Subject: Consensus? #746 Section 3.4 - IAOC decision making

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:32:10 +0100

Scott suggested that:

> I think it must be made clear that all IAOC decision making involves
> all IAOC members then in office - not just a subset that might show up
> at a meeting or on a phone call
>
> maybe add: "All IAOC decision making includes all IAOC members then in
> office."

My reading of the discussion is that there is no support for making such a 
requirement (too many corner cases with absent members), and that writing 
detailed rules on IAOC decision making into the BCP is a Bad Idea.

However, the idea of IAOC *having* such decision rules seems good.
Suggested resolution:

Add after the first section of 3.4:

  The IAOC decides further details about its decision-making rules.
  These rules will be made public.

OK?

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:13:36 +0100

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> My reading of the discussion is that there is no support for making such 
> a requirement (too many corner cases with absent members), and that 
> writing detailed rules on IAOC decision making into the BCP is a Bad Idea.
> 

I think this is appropriate as a starting point.

    Brian

P.S. I'm not commenting on most of Harald's suggested consensus
points; silence means consent.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:00:11 +0100

Just another thought on this. Perhaps there is a formulation
something like

IAOC decisions are taken by a majority of the non-conflicted IAOC
members who are available to vote in person, by teleconference, or
by email.

so that we avoid defining a specific quorum but do require
a majority of those who are not off in the woods.

    Brian

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> My reading of the discussion is that there is no support for making 
>> such a requirement (too many corner cases with absent members), and 
>> that writing detailed rules on IAOC decision making into the BCP is a 
>> Bad Idea.
>>

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:31:22 -0600

This works for me.

Spencer