Subject: Old IETF Articles on Google News

From: "Donald Eastlake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:53:25 -0400

So, a while ago a news article appeared on Google News as apparently
current but, when you actually looked at it, was a six year old
article about United Airlines filing for bankruptcy. UAL stock lost
$1B in value before the confusion was straightened out.

It's not that bad but right now if you do a Google News search for
"IETF" you find two articles listed with the claimed date of 15
September 2008 in the summary but where the articles are actually
quite a bit older. One is about Brian Carpenter becoming IETF chair
and the article is actually from 2005. The outer is about the IETF and
ITU re MPLS and is actually from 2007...

I'll paste them down below so you can see what they look like in the
Google news search results,

Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

Briton appointed chair of IETF
ZDNet UK, UK - Sep 15, 2008
The Internet Society has announced that Brian Carpenter has been
appointed the next chair of the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF), the body ...

Standards spat could cause MPLS downtime
ZDNet UK, UK - Sep 15, 2008
The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) has locked horns with the
International Telecommunication Union (ITU) over future MPLS
(Multi-Protocol Label ...
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:35:52 -0500

On 10/12/08 at 10:53 PM -0400, Donald Eastlake wrote:

>  if you do a Google News search for "IETF" you find two articles 
>listed with the claimed date of 15 September 2008 in the summary but 
>where the articles are actually quite a bit older.

They are both from ZDNet UK. I suspect that whatever it is that 
Google News does to determine new articles was tickled in some way by 
ZDNet UK. Probably worth a report to the Google News people to take a 
look at their algorithm.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf