Subject: Request about: https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1026/

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:18:36 +0000

To whom it may concern,

This is about:
"Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions"
(draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07)

Patent information: 11/234,404 ; 60/646,749 ; PCT/US2006/001342

Which can be found by reading the document: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1026/
The section where RedPhone Security asserts that the protocol would hold 
nothing that infringes the patent, they then say that there are four 
ways to do business with this protocol, and implementing these methods 
would infringe what they call their IPR.

Then they go on to state:

"RedPhone Security agrees to grant licenses for such uses in a fair and 
nondiscriminatory manner. This statement applies to the Disclosed Patent 
Information, including all amendments in all nations as published during 
the course of prosecution."

This statement says "you now need licences to make the internet work".

This is an attempt to put a toll booth on an onramp to the internet, 
even if this toll booth is cashless it would be unforgivable to allow 
such a construction. Precedence as we all know is a bad thing, and this 
would be a really bad case of it the start of the closing of the highway 
that is the internet.

Therefore I strongly recommend that this draft be dropped until such 
time as RedPhone Agrees to allow a complete and free use of any works 
they feel they can lay claim to in the implementation of this protocol 
where the methods of authentication against violate their IPR.

The only offer that would be acceptable would be for RedPhone security 
to grant all parties involved a full and free use of any of their IP 
that is associated with this protocol.

If you wish to run a sanity test why not ask "What would Jon Postel have 
said in this case?".

Regards,

Paul O'Malley