Subject: Re: SS7

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:04:41 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Sir or Madam,

Is there a working group on converging legacy protocol stacks and mapping
legacy stacks addressing mechanisms into IPv6 addressing? For example, RFC
4291 & 4038 specifies that ::ffff:x.y.z.w represents IPv4 node x.y.z.w -
is there a similar draft concept for specifying a Message Transfer Part
point code for an SS7 stack or other telephony protocol network layer
mechanisms into IPv6 addresses?

Thanks much,
-Jim Hanley

                      \^^^/
                      (0 0)
*******************ooO*(_)*Ooo********************
 Jim Hanley        REDCOM Laboratories, Inc.
 Software Engineer 1 Redcom Cntr ________  ______
T +1.585.924.7550  Victor, NY   /  __   /\/  ___/\
F +1.585.924.6547    14564  ___/  /\/  /_/  /\__\/
 [email-masked] USA /_____/ /_______/ /
 http://www.redcom.com/    \_____\/\_______\/
*************************Oooo.********************
                   .oooO (   )
                   (   )  ) /
                    \ (  (_/
                     \_)

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:12:26 -0700

Jim,

Telco has a goal of maintaining 5 9's where SCTP was developed to  
carry their SS7 protocol.  The FreeBSD stack for SCTP supports IPv4,  
IPv6 and multi-homing.  This protocol immediately recovers from  
network path failures as it heartbeats against alternative paths.  The  
protocol can sustain a large number of connections over extended  
periods, takes less time for connection setup than TCP, and overall  
latency can be less than UDP while still supporting partial reliability.

SCTP has improved error detection suitable for jumbo frames.  In  
addition, the error checking algorithm is now an instruction in i7  
core Intel processors and is found in many NICs.  The SCTP connection  
setup returns a cookie to minimize resource exhaustion concerns, to  
guard against source address spoofing, connection hijacking, and DDoS  
attacks.

http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/ss7_over/index.asp

-Doug

On May 20, 2009, at 6:04 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf