Subject: Mailing list for forming WG?

From: "Kaelin Colclasure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 10:34:31 -0800

I apologize if this information is available elsewhere, but I was wondering
if the Majordomo at ietf.org is a resource available for hosting mailing
lists
for discussions which aspire to be an IETF working group?

Such a discussion has been ongoing on the SOAP mailing list in the wake of
the
recent meeting announced by Michael Condry. But it's become apparent to at
least some of the participants that the SOAP list is not an appropriate
forum,
and an alternative venue is being sought.

A list hosted at ietf.org would seem to have the benefit of providing a good
repository of context should a working group actually be formed.

If this use of Majordomo at ietf.org is permissable, whom would one contact
about setting up such a list?

-- Kaelin

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 16:47:07 -0500

> I apologize if this information is available elsewhere, but I was
> wondering if the Majordomo at ietf.org is a resource available for
> hosting mailing lists for discussions which aspire to be an IETF
> working group?

The main problem with this is that not all mailing lists ever become
WGs. We'd be potentially opening up the floodgates to anyone who wants
a mailing list. I doubt that the secretariate has the resources for
that.

Also, some might say that if an effort can't garner sufficient
interest for someone to be willing to host a mailing list, that is an
indication of lack of support for the topic.

Finally, the IETF already has plenty of problems with some folks
(mis)using the IETF name. If we allowed pre-WG mailing lists to be
hosted from ietf.org, I'm sure some folks would point that fact out
quite loudly when asserting that they will be defining the next
standard. "See, we already have an official IETF mailing list".

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 16:47:07 -0500

Thomas

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 23:19:33 +0000 (GMT)

> indication of lack of support for the topic.

Then they've not been paying attention lately. A couple of services
that spring to mind for setting up mailing lists are:

http://www.onelist.com/
http://www.egroups.com/

The effort and level of knowledge required to set up a mailing list is
pretty minimal these days.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 23:19:33 +0000 (GMT)

http://www.onelist.com/
http://www.egroups.com/

L.

---

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:52:16 -0500

>pretty minimal these days.

Acually, anyone who wishes to start a mailing list, whether related
to the IETF or not, can do so -- just obtain a copy of majordomo (or
listserv or whatever) and Viola!

That's how mailing lists used to be done for working groups in
the IETF anyways -- someone just volunteered to set one up.

- paul

---

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:52:16 -0500

- paul

---

From: "Kaelin Colclasure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:05:11 -0800

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. I am certainly aware of egroups.com, as
I host a list there, and a good friend of mine is one of their
architects. I asked about hosting it at ietf.org only to establish
wether this was or was not accepted procedure.

The rational for *not* allowing this sounds perfectly reasonable to
me. :-)

Just for future reference -- if a WG is formed, what is the usual
procedure regarding pre-existing mailing lists? Does the WG continue
using the original list? Are archives transferred? Or just linked
with an href?

-- Kaelin

--
Become a Venture Technologist... <http://www.everest.com/careers/>

----- Original Message -----
From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
To: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Cc: Kaelin Colclasure <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: Mailing list for forming WG?

---

From: "Kaelin Colclasure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:05:11 -0800

Gentlemen,

-- Kaelin