Subject: CFP: TWIST'99 Workshop on Internet-scale namespaces

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:27:29 -0700

=================================================================
      Call for Participation      TWIST'99
=================================================================

  The Workshop on Internet-scale Software Technologies -- 1999

           *** Internet-Scale Namespaces ***

      August 19-20, 1999    Irvine, California, USA

=================================================================
      http://www.ics.uci.edu/twist99/
=================================================================

Internet-scale namespace management has emerged as a crucial issue
in scaling software and network technologies to the numbers of
people, devices, and agents online. Every namespace, from MIME
type to stock symbol to domain name, represents a bundle of
political, economic, social, and technical decisions.  Many
namespaces are bumping into new limits to growth: human-friendly
names for Web resources, the domain name service, public key
infrastructures (PKI), and ad-hoc federation of embedded computers
a la Jini, to name four. These are not merely limits of sheer
massiveness: the latest generation of commercial directory servers
claim to vend hundreds of millions of names with ease, as do
planetary-scale Web search engines.

We invite you and your colleagues to join us for The Workshop on
Internet-scale Software Technologies (TWIST'99), which this year
focuses on Internet-Scale Namespaces. This engaging two-day
workshop is being convened with the following goals in mind:

  * Survey the diversity of namespaces already in use at
    Internet scale.
  * Identify the uniquely Internet-Scale issues of namespace
    management, beyond sheer size scaling to include political,
    economic, and technological limits.
  * Discuss namespace management in the context of application domains,
    with a particular emphasis on electronic commerce.
  * Debate potential approaches for building self-organizing solutions
    for domain naming, hierarchical public key infrastructure,
    resource discovery, and device federation.

New challenges specific to Internet scale include:

  * Control: who defines and manages the namespace.
  * Mobility: how rapidly a name to address binding can change.
  * Locality: the same name having different meaning for different
    speakers depending on geographic, or other context.
  * Interoperability: standard resolution protocols, and their mechanisms
    for generating network effects.

Confirmed speakers at the workshop are:

  * Mark Day -- Namespaces for Internet-scale Event Notification
    Lotus Development
  * Carl Ellison -- Namespaces in the Simple Public Key Infrastructure
(SPKI)
    Security Architect, Intel Labs (Portland)
  * Roy Fielding -- Uniform Resource Identifiers
    University of California, Irvine
  * Michael Gorlick -- Location Awareness
    The Aerospace Corporation
  * Carl Hewitt -- Like Politics, All Naming is Local
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  * Rohit Khare -- Brief Survey of Internet-scale Namespaces
    University of California, Irvine
  * Larry Masinter -- A Common Name Resolution Protocol for the Web
    Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
  * Clifford Neuman -- Event Namespaces within Prospero
    Information Sciences Institute (USC/ISI)

TWIST'99 is being held on the campus of the University of California,
Irvine. For the advance program, lodging information, and instructions
on how to register, please consult the TWIST'99 web page, at
<http://www.ics.uci.edu/twist99/>.

=================================================================
TWIST'99 is sponsored by the Irvine Research Unit in Software,
http://www.ics.uci.edu/IRUS/
=================================================================