Subject: Scrub proposed patented standard for "TLS authorization"

From: Nilesh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:25:10 +0530

I have come to know that the patented-standard that was scrubbed in
February 2006 has resurfaced again and is now a "proposed standard". I
would suggest that this standard be not approved unless the patent
threat is removed entirely with a royalty-free license for all users.

We depend on your organization to evaluate new proposals for standards
and make sure that they are not encumbered by patents or any other
sort of restriction that would prevent free software users and
programmers from participating in the world they define. If someone
holds a software patent on a technique that a programmer or user has
to use in order to make use of a standard, then no one is free without
getting permission from and paying the patent holder. If we are not
careful, standards can become major barriers to computer users having
and exercising their freedom.

Hence, in this regard I request you not to approve the standard and
scrub it as immediately as possible. The standard be approved only if
RedPhone provides a royalty-free license for all users, otherwise the
standard be never approved!

Thanking you.

-- 
Regards
nilesh kr.
Nilesh Kumar