Subject: Re:...the Internet 2000 Citizens 0

From: Salvador Vidal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:27:48 +0100

Hello Gordon and all,

At 19:16 24/01/00 -0500, you wrote:
>http://cookreport.com/ipeverywhere.shtml

A report about Internet politics with sense and without censorship!, Is
Echelon on Strike?

>At the beginning of the new millennium the Internet is globally 
>triumphant.  Blindly embraced by politicians who do not >understand it

Politicians ignorance is not problem, they have our money to have the
service of the best consultants, but independence, are able the politicians
to do independent decisions when they need big boys money for their
electoral campains?

>we have traveled from the certainty of knowledge that publishing >is 
>an activity whereby elite gate keepers package knowledge for the 
>masses to a world where every computer owner can become a >publisher. 

Yes, but the big boys remain the control of information, so citizens are
able to publish but not to find the independent publishers if big boys
don´t want, there are some inciatives to break this elite control of
information like link exchange between webmaster, Do we need much more
about this critical point? 

>These changes made the dream of the network becoming 
>the computer - a dream that was first articulated earlier in the 
>decade -seem likely to become true.  They also made possible the rise 
>of a new application service provider industry.

Future applications will require much more information about users and
their business not only for personalization but also for subjetive
interpretation of the virtuality, must we give all this information to the
ISP without garaties about their transparent activity with this information?
 
>We must strive for educational 
>processes that will make clear to regulators and the public alike 
>what economic and policy consequences will flow from the two 
>different approaches to the market.

You touch the main point, Do we need political, social, economic,
cultural,..., goals for Internet, to determine wich technical decisions are
better for this goals, or is better to continue taken random decisions just
to see what happend?

>Therefore one must consider whether the Internet technical community 
>while doing battle over the presumed uniformity necessary for IPv6 is 
>actually depriving itself of the time and effort needed to face more 
>intractable problems of scaling, including protocol diversity. 

Do the protocol diversity will aply also to normal user activities?, i.e.
hipertext with multiple links or electronic messages with and undefined
number of fields that diferent virtual comunities will adapt to their
circuntances, to aproach to the goal that the culture defines the standars,
not the standars the culture.

>We find that one battle of the year 2000 is to be between the 
>horizontal versus vertically integrated business models.

It looks that horizontal business model will be least bad for users but:

-Sure many stakeholders will defend copyrights, which of the horizontal
stakeholder will defend the citizens right to access to the culture?
-Sure many stakeholders will defend companies rights to keep the secret of
the products, which horizontal, vertical or diagonal one will defend the
citizens right to have information and protection about the produts they use?
...

>They must also make the right judgments about the governance and 
>standards wars, and the rapid shift in market economics. The >winners 
>will be those who get the  right answers to this complex mix of 
>questions.

Instead my questions are very simple, like me!, I don´t know who are your
winners but I am sure about the lossers, citizens as usual! 

So I agree with internet 2000, yes but Internet 2000 Citizens 0

The system remain unbalance, SO WHAT?

>Gordon Cook January 24, 2000
>
>****************************************************************
>The COOK Report on Internet      Index to 8 years of the COOK  Report
>431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA  http://cookreport.com
>(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              IP Everywhere: Riding the
>[email-masked]                     Internet Tsunami - 392 pages
>just published. See  http://cookreport.com/ipeverywhere.shtml
>****************************************************************
>

Best Regards,

Salvador Vidal

******************************************************************
You get this message because you "subscribe" to my distribution list,
acording to the actual regulation this message is not considered spam,
because I give you a way to unsubscribe:

If you want to unsubscribe please call my grandmother Angelina at + 34 91
650 24 53, Bable speaking with a very high voice volume will be an asset
for this regard.
******************************************************************

---

From: Salvador Vidal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:27:48 +0100

Hello Gordon and all,

 

Best Regards,

Salvador Vidal