Subject: The actual situation re. posting w/o subscribing

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:48:49 -0800 (PST)

Since there have been divergent opinions expressed as to whether one must
be subscribed to this list to post ...

The answer is NO ... but if one is not subscribed, one receives at least
one:
   Confirmation of list posting -- confirmation ID: mH46IzSZIBHA
email. W/o actually releasing my test, I can't answer the question as
to whether a single confirmation will cover multiple posts, but clearly
subscription is not required.

I think anyone who wants to contribute to the IETF process should be 
subscribed to the at least one of the lists they are listing in the
post submission. There should be no option to use digest or submit
only modes of subscription for at least 48 hours after subscribing
and sending a post.

In other words, if someone is serious about contributing, they should want 
to receive the discussion of their submission and if a firestorm results,
that is part of the burden of participation. Of course, nothing prevents 
they from using some form of inbound mail filter to divert the replies.

David Morris