Subject: FCC Names Henning Schulzrinne Chief Technology Officer

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:07:22 -0800

http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-names-henning-schulzrinne-chief-technology-officer

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:30:40 -0500

It's a great appointment and the IETF community should rightfully be
thrilled and excited. 

I'm a cross posting a note I made to the RAI DISPATCH List. 

There are interesting things going on with core Layer 7 services and itsnot
US centric. Its is the beginning of the transition of the entire real time
communications service to IP networks.  

********

And yours truly was the opening act at the Workshop. 

Henning is absolutely right here. 

If there was ever a time for the RAI community to reach out the policy folks
its now. 

BTW if you really want to understand what is going on here you can add this
to your holiday reading list.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1122/FCC-11-1
61A1.pdf

War and Peace without the plot. If it seems overwhelming, it is but
regulators have to deal with the law as it is, not as they would prefer it
to be.

Though some of these issues are US specific I would suspect that other
national jurisdictions will start to take up these issues in the upcoming
months and years.

There are very relevant technical issues our community might have to deal
with or certainly clarify. The above order specifically calls out non
modification of the SIP headers by forwarding elements as it might relate to
billing data such as Calling Party Number or SS7 Charge number. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 2:06 PM
To: Paul Kyzivat
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dispatch] FYI FCC NAMES HENNING SCHULZRINNE CHIEF TECHNOLOGY
OFFICER

VoIP and related issues will play a major role in the FCC's work in the next
year or two. For example, the FCC Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will be
looking at the "PSTN transition"; a video of a recent workshop can be found
at

http://www.fcc.gov/events/public-switched-telephone-network-transition-0

The Commission needs input from technically-oriented folks. Thus, don't
hesitate to contact me if you or your organization wants to stop by at the
Commission, or you have information you want to share. (FCC staff meets with
both individuals and groups regularly, both within the rule making process
and outside. No campaign donation or JD degree required.)

For what it's worth, I've been tasked with outreach to standardization
organizations as one of my responsibilities.

Henning

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Fred
Baker
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 5:07 PM
To: IETF Discussion
Subject: FCC Names Henning Schulzrinne Chief Technology Officer 

http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-names-henning-schulzrinne-chief-technology-o
fficer
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:18:13 +0200

Henning's encouraging words on the DISPATCH mailing list to get us more
involved in the discussions in the regulatory environment are timely.
Not only do we see the transition of voice technologies from the PSTN
over to IP but there are plenty of other debates where technical input
could be helpful. 

The information flow of course goes into two directions.

1) We have many cases where IETF work needs to be explained to others
who are far less involved in the development of technical standards. As
an example take a look at the privacy and security ("Cyber Security")
discussions.

2) There are cases where work is created due to regulatory requirements.
The most recent example that comes to my mind is the IETF PAWS working
group. 

While many of us had been quite reluctant to reach out to a
non-technical community (and the regulatory community in particular) it
may be useful to re-think that approach. There are many ways to share
information about the work we do and to also get feedback. Many
regulatory bodies issue "call for comments" and would be interested to
hear the views of those who develop the technology. I frequently meet
IETF participants at workshops and conferences were we keep other
academic communities and members of other standards organizations
up-to-date but the interaction with regulators and other government
bodies is different. A high level presentation that puts our work in a
broader context is often more useful than a detailed technical snapshot.

I am sure that some of you will now get worried because of the believe
that the technology we develop in the IETF is "just a building block"
and therefore "deployment neutral". If you indeed believe that then you
may want to look at the following write-up:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-morris-policy-cons-00

Ciao
Hannes
 
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> ext Richard Shockey
> Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:31 AM
> To: 'Fred Baker'; 'IETF Discussion'
> Subject: RE: FCC Names Henning Schulzrinne Chief Technology Officer
> 
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1122/FCC
> -11-1
> regulators have to deal with the law as it is, not as they would
prefer
> it
> VoIP and related issues will play a major role in the FCC's work in
the
> next
http://www.fcc.gov/events/public-switched-telephone-network-transition-
> 0
> Commission, or you have information you want to share. (FCC staff
meets
> with
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Fred