Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iesg-charter-02.txt (fwd)

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:47:08 +0200

Another version is ready for your comments and criticisms.

Important changes based on the discussion:

- Clarified liaison positions on IESG
- Added a lot more words on IESG decision procedures
- Added another discussion about privacy of IESG conversations (as opposed 
to IESG decisions, which are public)
- Added an acknowledgements section (woefully incomplete, as usual)
- Added an "intended status" para saying that this goes for Info, not BCP
- Added a description of "responsible AD" for documents in general
  (this is borderline to "procedure", but got mentioned many times)
- Lots of small wording changes.

Important non-changes:

- Did not add a change log..... sorry... if someone wants to review the 500 
lines of diff of the XML, I can send that....

as usual, discussion of details on the poised mailing list; if you want to 
discuss issues that have wider policy implications, it's possible to use 
the ietf list for a wider audience.

Have fun!

                  Harald

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: torsdag, april 10, 2003 07:53:39 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iesg-charter-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the Internet Engineering Steering
Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An IESG charter
	Author(s)	: H. Alvestrand
	Filename	: draft-iesg-charter-02.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2003-4-9
	
This memo gives a charter for the Internet Engineering Steering Group
(IESG), a management function of the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF).
It is meant to document the charter of the IESG as presently
understood.
Discussion of this memo is encouraged on the POISED mailing list
<[email-masked]>
STATUS NOTE (to be removed from RFC):
This document is intended for publication as an Informational
document, detailing the instructions to the IESG that the IESG thinks
it has been operating under.  It does not claim to represent
consensus of the IETF that this is the right set of instructions to
the IESG.  At this time (spring 2003), the structure of the IETF is
undergoing reevaluation, and the result is likely to include changes
to the IESG's role; spending time to get IETF consensus that this
document represents the IETF consensus on what the IESG should do,
which a BCP publication would indicate, seems like a less than useful
exercise.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-charter-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-iesg-charter-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-iesg-charter-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iesg-charter-02.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:53:39 -0400
List-Id: <iesg.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Engineering Steering Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An IESG charter
	Author(s)	: H. Alvestrand
	Filename	: draft-iesg-charter-02.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2003-4-9
	
This memo gives a charter for the Internet Engineering Steering Group
(IESG), a management function of the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF).
It is meant to document the charter of the IESG as presently
understood.
Discussion of this memo is encouraged on the POISED mailing list
<[email-masked]>
STATUS NOTE (to be removed from RFC):
This document is intended for publication as an Informational
document, detailing the instructions to the IESG that the IESG thinks
it has been operating under.  It does not claim to represent
consensus of the IETF that this is the right set of instructions to
the IESG.  At this time (spring 2003), the structure of the IETF is
undergoing reevaluation, and the result is likely to include changes
to the IESG's role; spending time to get IETF consensus that this
document represents the IETF consensus on what the IESG should do,
which a BCP publication would indicate, seems like a less than useful
exercise.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-charter-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-iesg-charter-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-iesg-charter-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.