Subject: Re: ion-ion-format open for public comment

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:22:35 +0100

Brian Carpenter wrote:
 
> Please see
> http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/ions/drafts/ion-ion-format.txt

It says "text or html", but ion-ion-store is perfectly valid XHTML.
Is that a problem ?

The HTML output of xml2rfc is rather ugly with my browser, and its
nice unpaginated output doesn't offer meta-data and I18N, tough :-(

The HTML output is apparently also no valid HTML (tested with your
ion-procdoc draft), they forgot &apos; in HTML 4.01, and apparently
<UL> needs a closing </UL> - with HTML I never know, XHTML is KISS.

The SVN access doesn't work yet (authentification fails).

Frank

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:39:59 +0100

Hi Frank,

on 2006-12-16 19:22 Frank Ellermann said the following:
...
> The SVN access doesn't work yet (authentification fails).

I just tried the recommended command:

 $ svn co https://www1.tools.ietf.org/svn/group/iesg/ions

with the following result:

  henrik@shiraz $ svn co https://www1.tools.ietf.org/svn/group/iesg/ions
  Authentication realm: <https://www1.tools.ietf.org:443> IETF
  Password for 'henrik': 
  Authentication realm: <https://www1.tools.ietf.org:443> IETF
  Username: [email-masked]
  Password for [email-masked]': 
  A    ions/dated
  A    ions/dated/ion-ion-format-2006-07-03.txt
  A    ions/dated/ion-ion-store-2006-07-07.txt
  A    ions/drafts
  A    ions/drafts/ion-procdocs.html
  A    ions/drafts/ion-ion-store.html
  A    ions/drafts/ion-ion-format.txt
  A    ions/drafts/ion-procdocs.xml
  Checked out revision 56.

If you have a password for authenticated access on tools.ietf.org
(go to http://tools.ietf.org/newpasswd to get one if you don't have one)
this should work for you.  If it doesn't, I'd very much like to get
details; which svn client you use, etc.; to work out what's wrong.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:29:23 +0100

> It says "text or html", but ion-ion-store is perfectly valid XHTML.

I don't think so, do you?
> <UL> needs a closing </UL> - with HTML I never know, XHTML is KISS.

That is one for the xml2rfc list I think.
> The SVN access doesn't work yet (authentification fails).

And that's the one you're discussing with Henrik.

    Brian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:59:06 +0100

> It says "text or html", but ion-ion-store is perfectly valid XHTML.

IMHO it would be a good idea in the sense of "own dogfood" not to serve 
XHTML content with media type text/html.

> nice unpaginated output doesn't offer meta-data and I18N, tough :-(

I18N?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:58:33 +0100

Julian Reschke wrote:

> IMHO it would be a good idea in the sense of "own dogfood" not to
> serve XHTML content with media type text/html.

Matter of taste, from my POV XHTML 1.0 transitional is the best way
to create backwards compatible (HTML 3.2) content "visible with any
browser".
  
Or as the ion-ion-format draft puts it:  "no fancy features".  If my
old browser sees some real XML it simply starts my text editor... ;-)

> I18N?

Non-ASCII, the xml2rfc "txt" or "unpg" output is ASCII.  The HTML of
rfcmarkup is very nice, but at that point all meta-data and non-ASCII
is already lost.  Maybe xml2rfc should get a new XHTML output option,
not your "dogfod" of course, normal XHTML 1.0 transitional text/html.

Frank

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:15:54 +0100

> not your "dogfod" of course, normal XHTML 1.0 transitional text/html.

Such as with 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#output.xhtml>? 

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:29:20 +0100

> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#output.xhtml>?

I can't tell, is there an online XSLT engine somewhere to test it ?
When I'm able to use IE 6 I'm normally too busy for experiments :-(

Frank

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:53:39 +0100

> When I'm able to use IE 6 I'm normally too busy for experiments :-(

You can use any common browser (Firefox, Opera, IE), or a command line 
tool (xsltproc, Saxon...).

If you insist on an online service, you can try 
<http://www.w3.org/2005/08/online_xslt/> (but that currently dies with 
an NPE...).

Best regards, Julian