Subject: serious concerns on TLS authorization standard enclosure

From: jaromil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:27:38 +0100

I stand with the many voices protesting: 

Much of  the communication on  the Internet happens  between computers
according to standards that define  common languages.  If we are going
to live  in a  free world  using free software,  our software  must be
allowed to speak these languages.

Unfortunately, discussions  about possible new  standards are tempting
opportunities  for people  who  would prefer  to  profit by  extending
proprietary control over our  communities. If someone holds a software
patent on a technique that a programmer or user has to use in order to
make use of a standard, then no one is free without getting permission
from and  paying the patent holder.  If we are  not careful, standards
can  become major  barriers to  computer users  having  and exercising
their freedom.

We depend  on organizations like  the Internet Engineering  Task Force
(IETF) and the Internet  Engineering Steering Group (IESG) to evaluate
new proposals for standards and make sure that they are not encumbered
by patents  or any other sort  of restriction that  would prevent free
software users  and programmers from  participating in the  world they
define.

In February 2006, a standard for "TLS authorization" was introduced in
the IETF  for consideration.  Very late in  the discussion,  a company
called RedPhone  Security disclosed (this  disclosure has subsequently
been unpublished from the IETF website) that they applied for a patent
which  would need to  be licensed  to anyone  wanting to  practice the
standard. After this disclosure, the proposal was rejected.

Despite claims that RedPhone have offered a license for implementation
of this protocol, users of  this protocol would still be threatened by
the patent.  The IETF  should continue to  oppose this  standard until
RedPhone provide a royalty-free license for all users.

- -- 
  Denis Jaromil Roio   |X|  Dyne.org Foundation
  software developer   |X|  Netherlands Media Art Institute
  GNU / Linux / *BSD   |X|  Montevideo / Time Based Arts
- ------------------------------------------------------------
 Email: [email-masked] Irc: irc.freenode.net /msg jaromil
 Tel: +31 20 6237101 121 ( Tue and Fri, 10:30 - 17:30 CET )
 Post:  NIMK/Artlab   Keizersgracht 264   1016 EV AMSTERDAM
 PGP: 779F E8B5 47C7 3A89 4112 64D0 7B64 3184 [ B534 0B5E ]