Subject: RE: Adminrest: section 4 B

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:19:53 +0100

Scott writes:
> 
> draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-01 section 4 also says
>    The members of the IAOC choose their own chair each year using a
>    consensus mechanism of their choosing.  Any appointed voting member
>    of the IAOC may serve as the IAOC Chair; the IETF Administrative 
>    Director, the IETF Chair, the IAB Chair, the ISOC President/CEO, and
>    non-voting liaisons are not eligible to serve as IAOC Chair. 
> 
> most of the 2nd sentence is redundant and not needed - once you
> say that only appointed members can be chair you have it all defined
> 

Discussed this with my co-editor Rob.
We both probably can live with removing it.
But we also both feel that the redundancy in this case does make it VERY
clear that we do not want those 3 specific IAOC members to become chair.

Other people with an opinion?

Bert
> Scott

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:27:25 +0100

> Other people with an opinion?

I think the redundancy should stay.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:30:42 -0500

I agree.  The redudancy should stay...  It is just a single sentence, 
and it could save us from later misunderstandings that would be 
incredibly difficult to unravel.

I saw one message that asked whether the IAOC can remove/replace 
their chair mid-year.  Does that need to be clarified?  What is the 
corresponding process for IAB chair, if any?

Margaret

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:27:35 +0100

--On fredag, desember 03, 2004 08:30:42 -0500 Margaret Wasserman 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I agree.  The redudancy should stay...  It is just a single sentence, and
> it could save us from later misunderstandings that would be incredibly
> difficult to unravel.
>
> I saw one message that asked whether the IAOC can remove/replace their
> chair mid-year.  Does that need to be clarified?  What is the

RFC 2850 section 3.1:

3.1 IAB chair

   The members of the IAB shall select one of its full members to serve
   as the chair of the IAB, with all of the duties and responsibilities
   normally associated with such a position.  The term of the IAB chair
   shall be one year, with no restriction on renewal.  The chair of the
   IAB may be removed at any time by the affirmative vote of two-thirds
   of the members of the IAB, or as a result of his or her departure
   from the IAB.

   The chair of the IAB shall have the authority to manage the
   activities and meetings of the IAB.

Seems reasonable enough to just adopt it wholesale. Creativity is not 
always good....

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:31:04 -0500

>Seems reasonable enough to just adopt it wholesale. Creativity is 
>not always good....

Makes sense to me.

Margaret