Subject: arp self reference

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:33:38 -0400

Hi,
	for references purposes, I tried to find in the RFCs without success a 
reference describing the arp self mechanism, which is used by many 
implementations in IPv4 to verify the usability of an address. Anyone can 
help me find the reference?
	thanks in advance.
Marc.

PS. just for the fun of it. here is an extract of the arp rfc (RFC826): 
"The Problem: The world is a jungle in general, and the networking game
contributes many animals." looks like it is still true! ;-)))

---

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:07:48 -0700

>help me find the reference?

See <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-03.txt>.

This cleared WG last-call in April, and has been submitted
to the IESG for advancement to Proposed Standard.

See sections 2.2. and 2.3.

Note that though this draft discusses probing and collision
detection  for link-local addresses, it is advisable to do
this for all IPv4 addresses, no matter how they are configured.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org