Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-mcwalter-langtag-mib (Language Tag MIB) to Proposed Standard

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:46:35 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, The IESG wrote:
> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
> the following document:
>
> - 'Language Tag MIB '
>   <draft-mcwalter-langtag-mib-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The title seems to suggest that the document defines managed
objects for managing language tags, which is not the case.

In order to prevent confusion, I would recommend that the title
be changed to:

A Textual Convention for Representing Language Tags

In the same vein, I would recommend LANGTAG-TC-MIB for the module 
name and langTagTcMIB for the descriptor representing the 
MODULE-IDENTITY value.  Note that these recommendations are 
consistent with the (non-binding) advice in Appendix C of RFC 4181 
(the MIB review guidelines).

//cmh

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "CE Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:14:39 -0500

Hi, the document looks o.k. but this is not my area of expertise
One question (probably a stupid one, but here goes),
What does "This language tag" refer to? in section 3, "Definitions" ??:

"           In theory, BCP 47 language tags are of unlimited length.
            This language tag is of limited length.  The analysis of
            language tag lengths in BCP 47 confirms that this limit
            will not pose a problem in practice.  In particular, this
            length is greater than the minimum requirements set out in
            section 4.3.1."

--C. E. Whitehead
[email-masked]

>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
>[email-masked] mailing lists by 2007-03-08. Exceptionally,
>comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
>retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
>The file can be obtained via
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcwalter-langtag-mib-01.txt
>
>
>IESG discussion can be tracked via
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=15469&rfc_flag=0
>
>Ietf-languages mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_________________________________________________________________
FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo – buy and sell with people 
you know 
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06