Subject: Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:45:08 -0500 (EST)

> From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>

    > even if IP had identifiers for hosts that were independent of
    > locators, they wouldn' t be worth very much without a way to map them
    > to locators. and locators are a lot easier to deal with if they're
    > location-independent.

Huh? Did you mean "identifiers are a lot easier to deal with if they're
location-independent"?

If that wasn't a typo, and you really meant what you said, the whole *point*
of locators is to include location information. A "locator [which is]
location-independent" is an completely oxymoron.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Fleischman, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:49:46 -0800

Noel,

Please recall that IP addresses are currently serving two semantic
functions: Locator and Identity. I interpreted Keith's posting to be
speaking of the latter. (e.g., HIP)

--Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Noel Chiappa [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

If that wasn't a typo, and you really meant what you said, the whole
*point* of locators is to include location information. A "locator
[which is] location-independent" is an completely oxymoron.

	Noel

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:52:17 -0500

> Huh? Did you mean "identifiers are a lot easier to deal with if they're

yep.

> location-independent" is an completely oxymoron.

what I mean is that a locator that means the same thing (refers to the
same destination) no matter where you are in the net, is a lot easier
to deal with than a locator with a meaning that changes (refers to
different destinations) depending on where you are in the net.  for
example, you can use them in referrals (of which DNS is just one
example) without having to keep track of whether you've crossed an
addressing domain boundary.

a global IPv4 address is an example of the former, a private IPv4
address is an example of the latter.

Keith

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:53:37 -0500

> > Huh? Did you mean "identifiers are a lot easier to deal with if they're

sorry, I mean to say "nope.".  I really was talking about locators, not identifiers.

Keith