Subject: RE: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:51:59 -0800

> From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> I think that Dave's message reflects a common frustration in 
> IETF that we talk a lot about particular problems and never 
> seem to do anything about them. 

Quite so, which is why most of us feel that there should be a strong bias in
favor of action and experimentation rather than inertia and analysis.

I would like to see much more interchange across the standards forums. One
of the benefits of doing that is that more people would have experience of
working different ways and with different groups of people. 

I would like to be in a position of choosing the venue acording to the type
of work and the benefits of the particular forum rather than having to take
the efficiency of the venues into account. 

We have a competitive market in standards forums. This is a good thing not
least because there is no possibility that the IETF could ever have managed
the workload of W3C and OASIS in addition to its own interests. 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:55:32 -0500

> favor of action and experimentation rather than inertia and analysis.

I hope you're wrong about that, because this is supposed to be an
engineering organization.  It is infeasible to determine by
experimentation how well a protocol will work at Internet scale.

Keith