Subject: Re: IETF Nominee for ICANN Protocol Supporting Organization selection

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:59:31 +0700

Hello:

I believe that this is the way to go, although 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-poisson-pso-appointments-00.txt
suggests a different way.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ietf-announce/message/184 :
> On behalf of the IETF, the IAB names Vint Cerf as its proposed
> candidate to the Protocol Council and strongly supports his
> re-election to the ICANN Board of Directors.
> 
> Although the IAB has put forward a proposal for a NomCom-based
> process to select proposed ICANN Board candidates to the POISSON
> working group, discussion has not reached consensus (with input
> from POISSON, current and past NomCom chairs) and it is time to
> act for this year's PSO appointment to the ICANN Board.
> 
>    John Klensin, Chair, for the IAB

-- 
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
-- Enemy at the Bill Gates --- http://www.id.debian.org --

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:38:56 -0400

--On Wednesday, 11 July, 2001 09:59 +0700 "Rahmat M.
Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-poisson-pso-appo
> intments-00.txt suggests a different way.

Of course it does.   Please read the second paragraph of the
announcement which you kindly repeated (and which is enclosed
below for convenience): the IAB made a proposal, Poisson did not
converge on consensus about it and others who were consulted
didn't reach consensus either.  So the alternatives were for the
IAB to make a decision or for us to forfeit our right to make a
nomination of this sort.   The IAB chose the former, and
nominated the incumbent, who is widely respected, experienced in
Internet issues, and widely perceived of as doing a good job.

In terms of our long-term strategy for filling this type of
position, we assume that discussion, in Poisson and, as
appropriate, elsewhere, will continue.

Did you have a question here?

    john

>> process to select proposed ICANN Board candidates to the
>> POISSON working group, discussion has not reached consensus
>> (with input from POISSON, current and past NomCom chairs) and
>> it is time to act for this year's PSO appointment to the ICANN
>> Board.