Subject: RE: 25th Anniversary!

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:16:27 -0700 (PDT)

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

  *> Or perhaps the lesson should be that planning for the transition is as important as the end state.

Please see RFC 801, "NCP/TCP TRANSITION PLAN" by Jon Postel.

See also RFCs 845 and 846 on the transition progress.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:05:57 -0400

I was the person who wrote the IMP code and, on January 1, "pulled the
switch" to disable port 0 (NCP) on the ARPANET IMP interfaces.  I had also
included the abiltity to override the switch on a port-by-port basis, and we
had a procedure in place well prior to the cutover for approved exceptions
to the no-NCP policy.  A good number of hosts made the deadline, although
the exception list did grow in the first few days of 1983 as some people
realized that they had ignored the cutover for too long, but as I recall the
exception list quickly shrank, and by the end of the year there were very
few NCP-only hosts left.  There was certainly some amount of pain involved,
but NCP would have hung around for much longer if the switchover hadn't been
enforced.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:20:18 -0700 (PDT)

OK, Andy. Can we put you in charge of the IP v4/v6 transition, say 
January 1, 2009?

:-)

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:43:50 -0400

Ole,

That's a good one!  I would hate to see the length of that exception list
.... :-)  And who would have the authority to grant the exceptions????

Cheers,
Andy

---------

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:48:50 -0700

> OK, Andy. Can we put you in charge of the IP v4/v6 transition, say 

That soon?

That's only 15 years after work on IPv6 began.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net