Subject: RFC1269 - [was: RE: [newtrk] List of Old Standards to be retired]

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:58:10 +0100

W.r.t.
> > 
> >> RFC1269       Definitions of Managed Objects for the Border Gateway
> >>               Protocol: Version 3
> > 
> > 
> > Why would this be cruft?  The BGP4 MIB was just recently approved...
> 
> Good thing too.  Take a good look at 1269.  I don't think it would pass 
> a MIB compiler test today.  If you approved the BGP4-MIB, 
> ought not that have obsoleted this guy?
> > 

The new doc (in IESG evaluation status) is

  draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-15.txt

And its abstract says it all:

Abstract

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community
   In particular, it describes managed objects used for managing the
   Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 or lower.

   The origin of this memo is from RFC 1269 "Definitions of Managed
   Objects for the Border Gateway Protocol (Version 3)", which was
   updated to support BGP-4 in RFC 1657.  This memo fixes errors
   introduced when the MIB module was converted to use the SMIv2
   language. This memo also updates references to the current SNMP
   framework documents.

   This memo is intended to document deployed implementations of this
   MIB module in a historical context, provide clarifications of some
   items and also note errors where the MIB module fails to fully
   represent the BGP protocol.  Work is currently in progress to replace
   this MIB module with a new one representing the current state of the
   BGP protocol and its extensions.

   This document obsoletes RFC 1269 and RFC 1657.

   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.  Please forward comments to
   [email-masked].

So 1269 will soon be made OBSOLETED

I will look at other MIB related documents next week.

Bert

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:06:26 +0100

Bert,

I'll remove it from the list with the expectation that the new MIB will 
obsolete the old one.  However, I note that is currently not stated in 
the header of the draft.

Eliot

---

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:19:32 +0100

Eliot Lear writes:
> I'll remove it from the list with the expectation that the new MIB
> will obsolete the old one.  However, I note that is currently not
> stated in the header of the draft.

I think RFC1269 (BGP-3 MIB) can safely be dropped even today, because
nobody is using BGP-3 anymore, and as Bert pointed out, we already
have RFC1657 (BGP-4 MIB).  RFC1657 is what people use today.

By the way, draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-15.txt is a relatively minor
update to RFC 1657, and misses many "recent" additions to BGP-4 that
are widely used, such as support for multiple address families etc.

There was an attempt at writing a modernized BGP-4 MIB, but that seems
to have stalled (draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-05.txt is a tombstone).
Did I mention that writing MIBs is harder than it should be?
-- 
Simon.