Subject: AdminRest: BCP editing team and timeline

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:04:31 -0500

Follow-up from plenary:

The next step in the AdminRest process is to get a revised version of the 
IASA-defining BCP document (currently draft-wasserman-iasa-bcp-01) 
published, based on current input.

The editing team for this effort is Bert Wijnen and Rob Austein; for nits 
and non-substantive suggestions, you can send suggestions directly to them. 
For substantive issues and changes, please send them to the IETF list.

                  Harald Alvestrand

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:24:17 -0800 (PST)

> For substantive issues and changes, please send them to the IETF list.

timeline related request -

Can someone (Harald? Leslie?) please post a timeline (with target
dates) for all proposed activity related to admin restructuring between
now and the spring meeting?

Also, see below for a suggested changes for the  "four major elements"
in draft-wasserman-adminrest-plan-01.txt Sec. 3 (Transition Plan Overview)
with a shift grom parallel to serial deployment of some elements.

1] Finalizing the BCP text and getting it approved by the IETF community
   and ISOC.
2] Selecting an IASA transition team, to work on the transition to the
   IASA/IAOC structure as soon as is practically possible.
3] Selecting IASA leadership. This includes appointing the IAOC.
4] Determining the structure and work flow of the IASA, deciding which
   portions of the IASA should be staffed via an open request for
   proposals (RFP)  process and issuing a RFP for those portions. It may
   also include establishing the criteria for sole source contracts or
   MOUs for other portions of the IASA.
5.] Determining the position requirements and terms of employment for the
    IAD, with community input.
6.] Recruiting and hiring the IAD.
7.] Negotiating agreements with service providers.

I don't think we should hire someone before "Determining the structure and
work flow of the IASA". Being the single paid employee in an all volunteer
organization will be tough enough - we need to be very clear about what
we need/expect before we hire.

Lucy E. Lynch 				Academic User Services
Computing Center			University of Oregon
llynch  @darkwing.uoregon.edu		(541) 346-1774/Cell: 912-7998

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:33:23 -0500

--On 12. november 2004 06:24 -0800 "Lucy E. Lynch" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> and non-substantive suggestions, you can send suggestions directly to
>> them. For substantive issues and changes, please send them to the IETF
>> list.
>

We will do that - as dates are modified and slip, we'll keep the stuff on 
the web page updated as best we can, and post on the IETF list for 
significant changes. Maybe on the plane home....?

> we need/expect before we hire.

This seems to make sense to me, but I'm not sure how to modify the timeline 
in section 5 to reflect what you suggest.... there are a couple of 
arguments going around:

- We need to finish the process reasonably expediently
- If we hire someone who is good at managing contracts, that person needs 
to be part of the negotiation of those contracts. This means "don't expect 
to sign contracts before <amount of time X> after the IAD gets hired".
- Don't sign contracts before you have the oversight body established. This 
means "don't hire the IAD before the BCP is approved and IAOC is seated".

I think my conclusion is that the right place for determining the role and 
responsibilities of the IAD needs to be done by the transition team 
(Nov-Feb or thereabouts), and that the conclusions are reconfirmed by the 
IAOC before they actually hire the IAD. The rate of change in the BCP draft 
doesn't seem to be enormous now.

There could be some overlap in time between "recruiting" and "defining 
requirments", but not too much, I think - definitely need requirements 
before we start to drill down on specific names.

Does that make sense to you?

                            Harald

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:29:26 -0500

At 10:33 AM -0500 11/12/04, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>I think my conclusion is that the right place for determining the 
>role and responsibilities of the IAD needs to be done by the 
>transition team (Nov-Feb or thereabouts), and that the conclusions 
>are reconfirmed by the IAOC before they actually hire the IAD. The 
>rate of change in the BCP draft doesn't seem to be enormous now.

I also think that this is correct...

There has been some push to refine the IAD job description in the 
BCP. I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and I think a better 
idea might be to reduce the amount of text in the BCP regarding the 
role and responsibilities of the IAD and to allow the IAOC to 
determine the appropriate role and responsibilities of the IAD as 
part of their activity to determine the structure of the IASA 
activity.

Margaret

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:11:40 -0500

At 10:01 PM +0100 11/12/04, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>That might be logical, but as the IAOC will not exist for some time,
>and we want to make rapid progress, I think the IAD job description
>does need to be drafted soon. However, I think there is a good argument
>for splitting it out from the BCP.

Good catch, By IAOC, I really meant transition team => IAOC.   There 
is some hope that we can spin up the transition team quite quickly, 
and I think that they should figure out the IAD job description as 
part of planning he structure of the IASA activity (one of their 
primary tasks).

Margaret

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:01:52 +0100

Margaret Wasserman wrote:
>> I think my conclusion is that the right place for determining the role 
>> and responsibilities of the IAD needs to be done by the transition 
>> team (Nov-Feb or thereabouts), and that the conclusions are 
>> reconfirmed by the IAOC before they actually hire the IAD. The rate of 
>> change in the BCP draft doesn't seem to be enormous now.
> 
> 
> There has been some push to refine the IAD job description in the BCP. 
> I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and I think a better idea 
> might be to reduce the amount of text in the BCP regarding the role and 
> responsibilities of the IAD and to allow the IAOC to determine the 
> appropriate role and responsibilities of the IAD as part of their 
> activity to determine the structure of the IASA activity.

    Brian