Subject: Viruses revisited

From: Lillian Komlossy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:37:33 -0400

Perhaps the trick of filtering for viruses that works would be filtering by
the behaviour. It is easy with scripts and probably a bit more complicated
on compiled .exe etc files, but one clue I'd be looking for is the file
querying the e-mail client address book or any component (back-up lib) that
could contain e-mail addresses from it. This is no little task but if
accomplished, these old and tired e-mail viruses would be  a thing of the
past.
 
I don't agree with sending out 'Super Antivirus Software has found a virus
in this message and conquered and destroyed it' e-mails with every virus
catched because it adds to the traffic, (bandwidth) that has already been
increased by the virus.  It's a battle, it's a war and the best to fight it
is with a stealth approach, transparetly and away from the user whenever it
is possible. One thing is to remind everyone to be prudent and not to open
attachments and another thing is to allow a virus and it's writer(s) to
become a celebrity of sorts. Maybe if they are not getting the reaction they
are getting, virus writing will not even be so much fun anymore.
 
Cheers and a Great Weekend to Everyone,
Lillian

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com
<http://www.dmnews.com/>  || http://www.imarketingnews.com
<http://www.imarketingnews.com/>  || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||
mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>