Subject: Re: Consensus Call (Update): draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 17:03:17 -0500 (EST)

> From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>

    > The CGN space seems like a very good place to use 240.0/10.
    > A single organization often controls and specifies all equipment which
    > will use the address space

Not _exclusively_ 240/, though, because as has been pointed out numerous
times, for many contemplated CGN deployments, the CPE equipment connected
directly to the CGN-fronted fabric will be that already owned by the
customers, and with home customers, that may cover a very, very wide stretch
of manufacturers and models - i.e. whatever those customers already own. And
many of them won't support 240/.

As I already pointed out:

    >> I suspect that CGNs are not, by and large, targetted to entirely new
    >> customers ... as customer bases grow, some ISPs don't have enough
    >> 'public' space to give one to each customer any more, so they want to
    >> deploy CGN - and they need address space for the chunk of fabric
    >> between the CGNs and the CPEs. In other words, its mostly _existing_
    >> customers who are about to be CGN'd.

But as I previously pointed out in another message (too lazy to dig it up),
I do think we should have a chunk of 240/ space as _part_ of the CGN
allocation.

	Noel

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:25:10 +1100

In message <[email-masked]>, Noel Chiappa write
> I do think we should have a chunk of 240/ space as _part_ of the CGN

And it needs a seperate I-D which indicates how equipement can signal
that it supports 240.0/10.  Returning such a address to equipment that
is not prepared to receive is a *very* bad idea.
 
> 	Noel
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]