Subject: RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:00:14 -0800

> Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> The obvious way to deploy IPv6 is to leverage
> the NAT infrastructure.

Indeed.

> Evangelize to the major providers of NAT (Cisco,
> Netgear, Microsoft, Belkin...)

I will point out that we have had the beginning of a solution for ages
with 6to4. Unfortunately, telling NAT providers that they suck is not
the best way to have them incorporate a new protocol in their products,
especially when there is no consumer demand.

> ..the systems design MUST meet the real needs of actual customers.
> The problem with large amounts of IETF design is that abstract
> engineering fetish is put ahead of meeting real users needs.

Unfortunately some protocol purity zealots still have to realize that
Linksys, Netgear, Belkin and consorts don't sell NAT boxes because they
think NAT is good, they sell NAT boxes because consumers want to buy
them.

Michel.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:48:57 -0500

> think NAT is good, they sell NAT boxes because consumers want to buy

maybe this is because "protocol purity zealots" take a long term view
and want to preserve the flexibility of the net "market" to continue to
grow and support new applications, whereas the NAT vendors are just
eating their seed corn.