Subject: FC: FDA permits use of implantable ID chips in humans (fwd)

From: Joe Baptista <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:12:17 -0400 (EDT)

inventory time - will those chips be ipv6 enabled?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:25:11 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FC: FDA permits use of implantable ID chips in humans

[There are two obvious questions: Should federal bureaucrats forcibly
prevent a company from selling implantable chips of this sort? And would it
be desirable for society to adopt these chips? I think the answer to the
first is "no," and the answer to the second is also "no." I would not stop
by government force or intervention people from using such implants, but it
is reasonable to be concerned about what might happen with widescale
adoption and speak out against it. Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03135.html  --Declan]

---

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:10:45 -0400
From: Bob <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ID Chip's Controversial Approval
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I find this very disturbing.  Another example of how difficult it is to
deal with the exponential effects of technology on our linear political
sensibilities.

Bob Adams
<http://www.globaldevelopment.org>http://www.globaldevelopment.org

The full story can be found at
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,55952,00.html>http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,55952,00.html

Wired magazine
02:00 AM Oct. 23, 2002 PDT

A surprise decision by the Food and Drug Administration permits the use of
implantable ID chips in humans, despite an FDA investigator's recent public
reservations about the devices.

The FDA sent chip manufacturer Applied Digital Solutions a letter stating
that the agency would not regulate the VeriChip if it
was used for "security, financial and personal identification or safety
applications," ADS said Tuesday.

But the FDA has not determined whether the controversial chip can be used
for medical purposes, including linking to medical
databases, the company added...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
POLITECH -- Declan McCullagh's politics and technology mailing list
You may redistribute this message freely if you include this notice.
To subscribe to Politech: http://www.politechbot.com/info/subscribe.html
This message is archived at http://www.politechbot.com/
Declan McCullagh's photographs are at http://www.mccullagh.org/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like Politech? Make a donation here: http://www.politechbot.com/donate/
Recent CNET News.com articles: http://news.search.com/search?q=declan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------