Subject: RE: Jabber chats (was: 2 hour meetings)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:49:28 -0800

> From: Tim Chown [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> Well, if we make remote participation too good, we may end up 
> with rather empty meeting rooms and a bankrupt IETF ;)
>  
> What we should do, given the rush of work that happens pre-ID 
> cutoff, is maybe look at such technology for interim 
> meetings, and have the IETF support some infrastructure to 
> help interim meetings run more
> effectively, maybe even without a physical meeting venue.   Some WGs
> might then run more interim virtual meetings and help 
> distribute the workload over the year more smoothly.

You mean like holding a bi-weekly teleconference?

VOIP is getting to the point where this is practical. 
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:59:13 +0000

> VOIP is getting to the point where this is practical. 

Well yes, telecons are fine for design team work, but for an open interim
meeting you need to determine which systems will work for maybe 50 virtual
attendees and not devolve to chaos :)

-- 
Tim/::1

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:00:35 +0000

> VOIP is getting to the point where this is practical. 

Personally I find jabber (and similar technologies) much more convenient
than voice. I've used that a few times with a small group of people to
discuss and solve technical problems. I feel it allows more interactive
discussions and is also easier non-native English speakers,

I think using the wg jabber rooms we got for regular discussions of
specific issues is a great idea.

Stig

> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:10:47 -0500 (EST)

> specific issues is a great idea.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.  And in my mind, that
brings up a related question:

Can anyone affirmatively state whether rooms.jabber.ietf.org will remain
up between meetings?  If the plan is to take it down, I would lobby for
re-consideration...

-Scott

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:13:40 +0000

> up between meetings?  If the plan is to take it down, I would lobby for

I believe they are, as logs from the rooms are on the web site (or were
last time I looked :)  So you get auto archives.

-- 
Tim/::1

---

From: Yangwoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:30:33 +0900

> discussions and is also easier non-native English speakers,
Agreed. It is impossible to catch up voice-based communication again if 
you miss it once.

In addition to this, jabber-based chats makes me - non native English 
speaker (actually listener in
most of time) - verify whether I am following up the discussion or not.

Thanks to kind jabber scribers (surely including Stig) of WG meetings 
that I have attended so far.