Subject: Need HELP for SNMP

From: Sriram Shanmugam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:41:53 +0530

Hai Everybody,

	I am working on SNMP , i would like to know how to start the coding
for SNMP , is there any web site from where i can get an introductory
material (Code) , or any books which deal with coding ? . I have read many
books but most or in fact all of them deal with the theoretical part alone.

	I would like to a develop the code do discover all the SNMP Agents
present on the Network , how do i go abt it?.

Eagerly waiting for the reply

S.Sriram

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:07:41 -0500

> present on the Network , how do i go abt it?.

Step 1: Send a ping to the subnet's broadcast address.

Step 2: For each machine that answers, contact its port 161, and see if
you get 'port unreachable'.

Step 3: For each machine that did ping, but doesn't say 'port unreachable',
try talking SNMP to the port.

Step 4: Make sure you've talked to the network/security administrator BEFORE
you do this, so you are not lynched by the admins of machines that have
tripwired port 161 to detect portscans....

In other words, be *VERY* sure that you have management backing before trying
it.  Failing to ask first can be quite a Career Limiting Move....

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:07:41 -0500