Subject: RE: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:55:15 +0100

When I had a 14.4K modem *all* I did was e-mail.

Even with 56K surfing was not fun and the web was only consulted in case of
real need.<g>

But now...

So maybe it simply depends where you are on the curve.

I was in a spam workshop yesterday and a guy was saying that spam was a
bandwidth issue. I suppose it is if you are on the end of a slow link and
(therefore?) all you are doing is e-mail: a big chunk of everything you do
is always a lot. But it appears not so if you are on a fast connection where
e-mail traffic is low in the single digits.

So from the WSIS/WGIG perspective I am being asked: is spam a significant
(network) problem for certain parts of the world? Maybe more importantly:
will it still be so in UN timescales?

Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Franck Martin
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 12:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

This is interesting, because on our side of the world, when I do an 
analysis, I can see that mail is about 30% of the TCP traffic, with the 
web being about 40% of TCP traffic.

I guess we do not have the same needs over very slow links...

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Dave Aronson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:18:13 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

 > I was in a spam workshop yesterday and a guy was saying that spam was
 > a bandwidth issue. I suppose it is if you are on the end of a slow
 > link and (therefore?) all you are doing is e-mail: a big chunk of
 > everything you do is always a lot.

Being on dialup also affects the perception because the mail tends to 
build up into large chunks that you download while waiting (and waiting 
and waiting).  By contrast, with pretty much any kind of always-on link 
(even that slow), it trickles in, you get alerted when one arrives, and 
the total bandwidth of email is seen as a tiny fraction for most of us.  
(If you are being absolutely barraged with spam, literally in the 
millions per day, I suppose it might become a large fraction.)

 > So from the WSIS/WGIG perspective I am being asked: is spam a
 > significant (network) problem for certain parts of the world? Maybe
 > more importantly: will it still be so in UN timescales?

IMHO, it is not a *computer* bandwidth issue but a *human* bandwidth 
issue, something which does not increase anywhere near as quickly.  I 
can only read the subjects, let alone content, of so many emails a day.  
(For some people, there is also the "offense" issue.)

-Dave

-- 
David J. Aronson
Work: http://destined.to/program
Play: http://listen.to/davearonson