Subject: IETF Newsletter: What's cooking?

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:08:01 +1200

I realise the importance of having a newsletter from the IETF that would 
explain every month what is happening in IETF from a non-technical point 
of view.

The newsletter would be about the protocols which are getting developped 
but in non-technical terms (or not too much) so that the general 
population could understand how the Internet is shapping today.

At the moment the world is watching how the SPAM issue will be solved, 
if IETF could monthly indicates initiatives taken by IETF in this sense 
everybody would benefit.

I see that IETF has a strong link with ISOC, ISOC supports IETF to a 
large level, however ISOC individual members (most of them are 
non-technical people) do not know this relationship, nor understand it. 
They also do not understand the day to day activities of IETF.

Scientific/Technical Vulgarisation is urgently needed!

In the Pacific Islands many members of the Pacific Islands Chapter of 
the Internet Society would be interested to learn how IETF is shapping 
the Internet. Speaking with other chapters, they are also strongly 
interested.

To pursue the relationship IETF/ISOC and let's say in general 
IETF/Public I think such monthly newletter is needed (via e-mail it is 
fine).

I put humbly this request in front of the Chair of IETF for action.

Support ISOC individual members and we will support IETF.

Cheers

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Franck Martin
[email-masked]
"Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question"
G. Bachelard

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:59:24 +0200

Dear Franck,
your proposition is a key issue for the stability of the Internet. If IETF 
does not provide exposition and recognition to its Members and to its 
solutions, the quality of the Membership decreases (RFC 3774), solutions 
will be/are worked outside and will not be consistent (within and outside 
of the IETF). The problem is who will run the newsletter? With which 
authority?

In any case it can only be a _report_ by third informed parties (they MUST 
not commit the IETF). If you consider the problem and the budget of various 
formulas, it look like there are  only two long term, viable, stable and 
exciting solutions:

1. a multilingual technical internet paper magazine, sponsoring local 
Internet shows and conferences. This should be coupled with the RFC Editor, 
for speed and mutual editing services, etc. It would also contribute to the 
administration of the Internet standard process. It would also be the right 
place for an "Internet Book", an organised updated compendium of the RFC 
states of the art. This would be some kind of revolution (as it would 
introduced readers feed-back and quality control), with public's comments 
Selections and IESG decisions, and multicultural positions. This can only 
be something organised by the IASA granting an exclusive right to use IETF 
name, logo, etc.

2. a GPL effort to maintain an Internet Book and Sources by a dedicated 
group. But this would probably lead to an independent innovative effort.

This does not mean that Drafts authors could not contribute. But it would 
be in addition to the Internet standard process. Due to the special needs 
of SOPAC, may be could you be interested in participating to such a second 
approach. This could permit to plug-in customised standards for special 
situations like yours, without disrupting the global architecture.

This is in tune with the questions I rose about experimentation and 
ccTLD/LIC's needs not currently supported by IETF and part of the Draft I 
prepare. I will have a questionaire sent to ccTLD/LICs. If the issue is of 
interest to you, you welcome.

jfc

At 05:08 31/05/2005, Franck Martin wrote:
>At the moment the world is watching how the SPAM issue will be solved, if 
>IETF could monthly indicates initiatives taken by IETF in this sense 
>everybody would benefit.
>
>I see that IETF has a strong link with ISOC, ISOC supports IETF to a large 
>level, however ISOC individual members (most of them are non-technical 
>people) do not know this relationship, nor understand it. They also do not 
>understand the day to day activities of IETF.
>
>In the Pacific Islands many members of the Pacific Islands Chapter of the 
>Internet Society would be interested to learn how IETF is shapping the 
>Internet. Speaking with other chapters, they are also strongly interested.
>
>To pursue the relationship IETF/ISOC and let's say in general IETF/Public 
>I think such monthly newletter is needed (via e-mail it is fine).
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:00:22 +0200

Franck,

That's a good idea. In fact, it's so good that the IETF's EDU team
already has the desire to start a newsletter, with ISOC support. It is
not likely to be monthly (too much effort) but it should be regular.

     Brian

Franck Martin wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Gene Gaines <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:16:41 -0400

Franck, Brian,

(Copies of Brian and Frank emails on this subject below.)

Good idea.  In my opinion, could be very beneficial to both the
IETF and ISOC.

In addition, perhaps there are other ways of increasing
communication and strengthening both organizations.

For the past six months, some of us in ISOC Chapters have
talked about starting a speakers bureau.

At its simplest, just to collect ISOC chapter contacts and
chapter meeting dates, and remind IETF members that when they
travel to other cities or countries, think about taking a small
amount of time to visit the ISOC chapter there.

Both organizations can benefit.

In several cases ISOC people have been able to assist visiting
IETF people, either advising on local places to stay, tourism,
etc. in other cases making important introductions to local
people.

ISOC France is playing a good role in the coming IETF63 in
Paris. ISOC Washington DC organized VIP tours of the U.S.
Capitol building during IETF61

Unless there is objection to this, in the next 2 weeks I will
come up with a modest proposal, and will ask my local Washington
DC ISOC chapter to perhaps support such an effort.

After all, ISOC and IETF are limbs of the same tree.

How many ISOC people know of the Tao?  Extraordinary
document, RFC 3160 August 2001: www.ietf.org/tao.html

How many IETF people have seen the founding principles for ISOC
laid down by Vint Cerf, Bob Kahn, Lyman Chapin in 1992?
www.dcisoc.org/Announcing_ISOC.pdf

Gene Gaines
[email-masked]

--

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 06:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

It's not exactly a newsletter, but "my" journal IPJ does attempt to cover
some of technical developments within the IETF, and could cover a lot more
with the help of its participants. It won't replace the newsletter you are
talking about here, but it could certainly work more as a companion
resource, more that is than it does already.

If you have good technical IETF-related articles, I am more than happy to
consider them for publication.

End of plug.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj