Subject: Story: "Next battle over Net ramps up worldwide"

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:04:34 -0500 (EST)

For those who haven't seen it, here:

  Next battle over Net ramps up worldwide
  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71625.html

is an interesting story, one which is also fairly accurate (often not true
of major media stories about the Internet).

	Noel

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:54:35 -0500

--On Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:04 -0500 Noel Chiappa
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> is an interesting story, one which is also fairly accurate
> (often not true of major media stories about the Internet).

Yes, although to describe ICANN's decision making process as a
"technical body" or "mostly devoid of politics" requires living
in a reality different from that understood by anyone who has
followed their policy development processes in recent years.
Maybe this is even ok, but...

    john

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:01:40 +0100

What this story refers to is the World Conference on International
Telecommunications.

DID YOU KNOW?

... that the Internet currently runs through a loophole in these
international regulations that were last amended in the 1980s?

... that there are some countries who would like to exert more control
over what protocols run on the Internet?

If you didn't know, perhaps you might want to engage with ISOC to learn
more about this.  Check out http://www.internetsociety.org/regulation.

Eliot

On 1/19/12 5:04 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:51:55 +1300

And don't assume that just because ISOC is on the case that this
situation is covered. It's a real threat and every ITU Secretary-General
since 1999* has been trying to grab these powers, supported by more
or less authoritarian governments.

*The last S-G who was not trying this was Pekke Tarjanne, who was largely
responsible for telecom liberalisation at the international level. He left
office in January 1999.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:11:58 -0500

> Maybe this is even ok, but...

To Politico, I think "devoid of politics" means there are no
Republicans or Democrats involved, and the nodes in our protocol
state machines aren't colored red or blue...

		--Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb