Subject: Re: [IAOC] Re: Let's look at it from an IETF newbie's perspective... Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:18:12 -0500

On Dec 19, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Matt Mathis wrote:

>> Why not do this for the entire meeting ? In fact, why not do it  
>> for the entire meeting even if there isn't a plenary outage ?

>
> Good idea!, except perhaps 71 is too soon.  How about the plenary
> outage as planed for 71, and the entire IETF after that?
>

I actually had in mind a parallel network, offering only IPv6, but  
with v4 still available on the original network, at least in the  
beginning.

> (Perhaps support IPv4 in the terminal room only, for individuals  
> who don't have enough leverage to move their home institutions.)

I suspect that there are enough good engineers at the plenary to  
route around any artificial restrictions. For example, those with  
Macs and EVD0 cards could easily set up wired or wireless LANs  
offering v4...

>
> The point is not to cause people to debug during the IETF, but to  
> cause people to notice deployment problems and to have them fixed  
> by the following
> IETF.
>

So would it be OK if I set up a high bandwidth multicast HD video  
stream from the plenary ? The IETF used to be
a great tool to help debug multicast problems...

> Thanks,
> --MM--

Regards
Marshall

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> IAOC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iaoc

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf