Subject: london hotel

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 23:06:12 -0700

in case you are having trouble with medium price hotels in london, from a
friend, philip hazel, coming down from cambridge:

---

>> Incidentally, I found a suitable 3-star hotel in London for only GBP 55
>> per night.
> wow!  how far from paddington, where i gather we will be?

Couple of blocks. Royal Eagle Hotel. Found it via www.hoteladvice.com.
It's one of the deals on their London Hotels page. Looks to be maybe 10
minutes walk from the Hilton Metropole, where IETF is. (The other side
of Paddington.)

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:28:13 -0400

Being someone who resides in the US, hence does not have ISDN equipment for
my laptop, I tend to have difficulty dialing back home from hotel rooms.
(Someone has suggested I get an ISDN PCMCIA card, that's one open option.)
I have been able to dial home from some hotels, but not most.

What terminology would be understood by a desk clerk/manager at a hotel
with regards to the kind of telephone service they have?  At one hotel, the
system I could use was called the "AT&T" phones (vs. the ISDN phones).  At
another hotel, this wasn't the right terminology.

Also - there have been RJ-45 jacked phones that didn't work for me.  Is it
true that there is another phone standard I have forgotten about?

(Subtext: will I be able to dial back home from the IETF hotels, or will I
need to rely on the terminal "room?")

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: [email-masked]

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:46:28 -0400

Since a few folks have replied so far....

>true that there is another phone standard I have forgotten about?

....I meant RJ-11.  Too much 10*BaseT in my past.

---

From: Stephen McHenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:57:30 -0700

>....I meant RJ-11.  Too much 10*BaseT in my past.

Yes. There is another connector in the UK that is something like BT-6 
(don't quote me on the number) that is their equivalent of our RJ-11. In 
most phone stores, you can buy a converter because (fortunately for us) 
modems, even over there, only support RJ-11 (so some store know them as 
modem adapters).

This, of course, presumes that you can find a hotel with plugs. Many hotels 
are older and have hard wired connections.

Also note: many hotels have only dial phones, so take your cell phone if 
you're planning to fetch voice mail... not for its usability to make calls 
(they have a different system), but rather to generate the tones into the 
hotel phone mouthpiece to make your VM system (over here) respond.

Stephen

Stephen McHenry
VP, Engineering/CTO
Cacheware, Inc.
655 Campbell Technology Pkwy, Suite 150
Campbell, CA 95008
Ph:  (408) 540-1310
Fax: (408) 540-1305
e-mail: [email-masked]
www.cacheware.com