Subject: contents July COOK Report on Ethernet in the first mile

From: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 20:25:17 -0400

********************************
The COOK Report on Internet	July 2001 (Vol. 10, No. 4)
********************************

CONTENTS

Tools For Access And Scaling: Ethernet In The First Mile, 10 Gig In 
Backbone, ENUM In PSTN -- Jonathan Thatcher & Howard Frazier Explain 
Standards Goals Of EFM, Discuss How Ethernet Is Changing The Access 
Space
Impacting Product Development, Time Lines, & Broadband 
Infrastructure, pp. 1 -23

The Future Of Telecom As Customer Owned Assets, p. 23

ENUM Pushes Convergence By Facilitating Voip Access To Global PSTN Numbers
Rutkowski's Opposition Deflects IETF - ITU Plans
Mail List Debate Shows Significance Not Well Understood, pp. 24 - 43

Where ICANN Would Like To Push the Internet, p. 43

End Notes:  Dave Hughes Blasts Alaskan Telephone Association Before 
FCC --  A Look At FCC Resources For Small ISPs -- A Critique Of 
Tauzin Dingell,  pp. 44 - 47

Executive Summary, pp. 48-50

==================

COOK Report Summary or [email-masked] is a distribution 
list for the monthly free summary of the COOK Report on Internet. 

You should expect to receive the monthly summary that is usually 
between 7 and 15 thousand characters long. You may get one or two 
other messages a month.  This list is intended for distribution and 
not discussion. Anything posted to the list will bounce to me. I 
regard this as an experiment and reserve the right at my discretion 
to change list policy.

To subscribe by sending a message to [email-masked] with 
'subscribe cookrepsum' in the body.   To unsubscribe send mail to 
[email-masked] with 'unsubscribe cookrepsum" in the body

Full text of executive summary is also available at 
http://cookreport.com/10.04.shtml

-- 

****************************************************************
The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax) [email-masked]   Index to 9 years
  of the COOK  Report at http://cookreport.com          For info on new report
go to  http://cookreport.com/lightipgige.shtml .  'Light IP & Gig E"  serves
as tutorial on on going economic model of Internet infrastructure - $375.00
****************************************************************

---

From: Harald Alvestrand - IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:37:05 +0200

I believe this advertising is inappropriate on the IETF list.
Please stop.

At 20:25 12.05.2001 -0400, Gordon Cook wrote:
>Standards Goals Of EFM, Discuss How Ethernet Is Changing The Access Space
>Impacting Product Development, Time Lines, & Broadband Infrastructure, pp. 
>1 -23
>
>End Notes:  Dave Hughes Blasts Alaskan Telephone Association Before FCC 
>--  A Look At FCC Resources For Small ISPs -- A Critique Of Tauzin 
>Dingell,  pp. 44 - 47
>
>COOK Report Summary or [email-masked] is a distribution list 
>for the monthly free summary of the COOK Report on Internet.
>You should expect to receive the monthly summary that is usually between 7 
>and 15 thousand characters long. You may get one or two other messages a 
>month.  This list is intended for distribution and not discussion. 
>Anything posted to the list will bounce to me. I regard this as an 
>experiment and reserve the right at my discretion to change list policy.
>
>-
>This message was passed through [email-masked], which
>is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
>Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Maurizio Codogno.

---

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 05:05:09 -0400 (EDT)

>> [...]

Why? 
- Too late: after more than 10 years, why stop it now?
- That message, "was passed through [email-masked]"
  Therefore, it is kosher :^).
- Last, how different is that message compared with
  the monthly ietf_censored posting?

from me to you (da da da da da dam dam da :-),

-- 
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
- If ain't broke, ain't fix IT;but I'm broke, so IMFix IT!

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:55:34 -0400

>Why? 

        It isn't an IETF standards discussion.  It is 
advertising for a commercial product.

>- Too late: after more than 10 years, why stop it now?

        Better late than never.  

>  Therefore, it is kosher :^).

        Nope.  IETF Censored isn't an IETF list, though an IETF list
is filtered (by someone other than an IETF officer) into that list.

>  the monthly ietf_censored posting?

        IETF censored is not an IETF official mailing list.
IETF Censored is a private mailing list operated out of Italy.

Ran

---

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:58:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hello:

First of all, thank you for reply. And by the way,
you do not need to send me an extra copy of your
email (since I am on the IETF list). 

Second,  I get more annoyed when receive:
- extra copies of a same email
- "I am out of office" messages (guess: how many will I
  receive soon...).
- be rich in 7 days adv.
- Goldstein's tonner supply adv;
compared to a single predictable (filterable) "monthly 
report" posting.

Third, but it should not be considered as supporting
that monthly report post. I was questioning the
reason for stopping it.

> is filtered (by someone other than an IETF officer) into that list.

So, why had that "IETF officer" not censored it until
recently?

> IETF Censored is a private mailing list operated out of Italy.

Yes, but it is allowed to do a montly posting
to the IETF list?

Forth, we can work it out... we can work out...
Life is very short, and there is no time for fussing
and fighting my friend...

best regards,