Subject: RFC 871

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 02:17:14 -0400

Well I've read RFC 871 like some have wanted me too.
I haven't seen what I'm supposed to see, can someone explain to me what is
it's purpose in the TCP/IP discussion? I've noticed they've confused axioms
which are taken to be true as a ground work for something with Euclidean
postulates, which are truths to be self evident. No Euclidean postulate has
ever been proven by another. Geometrically or otherwise.

    I've been focusing on RFC's 793,1122,1123 and looking at 1661 and 3340.
Slight changing in terminology meaning.
    - To those who care...

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:24:00 +0100 (BST)

> ever been proven by another. Geometrically or otherwise.

Think of the OSI layering model as something like the Euclidean
parallel postulate.

It doesn't have to be that way, but it's widely accepted that it
is, and few really appreciate the ramifications of the spectrum of
alternatives (qv hyperbolic and spherical geometries, manifolds etc.).

L.

layering is a spectrum from blue on the wire to red at the
application. tunnelling is frequency-shifting.
Fill the whole world with a rainbow.

> Slight changing in terminology meaning.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:29:02 -0400

Bill Cunningham wrote:

>I've noticed they've confused axioms
>postulates, which are truths to be self evident.
>  
>
(a) You have that backwards.  Euclid had axioms, which were taken as 
self-evident (e.g., "things equal to the same thing are equal to each 
other") and postulates, which were taken as the basis of geometry (e.g., 
"all right angles are equal").

(b) Modern mathematicians do not differentiate between axioms and 
postulates, because nothing is self-evident.  "Things equal to the same 
thing are equal to each other" is not a statement of absolute truth, 
it's a property of the equality relation you choose to use.

-- 
/===============================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                      |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centivinc.com                    |
|Centiv            |My opinions are my own.                     |
|===============================================================|
|If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well *dance*!|
\===============================================================/