Subject: IETF List maintenance

From: The IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 09:41:04 -0500

To remove yourself from the IETF discussion list, send a message to
[email-masked]

Enter just the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

NOTE: List requests do not take effect until the next day, and there
      are always messages in the outbound queue. As such, you may 
      receive some messages, but only for a relatively short time.

The IETF discussion list serves two purposes. It furthers the
development and specification of Internet technology through discussion
of technical issues. It also hosts discussions of IETF direction,
policy, and procedures. As this is the most general IETF mailing list,
considerable latitude is allowed. Advertising, whether to solicit
business or promote employment opportunities, falls well outside the
range of acceptable topics, as do discussions of a personal nature.

This list is meant for initial discussion only. Discussions that fall
within the area of any working group or well established list should be
moved to such more specific forum as soon as this is pointed out,
unless the issue is one for which the working group needs wider input
or direction.

In addition to the topics noted above, appropriate postings include: 

o Last Call discussions of proposed protocol actions 
o Discussion of technical issues that are candidates for IETF work, but
  do not yet have an appropriate e-mail venue
o Discussion of IETF administrative policies 
o Questions and clarifications concerning IETF meetings. 

Inappropriate postings include: 
o Unsolicited bulk e-mail 
o Discussion of subjects unrelated to IETF policy, meetings,
  activities, or technical concerns
o Unprofessional commentary, regardless of the general subject. 

The IETF Chair, the IETF Executive Director, or a sergeant-at-arms
appointed by the Chair is empowered to restrict posting by a person or
of a thread as they deem appropriate to limit abuse. Complaints
regarding their decisions should be referred to the IAB <[email-masked]>