Subject: Call for Discussion on I18N Domain Names WG Charter

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:39:19 +0800

Dear all,

For those who has attended the I18N Domain Names BoF at IETF in Washington,
the conclusion of the BoF is that we should form a Working Group. We are in
the process of drafting the charter of the working group and now calling for
participation. For those who is interested, please join send an email to
[email-masked] with the "subscribe" in the body. 

The initial drafted charter is attached below. We would like to get a
consensus on the draft by next week and will forward to IAB for approval.

Thanks. *cheers*

-James Seng

--- CUT HERE ---
Internationalised Domain Names (idn)
------------------------------------

Co-chairs:
  James Seng <[email-masked]>
  Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>

Mailing List:
  [email-masked]
  subscription requests: [email-masked]
  Archive: http://www.idns.org/technical.html

The goal of the group is to investigate and specify the requirements
for supporting internationalized (i18n) domain names. The scope will be 
limited to the technical issues not the politics.

The Action Item(s) for the Working Group are

1. An Informational RFC specifying the requirements for I18N of Domain
   Names and considerations for developing a solution to the problem.

2. An Informational RFC documenting down the various proposal and 
   Implementation of I18N of Domain Names. 

Milestones:
  Jan 2000  First draft of the requirements document
  Mar 2000  Presentation and discussion at IETF-Adelaide
  May 2000  Second version of the draft
  Jun 2000  IETF presentation and wg last call

---

From: Ian King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:29:59 -0800

These items sound IMHO like important groundwork for that latter document.
By focusing on such things as these early, a WG avoids getting bogged down
in religious wars OR reinventing yet another wheel.  Once these two
Informational RFCs are written, either this WG or another can always "do the
math" to determine if there is already a workable solution in existence, or
more work is needed.  

This is an interesting problem.  I for one intend to come play....  :-)  

-- Ian 

-----Original Message-----
From: John Gilmore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 12:36 AM
To: James Seng
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Marc
Blanchet; J. William Semich; Shigeki Goto; Tan Tin Wee; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Call for Discussion on I18N Domain Names WG Charter 

>    Implementation of I18N of Domain Names. 

Wouldn't it be better for the WG to have an explicit goal of defining
standards-track protocols and operational requirements for
internationalization of the domain name system?  Informational RFC's
are useful, but not nearly as useful as interoperable standardized
protocol implementations.

	John

---

From: Ian King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:29:59 -0800

-- Ian 

-----Original Message-----
From: John Gilmore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 12:36 AM
To: James Seng
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Marc

	John