Subject: "threaded archives" ?

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:20:10 -0500

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg05039.html

"and all IETF mailing lists have threaded web archives, right?
If not, why not?"

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I am surprised that all working groups do not have at a
minimum a live "chat room"....one would expect the leading
edge IETF to also have voice-over-IP conferencing to
allow the working group to hear each other and work...

IPv8 and IPv16 designers use 3D worlds where people can
see each other...and hand each other documents that are
then posted on the shared visual space called "the web"...

...it is quite a few steps beyond ASCII...

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com
UNIR@http://www.activeworlds.com

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:47:04 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Jim Fleming wrote:

> minimum a live "chat room"...

that's because you don't work with people on different continents with
vastly different schedules on a regular basis, and you haven't given
thought to archival, longevity, clarity of expression, decreasing
repetition, being on the record, and convenient access to everyone.

A searchable threaded mailing list web archive supplements and
enhances the mailing list as the prime forum of interaction,
encourages newcomers to get up to speed with discussion because
background reading is readily available, allows claims of repetition
of old debunked ideas to be examined and substantiated or debunked
easily, and encourages cross-pollination between WGs; it's easy to
drop in on a webarchive every so often to see what's happening in WGs
that aren't your primary focus.

In short, threaded searchable mailing list web archives are _good_.
Pity there's so few of them, and that archives aren't linked to
directly from the IETF WG pages.

Your suggestions attempt to replace the mailing list with poor yet
fashionable alternatives which increase, rather than decrease, the
burden of attention and time needed to follow WG activities.

L.

understands many Windows games designers use ICQ. That explains a lot.

> .one would expect the leading

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:47:04 +0100 (BST)

L.