Subject: RFC 4693 Experiment Conclusion

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:39:25 -0700 (PDT)

The IETF Operational Notes (IONs) experiment has concluded.  The IESG  
has determined that IONs will not be used in the future.  It is clear  
that the IESG, IAB, and IAOC need the ability to publish documents  
that do not expire and are easily updated.  Information published as  
web pages, including IESG Statements, are sufficient for this  
purpose.  The IESG intends to employ some form of version control so  
that previous versions of IESG Statements will be available on line.

As specified in RFC 4693, the existing ION documents now have the  
same status as any other Web page or file on the IETF servers.   
Accordingly, the IONs that were developed during the experiment will  
be republished as follows:
  + ion-ad-sponsoring will be published as an IESG Statement
  + ion-agenda-and-minutes will be published as a web page
  + ion-discuss-criteria will be published as an IESG Statement
  + ion-ion-format will be discarded
  + ion-ion-store will be discarded
  + ion-procdocs will be published as a web page
  + ion-rfc-2026-in-practice has already been published as an I-D
  + ion-tsv-alt-cc will be published as an IESG Statement

The IESG has also recommended that the following documents be  
republished as IAOC web pages:
  + ion-execd-tasks
  + ion-meeting-network-requirements
  + ion-subpoena

The discussion on the appropriate type of document for the ion-discuss-
criteria will continue.  The decision that this particular ION become
an IESG Statement at this point in time is not intended to forecast the
outcome of this discussion; rather, it is a fulfillment of the statement
in RFC 4693, which says:

   If the IESG decides that the feedback warrants terminating the
   series, the repository will be closed for new documents, and the
   existing ION documents will be returned to having the same status as
   any other Web page or file on the IETF servers -- this situation will
   closely resemble the situation before the experiment started.

Much thanks to the ION authors and the people that provided comments
on the experiment.

On behalf of the IESG,
  Russ Housley

_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf