Subject: "TLS authorization" proposed standard

From: David Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:03:42 -0500

Hello!

I'm writing in because I've been made aware that the IETF is considering
a standard (currently called "TLS authorization") that would be
encumbered by a patent. In this case, that patent is held by a company
called RedPhone.

I have held the IETF and its work in the highest esteem over the years.
I hope that you will not jeopardize your stature and relevance by
approving a standard that is encumbered by a patent. Patent-encumbered
standards hurt those both inside and outside of the technology industry.

I hope it is obvious that a standard, especially for a communications
protocol, can't be beneficial if it cannot be widely implemented, by
organizations large and small, by individuals, and by free and open
source software developers (whose work powers so much of the internet's
infrastructure).

I hope you will continue to oppose this standard until RedPhone provides
a royalty-free license for all users.

Best Regards,
David Wood