Subject: re: Conference postings?

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:09:34 -0700

>This, too me, a potent reason why conference announcements should not be
>accepted to the IETF list.  1/3 Megabyte is not so much spam as the whole
>darned pig.
>
>I have never yet seen a conference announcement on this list that I wanted
>to see.

Having posted to the IETF list for over ten years regarding ACM SIGCOMM
events, I've got some experience.

Many members of the IETF list have thanked me for the postings (so some
folks value them).

However, I've also been firmly asked to keep my postings short -- and,
in particular, provide pointers to URLs rather than send long ASCII
bombs.  I've also been told to customize to IETF (i.e, say why, in
my note, an IETFer would find the conference of interested).

Conference announcements of this form have gotten no complaints (and I've
been using this form for three years or so).

Craig
[wearing two hats: Chair, ACM SIGCOMM, former IESG member]

---

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:09:34 -0700

Craig