Subject: RFC/Protocol Quantification

From: Sreevathsa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:04:59 -0700

Hi,
I tried posting this on the IETF newsgroup, but found that the group
was stale, hence posting it to this id.

I was thinking about methods to quantify a protocol's conformity to
its RFC. What could be the possible metrics that I could consider
while quantifying the conformity of any protocol's implementation to
its RFC?

Let me make myself more clear with an example: Lets say I am
validating a particular TCP implementation on a server. I need to see
how much of the TCP implementation is in accord with RFC 793. After
the analysis of implementaion, once I know what parts of the RFC is
implemented and what part of it is not, I need to come up with a
number and say
something like, 93% of TCP implementation on this server is in
agreement with RFC 793 and 7% of it is not!

So to quantify like this, I should have some metrics to weigh a given
RFC. Does anyone have any idea as to how any given RFC could be
divided into various components and then assigned a weightage which
could then be used as a reference to check other implemenations??

Some of the components that I have in mind are:
1. Packet structure
2. Query format
3. State transitions

If someone has ideas in this regard, I will be very much willing to
know about it.

---------
Thanks,
Sreevathsa

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf