Subject: Re: filter large messages

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:01:10 -0600 (MDT)

> Received: by ietf.org (8.9.1a/8.9.1a) id LAA02309
> 	for [email-masked]; Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:40:02 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Jon Allen Boone <[email-masked]>

> ...
>     I'd say that there is rough consensus that the SPAM/virus damage
>   should stop.  But *where* is the running code?  ...

The Received: lines added by odin say that it is running sendmail 8.9.
That implies the running code is already installed.

I think that back in those ancient days, you set the maximum message
size on relevant mailer lines.  Sendmail 8.12 has a MaxMessageSize
option instead.  See the sendmail op document.

All that is needed is for someone to make a 30 character change to
sendmail.cf on odin and to restart sendmail to stop the flood of
viruses and thereby stop the flood of virus warnings.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:09:06 -0400

> viruses and thereby stop the flood of virus warnings.

simple fixes are quite often more broken than the problem they were
trying to fix.

do you suppose that there might be other traffic flowing through odin - 
traffic for which a size restriction would be inappropriate?
like internet-drafts, for example?

Keith

(okay, *some* size restriction might be appropriate for I-Ds, but
not the same one as for the IETF list.)