Subject: Re: draft-zigmond-tv-url-02

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:28:22 -0400

Hi John,

Not speaking for Vernon, of course, however...

 >> Henceforth, the IESG should publish no
 >> Internet Drafts except those that are products of IETF working groups or
 >> the IAB, and implement that exit from the usenet-like publishing world by
 >> requiring a go-ahead from a working group chair, area director, IESG
 >> member, IAB member before publishing any draft.
 >
 >OK, I'll ask the obvious question (that I'm sure you've thought about):
 >wouldn't that make it harder to get minority opinions considered?

In some respects, yes...and that is a deliberate intention *if* the
minority opinion is deemed not relevant to the work of the IETF as
determined by a WG chair, AD, IESG member, or IAB member...and that's
an obvious appeal chain there for would-be submitters who feel their
proposed contribution has been judged unfairly...in the larger sense,
however, we rely on those people to make honest and fair judgments
re technical merit and relevance...and we have procedures in place
to correct for any serious deficiencies in that respect (without
making any claim that the processes are perfect, of course...we
all gotta live in the real world).

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------