Subject: RedPhone Patent On TLS Authorization

From: Denis Combs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 00:56:01 +0000

Please Sir, I do not believe that using patented code or components within TLS 
Authorization protocols or Standards is at all a good idea, and I strongly 
disapprove of the proposal for a standard for TLS by RedPhone that would use 
such patents.

I believe that approval of such a standard could potentially hold to ransom 
developers of Free/Open Software and force users and developers alike into 
using proprietory, closed and potentially costly solutions where such 
standards were in use.

I also believe that at a time when the technologically rich nations are 
reaching out to the 3rd world and nations under the yolk of oppression with 
promises of the potential of technology and the use of the internet that the 
burdon of patented standards and protocols will not encourage the use of 
such.  The effects of this may potentially threaten the security of those who 
would seek to be protected by, or given voice, by such standards.

I also believe that such a patent encumbered standard would be against the 
spirit of the World Wide Web and the internet in general.

-- 

D. Combs. UK.