Subject: re: IETF meeting scaling: early schedules?

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:40:03 EDT

A different hybrid suggestion from Dave's is practiced
by a number of working groups - holding full-day
or longer interim meetings in addition to the normal meetings
during IETF that get the benefit of the IETF "melting pot."

---

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:53:18 -0400

> during IETF that get the benefit of the IETF "melting pot."

This is a workable idea, though it'd be more workable if we made use of
the technology we've wrought and made such meetings available for those
who might have trouble traveling to the interim meetings. While this
adds logistic issues, it helps maintain the open nature of our process.

Dan

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Senie                                        [email-masked]
Amaranth Networks Inc.            http://www.amaranthnetworks.com

---

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:53:18 -0400

Dan

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:20:18 -0400

> during IETF that get the benefit of the IETF "melting pot."

Occasional interim meetings can indeed be quite useful and they are 
fine as long as most of the work gets done on the mailing list.  
But I've seen far too many groups that try to do most of their 
work in interim meetings, and for which the IETF meetings are 
seen only as a nuisance or a place to announce/present/summarize 
work done elsewhere.  This is an abuse of the IETF process.  
The output of such groups tends to be very suspect - not only because 
of its lack of quality but also because there is no good way to know 
whether it really represents community consensus.

Also, most groups holding interim meetings tend to forget that
such meetings have the same requirements as for meetings held
at IETF conferences: the requirement to get advance approval from
the appropriate AD, the requirement for public announcement
(not just on the WG mailing list), and the requirement for timely
reporting of minutes.

Keith

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:20:18 -0400

Keith