Subject: Re: IETF Last Call ondraft-barany-eap-gee-04.txt

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:06:04 -0800

>From what I understand, the 3GPP2 lower layer definition is still in 
progress, but there has been no liaison request from 3GPP2 to IETF to review 
it.  From the document, I wasn't clear to me if GEE is included in the 3GPP2 
lower layer definition.  Presumably it would have to be in order to work 
with 3GPP2.

It also seems a bit awkward for me for IANA to administer parameters within 
the 3GPP2 lower layer.  This would be like IETF maintaining a registry for 
IEEE 802.1X,  IEEE 802.11i or IEEE 802.16e.  What happens if 3GPP2 decides 
to allocate a parameter but there is an issue which holds this up?

I would agree that the best process would probably be for 3GPP2 to make the 
lower layer specification available and request IETF review. Portions could 
be published as an Informational RFC for the benefit of the  community, but 
it would be clear that ownership resided in 3GPP2.

Yoshi Obha said:

>If we agree that EAP GEE is part of a 3GPP2 EAP lower layer, wouldn't
>it be more appropriate to standarize EAP GEE within 3GPP2, with
>utilizing this EAP WG review as peer review as we have done for IEEE
>802.16e and 802.1aa?
>
>Also, according to the IANA considerations section, IETF Review will
>be needed for allocating new values for Version, TID and RFL fields.
>If this is standardized within 3GPP2, there will be no need to come to
>IETF to ask new values for these fields.
>
>Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf