Subject: RE: IETF Adelaide and interim meetings for APPS WGs

From: "Parkinson, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:44:23 -0000

There is more than America out there ?

;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: John Stracke [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 3:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IETF Adelaide and interim meetings for APPS WGs

Graham Klyne wrote:

> But I am still uncomfortable with it.  It implies that, somehow, any
non-US
> participant is somehow a second class citizen, who is permitted to attend
> purely as a concession by the US elite whose organization this is.  Maybe
> that also is true -- but I don't have to like it.  I very much prefer the
> "pretense"

In other words, the pretense is self-fulfilling: by claiming (and striving)
to
be global, the IETF avoids driving away non-US participants, which makes the
IETF more truly global.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Yes, sir, we've graphed the data. It's a smiley|
[email-masked]|face, sir.                                     |
\================================================================/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:20:17 -0500

> There is more than America out there ?

There's a lot more out there.  It's to make up for the fact that in reality,
Idaho, Wyoming, and Rhode Island don't really exist - anybody claiming to
be from one of these 3 states is obviously an alien impostor. ;)

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:20:17 -0500

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:15:47 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, 

 >>There is more than America out there ?

you mean america still exists - i thought it was actually a myth like
atlantis....

 >>be global, the IETF avoids driving away non-US participants, which makes the

 cheers

   jon

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:15:47 +0000

cheers

   jon