Subject: Regarding TLS authorization

From: Munir Hasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:15:28 +0600

<[email-masked]>

Dear Sir / Madam,

Bangladesh Open Source Network is the umbrella organization of open source
initiavies and open source projects in Bangladesh. We are working to spread
the philosophy of open source in south asian region. As the recent
'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions' standard proposed
by IETF may come under patent in future, we would strongly recommend the
concerned body to think again and not to add it to the standard TLS
standard. If we look in the history of communication industry, if the patent
holder issues a license to allow everyone implement or use it freely (in the
sense of freedom or may even be in terms of free of cost), they can change
their mind any time.

If we look back in the history, IETF has always used involuntary
participation while development of any or all of its standards and /or
protocols using RFCs. Hence, we believe using a patented, licensed
technology in any stage of standardization does not only destroy IETF's
long standing reputation as in independent knowledge-based body but also
delimits the fundamental human right to  contribute and disseminate
knowledge.

However, if there exists such an urgency to incorporate any such technology
"owned" by a company in a standardization - the company must
ensure that no action may be brought alleging infringement of copyright
/patent /business secret /trademarks based on the manufacture,
modification, importation, or distribution by any individual or party any
time in the future. Also the company must not impose a reproduction fee of
any sort on the individual or party using the standard. In short, the
company with the patented technology (RedPhone Security in this case) must
give up all its right before IETF decides in favor of incorporation of its
patented technology in RFC5246 or any other declaration of standardization.

So, we, on behalf of Bangladesh Open Source Network, would strongly
recommend IETF not to add any patented or is-going-to-be-patented extension
to the TLS standard.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Munir Hasan

-- 
Munir Hasan
General Secretary
Bangladesh Open Source Network
Jamil Sarwar Trust,
278/3 Elephant Road (3rd floor), Dhaka
http://www.bdosn.org
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."--Alan Kay