Subject: Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions

From: Davide Del Vento <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:55:07 -0700

Dear Sirs,
The proposal in object has a changed status from "experimental" to
"proposed standard".
Unfortunately, such a proposal is encumbered by a patent. That patent in
question is claimed by RedPhone Security. RedPhone has given a license
to anyone who implements the protocol, but they still threaten to sue
anyone that uses it. Despite claims that RedPhone have offered a license
for implementation of this protocol, users of this protocol would still
be threatened by the patent. The IETF should continue to oppose this
standard until RedPhone provide a royalty-free license for all users.
Thanks and Regards,
Davide Del Vento, Consulting Services Software Engineer
NCAR Computational & Information Services Laboratory
http://www.cisl.ucar.edu/hss/csg/
office: Mesa Lab, Room 42B
phone:  (303) 497-1233
mobile: (720) 240-1704
email: [email-masked]