Subject: Viruses

From: "Jon William Toigo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:39:07 -0400

Can anyone tell me why we have become so popular with the virus guys all of a sudden?  For the past three or four days, I have been assailed by no fewer than 30 emails with virus attachments transmitted via this list.

Is anyone tracing the sender so we can spray him with RAID?

Thanks.

JWT

---

From: grenville armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:16:59 -0700

> Jon William Toigo wrote:
> 
> Can anyone tell me why we have become so popular with the
> virus guys all of a sudden?

Sssh! It is a little known secret that [email-masked] exists
primarily as a diversion. By making [email-masked] completely
accepting of crappy content and lame mail software, we hope
to seduce spam and virii away from WG mailing lists where all
the *real* work is done.

At least, that's the only faintly logical reason why attempts
to impose sane filtering on this list always seem to be shouted
down.

gja

---

From: Mark Durham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:52:44 -0700

Please forgive my naivete, but I find this situation astonishing. I'm on
many, many lists, and this is the *only* one to put SirCam into my inbox
- not just once, but at least a dozen times. And it's patently absurd to
run an older version of sendmail when more recent versions (starting
with sendmail 8.10) offer *much* more robust filtering capabilities,
both for spam and (via the milter API included since 8.10) for viruses.
Is it really someone's position that it would compromise the standards
process to filter this crap out? If so, please tell me who that is. I'd
love to be convinced that there's some good reason for putting up with
this flood of sludge.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:39:46 -0400

> - not just once, but at least a dozen times.

there are a *huge* number of people on this list.
unfortuantely, many of them run Windows and Microsoft Outlook and are
thus vulnerable to this virus.  and we are thus vulnerable to them.

I can't believe that folks are blaming sendmail for this.
Sendmail is doing its job, which is to deliver the mail intact.

Keith

---

From: "Jon William Toigo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:24:49 -0400

Actually, I'm not blaming anyone except the virus writers.  I was just
wondering if anyone is trying to backtrack the perpetrators so we could
hoist them from the petards.

JWT