Subject: Comments on proposed TLS Authorisation Standard

From: "Alan Lord (The Open Learning Centre)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:32:13 +0000

I am saddened to hear about the plans to move the TLS Authorisation 
specification to a Proposed Standard.

Being encumbered with patents will severely restrict the ability for 
this standard to be deployed in the same manner with which other very 
successful non-encumbered standards of the IETF have done so in the past.

Not only will it limit it's use to those organisations which can afford, 
or will politically accept, to license the relevant technologies, but it 
will also, in my opinion, cast a very dark shadow over the IETF. A body 
that has been a shining light in the world of Open and publicly 
accessible standards in the past.

Please consider this request and think carefully about what it is you 
are risking.

Yours Sincerely

Alan Lord

-- 
Director
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7764 576505
Tel: +44 (0)844 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55