Subject: Re: The gaps that NAT is filling

From: Mark Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 05:11:57 -0600

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:04:05 +0100, Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > The average Internet user (home user or enterprise administrator)
> > > does not care about the end-to-end principle or the architectural
> > > purity of the Internet.
> > 
> > Maybe not the average user, but a pretty large subset *does*
> > care - because  t makes it extremely hard to do what they want...
> 
> Yes!
> 
> I think it we should not underestimate the potential demands from
> and desires of "average users". An average user is not my mom, and
> maybe not even those of "our" generation. I think an "average user",
> of those who really wants any kind of Internet access, actually can
> be found among the younger generations, who consider the Internet and
> all today's technologies natural parts of daily life. Even if they
> do not care about the e2e principle, they do care about the potential
> for doing any kinds of peer2peer communication, as they want to play
> their networking games, they want to share information, they want to
> try things, experiment, and be independent of what outsiders provide
> or want to allow (like access providers). Not all home users are
> demanding, some just want to surf the web, but in most households
> there is at least one more demanding user, and that user will be the
> one setting the access requirements of the household.
> 
> /L-E
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
> 

Using BitTorrent and the growing popularity of VoIP comes to mind. (A
shame that Asterisk does not currently support IPv6 though.)

-- 
Mark A. Miller               
[email-masked]              
US +1 512 796 3592     
http://mirell.org
--------------------------------------------------------
Vice President and CFO of Linucon
http://linucon.org

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Mark Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:10:53 +0000

> shame that Asterisk does not currently support IPv6 though.)

Asterisk community is seeing some effort (particularly from someone 
quite familiar to the IETF: Marc Blanchet), and folk on the EU 6NET 
project are keen to get some testing done once progress is made.

It will come... and yes, Voice without NAT traversal solutions and true 
p2p filesharing will be grateful for v6's design.

There's also that little thing called the Web that is threatening to 
crawl out of the server-client pit. We're expecting to see much more on 
peer-based semantic services using Web application-layer protocols 
being reliant on ubiquitous Mobile IPv6 and end-to-end addressability.

Mark/

--
Electronics and Computer Science
a school of the University of Southampton, UK