Subject: Re: A follow up question

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:25:05 -0400

Keith,

One more observation at the intersection between my earlier note 
to you and the one to Tony...

In the presence of an adequate abstraction model, an application 
should not care whether a given host has one address or a dozen, 
nor about whether such addresses were equivalent or different, 
nor about whether they represent physically separate interfaces. 
Indeed, one might suggest that the level of opacity that lack of 
application-visible differentiation implies would be a useful 
test for an adequate abstraction.

    john

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:22:28 -0400

> nor about whether they represent physically separate interfaces. 

there are lots of assumptions behind this about what an "address" is,
how it gets used, when and where the address-to-host binding takes place
and whether it can change, etc.  that are sufficiently different than
the current IP world that I can't tell what you are assuming.