address to a human to discard unread, or optionally,
given spare time, to read and forward useful nugets to the list.  People
who use free email services cannot expect their readers to value their
email more than they do.

Yes, I realize the free services are not really free, that their users
pay for their priviledges by enduring junk and advertising.  That also
does not imply anything good about email sent from the free providers.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Carl Malamud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:28:17 -0500 (EST)

> Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

While you're at it, perhaps you should institute a means test
before accepting email.  This kind of elitist nonsense may
make a lot of sense for rich standards professionals like
yourself, but it is about as far away from the IETF ethos as
possible.

Carl

---

From: Carl Malamud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:28:17 -0500 (EST)

Carl

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:20:05 -0800 (PST)

> who use free email services cannot expect their readers to value their

and they should not be allowed in the same restaurants or schools.  and
maybe we should round them up and ...

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:20:05 -0800 (PST)

randy

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:38:39 -0800

>yourself, but it is about as far away from the IETF ethos as

Might be an interesting exercise to debate whether the better test of that 
ethos is accepting occasional noise from the freebie naifs, versus 
nastygrams from experienced elitists.

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:38:39 -0800

d/

---

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:10:12 -0800 (PST)

> yourself, but it is about as far away from the IETF ethos as

Carl, you took the words right out of my mouth (off my fingertips? :-)

> 
> Carl
> 
> -
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
> Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.
>

---

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:10:12 -0800 (PST)

---

From: Brian Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:58:09 -0800

As I spend time deleting messages from people who probably should know
better I am reminded of a couple of platitudes I have learned over the ages:

1.  Just because you can post doesn't mean you should.

2.  Just because you can be "holier than thou" doesn't mean you should be.

Here is a novel idea: just drop it.

Brian Lloyd                                    Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]                                3461 Robin Lane, Suite 1
http://www.livingston.com                      Cameron Park, CA  95682
+1.530.676.6513 - voice                        +1.530.676.3442 - fax    O-

---

From: Brian Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:58:09 -0800

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:56:57 +0000 (GMT)

> 1.  Just because you can post doesn't mean you should.

and just because you can reply doesn't mean you should!

L.

whoops.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:56:57 +0000 (GMT)

L.

whoops.