Subject: Reengineering the IETF Information System

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:24:31 +0800

Hello:

I would like to suggest that the coming RFC-2600 will be the last
STD-1 in RFC form. The RFC publication system -- invented by
graduated students, developed with the 1970s technology -- should
sooner or later be fading away. Therefore, it would be better
to maintain a up to the minute standard list.

Having said, it is still not clear about who is in charge of 
monitoring the maturity of the Internet Standard Process after
the 1992 new world order. It is not the IAB anymore, however is it
the IESG or the Area Director(s) or is it the RFC Editor(s) ?

Second, STD-2 has already unofficially evolved. So why not 
obsoleting RFC-1700 and replace it to 
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html ?

Third, yet another "living document" is FYI-17 "The Tao" which is 
currently still RFC-1718, but http://www.ietf.org/tao.html is more
up to date.

tabe,

-- 
- Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim VLSM-TJT --  http://www.vlsm.org/rms46/ -
- My PC is worm. I think our firewall is acting up - Dilbert's Boss