Subject: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery-11

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:29:08 -0500

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)reviewer for 
this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please 
seehttp://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).Please resolve 
these comments along with any other Last Call commentsyou may 
receive.Document: draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery-11Reviewer: Spencer 
Dawkins
Review Date: 2009-10-21
IETF LC End Date: 2009-10-29
IESG Telechat date: (not known)

Summary: This document is almost ready for publication as a Proposed 
Standard.

I have one minor question, as follows:

2.2.  Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)

   LIS discovery over a VPN network interface SHOULD NOT be performed.
   A LIS discovered in this way is unlikely to have the information
   necessary to determine an accurate location.

Spencer (minor): I'm having a difficult time imagining why this is a SHOULD 
and not a MUST. When is LIS discovery over a VPN would be the *right* thing 
to do? I note that the related text in the following paragraph is "MUST NOT 
unless" - I'd be more comfortable seeing similar text here.

   Not all interfaces connected to a VPN can be detected by devices or
   the software running on them.  A LIS MUST NOT provide location
   information in response to requests that it can identify as
   originating from a device on the remote end of a VPN tunnel, unless
   it is able to accurately determine location.  The "notLocatable" HELD
   error code can be used to indicate to a device that discovery has
   revealed an unsuitable LIS.  This ensures that even if a device
   discovers a LIS over the VPN, it does not rely on a LIS that is
   unable to provide accurate location information.