Subject: Wireless @ D.C. IETF

From: Doug Moeller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:40:35 -0400

Hello all,

  As you may or may not know Nortel Networks is hosting the upcoming IETF in
  D.C.  As part of that we are doing the terminal room and all the wireless
  Access for the conference.  We'll be using the BayStack 650 Wireless
  devices (IEEE 802.11 FH),  but unfortunately we only have drivers for MS 
Windows(95,98,NT,
  2K) machines.  So,  in an effort to make up for our lameness and to provide
  support for other platform's I'd like to make an offer.

I'll give you a free Wireless Access Point(10BaseT to wireless ethernet bridge)
and a PCMCIA Wireless NIC if you can provide a functioning driver by 8:00am 
on Sunday Nov. 6th for one of the following platforms

MacOS (PowerPC, Open Transport 1.0 or higher)
Linux (Red Hat 6.0)
FreeBSD (3.X)

  We use pretty standard components in our NIC's and driver's for other
  vendor's NIC's that use the same components have been developed
  independently, so it shouldn't be too impossible of a task.

  I have a limited number of AP's and NIC's that I can ship out now for
  development work.  Since we have a limited number and I may not be able to
  send one to everyone who replies,  please send me a short blurb on why you
  think you might be successful.  I plan to send out the boxes no later 
then this
  Friday Oct 15th, so please get back to me before then.

You must be attending the meeting to take advantage of this. (So, we can 
hassle you for support if necessary)

The AP that I send you for development must be brought to IETF so that we 
may use it there.  If you are successful in developing a driver you'll get 
it back after the conference.

The driver developed must be freely available to anyone who wants 
it.  Nortel does not intend to own the driver but may incorporate it in 
future products or make it available to users.

Please respond to me directly.  Thanks.

                                                          -Doug

P.S.  We'll also be selling the NIC's for $99.00 to attendees.  This is 
special deal for IETF only and is way below our cost  You can sign up for 
one at http://standards.nortelnetworks.com/ietf46/default.html .

---

From: Brian Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:15:46 -0700

>  support for other platform's I'd like to make an offer.

How about some IEEE 802.11 DSS stuff?  I own an IEEE 802.11 DSS card.  I
don't own any FH cards.  Maybe I am in the minority and should shut up.  On
the other hand, there may be others in my boat and would like to have
support for the direct sequence cards too (or instead).

Brian Lloyd                                    Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]                                3461 Robin Lane, Suite 1
http://www.livingston.com                      Cameron Park, CA  95682
+1.530.676.6513 - voice                        +1.530.676.3442 - fax

---

From: Brian Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:15:46 -0700

---

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:46:08 -0500 (CDT)

> +1.530.676.6513 - voice                        +1.530.676.3442 - fax

OK, how many 802.11 DS Access Points will it take?  

We'll be happy to furnish these, (as long as I get them back, 
and you don't need more than... oh, lets say... 20 of them.)

Jim

---

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:46:08 -0500 (CDT)

Jim

---

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Oct 1999 12:21:52 +0200

IEEE 802.11 FHSS was also used at the Oslo meeting.  The PCMCIA cards
available there (BreezeCOM) had nicely working drivers available at
least for Linux.  I guess those cards could be used in DC as well?

Anyway, hopefully the good people who wrote the BreezeCOM drivers for
Oslo can be brib^H^H^H^Hconvinced to do the same for the Nortel
Networks cards!
-- 
Simon.

---

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Oct 1999 12:21:52 +0200

---

From: Amlan Saha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 20:05:51 +0730 (SST)

[ From: <[email-masked]> 12:21:52 (+0200) 12-10-1999 ]
    [ Subject: Re: Wireless @ D.C. IETF ]

    IEEE 802.11 FHSS was also used at  the Oslo meeting.  The PCMCIA
    cards available  there  (BreezeCOM) had  nicely working  drivers
    available at least for Linux.  I guess those cards could be used
    in DC as well?
    
    Anyway,  hopefully   the good  people   who wrote  the BreezeCOM
    drivers for Oslo can be convinced to do the  same for the Nortel
    Networks cards!

AFAIK,  the drivers (on linux)  for the Breezecom cards were written
by a guy  from Ericsson and, last I  knew, the source  code for that
was not available.  Thus the module had to '-f'  inserted if you did
not have the right kernel version.

-amlan

---

From: Amlan Saha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 20:05:51 +0730 (SST)

-amlan

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:25:32 -0400

Amlan Saha wrote:

> was not available.

The source was available--at first it was only for the admin running
the wireless LAN (he copied it onto my system and compiled it there,
then deleted the source); but then they changed their minds and
released it.  I think I've still got a copy if anybody's interested,
but I imagine it's been improved since July (given the number of kernel
hackers who were grumbling over it that week :-).

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"God does not play games with His loyal      |
[email-masked]|servants." "Whoo-ee, where have you *been*?" |
|                |--_Good Omens_                               |
\==============================================================/

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:25:32 -0400

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:02:34 +0200

>not have the right kernel version.
That was the policy in force on Monday morning.

AFAIK, by Wednesday, Breezecom had released source.

                         Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:02:34 +0200

Harald

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:37:16 -0700

> hackers who were grumbling over it that week :-).

the point is that

  o many folk have kit that works now with what we have been using for
    some years

  o most folk who come to ietf have a very full dance card already, and
    have come to work, not to play with drivers

  o new stuff is nice, but old must also be supported

we have work to do, and the ietf net should be just a working appliance not
a technology experiment.

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:37:16 -0700

the point is that

randy