Subject: Re: The gaps that NAT is filling

From: "John Loughney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:25:41 +0200

Margaret,

> These users care about ease of deployment, 
> cost and avoiding unscheduled outages (whether due to security issues 
> or ISP changes)

Don't know about you, but if ever I have connectivity problems, the fiirst thing my provider wants me to do is power cycle the home gateway / router / NAT. All of that NAT state doesn't get cleared. Tihngs are only getting worse. Long live the e2e principle.

John

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:04:05 +0100

> > The average Internet user (home user or enterprise administrator)
> > does not care about the end-to-end principle or the architectural
> > purity of the Internet.
> 
> Maybe not the average user, but a pretty large subset *does* 
> care - because  t makes it extremely hard to do what they want...

Yes!

I think it we should not underestimate the potential demands from
and desires of "average users". An average user is not my mom, and
maybe not even those of "our" generation. I think an "average user",
of those who really wants any kind of Internet access, actually can
be found among the younger generations, who consider the Internet and
all today's technologies natural parts of daily life. Even if they
do not care about the e2e principle, they do care about the potential
for doing any kinds of peer2peer communication, as they want to play
their networking games, they want to share information, they want to
try things, experiment, and be independent of what outsiders provide
or want to allow (like access providers). Not all home users are
demanding, some just want to surf the web, but in most households
there is at least one more demanding user, and that user will be the
one setting the access requirements of the household.

/L-E