Subject: Question about Binary Encapsulation (Context: Packet Headers)

From: "Peter Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:54:56 -0500

In searching for the answer to a question I have regarding binary
encapsulation, I decided to join the IETF's listserv to see if anyone is
familiar with this.

In the context of packet headers (e.g. IP) and deep packet inspection, does
anyone know what binary encapsulation is, and if so, can you please explain
it?  I understand the concept of encapsulation, which is the process of
appending packet headers to each other as the packet moves through the
layers of the OSI model.  However, I have not found an explanation anywhere
as to what is binary encapsulation.  In my research, I have looked at
research databases (e.g. ACM Digital Library, IEEE, ProQuest Computing,
etc.), Google Scholar, and used Google's search engine to search the
commercial Internet.  In addition, I have posted my question to a few forums
and contacted three university professors with expertise in the field of
networking.  However, no one seems to know about binary encapsulation.

The few bits of information I have found explain binary encapsulation in the
context of computer programming.  However, even with that information, I
would have to guess whether these explanations are directly and exactly
transferable to binary packet header encapsulation.  With that said, if
anyone has time to respond to this email and explain the concept in the
context of packet headers, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Another question I have, though I realize that even fewer people might know
the answer, is if anyone knows what JSTD encapsulation is.  If not, any
explanation anyone can provide for binary encapsulation will still be very
helpful.  Otherwise, if no one is familiar with binary encapsulation, can
anyone please refer me to someone they think might know about it?

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Peter Schwartz

_____________________________

Peter Schwartz

10301 Grosvenor Place

Apartment 305

Rockville, MD 20852

E-mail:   <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

Voice:   (301) 473-1309