Subject: RE: WAP

From: "Nagappa, Sathish" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:20:31 -0800

Hi All,

I just found out that joining WAP forum costs you only $50,000 in annual
fees; if you want to be an associate member, it is $7500 per year.  Is there
another "open" forum besides this?!  More geared towards corporate
memberships than individuals, it looks like.

Sathish

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hultquist [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 9:15 AM
To: Manohar Menon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: WAP

See the http://www.w3c.org/Mobile Web site.

ssh

                    "Manohar

                    Menon"               To:     [email-masked],
[email-masked]                      
                    <MMANO@maxis.        cc:

                    com.my>              Subject:     WAP

                    12/14/1999

                    08:19 PM

dear folks

 Could anyone inform me on details  - technical specifications and etc on
WAP ?

 Mano

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:43:30 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Nagappa, Sathish wrote:

> another "open" forum besides this?! 

Well, there's the World Wide Web Consortium, where fees are detailed
on: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Prospectus/Joining

> More geared towards corporate

Well, how many individuals own cellphone manufacturing plants?
 
L.

> See the http://www.w3c.org/Mobile Web site.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:43:30 +0000 (GMT)

L.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:39:58 +0730 (SST)

[ From: <[email-masked]> ]
    [ Date: 21:43:30 (+0000) 15 December 1999  ]

    > Well, how many individuals own cellphone manufacturing plants?

Duh ! You do not need to own a cellphone manufacturing plant to
implement the WAP standard for a WAP server, or do you ?

Going by the same logic, W3C, then should start asking for $50000,
with the reasoning that not every individual has the need for a
webserver. 

IMNHO, any standard should be open and freely accessible to anyone
who wants to implement it.  The WAPFORUM is a sham in that respect.

/amlan.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:39:58 +0730 (SST)

/amlan.

---

From: "Martin J. Duerst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:04:55 +0900

> with the reasoning that not every individual has the need for a

We actually do, but not if you want to use W3C Recommendations
(which are free to anybody), but only if you want to become
a Member (and you don't have to become a Member if you just
want to comment on some spec).

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:[email-masked]   http://www.w3.org

---

From: "Martin J. Duerst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:04:55 +0900

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:14:46 +0000 (GMT)

> implement the WAP standard for a WAP server, or do you ?

No. (You probably need to own a cellphone manufacturing plant to think
implementing the WAP standard for a WAP server is a good idea, though,
and so that you're less likely to be caught out by developments in
the standards. If you read the WAP documents at
http://www.wapforum.com/what/technical.htm you'll see e.g.
'Disclaimer: this document is subject to change without notice' on
(self-)approved standards. Encouraging.)

> with the reasoning that not every individual has the need for a

It does, as Martin points out.

> who wants to implement it. 

ISO would beg to differ. Not free, and input is heavily constrained.

L.

there's an 'as in bloodflow to the neck' line in here somewhere.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:14:46 +0000 (GMT)

L.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:07:07 +0200

Hello all.

Some comments below:

/kimmo

((SNIP))

> Well, how many individuals own cellphone manufacturing plants?
((KIMMO))

No-one I guess, but many can be designed WAP services in PC environment.

((KIMMO))

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:07:07 +0200

Hello all.

Some comments below:

/kimmo

((SNIP))

((KIMMO))

((KIMMO))