Subject: JNSM special issue on Web-based Management

From: JNSM Call for Papers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:46:14 -0400

CALL FOR PAPERS
                JOURNAL OF NETWORK AND SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT
                      http://www.cstp.umkc.edu/jnsm/
                  Special Issue on Web-Based Management

The use of Web technologies in network, systems, application and service
management-also known as Web-based management-has attracted a lot of
attention in the recent years. In the IP world, all major network
management platform vendors are migrating toward Web-based graphical user
interfaces. Current suggestions include to redesign entirely the managers
and agents using Java, take advantage of distributed object-oriented
technologies such as CORBA and Java RMI, base the manager-to-agent
communication on HTTP, or use XML to format and structure management data.
Even in the OSI world, especially for telecommunication switches, more and
more vendors are turning to solutions integrating CORBA and Java. What are
the opportunities of Web technologies in these two worlds? What are the
principles behind the design of Web-based management systems? How can we
make such systems reliable and scalable? What are their limitations? What
are the advantages and disadvantages of using HTTP, applets, servlets,
RMI, JDBC, etc. in management applications? Topics of interest for this
special issue include, but are not limited to, the following:

o Web technologies in network, systems, service and application management
o Information models in support of Web-based management (semantics)
o Distributed computing for Web-based management applications
o Web technologies as facilitators of integrated management
o New designs for Web-based managers and agents
o Web-based communication between managers and agents
o How to format, encode and represent management data in transit
  (agent/manager, manager/manager)
o Techniques to efficiently save and retrieve management data to/from
  persistent storage (e.g. how to store time series?)
o Scalability, efficiency and reliability of Web-based management
o Performance analysis of Web-based management
o Case studies of Web-based management systems
o Experiences with commercial Web-based management platforms

Instructions to Contributors:

We invite prospective authors to submit high quality papers via email to
one of the guest editors, depending on their geographic zone. Only
electronic submissions are acceptable. Please prepare the manuscripts
according to the Instructions to Contributors which can be found in any
copy of the Journal, or by visiting the JNSM Web site.

Guest Editors:

    Nikos Anerousis                  Jean-Philippe Martin-Flatin
    (Contact for US submissions)     (Contact for non-US submissions)
    AT&T Labs Research               Swiss Fed. Inst. of Technology,
    Room A165                        Lausanne (EPFL)
    180 Park Avenue, Bldg. 103       DI-ICA
    Florham Park, NJ 07932-0971      1015 Lausanne
    USA                              Switzerland
    Email: [email-masked]    Email: [email-masked]

Schedule:

Manuscript due:             April 30, 2000
Notification of Acceptance: July 31, 2000
Final Manuscript due:       Sep. 30, 2000
Publication Date:           1st Quarter 2001