Subject: Re: Meetings in other regions

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:44:52 -0700

At 6:46 AM -0700 7/17/06, Andy Bierman wrote:

>  Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>
>  Nobody flies from LAX to San Diego because it ends up taking
>  twice as long as driving for 10 times as much, so don't expect
>  lots of flights from LA.

I fly between LAX and San Diego fairly often.  There are two airlines 
that offer flights at least every hour throughout the day.  During 
some periods the flights are every half hour.  You can generally 
connect in LAX without going through security again (unless arriving 
into LAX on an international flight).

It doesn't really work to apply typical logic to airline fares.  That 
is, you can't predict a fare based on distance or number of 
connections.  While it can be expensive to purchase a separate ticket 
between SAN and LAX, this is rarely done.  Usually a the fare is from 
point A to SAN and back.  In some cases it is slightly more than from 
point A to LAX and back, but often it is less.  Sometimes it is a lot 
less.  I'd be willing to believe that there are cases where it is a 
lot more, but I haven't personally seen them.

I'm a great believer in the train between SAN and LA, by the way. 
I've taken it a number of times and always prefer it to driving. 
Note that for a slight extra charge you can get an upgrade to 'custom 
class' where you get a larger seat, a power outlet, and something 
called a snack.  There are terrific views of the pacific ocean and 
beaches during the latter half of the trip, and for much of it the 
train is right on the sand.

The immigration checkpoint seems to be dormant for a year or so now. 
The electronic pass lanes have been turned off, the signs warning you 
to be prepared to stop have been removed, the officers standing in 
the lanes inspecting cars are gone.  The main structure is still 
there, and there are still border patrol cars at the sides, but 
that's it.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
As you know, any depiction of nasal mucus brings with it problems for
our sales division.
    --ABC's Broadcast Standards & Practices board, to producers of the
    cartoon "Bump in the Night"

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:05:50 -0400

Hello;

On Aug 17, 2006, at 8:44 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:

> I fly between LAX and San Diego fairly often.  There are two  
> airlines that offer flights at least every hour throughout the  
> day.  During some periods the flights are every half hour.  You can  
> generally connect in LAX without going through security again  
> (unless arriving into LAX on an international flight).
>
> It doesn't really work to apply typical logic to airline fares.   
> That is, you can't predict a fare based on

Truer words were never typed.

> distance or number of connections.  While it can be expensive to  
> purchase a separate ticket between SAN and LAX, this is rarely  
> done.  Usually a the fare is from point A to SAN and back.  In some  
> cases it is slightly more than from point A to LAX and back, but  
> often it is less.  Sometimes it is a lot less.  I'd be willing to  
> believe that there are cases where it is a lot more, but I haven't  
> personally seen them.
>

When I have seen be a lot more is at the last minute from the East  
Coast (alas, the form of
much of my business travel). All I am saying is, if the last minute  
fare to San Diego is too pricey, try LAX or
Long Beach or John Wayne and consider the drive.

Of course, no one who lives in the LA basin is likely to need our  
help on how to get to San Diego, so I was thinking about people  
flying in from far away.

> Note that for a slight extra charge you can get an upgrade to  
> 'custom class' where you get a larger seat, a power outlet, and  
> something called a snack.  There are terrific views of the pacific  
> ocean and beaches during the latter half of the trip, and for much  
> of it the train is right on the sand.

I have heard that this is one of the best train trips in the US, and  
I have always wanted to take it, especially at Sunset. Can you get it  
near the coast (more specifically, near one of the 3 coastal  
airports), or do you have to go all the way to Union Station ?

>
> The immigration checkpoint seems to be dormant for a year or so  
> now. The electronic pass lanes have been turned off, the signs  
> warning you to be prepared to stop have been removed, the officers  
> standing in the lanes inspecting cars are gone.  The main structure  
> is still there, and there are still border patrol cars at the  
> sides, but that's it.

Interesting, given other news.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:12:31 -0700

At 1:05 AM -0400 8/18/06, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

>  I have heard that this is one of the best train trips in the US, 
> and I have always wanted to take it, especially at Sunset. Can you 
> get it near the coast (more specifically, near one of the 3 coastal 

I can't speak to it being one of the best train trips in the U.S. 
(but considering how much the U.S. train system has deteriorated, I 
wouldn't be surprised).  This train is called the Pacific Surfliner, 
by the way.  It has double-decker cars, so you can ride upstairs if 
you like.  There is also a club car (a sort of cafe) which has swivel 
seats that face the side, for more comfortable viewing.

Most of the trains originate at Union Station in Los Angeles, but 
there are a small number that start further north.  You could connect 
to these from Burbank Airport.  Between LA and San Diego, there are 
several stops, including Irvine and Santa Ana, to which you could get 
a cab, shuttle, or car service from SNA (Orange County John Wayne 
Airport).

There is an Orange County operated commuter rail service (called 
Metrolink) that you could also take from Burbank Airport, Irvine, or 
Santa Ana.  You could connect from it to Amtrak at any of several 
stops, including Oceanside.  At Oceanside, the San Diego County 
commuter rail line starts (called the Coaster), which you could take 
to San Diego.  Both of the county-operated lines use double-decker 
cars.  The county lines stop at more places, which can give you more 
options, but also takes longer.

The Coaster has a stop in San Diego where you can pick up the San 
Diego trolley, which goes to the Mexican border, as well as to 
several places in the San Diego area.

Note that checked baggage service is only available on a few of the 
Amtrak trains.

The Amtrak timetable is available here: 
<http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/apr06/W31.pdf>

Information on the Orange County commuter rail (Metrolink) is 
available here: <http://www.metrolinktrains.com>

Information on the San Diego County commuter rail (Coaster and 
trolley) is available here: <http://www.sdcommute.com/>.

If you'd like to stop off at the beach, there are several choices. 
The San Clemente station is right at the pier.  The Solana Beach 
station serves Amtrak and the Coaster, and is walking distance to the 
beach.  Of course, in November it will be too cold to actually go for 
a swim, but still it is nice to walk around.  You could even stay a 
day or two at a beach city and relax.

-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon.  Buy the negatives
at any price.