Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-hammer-hostmeta (Web Host Metadata) to Proposed Standard

From: Norbert Lindenberg ♻ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 18:48:23 -0700

This document does not specify the character encoding to be used when  
interpreting character sequences and percent encoding them in section  
3.1.1, Template Syntax. The reference to RFC 3986 is insufficient, as  
RFC 3986 section 2 explicitly does not specify a character encoding  
and instead relies on usage context to do so.

This appears to be a violation of the IETF Policy on Character Sets  
and Languages, RFC 2277, section 3.1.

The document should either specify UTF-8 as the encoding to be used  
before percent-encoding, or (better) reference RFC 3987 section 3.1 as  
part of the conversion algorithm:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3987#section-3.1

Best regards,
Norbert

-------------------------------------
Norbert Lindenberg
Yahoo! Internationalization Architect

On Jun 25, 2010, at 05:30 , The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to  
> consider
> the following document:
>
> - 'Web Host Metadata '
>   <draft-hammer-hostmeta-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to  
> the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2010-07-23. Exceptionally,
> comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
> retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hammer-hostmeta-13.txt
>
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=19329&rfc_flag=0
>
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce