Subject: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:20:53 +1200

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to bring this information and any help would be most
appreciated.

I have noticed that yahoo mail is using SMTP  and not ESMTP. This is
quite an issue in bandwidth saving as now the size limit for mail on
yahoo is 10MB if I'm not mistaken. In many places in the world we limit
our e-mail size to 2MB or less. By having yahoo to use SMTP our servers
are obliged to receive the whole 10MB before the mailer can reply back
size too big.

This is also an issue that could be brought to the SMTP group, to know
if you can stop the Data stream to reply an error message, as you may
know from the beginning of the data stream you will not accept the
e-mail. For instance I also check the body early to see if it has not
any forbidden attachment. I think the moment the protocol states that
you have to wait for the .<CR><LF> in the DATA to reply back with an
error message?

Finally is it feasible to refuse mail from SMTP mailers only? What the
standards are saying?

Here are some packet capture. Gmail and hotmail follows ESMTP but yahoo
follows SMTP. 

220 cobalt.sopac.org.fj ESMTP Postfix.
EHLO mproxy.gmail.com.
250-cobalt.sopac.org.fj.
250-PIPELINING.
250-SIZE 1500000.
250-VRFY.
250-ETRN.
250 8BITMIME.

220 cobalt.sopac.org.fj ESMTP Postfix.
EHLO bay0-pcs1.bay0.hotmail.com.
250-cobalt.sopac.org.fj.
250-PIPELINING.
250-SIZE 1500000.
250-VRFY.
250-ETRN.
250 8BITMIME.
MAIL From:<[email-masked]> SIZE=946.

220 cobalt.sopac.org.fj ESMTP Postfix.
HELO web8407.mail.in.yahoo.com.
250 cobalt.sopac.org.fj.

Thanks all for helping us in the Pacific Islands to save our costly
bandwidth.

Cheers
Franck Martin
Vice-Chair PICISOC (Pacific Islands Chapter of the Internet Society)
www.picisoc.org
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:45:18 +0100

> So from the WSIS/WGIG perspective I am being asked: is spam a 
> significant (network) problem for certain parts of the world? 
> Maybe more importantly: will it still be so in UN timescales?

Yes it is a major problem. e.g., see
http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/spam/contributions/Developing%20countries_contribution.pdf

Other presentations, contributions at
http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/spam/background.html

--RS