Subject: Selection of a replacement IAOC member

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 14:47:30 -0700

Hello,

The IAOC Chair posted a message about the IAOC appointing a 
replacement liaison to the IETF NomCom after learning from the NomCom 
chair that Marshall had not responded to emails from the NomCom chair. [1]

According to BCP 113:

   "However, if the appointed member is unable to serve the full
    two-year term, the selecting body may, at its discretion,
    immediately select a replacement to serve the remainder of the
    term using the interim process defined in Section 3.5.1."

Mr Marshall Eubanks was selected by the 2011-2012 IETF Nominating 
Committee [2].  Given that Mr Marshall Eubanks has not responded to 
emails from the NomCom Chair it would appreciated if NomCom could determine:

  (a) Whether the appointed member is unable to serve the full two-year term

  (b) Select a replacement to serve the remainder of the term using the
      interim process

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg10812.html
2. https://datatracker.ietf.org/ann/nomcom/3291/

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 20:15:49 -0400

>
>  it would appreciated if NomCom could determine:
>

This is decidedly NOT something that any process empowers the NomCom chair
to do.  Matt could certainly give his opinion as an individual, but I can't
see under what process it would have any official weight.

Barry

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 18:14:55 -0700

Hi Barry,
At 17:15 02-11-2012, Barry Leiba wrote:
>This is decidedly NOT something that any process empowers the NomCom 
>chair to do.  Matt could certainly give his opinion as an 
>individual, but I can't see under what process it would have any 
>official weight.

I mentioned NomCom instead of NomCom Chair as that's the selecting 
body.  These individuals have been selected according to the 
algorithm from RFC 3797 [1].  None of these individuals are members 
of the IAB, IESG or IAOC.

My request does not prevent the Member Recall petition from being 
pursued.  For the sake of disclosure, I do not have any interest in 
common with the IAOC member except for IETF participation.  The 
request was not discussed with anybody.  I am deferring to the 
nominating committee to see whether BCP 113 is applicable, and if so, 
take whatever action it deems appropriate.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://datatracker.ietf.org/ann/nomcom/50952/

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:38:26 -0700

>   (a) Whether the appointed member is unable to serve the full two-year

Nomcom has no authority to make that determination.

d/

-- 
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net