Subject: FAQ: The IETF+Censored list

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:15:03 +0100

The IETF+Censored mailing list
                                       
   At times, the IETF list is subject to debates that have little to do
   with the purposes for which the IETF list was created. Some people
   would appreciate a "quieter" forum for the relevant debates that take
   place, but the IETF's policy of openness has so far prevented the IETF
   from imposing any censorship policy on the [email-masked] list.
   
   To give people an alternative, there is a list called
   "[email-masked]".
   
   This list is a sublist (that is, it gets the same messages as) the
   open IETF discussion list. However, this list will not forward all
   messages; in particular, the filters have been set so that persons and
   discussions that are, in the view of Harald Alvestrand, irrelevant to
   the IETF list are not forwarded.
   
   Because this filter is automated, the criteria include:
     * Well known troublemakers
     * Well known crosspostings
     * Subjects that have led to recent non-conclusive exchanges
     * Some ways to say "unsubscribe"
       
   To join the list, [1]send the word "subscribe" in the BODY of a
   message to [email-masked] (the URL here is an RFC
   2368 mailto URL that does the Right Thing).
   
   For fun, there is a special list for the rejected messages:
   [email-masked] - subscribe in the same fashion,
   by [2]mail to [email-masked]
   
   By public request, the current set of filters are listed at
   [3]http://www.alvestrand.no/cgi-bin/hta/ietf+censored-filters
   
   Some statistics on postings, which may be useful in getting a
   perspective on the effects of the filter, are at
   [4]posting-counts.html (started Oct 14, 1998).
   
   This page is http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf+censored.html, and is
   posted monthly in text form to [email-masked]
     _________________________________________________________________
   
   Harald Tveit Alvestrand [5]< [email-masked]>

References

   1. mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe
   2. mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe
   3. http://www.alvestrand.no/cgi-bin/hta/ietf+censored-filters
   4. http://www.alvestrand.no/posting-counts.html
   5. mailto:[email-masked]