Subject: Transition Email Configuration Changes

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:35:37 -0500

There have been some changes in the email configuration that may be 
noticeable to you after the cut-over.

1. We have updated the SPAM filtering of all email.  This change should 
reduce the overall amount of SPAM received by the IETF.
   It is also an opportunity to remind the community of the IETF policy 
regarding SPAM filtering found here:

   http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt

   The point in that policy to be highlighted here is that if a  message 
directed to a mailing list with a public archive is
   determined to be SPAM, it is reasonable and acceptable to discard  
the message.  The originator of the message is responsible for
   checking the public archive to determine if the message was 
distributed or not.  This is particularly true if you are not a
   subscriber of the mailing list in question.

   For mailing lists with private archives the messages are not  
discarded, e.g., for the iesg and iab mailing lists.  The current
   procedure of maintaining a master whitelist of all valid email 
addresses will be continued.  Thus, the first time you send a
   message to the IESG or IAB you will receive a challenge request  to 
which you must respond in order for your message to be
   delivered.  Note that the existing master whitelist has been  carried 
forward so if you have already responded to a challenge
   you are all set.

2. All IAB, IESG, and IRTF email addresses and mailing lists have been 
moved to their respective domains: iab.org, iesg.org,
   irtf.org.

   For example, the IAB email address will be [email-masked] and the IESG 
email address will be [email-masked] after the cut-over.  In
   all cases there will be aliases in the ietf.org domain to forward  
everything appropriately but you may need to update your email
   filters.

   This change is in support of an architectural principle that  
separates services.  The IAB currently has its own web site and
   this is a logical extension of that.  The IESG does not have its  own 
web site, it is currently part of the main IETF web site, but
   after the transition we will be working towards moving them to  their 
own web site.

3. We may need to back fill mailing list archives after the  cut-over.

   Although we will have all mailing list archives we may not get  them 
in place before we restore services.  The primary goal is
   for the down time to be as short as possible.  If we have time we  
will make sure all archives are properly merged but if necessary
   we will delay this task until after the cut-over.  We will let  the 
community know if this is the case in the post-cut-over
   announcement.

4. Mailing list archives will now be found at:  
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/WGACRONYM

   The change here is that the use of the domain name  "www1.ietf.org" 
has been deprecated.  Of course a CNAME record
   will remain in the DNS indefinitely but you should review any  
bookmarks you may have to see if they need to be updated.

If you notice any other issues or experience any other problems, please 
do report it immediately to [email-masked].  Be sure to
include enough information to ensure the problem can be reproduced.

Thanks.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrator

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf