Subject: Dynamic Linux address

From: Yunqu Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 1:32:2 -0500

Hi, Team

I am useing a dynamic address to access the cable modem. But I cann't establishe the eth0 interface. It looks I didn't receive a address. The ethernet card is connected to a cable modem.

The second question is I recompiled the kernal which included Crystal sound card. And it passed when system boot. But I cann't get any voice service.

Would anybody kindly help me?

Sincerely Yours,
Yunqu Liu
[email-masked]

Sincerely Yours,
Yunqu Liu
[email-masked]

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:52:41 -0700 (PDT)

First, if you are in the U.S., please contact your congresspeople about 
H.R. 1542, which would make unlicenced Internet telephony a crime:

  http://www.pulver.com/hr1542/

  http://www.pulver.com/hr1542/illegal.html

  http://www.pulver.com/hr1542/talkingpoints.html

> I am useing a dynamic address to access the cable modem. But I cann't
> establishe the eth0 interface. It looks I didn't receive a address.
> The ethernet card is connected to a cable modem.
> 
> The second question is I recompiled the kernal which included Crystal 
> sound card. And it passed when system boot. But I cann't get any voice
> service.

If your cable modem has a DHCP server, then it is probably also a NAT 
box, which may prevent you from using a H.323 voice-over-IP application.  
So you may have to disable the NAT features, and use a static IP address 
on your Linux box (i.e., the address that was assigned to your cable modem
in the configuration paperwork that you were probably given), in which 
case you might be able to use your Linux box as a private network DHCP 
server and gateway if you have other DHCP clients.  But depending on your 
cable modem company and the VoIP software you chose, you may be able to 
make it work with NAT.  

These links will probably help you with the first question:

  http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/LinuxCableModem.html

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/DHCP/

And here is a popular VoIP telephony program that supports RTP (RFC 1899)
and L.B.L. VAT protocols, but doesn't depend on H.323, so you might be 
able to use it even if you are behind a NAT box (but maybe not if both 
ends are behind different NAT boxes -- although there is probably some 
trick to make that work, I can't think of what off the top of my head.)

  http://www.fourmilab.ch/speakfree/unix/

  http://www.germane-software.com/SpeakFreely/

If you achieve a static IP address, you may be able to use OpenH.323 and 
interoperate with the huge number of H.323 clients:

  http://www.openh323.org/code.html

  http://www.openh323.org/h323_clients.html

Cheers,
James