Subject: TLS authorization

From: Giulio Fidente <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:05:34 +0100

Dear members of IETF,

as far as I've understood, the IETF has been called to evaluate the
proposal for a standard for "TLS authorization" which, as far as I know,
is patent encumbered.

That patent in question is claimed by RedPhone Security. RedPhone has
given a license to anyone who implements the protocol, but they still
threaten to sue anyone that uses it.

Much of the communication on the Internet happens between computers
according to standards that define common languages. Unfortunately,
discussions about possible new standards are tempting opportunities for
people who would prefer to profit by extending control over our
communities of programmers and users.

We depend on organizations like You, the Internet Engineering Task
Force, to evaluate new proposals for standards and make sure that they
are not encumbered by patents or any other sort of restriction that
would prevent users and programmers from participating in the world they
define.

Despite claims that RedPhone have offered a license for implementation
of this protocol, users of this protocol would still be threatened by
the patent. I think it would be great if the IETF continued to oppose
this standard until RedPhone provide a royalty-free license for all users.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
- --
Giulio Fidente, gpg key id 08D733BA
You must be the change you want to see in the world. -- Gandhi