Subject: DNS server performance

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:39:41 -0400

What kind of query rates can a good DNS server sustain these days? Any
order-of-magnitude design values or something specific such as "a Sega
Dreamcast running SegaOS and bind 8.7 can sustain a rate of 100
'standard' queries a second" would be very helpful.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

> 'standard' queries a second" would be very helpful.
 
Here is a snippet from another discussion that occured last week.
The context is a server that hosts the popular gtlds.

"...sees on average 2500
queries per second with peaks of around 5000 queries per second."
  
This is on current Sparc HW (a 450 as I remember) and bind 8.1.2.

--bill

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

"...sees on average 2500

--bill