Subject: Re: [Ltru] IANA XML registries

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:31:07 +0200

At 02:41 20/09/2006, David Conrad wrote:
Yes, IANA is undertaking to convert all our registries over to XML.
>We'll be doing this in an incremental fashion of course, starting
>with a few of the simpler registries, getting feedback from people,
>revising and doing more registries, getting feedback, etc. until
>everything is converted over.  Part of this project will also be to
>generate "legacy" registries from the XML in formats that are as
>close to what exists now as we can easily manage (in an undoubtedly
>vain attempt to try to limit the screams of outrage from the poor
>souls who have hacked software to deal with the existing registries).
>
>We anticipate having the first set of registries (and various backend
>systems we use internally) done by sometime around the beginning of
>2007.  A more formal announcement of this effort will probably be
>made at the San Diego IETF.  I'm happy to answer any questions folk
>might have...

Dear David,
this is good news! Do you have a completion date in mind? Do you take 
advantage of this to make them ISO 11179 conformant? Will it be 
organised as a computable ontology? Will you adopt a Dublin Core 
approach? Will you include a secure update announcement list? Will 
you include a consistency check solution for comparing two versions 
of a registry? Will you include a daily distributed status of these 
checks to avoid millions of unnecessary down loads. Will you include 
a single IANA procedure for registry management and review (mailing 
list, reviewer, appeals, cross registry consistency, CVS). Will you 
support a multilingual approach? Have you planned a distributed 
dissemination mechanism? Have you planned a procedure/hooks for 
personal extensions?

All this fits in our own MDRS project (multilingual distributed 
referential system) delayed for to years by the interoperability of 
its langroot core building block. We need to know if we can avoid to 
build a duplicate system and may rely on an IETF/IANA standardised 
one, avoiding to go "somewhere else" as proposed by Harald, specially 
to support the size and the load of the language registries he 
discusses (when the first langtags consistency checkers make a wget 
of the IANA Languages registry - soon a 1000 pages file).

I repeat my suggestion of an IETF WG-MDR to address a generalised 
registry management doctrine, the IANA would be the test-bed in the 
testing way you describe, with the entire IETF community to pile 
expertise and experience over it.
Cheers.
jfc

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf