Subject: secdir review of draft-ietf-msec-ipsec-group-counter-modes

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:55:26 -0400

This is a secdir review of the above draft.

The text looks fine. However, I'm concerned that this specification does
not provide sufficient detail for interoperable implementation.  It
makes it clear that a GKMS needs to allocate SIDs but does not cite any
mechanism for a GKMS to do so.

I think you need to either add a normative reference to a hopefully
already existing description of how to distribute this parameter, or
recast this document as an informational document describing a general
method but not implementing a protocol.

---

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:33:44 -0700

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your review.

> method but not implementing a protocol.

There is an I-D for one GKMS (draft-ietf-msec-gdoi-update-06) that  
includes support for SIDs which could be referenced. It is expected to  
head to WGLC soon. Would citing that document address your concern?

Thanks,
Brian

> _______________________________________________
> secdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir

-- 
Brian Weis
Security Standards and Technology, ARTG, Cisco Systems
Telephone: +1 408 526 4796
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:01:32 -0400

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Weis <[email-masked]> writes:

    Brian> There is an I-D for one GKMS (draft-ietf-msec-gdoi-update-06)
    Brian> that includes support for SIDs which could be referenced. It
    Brian> is expected to head to WGLC soon. Would citing that document
    Brian> address your concern?

A normative reference to that would definitely address my concern.  An
informative reference would not.