Subject: Re: experiments in the ietf week

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:09:40 -0400

Jari:

 > Challenge for our IT folks: Internationalized Internet Drafts,
 > including file names. Doable?

Six or seven years ago we had a big discussion regarding the 
language(s) to be used in the IETF.  Harald was IETF Chair when this 
discussion took place, and he declared the consensus to be that the 
IETF would use on language: English.

I do think it would be useful to look at representing author names 
according to the individual's preference.  However, I do not think 
that non-English file names are consistent with the consensus that was reached.

Russ

_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:12:36 +1300

On 2008-03-16 02:09, Russ Housley wrote:
> according to the individual's preference. 

And addresses. And there's also the question of useful examples
in drafts discussing I18N issues.

> However, I do not think 

Agreed; I think there are too many practical problems in that,
that really aren't ours to solve.

draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs talked about this. An experiment wouldn't be
hard, and doesn't need a plenary...

   Brian