Subject: discussion redirect

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 19:32:47 -0500

I've setup a temporary mailing list to handle discussion of an alternate
mail transfer system, which I expect will get replaced by a real list
eventually, assuming that interest continues to progress. To subscribe to
that list, send an email message to [email-masked]

I've also put together a basic outline proposal that shows what I'd like
to see in such a service. http://www.ehsco.com/misc/mt2/ has that proposal
(if it doesn't display right, you can download the original powerpoint
slides from http://www.ehsco.com/misc/mt2/MT2-00.ppt). I know that Keith
was scratching some ideas together for reusing SMTP and I'll post that if
he wants. Anybody that has any other proposals, let me know and I'll post
those too. We can discuss any or all of those on the mailing list. We
should probably move out of here anyway, before we get evicted.

Thanks

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:04:07 -0400

> I've setup a temporary mailing list to handle discussion of an
> alternate mail transfer system, which I expect will get replaced by a
> real list eventually, assuming that interest continues to progress. To
> subscribe to that list, send an email message to
> [email-masked]
> 
> I've also put together a basic outline proposal that shows what I'd
> like to see in such a service. http://www.ehsco.com/misc/mt2/ has that
> proposal(if it doesn't display right, you can download the original
> powerpoint slides from http://www.ehsco.com/misc/mt2/MT2-00.ppt). I
> know that Keith was scratching some ideas together for reusing SMTP
> and I'll post that if he wants.

I'm not going to join this list, because (a) it's almost certain to be
populated by naive crackpots, (b) we already have a perfectly good
public list to discuss solutions to the spam problem in ASRG, and (c)
I'm convinced that trying to solve the spam problem by re-inventing SMTP
is at best a useless distraction, and at worst a distraction that will
prevent real solutions from emerging.

Of course if the list distracts all of the crackpots, *that* might be
useful.