Subject: draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-02: section 3

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:16:19 -0500 (EST)

open from last version

> question - what is the backup mechanism for the IAD?  (if the IAD were
> to get truck fade for example)

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:42:18 +0100

I replied (Nov 22):

> Hire a new one.... no hot spare. I think IAOC has to be used for
> institutional memory in that case.

I think the complexity/cost of a hot spare solution is rather high. Don't 
know if you consider this answered and addressed, or there is language you 
want to suggest.

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:47:37 -0500 (EST)

add something like this to section 3

   The IASA consists initially of a single full-time ISOC employee, the
   IETF Administrative Director (IAD), an officer entitled to act on
   behalf of the IASA at the direction of the IAOC.  The IASA temporally
   may act as the IAD if there is no IAD or the IAD is unavailable. ...

Scott

-------
>From [email-masked]  Mon Dec 13 02:55:30 2004
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:42:18 +0100
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
To: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-02: section 3

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:32:42 -0500

>    may act as the IAD if there is no IAD or the IAD is unavailable. ...

s/The IASA temporarily/The IAOC temporarily  ?

Or perhaps you meant the IAOC chair?

Margaret

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:40:47 -0500 (EST)

> s/The IASA temporarily/The IAOC temporarily  ?

opps - too many random character strings  :-)

> Or perhaps you meant the IAOC chair?

I did not, but that would be fine - I just do not want to see an
inability to act

Scott

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:07:01 +0100

>    may act as the IAD if there is no IAD or the IAD is unavailable. ...

I'd perhaps suggest "the IASA may designate one of its members as an acting 
IAD if there is no IAD or the IAD is unavailable" - the IAD role is 
designed to be filled by a person, not a committee, and having a committee 
act in the role that it's overseeing conflates the levels.

But I can certainly see any single IAOC member being unwilling or unable to 
take on the task, so perhaps it's better to name the committee as a 
whole..... thoughts, folks?

                Harald

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:21:02 +0100

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> I'd perhaps suggest "the IASA may designate one of its members as an 
> acting IAD if there is no IAD or the IAD is unavailable" - the IAD role 
> is designed to be filled by a person, not a committee, and having a 
> committee act in the role that it's overseeing conflates the levels.
> 
> But I can certainly see any single IAOC member being unwilling or unable 
> to take on the task, so perhaps it's better to name the committee as a 

Committees generally do a lousy job as managers. How about "the IAOC may
temporarily assign the IAD's duties to individual members of the IAOC" ?

    Brian