Subject: Mobile Multimedia Messaging Services (mmms) BOF

From: Mathis Jim-AJM005 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 13:20:33 -0600

A BOF will be held at IETF 46 (currently scheduled for Thursday
morning) to discuss the need for and interest in creating a
working group to address Internet multimedia messaging standards
for mobile, or otherwise bandwidth constrained, devices. 

The mailing list for this topic is [email-masked] and you can
subscribe by sending a request to [email-masked] with 
the single word "subscribe" in the body of the message.

The agenda is attached below.  Anyone interested in presenting
at the BOF can contact me at [email-masked]

===========================================

Mobile Multimedia Messaging Service (mmms)

CHAIR: Jim Mathis <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

Advances in radio and cellular communications technology are making it
practical to exchange not just short text message but larger media-rich
messages in a wireless environment. This BOF is intended to determine
the need and interest in creating a new IETF working group within the
Application Area. This working group would develop internet practices
and standards to define how best multimedia messaging services could be
provided in a mobile or bandwidth-constrained Internet environment.  The
emphasis is on the application level protocols, not the transport or
network protocols associated with wireless networks.  Existing multimedia
messaging related standards (e.g., MIME, POP3, IMAP, SMTP) would form the
basis of this work, with additional work in areas to be determined at the
BOF meeting, potentially including:
        * Push notifications to the client.
        * Deliver of messages according the quality of network connection
        currently available (due to coverage, network capacity and user
        subscription)
        * Setup and activate user profiles that define handling rules
        * Automatic or manual selective retrieval/forwarding of the parts
        of individual messages
        * Control of message part transcoding before deliver to client.

If sufficient interest exists, this BOF will create a draft charter for
a working group defining the scope of work and relationships with other
IETF working groups and external standards organizations. 

AGENDA:

Introductions
Agenda bashing
Needs & Requirements presentations
        * Motorola
        * others
Scope and charter crafting