Subject: Nomination for the appointment of a Languages Subtags Reviewer

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 06:19:24 +0100

Dear Scott,
from various mails of yours I understand that:

- you will propose the IESG to consider the nomination of the RFC 
3066 Bis IETF Language Subtag Reviewer (under appeal) on March 2nd.
- you privately approached the RFC 3066 Langage Tag Reviewer for the 
job. He disclosed it.
- you would also consider other candidates.

I probably missed the call for nominations. I therefore wish to 
nominate myself.

I started dealing with networked language issues for the world 
digital ecosystem in 1980, considering the international support of 
Videotex diacritics. I was involved in Katakana technical support 
from 1983. I am interested in computer assisted and networked 
languages modes, the main issues the IETF should consider. I am 
involved in multilingualisation (the equal support of every language 
by technology) for years. I underline that the Language Subtag 
Reviewer requirements by RFC 3066 Bis are not mainly oriented towards 
languages and scripts (which must follow the ISO policy). I suppose 
everyone knows that I am particularly informed of the RFC 3066 Bis 
related issues.

Disclosure of possible Conflicts of Interest.

1. I am an individual Member of the Unicode consortium.
2. I maintain an experimental inclusive language coding elements 
registry ("langroot") for cross referencing the various language 
coding registries and counting around of 35.000 elements.
3. I am one of the authors of the  Language Equal Opportunity 
Introductory Declaration (http://nicso.org/equilang.htm) and I want 
the Internet to equally support every languages as it does for 
English and to support every public and private language coding 
system, as it does for ISO.

Comments.

I shared in the WG-LTRU where I proposed different solutions for the 
administration of the [email-masked] mailing list. Its RFC 
3066 Bis Draft says that the  Language Subtag Reviewer is to moderate 
it. Several persons have requested that the reviewer's role be 
separated from the administrator's duties.

I wish to respect the WG consensus. But if the consensus changed and 
if the administration role was to be delegated, I consider that the 
administration of a iana.org list belongs to the IANA. IMHO this 
would protect the Language Subtag and Extension Registries from the 
problems we faced with the Language Tag Registry.

My policy would be inclusive, to support interoperability with all 
the other language code registry. And to timely and actively support 
all the innovations the WG-LTRU has foreseen to that end. I would 
obviously pay the utmost attention to the Language Subtag Extension 
Registry 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tag-extensions-registry and 
to the all the interests it may raise.

To illustrate my position, using cases recently discussed, I would 
start in accepting the current ISO updates and every codes in the ISO 
3166 lists. I am interested in territory's internet communities, not 
in territory adminstrative/political situation. This would start with 
"EU" code for the European Union, and "Japn" for the group of scripts 
usually found in Japanese documents.

Jean-François C. Morfin

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Scott Hollenbeck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:06:40 -0500

Mr. Morfin:

Your interest is noted.

-Scott-

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jefsey Morfin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 10:46 PM
> To: Scott Hollenbeck; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Nomination for the appointment of a Languages 
> Subtags Reviewer
> 
> Dear Scott,