Subject: Re: [mpls] Last Call: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements (Requirements for OAM in MPLS Transport Networks) to Proposed Standard

From: Yoshinori KOIKE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 04:38:35 +0900

"[email-masked]" mailing list,

We would like to make some comments on 'Requirements for OAM in MPLS
Transport Networks ' <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-03.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.

Firstly, we would like to add one significant requirement which is
missing in the current draft. The proposed additional requirement in
section 2.2.2 "Scope of OAM" is as follows.

"It MUST be possible to operate the MPLS-TP OAM protocols, which satisfy
functional requirements that are common to general transport layer
network (i.e., independent of technology), in a way that is similar to
other transport layer technologies which has been standardized and will
be standardized in ITU-T (e.g., SDH, OTN and Ethernet)."

There are two main backgrounds on this requirement from the
perspective of carrier's operation. At first, everyone will agree that
the concept of transport profile of MPLS-TP comes from transport layer
technology like SONET/SDH , OTN and Ethernet which were standardized in
ITU-T. Therefore we would like to keep those benefits of those well
established technologies as much as possible also in MPLS-TP OAM.
Second, most carriers are already familiar with existing transport plane
operational system. It would be very helpful to keep the characteristic.

However, we also think it is also considerable to improve existing
transport network OAM, if they can be developed or advanced more from
the perspective of transport profile. We never mean to stop further
progress if the existing transport network OAM can be further developed
to more sophisticated one from the perspective of transport profile.

Secondly, we attached "Proposal 1" as additional requirements
on the MPLS-TP OAM draft. We proposed several OAM requirements which are
not clarified in the MPLS-TP OAM requirement draft. We consider that
those items we proposed to make clear would be very beneficial in terms
of operational enhancement in packet transport network and useful tool
to operators using MPLS-TP technology in their commercial network.

Thirdly, we also attached "Proposal 2" as additional comments
on the MPLS-TP OAM draft. There are some ambiguities in existing MPLS-TP
OAM drafts. We believe this contribution will remove the ambiguities and
  make existing MPLS-TP more productive.

We believe these comments are valuable for further discussion on MPLS-TP
OAM standardization, although there could not be so much time left.
Moreover, we don't like to interfere with existing hard
work by IETF and ITU-T. However, we believe, considering the possibility
of running into major problems, having discussion about those issues and
making decision among related experts now would move forward with
MPLS-TP standardization in more productive manner as a result.

Those documents are supposed to be discussed tomorrow in ITU-T SG15
meeting. After the discussion, we are also going to propose them to 
MPLS-TP mailing list, including the feedback from ITU-T, if needed.

Finally, ITU-T and IETF have kept great collaborative works, thanks to
the great efforts mainly by IETF MEAD management members and ITU-T
Ad-hoc management members so far. We strongly hope IETF and ITU-T to
keep working so that they can reach an productive agreement on this
unprecedented collaborative works of MPLS-TP standard successfully, by
continuing to respect and encourage each other.

Best regards,

Yoshinori Koike

The IESG wrote:
> The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG 
> (mpls) to consider the following document:
> 
> - 'Requirements for OAM in MPLS Transport Networks '
>    <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-10-05. Exceptionally, 
> comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
> retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
> 
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements-03.txt
> 
> 
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=18036&rfc_flag=0
> 
> _______________________________________________
> mpls mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
> 

-- 
**************************************
Yoshinori Koike
Optical Transmission Systems Development Project
First Promotion Project
NTT Network Service Systems Laboratories
NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
Telephone: +81 422 59 6723
Facsimile: +81 422 59 3494
Email: [email-masked]
**************************************