Subject: Re: why cant this list clean up the spam!!??

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:15:44 -0400

In message <p0510030cb7832b8bbd91@[192.168.0.1]>, Gordon Cook writes:
>I just got two copies and over the last 36 hours i have gotten 8 or 9 
>copies of the SAME SPAM!! all or virtually all of I believe from this 
>list because apparently you do not have to be subscribed to this list 
>in order to send to it!
>
>it is enough to make me consider subscribing to the censored list...
>
>it strikes me as strange that the internet engineers main discussion 
>list has been allowed to turn into the worst spam sewer on the net of 
>the 30 or so lists i subscribe to..... the trash and the garbage and 
>the maintainance of virus infected files is absurd!  haven't you all 
>enough!  or are all the rest of you subscribed to the censored list?
>
>
>
>
>>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>>Content-Disposition: message text
>>
>>Hi! How are you?
>>
>>I send you this file in order to have your advice
>>

Gordon -- this particular piece of mail is generated by a worm, not a 
person.  The nominal poster probably is subscribed to the IETF list,
and of course did not post it intentionally.  See, for example,
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email-masked]
for details.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb