Subject: RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process ratherthansome

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:28:49 -0700

> From: Joel M. Halpern [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> I doubt that in the brief consideration based on your note I 
> have found all of the problems.

Obviously. As Winston Churchill once remarked, "Democracy is the worst possible system of government, except for all the others".

The problem with the current scheme is precisely when people use the power of incumbency to advance arguments like the one you just gave. In particular a certain individual made essentially the same argument to trump a technical discussion and as a result DNSSEC was put back by five years.

Either argue your case or don't. Asserting that you believe you could find an argument but are too lazy to do so is hardly persuasive.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:35:41 -0400

At 09:28 PM 9/14/2006, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

>Obviously. As Winston Churchill once remarked, "Democracy is the 
>worst possible system of government, except for all the others".
>
>
>The problem with the current scheme is precisely when people use the 
>power of incumbency to advance arguments like the one you just gave. 
>In particular a certain individual made essentially the same 
>argument to trump a technical discussion and as a result DNSSEC was 
>put back by five years.
>
>Either argue your case or don't. Asserting that you believe you 
>could find an argument but are too lazy to do so is hardly persuasive.

I raised several specific objections to your view, which you have 
chosen not to respond to here.  The comment you quote was not 
intended as an argument you should (or as you observe could) respond 
to, but rather as an indication taht I would not be surprised if 
there were additional issues beyond the ones I raised that would also 
need to be discussed.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern