Subject: RFC Editor Letter of Intent

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:47:25 -0500

The IAOC is pleased to announce that it has signed a Letter of Intent 
with the University of Southern California to negotiate an agreement for 
the Information Sciences Institute to undertake a new term as the RFC 
Editor.  Assuming an agreement on contract terms and conditions can be 
reached, the contract would begin on January 1, 2007 and run for two 
years, with an option for an additional year.

As you may recall the IAOC received three bids in response to the RFP 
let in July.  The IAOC thoroughly reviewed the competing proposals, 
including teleconference meetings with all the respondants, evaluation 
of responses to skills
demonstrations, consideration of the strengths and weaknesses of the 
respondents in terms of the many tasks laid out in the RFP's SoW, and 
pricing.

The IAOC started this process seeking to ensure consistent and 
professional support for the continuation of the RFC series publication, 
to support the IAB's goal for improved community involvement in the RFC 
series direction as described in draft-iab-rfc-editor, and a more 
efficient, less costly operation.

The IAOC has determined the best path forward to achieve a balance of 
those goals is to proceed with ISI for RFC Editor services, except for 
copyediting services, which will be managed by IASA in a separate 
contract(s).

In 2006 the RFC Editor turned the corner on performance - eliminating 
the backlog, improving processing times and delivering record setting 
production of RFCs.   Based on ISI's thoughtful and constructive 
response to the competitive RFP, we are anticipating an important change 
in the trend of costs, as well, with an improvement in 2007 over 2006, 
and a larger reduction of costs in 2008.

After briefing the IAB, as part of the IAB's RFC Editor oversight role, 
and obtaining their support for this direction, the IAOC has engaged in 
further negotiations with ISI and relevant copy-editing contractors.

It is anticipated that contracts will be executed in early December.

It is the IAOC's understanding and expectation that the IAB will 
complete draft-iab-rfc-editor and commit to the model of engagement with 
the RFC Editor and Internet community outlined in it.  In particular, 
the IAOC would like the IAB, RFC Editor and the community to work 
together to clearly document the component pieces of the RFC series 
support (e.g., possibly separating the RFC Editor and RFC Publisher 
functions) so that the IAOC can more effectively compete appropriate 
task groups independently at the end of this contract term.

Ray Pelletier
IAD

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf