Subject: Re: FW: question??

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 10:07:37 -0600 (MDT)

> From: "Constantine Protopapas" <[email-masked]>

> ...
> Not all of them unfortunately. One of the things i work on now, is trying to
> upgrade customers' routers in order to address Y2K concerns. The attitude i
> get when i tell them about the need to upgrade is indifference at best and
> denial at worse..

What are your Y2K concerns that need routers to be upgraded?  What
significant technical Y2K problems are there in common routers?  Of those
problems, are there any that would require more than a single Saturday
application of the panaceas that we all regularly apply to our routers,
the ever popular software or hardware reset, the "accidental" stumble over
a power cord, or tripping the "wrong" breaker or UPS?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/cisco/mkt/gen/2000/prodlit/cptbl_ov.htm
appears to be the big yawn that anyone who knows what a router does and
who has heard anything about the common formats of timestamps on the
Internet would expect.  Yes, they list a few timekeeping bugs, but they
all seem to be minor, few if any are related the Y2K problem instead of
general leap year counting and so forth, and none that I saw look serious
compared to many other bugs we've all encountered in all vendors's routers.

>                  Oh well, only 6 months and 3 weeks left..

I agree, but perhaps for different reasons.  I can't wait for the hordes
of professional Chicken Littles to need to look for real work, or at least
a new fraud...but that's probably naive of me.  They'll just resume hawking
their old frauds.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]