Subject: Re: Interconnecting Smart Objects with the Internet - Technical Plenary at IETF 82, Taipei

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:04:55 +0200

Hi Vinayak,

I don't remember three papers but the second paper that was mentioned was

Estrin, D., Govindan, R., Heidemann, J., Kumar, S., "Next Century 
Challenges: Scalable Coordination in Sensor Networks" Proceedings of the 
5th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networks 
(MobiCOM'99), Seattle, Washington, pps. 263-270, August 15-20, 1999.

Here is the link to the paper:
http://research.cens.ucla.edu/people/estrin/resources/conferences/1999aug-Govindan-Estrin-Next.pdf

The "IP is Dead, Long Live IP for Wireless Sensor Networks" paper was 
quite interesting since it aimed to get researchers to re-think their 
approach for designing sensor network. How often have you seen research 
papers starting with "The Internet was never designed with *foo* in 
mind..." (replace *foo* with the topic of the paper, like content 
caching, security, mobility, privacy, etc.)? Then, the rest of the paper 
isn't about analysis what cannot be done with the current Internet 
protocols (or what the perceived problems are) but rather about yet 
another clean slate design.

Ciao
Hannes

PS: Btw, the architecture-discuss list will be used for discussions 
related to Internet architecture:
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss

On 23.11.2011 10:36, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Someone who walked up to the mike for asking questions during the
> Technical Plenary. He suggested 3 papers that people should read. One
> of them was the one below. Does anyone know what the other two were in
> this area ?
>
> IP is Dead, Long Live IP for Wireless Sensor Networks
> www.cs.berkeley.edu/~jwhui/pubs/jhui-sensys08-ipv6.pdf
>
> Regards
> Vinayak
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf