Subject: Unofficial Meeting of Scalable Small Group Multicast(SSGM) for IRTF

From: Yuji Imai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:19:24 +0900 (JST)

Hello,

We will have an Unofficial Meeting of Scalable Small Group
Multicast(SSGM) for IRTF 3/19 20:00-23:00（CST) @ Hilton Anatole (Same
hotel of IETF 65th) If you attend the IETF, please come to the meeting
too.

The room will be assigned by secretariat but not decided yet, But we
will announce by put the note on the message board, updating the wiki
page below and send place announcement on this ML as soon as she would
tell the place.

http://www1.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki

--
Yuji IMAI / WIDE Project

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                    === Call for participants ===

Unofficial Meeting of Scalable Small Group Multicast(SSGM) for IRTF
               http://www.net.itc.nagoya-u.ac.jp/SSGM/

Date : March 19, 2006 (20:00--23:00)
Place: Room <TBD> , Hilton Anatole (Same hotel of IETF 65th), Dallas TX, USA
       Room will be announced on the MLs and the message board.

IP Multicast has proved useful in transmitting information such as
voice and video to large groups. It has been used to broadcast IETF
Working Group meetings to remote participants and will provide a
suitable foundation for broadcasting TV programs across the Internet.

On the other hand, IP multicast is not well suited to small groups. As
the Internet Architecture Board stated in RFC 2902, "Providing for
many groups of small conferences ... scales badly given the current
multicast model."

The ability to efficiently support "small groups" will be important
for VoIP conference calls, for videoconferencing and for multi-media
e-meetings and as a result several alternative approaches have emerged
for the problem of "small group communications". These include.

    * ALM ([ESM],[YOID],[NICE],[ALMI],[TAG],[DTO],[CAN],[BAYEUX])
    * Overlay Multicast([SCX],[OVERCAST],[RMX],[MSN],[OMNI],[AKAMAI],[IBEAM])
    * XCAST ([XCID],[XCUG],[XCP],[GXC],[XMIP],[XCBCP])

These make it easy for end-users to start using multi-party
communications since they use a datagram distribution layer that is
based on ordinary unicast routing.

As these alternative approaches have appeared relatively recently,
issues remain to be worked out. These issues are discussed in several
research papers ([TAON], [SROU], [CMP], [ITOL], [PAA], [EEA]) and
include:

    * Long latency
    * Selfish routing and bandwidth consumption
    * Slow routing convergence
    * Routing instability
    * Difficulties in deployment and maintenance
    * Inefficient tree topology

Using these technologies as the basis for group communication without
solving these problems would cause serious conflicts between carriers
and users concerned with bandwidth usage similar to traffic load of
popular file sharing systems like Kazaa, Napster, Winny and Bittorrerant.

The purpose of the ad hoc meeting is

   1. share the results of the various research groups.
   2. identify the set of problems that remain to be addressed
   3. get rough consensus on the direction and next steps that should
      be taken to address the problem of small group communication.

We expect that the results of this meeting will be reported to the
IRTF chair and shared within the IETF/IRTF as well as in the broader
academic and engineering community to accelerate the development of
novel and useful mechanisms for small group communications.

    * Agenda 20:00 - 20:05

      - Agenda Bash

    * 20:05 - 21:25 (15 min each)

      1. Overlay Multicast and SSGM (Prof. Mark Pullen, GMU)
      2. Application Layer Multicast and SSGM (Prof. Bobby Bhattacharjee UMD)
      3. XCAST and SSGM (Yuji Imai, WIDE Project)
      4. Selfish Routing Implications (Prof. Lili Qiu, UT Austin)
      5. Problem statements (Prof. Yoichi Shinoda, JAIST/WIDE Project

    * 21:30 - 23:00

      Draft charter Presentation & General Discussion

    * Invited Observers
      - Prof. Kevin Almeroth, UCSB Multicast Expert
      - Prof. Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia SIP, RTP
      - Aaron Falk, IRTF chair/ISI

--
Yuji IMAI (WIDE Project)
John Buford (Panasonic)
Rick Boivie (IBM)
Bobby Bhattacharjee(UMD) 

Reference

[2902]
    S. Deering, S. Hares, C. Perkins, R. Perlman, "Overview of the
    1998 IAB Routing Workshop", RFC2902, August 2000.
[ESM]
    Y.-H. Chu, S. G. Rao, and H. Zhang. A case for end system
    multicast. In Proceedings of ACM Sigmetrics, June 2000.
[YOID]
    P. Francis. Yoid: Extending the Multicast Internet Architecture.
    White papar, http://www.aciri.org/yoid/
[NICE]
    S. Banerjee, C. Kommareddy, and B. Bhattacharjee. Scalable
    application layer multicast. In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM, Aug. 2002.
[ALMI]
    D. Pendarakis, S. Shi, D. Verma, and M. Waldvogel. ALMI: An
    application level multicast infrastructure. In Proceedings of the 3rd
    USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems, Mar. 2001.
[TAG]
    M. Kwon and S. Fahmy. Topology aware overlay networks for group
    communication. In Proceedings of NOSSDAV, May 2002
[DTO]
    J. Liebeherr, M. Nahas, and W. Si. Application-layer multicasting
    with delaunay triangulation overlays. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas
    in Communications, 20(8):1472?1488, Oct. 2002.
[CAN]
    S. Ratnasamy, M. Handley, R. Karp, and S. Shenker.
    Applicationlevel multicast using content-addressable networks. In
    Proceedings of NGC, Nov. 2001.
[BAYEUX]
    S. Q. Zhuang, B. Y. Zhao, A. D. Joseph, R. H. Katz, and J. D.
    Kubiatowicz. Bayeux: An architecture for scalable and fault-tolerant
    wide-area data dissemination. In Proceedings of NOSSDAV'01, June 2001
[SCX]
    Y. Chawathe, S. McCanne, and E. A. Brewer. An Architecture for
    Internet Content Distributions as an Infrastructure Service, 2000.
    Unpublished, http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/yatin/papers/
[OVERCAST]
    J. Jannotti, D. K. Gifford, K. L. Johnson, M. F. Kaashoek, and J.
    W. O. Jr. Overcast: Reliable multicasting with an overlay network. In
    Proceedings of USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and
    Implementation, Oct. 2000.
[RMX]
    Y. Chawathe, S. McCanne, and E. A. Brewer. RMX: Reliable multicast
    for heterogeneous networks. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, Mar. 2000.
[MSN]
    S. Shi and J. S. Turner. Routing in overlay multicast networks. In
    Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, June 2002.
[OMNI]
    S. Banerjee, C. Kommareddy, K. Kar, B. Bhattacharjee, and S.
    Khuller. Construction of an efficient overlay multicast infrastructure
    for real-time applications. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, Apr. 2003.
[AKAMAI]
    Akamai Technologies, Inc. http://www.akamai.com/
[IBEAM]
    iBeam Broadcasting Corp. http://www.ibeam.com/
[XCID]
    R. Boivie, N. Feldman , Y. Imai , W. Livens , D. Ooms, O.
    Paridaens, E. Muramoto, "Explicit Multicast (Xcast) Basic
    Specification", draft-ooms-xcast-basic-spec-08.txt, July.2005.
[XCUG]
    Yuji Imai, Hiro Kishimoto, Myung-Ki Shin, Young-Han Kim, "XCAST6:
    eXplicit Multicast on IPv6", IEEE/IPSJ SAINT2003 Workshop 4, IPv6 and
    Applications, Orland, Jan.2003
[XCP]
    S. Myung-KI, K. Yong-Jin, P. Ki-Shik, and K. Sang-Ha. Explicit
    multicast extension (Xcast+) for efficient multicast packet delivery.
    ETRI Journal, 23(4), December 2001.
[GXC]
    A. Boudani, A. Guitton, B. Cousin. GXcast: Generalized Explicit
    Multicast Routing Protocol. 9th IEEE Symposium on Computers and
    Communications (ISCC 2004)
[XMIP]
    Jiwoong Lee, Explicit Multicast over Mobile IP (XMIP) ,
[XCBCP]
    C. Hsu, E.Muramoto, J. Buford,et al,Best Current Practices of
    XCAST (Explicit Multi-Unicast) by 2004,
[TAON]
    Junghee Han, David Watson, and Farnam Jahanian, Topology Aware
    Overlay Networks, INFOCOM 2005
[SROU]
    Lili Qiu, Yang Richard Yang, Yin Zhang, Scott Shenker, On Selfish
    Routing in Internet-Like Environments, SIGCOMM 2003
[CMP]
    Li Lao, Jun-Hong Cui, Mario Gerla, Dario Maggiorini,A Comparative
    Study of Multicast Protocols: Top, Bottom, or In theMiddle?, UCLA,
    GI2005
[ITOL]
    Zhi Li and Prasant Mohapatra,The Impact of Topology on Overlay
    Routing Service, SIGCOMM 2003
[PAA]
    Zhu, W.; SunGuestEditor, M.-T.; ChenGuestEditor, L.-G.; Sikora,
    T,Proceedings of the IEEE Volume 93, Issue 1, Jan 2005
[EEA]
    Wenjie Wang, Cheng Jin, Sugih Jamin, Network Overlay Construction
    under Limited End-to-End Addressability,INFOCOM2005

-----
ug at xcast.jp_NOSPAM
WIDE Project

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Yuji Imai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:35:09 +0900

Hello all

The room name is "Sapphire" in Hilton Anatole.
It is located 1st floor of the Tower. We will put a poster on the message board.

For tele-conf.
 We prepare our bridge and polycom for remote a participants.
 Mail <ug at xcast.jp_NOSPAM> & <yoneda.takahiro at
jp.panasonic.com_NOSPAM> for bridge information.
--
ug

Aaron Falk wrote:
>        http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-65.html
>Bobby Bhattacharjee(UMD) - [to be confirmed]
>
>Reference
>
>[2902]

-----
[email-masked]

--
ug