Subject: Re: Last Call: Root Name Server Operational Requirements to BCP

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 19:11:36 +1100

Date:        Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:38:09 -0500
    From:        The IESG <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name Server Operations
  | Working Group to consider Root Name Server Operational Requirements
  | <draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-03.txt> as a BCP.

One minor point - section 2.8 ...

   2.8 Servers MUST generate checksums when sending UDP datagrams and
       MUST verify checksums when receiving UDP datagrams.

could perhaps be read as suggesting that a root server must discard a
UDP packet received without a checksum (checksum field set to 0), as in
such a packet the checksum cannot be verified.   I see no reason why a
root server shouldn't process such requests, however dumb some may consider
sending such things.   So, I'd propose rewording that sentence to...

   2.8 Servers MUST generate checksums when sending UDP datagrams and
       MUST verify checksums when receiving UDP datagrams containing
       a non-zero checksum.

to make it quite clear that the point is that the servers aren't allowed
to "optimise" away the checksum check, which I assume was the point.

kre