Subject: Seeking feedback on I-D discussing "public policy considerations"

From: John Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:54:24 -0400

As some of you may have noticed, last week we submitted an 
Internet-Draft entitled "Public Policy Considerations for Internet 
Design Decisions."  The abstract and link are below.

The draft uses the same basic approach as was used by the IAB in RFC 
3426 on "General Architectural and Policy Considerations" -- our 
draft suggests questions relating to public policy concerns that 
should be considered in working on protocols, without suggesting that 
any particular answer or result should flow from the questions.  The 
draft also advances an argument about why the IETF should try to be 
aware of public policy issues in the first place.

This draft is very much a "work in progress," and we welcome input, 
suggestions, criticism, etc.  In particular, the draft would benefit 
from additional concrete examples of public policy issues that have 
cropped up in the past.

Send feedback to [email-masked] (or for the moment to the ietf list 
if it is a broader comment).  If there is enough feedback and 
interest, we could set up a separate mailing list to discuss the 
draft.  John also would be interested in getting together for a "bar 
bof" in Vienna with anyone interested in commenting on or 
contributing to the draft -- e-mail if interested.
Thanks for looking at this draft.

John Morris & Alan Davidson

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>	Title		: Public Policy Considerations for Internet Design
>                           Decisions
>	Author(s)	: J. Morris, A. Davidson
>	Filename	: draft-morris-policy-considerations-00.txt
>	Pages		: 21
>	Date		: 2003-6-24
>
>This document suggests public policy questions that the IETF should
>consider and possibly address when developing new standards and
>protocols, and modifying or enhancing old standards and protocols. 
>This document contains questions to be considered, as opposed to
>guidelines or rules that should in all cases be followed.  This first
>draft provides a framework for identifying and discussing questions
>of public policy concern, and invites members of the IETF community
>to contribute to the questions and discussions raised here.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morris-policy-considerations-00.txt
>