Subject: RE: improving WG operation

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson \(LU/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:28:33 +0200

> Other organizations have proponents explain what they are proposing.
> IMO this leads to a better quality of discussion.

Those other organizations often do *all* their work and take all
decisions in their face2face meetings, while our main venue is our
WG mail list, and face2face meetings are only complimentary, where
we can get higher bandwidth for discussion, and resolve tricky issues.

The mistake we (as chairs) often do is when we do not plan meetings
based on what issues actually require face2face meeting time, but 
instead just make an agenda covering all ongoing WG items (and
documents), and often also completely new individual contributions
that are not in our charter. The latter sometimes motivates taking
face2face agenda time, but that should still be done first when the
item (based on an internet draft) has already been discussed on the
mailing list so that the WG is aware of it. If face2face time then
is needed to get a better understanding and discussion about the
issues, then that would be good use of face2face time.

/L-E

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf