Subject: Re: Obsolete it, when you cannot reform it? (Was: Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You))

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:01:47 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Marc Schneiders writes:

>
>Which would have the same result as what you predict for a few hundred
>extra TLDs. The solution to the whole problem is of course to replace
>DNS by something better. I've heard more than a few times in the past,
>that it will be replaced by other functions/schemes/directories. Not
>that I am aware of any that seems to qualify for all the functions so
>far. Still, it would be quite on topic, if I may say so, to discuss
>what we should develop to do a better job. Obsolete it, if you cannot
>reform it?
>
>
I think that a requirements document for that would be entirely in 
order.  I suspect that no one system will be able to fulfill all 
requirements.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)