Subject: RE: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:48:57 +0100

I am not a real accountant and kind of simple-minded.

So when you say:
> >>>>> "Lynn" == Lynn St Amour <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>     Lynn> over 80% of ISOC's org. members donate less than $10K
>     Lynn> annually and managing these in a 'restricted accounting
>     Lynn> manner' requires more effort and overhead.  Also,
>     Lynn> organizations/donors expect recognition appropriate to their
>     Lynn> contribution and that implies differing levels of value and
>     Lynn> distinction.
> 
I then wonder.... 

- if there is s separate or special bank account for IASA/ETF
- if I can just deposit my donation into that bank account
- What then is the "more effort and overhead" ??

I just do not understand.

Bert

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:35:12 +0100

> I just do not understand.

Bert, I'm sure Lynn will answer this too, but from when the ISOC was
discussing accounting practices for individual member subscriptions
and donations, I remember that the bank account aspect is the least
of the worries (and anyway, we already reached consensus not to
have a separate bank account). The issue is that accounting entries
have to be made in a very specific way for money which is tied to
a specific purpose, and while that is a small overhead if someone
donates $100k, it becomes a significant overhead if 100 people
donate $1k. It can end up eating money for accounting actions
that really serve no useful purpose but have to be done to follow
thr accounting rules. So I think Lynn is correct and we have to
give ISOC the necessary flexibility.

    Brian