Subject: Re: Wireless @ D.C. IETF

From: "Doug Moeller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:25:50 -0400

We have no plans right now to support DS.  We chose to provide FH instead of
DS because we are able to scale an FH network better.  Though DS has a
higher throughput then FH,  it doesn't scale so well when we have a large
number of users in a small geographic area.  With FH we can deploy multiple
Access Points in a relatively small area and load balance across them.    We
are binging 500 NIC's for sale/loan so scalability is a chief concern.
Since FH and DS use the same spectrum, deploying both could prove to be
ugly.  I think there is a plan to support the older proprietary Wavelan
stuff. (It uses a different spectrum)

                        -Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Lloyd <[email-masked]>
To: Doug Moeller <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, October 11, 1999 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: Wireless @ D.C. IETF

>At 04:40 PM 10/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hello all,
>>
>>  As you may or may not know Nortel Networks is hosting the upcoming IETF
in
>>  D.C.  As part of that we are doing the terminal room and all the
wireless
>>  Access for the conference.  We'll be using the BayStack 650 Wireless
>>  devices (IEEE 802.11 FH),  but unfortunately we only have drivers for MS
>>Windows(95,98,NT,
>>  2K) machines.  So,  in an effort to make up for our lameness and to
provide
>>  support for other platform's I'd like to make an offer.
>
>How about some IEEE 802.11 DSS stuff?  I own an IEEE 802.11 DSS card.  I
>don't own any FH cards.  Maybe I am in the minority and should shut up.  On
>the other hand, there may be others in my boat and would like to have
>support for the direct sequence cards too (or instead).
>
>
>Brian Lloyd                                    Lucent Technologies
>[email-masked]                                3461 Robin Lane, Suite 1
>http://www.livingston.com                      Cameron Park, CA  95682
>+1.530.676.6513 - voice                        +1.530.676.3442 - fax
>
>
>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:48:36 -0700

> DS because we are able to scale an FH network better.

not a big need if there are no drivers for it.

> We are binging 500 NIC's for sale/loan so scalability is a chief concern.

it's been a week since you went through this at nanog, where we had to go
out and get normal nanog/ietf kit so people could use it.  the ietf is a
much pickier audience.  could we please have the normal kit?

if it don't work, you can't pay people to take it.

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:48:36 -0700

randy

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:54:29 -0500

On 10/11/99 at 8:25 PM -0400, Doug Moeller wrote:

>We have no plans right now to support DS.

Of course, Apple's new machines are shipping with DS built in and a 
PC card is already available (with drivers) for older Macintosh 
laptops. Though it may be too late for D.C., might I suggest that in 
the future the terminal room folks start shooting for DS, given the 
still suprisingly large percentage of IETFers who show up with 
Macintosh laptops. Obviously drivers are available on Windows for 
either FH or DS, and having something that is supported on MacOS will 
mean that a bunch more people can get in on it.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated
Ph: (217)337-6377 or (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:54:29 -0500

pr

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:23:46 -0400

Doug and John,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reconsider and have DS available.  It's what the rest 
of the world is using (especially at other similar meetings).  And while I 
use NT, support for other OSes is much better on DS than FS (as you've 
found).  I originally saw DS on the web page and had been very happy .... 
otherwise I guess I'm going to have to borrow an FS card rather than use my 
own DS card (I just reserved one on the web page).

Thanks,
Andy

------

>stuff. (It uses a different spectrum)

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414  fax:978 392-2074
Lucent Technologies                 1 Robbins Road    Westford, MA 01886

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:23:46 -0400

Doug and John,

Thanks,
Andy

------

---

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:50:24 -0500 (CDT)

> ugly. 

'taint necessarily so.  I have actual operational data here, and as
long as you don't get the APs too close together, there isn't really
much of a problem.

Also note that NANOG mixed DS and FH last week without incident.

Jim

---

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:50:24 -0500 (CDT)

Jim