Subject: More pretty graphs

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:15:07 -0700

Based on the positive feedback from my RFC-Editor graph, I've updated
some work that I started some time ago - a set of graphs, two per
working group.  These graphs show inter-document dependencies(*) of
all I-Ds that are working group documents, and one "hop" forwards and
back - for example, if a foowg document depends on
draft-fenner-great-stuff, then the individual draft shows up, but not
*that* document's dependencies.  The two graphs are <wgname>.pdf,
which includes relationships that my script could determine are not
normative, and <wgname>-norm.pdf which does not.  Sometimes when the
full graph is too much, the -norm graph is still readable.

It's an interesting way to see what relationships exist, and what
other groups / documents may be referencing a given WG's work.

http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/viz/

Each page includes a key for what the shapes and colors mean. 
Feedback is welcome.

  Bill

(*) - Of course, these dependencies are gathered programmatically,
using heuristics run over Internet Drafts, looking for filenames of
other drafts.  This means that some dependencies are not found - e.g.,
references like

   [Ken-Arch]Kent, S., and Seo, K., "Security Architecture for the
             Internet Protocol", RFC ???, ??? 200?.

that are meant to be to an I-D are never seen in my data.  (I'm not
picking on IPsec or this reference format - just noting the
limitations of my heuristics)  The type of reference is also picked up
by heuristics, looking for sections titled, e.g., "Normative
References".  I'm happy to look at the specifics of any document that
the heuristics failed on.

The actual data behind the graphs can be seen in my mysql database;
https://rtg.ietf.org/phpmyadmin/ user ietf password ietf database
draftdep table dep

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:02:12 -0500

Bill, thank you for developing this tool and for posting the note 
about it to [email-masked].

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bill Fenner" <[email-masked]>

  Bill

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:05:32 +0200

> http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/viz/
[...]
> Feedback is welcome.

Nice.  I know that I need glasses, but maybe you could arrange
for bigger figures with a bigger font size ?  I've tested...

<http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/viz/usefor-norm.pdf>

...and there five rows (two for the key, three for USEFOR)
could work.
                            Bye, Frank

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:05:32 +0200

[...]

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:41:27 -0700

On 5/17/05, Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> for bigger figures with a bigger font size ?

Frank,

  I used PDF because most PDF viewers allow zooming and panning.  I've
left graphviz to decide on the layout itself, since for complex groups
(see some of the larger PDF files), there's no way to sensibly
influence the graph layout.

  Bill