Subject: draft-douglass-timezone-xml-00 & Presence

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 14:39:09 -0500

Doug/Cyrus

How is this unique wrt to what Presence has provided in XML for 4-6 
years? A comparison is at least preferable to what already exists for 
timezones in XML, IMO.

James

At 03:30 PM 7/5/2010, [email-masked] wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>         Title           : Timezone XML Specification
>         Author(s)       : M. Douglass, C. Daboo
>         Filename        : draft-douglass-timezone-xml-00.txt
>         Pages           : 18
>         Date            : 2010-07-05
>
>This specification describes a format for describing timezone
>information for software and services.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-douglass-timezone-xml-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-douglass-timezone-xml-00.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:45:21 -0400

Hi James,

> years? A comparison is at least preferable to what already exists for

Can you provide a specific reference to what you are referring to?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: todd glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 13:11:12 -0700

> years? A comparison is at least preferable to what already exists for

The other issue is how Jurisdiction is specified inside of a Time Zone,
for instance in the US each State while it may share timezone status
with other entities is its own Jurisdiction.

Originally it was thought that the TZ itself could double for the
jurisdiction of the data elements so constrained  but I think now we
need to specify both the concept of jurisdiction with the TZ as well.

Todd

> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:45:23 +0700

> Can you provide a specific reference to what you are referring to?

For example, see http://www.w3.org/TR/timezone/.

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 09:41:19 -0400

Hi Glen,

> For example, see http://www.w3.org/TR/timezone/.

Our draft is not about how you represent timezone (UTC offsets) in 
date-time values (which is mostly what that w3.org reference talks about).

Our draft is about representing timezone definitions (standard time 
offsets, daylight saving time rules, how they varying over time, etc) in 
XML. This is akin to iCalendar's VTIMEZONE data or zoneinfo data found on 
Unix systems (and in a more "raw" form the Olson timezone database). One of 
the primary goals for this is to support exchange of timezone definitions 
between system via a timezone service protocol 
(draft-douglass-timezone-service - another draft we submitted a short while 
ago).

I believe this is clear in our draft, though admittedly the abstract may 
not convey that in as much detail as it should (and I will endeavor to beef 
up the abstract to clarify this).

-- 
Cyrus Daboo