Subject: "free standards" [was Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last ...]

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:35:25 -0400 (EDT)

Simon sez:
> According to what definition of 'free standards'?

I agree with the other Scott - please be clear in what you are wanting
to write about 

there seem to be as  many definitions of "free standards" as people
writing about them - my definition revolves around how much money 
to I have to pay to get a copy of the standard - as in 'the ITU-T
recomendations (a.k.a, standards) used to cost money to get but are now free'
or 'I can download the IETF RFCs from the web for free.'

if you want to write about "standards that have no known patent
licensing requirements" then say that 

(observation: you can not write about "standards that have no patent
licensing requirements" if you are talking about standards less than 
20 years old because there is no way to know if a standard is in that
set)

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf