Subject: [79all] IETF Badge

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:14:04 -0500 (EST)

Some history

Back when the IETF decided to charge for meetings ($100/meeting sometime
in the early 1990s) Steve Coya said that the IETF would never check
badges to block people from meetings.

That, I think, was to indicate that people who could not afford to pay
could still attend.

But that was a very long time ago, and a few hundred dollars per meeting ago

I find it hard to get too bent out of shape that the IETF has joined the
world that every other conference I have gone to in the last 20 years
has been in, and I find it hard to get too bent out of shape about a
change in this level of meeting implementation detail not being subject
to a discussion on the IETF list (there have been many other, much more 
important, changes in meeting implementation which have not, and properly
so, been discussed by the community - e.g. the many tools.ietf.org support
tools, the additional remote participation abilities etc)

I find it amusing that there is more traffic on this topic on the IETF
discussion list than any issue that anyone in the world would see as an
actual issue.  This seems to be this year's cookie crises.  

To me, that means that this meeting is going rather well.

Scott

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:31:57 -0600

At 08:14 PM 11/11/2010, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
>This seems to be this year's cookie crises...

speaking of cookies, I haven't found satisfactory ones yet (anywhere)

;-)

BTW - otherwise, I've enjoyed the meeting and facilities here

James