Subject: Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:26:49 -0500 (EST)

> From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>

    > there is nothing to stop customers from using the new block internally
    > ...
    > because the pain of dealing with customers who are using your CGN block
    > internally is going to exist anyway, why not just use the least popular
    > 1918 block(s) for this purpose and deal with the conflicts when they
    > arise?

That's definitely something to think about.

One point the other way is that in using 1918 space in their sites, customers
are doing _nothing wrong_ - in fact, they are doing just what the spec says
they should do. On the other hand, a customer using CGN space in their site
_would_ be doing something that's counter to a spec. I'm not sure how much
good that will be for an ISP dealing with an upset customer, but it might be
of some value. Can ISP people chime in on this?

	Noel

---

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:31:51 -0800

On 12/3/2011 5:26 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> of some value.

This argument has been raised before, but IMO the value is exactly zero.
The fact that you have a finger to wag at someone doesn't make the costs
of dealing with the conflict any smaller.

Doug

-- 

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."

	Breadth of IT experience, and depth of knowledge in the DNS.
	Yours for the right price.  :)  http://SupersetSolutions.com/