Subject: Fw: draft-zigmond-tv-url-02

From: "Dustin Blanchard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:06:20 -0500

why not use the standard country codes already in use for domains? (i.e:
tv:abc.us or tv:abc.au)

The tv companies may not like that, but they should live with it. that way
it makes everybody kindof happy

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:54:39 -0400

--On Wednesday, August 18, 1999, 21:06 -0500 Dustin Blanchard
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>  why not use the standard country codes already in use for
>  domains? (i.e: tv:abc.us or tv:abc.au)

(i) Because some of the entities that may be considered
"networks" have more than national scope?  I.e., the footprint
of a satellite broadcast has a tendency to not respect national
boundaries.

(ii) Because I imagine that some _uses_ of "networks" may have
rather local scope?  I.e., tv:abc might be construed by a cable
operator as "the local ABC affiliate in this particular
community"

Country codes are really useful if one is setting up
country-based registries.  Otherwise,...

     john

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:54:39 -0400

john

---

From: [email-masked] (Claus Färber)
Date: 19 Aug 1999 14:25:00 +0200

> of a satellite broadcast has a tendency to not respect national

So what? Every network should have some sort of "headquarter", which  
rarely spans several countries.

> rather local scope?

Then use more local identifiers.

> I.e., tv:abc might be construed by a cable

You can use the network identifier for this. If you want to specify a  
certain local affiliate, use its local identifier. If you want to  
specify the network, no matter through which affiliate the recipient  
actually gets the programme, use the network id.

-- 
Claus Andre Faerber <http://www.faerber.muc.de>
PGP: ID=1024/527CADCD FP=12 20 49 F3 E1 04 9E 9E  25 56 69 A5 C6 A0 C9 DC

---

From: [email-masked] (Claus Färber)
Date: 19 Aug 1999 14:25:00 +0200

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:52:10 -0400

--On Thursday, August 19, 1999, 14:25 +0200 Claus Färber
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> of a satellite broadcast has a tendency to not respect
>> national boundaries.
> 
> So what? Every network should have some sort of "headquarter",
> which   rarely spans several countries.

And that headquerters may generate different feeds for different
regions, which may not be country-scope.

One can _always_ generate a scheme; I was responding only to the
implication that use of country codes would, itself, be an
adequate scheme definjition.

    john

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:52:10 -0400

john