Subject: RE: Email messages: How large is too large?

From: Andrew Fletcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:13:55 -0000

It could be argued that the 'correct' solution to large mail messages is for
the 'system' (mail exchanger)  to handle all messages the same from the user
perspective but to sort the messages based on size and transfer then over
more than one smtp session.  Traffic filters/routing policies could then
ensure that smaller messages are sent quickly and larger messages delayed
until bandwidth becomes available.  The mail could then be split into
different pop mailboxes (normal and bulk) for later retrieval or the mail
tool could look at the headers before download.

Its not an original idea and I am sure that a lot of ISPs do it but simple
solutions can get forgotten at times. 

The point is that whilst educating users is a _GOOD_ thing. Human nature
means that users will look for the easy solution and that means that they
will find a single method for sending attachments and stick to it.

Anyway how do you define large, Ten years ago it was 64K, now it is
10+(?)MB, next year ?  

The solution must be scalable with the network infrastructure which means
that the ISPs/Gateways should be responsible for implementing size-based
routing policies.

Leave the users out of it, many of them have enough trouble setting up the
existing mail options. Does anyone really want the users on a network
defining the size-based routing policy on a per desktop basis ?

Just my opinion, flame me if you want :)

Andy Fletcher

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:14:03 +0000

einstein might have said that matter and energy are interchangeable
but space and time are not
i can buy a 10Gig disk for a lot less than the average per diem pay in
US/EU

there's too MANY emails, not too MUCH of each
j.

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:14:03 +0000

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:34:51 -0800

[ i was not going to participate in this thread, but you pushed a button ]

> i can buy a 10Gig disk for a lot less than the average per diem pay in

the us/eu is not the world.  in some places *monthly* pay is 25% of the
price of that disk (and some of those places are in eu!).  those folk's
needs are just as valid as yours and mine, my privileged friend.

and some of us have to connect via slow and somewhat expensive means
occasionally, and thus we appreciate our correspondants asking before
sending a monster.

this is a society as well as a technology.

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:34:51 -0800

randy

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:47:36 -0800

>this is a society as well as a technology.

this should be framed, on a par with the presidents&kings quotation.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <[email-masked]>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:47:36 -0800

d/

=-=-=-=-=