Subject: Conclusion of Last Call for draft-ietf-sieve-convert and draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:32:28 -0600

I wanted to inform the community of the results of the second Last Call 
issued for draft-ietf-sieve-convert and 
draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message. To remind you of the circumstances: 
After these two documents were approved by the IESG and sent on to the 
RFC Editor, an IPR disclosure was made pertaining to each of them 
indicating that one of the document editors for both documents was also 
the listed inventor for the disclosed patent. The disclosures were made 
by the document editor's employer and indicate that the date of the 
patent filings was prior to the adoption of these two drafts by the 
SIEVE working group. The RFC Editor was asked to suspend their work on 
the documents, and a second Last Call was made.

After reviewing discussions in the SIEVE WG and on the IETF mailing 
list, the chairs have decided (and I support) that, because of the 
failure to disclose the IPR as required by BCP 79 (RFC 3979), and as per 
RFC 2418 Section 6.1, the following actions are appropriate and will be 
taken:

- The document editor in question is no longer a document editor for 
these two documents.
- The person's name will be removed from the front page of the documents 
and from the Authors' Address section.
- The person's name will be added to the Acknowledgments section of both 
documents to identify that he did contribute text to the drafts.
- The RFC Editor will be asked to continue processing and publication of 
these drafts as RFCs.

We will be notifying the RFC Editor of this decision presently.

Meanwhile, the employer of the document editor in question has made 
followup disclosures on each of the documents, saying that they 
"covenant not to assert any such claim against any party for making, 
using, selling, offering for sale or importing a product that implements 
the corresponding part of the specification." The full text of the 
disclosures can be seen here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1680/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1681/

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:12:27 +0100

Pete

I agree with what you have done but would like to see it recorded in something
more accessible than an e-mail archive.  Could it be added to the data tracker,
under IESG evaluation or IESG writeup or some such?

Tom Petch

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:03:27 -0500

Good idea. I've added a comment to the tracker in the History section 
for both documents.

pr

On 2/29/12 4:12 AM, t.petch wrote:
> From: "Pete Resnick"<[email-masked]>
> To: "IETF-Discussion list"<[email-masked]>
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>