Subject: RFC-2001-07-11-000 IPv4+ and Testing of TOS Routing on New.Net Transport

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:32:42 -0500

RFC-2001-07-11-000 IPv4+ and Testing of TOS Routing on New.Net Transport

Whereas, IPv4 has long had a little used 8-bit field for TOS - Type of
Service.
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif

Whereas, the need exists to expand Internet Addressing beyond 32 bits.

Whereas, using the 8-bit TOS field as two 4-bit fields will expand the
addressing
to 36 bits, with existing IPv4 allocations, resulting in a 16 times increase
in the
size of the IPv4 Address Space.
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif

Whereas, TOS Routing is now commonly available in most open-source operating
systems.
http://www.google.com/search?q=TOS+Routing

Whereas, New.Net has recently crossed the 50,000,000 subscriber-access mark
with its ISP transport, consisting of Earthlink, @Home, Prodigy, Juno,
NetZero and
a wide variety of other ISPs.
http://www.new.net/about_us_partners.tp

Whereas, on July 3, 2001 - AOL Submitted to the U.S. Federal Trade
Commission
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/07/fyi0138.htm
Application for approval of non-affiliated Internet service providers (ISPs)
and alternative cable broadband ISP service agreements:
"Through this petition, AOLTW has requested Commission approval of: 1) Juno
Online Services, Inc. (Juno)"
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2000/12/aol.htm
For Release: December 14, 2000
FTC Approves AOL/Time Warner Merger with Conditions

Whereas, on July 9, 2001 ICANN singled New.Net out for special recognition.
http://www.icann.org/icp/icp-3-background/lynn-statement-09jul01.htm

Whereas, on July 10, 2001 Microsoft and VeriSign Announce .NET Alliance
http://corporate.verisign.com/news/2001/pr_20010710.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12657.html

Whereas, work continues on expanding all Internet resources available to
netizens.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12574.html
RFC-2001-07-01-000 IPv8 Expansion of Proof of Concept TLD Development

Resolved, that IPv4+ Testing can begin on the New.Net Transport to ensure
END-TO-END IPv4+ service without any changes to routers, software, etc.
for Earthlink, @Home, Prodigy, Juno, NetZero, etc. to increase the Address
Space of the IPv4 Transport by a factor of 16, buying users time to upgrade
equipment and evolve to QoS - Quality of Service arrangements for better
management of the transport used to service New.Net users.

Resolved, that IPv4+ Testing is fully compatible with IPv8 and IPv16
Addressing.

Resolved , that IPv5 indicators in the VERsion field are not needed for this
testing, but could be useful in future experiments to more explicitly
indicate the
usage of the TOS field for QoS Routing, and to allow ISPs to quickly sort
packets between legacy transports and transports constructed from newer,
higher-speed, equipment.

Resolved, that research work can continue on IPv7 which encompasses the
IPv4+
(IPv5) TOS Routing and the usage of the disabled Checksum Field, per IPv8,
to expand the Address Space by 8 additional bits to 44 bits, thus increasing
the
size of the Address Space by a factor of 256 beyond the 16 times increase
with
IPv4+ (IPv5).

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com
Mars 128n 128e
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12213.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12223.html