Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Experimental Values In IPv4, IPv6, ICMPv4, ICMPv6, UDP and TCP Headers' to Proposed Standard

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:22:46 -0800

Hi Geoff,

  Brian reminded me of your Last Call comment, which I saw and then
overlooked.  I think I meant to say "No experimental addresses are
assigned", where you took exception to saying "...defined".

  Do you find the following text sensible?

3.4.1.  IPv6 Unicast Addresses

   [RFC2928] defines a set of IPv6 addresses for testing and
   experimental usage:

      The block of Sub-TLA IDs assigned to the IANA (i.e., 2001:
      0000::/29 - 2001:01F8::/29) is for assignment for testing and
      experimental usage to support activities such as the 6bone, and
      for new approaches like exchanges.

   However, at this writing, there are no RFC3692-style experimental
   IPv6 addresses assigned.  [I-D.huston-ipv6-iana-specials] creates an
   IANA registry which may in the future contain such assignments.  For
   certain experiments, Unique Local Addresses [RFC4193] may be useful.
   It is not appropriate to use addresses in the documentation prefix
   [RFC3849] for experimentation.

I don't feel comfortable asking for a unicast address range since I don't
think the 3692 rules are clear enough for unicast addresses (like, who gets
to advertise them?) so I'd rather just refer to the two relevant documents.

Thanks,
  Bill

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf