Subject: RE: draft-zigmond-tv-url-02

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:48:55 -0500

I couldn't agree more about accessible mailing-list archives. But just as a
point of reference - I recently sent the following e-mail to
[email-masked] about my apparent inability to actually use the I-D seach
mechanism to search for anything; search mechanisms that don't work well
aren't all that helpful, because people keep saying "but I DID look for
'zigmond'!"

Just a data point...

Spencer

 <<Confusion using the I-D search by keywords facility>> 

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Lloyd Wood [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Wednesday, August 18, 1999 7:21 AM
> To:	Michael A. Dolan
> Cc:	[email-masked]; Matt Crawford; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: draft-zigmond-tv-url-02
> 
> amazing how you can turn anything into a demonstration of the need for
> accessible mailing-list archives to bring people up to speed, isn't
> it?
> 
> <[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
> Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.

Subject: Confusion using the I-D search by keywords facility
From: "Dawkins, Spencer [RICH1:2011-I:EXCH]" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:09:27 -0500

I'm pretty confused about the I-D search by keywords facility at

http://search.ietf.org/search/brokers/internet-drafts/query.html

If I didn't know better, I would search on, say, "Nortel", as the keyword.
This actually seems to get I-Ds with "Nortel" in the text
(http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-slutsman-aicd-00.txt, where
the string "Nortel" appears once), so I'm pretty excited, but it only gets
three I-Ds. I can't tell you what the right answer is (that's actually what
I was trying to figure out with my query!), but I can tell you that it
leaves out
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-montenegro-pilc-ltn-02.txt,
which I co-authored.

I found this I-D by searching on my last name ("Dawkins"). The search on
"Dawkins" found two I-Ds, but it did NOT find at least two other I-Ds I
co-authored (example -
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-slow-00.txt) - which
should ALSO have showed up under the "Nortel" search.

So - what am I doing wrong?

(signed) curious