Subject: Audio Streaming Update 3/21 - IETF 77 March 21-26, 2010

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 08:57:06 -0700

Greetings,

The following is an update on the state of the audio streaming for
Sunday march 21.

The following two sessions will be streamed on Channel-7 (Palos Verdes)

1000-1200  IEPG Meeting - Palos Verdes
1300-1450  Newcomer's Training - Palos Verdes

http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf777.m3u

Standard information follows.

-Audio Streaming-

All 8 parallel tracks at the IETF 77 meeting will be broadcast starting
with the commencement of working group sessions on Monday, March 22,
2010 at 0900 PDT (UTC-7) and continue until Friday the 26th at 1515
PDT. Additionally it is our intention to broadcast the IEPG meeting
occurring on Sunday the 21st starting at 1000 PDT.

Because I have been asked several times in the past, note that if you
wish to use the rooms that are being recorded for impromptu meeting
during unscheduled sessions or lunch breaks that you can invite remote
participants to tune in to the appropriate stream. Recording cannot be
guaranteed for unscheduled sessions. Conversely, it should never be
assumed that recording or observation is not occurring on open
microphones, they are after all connected to the Internet.

The links for streaming sources and the schedule are best retrieved from
the IETF tools agenda, located here:

http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/77/

A page in the legacy style with links to the archives will also be
available here (it is not presently):

http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/

The links and associated playlist channel bindings (in place during the
meeting) are as follows:

California A 	ch1 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf771.m3u
California B 	ch2 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf772.m3u
California C 	ch3 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf773.m3u
California D	ch4 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf774.m3u
Huntingoton	ch5 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf775.m3u
Manhattan 	ch6 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf776.m3u
Palos Verdes	ch7 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf777.m3u
Redondo		ch8 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf778.m3u

and

All		ch* http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ietf77.m3u

Regards
Joel Jaeggli

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:22:04 -0400

Dear Joel;

Will the plenaries be streamed as "California C" ?

Regards
Marshall

On Mar 21, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:59:52 -0400

I am a remote participant for, I think, the 4th time running.

Things work really well, although it would be nice to have an official,
digital only way to bridge in a remote *presenter*.  Yaron Sheffer has
been bridged via teamspeak(or was it skype?) plus "audio bridge" into
ipsecme, and it works okay, but not great.

The thing I want to alert people about is that:

    the microphones are on between sessions

BE MINDFUL what you say near the WG chair's table.
or maybe WG chairs could turn that mike off when they leave.

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:11:18 -0700

Yeah that's what the streamer is in California C.

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:23:49 -0700

> ipsecme, and it works okay, but not great.

Yaron was bridged using a jk audio digital inkeeper, a grandstream sip
ata, gizmoproject, the pstn and Webex.

It would probably work a lot better if, the room were a bit smaller and
we eliminated the 8 bit 8khz portion of the pstn.

>     the microphones are on between sessions

The equipement runs between meetings, in fact it runs all night as well.
This has been noted by me twice a meeting at least since 2004.

> or maybe WG chairs could turn that mike off when they leave.

Which just creates more opportunities troubleshoot later. The wireless
mics are bad enough.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:05:16 -0400

>>>>> "Joel" == Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> Things work really well, although it would be nice to have an
    >> official, digital only way to bridge in a remote *presenter*.
    >> Yaron Sheffer has been bridged via teamspeak(or was it skype?) 
    >> plus "audio bridge" into ipsecme, and it works okay, but not
    >> great.

    Joel> Yaron was bridged using a jk audio digital inkeeper, a
    Joel> grandstream sip ata, gizmoproject, the pstn and Webex.

Can you tell us where each piece went?
It did include an audio bridge... i.e. Paul's laptop was emitting audio
and the room mic was picking it up, right?

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:38:47 -0700

> and the room mic was picking it up, right?

When I left the room the sip ata in the room was dialed into a webex
conference call, the digital innkeeper was connected to the sip ata and
both a line input (from caller) and mix out (to caller) on the mixer at
the front of the room. paul's mac was running the webex session. The
windows box was being used to present.

Whatever happened after I left is outside my knowledge.

joel

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:33:53 -0400

>> Can you tell us where each piece went?  It did include an audio
    >> bridge... i.e. Paul's laptop was emitting audio and the room mic
    >> was picking it up, right?

    Joel> When I left the room the sip ata in the room was dialed into a
    Joel> webex conference call, the digital innkeeper was connected to
    Joel> the sip ata and both a line input (from caller) and mix out
    Joel> (to caller) on the mixer at the front of the room. paul's mac
    Joel> was running the webex session. The windows box was being used
    Joel> to present.

I see, so the slides were being pushed through webex to the screen.
The audio however was being spliced right into room PA and into the mp3
encoder?  So no ATM bridge was involved?

How come we could hear the echo of his voice in the room then...

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:49:08 -0400

Thanks !

And will there be Webex support ?

Marshall