Subject: Notice - DHCPv4 options 128-223 soon to be IANA assignable (RFC 3942)

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:43:19 -0500

Hi:

A new RFC has just been issued, RFC 3942
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3942.txt): "Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options". The
document is a product of the IETF DHC WG and expands the range of DHCPv4
option numbers that are in the IETF/IANA assignable range. The expanded
public range reduces the site-specific options range that was originally
defined in RFC 2132..

                       Old ranges            New ranges
IETF/IANA assignable:   1-127                 1-223
Site-specific:          128-254               224-254

So, why might you care about this?

Many vendors have used "site-specific" options in the range 128-254 for
vendor-specific purposes in shipping products. And, now that IANA can assign
options numbers in the range 128-223 to future Internet Standard options, we
need your assistance to prevent potential conflicts in the use of option
codes in the newly expanded range.

RFC 3942 has a mechanism whereby IANA will not assign any option codes in
the newly expanded range, 128-223, for 6 months (this period will end in May
2005). During this 6 month period, vendors using options in the 128-223
range should come forward to let IANA and the DHC WG know of their use. IANA
can be contacted at mailto:[email-masked] and the IETF DHC WG can be
contacted at mailto:[email-masked].

The vendor will also need to write an Internet Draft documenting that usage
and advance that draft to an RFC.  The Internet Draft can either be written
by the vendor or by the vendor providing the material for documenting their
usage to Bernie Volz (mailto:[email-masked]) for inclusion in a general
draft documenting several options.

Once the Internet Draft has been published, it will be, at the vendor's
discretion, published as an Informational RFC or entered into standards
track for publication as an Internet Standard RFC.

Therefore, please pass this email on as appropriate and contact Bernie Volz
for more information.

- Bernie Volz

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf