Subject: Consensus? #738 Section 5.3 - Unclear text

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:45:15 +0100

Margaret said, quoting the BCP draft:

>> ISOC shall create appropriate administrative structures to coordinate
>> such donations with the IASA.
>
> I don't understand this sentence. Which donations are "such
> donations" and in what way do they need to be coordinated with
> IASA?

On rereading the paragraph, this sentence seems to say little that was not 
said by the first sentence of the second paragraph of the section:

>    ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate structures and programs to
>    coordinate donations intended to support the work of the IETF, and
>    these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and direct
>    contributions to the work supported by IASA.

I think it may have been intended to embody the principle from section 2.2:

> In-kind donations shall only be accepted at the direction of the IAD and
> IAOC.

But since we have already stated that in "principles", I think we can leave 
it to the IAD to make sure this is part of the "appropriate" structures.

Suggested resolution: Delete the sentence from the third paragraph (after 
the Editor's notes):

>    ISOC shall create appropriate administrative structures to coordinate
>    such donations with the IASA.

Makes the document a little shorter, too.

OK?

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:41:17 -0500 (EST)

Harald suggests:

reducing redundancy is good (even better when the redundancy is
incomplete) - seems like a good resolution to me

Scott

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:57:00 +0100

> Suggested resolution: Delete the sentence from the third 
> paragraph (after the Editor's notes):
> 

Works for me

Bert