Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-imapext-sort (INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - SORT AND THREAD EXTENSIONS) to Proposed Standard

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:32:16 +0100

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:26:44AM -0800,
 Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 162 lines which said:

> The actual correct collation, assuming(!) surname-first collation and 
> Latin character ordering(!!), is:
...
> due to where the surname is located in various cultures.

Is it a good idea to sort on the ordering of the sender's culture? If
the ordering is to be useful for the human user, it should be
according the receiver's culture, no?

_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:49:19 +0100

Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
>  Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> wrote a message of 162 lines which said:
>
>>  The actual correct collation, assuming(!) surname-first collation 
>>  and Latin character ordering(!!), is:
> ...

There's support for that. You have to read a few drafts and RFCs, though.

The draft in question defines a sort command and some sort keys, and it 
permits defining more sort keys. Other documents allow defining 
collations (sort orders) and using them im IMAP.

Sorting by From field the way most MUAs do requires defining a new 
collation and a new sort key, since this draft's "from" key uses only 
the localpart ('arnt' in the case of this message). Personally I think 
that sort key isn't at all fortunate, but it's too late to change that. 
There's decade-old running code already and the most important thing is 
to document the deployed extension.

Arnt

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:00:25 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> according the receiver's culture, no?

My answer to this question is "yes to all of the above".

That is, a truly correct collation uses knowledge of both the sender's 
culture *AND* the receiver's culture; and the ways that these interact are 
not necessarily obvious.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf