Subject: Adminrest: BCP -03: Compensation for IAOC members

From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:45:50 +0200

Hi,

I think one of the things still missing from the document is setting of
the compensation for the IAOC members for their services, travel, etc. I
think that everybody expects the job to be voluntary and that's why it
has not been documented. However, for the sake of avoiding future
discussions I would propose it to be documented. Here is some proposed
text:
(maybe for 4.2? - if you like it, maybe somebody can translate it to
English...)

x.x IAOC members compensation for labor, travel, and other costs

 The IAOC membership is considered voluntary. Hence, the costs sustained
by the members to participate in the IAOC are not be reimbursed by the
IASA or the ISOC. These costs include but are not limited to time used
to perform duties of IAOC, travel to face-to-face meetings and
accommodation during the meetings, and long-distance calls to IAOC
teleconferences. 

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34
E-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: EKR <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:10:10 -0800

> accommodation during the meetings, and long-distance calls to IAOC

Hmm... Just because something is voluntary doesn't mean that we
shouldn't reimburse people's expenses. I don't think I'd be
comfortable wiring this into the BCP. 

-Ekr

---

From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:21:12 +0200

Ekr,

if we decide to reimburse for the expenses created by the position in
the IAOC we have to create also rules what is reimbursed and on what
terms. E.g., in what are reasonable costs (traveling in economy,
business, first?) etc. Especially difficult is to lay down the price for
the labor invested to the IAOC work. 
I think what I have proposed is in line with the current practice in
IAB/IESG as well, for instance. 

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34

---

From: EKR <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:30:31 -0800

"Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]> writes:
> business, first?) etc.

Sure, but these are exactly the kinds of rules that companies have
to make every day. They're management decisions, not things that
get written into the corporate bylaws.

> Especially difficult is to lay down the price for
I agree that we shouldn't be paying the IAOC members. There's a bright
line between that and reimbursing them for expenses, IMHO.

-Ekr

---

From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:38:49 +0200

Actually...
"
Section 4.

The Trustees shall not receive any compensation (apart from
reimbursement of expenses) for their services as Trustees, but this
shall not preclude reasonable compensation for services rendered to the
Society by a Trustee in some other capacity."

This is from the ISOC by-laws...

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:39:18 -0500

>>>>> "Soininen" == Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki) <[email-masked]> writes:

    Soininen> x.x IAOC members compensation for labor, travel, and
    Soininen> other costs

    Soininen>  The IAOC membership is considered voluntary. Hence, the
    Soininen> costs sustained by the members to participate in the
    Soininen> IAOC are not be reimbursed by the IASA or the
    Soininen> ISOC. These costs include but are not limited to time
    Soininen> used to perform duties of IAOC, travel to face-to-face
    Soininen> meetings and accommodation during the meetings, and
    Soininen> long-distance calls to IAOC teleconferences.

I don't know about IAB calls, but with some exceptions IESG members do
not pay to participate in the telechats.

---

From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:33:06 +0200

Sam,

most probably (I would guess) you have a bridge with a US phone number
(both toll and toll-free). However, people from outside US have to pay
for the long distance fee to call those numbers. However, maybe that
particular information was a little bit too specific...

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:00:34 -0500 (EST)

> However, people from outside US have to pay
> for the long distance fee to call those numbers.

the services that teh IESG used when I was an AD called out to non-US
folk (or to folk that were in those %%(*$%$& hotels that charge 
per minute for "toll free" calls longer than some time)

Scott