Subject: need advice on reproducing code (Relax NG) from RFC 4287 (The Atom Syndication Format)

From: Jorge Contreras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:55:49 -0500

Julian -- your understanding is consistent with mine.  That seems to be the
right legend.
Regards,
Jorge
 ------------------------------

   - *From*: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at
gmx.de<[email-masked]>>

   - *To*: IETF Discussion <ietf at ietf.org <[email-masked]>>
   - *Cc*: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman at imc.org <[email-masked]>>

   - *Date*: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:53:07 +0100

------------------------------

Hi,

the OASIS CMIS TC would like to ship their spec with an XML Schema describing
the Atom feed syntax. That schema can be produced from Appendix B of RFC
4287 using Jim Clark's "trang".

The license for RFC 4287 is defined by BCP 78, of which RFC 3978 was
the current
version when RFC 4287 was published.

Section 5.6 of RFC 3978 has:

-- snip --
   a. in MIB modules, PIB modules and similar material commonly
      extracted from IETF Documents, except for material that is being
      placed under IANA maintenance, the following abbreviated notice
      shall be included in the body of the material that will be
      extracted in lieu of the notices otherwise required by Section 5:

         "Copyright (C) The Internet Society <year>.  This version of
         this MIB module is part of RFC XXXX; see the RFC itself for
         full legal notices."

      ...

      For other types of components than "MIB", substitute "MIB module"
      with an appropriate identifier.  In the case of MIB and PIB
      modules this statement should be placed in the DESCRIPTION clause
      of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.

      Variations of these abbreviated notices are not permitted except
      in cases where the material to be extracted is the product of a
      joint development effort between the IETF and another standards
      development organization or is a republication of the work of
      another standards organization.  Such variations must be approved
      on an individual basis by the IAB.
-- snip --

(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3978#section-5.6>).

Question: does the Relax NG schema qualify as "code component"? It certainly
does according to <
http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Code-Components-List-4-23-09.txt>, but that's
data from 2009.

Assuming it does qualify as code component, would the following notice on
the extracted Relaxg NG schema be OK?

         "Copyright (C) The Internet Society 2005.  This version of
         this RelaxNG schema is part of RFC 4287; see the RFC itself for
         full legal notices."

Best regards, Julian