Subject: CDP

From: James F Dougherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:53:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Is CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) an IETF draft or RFC?
Any other information on discovery protocols or pointers
would be greatly appreciated.

				Thanks,
				-James

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:58:49 -0800 (PST)

> Is CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) an IETF draft or RFC?

No, but several years ago, we submitted a subset of CDP (which we
called PDP) as an Internet-Draft to the IETF's Physical Topology MIB
Working Group.  It was accepted as a WG document, with a number of
changes, but the WG lost interest in it more than a year ago (the
Internet-Draft has since expired).  The WG recently decided to go
forward with just a MIB, abandoning the attempt to standardise a
protocol.

Keith.

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:58:49 -0800 (PST)

Keith.

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:23:01 +0100

>forward with just a MIB, abandoning the attempt to standardise a

It might be mentioned that the reason the WG lost interest was that someone 
had a patent that might cover any exercise of the protocol, and that most 
of the participants felt that the added value of implementing the protocol 
wouldn't pay for the work of getting a patent license.

That's life.

                    Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:23:01 +0100

That's life.

                    Harald A