Subject: MIPS

From: "Thakare, Kiran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:42:24 +0100

Hi All,

I have a minor question.  How would I calculate the MIPS in order to
estimate the baseband processing?
1.  How to calculate - Formula
2. What I need to know know in order to calculate this?

Would deeply appreciate an insight into this.

Thanks& Regards
Kiran

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
RadioScape Ltd.   -   Software Defined Radio Solutions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kiran Thakare,
Sr UMTS Architect

RadioScape Ltd.
2 Albany Terrace,
Regent's Park,
London NW1 4DS

Tel:    +44 (0) 207 224 1586
Direct: +44 (0) 207 317 3428
Fax:    +44 (0) 207 224 1595
Email: [email-masked]

Web:    http://www.radioscape.com

**********************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
[email-masked].

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses known at the time of sending.

www.radioscape.com
**********************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:45:48 -0400

> 2. What I need to know know in order to calculate this?

It's totally unclear what it is you're trying to estimate with "baseband
processing".  If you could explain what you're trying to do in more detail,
we might be able to help.

If you're trying to estimate the overhead of your network stack, the best
metric is probably "code path for normal-case packet".  Some kernels
implement zero-copy (which can be a win), and I remember some ancient
history where Van Jacobsen got the normal-case path down to some absurdly
low number like 35 opcodes (any of you other dinosaurs out there have a
reference for this)?

Note that MIPS in general are almost totally useless these days, especially
with multiple execution units on a CPU - even in the 6-year-old PowerPC
architecture, it was possible to effectively complete 4 or 6 instructions
in one clock cycle (if they involved a multiply-add, an unrelated floating
point, an unrelated integer operation, and a branch).  It was also possible
due to pipeline stalls (due to cache miss, data dependency, etc) for the
entire processor to stall for 15 or 20 clock cycles.  The Linux kernel
does compute a 'BogoMIPS' value - but that's ONLY used for "this is how
many times in a given specific null loop to delay 1/Nth of a second".
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:02:02 -0700 (PDT)

Yo Thakare!

> estimate the baseband processing?

Throw a number against the wall and just see what sticks.

MIPS == "Meaingless Index of Performance used by Salesmen".

RGDS
GARY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	[email-masked]  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676