Subject: Correspondence Between IETF and ICANN

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:22:15 -0500

ICANN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Correspondence Between IETF and ICANN
on Assignment of Protocol Parameters Developed or Maintained by the IETF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Email from Scott Bradner, Brian Carpenter, and Fred Baker to Esther Dyson
(February 22, 1999)
Response of Esther Dyson (February 22, 1999)

>From [email-masked] Thu Feb 25 12:39:32 1999
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ICANN and the IETF
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Dear Esther,

We noticed the following notice in the Commerce Business Daily. Would you
please clarify ICANN's understanding of these relationships? What is the
relationship between the IETF and ICANN in general? What is the relationship
between the IETF and the specific functions which the IANA has been
providing in conjunction with the assignment of protocol parameters for IETF
developed or maintained protocols?

"Functions Performed: The contractor will perform the following IANA
functions:

"1) Coordination of the assignment of technical protocol parameters. This
currently involves the review and assignment of unique values to numerous
parameters (e.g., operation codes, port numbers, object identifiers,
protocol numbers) used in various Internet protocols. This function also
currently includes the dissemination of the listings of assigned parameters
through various means (including on-line publication) and the review of
technical documents for consistency with assigned values."

Thank you,

Scott Bradner (ISOC VP for Standards)
Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)
Fred Baker (IETF Chair)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

>From [email-masked] Thu Feb 25 16:16:44 1999
To: Scott Bradner
From: [email-masked] (Esther Dyson)
Subject: Re: ICANN and the IETF
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Dear Scott, Brian and Fred,

Thank you for your letter inquiring as to ICANN's understanding of the
relationships between the IETF, ICANN and the IANA's protocol parameter
support activities.

We are navigating uncharted waters and are proceeding carefully to try to do
the right thing for the Internet community while following the principles
and policies set out in the government's White Paper. One of the several
responsibilities that the White Paper charges ICANN to carry out is "to
coordinate the assignment of other Internet technical parameters as needed
to maintain universal connectivity on the Internet." We do not understand
this to mean the actual assignment of protocol parameters (which we would do
only if some standards organization requests us to do so), but rather the
development of policies and procedures to be used by organizations
developing standards for the Internet to resolve disputes that may arise
over specific protocol assignments. In particular we would expect that these
policies and procedures will be designed to be used where a dispute is one
in which the activity of one standards organization blocks the deployment of
a technology from a second standards organization. It seems to us that, in
the ordinary course of things, the initial development of such policies and
procedures would logically fall within the scope of a Protocol Supporting
Organization, which would then forward recommendations to the ICANN Board
for its review.

During the Postel era and currently, protocol parameter assignments have
been routinely performed by IANA staff in coordination with the IETF. As you
know, many of the people who were the IANA staff are now working for ICANN,
and the IANA functions are in the process of being formally transferred to
ICANN by the United States Government. We assume that the IETF will continue
to have the discretion to decide where it would like this particular
function performed in the future, and the IANA/ICANN staff are prepared to
continue to perform these services if the IETF so requests. I hope this
clarifies our view as to the respective roles of ICANN, IANA and the IETF in
this area. We look forward to continuing to work with you to ensure the
operational stability of the Internet.

Yours,

Esther Dyson
Interim Chairman, ICANN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----