Subject: ISOC Panel at IETF 76 -- Internet Bandwidth Growth: Dealing with Reality

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:41:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Colleagues:

Following the successful Internet Society panels on IPv6 held in San
Francisco during IETF 74 and on Securing the DNS held in Stockholm
during IETF 75. I want to make you aware of an upcoming ISOC panel
scheduled during IETF 76 in Hiroshima, Japan:

  Subject: Internet Bandwidth Growth: Dealing with Reality
  Place:   Orchid Room, ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel, Hiroshima, Japan
  Time:    Tuesday, 10 November 2009, during the IETF lunch break

The possibility of the Internet's impending collapse due to the
explosive growth in Internet bandwidth use is a recurring high-
profile theme in the popular media.

However, the reality of measuring and understanding Internet
bandwidth growth and its implications at macro-scales is complex.
While policy debates around issues such as "network neutrality" are
underway, network operators are already managing their networks to
address issues raised by bandwidth-intensive applications.

This briefing session will share, in accessible terms, the realities
of measuring bandwidth growth on the Internet today, as well as
efforts to identify and deal with issues it raises, addressing
questions such as:

  o Is there anything different about bandwidth growth today that
    will cause problems not faced in the past?

  o Are there better ways than those currently employed by network  
    operators to manage issues raised by bandwidth-intensive
    applications?

  o How does related work underway in the IETF  factor into these
    issues?

Panelists will include:

  o Leslie Daigle, ISOC (Moderator)
  o Kenjiro Cho, IIJ
  o Danny McPherson, Arbor Networks
  o Richard Woundy, Comcast
  o Lars Eggert, Nokia Research Center, IETF Transport Area Director

Online Registration Opens on 30 October 2009.

Due to high demand and limited space at previous panel events, the
Internet Society is providing advance information about registration.
Online registration will be open on 30 October 2009 in two blocks. To
account for the broad range of home timezones of IETF participants,
half of the available spaces available will be open for registration
at 0000 UTC on 30 October 2009 with the remaining spaces made available
at 1200 UTC on 30 October 2009.

Russ Housley
IETF Chair