Subject: Re: networksorcery.com spam (fwd)

From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:55:43 -0700 (PDT)

Yo All!

Hahahaha!  Here is how Marshall handles HIS mail.  He just throws it
away!  Maybe we can all learn from him?  :-)

RGDS
GARY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	[email-masked]  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:43:24 -0700
From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
To: Gary E. Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: networksorcery.com spam

This is an automated reply from Marshall Rose's personal mailbot.

Marshall receives several hundred messages each day, and if he tried to
read each one individually, he wouldn't be able to do anything else!
Thus he has delegated this herculean task to me.  Unfortunately,
I'm a mindless automaton, which means that I occasionally behave in a
suboptimal fashion.

One of my many responsibilities is to try to keep everything except
PERSONAL messages out of Marshall's personal mailbox.  You have sent a
message to his personal mailbox, but my guess -- and I could be wrong --
is that your message is not really intended for Marshall's personal
attention.  Thus I have moved your message to a lower-priority archive
where it probably will NOT be read by him any time soon.

If your message is about one of the topics listed below, there is a
better address to send it to.  Please check this list and see if
there is a more appropriate address, and if so, please resend your
message accordingly:

                Topic                   Please Use This Address Instead
    ------------------------------      -------------------------------
    Dover Beach Consulting              [email-masked]
    Invisible Worlds                    [email-masked]
    ISODE                               [email-masked]
      4BSD/ISODE SNMP                   [email-masked]
    MH                                  [email-masked]
      ..                                [email-masked]
    POP                                 [email-masked]
    Safe-Tcl                            [email-masked]
    SNMP                                [email-masked]
      SNMP+Tcl                          [email-masked]
        ..                              [email-masked]
      SNMP Testing                      [email-masked]
    The Simple Times                    [email-masked]
    TPC.INT                             [email-masked]
    xml2rfc                             [email-masked]

If your message is not about any of the topics listed above, and needs
Marshall's personal attention, please resend your message to Marshall's
personal mailbox, with this Subject field:

    Subject: [DES GULF ALP BIRD PLY SAID] networksorcery.com spam

and I will mark the message for his immediate attention.

Please accept my apology if you received this message in error.  Marshall
hasn't figured out yet how to make me quite as smart as he is, so
occasionally I bounce messages that I really shouldn't.

-- Marshall's personal mailbot

Subject: Re: networksorcery.com spam
From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
To: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

Yo mtr!

I believe that this mail list is opt-in and the bulk mail in question
was opt-out.  If you can not see the difference then we have big problems.

I spend a lot of time as postmaster for a lot of domains digging out from
under spam.  It is NOT a mole hill to me or a lot of other folks on this
list.  Opt-out just does not scale in an internet world.

RGDS
GARY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	[email-masked]  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Marshall T. Rose wrote:

> vern - one could just as easily argue that the 2K blather you just dumped
> into my mailbox is both unsolicited and bulk.
>
> talk about the proverbial mountain the mole hill.

---

From: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:54:46 -0700

> away!

actually, it's quite a clever little mailbot that i've been evolving for
over a decade now. since you did get a personal reply from me, i'm not sure
why you think your message got thrown away, however since you should have
already seen a non-automated reply.

> Maybe we can all learn from him?  :-)

you can lead a horse to water...

/mtr