Subject: [Hist Trivia] IP Protocol Layers

From: "Timothy J. Salo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:58:35 -0500 (CDT)

Can anyone point me to an early reference describing the Internet
protocol layers in IP terms, rather than OSI terms?

One recent text used the following terms.  However, I don't know whether
this description has a long history, or is simply revisionist history.

	Application
	Transport (TCP, UDP)
	Internet (IP, etc.)
	Network Interface (LAN and WAN technologies).

By 1983 the Internet protocols were already being recast in OSI terms.
Vint Cerf, in "The DoD Internet Architecture Model", described the
following layers:

	Application
	Utility
	Transport
	Internetwork
	Network
	Link
	Physical

In May 1979, Jon Postel in IEN-94 ("Internet Protocol Handbook"; it was
small then - 1209 bytes) use the following layers:

>                        Internet Protocol Handbook
>                            Table of Contents
> 
> Gateway Level
>    Internet Datagram Protocol                                     IEN-80
>    Gateway Routing: An Implementation Specification               IEN-30
> 
> Host Level
>    User Datagram Protocol                                         IEN-88
>    Transmission Control Protocol                                  IEN-81
>    Multiplexing Protocol                                          IEN-90
> 
> Application Level
>    Name Server Protocol                                           IEN-89
>    Internet Message Protocol                                      IEN-85
> 
> Appendices
>    Protocol Options                                               IEN-92
>    Address Mappings                                               IEN-91
>    Assigned Numbers                                               IEN-93

Does anyone have a pointer to an early, more "traditional", non-OSI 
description of the TCP/IP protocol layers?

(By the way, I found the concept behind RFC 157, "Invitation to the Second
Symposium on Problems in the Optimization of Data Communications Systems",
rather interesting.  I must admit that I hadn't thought of submitting
spam as an RFC.)

Thanks,
	-tjs

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:46:09 -0500

The notion of higher layers (unspecified) above the internet layer is
clearly mentioned in IEN 48 "The Catenet Model for Internetworking"
by one V.Cerf, dated July 1978.

  Brian

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:16:38 -0700

> this description has a long history, or is simply revisionist history.

Hi, all,

FYI, there is a new mailing list, suggested by Bob Braden
and hosted by ISI's Postel Center for Experimental Networking,
focusing on this kind of 'Internet History' Q&A.

The list is an open forum for discussing issues of Internet History.
We hope to support these sorts of discussions, as well as hosting 
a set of FAQs.

To subscribe to the list, visit the automated website at:

	http://www.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-history

or send mail, with the word "help" in the subject or body to:
	[email-masked]

The list itself is "[email-masked]".

FYI...

Joe Touch
Director, PCEN