Subject: looking for a good LDAP documention

From: Simon Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:39:58 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I try to implement LDAP support in a little program I made.
However, I don't like to waste the program with all the LDAP
library stuff from the University of Michigan or OpenLDAP.

So I checkout out the LDAP RFC (1777) to make my own little
server implementation (it only should support search support
for LDAP on one level) and I must say its a useless RFC.
It's very abstract and doesn't really tell how client<->server
communicate to each other (responses, typical actions, etc).

Later I found out that LDAP is based on DAP (directory access protocol)
but I didn't find any real specification what is really send via
that protocol either. Did I miss some RFC or Draft who says what
is really send via the protocol?

Best regards,
Simon

---

From: Pete Loshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 10:08:45 -0500

At 11:39 AM 12/3/99 +0100, Simon Reynolds wrote:
...
>is really send via the protocol?

DAP is an ITU specification. You can purchase ITU specifications online at
www.itu.int; the prices are listed in Swiss francs and you pay for the
download. Though the RFCs should probably be enough to do LDAP, and LDAP
should be enough since that's what is mostly supported.

-pl

+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| Pete Loshin                    http://Internet-Standard.com |
|                                                             |
| _IPv6 Clearly Explained_ Morgan Kaufmann January 1999       |
| _TCP/IP Clearly Explained_ 3rd ed Morgan Kaufmann June 1999 |
|                                                             |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Pete Loshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 10:08:45 -0500

-pl