Subject: No change needed? #735 "rights in data"

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:17:42 +0100

Margaret said (quoting the draft):

>> The IAD is responsible for ensuring that all contracts give the IASA
>> and the IETF all rights in data needed to satisfy the principle of
>> data access.
>
> This sentence seems painfully twisted... Is "rights in data" a
> legal term that means something other than data access rights? If
> so, what does it mean exactly?

The "principle" referred to says (after advice from Jorge):

>    6.  The IETF, through the IASA, shall have a perpetual right to use,
>        display, distribute, reproduce, modify and create derivatives of
>        all data created in support of IETF activities.

That's more than data access righs.
I can't think of a way to untwist the sentence more while making it say the 
same thing - suggest that we don't make any change.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:02:13 -0500

I don't think that there is a substantive issue here, just an 

>>>  and the IETF all rights in data needed to satisfy the principle of

The IAD is responsible for ensuring that all contracts give IASA and 
the IETF the perpetual rigth to use, display, distribute, reproduce, 
modify and create derivatives of all data created in support of IETF 
activities.

It is not much longer than the original, and I don't have to twist my 
brain around to realize what it is trying to say.

>I can't think of a way to untwist the sentence more while making it 
>say the same thing - suggest that we don't make any change.

Does my suggestions above help?

Margaret