Subject: Re: ADV : money

From: "Jo�l-Ren� Cuvellier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:59:33 +0200

I guees our webmaster read the posts on the list so he can block message
from those addresses.

I guess he can also block those stupid "unsubscribe" messages.

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:18:36 +0200

>I guess he can also block those stupid "unsubscribe" messages.

It would help, though, if people were able to spell "unsubscribe" correctly
There has been no less than 4 messages asking to "unsuscribe", whatever 
that means.

                   Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:18:36 +0200

Harald

---

From: "Sean C. McCarthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:01:27 +0100

Hi all,

> I guess he can also block those stupid "unsubscribe" messages.

I've been subscribed to other lists where the mailing system (I guess)
automatically adds a small note at the end with information about
unsubscribing from the list. It would be helpful for everyone if the
administrator could add that kind of message to the end of the mails, so
people send their messages to the correct list (with a script or
something like it?)

	Thank you.
	Sean C. McCarthy

---

From: "Sean C. McCarthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:01:27 +0100

Hi all,

	Thank you.
	Sean C. McCarthy

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:10:22 +0200

"Sean C. McCarthy" wrote:

> unsubscribing from the list.

I tend to find those distracting.  Besides, they're redundant: this mailing
list (like most) sends unsub instructions when you subscribe; it's mildly
implausible that large numbers of people just delete them out of hand.  What
may be happening is that people are subscribed to remailers and don't
realize it (say, if their admin added them to the local list by hand); in
such a case, giving them instructions on each message won't help.

--
/=============================================================\
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |
[email-masked]|============================================|
|Chief Scientist | NT's lack of reliability is only surpassed |
|eCal Corp.      |  by its lack of scalability. -- John Kirch |
\=============================================================/

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:10:22 +0200

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:45:55 -0400

> implausible that large numbers of people just delete them out of hand.  What

Not at all implausible. I receive an *incredible* amount of mail of
the form "I can't find my instructions on how to do XYZ".

What's even more astounding is the percentage of said mail that comes
from people purporting to be full professors, university vice
presidents, and CEOs of companies, and therefor literate enough to
read the 'Please save these instructions for future reference' that
they were sent....

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:45:55 -0400

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:29:27 -0400

> read the 'Please save these instructions for future reference' that

why is this astounding?  surely such people are more susceptible to 
information overload than the general 'net population. not only are they
more likely to need to unsubscribe within a given timeframe, 
they also more likely to lose the directions for how to do so.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:29:27 -0400