Subject: License Disclosure Protocol - a Research and then Standards Track Proposal

From: todd glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:22:37 -0800

Folks - FIRST OFF THANKS FOR READING THIS -

I want to propose a new thing here that we as technologists can provide
the world with and that is a uniform method of disclosing the RIGHTS TO
USE status with any Internet based service.

You say what would that pertain to? The answer is that there are many
protocols in use today which just assume (by the design that they make
no provisions for using their services - in re the licensing and that
this is a problem).

This  newly emerged need is VERY important in fighting delivery access
and control processing.

What I want to propose is that there are use licenses attached to things
like DNS Name Conversions which can be used to attack the spammers of
the world in courts and to also provide better protection from Internet
abuse since these will pertain to routing as well.

I am pretty sure this will be a somewhat unpopular idea but it is an
important idea and one which really needs to happen formally whether you
take this commentary from me or not.

Therefore - I suggest that the IETF WG open a 'research project' to
formally look into how a licensing and control protocol for disclosing
licensing to end-users could be implemented and how that would be used
with existing protocols including the IPv6 forward routing controls.

Todd

-- 
Todd S. Glassey
This is from my personal email account and any materials from this
account come with personal disclaimers.

Further I OPT OUT of any and all commercial emailings.