Subject: Re: Last Call: A Proposal for an MOU-Based ICANN Protocol Support Organization

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:18:11 -0700

At 10:33 AM 5/7/99 -0400, The IESG wrote:
>The IESG and IAB are requesting comments on A Proposal for an MOU-Based
>ICANN Protocol Support Organization <draft-ietf-poisson-mou-pso-00.txt> to

This is a copy of the notes I sent to the poised list, about this final 
version of text:

>At the recent IETF meeting, and since then, three fundamental issues were 
>pursued that had enough controversy and inherent difficulty as to pose 
>potential show-stoppers for acceptance:
>
>1) Lack of need for "policy" work by an ICANN organization with respect to 
>protocol parameter assignment,
>
>2) Danger and lack of precedence for having an ICANN organization pursue 
>conflict resolution among SDOs, and
>
>3) Difficulty in specifying reasonable and appropriate criteria for 
>membership in the PSO.
>
>As a skeptic about the potential for resolving these issues successfully 
>I'd like to comment that I think the PSO proposal confronts them directly 
>and handles them well.
>
>Nice job!

There is nothing ideal about the evolutionary process taking place with 
IANA.  Making progress requires an even higher degree of compromise than we 
are used to in the IETF, given the political forces that seek infinite delay.

Within this context, I believe the MOU proposal is an extremely pragmatic 
and constructive effort and should be approved.

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:18:11 -0700

d/