Subject: On the TLS authorization proposed standard

From: Pedro José Ponce de León <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:14:17 +0100

Dear IETF committee members,

In February 2006, a standard for "TLS authorization" was introduced in
the IETF for consideration. Very late in the discussion, a company
called RedPhone Security disclosed (this disclosure has subsequently
been unpublished from the IETF website) that they applied for a patent
which would need to be licensed to anyone wanting to practice the
standard. After this disclosure, the proposal was rejected.

Despite claims that RedPhone have offered a license for implementation
of this protocol, users of this protocol would still be threatened by
the patent. The IETF should continue to oppose this standard until
RedPhone provide a royalty-free license for all users.

Sincerely yours,

-------------------------------------------
Pedro J. Ponce de León Amador
Dpto. de lenguajes y sistemas informáticos
Universidad de Alicante - E03080 Spain
Tlf: +34 965 903400, ext. 2981
-------------------------------------------