Subject: Re: US Defense Department formally adopts IPv6

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:04:19 -0400

> From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>

    > Didn't the DoD officially adopt Ada about 20 years ago?

I do seem to recall that it was around the time that they "mandated" CLNP/TP
(instead of TCP/IP).

	Noel

---

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:29:20 -0700

> > (The questions and answers about "IPv5" are sort of funny.)
> 
> Quite whatever happened to that?

It is funny that the DoD wouldn't know, since they actually deployed it.
The code point 5 was used to differentiate packets belonging to the
"stream" service parallel to IP, ST-II (RFC 1190). It was used to carry
video conferences services. I remember taking part to one such
conference in a DARPA locale.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:33:00 -0400

That is correct - eventually we concluded that IPv5 (which was an experiment)
was a dead end for purposes of carrying real-time, quasi-synchronous traffic.
It was somewhat complex and as I recall was thought not to scale well.

vint

>conference in a DARPA locale.

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology
MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115
Ashburn, VA 20147
703 886 1690 (v806 1690)
703 886 0047 fax
[email-masked]
www.mci.com/cerfsup