Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-nomcom-process-00.txt

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:41:56 +0200

Folks,

I've put together a brief document that groups recommendations together, 
according to the effort and requirements needed to implement them.

The document is at:

<http://www.bbiw.net/specifications/draft-crocker-nomcom-process-implement-00.html>

The groups are:

1. Existing Capabilities

    The recommendations in this section are already available. What is needed is 
more awareness and more exercise of them.

2. Ad Hoc Expert Initiative

    These Recommendations can be implemented by anyone having the motivation and 
knowledge. It requires no formal action and they do not require participation by 
specific people, although they might be aided through participation of 
individuals with particular expertise.

3. Nomcom Internal Procedures

    These recommendations may be implemented by action of the Nomcom, at its own 
initiative. No other formal actions are required

4. Formal IETF RFC Revision

    Adoption of these recommendations requires official modification of the RFC 
covering Nomcom.

d/
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-nomcom-process-00.txt
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 05:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Nomcom Enhancements: Improving the IETF leadership selection process

	Author(s)	: D. Crocker, S. Brim, J. Halpern, B. Wijnen, B. Leiba
	Filename	: draft-crocker-nomcom-process-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2010-7-26
	
Every year the IETF's Nominating Committee (Nomcom) reviews and
    selects half of the IETF's leadership on the IESG, IAB and IAOC/
    Trust.  In the 18 years since the inception of the Nomcom process,
    the Internet industry and the IETF have gone through many changes in
    funding, participation and focus, but not in the basic formation,
    structure or operation of Nomcom.  This paper explores challenges
    that have emerged in the conduct of Nomcom activities, particularly
    due to changing IETF demographics.  The paper reviews the nature,
    causes and consequences of these challenges, and proposes a number of
    specific changes.  The changes provide better communication of Nomcom
    institutional memory, enhance Nomcom membership expertise, and
    produce stronger confidentiality and etiquette practices among Nomcom
    participants.  Some changes require formal modification to Nomcom
    rules; others can be adopted immediately.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-nomcom-process-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.