Subject: RE: bcp-02: Section 3.4

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:18:57 +0100

Avri writes:
> Unless I am missing something in the document, there is no way for a 
> member of the IETf community to formally ask the IAOC to review the 
> decisions of the IAD. 

Since when would you not be allowed to send an email/complaint to
the IAOC ??

I guess you meant to say that there is not "formal way" to do so,
but we're all adults and we CAN communicate, can we not?

I.e. I do not see why we would need to make a formal procedure for
this.

Bert

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:16:43 +0100

Well,

A letter of complaint requires no response unless there is something 
that formalizes the requirement of response.

And if there is no procedure indicating that the IAOC needs to pay 
attention to a letter of complain, that decision, i.e the one to ignore 
letters of complain, cannot be appealed.

So, as I see it, without a formalized process of complaint/appeal of 
IAD actions we are left with no avenue to deal with problems other then 
by the yearly nomcom process and the IETF list.

> I guess you meant to say that there is not "formal way" to do so,

yeah, that is what i explicitly said.

> but we're all adults and we CAN communicate, can we not?

what does being an adult have to do with it?
I don't understand.  The issue is that there is no way to make the IAOC 
take notice of the communication.

> I.e. I do not see why we would need to make a formal procedure for

Because the lack of formalization leaves the IETF community without a 
means to appeal decisions.  And this decreases the level of 
accountability.

And of the things I thought that were driving the entire AdminRest 
process was the need for transparency and accountability.  And as I 
understand accountability in the IETF, it involves handling appeals 
from the IETF community.

a.