Subject: Bill Cunningham

From: TOMSON ERIC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:37:08 +0200

Bill,

It's not the first time I notice that your messages on the IETF discussion list are either not relevant for everybody, or not interesting for everybody, or not related to IETF topics (I've just reviewed all your messages from the first one, dated 17 Oct 2001).

I mean, asking *basic* questions while you could find answers with simple web searches, and while a [more than] basic knowledge is (should be?) a pre-requisite to be part of an INTERNET ENGINEERING Task Force discussion, and so exposing your lack of some basic knowledge, is not - IMHO - a respectful attitude vis-à-vis all other contributors.

I also mean, starting strange debates (like about OSI), exchanging private mails through this public list, giving your personal feeling and interpretation about some topics, talking about proprietary products, etc. is not only off-topic : it's simply sterile. Once again, while the majority of people here work (more or less) on the technical improvement of IETF-related stuff - or simply exchange and confront ideas - this sounds like a lack of respect for the other contributors.

I finally mean, this is neither an FAQ distribution list where people can ask any possible basic question to some IETF guru's who like spending (wasting?) their time repeating the same answers to the same questions, nor a newsgroup where anybody can expose his own private opinions about any possible matter more or less related to the Internet or data communication in general.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion (though I know it's similar to others') and therefore I have to apologize. I must admit that I am close to consider you as a simple abusing consumer whose contributions on this list do not bring any added value. Basically, a troll.

I would be very pleased to notice in your next contributions that I am completely wrong.

E.T.

P.S.: I still believe that THE INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE.

---

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:44:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "TOMSON ERIC" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Bill Cunningham'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 9:37 AM
Subject: Bill Cunningham

> Bill,
>
> It's not the first time I notice that your messages on the IETF discussion
list are either not relevant for everybody, or not interesting for
everybody, or not related to IETF topics (I've just reviewed all your
messages from the first one, dated 17 Oct 2001).
>
> I mean, asking *basic* questions while you could find answers with simple
web searches, and while a [more than] basic knowledge is (should be?) a
pre-requisite to be part of an INTERNET ENGINEERING Task Force discussion,
and so exposing your lack of some basic knowledge, is not - IMHO - a
respectful attitude vis-à-vis all other contributors.
>
> I also mean, starting strange debates (like about OSI), exchanging private
mails through this public list, giving your personal feeling and
interpretation about some topics, talking about proprietary products, etc.
is not only off-topic : it's simply sterile. Once again, while the majority
of people here work (more or less) on the technical improvement of
IETF-related stuff - or simply exchange and confront ideas - this sounds
like a lack of respect for the other contributors.
>
> I finally mean, this is neither an FAQ distribution list where people can
ask any possible basic question to some IETF guru's who like spending
(wasting?) their time repeating the same answers to the same questions, nor
a newsgroup where anybody can expose his own private opinions about any
possible matter more or less related to the Internet or data communication
in general.
>
> Of course, this is only my personal opinion (though I know it's similar to
others') and therefore I have to apologize. I must admit that I am close to
consider you as a simple abusing consumer whose contributions on this list
do not bring any added value. Basically, a troll.
> P.S.: I still believe that THE INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE.

I was unaware of RFC 3005. I'm glad it was pointed out to me.

****
> Inappropriate postings include:

    - Unsolicited bulk e-mail
    - Discussion of subjects unrelated to IETF policy, meetings,
      activities, or technical concerns
    - Unprofessional commentary, regardless of the general subject
    - Announcements of conferences, events, or activities that are not
      sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

****
Is this the part of RFC 3005 I need to follow?