Subject: Re: Al Gore 'created the internet'

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:59:56 -0500

Before this becomes a tempest in a teapot, it is fact that while
a senator, VP Gore was instrumental in legislation that followed
the NSFNET to create what was called the High Performance Computing
and Communication initiative (HPCC/NREN) which later led to the Next 
Generation Internet program. I don't know that the quote shown is accurate,
but it is fair to say that VP Gore has been a very strong proponent
of the development and use of Internet-based technologies for at
least 12 years, and continues to be a strong advocate to this day.

I'm grateful for his support and that of the administration in the
development and use of Internet.

Vint

At 04:16 PM 3/11/99 +0000, Lloyd Wood wrote:
>http://www.wired.com/news/print_version/politics/story/18390.html?wnpg=all
>
>"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
> initiative in creating the Internet." 
>   -- Al Gore.
>
>Boy, does the IETF and the US political process have problems here, or
>what?
>
>L.
>
><[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>
> 
=================================================================

See you at INET'99, San Jose, CA, June 22-25,1999 
http://www.isoc.org/inet99/

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:46:42 +0000 (BST)

> Generation Internet program. I don't know that the quote shown is accurate,

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/

documents the same soundbite on another occasion, suggesting he's said
it a large number of times, and that he will continue to do so on the
campaign trail. I think we're going to hear a lot of this.

> development and use of Internet.

Thanks; it's good to know that Al Gore's statement isn't completely
without unsupported foundation - although it could do with clearer
scope.

Would you mind also telling us who, during their service in the United
States Congress, took the initiative in creating the hot potatoe that
is DNS? Being able to apportion blame for sendmail and therefore spam
to another politician as well also strikes me as useful. And who gets
the web?

cheers,

L.

wondering if Triana mean that Gore also took the initiative in
creating remote sensing, being involved for legislation for funding as
he was.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:46:42 +0000 (BST)

cheers,

L.

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:41:26 -0500

>to another politician as well also strikes me as useful. And who gets
I don't think we can credit congress for dns - unless paul mockapetris
has potomac fever...

Vint

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:41:26 -0500

Vint

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:32:26 -0500

http://www.intellicast.com/weather/usa/radar/

Current system is tracking south, as I thought it would.  Chicago/Detroit
may get some snow tonight/tomorrow.

Another storm over Seatle.  Watch the jet streams to see how it will track.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:32:26 -0500