Subject: REMINDER - DHCPv4 options 128-223 soon to be IANA assignable (RFC 3942)

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 18:32:15 -0400

Just a friendly reminder ... First 6 month notification period
ends soon!

Hi:

A new RFC was recently issued, RFC 3942
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3942.txt): "Reclassifying DHCPv4 
Options". The document is a product of the IETF DHC WG and 
expands the range of DHCPv4 option numbers that are in the 
IETF/IANA assignable range. The expanded public range reduces 
the site-specific options range that was originally defined 
in RFC 2132..

                       Old ranges            New ranges
IETF/IANA assignable:   1-127                 1-223
Site-specific:          128-254               224-254

So, why might you care about this?

Many vendors have used "site-specific" options in the range 
128-254 for vendor-specific purposes in shipping products. 
And, now that IANA can assign options numbers in the range 
128-223 to future Internet Standard options, we need your 
assistance to prevent potential conflicts in the use of 
option codes in the newly expanded range.

RFC 3942 has a mechanism whereby IANA will not assign any 
option codes in the newly expanded range, 128-223, for 6 
months (this period will end in May 2005). During this 6 
month period, vendors using options in the 128-223 range 
should come forward to let IANA and the DHC WG know of their 
use. IANA can be contacted at mailto:[email-masked] and the 
IETF DHC WG can be contacted at mailto:[email-masked].

The vendor will also need to write an Internet Draft 
documenting that usage and advance that draft to an RFC.  The 
Internet Draft can either be written by the vendor or by the 
vendor providing the material for documenting their usage to 
Bernie Volz (mailto:[email-masked]) for inclusion in a 
general draft documenting several options.

Once the Internet Draft has been published, it will be, at 
the vendor's discretion, published as an Informational RFC or 
entered into standards track for publication as an Internet 
Standard RFC.

Therefore, please pass this email on as appropriate and 
contact Bernie Volz for more information.

- Bernie Volz

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf