Subject: Re: IETF Last Call on Walled Garden Standard for the Internet

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:45:09 -0700

It occurs to me that a protocol of this type might well have been used to effect by the recently reired governor of a nearby state to ensure that his communications were in strict compliance with certain regulations that enforce certain geographic routing restrictions.

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Fred Baker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, March 13, 2008 03:58 PM Pacific Standard Time
To:	Bernard Aboba
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: IETF Last Call on Walled Garden Standard for the Internet

On Mar 13, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) has further compounded  
> the problem by creating interoperable standards for security, which  
> have enabled hosts on the Internet to protect traffic end-to-end or  
> hop-by-hop. This has not only harmed vendor profitability by  
> requiring vendors to interoperate with each other, but by enabling  
> users to take ownership of their own security without the approval  
> of operators or governmental authorities, criminal activity,  
> terrorism, and juvenile delinquincy have flourished.
>
> While these issues have long been recognized by the U.N. Working  
> Group on Internet Governance, until recently, the IETF has shown  
> little interest in solving these problems.

I'm hoping this comment is tongue-in-cheek.

If not, I'd encourage you to review http://www.arcchart.com/blueprint/ 
show.asp?id=428. I'll quote its final paragraph here:

> The culmination of attractive data pricing, improved usability and  
> mobile demand for Web 2.0 services, together with increased  
> availability of 3G devices is brewing to form the prefect data  
> storm - a tipping point where the majority of a subscriber base  
> accesses the data network with regularity. This is something which  
> operators like Vodafone have fought hard to achieve but, while they  
> have deployed the networks and supplied the devices, it is not  
> their walled-gardens or headline-grabbing media partnerships which  
> are causing the data winds to blow. It is the likes of MySpace,  
> Facebook, Google, Flickr, Jaiku, YouTube and Flirtomatic which are  
> seeding the stirring clouds. As data pricing erodes along the same  
> path travelled by voice, operators must now identify ways to tap  
> into revenues from web services or else be left exposed when the  
> data hurricane arrives.
>

In essence, it reviews Vodaphone's semi-annual numeric announcement  
in November, and concludes that the growth of Vodaphone - which is  
very nice, includes a 7% increase in voice revenue, a 9% increase in  
SMS revenue, and 49% growth in data revenue, the vast majority of  
which does not derive from Vodaphone's walled garden. One data point  
is just that - anecdotal evidence. But it points in a direction that  
market research analysts throughout the industry (such as were  
discussed in Marshall Eubank's talk this evening) are also pointing.

Since when are walled garden vendors (like I-Mode, which failed as a  
business last year after delivering one of the most-used walled  
gardens to date) shooting any feet but their own in promoting walled  
gardens?
_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf