Subject: Re: SIRs

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:17:21 -0700 (PDT)

*> 
  *> Create a document-based thread rather than a WG-based or 
  *> mailing-list-based thread. Patches could also be posted and revision 
  *> history (changes between revisions) would be easier to keep track of. 
  *> People who have negative comments could post them, and they'd be part 
  *> of the history record of the draft even if their comments are 
  *> ignored/rejected.
  *> 
  *> simon
  *> 
  *> 

I really wonder whether people have thought through the can of
worms (Pandora's box) that you people may be opening...?  This is not
to deny the need to improve the quality of some I-Ds and RFCs,
goodness knows, but be careful of social consequences...

Bob Braden

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

% 
%   *> 
%   *> Create a document-based thread rather than a WG-based or 
%   *> mailing-list-based thread. Patches could also be posted and revision 
%   *> history (changes between revisions) would be easier to keep track of. 
%   *> People who have negative comments could post them, and they'd be part 
%   *> of the history record of the draft even if their comments are 
%   *> ignored/rejected.
%   *> 
%   *> simon
%   *> 
%   *> 
% 
% I really wonder whether people have thought through the can of
% worms (Pandora's box) that you people may be opening...?  This is not
% to deny the need to improve the quality of some I-Ds and RFCs,
% goodness knows, but be careful of social consequences...
% 
% Bob Braden
% 

amen.
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200306/msg00096.html

--bill
Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

---

From: S Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:45:00 -0400

> goodness knows, but be careful of social consequences...

I've observed several bug-database oriented cultures, including the 
public mozilla bugzilla database. One interesting observation of 
bugzilla is that they do not permit referral from slashdot ... most 
obviously that would be to avoid the /. effect, but also, to avoid the 
kind of spamming effect that could occur if some influential person 
says "this thing at url XYZ is evil, go post a negative comment on it".

There is no reason otherwise, that the bugtracker would engender a 
reduced quality of discourse about an I-D. Since, the technical level 
of sophistication to read and understand an I-D would still be there, 
and the sophistication to post a message on a website is just as high 
as posting on a mailing list (and see the bugzilla page, they do make 
it difficult enough). Whereas, it would greatly help the situation 
where I read an I-D and think -- but wait, what about foo, they seem to 
have missed that -- and jump to the bugtracker and can easily find that 
the issue has already been raised and see if/what justifications are.

simon

---

From: grenville armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:23:29 +1000

S Woodside wrote:
	[..]
> reduced quality of discourse about an I-D.

I'd be afraid of encouraging a new "toss the complaint
over the wall into the bugtracker, don't bother engaging the
WG to discuss/refine my proposed solution/edit" style of
interaction with I-D authors. No?

cheers,
gja