Subject: Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions <draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt>

From: Bryan Venable <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:38:23 -0600

IETF,

I am a web application Performance Engineer for a major SaaS hosting
provider.  My customers and I rely on free and open standards to build
web applications that are useful, powerful and openly compatible with
the widest possible range of software.  In order for these standards
to remain free, open and therefore useful, they must not be encumbered
by patents.

You have before you for consideration an Internet-Draft entitled
"Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions
<draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt>".  The proposed standard
described in this document utilizes a patent granted to RedPhone
Security, the employer of one of the document's co-authors.  RedPhone
Security has threatened to sue anyone who uses this patent without
their express permission being given in advance.

Therefore, I urge you not to adopt the proposed standard.  Please seek
an open and free alternative.  The internet community relies on you to
serve this vital function, and we trust that you will make the right
decision in this matter.

Thank you.