Subject: Re: The death John McCarthy

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:39:10 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>

    > I request that the relevant authors and IETF working group rename what
    > it currently calls "LISP" to something else. 

Bob, don't you think the right time to ask for this would have been _when the
WG was set up_; or even before, when the IETF mailing list was set up?
Changing the name now, almost 5 years in, is just going to create even more
confusion - there are tons of documents, academic papers, etc, etc, etc which
all call it LISP.

(Note: I had _nothing_ to do with picking the name, which was picked before
I'd even heard of LISP, the networking concept, so this has nothing to do
with me being proprietary about the name.)

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:40:38 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>

    > Especially since the IETF "LISP" is a misnomer; it is not a
    > locator/identifier split. It's a global locator to site locator
    > mapping. This was pointed out some time ago...

You really don't want to go there. Really.

	Noel