Subject: Re: Wireless @ D.C. IETF

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 22:06:05 -0500

We'll be using the BayStack 650 Wireless devices (IEEE 802.11 FH),
   but unfortunately we only have drivers for MS Windows(95,98,NT, 2K)
   machines.  So, in an effort to make up for our lameness and to
   provide support for other platform's I'd like to make an offer.

   I'll give you a free Wireless Access Point(10BaseT to wireless
   ethernet bridge) and a PCMCIA Wireless NIC if you can provide a
   functioning driver by 8:00am on Sunday Nov. 6th ...

If you don't run *BSD on a laptop you can probably delete this message now.

Thanks to the generosity of Nortel Networks, (who got me the hardware
a week and a half ago), I've been able to write a driver which is
functional enough that earlier today I was able to check the driver
into the NetBSD master sources from a laptop connected to the net
through one of these cards.

The driver works on NetBSD-current and NetBSD-1.4.1; it should be
relatively straightforward to port to other *BSD systems, though I'm
not familiar enough with how (for instance) FreeBSD does PCMCIA to be
able to do the port myself.

If you have any interest at all in using this driver during the coming
week, either on NetBSD or on other systems, please send me a message
with "BSD 802.11" in the subject line and I'll keep you informed of
updates/bug fixes/helpful hints/etc. as the week goes by.

					- Bill

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 22:06:05 -0500

- Bill