Subject: Re: The IETF_Censored mailing list

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

Please do not return bounce messages, when you filter. (as you have been
doing.)

Those using such a list, should note that they are filtering based on
nothing other than ad hominem, personal attacks. This filter (like many
blacklists) has nothing whatsoever to do with the stated purpose of the
censored list, 'to filter debates that have nothing to do with the
purposes of the IETF'.

It should also be noted that those receiving thie limited IETF
information, like those receiving censored news, have very little to
contribute since they don't know the whole story.

		--Dean

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Tim Chown wrote:

> How timely...
>
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 03:03:01AM +0200, Super-User wrote:
> >
> >                         The IETF_Censored mailing list
> >
> >    At times, the IETF list is subject to debates that have little to do
> >    with the purposes for which the IETF list was created. Some people
> >    would appreciate a "quieter" forum for the relevant debates that take
> >    place, but the IETF's policy of openness has so far prevented the IETF
> >    from imposing any censorship policy on the [email-masked] list.
> >
> >    To give people an alternative, there is a list called
> >    "[email-masked]".
> >
> >    This list is a sublist (that is, it gets the same messages as) the
> >    open IETF discussion list. However, this list will not forward all
> >    messages; in particular, the filters have been set so that persons and
> >    discussions that are, in the view of Raffaele D'Albenzio, irrelevant
> >    to the IETF list are not forwarded.
> >
> >    Because this filter is automated, the criteria include:
> >      * Well known troublemakers
> >      * Well known crosspostings
> >      * Subjects that have led to recent non-conclusive exchanges
> >      * Some ways to say "unsubscribe"
> >      * Some "out-of-office-reply" messages
> >
> >    To join the list, send the word "subscribe" in the BODY of a message
> >    to [email-masked] (the URL here is an RFC
> >    2368 mailto URL that does the Right Thing).
> >
> >    To unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" in the BODY of a message
> >    to [email-masked]. Do not send to the list
> >    - your message will be filtered!
> >    (members of the main IETF list itself must follow instructions for
> >    that list, of course. You are only a member of ietf_censored if there
> >    is a comment on the bottom of your IETF list mail saying that the
> >    message has been sent through the ietf_censored list.)
> >
> >    For fun, there is a special list for the rejected messages:
> >    [email-masked] - subscribe in the same
> >    fashion, by mail to [email-masked]
> >
> >    By public request, the current set of filters are listed at
> >    http://vesuvio.ipv6.tilab.com/cgi-bin/ietf_censored-filters
> >
> >    This page is http://carmen.ipv6.cselt.it/ietf_censored.html, and is
> >    posted monthly in text form to [email-masked]
> >      _________________________________________________________________
> >
> >    Raffaele D'Albenzio < [email-masked]>
>
>

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 14:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

> contribute since they don't know the whole story.

Hmmmm, if the ietf censored list is so bad for my education, how is it
that I see your post? Since the spam topic started a week or so ago, I
have not observed a single response post for which I didn't receive the
original.

Perhaps you haven't actually monitored what is being censored?

Dave Morris

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:45:28 -0700 (PDT)

> have not observed a single response post for which I didn't

Ditto, no matter how much I wish that was NOT the case...

Spencer

("Yes, there is an IETF Censored list. The market for an IETF
On-topic list is still wide-open.")

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 10:06:33 +0100 (BST)

> How timely...

The unsubscribe instructions given below are incomplete. (Still
working on finding the correct ones.)

And you'll still get to listen to Atkielski and Anderson.

L.

> _______________________________________________
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed. Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.
>

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>