Subject: T-shirts?

From: Gregory Lebovitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:08:50 -0700

Ray,
I was asked about 5-6 times this week whether you would be selling the
famed IETF74 "rock concert" style shirt. Of course I enthusiastically
answered "Yes!"  But then they wanted to know when. Do you have time
table for the online availability?

Gregory

-- 
Sent from my mobile device

----
IETF related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 07:41:07 -0400

> table for the online availability?

Good question.

We have been working with an online vendor to allow t-shirts and other  
paraphernalia (coffee mugs, ball caps, etc)
to be purchased.  The "rock concert" design has been a particular  
challenge.

- The graphics use a unique brown that we are unable to duplicate.   
Changing the brown of the background causes the letters to fade  
considerably (since they're light colors)

- More importantly, the online vendor only allows two-sided printing  
(front and back of shirt) on light colors only.  If we have a dark  
colored shirt, then they only let printing on the front.

So getting this shirt to work with this particular online vendor  will  
end up dramatically modifying the shirt design in order to remove the  
unique brown and recolor the lettering so it will show on a light  
color shirt (so we can get 2 sided printing).

So, we've been working it, but have not found a satisfactory result as  
yet.

Ray

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: todd glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 06:46:54 -0700

On 3/27/2010 4:41 AM, Ray Pelletier wrote:
> unique brown and recolor the lettering so it will show on a light color
> shirt (so we can get 2 sided printing).
> 
> So, we've been working it, but have not found a satisfactory result as yet.

Ray is there a copy of the Art available?

todd

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:21:24 +0000

> colored shirt, then they only let printing on the front.

Can we make sure that the shirts are ASCII only?

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:10:23 -0500

> Can we make sure that the shirts are ASCII only?

ASCII is a regional standard.  The IETF is careful not to imply any
favoritism at the regional level.

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:53:02 +0100

> Can we make sure that the shirts are ASCII only?

That's not the whole of the issue - the issue is that the shirts were  
designed for printing on an ASR-33, and most modern t-shirts use an  
entirely different technology.

Although it'd be trivial to use the existing tools we have devised to  
modernize the design to fit modern best practise for shirt designs,  
the preferred solution is to make us wear ancient shirts instead. For  
many, including anyone wishing to be mobile or of a non-traditional  
IETF size, this will mean less flexibility in the shirt, however,  
this has been deemed unimportant, as it's well-known that - despite  
any evidence to the contrary - nobody moves whilst wearing an IETF  
shirt, and we are all precisely the same 80-inch girth. Frankly,  
anyone any different should sit still and eat the cookies - that's  
what they're there for, after all.

It should be noted that this argument has been done to death on a  
number of occasions, and of particular note is that although other  
SDOs have their shirts made to fit the maximum number of people, many  
of them even moving, that is of no consequence to us, as we need to  
be able to wear our shirts many years into the future, unlike those  
foolish fly-by-night folk.

HTH,

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:19:17 +0300

Hi,

> to be purchased.  The "rock concert" design has been a particular  

why is this harder than uploading the various artwork to cafepress.com?

Lars

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:55:42 -0700

personally, I think that should be in the weave, not the print...

> Can we make sure that the shirts are ASCII only?

http://www.ipinc.net/IPv4.GIF

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

That seems appropriate given that computers trace their history back 
to the Jacquard Loom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Paul Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:06:39 -0700

> http://www.ipinc.net/IPv4.GIF

Hmmm... movie alert:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493464/

List of assassination targets coded in a weave.. from a mystical loom.

Yes, I know... :-)

- - ferg

-- 
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 Engineering Architecture for the Internet
 fergdawgster(at)gmail.com
 ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

---

From: Mark Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:30:07 -0700

> why is this harder than uploading the various artwork to cafepress.com?
Their quality is not that great, and they want too big of a cut.

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:54:40 +0200

> Their quality is not that great, and they want too big of a cut.

Is the alternative -- i.e., no t-shirt and no revenue for IETF --
better?

/Simon

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:57:43 +0200

Simon Josefsson writes:
> Is the alternative -- i.e., no t-shirt and no revenue for IETF -- better?

That would be like publishing -00 drafts that suffer from lots of 
idnits: Simply unthinktable.

Arnt