Subject: RE: FW: [Inquiry #19085] Issue with Meeting Schedule change at the last moment

From: "Stephane H. Maes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:26:15 -0800

Harald,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Hopefully this can be better handled in the future. I would encourage formalizing better some deadlines for the agenda and finalizing it in terms of the slots.

Thanks

Stephane

_____
Stephane H. Maes, PhD,
Director of Architecture - Mobile, Oracle Corporation.
Ph: +1-203-300-7786 (mobile/SMS); Fax: +1-650-506-7222; Office UM: +1-650-607-6296.
e-mail: [email-masked]
IM: shmaes (AIM) or [email-masked] (MSN Messenger)

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 8:12 AM
To: Stephane H. Maes; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: FW: [Inquiry #19085] Issue with Meeting Schedule change at the last moment

Stephane,

having investigated the matter a little bit....

This scheduling was final rather late. This is unfortunate, and it's on the 
list of things that we hope we can improve for later IETFs. You're not the 
only one having trouble because of this.

But......

- The WG chair did not announce to the WG list that the meeting would be on 
Wednesday. In fact, the first announcement said "Monday and Wednesday". 
Late, but that was the first announcement.

- Late schedule changes are a fact of life in the IETF. When the WG 
discussion indicates the need for more time, the IETF will try to 
accomodate it. Sometimes this means late scheduling. Sorry.

- Having meetings where some proponents can't make it is a fact of life, 
unfortunately. Some don't have the budget at all, some have conflicts, some 
just can't come. That's why we point to the mailing list as final arbiter, 
and why we try to strongly encourage all arguments and counterarguments to 
appear on the mailing list. It's the place where everyone is, and everyone 
can see it.

- My one beef with the procedure followed here was that there were few 
updates to the mailing list during the scheduling process - saying how many 
slots were requested, that they had not been finalized, and that they had 
been requested for different days.
I hope that kind of info can be available sooner for later IETFs - in 
addition to getting the scheduling done earlier!

Summary: This meeting will not be cancelled.
Thank you for participating in the IETF!

                       Harald Alvestrand

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf