Subject: ISOC and W3C Announcement

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 07:38:07 -0800 (PST)

I want to make sure that you are aware of this recent announcement by
the Internet Society (ISOC) and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
As this relationship developed, Lynn St. Amour, President and CEO of
ISOC, had ongoing dialogue and consultation with the IAB and the IESG.
I am confident that this relationship between ISOC and W3C is aligned
with the mission and goals of the IETF. I sincerely hope that the
support received from ISOC will allow the W3C to quickly adopt an
agile, inclusive, and flexible organizational structure.

Russ Housley
IETF Chair

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

   Internet Society and World Wide Web Consortium Strengthen
       Relationship to Help Ensure Open Global Internet

     ISOC Donation to Support Evolution of W3C Organization

Reston, VA, USA and Geneva, Switzerland, and http://www.w3.org/ --
11 December 2009 -- The Internet Society (ISOC) and the World Wide Web
Consortium (W3C) today announced a donation from ISOC for the purpose of
advancing the evolution of W3C as an organization that creates open Web
standards. Citing strongly aligned views on the value of an open global
Internet and support for the current Internet governance and management
model, the Internet Society pledged to support W3C efforts to implement
a more agile, inclusive, and flexible organizational structure.

"ISOC and W3C have worked together for years in a number of areas, and
have deeply shared values about the Internet's development," said Lynn
St. Amour, President and CEO of the Internet Society. "Our support to
the W3C in their transition efforts demonstrates ISOC's commitment to
ensuring the Internet continues to be a global platform for innovation.
What's at stake is the Internet's openness, which is a critical enabler
of new products and services to billions of users worldwide."

The announcement reflects the two organizations' shared aim of ensuring
the continued growth and accessibility of the global Internet and Web,
and stewardship responsibilities to ensure they continue to benefit
users worldwide.

"ISOC and W3C have a long history of cooperation and the Internet
ecosystem has benefited from our shared yet independent voices," said
Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director. "The W3C staff, Members, and community
continue to work on making W3C more relevant and valuable to the Web and
Internet communities. ISOC support will allow W3C to evolve its
structure to ensure we continue to forge solid working relationships
with the increasing numbers of developers and users, worldwide."

The two organizations will continue to operate independently, and will
maintain their long-standing, informal collaboration. ISOC's pledge of
support is for three years, with both organizations working to ensure
progress.

About the Internet Society

The Internet Society (ISOC) is a non-profit organization founded in 1992
to provide leadership in Internet related standards, education, and
policy. ISOC is the organizational home of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), the Internet's premier technical standards body. With
offices in Washington, D.C., and Geneva, Switzerland, it is dedicated to
ensuring the open development, evolution, and use of the Internet for
the benefit of people throughout the world. For more information see
http://www.isoc.org

About the World Wide Web Consortium

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an international consortium where
Member organizations, a full-time staff, and the public work together to
develop Web standards. W3C primarily pursues its mission through the
creation of Web standards and guidelines designed to ensure long-term
growth for the Web. Over 350 organizations are Members of the Consortium.
W3C is jointly run by the MIT Computer Science and Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory (MIT CSAIL) in the USA, the European Research
Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) headquartered in
France and Keio University in Japan, and has additional Offices
worldwide. For more information see http://www.w3.org

Media Contacts

Internet Society International --
Greg Wood <[email-masked]>, +1 703 439 2145

W3C
Contact Americas, Australia --
Ian Jacobs, <[email-masked]>, +1 718 260 9447
Contact Europe, Africa and the Middle East --
Marie-Claire Forgue, <[email-masked]>, +33 6 76 86 33 41
Contact Asia --
Naoko Ishikura, <[email-masked]>, +81 466 49 1170

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:35:09 -0500

ISOC developed a FAQ  with W3C regarding this announcement:
http://www.isoc.org/standards/isoc-w3c-faq.shtml

Russ

At 10:38 AM 12/11/2009, IETF Chair wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>IETF-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce