Subject: [PROMS 2001] - Call for paper submissions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:54:02 +0200 (GMT+02:00)

[Apologies if you receive this more than once]

                        Second Call for Papers

                    6th International Conference on
             Protocols for Multimedia Systems - PROMS 2001

               17-19 October, Enschede, The Netherlands

Organised by the Center for Telematics and Information Technology (CTIT)
                     at the University of Twente

Emerging broadband interactive applications along with a development
of different networking technologies should draw telecom operators'
and service providers' attention to protocols supporting multimedia
systems as an interface between these two environments that has to
be still investigated and modified.

The PROMS 2001 conference is intended to contribute to a scientific,
strategic and practical cooperation between research institutes and
industrial companies in the area of distributed multimedia applications,
protocols, and intelligent management tools, with emphasis on their
provision over broadband networks.

PROMS 2001 will cover papers and demonstrations on research
and achievements related to the following topics:

- design and implementation of multimedia protocols for public switched
  telephony networks, mobile networks, data networks, and satellite
  networks using IP, ATM or other connectivity techniques;
- application, media, and protocol integration: synchronization of
  media streams;
- multiparty and group communication protocols;
- mobile networking and routing: multimedia communication
  architectures for mobile networks;
- multimedia applications: video-on-demand, digital video libraries,
  video games, virtual community, teleworking, teleteaching,
  e-commerce, telemeeting, virtual reality simulations;
- content based searching and querying;
- techniques for the specification of communication services
  required by multimedia applications;
- methods for real-time testing and analysis of service
  implementations;
- integration of media storage and communication mechanisms,
  operating system and high-performance issues;
- experiences with service provisioning using distributed multimedia
  applications;
- performance of protocols and applications: modelling, simulation
  and optimization in different networks;
- multimedia traffic engineering;
- applications and platforms for service management and
  provisioning;
- definition, provisioning, and supervision of QoS parameters for
  networked applications and services;
- intelligent management tools pertaining to costs and QoS,
  network access, accounting, security, and system resilience;
- service access - security, authentication, privacy;
- accounting and tariff policing for multimedia teleservices.

PROMS 2001 will consist of a two days technical program, a full day 
of tutorials, and demonstrations during the conference. We encourage
contributions in the form of full papers and position papers. Full 
papers should describe innovative and significant work. Position 
papers are meant to enable researchers to present exciting ongoing 
work in early stages, opinions about current developments, and 
suggestions for future directions. The purpose of position papers 
is to provide a seed for debate and discussion. Both types of papers 
will be reviewed by the program committee and included in the 
workshop proceedings. The proceedings will be published by 
Springer-Verlag as a Lecture Notes in Computer Science.

INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS
Authors are invited to submit full papers and position papers in PDF 
through our Web site http://www.ctit.utwente.nl/news/proms_2001.htm. 
Submitted manuscripts must describe original work (not submitted 
elsewhere). Full papers must not be longer than 12 single spaced 
pages and position papers must not be longer than 6 single spaced 
pages. Both types of papers should contain an abstract of approximately 
300 words, and include title, authors and affiliations. Final 
versions of accepted papers must be structured according to the 
instructions of Springer-Verlag. For further information, please 
contact a member of the organising committee ([email-masked]).

IMPORTANT DATES
- Full papers due               31 May 2001
- Authors notified              30 June 2001
- Full paper camera ready due   27 July 2001

CONFERENCE CHAIRMEN
Marten van Sinderen (chair), Univ. of Twente, NL,
     [email-masked]
Lambert Nieuwenhuis (co-chair), KPN Research and Univ. of
     Twente, NL, [email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
A. Azcorra, Carlos III Univ., Spain
J.L. van den Berg, KPN Research / Univ. of Twente, Netherlands
A. Campbell, Colombia University, USA
M. Diaz, LAAS-CNRS, France
H. Eertink, Telematica Instituut, Netherlands
F. Eliassen, University of Oslo, Netherlands
L. Ferreira Pires, University of Twente, Netherlands
F. Fontes, Portugal Telecom Inovatpo, SA, Portugal
G. Heijenk, Ericsson Eurolab, Netherlands
U. Hofmann, Univ. Salzburg, Germany
D. Hutchison, Lancaster University, UK
W. Jonker, KPN Research / Univ. of Twente, Netherlands
D. Konstantas, Univ. of Twente, NL / Univ. of Geneva, Switserland
C. Linnhoff-Popien, Institut fnr Informatik, Germany
L. Mathy, Lancaster Univ., UK
L. Nieuwenhuis, KPN Research / Univ. of Twente, Netherlands
S. Pallazzo, Univ. of Catania, Italy
Z. Papir, Univ. of Mining and Metallurgy, Poland
T. Plagemann, University of Oslo, UniK, Norway
R. Popescu-Zeletin, GMD-FOKUS, Germany
D. Quartel, University of Twente, Netherlands
J.-L. Raffy, Institut National des Telecommunications, France
J. Schot, Lucent Technologies, Netherlands
M. van Sinderen, Univ. of Twente, Netherlands
J. Zuidweg, Tecsidel, Spain

ORGANISING COMMITTEE
Giancarlo Guizzardi, Univ. of Twente, [email-masked]
Christian Tzolov, Univ. of Twente, [email-masked]
Marloes Castaneda Schlie, Univ. of Twente, [email-masked]
Annelies Klos, Univ. of Twente, [email-masked]