Subject: Review of draft-ietf-sipping-policy-package-05

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:27:35 +0300

Folks,

I was asked by IESG to review this document, and I am sharing my review
on this list.  Overall, this document is clearly ready for publication.
It is well-written, unambiguous, and to-the-point.  I have one technical
comment below that I believe should be addressed, plus one editorial
comment.

Technical

- The document assumes in some places that a policy server can
   coordinate the lifetime of a policy subscription with the lifetime
   of a session.  E.g., section 3.4 ("Subscription Duration") seems to
   make this assumption.  However, there is no way for a policy server
   to determine the lifetime of a session.  Although a subscription
   request may contain an estimate for the session subscription, this
   estimate may, of course, be off from the real session lifetime.

   The question is whether the lack of coordination between policy  
server
   and session peers can result in issues.  I don't believe it can, but
   the document should explain why.  Note that means for such
   coordination do exist:  A possible coordination mechanism would have
   been to use short subscription lifetimes that session peers
   periodically refresh until their session terminates.

Editorial

- Section 3.2 ("Event Package Parameters") identifies the package
   parameters for the newly defined event package.  Right now, the
   section refers to a set of other sections where the use of a given
   parameter is defined.  It may, however, be useful for the reader to
   get a one-sentence summary of the purpose of a given parameter
   already in section 3.2.  Suggest to augment section 3.2 in this
   manner.

Best regards,
- Christian

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf