Subject: RE: SOAP/XML Protocol and filtering, etc.

From: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 17:43:30 -0700

>> The meaning of SOAPAction is not to say that "this is a stockquote 
>> service" but to say that "I am sending you a SOAP message of a type 
>> that is part of a stock quote service".
>
>okay, fine.  but why bother exposing this in the request header at all?

Because it can be hard to deduce from the message - especially as
messages may be composed of many pieces from other places using SOAP's
modular extensibility mechanism (headers). In a sense this is similar to
that a media type can be hard to guess based on the entity alone. 

Henrik

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 01:31:19 -0400

> that a media type can be hard to guess based on the entity alone.

then add that to the SOAP payload that gets passed in the HTTP entity
body.  don't penalize HTTP for SOAP's design deficiencies.

Keith