Subject: Re: a moment of silence

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:04:51 -0700

*> From [email-masked] Thu Oct  7 06:00:37 1999
  *> From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
  *> MIME-Version: 1.0
  *> Content-Type  *> :   *> text/plain  *> ;   *> charset=us-ascii  *> 
  *> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
  *> To: [email-masked]
  *> Subject: a moment of silence
  *> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:50:45 -0700
  *> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
  *> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
  *> Content-Length: 335
  *> X-Lines: 9
  *> 
  *> october 16th is the first anniversary of the death of jon postel.  while it
  *> might be tempting to shut the net off for an hour in memoriam, it does not
  *> seem very responsible.
  *> 
  *> i intend to shut down my personal home/office site and all servers there for
  *> the day.  others may have their own ways of expressing respect and regret.
  *> 
  *> randy
  *> 
  *> 
Randy,

Having known Jon pretty well, I doubt that he would have wanted things to
shut down.  But he would have liked the idea of (1) putting a little
humor into our Internet work, (2) striving harder to be precise and
logical in what we do, and (3) thinking a bit about how to be kind to
other people, local and remote.

Bob Braden

---

From: Pete Loshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 19:20:20 -0400

>other people, local and remote.

I'm totally serious about this, even though it may seem flip, but why not
start celebrating his life with a holiday on his birthday? The three items
that Bob note here seem particularly worthy of celebration, and October 16
is too close to Columbus Day. Plus, holidays are more popular; plus
holidays usually come on the birthday not death day. And August 6 is just
far enough away from July 4 and Labor Day. (Sorry about all the US-centric
dates here.)

Call it Internet Day. Start a tradition by giving your oldest usable
computer to someone who doesn't have one but would like one, or setting up
a modem, or installing networking software, or stuff like that. I'm sure
there's plenty of other Internet-specific customs that be dreamed up
(games, special foods, etc.) not to mention making that a special day for
thinking about public service computing as well as celebrating clarity of
thought.

In any case, a holiday like that seems to me far more productive than a
moment of silence could be.

my $0.02
-pl

+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| Pete Loshin                           http://www.loshin.com |
|                                                             |
| _IPv6 Clearly Explained_ Morgan Kaufmann January 1999       |
| _TCP/IP Clearly Explained_ 3rd ed Morgan Kaufmann June 1999 |
|                                                             |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Pete Loshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 19:20:20 -0400

my $0.02
-pl