Subject: ICANN Just Wants to Press the Buttons...

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 02:10:13 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>

>  It seems to me that DOC/NTIA along with the Commerce committee
>should investigate this further before this becomes another of those
>embarrassing issues that needs a separate hearing in and of itself..

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Unfortunately....Internet technology is a lot like nuclear technology.

Some people can design and build bombs with it (like IPv6) and
others can build nuclear reactors (like IPv8 and IPv16). I get the
impression that ICANN does not care whether a bomb is being
built or a reactor, they just want to be in charge of pushing the
button.

ICANN seems to be chasing anyone that offers them a big red
button to push. Note the recent pilgrimage to Norway to the IETF
meeting, where ICANN apparently helped to launch IPv6. They
apparently did not even take the time to understand the Privacy
Issues attached to the roll-out. They just pushed the button when
asked...

Meanwhile...we have people trying to help inform the U.S. Department
of Commerce about the Privacy Issues. They are trying to appeal to
the same clueless people that helped to assemble the clueless ICANN.

http://www.cdt.org/privacy/letter2clinton.shtml

The ICANN does not understand the issues well enough to step
forward and admit that they are over their heads. Imagine them in
a nuclear power plant pulling all of the levers and trying to figure out
why scientists are waving their arms. That coupled with the U.S.
Department of Commerce claiming ICANN is in charge to provide
stability makes one run for the hills...

Jim Fleming