Subject: TLS authz licensing problem

From: Marek Kubica <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 00:41:57 +0100

Hello,

I'm writing you this mail because I read the following article written
by the Free Software Foundation:
<http://www.fsf.org/news/reoppose-tls-authz-standard/newsitem_view>

Having read this I couldn't agree more to what they say: the IETF work
is useful for the entire Internet and we would love to see sane, clear
standards which help fixing problems and encouraging communication and
information exchange between people and software based on standards.
As a programmer of free software I wouldn't want to use standards which
are patent-encumbered and expose myself to the threats of being sued by
RedPhone as well as I wouldn't want to get a license from them just to
be able to implement an (hopefully) open standard.

Therefore, I urge you to reconsider the TLS authorization standard and
hope for a proposal that both corporations and authors of free software
can use without fear of legal issues.

regards,
Marek Kubica