Subject: Re: In IETF We Trust --- FW: internet engineering task force - internet society task force ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:00:18 -0400

Ace,
	This sounds like a good idea on the cover. This would be called a Social
Steering Committee by definition. The problem with a steering committee is
that is becomes a governing force which will develop its own ideas on where
the internet should be led, and often where others tell them to lead. This
often is not in the best interest of the masses.

	I believe that it is best to leave the IETF to administer "Best Current
Practices" and leave the social aspect of the internet to the individuals
who participate. I certainly don't want someone telling me the protocols I
should be using on a social level. Do you?

	I Imagine the OSI Stack would evolve into something like this, you know the
bottom seven already (keep in mind this is totally abstract):

Social Interaction Layer

(would contain information on whether the information contained within the
datagram is "politically or socially correct" or not, or possibly a "cookie"
that checks a "Socially Acceptable Domain Name Server" and makes sure that
the source user is a regulated and socially acceptable individual)

Application Layer

Presentation Layer

Session Layer

Transport Layer

Network Layer

Data Link Layer

Physical Layer

	Analogously this is the same as having a dictionary that not only tells us
how to communicate, but what we should communicate (often without the answer
to "Why?"). Remember, a formal language is a structure through which we can
communicate, but communication relies on our ability to say what we feel we
need to say within the conforms of the language. If the language starts
squashing ideas, there is a great loss of communication, because we aren't
able to talk about what we feel is important.

	Remember that we are all individuals. We do not always agree on what is
appropriate, but more importantly we also seem to disagree on what is
important. Communication requires freedom, **BUT** Remember that to practice
your own freedom means that you are often and usually taking it away from
another.

	Basically I am saying I disagree with your suggestion. It is a good idea on
the cover as I said. I hope you don't think I slammed you either, that is
not my intent. I am only trying to communicate "why" I think it is a bad
idea.

	People learn for themselves much quicker if you let them make their own
mistakes. Discipline is self taught. It cannot be taught by another,
otherwise it will only be a mere shadow of discipline and more likely end up
becoming anger that is misdirected.

Best Wishes,
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Applications Engineer
-Wave Wireless Networking
-Dev. of SPEEDCOM International
-Phone: 941-358-9283 ext. 327
-Fax: 941-359-0219
-E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:00:18 -0400

Ace,

Social Interaction Layer

Application Layer

Presentation Layer

Session Layer

Transport Layer

Network Layer

Data Link Layer

Physical Layer

Best Wishes,
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Applications Engineer