Subject: RE: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:07:32 -0800

> One nit:  There won't really be "IETF donations".  All of the fund
> raising will be done through ISOC, so all of the donations will be
> ISOC donations.  Some of those donations may be designated to a
> particular ISOC activity (such as the IASA or a particular
> educational or public policy project), and others will not be
> designated to a particular activity at all, but will be allocated
> between ISOC's activities as part of the ISOC budgeting process.

The current platinum sponsors of ISOC are Afilias Limited, APNIC, ARIN,
Microsoft, RIPE NCC, and the Swedish International Development
Cooperation Agency (SIDA). Most of these sponsors, including Microsoft,
designate their funds for "standard activities". These standard
activities are typically IETF related, but they are not necessarily
managed through "the IETF". The current list includes: RFC Editor,
scholarship funding for needy IETF participants to attend meetings,
activities of the IAB, IESG, IRTF, special workshops of the IETF, travel
for IETF related activities, "errors and omissions" insurance coverage
for IESG, IAB, and Working Group Chairs, communications charges for
conference calls of the IAB, IESG, and IRTF.

Forcing a particular bank account structure does not appear helpful.
What is helpful, on the other hand, is a yearly report explaining how
the contributions are actually used. Even large companies like Microsoft
don't like signing $100,000 checks without knowing how the money will be
spent. 

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf