Subject: Dislike your Spam for breakfast?

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:12:36 -0500

Seems like there is a sort of mail loop or some nasty business on this list.
I like my ideas enough to hope to see them repeated here: once. If you get
an extra serving. Sorry. its not me doing it.

============

Well, if you *never* pay a ransom, you *never* give to a panhandler and you
*never* bite at the *FREE for you click here* you attenuate the activity
(hostage taking, begging and spam) to non-existence. The problem is on rare
ocassion, the unsolicited thing is compelling enough so people respond, and
of course, this validates it as an activity if it is ultimately a legitimate
transaction. As you know, all unsolicted advertising by EMail with a single
california target is supposed to begin with a subject line "ADV:"

http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

  (g) In the case of e-mail that consists of unsolicited advertising
material for the lease, sale, rental, gift offer, or other disposition of
any realty, goods, services, or extension of credit, the subject line of
each and every message shall include "ADV:" as the first four characters. If
these messages contain information that consists of unsolicited advertising
material for the lease, sale, rental, gift offer, or other disposition of
any realty, goods, services, or extension of credit, that may only be
viewed, purchased, rented, leased, or held in possession by an individual 18
years of age and older, the subject line of each and every message shall
include "ADV:ADLT" as the first eight characters.

So, all you need is one more law; (sorry, just one, or amend this one) that
anything you get without that filerable warning, you keep for free. Order it
with a credit card; (preferrably a cancelled one). Send them a perfectly bad
check. Break into their building and TAKE it; (Well, if they posted it was
free for the taking and they don't send it to you). Promise to take the vice
president of the bank of Nigeria to a big dinner, whatever. Keep, eat, wear
or smoke what you get. Then cite the law to protect you, and if your feeling
meaner, look over transaction for a bonus charge like Libel.

The paper world of mail enclosures has endured this basically and they still
fill my porch and mailbox pretty good. Without that recourse, I'd have to
use a fork lift, I guess.

By seriously I like crypto and use it a lot. I think this is the rare case
of a technology driven problem, which is only a minor problem, but still,
has no clear technocrat fix.

Yup
Dan