Subject: Re: the iab & net neutrality

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:20:41 -0500 (EST)

maybe I can summerize John's note by asking if this IAB has the
will to write a RFC 1984 about net neutrality

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:08:23 -0800

> From: Spencer Dawkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> I don't know how this would work, but if it could be made to 
> work, that might be very helpful.

It can work if the objective is to develop an interoperable architecture for
NAT.

It is not going to work if the objective is to explain to NAT vendors why
they are so misguided, or to cripple the NAT translation scheme in order to
ensure that the incentive to upgrade to IPv6 is not diluted.

If facilitating deployment was part of my annual goals I would be attempting
to achieve that by establishing a vendor led consortium to produce an IPv6
aware NAT box specification. I would establish a brand for the transition
box and ensure that the brand had immediate value by ensuring it gave
immediate value by removing the random component from NAT/protocol
interactions.
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf