Subject: Re: Voting (again)

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 11:44:57 -0400

Hi Sam (and everyone else),

At 5:38 PM -0400 4/26/05, Sam Hartman wrote:
>I'd just like to say that I'm not at all sure being an AD is a full
>time job.  It certainly sometimes is.

I do not work for the IETF full-time.  I have a demanding full-time 
job, a family and other interests.

It is hard to give an accurate estimate of the amount of time that I 
spend on my IESG job for two reasons:

     (1) It varies quite a bit from month-to-month.
     (2) The borders of  the AD job are not well-defined.

I've tried to keep track at various points, and I would estimate that 
I spend an average of ~15 hours per week doing IESG work on a 
sustained basis.  In addition, I spend ~4 full-time weeks per year at 
IETF meetings and other IESG meetings.  This is still my first IESG 
term, so there is no indication yet as to whether the community is 
satisfied with the quantity or quality of my work.

I spend a few hours a week on other IETF-related work (I still do a 
few things in the IETF that are not IESG work).

I also spend a few hours per week on ISOC Board activities, in 
addition to ~6 days full days of f2f ISOC Board meetings per year.

My IETF/IESG/ISOC responsibilities do not preclude me from working 
~50 hours per week at my day job, except for the ~5 full-time weeks 
we (I and my employer) give to the IETF/ISOC.

I do sometimes find that my IESG responsibilities interfere with my 
day job responsibilities and vice versa, particularly when it comes 
to allocation of the small number of hours (~25 per week) where 
business hours in EST and PST overlap.  I make my best effort to deal 
with these conflicts, but my choices may not always be acceptable to 
both sides.

Margaret

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf