Subject: Re: requiring payment (was spam)

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:49:17 -0400

At 3:10 PM -0700 5/30/03, Einar Stefferud wrote:
>Pity the poor Zealot; who, when he loses sight of his objective,
>simply redoubles his efforts.
>
>For sure, do not let any new ideas leak into the IETF!
>
>Cheers...\Stef
>
>

Pity the poor fellow who ventures outside his realm of knowledge and 
then recommends dreck. New ideas ought not be confused with sound 
ideas. Those with no background in an area are easily impressed by 
the new, without benefit of the wisdom that comes from familiarity 
with knowledge of the old.

We can continue this repartee as long as you wish. I do have a day 
job, but debating with you represents such a slight diversion of 
effort ...

Steve

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 18:24:37 -0700

Can we please move along?  Does anyone care to start a mailing list for 
technical proposals?  If not, perhaps all of these debates are a waste 
of bandwidth?!

Eliot

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:30:09 -0700

SK> We can continue this repartee as long as you wish. I do have a day

except that the exchange adds to already-problematic denial of service
attack on the list, by virtue of increasing the noise but not the
signal.

at the least, please take it offline.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>, <fax:+1.866.358.5301>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 22:39:42 -0400

> technical proposals?  If not, perhaps all of these debates are a waste 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 06:47:53 +0200

You always have the delete key.

---

From: "Tomson Eric \(Yahoo.fr\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:56:44 +0200

The delete key is a workaround, not a solution.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Anthony
Atkielski

---

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:40:56 +0200

> The delete key is a workaround, not a solution.

No, it is a solution.  I believe I've already explained how unreasonable it
is to expect the entire world to censor itself to match your preferences.
It's much more practical to simply ignore or delete what you don't want to
see.  Additionally, the latter solution does not impose your standards upon
anyone else.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:17:19 -0400

> Does anyone care to start a mailing list for 
> technical proposals?

the ASRG list already exists and is suitable for this purpose, and many
technical proposals have already been floated there.  what we're
doing here is educating people who can't be bothered to join that list.

and I agree we've done enough of it here.