Subject: Comments on TLS-authz

From: Scott Goodwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:30:05 -0500

I oppose the publication of "Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization
Extensions" (draft-housley-tls-authz-extns) due to patent restrictions on
the use of these extensions. The implementation appears to be released from
any potential patent claims for implementing the protocol(s) as described in

 draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt

Yet the release of IPR for implementation is followed by patent claims as to
the use of part or all of those implementations. This puts the IETF in the
position of approving for use a protocol standard whose implementation is
unimpeded but whose actual use incurs potential risk to users of AUTHZ
protocol extension implementations.

The language stating that "RedPhone Security agrees to grant licenses for
such uses in a fair and non-discriminatory manner" does not explicitly or
implicitly indicate that such grants would be royalty-free or free of other
charges or limitations by RedPhone Security.
 
In essence, a private company with patented IPR is proposing a protocol
standard that, if adopted by the IETF, may well lead to IPR lawsuits against
those using such implementations. This is neither in the intent nor spirit
of Internet protocols nor in the best interests of the public at large.

As such this draft standard must be rejected by the IETF until RedPhone
Security releases all IPR with respect to the implementation and use of the
AUTHZ extensions protocol or submits to granting a royalty-free license to
implement and use the protocol extensions.

Ref: https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1026/

/s.

Scott Goodwin
Chief Information Officer
Space Operations Mission Directorate
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Washington, DC