Subject: need advice on reproducing code (Relax NG) from RFC 4287 (The Atom Syndication Format)

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:53:07 +0100

Hi,

the OASIS CMIS TC would like to ship their spec with an XML Schema 
describing the Atom feed syntax. That schema can be produced from 
Appendix B of RFC 4287 using Jim Clark's "trang".

The license for RFC 4287 is defined by BCP 78, of which RFC 3978 was the 
current version when RFC 4287 was published.

Section 5.6 of RFC 3978 has:

-- snip --
    a. in MIB modules, PIB modules and similar material commonly
       extracted from IETF Documents, except for material that is being
       placed under IANA maintenance, the following abbreviated notice
       shall be included in the body of the material that will be
       extracted in lieu of the notices otherwise required by Section 5:

          "Copyright (C) The Internet Society <year>.  This version of
          this MIB module is part of RFC XXXX; see the RFC itself for
          full legal notices."

       ...

       For other types of components than "MIB", substitute "MIB module"
       with an appropriate identifier.  In the case of MIB and PIB
       modules this statement should be placed in the DESCRIPTION clause
       of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.

       Variations of these abbreviated notices are not permitted except
       in cases where the material to be extracted is the product of a
       joint development effort between the IETF and another standards
       development organization or is a republication of the work of
       another standards organization.  Such variations must be approved
       on an individual basis by the IAB.
-- snip --

(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3978#section-5.6>).

Question: does the Relax NG schema qualify as "code component"? It 
certainly does according to 
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Code-Components-List-4-23-09.txt>, but 
that's data from 2009.

Assuming it does qualify as code component, would the following notice 
on the extracted Relaxg NG schema be OK?

          "Copyright (C) The Internet Society 2005.  This version of
          this RelaxNG schema is part of RFC 4287; see the RFC itself for
          full legal notices."

Best regards, Julian