Subject: cats and lasers

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Dec 1999 17:31:50 -0500

Following my reply to the "this has to be the stupidest patent I've
ever heard of", several people wrote to me to say they couldn't find
the "cats and laser pointers" patent. It is:

http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&pn=US05443036__

 Abstract: A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of
 directing a beam of invisible light produced by a hand-held laser
 apparatus onto the floor or wall or other opaque surface in the
 vicinity of the cat, then moving the laser so as to cause the bright
 pattern of light to move in an irregular way fascinating to cats, and
 to any other animal with a chase instinct.

-- 
Perry Metzger		[email-masked]
--
"Ask not what your country can force other people to do for you..."

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:56:53 -0500 (EST)

> directing a beam of invisible light produced by a hand-held laser

this is exercise for cats that can see "invisible light" 

I suppose that is a special case that deserves a patent

Scott