Subject: Several ways you can publish I-Ds with pre 5378 content - TODAY

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:19:13 -0700

Method 1: (Not recommended)

Go read the BCP and Trust statement and edit your .txt to have the  
right text.

Method 2: (Recommended for people using word template)

Go look at a draft that did work, such as
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jennings-http-srv-01

And copy the Copyright Notice section into your draft

Method 3: XML2RFC approach recommended for folks that run xml2rfc  
locally

Get the very hacked version at
http://svn.resiprocate.org/rep/ietf-drafts/xml2rfc/1.34pre2-fluffy/xml2rfc.tcl

This will soon be obsoleted when the real xml2rfc tool gets updated.  
Don't worry, Julian, Bill, and Marshal are working on that. They will  
produce something much better than my hack of xml2rfc

Set the ipr attribute in the <rfc> element to ipr="pre5378Trust200902"  
and it will produce a txt file that id submission tool will accept.

Method 4: XML2RFC approach for folks that run xml2rfc on the web

Use the experimental version from http://xml.resource.org/experimental.html 
. You can download the zip or tgz file on this page or use the online  
version at this page.

Make sure you have

<?rfc strict="no" ?>
somewhere above the <rfc> element.
In the <rfc> element, set the ipr attribute to ipr="trust200811"
Change your abstract to use a note. Do this by changing
<abstract> <t> This draft is about ... </t> </abstract>
To
<note title="Abstract"><t> This draft is about ...</t> </note>
And before this not insert a note like
<note title=""> <t> This document may contain material from IETF  
Documents or IETF Contributions published or made publicly available  
before November 10, 2008. The person(s) controlling the copyright in  
some of this material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to  
allow modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards  
Process. Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s)  
controlling the copyright in such materials, this document may not be  
modified outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of  
it may not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to  
format it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages  
other than English. </t> </note>

You can seen the XML for an example I-D that does this at
http://svn.resiprocate.org/rep/ietf-drafts/fluffy/example.xml

That should work - good luck

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:21:50 -0800

>And copy the Copyright Notice section into your draft

Idnits gives a warning about "using the IETF Trust Provisions Section 
6.b License Notice from 10 Nov 2008 rather than the newer Notice from 
12 Feb 2009.  Both versions are accepted up to the end of March 2009; 
after that you'll need to use the 12 Feb 2009 Notice."

The warning is not because of the pre 5378 workaround.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:31:40 +0100

Cullen Jennings wrote:
> ...
> Method 3: XML2RFC approach recommended for folks that run xml2rfc locally
> 
> ...

I'd like to clarify that unless the draft needs the new "pre-5378 escape 
clause", the old values for @ipr just work fine (and only generate an 
ID-Nit warning).

BR, Julian

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:06:15 -0700

Marshall Rose wrote:

> briefly, you want to set the 'ipr' attribute of the <rfc/> element to  
> one of these values:
> 
> 	trust200811
> 	noModificationTrust200811
> 	noDerivativesTrust200811
> 	trust200902
> 	noModificationTrust200902
> 	noDerivativesTrust200902
> 	pre5378Trust200902
> 
> the final value in the list above is probably the one of interest to  
> most folks.

Thanks, Marshall! For those not in the know, to what particular IPR
policies or options do these values map?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:34:23 +0100

> policies or options do these values map?

At this point, only the *200902* variants should be relevant (not all of 
those changed from 200811, but we added all of them for consistency).

(1) "trust200902" is the value to choose when no restrictions are being 
made.

(2) "noModificationTrust200902" adds

"This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not 
be created, except to format it for publication as an RFC or to 
translate it into languages other than English."

as defined in Section 6.c.i of 
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions-Clean-2-12-09.pdf>.

(3) "noDerivativesTrust200902" adds

"This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not 
be created, and it may not be published except as an Internet-Draft."

as defined in Section 6.c.ii of 
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions-Clean-2-12-09.pdf>.

(4) "pre5378Trust200902" adds

"This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF 
Contributions published or made publicly available before November 10, 
2008. The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this material 
may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow modifications of 
such material outside the IETF Standards Process. Without obtaining an 
adequate license from the person(s) controlling the copyright in such 
materials, this document may not be modified outside the IETF Standards 
Process, and derivative works of it may not be created outside the IETF
Standards Process, except to format it for publication as an RFC or to 
translate it into languages other than English."

as defined in Section 6.c.iii of 
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions-Clean-2-12-09.pdf>. 
This is the new variant that was introduced because of the problems 
discovered in November.

Best regards, Julian