Subject: DHCP query/reply using IP directed-broadcast address

From: "Ramkumar Sankar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 17:54:54 GMT

hi,
is there any server implementation that replies to client requests using the
'subnet directed-broadcast' rather than the limited ip broadcast (i.e all
1s)?  i believe linux and unix implementation do the latter, but the RFC
does not preclude sending the former..

besides DHCP, are there any other protocols that use this subnet
directed-broadcast address while sending out IP packets?

appreciate any inputs on this.

thanks,
-ramkumar

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:27:35 -0700

Ramkumar Sankar wrote:
> 1s)? ...

What would be the utility in doing so, e.g., given the fact that they're
no more likely to traverse a router than all-1's (see rfc2644)?

Joe

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:37:31 +0200

> directed-broadcast address while sending out IP packets?

SMB, the Microsoft-derived filesharing protocol, can be (mis)configured to 
use subnet-directed broadcasts in order to announce the presence of a 
server on multiple subnets.

that's the only usage I know of.