Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-http-new-status-03.txt> (Additional HTTP Status Codes) to Proposed Standard

From: Riccardo Bernardini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 17:57:40 +0100

Hi all,
just a couple of doubts about this draft

1) In Section 3 (about code 428 Precondition Required) it is said that
"Responses
using this status code SHOULD explain how to resubmit the request
successfully." The example shown in Section 3 shows an error message
embedded in an HTML document.  What make me a bit uneasy is that a
precondition was required, but not inserted, usually it is not a fault of
the user, but of the client software. I am not sure that any explanation
associated with the error could be useful to the user...

2) Are really section 7.1 and 7.2 security related or would it better to
merge them with Section 3 and 4? Just a doubt...

Riccardo

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:23:55 +0100

On 2011-12-16 17:57, Riccardo Bernardini wrote:
> "Responses using this status code SHOULD explain how to resubmit the
> request successfully." The example shown in Section 3 shows an error
> message embedded in an HTML document.  What make me a bit uneasy is that
> a precondition was required, but not inserted, usually it is not a fault
> of the user, but of the client software. I am not sure that any
> explanation associated with the error could be useful to the user...

...not to the user, but potentially to somebody debugging the code.