Subject: Current mailbombing is instigated by FSF

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 23:55:28 +0100

http://www.fsf.org/news/reoppose-tls-authz-standard

While I have a lot of sympathy for the cause, I have very little  
sympathy for the methods.
Rendering a mailing list that might be useful for actually resolving  
the issue inoperative by a "campaign" is idiotic.
Somebody from I* (the IETF chair may not be the right person this  
time) should call them and explain that this is not the way to win  
friends and impress people.

Gruesse, Carsten

PS: kill-filing messages CCed to [email-masked] might help a bit.   
I don't know if the procedures allow to do this at the mailing list  
level.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:46:09 -0500

>>>>> "Carsten" == Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> writes:
    Carsten> http://www.fsf.org/news/reoppose-tls-authz-standard

    Carsten> While I have a lot of sympathy for the cause, I have very
    Carsten> little sympathy for the methods.  Rendering a mailing list

  It's an IETF last call.
  This is what we are supposed to do.
  The IETF is not a closed organization.

  The IETF should be *thrilled* that so many people care!

-- 
]     Y'avait une poule de jammé dans l'muffler!!!!!!!!!        |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:43:24 +0100

>  The IETF should be *thrilled* that so many people care!

In a world with unlimited time, yes.  In the real world, polluting the  
discourse by hundreds of more or less unconsidered knee-jerk reactions  
just makes sure that *I* can't take part in it meaningfully, and that  
is probably true of most bandwidth-limited IETFers.

Of course people care about the damage done to society by software  
patents.  More so, many IETFers do.  Please read Noel's recent message  
about how much the cause is helped by a mail-bombing "campaign".

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: TSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:57:15 -0800

> sympathy for the methods.
I have NO sympathy for the cause.
> I don't know if the procedures allow to do this at the mailing list 
Boy do I agree with you - The creation of a standard *** should *** have 
nothing to do with IP rights or licensing. The creation of any standard 
should JUST be based on whether proper vetting happened and whether the 
minimum number of ports was created and formally tested for 
interoperability. Anyone - and I mean ANYONE should be able to get a 
Standard by making the steps happen.

Todd Glassey
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:19:52 +0100

On Feb 9, 2009, at 23:55, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> not the way to win friends and impress people

I sincerely apologize for sending a message that has elicited (much  
belated) responses from *both* TSG and av8.
I wonder if a shower is enough to get the troll spit off my face.
(I certainly won't respond to the "points" made.)

Gruesse, Carsten