Subject: RE: Wireless @ D.C. IETF

From: "Arnoud Zwemmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:59:11 +0200

> We have no plans right now to support DS.  We chose to provide FH instead
of
> DS because we are able to scale an FH network better.

Geez, this FH/DS battle is long over now. The IEEE 802.11 High Rate (11
Mbps) standard is DS-only. See also the Wireless Ethernet Compatibility
Alliance (http://www.wirelessethernet.org) formed some time ago.

Arnoud.

---

From: "Arnoud Zwemmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:59:11 +0200

of

Arnoud.

---

From: "Jake Khuon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:52:09 -0700

### On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:59:11 +0200, "Arnoud Zwemmer" <[email-masked]>
### casually decided to expound upon <[email-masked]> the following thoughts
### about "RE: Wireless @ D.C. IETF":

AZ> > We have no plans right now to support DS.  We chose to provide FH instead
AZ> of
AZ> > DS because we are able to scale an FH network better.
AZ> 
AZ> Geez, this FH/DS battle is long over now. The IEEE 802.11 High Rate (11
AZ> Mbps) standard is DS-only.

I think the battle is far from over.  Yes, 802.11b is 2.4GHz/DSSS but that's
probably because it's simpler to impliment right now.  I understand work is
still continuing on the 802.11a implimentation using 5GHz/OFDM.  There are
test and prototype units already running in labs that have pushed 25Mbps.

--
/*====================[ Jake Khuon <[email-masked]> ]======================+
 | Network Statistics Engineer, NSM/Net-Eng   /~_ |_ () |3 /-\ |_ _ GLOBAL |
 | VOX: +1(408)543-4828  Fax: +1(408)543-4806 \_| C R O S S I N G   CENTER |
 +===============[ 141 Caspian Court, Sunnyvale, CA  94089 ]===============*/

---

From: "Jake Khuon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:52:09 -0700