Subject: Proposal: reclassify RFC2549, 1149 as historical

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:25:56 +0000 (GMT)

I move we reclassify RFC2549 and RFC1149 as historical.

Evidence to support this: 'end of an era' according to
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000111464113065&pg=/et/00/2/14/wpig14.html
below.

In particular, I don't think the QoS additions have ever been fully
field tested; the WFQ proposal leads to observable instances of
dropped tails during measurement.

L.

don't you just hate thinking about sending yourself valentines?

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

ELECTRONIC TELEGRAPH, ISSUE 1725

Monday 14 February 2000

Spread of radio switches off political pigeon post
By Jon Stock in New Delhi

MORE than 600 Indian police carrier pigeons face early retirement
after officials decided to replace them with radios.
                                       
The decision to ground the birds before Wednesday's state assembly
elections in Orissa, eastern India, marks the end of an era. They
previously played a unique role in India's electoral process.
                                       
They last saw active duty during last year's general election, when
they carried messages to and from far-flung polling booths in the
remote Orissa districts of Koraput and Dhenkanal. The messages
detailed the law and order situation during polling. The pigeons are
kept in 28 lofts throughout the state and will now become showpieces
used solely for ceremonial purposes, according to Baikunthanath Das,
Superintendent of Police (Signals), who looks after them.

Their demise has been caused by what he called the advent of new
technology. He said: "Even the most remote interior areas now have VHF
radios."

The service was the only one of its kind in India. It was started in
1946 during British rule by the state police's Signal Establishment,
which bought more than 1,000 pigeons from the Indian Army after the
Second World War.