Subject: Normative RFC references

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:52:38 +0100

Hi all,

What is the best way to deal with the RFC status in normative references?
Should I only use normative references on "Standard" RFC's although
"Proposed Standard" RFC's may already obsolete them and contain better
information?

Should I give a choice?

Example:
(Y = Proposed Standard, obsoletes X; X = Standard)

"If Y is implemented, use blabla as in Y. Otherwise, blabla must be
used as defined in X."

In my case, I am currently updating my draft "draft-welzl-ptp-01.txt"
which relies on MIB-II information; RFC2233, being a Proposed Standard
RFC, now offers a new object that certainly makes sense but will
not be available in all routers due to the RFC status. The version above
("if RFC2233 is implemented, ...") seems to be the best choice then,
doesn't it?

Regards,
Michael