Subject: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-04.txt

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:31:43 +0200

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>

Please resolve these comments along with any other comments you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-04.txt
Reviewer: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Review Date: 2011-10-23
IETF LC End Date: 2011-10-31

Summary: This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits that 
should be fixed before publication.

Major issues: none

Minor issues:

- Section 2 is titled "Overview". As such, I was expecting to find 
descriptive text that makes the reader easier to understand the 
technology that will be later described in detail and in a more normative 
way. However, this Section contains a number of normative texts already 
(MUSTs and MAYs), which defeats the purpose of an Overview Section. I 
wonder whether those MUSTs and MAYs words need to be really written there 
in that way, or whether the Overview section can be written in 
descriptive non-normative way.

My recommendation: Turn all this normative text into informative. Make 
sure that the normative text is written elsewhere later in the document.

- Section 2, second paragraph, says:

    Third, routers along the way MUST verify that loops do not exist with
    in the source route.

I don't know how to digest this sentence. If I am implementing the 
protocol, is there something I can do to comply with the "MUST"? Or is 
this "MUS"T addressing the operation of the network? I think it is a good 
recommendation for network administrators, in which case, it should be 
exactly like that, a recommendation, not normative. But please clarify 
the intention.

- Section 2, bullet points 1 and 2. Is there a reason why the "should" in 
the bullet point 1 is non-normative and the "SHOULD" in the second bullet 
point is normative?

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain