Subject: VPN Mailing list administrator?

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:41:41 -0400

Several IETFs ago, a mailing list was set up for a VPN BoF. Some of us
are on that list, but unfortunately there appears to be nobody
responsible for managing that list, and the majordomo robot is busted.
The only thing to come through this list in months is spam. This email
is to point out two things:

1. would the person or persons at Bay Networks/Nortel who are
responsible for this mailing list system PLEASE do something about it?
Email to Postmaster apparently is directed to /dev/null.

2. IETF working group mailing lists NEED to be run on an IETF system.
This issue comes up from time to time. If we need to pay someone to
maintain the list server, then let's do it. Having a consistent and
reliable system for all of the mailing lists would be a MAJOR step
forward for the IETF.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Senie                                        [email-masked]
Amaranth Networks Inc.            http://www.amaranthnetworks.com

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:11:24 -0400

> Email to Postmaster apparently is directed to /dev/null.

I will forward to the person I know who might know.

> reliable system for all of the mailing lists would be a MAJOR step

Since no VPN WG was ever formed, this mailing list would not have been
eligible to be an official IETF list.

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:11:24 -0400

Thomas

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:33:28 -0400

> eligible to be an official IETF list.

That would be one possible policy.  Another would be, "OK, if we're going
to hold a BoF, then maybe it'll turn into a  WG, and we don't want to
migrate the list, so let's host the BoF list at ietf.org".

(Mind you, I'm not certain about the premise that having IETF host the
lists would help--the current system is a little messy, but it has the
advantage of spreading the cost out to the people that are most interested
in seeing the work done.)

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Id est fabula nostra, et non mutabimus eam!  |
[email-masked]|--House Falconguard and Affiliated Scum      |
\==============================================================/

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:33:28 -0400