Subject: Re: "class E" (was: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request)

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:19:10 -0500 (EST)

> From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>

    > Given that we just saw a /16 sold for $12/ip, what makes you think that
    > any carrier would open up a /10 allocated to them for the good of
    > humanity, at a potential future asset loss of $50m?

I hear you, but... if these things are worth so much, why are the RIR's just
giving them away? (Rhetorical question: I know the answer.)

I mean, it really drives me a bit batty that, under current rules, ISP's
I1...In can all go to their RIRs, and each be given a block of space for
free, to support future customers, and under those current rules, the RIRs
pretty much _have_ to give them the space, but... we have a hard time giving
those same ISPs _one_ block instead, to share.

Too bad the RIRs can't say 'OK we changed our policy, no more address blocks
for free - but if you ask for one for a _shared_ purpose, that we can do'.

    > From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>

    > I assume that there aren't any CPE deployed behind CGN today.

Well, I actually suspect there are - but other strategies are being used to
provide the address space for those CGNs (per-ISP 'public' space; 1918-space;
squatted space; etc, etc).

    > a CGN deployment is a new deployment and the ISPs choosing to do this
    > could make sure that their customers CPE can support class E addresses

I suspect that CGNs are not, by and large, targetted to entirely new
customers: if they were, it might work to say 'equipment you buy to connect
must meet standards A, B and C'. Rather, I suspect that as customer bases
grow, some ISPs don't have enough 'public' space to give one to each customer
any more, so they want to deploy CGN - and they need address space for the
chunk of fabric between the CGNs and the CPEs. In other words, its mostly
_existing_ customers who are about to be CGN'd.

	Noel