Subject: One Mistake and One Question of RFC2812.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:19:40 +0800

Hello,

I am only a Chinese student.And my English is lame.
So sorry for my lame English,at first.

I found a mistake in rfc2812.I think you could fix this.

At the page 5 of the protocol,

=======<quotation>======================================

"The presence of a prefix is indicated with a single leading ASCII
colon character (':', 0x3b),....."
======================================================================

The code of the letter ':' is 0x3a.It is not 0x3b.And the code 0x3b is
the letter ';'.
And you could find the same mistake in rfc2813 what is the next
version of the protocol.
I do feel you should fix this mistake.

And I have a question of the protocol rfc2812.

At the page 5 of rfc2812,

In "2.3.1 Message format in Augmented BNF".

I couldn't understand what's the meaning of "*".

=======<quotation>======================================

The Augmented BNF representation for this is:

    message    =  [ ":" prefix SPACE ] command [ params ] crlf
    prefix     =  servername / ( nickname [ [ "!" user ] "@" host ] )
    command    =  1*letter / 3digit
    params     =  *14( SPACE middle ) [ SPACE ":" trailing ]
               =/ 14( SPACE middle ) [ SPACE [ ":" ] trailing ]

    nospcrlfcl =  %x01-09 / %x0B-0C / %x0E-1F / %x21-39 / %x3B-FF
                    ; any octet except NUL, CR, LF, " " and ":"
    middle     =  nospcrlfcl *( ":" / nospcrlfcl )
    trailing   =  *( ":" / " " / nospcrlfcl )

    SPACE      =  %x20        ; space character
    crlf       =  %x0D %x0A   ; "carriage return" "linefeed"
======================================================================

I think it is different between the "*" in "command" and the "*" in "middle".
I do feel you should get some explanation of the "*","()","[]",and so on or
show us where can we find the explantion.

That is what I want to tell you.Wait for you answer.

Yours.

Huang Xiangkui,a student from China.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:43:44 +0200

Hello,

The RFC Editor already knows the error in RFC2812 but not in RFC2813.
See http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata.html. Please tell the RFC
Editor about the error in RFC2813.

Please see RFC4234 for the full definition of Augmented BNF.
Section 3.6 explains * .

Thanks

Brian  Carpenter
IETF Chair