Subject: NomCom: Call for Nominations - IAOC Mid-Term Vacancy

From: NomCom Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:54:17 -0800

The IETF Nominating Committee (NomCom) has been asked to fill the 
IAOC position previously held by Marshall Eubanks. Therefore, the 
NomCom is soliciting nominations for individuals who would be a good 
choice to fill this position.

The desired qualifications for IAOC members can be found at: 
https://www.ietf.org/group/nomcom/2012/iaoc-requirements

The NomCom is currently considering the following three individuals for 
the IAOC position previously held by Dave Crocker. The NomCom will 
additionally consider these individuals to fill the mid-term vacancy on the 
IAOC:
-- Randy Bush
-- Tobias Gondrom
-- Chris Griffiths

If you know of another individual that the NomCom should consider in 
filling the mid-term vacancy on the IAOC, please send email to 
[email-masked]. As always, the NomCom is happy to accept self-
nominations.

The NomCom wishes to move as quickly as possible in filling this mid-term 
vacancy. Therefore, if you have a Nomination to make, please do so by 
Monday, December 3.

Thank you for your help,
- Matt Lepinski
  [email-masked]

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:46:54 -0500

I am confused, is the NomCon filling one position here or two?

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Matthew Lepinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:01:22 -0500

I apologize for the confusion.

The NomCom, as part of its annual work, is required to fill the IAOC
position currently held by Dave Crocker. This position is a two-year
term starting in March 2013. The NomCom previously requested nominees
for this position and has received community feedback on these
nominees. The NomCom will make a public announcement about this
position once we have completed the confirmation process.

Additionally, the IAOC has a mid-term vacancy that was created by the
resignation of Marshall Eubanks. Marshall was serving a two year term
that began in March 2012. The NomCom has been asked to find an
individual to serve out the rest of Marshall's term. The first step in
filling this vacancy is to request nominations from the community of
individuals the NomCom should consider for this position.

I hope this provides some additional clarity.
- Matt Lepinski

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:10:31 +0000

I think Dave is scheduled to be replaced anyway in March, and now they need to fill two positions: one immediately (Marshal's) and one in March.

The question they're asking is whether they should be considering additional names now that (a) there's two positions to fill, and (b) one of them needs to be filled real soon.

On Nov 20, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM, NomCom Chair <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

If you know of another individual that the NomCom should consider in
filling the mid-term vacancy on the IAOC, please send email to
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>. As always, the NomCom is happy to accept self-
nominations.

Thank you for your help,
- Matt Lepinski
  [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

Email secured by Check Point

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:20:38 +0000

I think this is a point of confusion, anyway.

I thought the process was for the previous NomCom to be coopted to address any
unexpected mid-term vacancies, rather than to add the burden to the current
NomCom.

Has this changed?

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Yoav Nir
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:11 AM
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker
Cc: IETF Announcement List; <[email-masked]>; NomCom Chair
Subject: Re: NomCom: Call for Nominations - IAOC Mid-Term Vacancy

Thank you for your help,
- Matt Lepinski

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 07:37:57 -0800

Hi Eric,
>unexpected mid-term vacancies, rather than to add the burden to the current

   "First, when there is only one official nominating committee, the
    body with the mid-term vacancy relegates the responsibility to
    fill the vacancy to it.  If the mid-term vacancy occurs during the
    period of time that the term of the prior year's nominating
    committee overlaps with the term of the current year's nominating
    committee, the body with the mid-term vacancy must relegate the
    responsibility to fill the vacancy to the prior year's nominating
    committee."

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:43:05 -0500

Hi Eric,

> unexpected mid-term vacancies, rather than to add the burden to the current

The previous Nomcom stayed constituted until the Atlanta meeting. If the
vacancy was announced before Atlanta, the previous Nomcom would have
filled the position. Right now, there is only one constituted Nomcom and
it has to fill the position.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:50:22 -0500

> it has to fill the position.

Suresh has it right; from RFC 3777:

       The term of a nominating committee begins when its members are
       officially announced.  The term ends at the Third IETF (not three
       meetings), i.e., the IETF meeting after the next nominating
       committee's term begins.

- Ralph

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:51:23 +0000

Okay, thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Krishnan 
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:43 AM
To: Eric Gray
Cc: Yoav Nir; Phillip Hallam-Baker; NomCom Chair; <[email-masked]>; IETF Announcement List
Subject: Re: NomCom: Call for Nominations - IAOC Mid-Term Vacancy
Importance: High

Hi Eric,

> unexpected mid-term vacancies, rather than to add the burden to the 

The previous Nomcom stayed constituted until the Atlanta meeting. If the vacancy was announced before Atlanta, the previous Nomcom would have filled the position. Right now, there is only one constituted Nomcom and it has to fill the position.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:52:44 +0000

Ralph,

	Thanks for the confirmation.

--
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:50 AM
To: Eric Gray
Cc: Phillip Hallam-Baker; IETF Announcement List; IETF list discussion; NomCom Chair; Suresh Krishnan
Subject: Re: NomCom: Call for Nominations - IAOC Mid-Term Vacancy
Importance: High

On Nov 20, 2012, at 10:43 AM 11/20/12, Suresh Krishnan wrote:

> The previous Nomcom stayed constituted until the Atlanta meeting. If 
> the vacancy was announced before Atlanta, the previous Nomcom would 
> have filled the position. Right now, there is only one constituted 
> Nomcom and it has to fill the position.

- Ralph

---

From: Matthew Lepinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:54:03 -0500

Phil,