Subject: Re: FW:delete ecard email

From: Ning Zhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:19:41 -0400

Ooops, I already opened it. I wonder what is going to happen to my machine.
Is machine going to send out the similar email to other people?

Ning

At 12:54 PM 10/25/2002 -0400, mickey newnam wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>If you get an ecard greeting from me DO NOT OPEN it.
>My computer seems to have been infected with some kind
>of worm.  Delete the email immediately.
>
>I'm sorry for the inconvience.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mickey

---

From: "mickey newnam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:54:34 -0400

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Mickey

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:39:55 -0500

> of worm.  Delete the email immediately.

Seems somebody chose mail software from a vendor that didn't read the
warning in RFC1341, section 7.4:

            The "application" Content-Type is to be used for data  which
            do  not fit in any of the other categories, and particularly
            for data to be processed by mail-based uses  of  application
            programs.  This is information which must be processed by an
            application before it is  viewable  or  usable  to  a  user.
            Expected  uses  for  Content-Type  application include mail-
            based  file  transfer,  spreadsheets,  data  for  mail-based
            scheduling    systems,    and    languages    for   "active"
            (computational) email.  (The latter, in particular, can pose
            security    problems   which   should   be   understood   by
            implementors, and are considered in detail in the discussion
            of the application/PostScript content-type.)

> I'm sorry for the inconvience.

Happens all the time.  Complain to your vendor.

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech