Subject: Re: Wireless @ D.C. IETF (fwd)

From: Jardar Leira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:11:01 +0200

As far as I know, this is the current status of Linux drivers for the WLAN
cards we used at the 45th IETF in Oslo:

During the meeting, BreezeCom agreed to release the source for the Linux
driver (written by Ericsson) for their BreezeCom PCR card. Those who kept
an eye on our IETF WLAN web pages was able to download it from there.
Unfortunately, the driver was full of serious bugs but was useable. I have
not seen an update yet.

The Linux driver for the Symbol Spectrum/24 card was available as a binary
only. This was because it was in it's alpha development stage. It is now
available as source (but still in alpha) and works very well apart from
some minor APM problems.

I have not yet seen these drivers distributed, but I think the Symbol
driver is soon to be found in the pcmcia-cs package, if not so already.

I have both as source and have made them available on the following locations:
BreezeCom: http://www.uninett.no/ietf45/wlan/drivers/breezecom/brzdrv.tar.gz
Symbol: http://www.uninett.no/ietf45/wlan/drivers/symbol/spectrum24_cs.tar.gz 

Both cards support the FHSS IEEE 802.11 at 1 & 2 Mbps (BreezeCom also has
3Mbps) on 2.4GHz.

Jardar Leira
UNINETT AS

>    [ From: <[email-masked]> 12:21:52 (+0200) 12-10-1999 ]
>    [ Subject: Re: Wireless @ D.C. IETF ]
>
>    IEEE 802.11 FHSS was also used at  the Oslo meeting.  The PCMCIA
>    cards available  there  (BreezeCOM) had  nicely working  drivers
>    available at least for Linux.  I guess those cards could be used
>    in DC as well?
>    
>    Anyway,  hopefully   the good  people   who wrote  the BreezeCOM
>    drivers for Oslo can be convinced to do the  same for the Nortel
>    Networks cards!
>
>AFAIK,  the drivers (on linux)  for the Breezecom cards were written
>by a guy  from Ericsson and, last I  knew, the source  code for that
>was not available.  Thus the module had to '-f'  inserted if you did
>not have the right kernel version.
>
>-amlan

---

From: Jardar Leira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:11:01 +0200

Jardar Leira
UNINETT AS