Subject: DKIM promotion to Internet Standard status

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 18:57:07 -0400

As a commercial implementer and acknowledged contributor to the DKIM 
protocol IETF project, with some reservation, I would like to add my 
support for the promotion of the DKIM protocol to Internet Standard (IS) 
status.

For the record, I would like to state that there still remains 
inconsistent reputation modeling of DKIM that has not paid off. DKIM 
processing has offered no value in message evaluations.  No persistent 
or consistent trust framework ("Batteries Required") has emerged for 
MTAs, MDAs, MSAs, MUAs or any other DKIM processor.  In fact, the higher 
potential model (Author Domain Policies) which was intentionally 
separated from DKIM continues to be the trend in currently explored 
augmented protocols to help protect the DKIM signature layer.  Author 
Domain Policies such as ADSP, and extensions ATPS, ASL and now DMARC has 
emerged to provide signature protection and handling guidelines for 
domains and receivers.   This Author Domain Policy framework is not 
depicted, by design, in the DKIM  proposed standard protocol. However, 
it is depicted in other RFC documents, such as the Threat Analysis 
(RFC4686), DKIM Deployment Guide (RFC5863) and the DKIM overview 
(RFC5585) informational publications. Perhaps some update in the future 
can correct this design and market inconsistency and explicitly provide 
knowledge of the alternative frameworks available for DKIM.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.