Subject: Revised IAD hiring plan

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:39:29 -0500

The IASA Transition Team (TT) reviewed the comments on the
draft IAD job description, paying particular attention to the
thread about whether or not the IETF should take this to a
professional executive search firm.

In reviewing the experiences related by people on the IETF
mailing list, as well as our own collective experiences
with executive search efforts, we believe the cons of such
an approach outweigh the pros in this case.  Chiefly,
as has been noted on this list, the success of such a search
is largely dependent on having an employment opportunity that
fits well with existing portfolios, and a serious endeavour
takes months to set up and run properly.

We feel that the IETF needs to get the IAD on board as soon as possible,
and that the right person would be able to take an active part in
shaping the role, so rather than spend the time needed to explain the
role fully to a search agency, we hope to spend the time explaining it
to the candidates for the job.

There was also strong suggestion that more expertise should
be applied in creating the job description, and that more time
should be given for review of the result.  While recognizing
this is necessarily eating into  "IAD on board with IASA
establishment" time, it seems like a sensible adjustment
to plans.

Accordingly, we plan to change the IASA transition timeline as follows:

DEC 23 Send the job description to a professional for review
JAN 10 Circulate revised job description to IETF discussion list
JAN 14 Post the job description publicly
       o IETF-Announce list
       o ISOC announcement lists
       o NANOG, SANOG, NORDNOG, AFNOG, etc
       o Ask RIRs to forward to their respective announcement lists
FEB 14 (Valentine's day) - evaluation of applicants start
MAR 1 (earliest) - decision

The IASA TT will manage this process for as long as is appropriate.
That is, if the IASA BCP is approved in early January, the initial
IAOC will be able to undertake the evaluation from the outset
(mid-February).  If the BCP approval is delayed (and, therefore,
the IAOC is not seated until later), the IASA TT will continue with
the initial review of candidates, per the original plan.

Leslie,
for the IASA TT.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf