Subject: Re: Working documents repository

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:51:33 -0400 (EDT)

> in that case, an RFC must be an internet-draft with a different label.

no, in that case there are two or more dociuments - N versions of the ID and 
then a seperate document that is the RFC

there is *one* document in the case of STD and RFC - "STD" is a
status put upon a RFC 

for example, from the RFC index

0768 User Datagram Protocol. J. Postel. Aug-28-1980. (Format: TXT=5896
     bytes) (Also STD0006) (Status: STANDARD) 

Scott

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:13:56 +0100 (BST)

> there is *one* document in the case of STD and RFC - "STD" is a

and 'RFC' is a status put upon an internet-draft.

L.

> -
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
> Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.
> 

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:13:56 +0100 (BST)

L.

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:27:18 -0700

>and 'RFC' is a status put upon an internet-draft.

Lloyd,

You are confusing publication mechanism with status.  I-D and RFC are two 
different publication mechanisms.  The IETF Secretariat issues I-Ds.  IANA 
publishes RFCs.  They are related, but still separate.

In fact it is really quite recent that an an RFC was required to first be 
an I-D.  Previosly only standards-track (status) RFCs were required to 
first be I-Ds.

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:27:18 -0700

Lloyd,

d/