Subject: LC announcements -- lessons to be learned?

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:17:45 +0100 (MEZ)

Hello all,

as a result of the recent avalanche of messages on the IETF General
Discussion list, I suggest to apply the following two changes to
IETF LC announcements:

(a)

To better qualify the action expected,
replace the clause:

| ...  Please send substantive comments to ...

by:

| ...  Please read this document and send substantive comments to ...

(b)

To simplify the resource pointers, and thereby better guide readers
to more information available online regarding the subject draft,
replace the trailing clauses following the pattern:

| The file can be obtained via
| http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xxx-yyy-zzz-nn.txt
|
| IESG discussion can be tracked via
| https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?...

by simply:

| The draft and related information (including IESG discussion) can be
| obtained via:
| http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xxx-yyy-zzz-nn

[[ If you prefer, the parenthetical clause could be elided as well. ]]

Rationale:

Any serious IETF participant that prefers direct access to the text
version of the draft file will be able to translate the above link
to the corresponding URL pointing to the I-D (mirror) archive of its
personal preference, and infrequent participants are expected to
appreciate the HTML-ized version generated by the IETF Tools servers.

It should be noted that the Tools pages following the above URI
pattern -- beyond containing a link to the related Datatracker
page -- also contain a pointer to the responsible WG pages (if any)
and offer the whole history of the draft under consideration.

Best regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:30:38 -0800

>| ...  Please read this document and send substantive comments to ...

+1

>| http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xxx-yyy-zzz-nn

+1

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium