Subject: 2 interfaces on same subnet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:40:53 +0300

Hi all,

I search why we can't have two ethernet interfaces(with different IP address
of course) on the same subnet?
I know it's impossible but why?
Thank you.

BR, Fayçal

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:44:31 -0400

> I know it's impossible but why?

It's not impossible.  It's just often difficult to do it *right*.

The biggest danger is accidentally forwarding packets between the interfaces
and causing a packet storm.  The second biggest problem is getting the
software to bind to the correct interfaces.

Consider that most modern Unix-derived systems allow you to configure
multiple IP addresses for the *SAME* interface, for web-hosting and the
like - so it's not TOO difficult to do.

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Dave Marquardt <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 2001 11:03:50 -0500

"Faycal" == EXT-Faycal Hadjiat <[email-masked]> writes:
Faycal> Hi all, I search why we can't have two ethernet
Faycal> interfaces(with different IP address of course) on the same
Faycal> subnet?  I know it's impossible but why?  Thank you.

It's not impossible, but there's a lot of software that makes it
impossible or difficult to do.

-- 
Dave Marquardt
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Austin, TX
+1 512 401-1077

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:21:31 -0400

> It's not impossible.  It's just often difficult to do it *right*.

Is it that useful? It'd boost reliability, but would it boost performance? If
you've got a card that can keep up with the wire, then you don't have any
bottlenecks that having two cards would solve.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Help stamp out vi in our lifetime!           |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: Vicente Alarcon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:32:19 +0100

Dear All,

Does anybody out there knows where I can find some network data with 
networks anomalies such as file server failures, network access problems, 
runaway processes, etc

Some raw data with these anomalies will be helpful

Thanks

Vicente
Imperial College
UK

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:47:25 -0400

> bottlenecks that having two cards would solve.

Not necessarily for switched media. Consider a 100BaseT switch with a gigabit
uplink to the backbone - running 2 100Mbit lines may get you twice the
throughput of one.  Maybe.  Your Mileage May Vary, etc etc. ;)
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:50:42 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> > If
> Not necessarily for switched media.

Oh, of course.  My dumb--the only network I actually run is at home, which can get
by with hubs.  :-)

--
/===============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own. |
|Chief Scientist |==============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"Fate just isn't what it used to be." --Hobbes|
[email-masked]|                                              |
\===============================================================/