Subject: IETF-61 BOF Announcement: IDNPROV

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 07:45:30 -0500

This BOF is yet to appear on the formal agenda for IETF-61.  FYI in advance
of the agenda being made available.

-Scott-
----------

BOF Chairs:
Howard Eland <[email-masked]>
Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>

BOF Description:

IDN-over-EPP

As the global DNS applications and Top-Level Domain (TLD) registries begin
to adopt the IDNA (Internationalized Domain Names in Applications) standards
the registration of IDNs (Internationalized Domain Names) at shared registry
systems becomes an important element of operational functionality for domain
registries.

Furthering the discussion from the PROVREG group, describing the "desire to
allow a registrar to access multiple registries via the same protocol, even
if the registries differ in operational models", there is interest for the
same to apply to the provisioning of IDNs.

Although the EPP RFCs have already provided extension guidelines, due to the
foreseeable frequency of IDN provisioning and the potential complexity for
registrars if different implementations are adopted by different registries,
it makes sense to try to establish standardized extensions for IDN
provisioning.

In general, there are two main approaches to incorporating IDN provisioning
elements to EPP: 1. Extensions to Domain Mapping; or 2. New IDN Object
Mapping.

The goal of this BOF is to see if there is enough interest from the
community to create a workgroup that would be chartered to create documents
on both:
1. Requirements of IDN provisioning
2. Standard Extensions for IDN-over-EPP

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf