Subject: FYI - "Examining Actual State of IPv6 Deployment"

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:43:49 -0500

Since there's been so much discussion here of IPv6 here, I thought  
I'd mention a recent post on CircleID.com called "Examining Actual  
State of IPv6 Deployment":

   http://www.circleid.com/posts/81166_actual_state_ipv6_deployment/

The article is by Thomas Kuehne and is a "quick-and-dirty" study he  
did of how many web sites were configured with AAAA records.    
Obviously it's not a comprehensive study, but just another data point  
about the readiness for IPv6 - or not.  I've included the intro to  
the data below.

Enjoy,
Dan

------------

There have been quite a number of recent articles about various IPv6  
issues. Thus the question: how far along is the actual IPv6  
deployment? This is a quick-and-dirty survey that focuses mainly on  
the content provider side.

What domains were surveyed?

Alexa offers country depended TopSites listings. Domains listed are  
frequently visited by users from that country, not necessarily hosted  
there. The data collection is heavily biased towards sites that host  
files referenced from many different places (e.g. advertisement and  
social networks). The data collection is chiefly based on optional  
browser plugins and is as such frequently corrupted (e.g. for Germany  
mail.ru is listed ahead of rtl.de, msn.de and aol.de).

How was IPv6 deployment surveyed?

For each domain the domain name server was asked for IPv4(A) and IPv6 
(AAAA) records for the domain, www.domain, it’s mail exchanges and  
it’s name servers. If an IPv6 record was returned deployment was  
assumed. There was no check if the advised IPv6 actually provided the  
service.

------------

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Bring your web applications to the phone.
Find out how at http://evolution.voxeo.com

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:46:19 -0500

I think that's a pretty bizarre way to measure IPv6 deployment.  The
_last_ applications to support IPv6 will be the widely popular apps that
depend on an extensive infrastructure of servers that are currently
associated with IPv4.  Email and the web both fall into this category.
And as long as a site (practically speaking) has to support SMTP over
IPv4 in order to accept incoming mail, and HTTP over IPv4 in order to
make its web pages readable to most viewers, there's little incentive
for that site to advertise an AAAA record for either server.

Dan York wrote:
> Since there's been so much discussion here of IPv6 here, I thought I'd
> mention a recent post on CircleID.com called "Examining Actual State of
> IPv6 Deployment":
> 
> The article is by Thomas Kuehne and is a "quick-and-dirty" study he did
> of how many web sites were configured with AAAA records.   Obviously
> it's not a comprehensive study, but just another data point about the
> readiness for IPv6 - or not.  I've included the intro to the data below.
> 
> Enjoy,
> Dan

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:48:29 +0100

Dan York skrev:
> mention a recent post on CircleID.com called "Examining Actual State
> of IPv6 Deployment":
>
> about the readiness for IPv6 - or not.  I've included the intro to the
> data below.
Heh. 20% or more of WWW sites announcing IPv6 in *all* countries of the
world is certainly not what I expected.

The sampling technology makes me think it's not measuring what it would
measure at first glance - it seems that the data for Netherlands (for
instance) is gathered from
http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=NL&ts_mode=country&lang=none,
which lists a lot of non-NL sites. So it measures the size of the "IPv6
universe" as seen from that country, not deployment of IPv6 in that country.

Still.... interesting data.

                  Harald

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:43:07 -0800

if you read the ARIN statement on IPv6, you will find that Keith
 is describing the story of how to cook a frog.  soon, (pick your
 favorite study) all IPv4 space will be allocated. For folks who 
 need IP access after that time, IPv6 will be available.  Its those
 (ones and twos) who will need to access you email and web sites over
 IPv6 (or via the IETF depricated NAT-PT or other ALG)... It won't be
 a massive sea-change, it will be a gradual shift.  Those not prepared 
 will see a gradual leveling off of traffic/load - as the IPv6 only clients
 find other places to go to get the services, capabilities, and features
 that they desire.

 so in general, I think that Thos might be on to something.

--bill

-- 
--bill

Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).