Subject: Re: Can employers forbid you from talking about IETF activities?

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:52:45 -0400 (EDT)

> The alternative, IMO, is to have IETF participants who are employed by
> industry companies such as Cisco and Microsoft viewed as official
> representatives of their companies rather than as individual (and independent)
> participants.

would the Cisco rep's opinion count the same as the rep for Bill's
Bits-to-Go apartment-building-wide ISP?

Scott

---

From: Mark Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 2001 08:19:27 -0700

> Bits-to-Go apartment-building-wide ISP?

If said rep from BB2G had accumulated cred with other IETF
participants, *YES*.

In fact, I would have a great deal of respect for someone who can
build from scratch an ISP in that environment, it is very different
and very challanging compared to yet-another-huge-dialup ISP.

The Cisco guy should not get any cred jsut because of the corporation
name on his business card.

-- 
Mark Atwood   | I'm wearing black only until I find something darker.
[email-masked] | http://www.pobox.com/~mra

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:35:29 -0400

> Bits-to-Go apartment-building-wide ISP?

Hmm... Bill's Bits-to-Go's technical guy may actually be responsible for
more network connections than I am (especially if it's a large apartment
building)..   Only solution here is to get out the clue-stick and see
who's taller. ;)

(Admit it, everybody - if you've been here over a month, you own a clue-stick
and have made mental notations of where all the usual suspects fit in.  And
that's as it should be.)
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech