Subject: [Fwd: [PICISOC] Happy 25th TCP/IP]

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:10:59 +1200

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[PICISOC] Happy 25th TCP/IP
Date: 	Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:00:23 +1200
From: 	Rajnesh D. Singh <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked], Pacific Islands Chapter of the
Internet Society Discussion List <[email-masked]>
Organization: 	pacificIT.org
To: 	Pacific Islands Chapter of the Internet Society Discussion List
<[email-masked]>

  Happy 25th, TCP/IP

      TCP/IP marks 25 years since the ARPANET switchover

Believe it or not, it has been a mere 25 years since TCP/IP walked into 
our lives and changed them forever.

It was Jan. 1, 1983, when Internet precursor ARPANET switched over fully 
to TCP/IP. TCP/IP is so well-known that it's one of those acronyms we no 
longer spell out at Network World, but in honor of the date, we should 
address this underappreciated and taken-for-granted bit of engineering 
by its full name, Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol.

The occasion was largely missed by the mainstream press, but Google 
honored the anniversary on Tuesday with its logo - reproduced here 
<http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-01-01-n53.html> - though you might 
easily have thought all that confetti was simply for the New Year. 
Blogger Philipp Lenssen writes that clicking on the "Google Doodle" logo 
led to a search result for the query "January 1 tcp/ip".

Apparently, sharp eyes also found an "easter egg" in the confetti in the 
Google logo, which apparently read "SYN SYN/ ACK ACK," according to 
Lenssen - an "inside joke" for the network geek set.

Work on the protocol actually began about a decade earlier than 1983, 
and several versions were hashed out before the ARPANET switchover. Vint 
Cerf and Robert Kahn were credited for the invention and were later 
awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Full article here:
http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/lans/2008/1231lan2.html?nlhtarch=ts_010308&nladname=010308networkarchitectureal

-- 

Kind regards,

Rajnesh D. Singh

COO, PATARA  www.patarapacific.com
Chair, ICANN Asia Pacific Regional At-Large Organisation  www.apralo.org
Chairman, Pacific Islands Chapter, Internet Society  www.picisoc.org
President, IPv6 Forum Pacific Islands  www.ipv6forumpacific.org
Director, Pacific Internet Technology Centre  www.pacificit.org

310 Princes Road   Tamavua   Suva   Fiji
Tel: +679 332 0606    Fax: +679 332 0800

Read my ramblings at http://singh-a-blog.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
PICISOC members discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
Unsubscription and other options:
http://picisoc.org/mailman/listinfo/picisoc_picisoc.org
PICISOC Web site:
http://www.picisoc.org/

-- 
Franck Martin
ICT Specialist
[email-masked]
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf