Subject: IETF Meeting in South America

From: I rob <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 01:16:59 -0300

Hello,

I agree with the Idea of a IETF meeting in South America.

I think it is a way to let the people know about IETF (of course there are
other ways, but this is a good one), to give the possibility to
students/engineers with very good skills to get into the IETF, thinking
that it is going to be published in universities in advance, to give time
to students to enroll to a mailing list and read the drafts to be presented.

Talking about my personal experience, I am pretty new in the IETF, but
since I have been involved, I teach my students (from Argentina)  about it,
I tell them, that they can participate, that is open, and I realize that
they didn't know it.

I understand that usually the place is chosen based on the most of
participant origin, but I think a meeting in Latin America is a
good opportunity to give the possibility to people from that region to know
about the IETF.

Kind Regards,

Ines Robles.

------------------------------

I would like to follow up on this proposal. Having a meeting in South
America scheduled two or three years in advance will let us engage
local organisations and individuals on a "project". We did several
activities in the region trying to encourage IETF participation, but
we're going to be much more effective if they're part of a plan with a
strong commitment (and effort) from the IETF community.

Since this opportunity was announced, there were several contacts and
proposals from different groups asking for additional information,
suggesting things to do, asking for details, etc. We now have a much
more fertile ground to do multiple things.

 Going further will also enrich the IETF work and community (making it
more international becomes a side effect). In this region there are
many engineers, software developers, people at Universities, etc. that
could provide new ideas and energy to the IETF.

Christian

---

From: "GT RAMIREZ, Medel G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:18:00 +0800

Hi,

How about in the Philippines? I can show my homeland...

I can help facilitate the event, why don't you give it a try!

Regards

Medel

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
I rob
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IETF Meeting in South America

Hello,

I think it is a way to let the people know about IETF (of course there
are other ways, but this is a good one), to give the possibility to
students/engineers with very good skills to get into the IETF, thinking
that it is going to be published in universities in advance, to give
time to students to enroll to a mailing list and read the drafts to be
presented.

Talking about my personal experience, I am pretty new in the IETF, but
since I have been involved, I teach my students (from Argentina)  about
it, I tell them, that they can participate, that is open, and I realize
that they didn't know it.   

I understand that usually the place is chosen based on the most of
participant origin, but I think a meeting in Latin America is a good
opportunity to give the possibility to people from that region to know
about the IETF. 

Kind Regards,

Ines Robles.

Christian

This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or the entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this E-mail message immediately.

---

From: Jorge Amodio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 00:28:23 -0500

Just wondering if some folks realize that IETF meetings are not missionary trips, conferences, conventions or industry trade shows ...

-Jorge

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 01:09:14 -0700

At 22:18 28-05-2013, GT RAMIREZ, Medel G. wrote:
>How about in the Philippines? I can show my homeland…
>I can help facilitate the event, why don’t you give it a try!

In the message that was quoted the person mentioned that:

   "I understand that usually the place is chosen based on the most of
    participant origin"

The person also mentioned explaining to students 
that the IETF is open to them and that they can 
participate.  I believe that the person will not 
be explaining that incorrectly.

At 05:46 28-05-2013, Eric Burger wrote:
>Riiight. That is why one never has to attend an 
>IETF meeting in person to serve on NOMCOM, one 
>does not need travel support from one's employer 
>to be on the IESG, and why people who never come 
>to IETF meetings are the rule and not the 
>exception with respect to getting documents adopted and published.

I wasn't unable to attend an IETF meeting some 
time ago due to an administrative issue.  The 
proposal I intended to discuss about (it was 
discussed during a session) was not 
adopted.  With hindsight I'll say that the 
proposal would not have been adopted as I would 
have made the mistake of not following IETF "culture".

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 10:49:12 +0200

Hello,

Thanks alot, we need people like you that tell others about IETF and
its real culture, or what they can do by using IETF. If
people/community can know what they can do, they will participate. Are
the IETF management contacting Internet Societies in South America
about participation, and what was the response? That information is
important to know if the meeting will make difference or not.

The IETF management need to do effort as well to encourage people like
you are doing. We need experts from South America to be involved and
we hope that IETF management contact the region's experts to encourage
participation. The experts then will reply to IETF management and tell
them their needs and ask to solve their problems of using IETF or
problems of participation. Most probably they have already tried but
left as I was always thinking to do but did not.

AB

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 11:19:32 +0200

> have made the mistake of not following IETF "culture".

I don't think I should follow the IETF culture to make my I-D adopted
by WG, but I may follow the good/technical reasons the WG provide. We
need to follow the technology/region/users needs for the Internet
purposes. The Internet is a global network that is present in all
regions, each region may have different needs and similar needs. So if
my document was not adopted by WGs, then there SHOULD be a good
technical reason (not that I did not follow cultures). I think that
IETF follows up with the Internet developers, users and participants
(within South America and others).

AB

---

From: Ines Robles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:36:53 -0300

Hello,

Kind Regards,

Ines Robles.

Christian

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:43:04 -0700

>by WG, but I may follow the good/technical reasons the WG provide. We

If a working group does not show any interest in working on an I-D it 
is a good enough reason, in my opinion, for the I-D not to be adopted.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy