Subject: First Call for Articles - Crossroads Magazine

From: Kimberly S Moorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 12:03:08 -0600 (CST)

**************************************************************************
			Call For Articles
Crossroads, the Association for Computing Machinery Student Magazine
                        Mobile and Wireless Computing (Winter 2000)

		DUE DATE:          April 17, 2000
              SUBMISSION ADDRESS:  
               http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/
              INFORMATION:         [email-masked]
               http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/cfas/mobile.html

The student guest editor for this issue is: Sandeep Jain 
[email-masked].  If you would like to submit an article for this
issue, please email Sandeep to review your idea.

The Crossroads editorial staff invites authors to submit articles dealing
with topics drawn from several areas pertaining to Mobile and Wireless
computing.  The following partial list of topics is provided to give
prospective authors ideas for articles and is by no means exhaustive; other relevant topics
will be considered.  Papers that draw connections between two or more of
these areas are especially welcome.
-History and Future of Mobile and wireless computing
-Applications: i.e. information services
-Networking Models and their implementations
-Cellular, Wireless LAN, Wide Area Net., Paging Net.
-Data management
-Integration of wireline and wireless systems
-Protocols to deal with the mobile environment
   -mobility, intermittent connectivity,...
-Issues
      -Bandwidth - i.e. Infrared, Microwave
      -Battery Life - i.e. AA Batteries, NiCad, energy efficient
      -Software(Solaris)/Hardware(Hobbit)
      -Security, reliability. 

Articles should include a basic description of the kinds of problems
being worked on, the state of the art of research, the state of the art
of commercial applications, open problems, or future research/commercial
development trends. Interviews with researchers; reviews of related books, 
software, videos, or conferences; and opinion columns on related issues 
are also welcome.  We especially encourage both undergraduate and graduate 
students to submit articles.  However, articles written or coauthored by 
professionals will also be considered.

Crossroads articles should be written for a broad audience.  They should
be easily understandable by someone who has had only the most basic
computer science instruction, and yet still be interesting to the
advanced computer enthusiast.  Articles longer than 6000 words will
generally not be considered for publication.  Feature articles should be
between 1500 and 6000 words; reviews should be between 800 and 2000
words; and opinion columns should be between 800 and 3000 words.
Articles should be written in a magazine style rather than a research
paper style.  In consideration of our diverse readership, authors should
try to use language that is inclusive of people regardless of their
gender, race, religion, nationality, or field of study.  Additional
writing guidelines and submission information are available online at
the Crossroads web site 
(http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/information/writing.html).

Crossroads is published both online and in print.  We have a print
circulation of about 15,000.  All back issues are available for free on
our website.  Authors that have an article printed in Crossroads can
receive complementary copies of the issue they were published in.

All submissions should be formatted in HTML or plain text format and
submitted via http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/

Submissions are due April 17, 2000.  They will be reviewed shortly
thereafter and authors of accepted submissions will be notified within two
to three weeks of the deadline.

Prospective authors are invited to send email to the editors of Crossroads
([email-masked]) indicating their intention to submit an article.  In
this way we can keep everyone informed of any changes in deadlines or
formats and make sure we have a good variety of articles.  General
questions should also be sent to the Crossroads editors.
***************************************************************************