Subject: DNS server questions

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:06:25 +0800

Hello:

(I am just a sociologist) Apology if these following are too
trivial. I have checked several RFCs, the FAQ of
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains, and Acme Byte & Wire without luck.

There is a directive called "$ORIGIN" which is very handy for
writing "transportable" domains. E.g. if an organization
switches from "foo.com" to "bar.com", the domain administrator
could do that "on the fly" by just changing that "$ORIGIN" 
directive (plus some additional SOPs -- Simple Operating 
Prescriptions).
 
However, I could not find an equal directive for switching IP 
addresses. It would be nice if there exists a directive 
like "$PREFIX 192.168.0/24" so that an RR could be written as
"IN A :1" or other ways. Not mention that switching IPv6 addresses 
would be even more horrible.

Questions:
=========
1. Has this issue been raised before? If yes, where? Archive?
2. What is the most appropriate WG (if exists) to discuss issues
   in regard of technical problems of organizations in developing 
   countries (bullied by large backbone providers)? dnsind?
   dnsop? pier? too-trivial?

regards,

-- 
- Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim VLSM-TJT --  http://www.vlsm.org/rms46/ -
- Non425paying step-member of the In-Equal opportunity Task Force -