Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-elie-nntp-list-additions (Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Additions to LIST Command) to Proposed Standard

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:20:53 -0700

At 17:08 18-06-10, The IESG wrote:
>The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
>the following document:
>
>- 'Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Additions to LIST Command '
>    <draft-elie-nntp-list-additions-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the

Is this an Independent Submission on the Standards Track?

In Section 3.1:

   "Therefore, an alias SHOULD NOT point to a moderated
    newsgroup since it allows bypassing of the moderation."

   "An alias SHOULD NOT point to itself or another alias group."

Is the "SHOULD NOT" intentional?

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:16:22 -0700

I support publication of this document as Proposed Standard.  The
DISTRIBUTIONS, MODERATORS, MOTD, and SUBSCRIPTIONS commands have been
implemented in INN for years and are supported by many NNTP clients, and
the additional status flags in LIST ACTIVE have been in use in INN for
many years.

LIST COUNTS is new in this document but closes a long-standing issue with
LIST ACTIVE that otherwise causes some clients to issue many separate
GROUP commands, and was added with the consultation of NNTP client
implementors.

I believe this document is a good addition to the set of NNTP standards.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>