Subject: RE: Query

From: "Gupta, Kapil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:05:17 +0530

Hi Michelle,

 I have few questions more:

1)       Is port registration is platform dependent? We have our
services running on Windows, Linux and Mac OS (obviously different
binaries to server different OS's). Does registering one port for all
the service (For example: port 7001 for windows, Linux and Mac services)
will suffice all requirements or it will require to submit three
applications/forms for each binary/Platform?

2)       What is the validity period for the registered port? Do we need
to renew the port registration process if it is valid for some fix
amount of time or it is valid for life long?

Regards,

Kapil

________________________________

From: Michelle Cotton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:15 AM
To: Gupta, Kapil
Subject: Re: Query

There is no fee.
It can be done as quickly as a few days if the application form is
complete and there is sufficient information to show the need for a
unique assigned port number.

Best regards,

Michelle Cotton
IANA

On 3/25/08 8:37 PM, "Gupta, Kapil" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Thanks a lot Michelle.
 
I have a question related. How long it take to register a port for an
application? Is there any monetary policy?
 
Thank you
Kapil

________________________________

From: Michelle Cotton [mailto:[email-masked]]
<mailto:[email-masked]%5d>  
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:55 AM
To: Gupta, Kapil; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Query

Yes.

For ports specifically see
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

Most registrations with individuals listed as the contact applied
directly to IANA.
Other registrations were made through publication of RFCs.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
IANA

On 3/25/08 6:16 AM, "Gupta, Kapil" <[email-masked]> wrote:
Good Day All,
 
I have a question. Did any one try to register any port for his/their
application/service through IANA?
 
Please help.
 
Thank You,
Kapil

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission 
may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected 
from disclosure. If you have received this communication in 
error, please notify us immediately by replying to this 
message and deleting it from your computer without copying 
or disclosing it.

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission 
may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected 
from disclosure. If you have received this communication in 
error, please notify us immediately by replying to this 
message and deleting it from your computer without copying 
or disclosing it.

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission 
may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected 
from disclosure. If you have received this communication in 
error, please notify us immediately by replying to this 
message and deleting it from your computer without copying 
or disclosing it.

_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf