Subject: RE: federated authentication for non-web applications at IETF 77

From: "Josh Howlett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:16:30 -0000

Sam wrote:
> We plan to discuss the general problem and a proposed 
> solution at the bar BOF.  I've already prepared a feasibility 
> analysis for JaNet(UK)'s solution; the analysis does discuss 
> the problem some, gives an outline of the solution and 
> discusses technical issues and required standards work in 
> detail.  By IETF we'll have a use case paper, an internet 
> draft on the solution,and a slide set.

I just want to add to Sam's announcement that we explicitly asked him to
focus on an independent criticism of our proposal that was intended for
consumption within JANET(UK), as a means of informing our internal
strategy, rather than exposition to an external audience. We also asked
him to write at whatever level of technical detail was necessary for him
to justify his conclusions.

Consequently, Sam's paper is an erudite and raw technical analysis that
assumes some background understanding of the proposal, as well as the
underlying technologies. Nonetheless, we felt that it would be useful to
circulate the paper as a first step towards socialising the proposal.

As Sam indicates, we are working on a more general document that will
serve to introduce the proposal and how we believe it addresses our
use-cases. In the meantime, please get in touch with us if you have any
questions or comments; or, better still, join the mailing list.

josh.

JANET(UK) is a trading name of The JNT Association, a company limited
by guarantee which is registered in England under No. 2881024 
and whose Registered Office is at Lumen House, Library Avenue,
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:36:34 +0100

Josh, Sam,

Klaas Wierenga, Hank Mauldin, Hannes Tschofenig, and I have submitted
several drafts for consideration in the context of SASL, and we will be
presenting a short version of them at the APPS Area meeting and perhaps
something longer in SASL in advance of consideration of a charter
update.  Our work has focused on integration of two mechanisms- SAML and
OpenID.

Eliot

On 2/13/10 4:16 PM, Josh Howlett wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>
>

---

From: "Josh Howlett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:31:07 -0000

Eliot,

> Klaas Wierenga, Hank Mauldin, Hannes Tschofenig, and I have 
> submitted several drafts for consideration in the context of 
> SASL, and we will be presenting a short version of them at 
> the APPS Area meeting and perhaps something longer in SASL in 
> advance of consideration of a charter update.  Our work has 
> focused on integration of two mechanisms- SAML and OpenID.

That's great to hear. I have been following this work closely (having
also reviewed Klaas' recent draft) and I'm pleased that we have two
plausible strategies on the table for addressing this problem space. I
think our use-cases are a bit different (our respective strategies
certainly are!) but we are clearly in the same ball-park and so I hope
you will also bring your ideas to the proposed Bar BoF.

josh.