Subject: Keep Standards Open

From: "McDowell, Perry (CIV)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:57:51 -0800

I am writing to ask you not to approve the proposed patent-encumbered
standard for TLS authorization. To do so would fly in the face of the
IETF's fundamental commitment to openness. It would weaken not just the
standard itself, but the IETF's authority in this sphere.

At a time when there is increasing awareness of the importance of
supporting truly open standards that can be implemented by anybody
without recourse to licensing, it would be a truly retrograde step to
allow this patent-encumbered standard to be approved. 

I urge the IETF to send a strong signal in support of open standards by
rejecting the proposal. 

Perry
*******************************************************************
Perry L. McDowell - [email-masked]
Executive Director, Delta3D Game Engine
Office: Watkins Hall Room 211
Tel: (831) 656-7591 Cell: (831) 915-8396
Mailing Address: 
Naval Postgraduate School
Watkins Annex Room 265
700 Dyer Road
Monterey, Ca 93943-5001
SIPR: [email-masked]