Subject: #732: Section 5 - Fund raising cost allocated to IASA?

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:19:16 +0100

Inline

> -----Original Message-----
> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:53:32 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
> From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Last Call Comments on draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-02.txt
> 
> ...
> 
> > behalf of the IASA at the direction of the IAOC. The IAD is likely
> > to draw on financial, legal and administrative support furnished by
> > ISOC support staff or consultants. Costs for ISOC support staff and
> > consultants are allocated based on actual expenses or on some other
> > allocation model determined by consultation between the IAOC and
> > ISOC.
> 
> This paragraph triggers a concern, but not one that should be dealt
> with in this section. We talk here about ISOC support staff costs
> being allocated to IASA, but I don't think we ever talk about fund
> raising costs being allocated to IASA. Do you think that we need
> to say something about that? Or should fund raising costs remain
> outside of the IASA budget and be deducted before funds are
> credited to the IASA accounts?

We have text that states:

                    ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate
                    structures and programs to coordinate donations
                    intended to support the work of the IETF, and
                    these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and
                    direct contributions to the work supported by
                    IASA.  

I am OK with leaving it at that and assume that ISOC will charge
fund-raising costs to the appropriate cost center.

Compare it to
                   Meeting revenues are an important source of funds
                   for IETF functions.  The IAD, in consultation with
                   the IAOC, sets the meeting fees as part of the
                   budgeting process.
                   All meeting revenues shall be credited to the
                   appropriate IASA accounts.

We do not specify how "costs for collecting the meeting fees (credit card
fees, bank fees, what have you)" are accounted for either.

In short: do we need all that detail.

As Harald explained in a posting this morning, the reason why we did the
specifics on the text you quote above is that it is too easy to "hide"
internal staff cost under G&A without detail.

So my proposal is: no change needed

Bert

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:39:48 -0500 (EST)

clearly fund raising expenses must be accounted for but, imo, 
there is nothing special about fund raising expenses - there will
also be other overhead costs that will have to be seen as being in the
IASA budget (Bert mentions credit card fees, there is also office space,
legal support for contract negotiation, etc, etc) - I do not see 
a particular need to call out fund raising expenses in a special way.

> So my proposal is: no change needed

I agree

Scott