Subject: Oppose Current TLS Authorization Standard

From: "Charles R. Partridge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:13:06 -0500

Group,

Much of the communication on the Internet happens between computers
according to standards that define common languages.  If we are going to
live in a free world using free software,  our software must be allowed to
speak these languages.

Unfortunately, discussions about possible new standards are tempting
opportunities for people who would prefer to profit by extending proprietary
control over our communities. If someone holds a software patent on a
technique that a programmer or user has to use in order to make use of a
standard, then no one is free without getting permission from and paying the
patent holder. If we are not careful, standards can become major barriers to
computer users having and exercising their freedom.

We depend on organizations like the Internet Engineering Task Force

(IETF) and the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) to evaluate new
proposals for standards and make sure that they are not encumbered by
patents or any other sort of restriction that would prevent free software
users and programmers from participating in the world they define.

In February 2006, a standard for "TLS authorization" was introduced in the
IETF for consideration. Very late in the discussion, a company called
RedPhone Security disclosed (this disclosure has subsequently been
unpublished from the IETF website) that they applied for a patent which
would need to be licensed to anyone wanting to practice the standard. After
this disclosure, the proposal was rejected.

Despite claims that RedPhone have offered a license for implementation of
this protocol, users of this protocol would still be threatened by the
patent. The IETF should continue to oppose this standard until RedPhone
provide a royalty-free license for all users.

Regards,

Charles R. Partridge,

Columbus, Ohio