Subject: [OT] Looking for a program which generates binary formats decoders from a high-level description

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:10:48 +0100

I know, it is off-topic, but this is Xmas so everyone loves everyone
and helps them :-) And there are many programmers here and I do not
see where to ask otherwise.

I'm looking for a program which would allow to:

* someone describes a binary format (MPEG, PNG, tcpdump's trace, an
OSPF packet, whatever) in a DSL (domain-specific language). Unlike
ASN/1, this DSL would describe not only the data model but also the
actual layout of the fields.

* the program translates this description into a decoder (for instance
in C but other languages are under consideration).

* the decoder, available as a library, reads the binary file, checks
the values and fills in data structures of the program.

On Sourceforge, I've found only very alpha tools like:

http://file-spector.sourceforge.net/ (and it misses the DSL, you have
to describe the binary format with a GUI)

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf