Subject: RE: Issues relating to managing a mailing list...

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 01:06:52 -0400 (EDT)

Since there's no way to pick one choice which will make most people happy
(whichever one is picked, the proponents of the other will be unhappy), maybe
we should try and avoid making a choice? We could have two different back-end
distributions versions of the list: one which strips attachments, and one
which doesn't (both fed from the same input name). Then, people can sign up
for whichever one they prefer. ("All problems in computer science can be
solved by another level of indirection", etc, etc.)

    Noel

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:17:44 -0400

+1 on having two options, by some means.  Having a low bandwidth
distribution of text only is a very good idea, but there are more
people who want attachments intact, and problems in having the
stripped version be the archive version.  If it's too difficult to
provide an option, I apologize to Randy but I would recommend keeping
attachments attached -- most mail environments have a way to download
just the first <n>K of a message.