Subject: Last Call Comments: draft-ietf-simple-filter-format

From: "Scott Hollenbeck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:52:57 -0500

Last Call Comments: draft-ietf-simple-filter-format

I have asked the XML Directorate to review this document.  These comments
are my own.

The MIME type described in this document does not appear to have been
submitted to the ietf-types list for review.  That should happen before the
IESG evaluates this document.

The XML Schema includes several elements and attributes to allow extensions.
There needs to be some text in the document describing the extensibility
framework.

There also needs to be some text added to the document to address versioning
and/or what will need to be done in the future if the schema is changed and
namespace conflicts need to be avoided.

Section 4 appears to contain a small ABNF error, or at least something that
may require clarification.  The productions for "element" and "elem-path"
are defined like this:

expression = "[" (elem-expr / attr-expr)
             1*[oper (elem-expr / attr-expr)] "]"

elem-path = (element / "*") 1*["/" / "*" / element] ["*" / element]

My confusion is that a construct of the form [foo bar] describes optional
items.  "1*" means  that at least one instance is required.  So when the
spec says "1*[oper (elem-expr / attr-expr)]" and "1*["/" / "*" / element]",
is it saying that the items are optional, or that at least one is required?

Section 8.2 includes an XML instance that seems to be encapsulating
information about the namespace registration request.  As described in
section 3.2 of RFC 3688, there really is no XML representation of a
namespace identifier.  While section 4 of RFC 3688 includes a field to
register an XML instance, I don't believe that there's any XML to be
registered when the template is being used to register a namespace URI.

-Scott-

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf