Subject: 'Age' for webpages

From: Merin Tresa Willy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:20:19 +0530

Is a third dimension - 'age' necessary for webpages? Will its inclusion help
search engines and the like, to retrieve pages containing up-to-date data?
Or is there already any mechanism for retrieving the age of the contents of
dynamic web pages?

---

From: Ron Brash <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:32:01 +0100

It may be necessary to include a third dimension via a XML sitemap.  This is
useful for Google and other search engines to find 'semi-hidden' web pages
and to signal a crawl.  An example of this on a Drupal driven site is:
http://www.orangespike.ca/sitemap.xml

I don't know if Ietf is using for its backend.  Sorry.

Ron

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Merin Tresa Willy <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Is a third dimension - 'age' necessary for webpages? Will its inclusion
> help search engines and the like, to retrieve pages containing up-to-date
> data?
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>
>

-- 

Ron Brash
Systems Engineer / Web Developer
------------------------------------------------------------------

Tel +1 250 390 1550
Cell +1 250 616 6328
Cell +1 604-377-2254 (Other Cell)
Email  [email-masked]
Web http://www.orangespike.ca

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is
addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or
subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.

---

From: Merin Tresa Willy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:38:29 +0530

On 6/12/10, Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 06:50 PM, Merin Tresa Willy wrote:
>> Or is there already any mechanism for retrieving the age of the contents
>> of dynamic web pages?
>
> When you retrieve one, the server can tell you when it was last
> modified. Most servers do, even for most dynamic pages.
>
> Arnt
>
So is it possible to retrieve the actual time when the data on those
pages were last modified, rather than always giving the 'then current
time' as the last modified time for dynamic pages?