Subject: Accessing tools from IETF pages

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:05:11 +0100

I wanted to submit an I-D so I wanted to access the tools, as I have
done before, so I clicked on 'IETF Tools' from
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/
and when that failed tried again with 'Tools Team Pages' from
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/
with the same result.  Can anyone else get to tools from that link?

It resolves to
http://tools.ietf.org/
which Internet Explorer (what else?) assures me cannot be displayed,
either from the link or from typing it into the Open drop down.

The trouble ticket drew a response of

"It sounds like the tools pages were experiencing some issues that have
now been resolved."

Well, for a few milliseconds, perhaps, but I get the same response
24x7x365x...

Not that easily put off, I found a way around it (thank you, Google),
but in the spirit of wanting others to be able to do what I can (with
some difficulty) do, I would like those links to work (or to disappear).

Tom Petch

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 20:08:07 +0100

Both links work just fine from a selection of browsers/os/machines other
than Msoft. (Firefox, Evolution, Chrome)  It also works on an old
version of IE8 but reports errors.

Presumably turning off some strict error checking in IE allows it to
display.

Running the page through the W3C HTML validator reports 14 Errors and 3
Warnings:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftools.ietf.org%
2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%
29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.3+http%3A%2F%
2Fvalidator.w3.org%2Fservices

/Elwyn

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:37:45 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "t.p." <[email-masked]>
> 

Well, all three of those links work for me at "May 8 19:33:01 UTC
2013" using Firefox 18.0.2 on Linux.  (For whatever that is worth.)

I'd sniff the HTTP transaction to get some information on the specific
failure mode.

Dale

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 09:13:36 +0100

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
To: "t.p." <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: Accessing tools from IETF pages

Dale

Many thanks for that; if others can get to it, then that resolves my
issue, I can always  go via other means, until I get myself a trace and
see what is really going on.

Tom Petch

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:24:31 -0400

Tom,

There's a "compatibility view" button in recent versions of IE that I've
found helps with some websites. See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features/compatibility-view.
You can also find it in the Tools menu.

Cheers,
Andy